|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What town do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman reach before anyone realizes Mr. Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor are dead?
2. What does the Governor have a "furious lust" for?
3. In Chapter 8, what are Candide and Cunégonde doing when Mr. Issachar arrives?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Sitting on the couch.
(c) Having coffee.
4. How was the old woman's mother killed?
(a) Four men grabbed her mother's limbs and tore her to pieces.
(b) The captain of the ship disembowled her.
(c) She was scalped and left to die.
(d) She was forced to walk the plank into shark infested waters.
5. How many people die in the war between the Bulgars and the Avars?
(a) One hundred.
(c) One million.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does the Baron attain in the Jesuit military?
2. How does Candide justify the murders he committed?
3. What happens after Candide gives away his coins in Chapter 4?
4. What does Pangloss lose after his treatment?
5. Who is rumored to be the son of the Baron's sister and a gentleman from the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Candide when he cannot find Cacambo in Venice?
2. When Candide reunites with Paquette, the maid from Westphalia, how does she describe her life since they last were together and what details does she provide?
3. Describe the argument that Candide and Cunégonde's brother have regarding Candide's intentions for Cunégonde, and explain what happens as a result.
4. What do Candide and Pangloss experience when they get to Lisbon, and how do they respond?
5. How was Cunégonde's brother healed after Candide stabbed him and what events followed?
6. What are Cunégonde's misfortunes?
7. What does Candide's new traveling companion, Martin, have to say about the condition of the world as he sees it?
8. How has Cunégonde's appearance changed when Candide finds her on the banks of Propontis? How do Candide's and Cunégonde's reactions to her change in appearance differ?
9. In Buenos Aires, describe the problem that arises from Candide's honesty.
10. In Chapter 18, where do Candide and Cacambo go first to learn about Eldorado?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)