|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fate of the Franciscan who had stolen Cunégonde's money and jewels?
(a) He is in jail.
(b) He is now the Governor of Buenos Aires.
(c) He is hanged.
(d) He is burned.
2. How many generations of nobility does Cunégonde count in her family?
3. Which of the following does Pangloss say to a survivor of the natural disaster in Lisbon?
(a) Life is a blessing.
(b) Good things come to those who wait.
(c) Everything happens for a reason.
(d) Happiness is what you make of it.
4. Who is the court's banker?
(a) Don Issachar.
(b) Cunégonde's uncle.
(c) The old lady's husband.
(d) The Grand Inquisitor's illegitimate son.
5. Who does the old woman say her parents were?
(a) Pope Urban X and the Princess of Palestrina.
(b) Archduke Ferdinand and his scullery maid.
(c) Baron Rothschild and the Princess of Monrovia.
(d) Tsar Nicholas I and an English duchess.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is on the ship that has been spotted in the Buenos Aires harbor?
2. For whose side does Cacambo encourage Candide to fight?
3. Candide meets two men in the town of Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff. To whom do they drink?
4. What does the old woman reveal about her past in Chapter 10?
5. How are Candide and Cunégonde reunited?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Cunégonde's appearance changed when Candide finds her on the banks of Propontis? How do Candide's and Cunégonde's reactions to her change in appearance differ?
2. What is the Baron's son's explanation as to why he is a galley slave?
3. What kinds of events happened as part of the preparations for the Princess of Palestrina's wedding?
4. Who comes to "help" Candide recover from his illness?
5. What are the fates available to the castrati?
6. Describe the meeting of Candide with Cunegonde in Chapter 29.
7. What is the ritual when one meets the king in Eldorado? What does Candide expect the ritual to be before he is told?
8. Describe the argument that Candide and Cunégonde's brother have regarding Candide's intentions for Cunégonde, and explain what happens as a result.
9. Explain why Candide is made a captain of the infantry in Cadiz.
10. What odd encounter occurs on the way to Constantinople?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)