|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman when the bodies of Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor are found?
(a) About two miles from the house.
(b) The town of Avecena.
(c) Saddling the horses.
(d) Far out to sea.
2. Cacambo is what percent Spanish?
(a) One sixteenth.
(b) One quarter.
(c) One half.
(d) Three quarters.
3. What does Candide give the beggar when he sees him on the street?
(a) A slap in the face.
(b) The two coins Jacques gave him.
(c) A piece of bread.
(d) A job.
4. How does the old woman describe the location where she was raised?
(a) Much grander than that in Westphalia.
(b) Perched high on a mountaintop.
(c) As grand as the King's palace.
(d) Like a fortress with a wide moat around it.
5. Where is the castle where Candide is raised?
(a) South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Candide a chance to escape the Bulgarians?
2. Who offers Candide food, two coins, a place to stay, and a job in Chapter 3?
3. What is the setting of the first chapter?
4. Why is Candide put in charge of the Cadiz soldiers?
5. How does Candide kill Mr. Issachar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cacambo want to go to Cayenne?
2. Why does Candide have no interest in seeing France despite never having been there before?
3. What complication arises when a Spanish ship arrives in Buenos Aires?
4. Why does the Baron still not want Cunégonde to marry Candide?
5. What is Pangloss's occupation and what message does he convey?
6. Why is an auto-da-fé deemed necessary in Lisbon?
7. What event results in the reunion of Candide and Cunégonde and how?
8. Describe the misfortune that befalls the runaway Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman on the way to Cadiz.
9. How does Candide respond when Cunegonde reminds him of his promise to marry her? Why?
10. Who do Cunégonde, Candide, and the old woman visit when they arrive in Buenos Aires and how does he respond to them?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)