|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacques do when Candide asks him for charity?
(a) Jacques tells him to go away.
(b) Jacques offers him food, coins, a place to stay, and a job.
(c) Jacques tries to kill Candide.
(d) Jacques turns Candide over to the Bulgarians.
2. What gives Candide a chance to escape the Bulgarians?
(a) The chaos of war.
(b) A very dark night.
(c) A monk's habit he finds.
(d) A snow storm.
3. What is stolen from Cunégonde?
(a) Her shoes.
(b) Her money and diamonds.
(c) Her Bible.
(d) Her clothes.
4. Which of the following is not a reason the old woman tells Cunégonde she should stay with the governor?
(a) She is his equal.
(b) She is not guilty of murder.
(c) He is rich.
(d) He will treat her well.
5. On the ship leaving Cadiz in Chapter 10, where are Candide and company headed?
(a) Buenos Aires.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Candide and Cacambo go after leaving the governor's place?
2. Why is the Biscayan arrested in Chapter 6?
3. To whom does the captain sell Cunégonde?
4. How does Cunegonde's brother say he escaped?
5. In Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff, who offers Candide food and drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event happens during Martin and Candide's discussion of the subject of moral and physical evil? How does Candide use this to his advantage?
2. On the ship to Buenos Aires, about what does Cunégonde complain and how does the old woman respond?
3. Describe the Jesuit government as explained by Cacambo.
4. How are Candide and Cacambo captured by the Oreillons and why are they freed?
5. When Martin and Candide land in Portsmouth, England, what do they witness? How does this affect Candide?
6. Describe Dr. Pangloss' philosophy.
7. What has Candide packed in his saddle-bag in chapter 16?
8. What does Cacambo think should be done with the Baron?
9. Why does Candide decide to go to Holland?
10. How does Friar Giroflee explain his life?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)