|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Cunégonde's brother's troops attack the village in which Cunégonde lives, what is his intention?
(a) To persuade Cunégonde to kill the governor.
(b) To capture Cunégonde.
(c) To kill Cunégonde.
(d) To rob Cunégonde.
2. What does Cunegonde talk about on the way to Buenos Aires?
(a) Her hardships.
(b) Her luck.
(c) Her fortune.
(d) The future.
3. Where does Cunégonde's brother reside in Chapter 15?
4. What happens to the Princess in Algiers?
(a) She gets married.
(b) She catches the plague.
(c) She becomes a nun.
(d) She gets arrested.
5. What are the people of Cadiz doing in Chapter 10?
(a) Having a religious service.
(b) Having a fiesta.
(c) Building new houses.
(d) Putting together an army.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Candide give the two coins someone gave him in Chapter 3?
2. Why are the two Portuguese arrested in Chapter 6?
3. Why is the Biscayan arrested in Chapter 6?
4. Where are Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman when the bodies of Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor are found?
5. To what lot was the old woman born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Candide come to the rescue of Cunegonde in Chapter 9?
2. What happens when the Bulgarians catch Candide going for a walk?
3. Why do the rulers of Paraguay prefer foreigners?
4. What happens when Candide and Martin are arrested in a scam perpetrated by a false abbe?
5. In Paris, how is Candide's innocence exploited?
6. What does Candide's new traveling companion, Martin, have to say about the condition of the world as he sees it?
7. Describe Candide's interaction with the old woman that comes and tells him to follow her after he is punished for spouting philosophy.
8. Explain why Candide is made a captain of the infantry in Cadiz.
9. What do Candide, the baron, Pangloss, Martin and Cacambo argue about on the ship?
10. After Candide is captured for "running away," what options is he given?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)