|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Candide's wounds to heal?
(a) Six months.
(b) A month.
(c) A year.
(d) 3 weeks.
2. Who heals the women after the Russians attack the Janissaries?
(a) The Janissaries.
(b) The French.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The Spaniards.
3. How much money does Jacques give Candide?
(a) 50 florins.
(b) Twenty florins.
(c) Two florins.
(d) 100 florins.
4. What does Pangloss call the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh?
(a) The castle of many mysteries.
(b) The richest castle in the world.
(c) The only castle in Bulgaria.
(d) The best of all possible castles.
5. As Captain, who is assigned to be Candide's assistant?
(b) T Bulgarian prisoner of war.
(c) A Moroccan pirate.
(d) Cunegonde's long lost brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is this Grand Inquisitor?
2. How does Cunegonde's brother say he escaped?
3. Where do Candide and Cacambo go after leaving the governor's place?
4. For what position does Jacques hire the beggar?
5. What weather condition happens during the Anabaptists, Candide, and Pangloss' travel in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the commandant look like?
2. Why does Candide decide to go to Holland?
3. Describe what happens to the men who were arrested for burning in Chapter 6.
4. Why do the learned men tell Pococurante you should always have Homer in your library?
5. What is Cacambo's master's story?
6. In Chapter 18, where do Candide and Cacambo go first to learn about Eldorado?
7. What event happens during Martin and Candide's discussion of the subject of moral and physical evil? How does Candide use this to his advantage?
8. Identify the family of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh.
9. How do Candide and Cacambo manage to avoid being eaten by the Oreillons in Chapter 16?
10. Describe Candide's reaction to reuniting with Cunégonde and their subsequent interaction in Chapter 7.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)