|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Cacambo once work as a servant?
(a) At the Baron's palace.
(b) At the Grand Inquisitor's palace.
(c) At the College of the Assumption.
(d) At the Vatican.
2. How do the survivors in Lisbon wet their bread?
(a) With their blood.
(b) With milk.
(c) With wine.
(d) With their tears.
3. What does Cunégonde say happened to her when the Bulgarians attacked?
(a) She says she was forced to watch her mother's rape.
(b) She says that mercifully nothing happened to her.
(c) She says she was raped and cut open.
(d) She says she was given food and shelter.
4. Where does Candide travel with Cunégonde, the old woman, and two servants?
(d) Buenos Aires.
5. What does Candide sell on the old woman's advice?
(c) A sword.
(d) A horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cunégonde decide to stay with the governor?
2. Where are Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman when the bodies of Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor are found?
3. Why does the old lady say she is being kind to Candide?
4. Why are Candide and Pangloss arrested in Chapter 6?
5. How many soldiers surround Cacambo and Candide at the border post?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the house that the old lady brings Candide to after she has cared for him over several days.
2. What makes it apparent that the Baron is not dead?
3. Why doesn't Pococurante like the paintings by Raphael?
4. Describe what happens after Candide meets the two men in Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff who offer him food and drink.
5. Describe Candide's reaction to reuniting with Cunégonde and their subsequent interaction in Chapter 7.
6. How does Cunegonde's brother explain his escape from death?
7. What philosophical background does Martin claim and how does he describe this perspective?
8. Describe what happened when the Janissaries were attacked.
9. How was Cunégonde's brother healed after Candide stabbed him and what events followed?
10. What complication arises when a Spanish ship arrives in Buenos Aires?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)