|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the old woman's mother killed?
(a) The captain of the ship disembowled her.
(b) Four men grabbed her mother's limbs and tore her to pieces.
(c) She was scalped and left to die.
(d) She was forced to walk the plank into shark infested waters.
2. To where do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman flee?
3. How much money does Candide give to the beggar?
(a) Fifty florins.
(b) Twenty florins.
(c) Five florins.
(d) Two florins.
4. While working for the Boyar in Russia, what job does the Princess do?
(a) She is the chambermaid.
(b) She is a musician.
(c) She is the cook.
(d) She is a gardener.
5. How many soldiers surround Cacambo and Candide at the border post?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jacques die?
2. In the old woman's story about her past, what did the soldiers of the Pope do when the ship was attacked?
3. Who heals the women after the Russians attack the Janissaries?
4. What did the Janizaries do to the old woman when she was young and had been captured by them?
5. Who does Cunégonde see Pangloss with in the bushes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cacambo think should be done with the Baron?
2. Why does Candide say he doesn't love the King and cannot drink to his health?
3. What is Martin's attitude toward France?
4. Describe Candide's reaction to reuniting with Cunégonde and their subsequent interaction in Chapter 7.
5. What is the Baron's son's explanation as to why he is a galley slave?
6. Describe what happens after the reunion of Candide and Cunegonde in Chapter 29.
7. How has Cunégonde's appearance changed when Candide finds her on the banks of Propontis? How do Candide's and Cunégonde's reactions to her change in appearance differ?
8. What does Martin say are the chief occupations of Parisians?
9. As Candide and Martin are walking to dinner one night, who accosts them and what does he say?
10. Why are Candide and Cunégonde not happy even after they marry?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)