|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose advice does Candide seek after killing Don Issachar?
(a) The Grand Inquisitor's.
(c) The old woman's.
(d) A beggar's.
2. Which of the following characters does not live with the Baron?
(a) His sister.
(d) His wife.
3. What do the Janissaries eat when they are under attack?
(a) Bread and cheese.
(b) Eggs and bacon.
(c) Two slaves.
(d) Two eunuchs and two buttocks.
4. In Chapter 8, what are Candide and Cunégonde doing when Mr. Issachar arrives?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Having coffee.
(d) Sitting on the couch.
5. Who does the old woman say her parents were?
(a) Archduke Ferdinand and his scullery maid.
(b) Pope Urban X and the Princess of Palestrina.
(c) Tsar Nicholas I and an English duchess.
(d) Baron Rothschild and the Princess of Monrovia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the old woman never marry her true love, the Prince of Massa-Carrara?
2. How many times does Candide make it through the gauntlet?
3. How is Candide punished as a prisoner in Lisbon?
4. How does the old woman describe the location where she was raised?
5. What did the young man from the old woman's recollection in Chapter 12 promise the captive princess?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Candide and Senator Pococurante's reactions differ to the women that serve the senator?
2. Who does Martin think was the most unfortunate of all the kings?
3. What happens when Mr. Issachar enters, finding Candide and Cunégonde on the couch?
4. How does Candide finally find Cacambo and get news of Cunegonde?
5. Who do Cunégonde, Candide, and the old woman visit when they arrive in Buenos Aires and how does he respond to them?
6. Why does Candide decide to go to Holland?
7. Describe what happened when the old woman and her mother were brought to Morocco?
8. What happens when the Bulgarians catch Candide going for a walk?
9. What was the cause of the constant fighting in Morocco?
10. What happens when Candide and Martin are arrested in a scam perpetrated by a false abbe?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)