|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the old woman never marry her true love, the Prince of Massa-Carrara?
(a) A former mistress of his poisoned him.
(b) He left her standing alone at the altar.
(c) Her father went to war with the prince's father.
(d) His father forbade the marriage.
2. How much of Lisbon is destroyed by the earthquake?
(a) All of it.
(b) Half of it.
(c) Three quarters of it.
(d) One quarter of it.
3. Why does Cunégonde's brother not approve of Candide's plan to marry his sister?
(a) He thinks Candide will try to kill Cunégonde.
(b) He does not think Candide has enough money or importance to marry her.
(c) He thinks that Cunégonde does not love Candide.
(d) He thinks Cunégonde is not worthy of Candide's attention.
4. Where has Cunégonde been stabbed?
(a) On her leg.
(b) On her arm.
(c) On her left side.
(d) In her back.
5. Which of the following characters does not live with the Baron?
(b) His wife.
(d) His sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Candide do after the Baron hits him with his sword?
2. What happens when Mr. Issachar attacks Candide?
3. How was the old woman's mother killed?
4. What is stolen from Cunégonde?
5. Which of the following does the old woman not provide to Candide while he is staying in her shack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the house that the old lady brings Candide to after she has cared for him over several days.
2. What is shocking about Candide's gift to King Theodore?
3. Describe the surprise Candide has when he gives his coins to a beggar.
4. In Bordeaux, who does Candide give his sheep to and why?
5. What are the crimes of the people sentenced to the auto-da-fé?
6. How do Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman get a head start against the soldiers who begin to look for them in Chapter 9?
7. On the ship to Buenos Aires, about what does Cunégonde complain and how does the old woman respond?
8. Explain why Candide shoots two monkeys.
9. Where do Candide and Cacambo see gold and jewels in the city in the mountains? How do they respond to this finding?
10. What do Candide, the baron, Pangloss, Martin and Cacambo argue about on the ship?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)