|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose health do the soldiers make Candide drink to?
(a) The King of the Avars.
(b) The Baron.
(c) The King of the Bulgars.
(d) The Pope.
2. Who does the old woman suspect is the thief?
(a) A soldier.
(c) The innkeeper.
(d) A Franciscan priest.
3. When the old woman and her mother had been on board a ship belonging to the Pope, what event occurred?
(a) the ship was attacked by a Moorish fleet.
(b) Pirates attacked them.
(c) The ship ran aground on a desert island.
(d) The ship sank in a storm.
4. Where is the fleet of ships that Candide, Cunégonde and the old woman join headed?
5. Who is the last person for whom the old woman worked?
(a) The Prince of Palestrina.
(b) A man in Moscow.
(c) Mr. Issachar.
(d) The Grand Inquisitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Lima, Peru?
2. Who is on the ship that has been spotted in the Buenos Aires harbor?
3. How many priests has Candide killed?
4. Who were the old woman's parents?
5. Where does the old woman suggest Candide and Cunegonde go in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the crime that the two Portuguese commit and the punishment that they receive.
2. What is Candide's condition when he reaches Holland, and who helps him?
3. What makes it apparent that the Baron is not dead?
4. Describe the surprise Candide has when he gives his coins to a beggar.
5. Compare the burials of Don Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor.
6. What are Cunégonde's misfortunes?
7. Identify the family of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh.
8. Describe Candide's reunion with Pangloss.
9. Why is the fleet preparing to go to the New World?
10. In Paris, how is Candide's innocence exploited?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)