|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Don Fernando d'Ibaraa y Figueora y Mascarenes y Lampourdos y Souza?
(a) The governor of Buenos Aires.
(b) The captain of a Spanish ship.
(c) the old woman's brother.
(d) The monk who stole Cunegonde's diamonds.
2. How does Candide escape?
(a) On a boat.
(b) Hidden in a horse-drawn cart.
(c) On an Andalusian horse.
(d) Dressed as a chambermaid.
3. Why does the captain kill the Bulgarian who is attacking Cunégonde?
(a) The captain is angry that the rapist did not stop to show respect for the captain.
(b) The captain is angry that the rapist did not kill Cunégonde.
(c) The captain is angry that he didn't get Cunégonde first.
(d) The captain does not kill the Bulgarian.
4. Where does Candide go, leaving Cunegonde with the governor of Buenos Aires?
(a) to inspect his infantry.
(b) To shop for new clothes.
(c) To call on the police.
(d) To buy a house.
5. When the old woman and her mother had been on board a ship belonging to the Pope, what event occurred?
(a) The ship sank in a storm.
(b) The ship ran aground on a desert island.
(c) the ship was attacked by a Moorish fleet.
(d) Pirates attacked them.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the captain sell Cunégonde?
2. What choice is Candide given for his punishment by the Bulgarians?
3. Where is the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh located?
4. How does Candide get in trouble with the Bulgarians?
5. When Cunegonde was taken prisoner by the captain, what did she become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cacambo think should be done with the Baron?
2. What is the setting in the first chapter and what characters are introduced?
3. Who does Martin think was the most unfortunate of all the kings?
4. What is the story of the death of James, the Anabaptist?
5. Describe the meeting of Candide with Cunegonde in Chapter 29.
6. Who is the Commandant and what news does Candide bring him?
7. Describe the disease with which Pangloss is afflicted and how it has affected him.
8. Describe the Jesuit government as explained by Cacambo.
9. Why does Candide have no interest in seeing France despite never having been there before?
10. What is Cacambo's master's story?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)