|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does the Baroness weigh?
(a) 150 pounds.
(b) 350 pounds.
(c) 90 pounds.
(d) 100 pounds.
2. What choice is Candide given for his punishment by the Bulgarians?
(a) Ten bullets or hanging.
(b) Twelve bullets or thirty-six lashes.
(c) Thirty-six bullets or twelve lashes.
(d) Thirty-six lashes or hanging.
3. Who does the beggar tell Candide he is?
(a) The Baron.
(b) A Bulgarian.
(d) A prince.
4. How many sons does the Emperor Muley Ismael have?
5. Why does Candide ask to be shot in the head?
(a) He saw someone hanged and does not want that.
(b) There is no hope for him to escape the army.
(c) There are 2,000 men in the regiment to give 36 lashes each.
(d) He says it as a joke not believing they will do it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Candide and Cunegonde's brother do for a long time in Chapter 14?
2. What does Candide tell the Commandant?
3. Why is the man who discovers the Princess upset?
4. What does Candide say about Cunégonde's scar?
5. What is the setting of the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Commandant and what news does Candide bring him?
2. What is the custom in Eldorado when brought to see the King?
3. Explain why Candide shoots two monkeys.
4. Why does Candide decide to go to Holland?
5. Why does the Bulgar captain sell Cunégonde to Don Issachar?
6. When Candide and Cacambo are having a meal in the field after Candide murders Cunégonde's brother, what do they witness and how does Candide respond?
7. Who does Martin think was the most unfortunate of all the kings?
8. What do Candide and Pangloss experience when they get to Lisbon, and how do they respond?
9. How did Cunegonde fall into the clutches of a Jew and the Grand Inquisitor?
10. In Chapter 8, what does Cunegonde tell about her experience back in the castle?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)