|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacques say mankind has become like?
2. What is the name of Candide's tutor?
3. What is Candide given after his rescue in Chapter 7?
(a) A job as a dishwasher at an inn.
(b) A serious lecture about false teaching.
(c) Ointment, food and drink, clothes, and a bed.
(d) Another flogging.
4. Where does Cunégonde see Candide before being reunited with him by the old woman?
(a) At the auto-da-fé.
(b) At the plaza real.
(c) At the mercado.
(d) At the gardens.
5. What does Candide tell Don Fernando about Cunegonde?
(a) thet she is married to him.
(b) That she is a carrier of the plague.
(c) That she is a nun.
(d) That she is about to be his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the beggar say is the reason for his affliction?
2. What is the first village to which Candide goes immediately after he escapes from the Bulgarians?
3. Who is rumored to be the son of the Baron's sister and a gentleman from the village?
4. Over what does Cunégonde shed tears?
5. Where does Candide walk the street and ask for charity after visiting the villages that have been pummeled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Candide realizes that he won't see Cunégonde again?
2. Describe what happened when the Janissaries were attacked.
3. What is the setting in the first chapter and what characters are introduced?
4. What is the explanation for Candide's disinterest in seeing Paris?
5. When Candide and Cacambo are having a meal in the field after Candide murders Cunégonde's brother, what do they witness and how does Candide respond?
6. What are the fates available to the castrati?
7. On the ship to Buenos Aires, about what does Cunégonde complain and how does the old woman respond?
8. Describe Candide's and Martin's dinner companions after seeing Cacambo in Chapter 26.
9. Why does the Levantine captain ask such a high ransom for Pangloss and the Baron?
10. What is ironic about Jacques' death?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)