|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Janizaries do to the old woman when she was young and had been captured by them?
(a) They cut off and ate one of her buttocks.
(b) They made her eat pig food.
(c) They made her the camp prostitute.
(d) They beat her every day and made her carry water.
2. What does everyone who meets the Governor of Buenos Aires for the first time want to do to him?
(a) Give him money.
(b) Kiss him.
(c) Hit him.
(d) Pray for him.
3. What does the old woman reveal about her past in Chapter 10?
(a) She was once a Russian Tsarina.
(b) She was once the mistress of the Grand Inquisitor.
(c) She was once married to the King of Spain.
(d) She was born a princess but now has to work as a maid.
4. Why are Candide and Pangloss arrested in Chapter 6?
(a) For refusing to work.
(b) For teaching Pangloss' philosophy.
(c) For bathing in a fountain.
(d) For stealing bread.
5. When the old woman and her mother were in route to Gaeta, what did the soldiers aboard the ship do when they were attacked by pirates?
(b) Killed the pirates.
(c) Hid behind the women.
(d) Jumped to their deaths.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are being punished in the auto-da-fé?
2. Where is the man who finds the Princess born?
3. What does Cunégonde say happened to her when the Bulgarians attacked?
4. Fleeing the Spanish who are looking for the murderer of the Grand Inquisitor, where do Candide and Cacambo head in Chapter 14?
5. What is stolen from Cunégonde?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cunegonde's brother explain his escape from death?
2. How do Candide, Martin, and Pangloss learn about true happiness?
3. How does Candide come to the rescue of Cunegonde in Chapter 9?
4. Who does Martin think was the most unfortunate of all the kings?
5. Describe what happens after the reunion of Candide and Cunegonde in Chapter 29.
6. What are Cunégonde's misfortunes?
7. Explain how Candide and Cacambo lose much of the wealth they got in Eldorado.
8. Describe the background of the old woman whom Candide and Cunegonde discover was born a princess.
9. Compare the burials of Don Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor.
10. Describe the solution that is developed to prevent future earthquakes and indicate who creates this solution.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)