|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Commandant?
(a) Cunégonde's brother.
(b) Cacambo's uncle.
(c) The old woman's son.
(d) Candide's father.
2. What does Candide tell Don Fernando about Cunegonde?
(a) That she is about to be his wife.
(b) thet she is married to him.
(c) That she is a nun.
(d) That she is a carrier of the plague.
3. Whose health do the soldiers make Candide drink to?
(a) The Baron.
(b) The King of the Bulgars.
(c) The King of the Avars.
(d) The Pope.
4. Why does Candide kill the Grand Inquisitor?
(a) He believes the Grand Inquisitor will have him burned.
(b) He wants to have Cunégonde for his own slave.
(c) He wants to impress Cunégonde with his power.
(d) He thinks the Grand Inquisitor has raped Cunégonde.
5. What is the country to which Candide walks after leaving Bulgaria?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not part of the name of the governor who becomes infatuated with Cunégonde?
2. In Holland, who is Candide happy to meet up with again?
3. Who returns to the house to find Mr. Issachar dead?
4. Who does the old woman say her parents were?
5. What happens to the Bicayan and the two Portuguese in the auto-da-fe that follows in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Candide respond when Cunegonde reminds him of his promise to marry her? Why?
2. Explain what happens when Candide discovers who the old woman in Chapter 7 works for.
3. Describe the send off Candide and Cacambo get as they prepare to leave Eldorado.
4. Describe the attack of the Bulgarians on the castle according to Cunégonde.
5. What is the Baron's son's explanation as to why he is a galley slave?
6. Explain how Candide becomes a member of the Bulgarian army.
7. Describe the surprise Candide has when he gives his coins to a beggar.
8. What event results in the reunion of Candide and Cunégonde and how?
9. What effect does the English admiral's execution have on Candide?
10. Why does the Bulgar captain sell Cunégonde to Don Issachar?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)