|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Candide travel with Cunégonde, the old woman, and two servants?
(c) Buenos Aires.
2. Who do Candide and Cacambo plan to join?
(a) The Moors.
(b) The Jesuits.
(c) A local group of pirates.
(d) A native tribe.
3. Why is Candide kicked out of the castle?
(a) His mother has arrived and is unwelcome.
(b) He is making advances on the maid.
(c) He is not succeeding at his studies.
(d) He is caught kissing Cunégonde..
4. What is Candide given after his rescue in Chapter 7?
(a) A serious lecture about false teaching.
(b) Ointment, food and drink, clothes, and a bed.
(c) A job as a dishwasher at an inn.
(d) Another flogging.
5. Which of the following characters does not live with the Baron?
(a) His wife.
(b) His sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Candide get in trouble with the Bulgarians?
2. Who arrives on the ship that pulls into the harbor while Cunégonde and the governor are speaking?
3. On the ship leaving Cadiz in Chapter 10, where are Candide and company headed?
4. Who does the old woman suspect is the thief?
5. What country does Candide go to after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Martin's feelings about France in general and of Paris specifically.
2. What makes it apparent that the Baron is not dead?
3. What is shocking about Candide's gift to King Theodore?
4. Describe Jacques' reaction to Candide and give a plausible reason for his actions.
5. Describe Candide's reaction to reuniting with Cunégonde and their subsequent interaction in Chapter 7.
6. Compare the burials of Don Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor.
7. What is the Baron's son's explanation as to why he is a galley slave?
8. What happens when Candide and Cacambo try to pay for their meal at the inn?
9. Describe the conversation that Martin and Candide have after leaving Senator Pococurante's palace.
10. With whom do Candide and Martin find themselves dining in Chapter 26? What stories do these people tell?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)