|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what are Candide and Cunégonde doing when Mr. Issachar arrives?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Having coffee.
(c) Sitting on the couch.
2. Where do Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman land in Chapter 13?
(d) Buenos Aires.
3. What reaction do Candide and Cunégonde have when they reunite?
(a) They both faint.
(b) They run away from each other.
(c) They embrace and kiss.
(d) Cunégonde faints and Candide catches her.
4. What happened the man who found the old woman and spoke her language when he was a child?
(a) He was beaten.
(b) He was castrated.
(c) He was taught to fight.
(d) He was taught English.
5. Whose murder did Cunégonde's brother witness?
(a) His uncle's.
(b) His parents'.
(c) His brother's.
(d) His sister's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Candide not know anything about his protector in Chapter 7?
2. What is Candide forced to do after the murder of Issachar is discovered?
3. What does the old woman advise Candide to do at the governor's place?
4. Which of the following is something Candide does not experience in Chapter 5?
5. To where do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman flee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the king's response when Candide indicates he wants to leave Eldorado and explain the lengths that the king goes to help Candide with his plan.
2. Explain how Candide becomes a member of the Bulgarian army.
3. In Buenos Aires, describe the problem that arises from Candide's honesty.
4. How does the abbé trick Candide into giving him his money?
5. What does Cacambo think should be done with the Baron?
6. What is the nature of the crime that the Baron commited?
7. What do Candide and Pangloss experience when they get to Lisbon, and how do they respond?
8. What makes it apparent that the Baron is not dead?
9. The old woman's story, what happened to the princess at the hands of the Janizaries?
10. When Candide and Cacambo are having a meal in the field after Candide murders Cunégonde's brother, what do they witness and how does Candide respond?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)