|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The old woman says she once resembled who?
(c) The Venus de Medici.
2. What is stolen from Cunégonde?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) Her money and diamonds.
(c) Her shoes.
(d) Her Bible.
3. Who heals the women after the Russians attack the Janissaries?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The French.
(c) The Spaniards.
(d) The Janissaries.
4. Why does the old lady say she is being kind to Candide?
(a) She is Paquette.
(b) She doesn't tell him.
(c) She is his aunt.
(d) She is his mother.
5. Where do Candide and Cacambo go after leaving the governor's place?
(d) Buenos Aires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Baroness do to Cunégonde after Candide is expelled from the castle?
2. Which of the following is not a reason the old woman tells Cunégonde she should stay with the governor?
3. When Cunegonde was taken prisoner by the captain, what did she become?
4. While working for the Boyar in Russia, what job does the Princess do?
5. Where is the inn where Candide stops located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the admiral killed?
2. Describe the misfortune that befalls the runaway Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman on the way to Cadiz.
3. With whom do Candide and Martin find themselves dining in Chapter 26? What stories do these people tell?
4. What is the Baron's son's explanation as to why he is a galley slave?
5. How do Candide and Cacambo manage to avoid being eaten by the Oreillons in Chapter 16?
6. Getting away from France, Candide and Martin land in Portsmouth, England, where they witness an execution. Describe Candide's curiosity.
7. Who arrives on the ship that comes into the harbor while Cunégonde and the governor are talking and what effect does his arrival have?
8. Still looking for a happy man, where do Candide and Martin go?
9. When Candide reunites with Paquette, the maid from Westphalia, how does she describe her life since they last were together and what details does she provide?
10. Who comes to "help" Candide recover from his illness?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)