|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pangloss say his disease is making the most "progress"?
(a) Among the French.
(b) Among the Dutch.
(c) Among the clergy.
(d) In the armies.
2. To whom does the captain sell Cunégonde?
(a) Mr. Cadiz.
(b) Mr. Issachar.
(d) The Grand Inquisitor.
3. How much of Lisbon is destroyed by the earthquake?
(a) All of it.
(b) Half of it.
(c) One quarter of it.
(d) Three quarters of it.
4. How do the Janizaries try to stave off their hunger?
(a) By stealing food.
(b) By killing squirrels.
(c) By eating the eunuchs.
(d) By eating sticks.
5. In Chapter 2, after running away, Candide is caught and given what choice?
(a) Carrying baggage for the regiment or wearing a dress.
(b) Death by hanging or 10 lashes every day for a year.
(c) Twelve bullets to the brain or 36 lashes by the regiment.
(d) Returning to the army or being torn apart by a bear.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the old woman's story about her past, what did the soldiers of the Pope do when the ship was attacked?
2. What is stolen from Cunégonde?
3. How long does it take Candide's wounds to heal?
4. Why does Cunégonde's brother not approve of Candide's plan to marry his sister?
5. How does Jacques act on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Candide sees when he walks through a village raided by the Bulgarians.
2. What happens when the Bulgarians catch Candide going for a walk?
3. Explain what happens when Candide discovers who the old woman in Chapter 7 works for.
4. Describe what happens on Candide and Cacambo's trip to Cayenne and how they end up in Eldorado.
5. Describe the misfortune that befalls the runaway Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman on the way to Cadiz.
6. On the ship to Buenos Aires, about what does Cunégonde complain and how does the old woman respond?
7. Describe the argument that Candide and Cunégonde's brother have regarding Candide's intentions for Cunégonde, and explain what happens as a result.
8. What happens when Candide and Cacambo try to pay for their meal at the inn?
9. What are the circumstances that cause Candide to kill Cunegonde's brother?
10. Who is the man who finds the woman under the orange tree and what does he do with her?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)