|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers Candide food, two coins, a place to stay, and a job in Chapter 3?
(a) A Lutheran named Martin.
(b) A priest named Ignatius.
(c) A Rabbi named Isaac.
(d) An Anabaptist, named James.
2. How much does the Baroness weigh?
(a) 350 pounds.
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 90 pounds.
(d) 150 pounds.
3. What country does Candide go to after the war?
4. What is the topic of the sermon that Candide hears the man give?
5. In the war when thousands of men are killed, what does it cause Candide to do?
(a) Switch sides.
(c) Become brave.
(d) Learn to fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Governor have a "furious lust" for?
2. Where is the man who finds the Princess born?
3. When the old woman and her mother were in route to Gaeta, what did the soldiers aboard the ship do when they were attacked by pirates?
4. Who returns to the house to find Mr. Issachar dead?
5. Who pays for Pangloss' cure?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Candide and Senator Pococurante's reactions differ to the women that serve the senator?
2. What has Candide packed in his saddle-bag in chapter 16?
3. What philosophical background does Martin claim and how does he describe this perspective?
4. Why is it apparent that the Baron is one of the most powerful lords in the area?
5. What is the comparison that Martin makes between man and hawks?
6. What do Candide, the baron, Pangloss, Martin and Cacambo argue about on the ship?
7. What makes it easy for Candide and Cacambo to learn all they want to know about Eldorado?
8. Who does Martin think was the most unfortunate of all the kings?
9. What happens when Candide and Cacambo try to pay for their meal at the inn?
10. In Chapter 27, which two characters does Candide rescue by paying for their freedom and when does he recognize them?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)