|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the old woman's recollection in Chapter 12, what did the young man do the next day (after making a promise to the captive princess)?
(a) He left with the girl but was captured.
(b) He was arrested and sent to prison.
(c) He sold the girl as a slave.
(d) He caught the plague and died.
2. Who is the last person for whom the old woman worked?
(a) The Prince of Palestrina.
(b) The Grand Inquisitor.
(c) Mr. Issachar.
(d) A man in Moscow.
3. Until what age does the Princess of Palestrina live in her castle?
4. Why does Candide kill the Grand Inquisitor?
(a) He wants to have Cunégonde for his own slave.
(b) He thinks the Grand Inquisitor has raped Cunégonde.
(c) He believes the Grand Inquisitor will have him burned.
(d) He wants to impress Cunégonde with his power.
5. How tall is Candide?
(a) Six feet tall.
(d) Five feet tall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the castle where Candide is raised?
2. Whose advice does Candide seek after killing Don Issachar?
3. When the old woman and her mother were in route to Gaeta, what did the soldiers aboard the ship do when they were attacked by pirates?
4. What happened to Cunegonde after she was taken prisoner by the captain?
5. Candide meets two men in the town of Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff. To whom do they drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. Identify the family of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh.
2. What is ironic about Jacques' death?
3. Describe what happens after the reunion of Candide and Cunegonde in Chapter 29.
4. How does Cunegonde's brother explain his escape from death?
5. How do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman flee in chapter 9, and where do they go?
6. What does the commandant look like?
7. How did the young princess in the old woman's story end up in Morocco?
8. What happens when Candide and Cacambo try to pay for their meal at the inn?
9. Where do Candide and Cacambo see gold and jewels in the city in the mountains? How do they respond to this finding?
10. What are the fates available to the castrati?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)