|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men help train Candide to be a stronger soldier?
(a) They make him do push ups.
(b) They give him special weapons training.
(c) They beat him with a stick.
(d) They have him run long distances.
2. Where is the Baron taken to be buried with his parents?
(a) To the garbage dump.
(b) A Jesuit chapel.
(c) In the castle.
(d) At the nearest cathedral.
3. How many people die in the war between the Bulgars and the Avars?
(c) One million.
(d) One hundred.
4. Who does the old woman suspect is the thief?
(a) The innkeeper.
(b) A Franciscan priest.
(d) A soldier.
5. What characteristic do Jacques and Candide share?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a reason the old woman tells Cunégonde she should stay with the governor?
2. Who is the last person for whom the old woman worked?
3. How much money does Candide give to the beggar?
4. Why does Candide not act on his crush on Cunégonde?
5. What happens to the main who arrives on the ship that pulls into the harbor while Cunégonde and the governor are speaking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the crimes of the people sentenced to the auto-da-fé?
2. At the end of the book, why is Candide not happy and no longer believes he is living in the best of all possible worlds?
3. Describe what happens to the men who were arrested for burning in Chapter 6.
4. Where do Candide and Cacambo see gold and jewels in the city in the mountains? How do they respond to this finding?
5. How do Candide and Senator Pococurante's reactions differ to the women that serve the senator?
6. What is Cacambo's master's story?
7. Explain the objection Lisbon residents have to Dr. Pangloss after the earthquake.
8. Describe the disease with which Pangloss is afflicted and how it has affected him.
9. Describe what happened when the old woman and her mother were brought to Morocco?
10. What is the ritual when one meets the king in Eldorado? What does Candide expect the ritual to be before he is told?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)