|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Candide travel with Cunégonde, the old woman, and two servants?
(d) Buenos Aires.
2. What position does the Baron attain in the Jesuit military?
3. What does Cunégonde say happened to her when the Bulgarians attacked?
(a) She says that mercifully nothing happened to her.
(b) She says she was raped and cut open.
(c) She says she was forced to watch her mother's rape.
(d) She says she was given food and shelter.
4. What gives Candide a chance to escape the Bulgarians?
(a) A very dark night.
(b) A snow storm.
(c) A monk's habit he finds.
(d) The chaos of war.
5. What does the beggar say is the reason for his affliction?
(a) A disease brought by the Bulgarians.
(b) Intimate relations with the maid.
(c) Intimate relations with Cunégonde.
(d) Something that he ate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cunégonde's brother not approve of Candide's plan to marry his sister?
2. Who is on the ship that has been spotted in the Buenos Aires harbor?
3. Where does Cunegonde's brother learn Cunegonde is in Chapter 15?
4. After leaving the castle, where does Candide fall asleep?
5. Whose health do the soldiers make Candide drink to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jacques' reaction to Candide and give a plausible reason for his actions.
2. What is the setting in the first chapter and what characters are introduced?
3. How did Pangloss manage to survive the auto-da-fé?
4. With how many sheep do Candide and Cacambo arrive in Cayenne? What happens to the other sheep and how does Candide respond to the loss?
5. In Chapter 8, what does Cunegonde tell about her experience back in the castle?
6. Why does Candide say he doesn't love the King and cannot drink to his health?
7. What do Candide and Pangloss experience when they get to Lisbon, and how do they respond?
8. Who found the exhausted princess from the old woman's story and offered to help her escape to Spain?
9. How does Candide finally find Cacambo and get news of Cunegonde?
10. How do Candide and Cacambo end up on roads that are paved with gold?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)