|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Princess in Algiers?
(a) She gets arrested.
(b) She gets married.
(c) She catches the plague.
(d) She becomes a nun.
2. What color are the soldiers that Candide meets wearing?
3. Where is the inn where Candide stops located?
4. Where does the Princess of Palestrina collapse after she escapes from the Moors?
(a) Under an orange tree.
(b) In a river.
(c) On the Emperor's bed.
(d) In a barn.
5. Who is the Commandant?
(a) Cunégonde's brother.
(b) Candide's father.
(c) Cacambo's uncle.
(d) The old woman's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pangloss call the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh?
2. What does the Baroness do to Cunégonde after Candide is expelled from the castle?
3. What happens to the Bicayan and the two Portuguese in the auto-da-fe that follows in Chapter 6?
4. What is Candide forced to do after the murder of Issachar is discovered?
5. What is the country to which Candide walks after leaving Bulgaria?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Candide respond when Cunegonde reminds him of his promise to marry her? Why?
2. How does Candide answer when asked if Cunégonde is his wife?
3. How does Candide select a new traveling companion for his trip to Bordeaux?
4. Who is given to Candide when he is made captain, to act as an assistant, and what advice does he have for Candide?
5. How are Candide and Cacambo captured by the Oreillons and why are they freed?
6. What makes it easy for Candide and Cacambo to learn all they want to know about Eldorado?
7. How does Candide finally find Cacambo and get news of Cunegonde?
8. Why was the castrated man sent to the King of Morocco?
9. Describe the send off Candide and Cacambo get as they prepare to leave Eldorado.
10. Why is Candide given his name?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)