|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the horror Cunegonde's brother relates to Candide in Chapter 15?
(a) He was enslaved for many years.
(b) He witnessed his sister's rape and the murder of his parents.
(c) He was forced to kill his mother.
(d) He was raped by the Bulgarian regiment.
2. What offer does Don Fernando make to Cunegonde?
(a) to have him eliminate Candide.
(b) To move into his palace.
(c) To marry him if she so desires.
(d) To become his mistress.
3. Why did the old woman never marry her true love, the Prince of Massa-Carrara?
(a) His father forbade the marriage.
(b) He left her standing alone at the altar.
(c) A former mistress of his poisoned him.
(d) Her father went to war with the prince's father.
4. Until what age does the Princess of Palestrina live in her castle?
5. Why is Candide put in charge of the Cadiz soldiers?
(a) Because the leader always gets killed.
(b) Because he is taller than the soldiers.
(c) Because of his Bulgarian military training.
(d) Because they are holding Cunegonde hostage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose advice does Candide seek after killing Don Issachar?
2. What weather condition happens during the Anabaptists, Candide, and Pangloss' travel in Chapter 5?
3. What happens at the inn where Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman are staying in Chapter 10?
4. Who is this Grand Inquisitor?
5. Which of the following weapons is not used by the Bulgarians during their battles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Candide rescued after his flogging?
2. What is shocking about Candide's gift to King Theodore?
3. Describe what happened when the Janissaries were attacked.
4. Describe the house that the old lady brings Candide to after she has cared for him over several days.
5. How does Candide select a new traveling companion for his trip to Bordeaux?
6. Explain how Candide responds to the news from Westphalia in Chapter 4.
7. What do Candide, the baron, Pangloss, Martin and Cacambo argue about on the ship?
8. How was Cunégonde's brother healed after Candide stabbed him and what events followed?
9. How do Candide and Cacambo end up on roads that are paved with gold?
10. What do Candide and Pangloss experience when they get to Lisbon, and how do they respond?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)