|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has the sailor been four times?
2. How much money does Jacques give Candide?
(a) 50 florins.
(b) Twenty florins.
(c) Two florins.
(d) 100 florins.
3. What happens to the Princess in Algiers?
(a) She catches the plague.
(b) She gets married.
(c) She becomes a nun.
(d) She gets arrested.
4. Who does Pangloss ultimately blame for his current condition?
(b) The Baron.
(c) Christopher Columbus.
5. What weather condition happens during the Anabaptists, Candide, and Pangloss' travel in Chapter 5?
(a) A snowfall.
(b) A tornado.
(c) A storm.
(d) A heat wave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the old woman's parents?
2. What are the people of Cadiz doing in Chapter 10?
3. Who is the second person Candide kills?
4. What natural event destroys the city of Lisbon?
5. Who arrives on the ship that pulls into the harbor while Cunégonde and the governor are speaking?
Short Essay Questions
1. With how many sheep do Candide and Cacambo arrive in Cayenne? What happens to the other sheep and how does Candide respond to the loss?
2. What are Cunégonde's misfortunes?
3. Explain the way the University of Coimbre decides to prevent future earthquakes.
4. What happens when Candide and Martin are arrested in a scam perpetrated by a false abbe?
5. Describe what Candide sees when he walks through a village raided by the Bulgarians.
6. In Chapter 27, which two characters does Candide rescue by paying for their freedom and when does he recognize them?
7. How does the abbé trick Candide into giving him his money?
8. Describe the conversation that Martin and Candide have after leaving Senator Pococurante's palace.
9. How did Cunegonde fall into the clutches of a Jew and the Grand Inquisitor?
10. What is Pangloss's occupation and what message does he convey?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)