|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Pococurante?
(b) In his early 60s.
2. What is Candide's reaction to the execution he sees in England?
(a) He is horrified.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is relieved.
3. What is the old man's door made of?
4. What is still going on in Germany in Chapter 17?
(a) The search for Candide and Pangloss.
(b) The hangings and floggings of Westphalians.
(c) The Bulgarian reign of terror.
(d) The war between the Bulgarians and the Avares.
5. What is the response to Candide's question about religion in the country with gold streets?
(a) The old man says they worship a golden calf.
(b) The old man says their religion is animism.
(c) The old man answers there are no religions in his country.
(d) The old man says each person has his own rleigion.
6. What do Candide and his new traveling partner to Bordeaux rescue from the ocean in Chapter 20?
(a) The crew of the evil captain's ship.
(b) One of his red sheep.
(c) A porpose caught in a net.
(d) His last two sheep.
7. What happened to Pangloss' and the Baron's feet?
(a) They were dyed black.
(b) They were burned.
(c) They were slashed.
(d) They were tattooed.
8. How many times is the Baron beaten on the soles of his feet for his crime?
(a) 1,000 times.
(b) 50 times.
(c) 16 times.
(d) 100 times.
9. According to the abbé, how many good plays have been written in France?
(a) Fifteen or sixteen.
(b) A hundred.
10. Why do the foreigners at the inn come to Venice?
(a) For Carnival.
(b) To make their fortune.
(c) To trade at the market.
(d) To ask forgiveness of the King.
11. Why does Martin agree to continue on with Candide to Venice?
(a) He has heard good things about Venice.
(b) he wants to go on to Rome after he gets to Venice.
(c) He has a brother living there.
(d) He plans to rob Candide.
12. What does Candide bring with him when he goes to see Cunégonde in the hotel after receiving a letter signed by her?
(a) Medicine and gold.
(b) Martin and all of his gold and diamonds.
(c) Martin and Medicine.
(d) All of his diamonds and Cacambo.
13. What bizarre action follows Candide's response to what he saw running across a field in Chapter 16?
(a) The girls run and fall down at Candide's feet.
(b) The girls throw stones at the monkey's bodies.
(c) Local villagers run at Candide and Cacambo with sticks and pitchforks.
(d) The girls are cradling the dead monkeys and crying.
14. What is the philosophy that Martin claims to follow?
15. Which character believes "God has forsaken Earth and it is instead controlled by something more evil"?
(a) The pirates.
(c) The captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Candide and Martin end up after Paris?
2. Who does Brother Giroflée wish was at the bottom of the sea?
3. What is it that Martin does not have in Chapter 21?
4. How does Martin further Candide's depression after they land in Venice?
5. Who are the paintings by that Candide admires?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)