|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did Cacambo give to the Governor of Buenos Aires to buy Cunégonde?
(a) Two million worth of diamonds.
(b) Five francs.
(c) Three diamonds.
(d) One thousand worth of diamonds.
2. What is Martin's opinion of the people who inhabit France?
(a) He has a low opinion of them.
(b) He likes their food but not the people.
(c) He loves French people.
(d) He prefers Parisians to other French people.
3. What does the man of the couple in Chapter 24, Friar Giroflee, say about his happiness?
(a) He loves a married woman.
(b) Paquette gave him a venereal disease.
(c) He does not want to be in the monastery.
(d) He was abandoned by his family.
4. What does the local tribe want to do with Candide and Cacambo?
(a) They want to eat them.
(b) They want to burn them.
(c) They want to make them kings.
(d) They want to imprison them.
5. Why do Candide and Cacambo decide not to stay in that area where they narrowly escaped being cooked and eaten?
(a) Cunegonde might come there and fall in love with a monkey.
(b) Another group of Oreillons could choose to cook and eat them.
(c) There are no inns for them to stay in.
(d) The Jesuits are on their way there looking for them.
6. With what are the children playing in the schoolyard of the village in the mountains?
7. Where does the scene in the play Candide attends take place?
8. After Candide buys back Cunegonde and the old woman, where do they all go to live?
(a) The castle in Westphalia.
(b) On a farm Candide buys.
(c) In a villa on the South of France.
(d) In Paris.
9. What is the sole survivor of the sunken ship?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A treasure chest.
(c) The captain.
(d) One of Candide's red sheep.
10. What is the response to Candide's question about religion in the country with gold streets?
(a) The old man answers there are no religions in his country.
(b) The old man says their religion is animism.
(c) The old man says they worship a golden calf.
(d) The old man says each person has his own rleigion.
11. Who originally seduces Paquette?
(a) A Franciscan friar.
(b) Brother Giroflée.
(d) The Baron.
12. Why does Candide not want to tour France?
(a) Because he has heard Frenchmen are snobs.
(b) Because the French are allies of Bulgaria.
(c) Because nothing could be better than Eldorado.
(d) Because he prefers to go to Westphalia.
13. When are foreigners given a good reception in Venice, according to Martin?
(a) When they are pious.
(b) When they are rich.
(c) When they are virtuous.
(d) When they are handsome.
14. What are following the two girls running through the meadow?
15. What do all the characters at the farm end up deciding to do at the end of the book?
(a) Celebrate Cunégonde's baby.
(b) Go their separate ways.
(c) Work the farm.
(d) Kill Candide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back from the party at the French lady's house, why does Candide feel guilty?
2. What is Cunegonde unaware of, regarding Cunegonde in Chapter 29?
3. How does Candide react when Cunégonde reminds him of his promise to marry her?
4. How many scientists work on the machine built to carry Candide and Cacambo out of Eldorado?
5. What happens when Candide first arrives in Paris?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)