|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose execution do Candide and Martin witness in England?
(a) A governor.
(b) A prisoner.
(c) An admiral.
(d) A shopkeeper.
2. How many times is the Baron beaten on the soles of his feet for his crime?
(a) 100 times.
(b) 16 times.
(c) 1,000 times.
(d) 50 times.
3. What job does Martin get in Paris?
4. Why does Candide not want to tour France?
(a) Because he has heard Frenchmen are snobs.
(b) Because nothing could be better than Eldorado.
(c) Because he prefers to go to Westphalia.
(d) Because the French are allies of Bulgaria.
5. How could the apartment of the old man in Chapter 18 be described?
(a) Gilded and encrusted in rubies.
(b) too large for only one old man.
(c) plain white granite walls and floors.
(d) A cave in a diamond mine.
6. How had Pangloss survived the hanging?
(a) a surgeon discovered he was not dead and nursed him.
(b) They hanged someone else by mistake.
(c) A storm came up and revived Pangloss.
(d) The noose had broken, and Pangloss pretended to be dead.
7. What problem arises between Candide and the Baron in Chapter 30?
(a) The Baron is still opposed to Candide marrying his sister.
(b) The Baron wants Cunegonde's dowery.
(c) The Baron demands to marry before his sister does.
(d) The Baron demands a large allowence.
8. How do Candide and Martin find Senator Pococurante's character?
(a) Overbearing and anxious.
(b) Very kind and generous.
(c) Very fat and ill.
(d) Neither kind nor cruel.
9. What happens to the man on the deck of the naval vessel?
(a) He is hanged.
(b) He is given a commendation.
(c) He is given money.
(d) He is shot in the head.
10. According to the abbé, how many good plays have been written in France?
(a) Fifteen or sixteen.
(c) A hundred.
11. How much did Cacambo give to the Governor of Buenos Aires to buy Cunégonde?
(a) One thousand worth of diamonds.
(b) Two million worth of diamonds.
(c) Three diamonds.
(d) Five francs.
12. What happens to Paquette after Candide leaves Westphalia?
(a) She is raped by the Bulgarians.
(b) She is initiated into a cannabilistic tribe.
(c) She also gets kicked out of Westphalia.
(d) She marries Pangloss.
13. How does Pangloss wake up after being hanged?
(a) When a surgeon dissecting him begins to cut.
(b) When he is being buried.
(c) When holy water is sprinkled on him.
(d) He never wakes up after being hanged.
14. How much does Candide pay the Dutch captain?
(a) 2 piasters.
(b) 30,000 piasters.
(c) 100,000 piasters.
(d) He gives him nothing.
15. How many scientists work on the machine built to carry Candide and Cacambo out of Eldorado?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to two slaves on the ship going to Constantinople?
2. Why is Candide still optimistic after meeting Senator Pococurante?
3. What has Cacambo become while he was away?
4. As he is coming back from a party, what does Candide tell the abbé?
5. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)