|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
(a) One year.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) Six weeks.
2. What does Candide have that makes him still a rich man in Chapter 20?
(a) A diamond as big as his fist.
(b) Letters of credit from Buenos Aires.
(c) Gold dust in his shoes.
(d) Diamonds and jewels in his pockets.
3. When Candide and Martin arrive in a new country after Paris, whose execution dot they observe?
(a) An English admiral.
(b) A sailor
(c) An Irish admiral.
(d) A local thief.
4. How much did Cacambo give to the Governor of Buenos Aires to buy Cunégonde?
(a) One thousand worth of diamonds.
(b) Two million worth of diamonds.
(c) Five francs.
(d) Three diamonds.
5. After everyone goes to work on the farm, what do they discover?
(a) How to make money raising red sheep.
(b) contentment, as they are no longer searching for something.
(c) That there is treasure buried on the farm.
(d) How to make themselve too tired to be unhappy.
6. How does Candide now feel about Cunegonde in Chapter 29?
(a) He fears she has lost her mind.
(b) He wants to have her examined by a doctor.
(c) He no longer wants her, but keeps his promise.
(d) He loves her so much he cannot see the change in her.
7. After drifting downstream in Chapter 17, how does Candide's and Cacambo's ride end?
(a) The canoe falls apart and they swim to shore.
(b) Their canoe runs aground and is ruined on the reefs.
(c) They come to a small village.
(d) The are captured by jungle natives.
8. How many others are in the galley with Pangloss and the Baron?
9. What problem arises between Candide and the Baron in Chapter 30?
(a) The Baron demands a large allowence.
(b) The Baron wants Cunegonde's dowery.
(c) The Baron demands to marry before his sister does.
(d) The Baron is still opposed to Candide marrying his sister.
10. How does Martin further Candide's depression after they land in Venice?
(a) He tells him that Cunégonde is seriously disfigured.
(b) He says that Cacambo must have died of a horrible disease.
(c) He tells him that Cunégonde is dead.
(d) He tells him that he should not have trusted Cacambo, a half-breed, to go off and fetch his love.
11. Why is Candide told the individual in Chapter 23 was being executed?
(a) because he did not kill enough Frenchmen.
(b) because he accidentally sank a British ship.
(c) Because he was a French spy.
(d) Because he was too old to go back to sea.
12. Why is Martin arrested in Paris?
(b) Accosting a woman.
(d) Impersonating a priest.
13. What do Candide and Martin do immediately upon arriving in Venice in Chapter 24?
(a) Try the Italian food.
(b) Ask directions to the bank.
(c) Send word for Cacambo.
(d) Locate a good hotel.
14. What happens to Paquette after Candide leaves Westphalia?
(a) She is initiated into a cannabilistic tribe.
(b) She marries Pangloss.
(c) She is raped by the Bulgarians.
(d) She also gets kicked out of Westphalia.
15. Where is the house of the Prince of Transylvania?
(a) In England.
(b) On the Sea of Marmora.
(c) In Constantinople.
(d) In Venice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cunégonde react to Candide and her brother on the banks of Propontis?
2. What does the local tribe want to do with Candide and Cacambo?
3. What had happened to the young Baron after he recovered from the stab wound?
4. Why does Martin agree to continue on with Candide to Venice?
5. What does the philosopher say the King never worries about when he sends a ship to Egypt?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)