|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sees Pangloss help the woman replace her flowers on her breast and has him arrested for it?
(a) The Governor.
(b) The Baron.
(c) The Grand Inquisitor.
(d) The Imam.
2. Who does Brother Giroflée wish was at the bottom of the sea?
(a) The French.
(b) The Theatines.
(c) The Spanish.
(d) The Dutch.
3. Why does Candide believe he has an advantage over Martin?
(a) He still has reason to be optimistic towards his future because of Cunégonde.
(b) He doesn't think he has an advantage over Martin.
(c) He is more realistic about the future.
(d) He has more education than Martin.
4. What is finally revealed about Senator Pococurante in Chapter 25?
(a) His lack of education.
(b) His negative character.
(c) His kindness to his servants.
(d) his false pretenses at wealth.
5. According to Cacambo, where is Cunégonde?
6. What effect does the execution in Chapter 23 have on Candide?
(a) He is horrified and pays a Dutch captain to take him to Venice.
(b) He is amused by the ignorance of the English.
(c) He recalls the brutality of the Bulgarians.
(d) He stays in England to see another one.
7. Falling ill in Paris, why does Candide get a lot of medical attention?
(a) Because he is handsome.
(b) Because he is from Westphalia.
(c) Because he is rich.
(d) Because he has a rare disease.
8. What do Candide and Cacambo see when they rest in a field to eat during Chapter 16?
(a) Five men roasting a body in a cauldron.
(b) A mouse who has build a tiny house.
(c) Two monkeys chasing two naked girls through the field.
(d) A parrot eating some berries and talking.
9. What are Cunegonde and the old woman by Chapter 27?
(a) Workers in a brothel.
(b) Slaves of an Aga.
(c) Servants for a prince.
(d) Dancers in a theate.
10. What does the King of Eldorado provide for Candide and Cacambo as they leave?
(a) An escort of 30 Eldorado soldiers to prevent robbery.
(b) A flying carpet to carry them over the mountains.
(c) Red sheep to ride on and 20 red sheep each to carry treasure.
(d) A large raft to carry them down the river.
11. How does Cunégonde react to Candide and her brother on the banks of Propontis?
(a) She ignores them.
(b) She warmly embraces them.
(c) She faints.
(d) She asks them what took so long.
12. What kind of ship are Candide and Martin passengers on?
(a) A Spanish ship.
(b) A pirate ship.
(c) A Dutch ship.
(d) An Arab ship.
13. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
(a) Dr. Pangloss and Cunégonde's brother.
(b) Mr. Issachar and Cacambo.
(c) The governor and the Grand Inquisitor.
(d) Martin and Cacambo.
14. Where is King Theodore from?
15. Where do Candide, Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, and the Baron find Cunegonde and the old woman?
(a) On a slave block.
(b) In a kitchen.
(c) In a laundry.
(d) On the banks of Propontis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Candide's reaction to the execution he sees in England?
2. What is Pococurante's attitude toward his art collection?
3. Where do Candide and Cacambo decide to go after they rule out going back to Cunégonde, going to Germany, and staying near the Oreillons?
4. How does Senator Pococurante treat his female servants?
5. What comes out about what Pococurante does with his servant girls?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)