|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At a stream they come to in Chapter 17, what do Candide and Cacambo discover?
(a) boys swimming in the stream.
(b) A place to take a bath.
(c) An abandoned canoe.
(d) Women washing clothes.
2. What do Candide and Cacambo survive on for a month?
(a) Wild fruits.
(b) Horse meat.
(d) Dog meat.
3. What does Cacambo tell Candide to do when he finally shows up in Chapter 26?
(a) To watch out for the police.
(b) To wait in his hotel room.
(c) To give him money for information about Cunegonde.
(d) To ready himself to leave Venice.
4. From whom does Cacambo get permission for Candide and Martin to board a ship for Constantinople?
(a) The governor.
(b) The harbor master.
(c) His master.
(d) The Senator.
5. How much money does Cacambo give to the Governor of Buenos Aires?
(a) One million.
(c) Two million.
(d) Five million.
6. What does Cacambo tell the tribe to take to prove who they really are?
(a) Candide's robe.
(b) Candide's traveling bag.
(c) Candide's money.
(d) Candide's ring.
7. What does the philosopher say the King never worries about when he sends a ship to Egypt?
(a) Whether or not the mice are comfortable.
(b) What the weather is like.
(c) If a doctor is on board or not.
(d) What the women on board look like.
8. After drifting downstream in Chapter 17, how does Candide's and Cacambo's ride end?
(a) The are captured by jungle natives.
(b) Their canoe runs aground and is ruined on the reefs.
(c) The canoe falls apart and they swim to shore.
(d) They come to a small village.
9. Who do Candide and Martin dine with the night after Cacambo accosts them?
(a) The Senator.
(b) Four knights.
(c) Six excommunicated Kings.
(d) A governor and a knight.
10. What is the response to Candide's question about religion in the country with gold streets?
(a) The old man says they worship a golden calf.
(b) The old man says each person has his own rleigion.
(c) The old man answers there are no religions in his country.
(d) The old man says their religion is animism.
11. Who sees Pangloss help the woman replace her flowers on her breast and has him arrested for it?
(a) The Baron.
(b) The Grand Inquisitor.
(c) The Imam.
(d) The Governor.
12. How old is Pococurante?
(d) In his early 60s.
13. Why does Candide initially think Senator Pococurante is a happy man before Martin persuades him otherwise?
(a) The Senator is jovial and pours large glasses of wine.
(b) The Senator appears to gain pleasure in critiquing and criticizing art.
(c) The Senator has art, music, and women.
(d) The Senator is pleasant throughout their visit.
14. How does Martin describe Paris?
15. What correspondence does Candide receive the morning after the party at the French lady's house in Chapter 22?
(a) A second invitation from the French lady.
(b) a letter signed by Cunegonde, telling him she is in Paris.
(c) A threatening note telling him to leave Paris.
(d) A summons to go to court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does the actress Candide likes play?
2. What do Candide and Cacambo find that takes them to the village in the mountains?
3. What bizarre action follows Candide's response to what he saw running across a field in Chapter 16?
4. What happens to Cacambo and Candide's horses?
5. At the end of the novel, what is the only thing that Candide decide is necessary for happiness?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)