|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Cacambo get permission for Candide and Martin to board a ship for Constantinople?
(a) The Senator.
(b) The harbor master.
(c) The governor.
(d) His master.
2. Why are the two girls upset when Candide kills the monkeys?
(a) They think monkeys are sacred creatures.
(b) They believe in pacifism.
(c) The monkeys were their pets.
(d) The monkeys were their lovers.
3. Whose execution do Candide and Martin witness in England?
(a) A shopkeeper.
(b) An admiral.
(c) A prisoner.
(d) A governor.
4. What is the custom in Eldorado when someone meets the king?
(a) Cover one's face so the king cannot see you.
(b) Bow down to show respect for the king.
(c) Embrace the king and kiss both his cheeks.
(d) Prostrate oneself flat on the ground.
5. What is it that Martin does not have in Chapter 21?
(a) Any experience in France.
(b) A place to stay in France.
(c) A very good opinion of the French people.
(d) An ear for the French language.
6. Who originally seduces Paquette?
(b) The Baron.
(c) Brother Giroflée.
(d) A Franciscan friar.
7. According to Martin, for what purpose is the earth formed?
(a) To drive men mad.
(b) To give men hope.
(c) To provide sustenance.
(d) To achieve men's dreams.
8. Why does the Spanish captain refuse to take Candide and Cacambo to Buenos Aires?
(a) Because he believes Candide will kill him.
(b) Because Cunégonde is the governor's favorite mistress.
(c) Because Candide does not have enough money.
(d) Because he thinks that Candide is a liar.
9. How many serene highnesses show up at the inn?
10. Why does Candide pay the Dutch captain to sail to Venice as soon as possible?
(a) Because he wants to go fishing.
(b) Because he is traumatized from the execution.
(c) Because he thinks England smells bad.
(d) Because he wants to see Cunégonde.
11. Where is the house of the Prince of Transylvania?
(a) In Constantinople.
(b) On the Sea of Marmora.
(c) In England.
(d) In Venice.
12. Which of the following characters does not accompany Candide to the banks of Propontis?
(a) The Baron.
(c) Mr. Issachar.
13. What distresses Candide after he sees Cacambo in Chapter 26?
(a) That Cacambo is so mysterious.
(b) that Martin does not trust Cacambo.
(c) that Cacambo looks 10 years younger.
(d) That Cunegonde is not with him.
14. Who do the two slaves on the ship to Contantinople turn out to be?
(a) Students of Dr. Pangloss in Westphalia.
(b) Servants who escaped from Westphalia.
(c) Soldiers from the Bulgarian army.
(d) Dr. Pangloss and Cunegonde's brother.
15. Why does Candide decide to purchase a farm?
(a) He wants to escape the public life.
(b) The old woman suggests it.
(c) He wants to raise a family.
(d) He wants to raise chickens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had happened to the young Baron after he recovered from the stab wound?
2. Why doesn't Cunégonde know she has become ugly?
3. What happens after Candide stabs Cunégonde's brother?
4. Cacambo gets permission from his master for Candide and Martin to join them on their ship. Where are they going?
5. What happened to Pangloss' and the Baron's feet?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)