|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Candide ask Martin when the shore of France comes into sight from their ship?
(a) If Martin has ever seen France.
(b) If Martin will be leaving him in France.
(c) If Martin likes to eat French food.
(d) If Martin would like to find some French women.
2. How many people are on the deck of the sinking ship that Candide and Martin see?
3. Why doesn't Cunégonde know she has become ugly?
(a) No one has told her.
(b) She doesn't own a mirror.
(c) She is blind.
(d) She knows, but is in denial.
4. How many times has Candide been to France before arriving with Martin?
(a) Eight times.
(c) Four times.
(d) Zero times.
5. What happens when Candide and Cacambo try to pay for their lunch with the jewels they have found?
(a) The townspeople begin to surround them and demand they hand over the jewels.
(b) They are laughed at because jewels are not seen as currency.
(c) The server graciously accepts their generous gift.
(d) The other patrons beg for their help to escape Eldorado.
6. What problem arises between Candide and the Baron in Chapter 30?
(a) The Baron demands to marry before his sister does.
(b) The Baron wants Cunegonde's dowery.
(c) The Baron demands a large allowence.
(d) The Baron is still opposed to Candide marrying his sister.
7. What does Cacambo tell the tribe to take to prove who they really are?
(a) Candide's robe.
(b) Candide's ring.
(c) Candide's traveling bag.
(d) Candide's money.
8. When Candide and Martin arrive in a new country after Paris, whose execution dot they observe?
(a) A local thief.
(b) An Irish admiral.
(c) An English admiral.
(d) A sailor
9. How does Martin propose to prove a happy looking couple in Chapter 24 is not happy at all?
(a) By inviting them to dinner.
(b) By paying them to tell their stories.
(c) By introducing them to some courtiers.
(d) by following them home.
10. In Bordeaux, what does Candide do with the red sheep?
(a) He gives them to the church.
(b) He sells their unusual red wool and then eats them.
(c) He gives the sheep to the Academy of Sciences to study.
(d) He barbecues them.
11. What game are the children in the village playing?
12. Who does the local tribe think Candide and Cacambo are?
(d) Spanish soldiers.
13. What tribe lives in the area where Candide and Cacambo rest?
(a) The Oreillons.
(b) The Avars.
(c) The Turks.
(d) The Bulgars.
14. Why is Dr. Pangloss unhappy at the end of the story?
(a) Candide no longer believes his philosophy.
(b) He cannot walk because of his slashed feet.
(c) The old woman demands that he marry her.
(d) He does not hold a valuable position to teach his philosophies.
15. Why does Candide pay the Dutch captain to sail to Venice as soon as possible?
(a) Because he thinks England smells bad.
(b) Because he wants to go fishing.
(c) Because he wants to see Cunégonde.
(d) Because he is traumatized from the execution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the roads Candide and Cacambo find as they climb into the mountains in Chapter 17?
2. What job does Martin get in Paris?
3. What does Cacambo say Cunégonde and the old woman are doing in Chapter 27?
4. With whom do Candide and Martin dine the night after Cacambo leaves in Chapter 26?
5. What is the country with gold streets called?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)