|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the roads Candide and Cacambo find as they climb into the mountains in Chapter 17?
(a) They are paved in gold.
(b) They are wide enough for six charriots.
(c) They are very steep.
(d) They are very crooked.
2. What does Candide ask Martin when the shore of France comes into sight from their ship?
(a) If Martin will be leaving him in France.
(b) If Martin has ever seen France.
(c) If Martin would like to find some French women.
(d) If Martin likes to eat French food.
3. What positive point does a spectator say executions have in England?
(a) To keep a positive morale.
(b) To serve as entertainment purposes.
(c) To keep leaders motivated.
(d) To keep the guillotine sharp.
4. What do the English think about killing an admiral every once in a while?
(a) It gives the people something to do.
(b) It makes the sailors happy.
(c) Its just something they have always done.
(d) It is a good motivator for the other admirals.
5. Who does Pococurante prefer to Virgil?
(b) The Bible.
6. What does Candide want to purchase with the riches he has gathered in Eldorado?
(a) A concubine and Westphalia.
(b) A slave and a house.
(c) Cunégonde and Westphalia.
(d) Cunégonde and Buenos Aires.
7. Where do Candide and Cacambo decide to go after they rule out going back to Cunégonde, going to Germany, and staying near the Oreillons?
(a) Buenos Aires.
8. Who does the woman in the happy couple in Chapter 24 turn out to be?
(a) Cunegonde, who has grown ugly.
(b) Paquette, the maid at Westphalia.
(c) The old woman.
(d) Martin's former wife.
9. What crime had landed the young Baron as a galley slave?
(a) For being a Jesuit.
(b) slipping into the Sultan's harem.
(c) Bathing with the Sultan's page.
(d) Preaching Christianity.
10. What does the Baron fear for any children that Candide and Cunégonde might have?
(a) They will be stupid.
(b) They will be poor.
(c) They couldn't enter the noble assemblies of Germany.
(d) They will be ugly.
11. As he is coming back from a party, what does Candide tell the abbé?
(a) He feels guilty for cheating on his Cunégonde.
(b) He feels guilty for drinking too much wine.
(c) He has fallen in love with a young woman.
(d) He is sad that he has lost money playing cards.
12. What do Cunégonde's arms look like?
(a) They are red and scaly.
(b) They are tanned from the sun.
(c) They are covered with scars from getting whipped.
(d) They look pale and virginal.
13. How much does Candide pay the Dutch captain?
(a) He gives him nothing.
(b) 2 piasters.
(c) 30,000 piasters.
(d) 100,000 piasters.
14. What skill does Paquette develop?
(b) Writing poems.
(d) Doing embroidery.
15. How long do Candide and Martin wait in Venice without word of Cacambo?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) One month.
(d) Three days.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Candide and Martin arrive in a new country after Paris, whose execution dot they observe?
2. What are the inhabitants of Eldorado prohibited from doing?
3. Where do Candide and Martin end up after Paris?
4. Who does Brother Giroflée wish was at the bottom of the sea?
5. Who does Candide donate his sheep to?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)