|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language do the people in the village speak?
2. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
(a) Mr. Issachar and Cacambo.
(b) The governor and the Grand Inquisitor.
(c) Dr. Pangloss and Cunégonde's brother.
(d) Martin and Cacambo.
3. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
(a) One month.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) One year.
4. What strange sight do Cacambo and Candide witness running across the field in Chapter 16?
(a) two girls having their clothes ripped off by monkeys.
(b) Two naked girls pulling monkeys' tails.
(c) two naked girls chased by monkeys biting at their buttocks.
(d) naked soldiers sword fighting with two monkeys.
5. Where do Candide, Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, and the Baron find Cunegonde and the old woman?
(a) In a kitchen.
(b) On a slave block.
(c) On the banks of Propontis.
(d) In a laundry.
6. How long do Candide and Martin have to stay on the Dutch ship before it sails?
(a) Two days.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) A month.
(d) One week.
7. How is the problem of the Baron solved in Chapter 30?
(a) He is sent back to Westphalia.
(b) He is sold back to be a galley slave.
(c) He is locked in a room.
(d) He is turned over to the Bulgarians.
8. What are Cunégonde and the old woman doing when Candide finds them on the banks of Propontis?
(a) Washing dishes.
(b) Doing laundry.
(c) Having a picnic.
(d) Taking a nap.
9. What does Candide want to experience with a traveling companion?
(a) Good conversation.
10. What does Candide's new traveling partner to Bordeaux profess to be?
(a) A Jesuit.
(b) A Manichaean.
(c) A Protestant.
(d) An atheist.
11. How many sheep are left one hundred days after Candide and Cacambo leave Eldorado?
(b) One hundred.
12. In Chapter 25, when does Candide say he will be the only happy man in the world?
(a) When he is reunited with his Cunegonde.
(b) When he can return to Westphalia.
(c) When he becomes a philosopher like Pangloss.
(d) When he gets his diamonds back.
13. What do all the characters at the farm end up deciding to do at the end of the book?
(a) Go their separate ways.
(b) Work the farm.
(c) Celebrate Cunégonde's baby.
(d) Kill Candide.
14. According to the abbé, how many good plays have been written in France?
(c) A hundred.
(d) Fifteen or sixteen.
15. To whom does Candide give the sheep in Bordeaux?
(b) The Academy of Sciences.
(c) The Governor's mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Cunegonde by Chapter 29?
2. Why are each of the men at Candide's and Martin's table in Venice?
3. What is Cunegonde unaware of, regarding Cunegonde in Chapter 29?
4. Why does Candide think it was lucky he killed the Baron?
5. What distresses Candide after he sees Cacambo in Chapter 26?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)