|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cunégonde's job?
(a) A publisher.
(b) A dishwasher.
(c) A barmaid.
(d) A dancer.
2. How does Cacambo describe Cunégonde's appearance as she has gotten older?
(a) She is plainer than before.
(b) She is more beautiful than ever.
(c) She is pretty.
(d) She is ugly.
3. Why do the people who captured and bound Candide and Cacambo suspect that Candide is a Jesuit?
(a) Because he has a necklace with a cross.
(b) Because he speaks the language of the Jesuits.
(c) Because he begins to pray when he is captured.
(d) Because he is still wearing the Commandant's robe.
4. What do Candide and his new traveling partner to Bordeaux rescue from the ocean in Chapter 20?
(a) A porpose caught in a net.
(b) The crew of the evil captain's ship.
(c) One of his red sheep.
(d) His last two sheep.
5. Why are the guests, with whom Candide and Martin have dinner the night after Cacambo accosts them, in Venice?
(a) To get revenge.
(b) To reunite with old friends.
(c) For the wedding of one of their children.
(d) To experience Carnival.
6. What happens to the man on the deck of the naval vessel?
(a) He is hanged.
(b) He is given a commendation.
(c) He is given money.
(d) He is shot in the head.
7. What does the local tribe want to do with Candide and Cacambo?
(a) They want to eat them.
(b) They want to burn them.
(c) They want to imprison them.
(d) They want to make them kings.
8. Who does Pococurante prefer to Virgil?
(d) The Bible.
9. What happens to Paquette after Candide leaves Westphalia?
(a) She marries Pangloss.
(b) She is initiated into a cannabilistic tribe.
(c) She is raped by the Bulgarians.
(d) She also gets kicked out of Westphalia.
10. Who does Candide donate his sheep to?
(a) A beggar.
(b) The Church.
(c) A rich widow.
(d) The Bordeaux Academy of Science.
11. What is Martin's opinion of the people who inhabit France?
(a) He loves French people.
(b) He likes their food but not the people.
(c) He prefers Parisians to other French people.
(d) He has a low opinion of them.
12. What does Candide ask Martin when the shore of France comes into sight from their ship?
(a) If Martin would like to find some French women.
(b) If Martin will be leaving him in France.
(c) If Martin likes to eat French food.
(d) If Martin has ever seen France.
13. Who is Candide's new traveling partner on the way to Bordeaux?
(a) A barber named Francisco.
(b) A man blind in one eye named Karl.
(c) A black soldier missing a hand and a leg.
(d) An old scholar named Martin.
14. Where does Cacambo say Cunegonde is in Chapter 26?
15. Why is Cunégonde's brother arrested in Constantinople?
(a) For praying in a mosque.
(b) For stealing a loaf of bread.
(c) For bathing with the Sultan's page.
(d) For preaching Christian doctrine.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cacambo, where is Cunégonde?
2. At the end of the novel, what is the only thing that Candide decide is necessary for happiness?
3. Running away from the scene of the murder, where do Cacambo and Candide stop to rest and eat in Chapter 16?
4. How much is the diamond worth that Candide pawns?
5. What job does Martin get in Paris?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)