|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the King of Eldorado provide for Candide and Cacambo as they leave?
(a) An escort of 30 Eldorado soldiers to prevent robbery.
(b) A large raft to carry them down the river.
(c) A flying carpet to carry them over the mountains.
(d) Red sheep to ride on and 20 red sheep each to carry treasure.
2. How does Martin describe Paris?
3. What happens to two slaves on the ship going to Constantinople?
(a) They are repeatedly whipped.
(b) They are fed only bread and water.
(c) They are thrown overboard.
(d) They are forced to row all night.
4. What do Candide and Martin do immediately upon arriving in Venice in Chapter 24?
(a) Send word for Cacambo.
(b) Try the Italian food.
(c) Ask directions to the bank.
(d) Locate a good hotel.
5. What happens to Paquette after Candide leaves Westphalia?
(a) She marries Pangloss.
(b) She also gets kicked out of Westphalia.
(c) She is raped by the Bulgarians.
(d) She is initiated into a cannabilistic tribe.
6. What does the man of the couple in Chapter 24, Friar Giroflee, say about his happiness?
(a) He loves a married woman.
(b) He does not want to be in the monastery.
(c) He was abandoned by his family.
(d) Paquette gave him a venereal disease.
7. How is it proven that Candide is not a Jesuit?
(a) The captors threaten to eat him and see whether Candide prays.
(b) The captors quiz him on his early childhood.
(c) The captors take Candide's robe and ask villagers to whom it belonged.
(d) The captors ask him to repeat a Catholic prayer.
8. What role does the actress Candide likes play?
(c) Marie Antoinette.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
9. What does Candide bring with him when he goes to see Cunégonde in the hotel after receiving a letter signed by her?
(a) All of his diamonds and Cacambo.
(b) Martin and Medicine.
(c) Medicine and gold.
(d) Martin and all of his gold and diamonds.
10. What do Pangloss, Martin, and Candide learn from an old man?
(a) How to be happy by being productive.
(b) How to open a boarding school.
(c) Where to find a treasure.
(d) How much Candide can sell the farm for.
11. What positive point does a spectator say executions have in England?
(a) To serve as entertainment purposes.
(b) To keep leaders motivated.
(c) To keep the guillotine sharp.
(d) To keep a positive morale.
12. How does Cunégonde react to Candide and her brother on the banks of Propontis?
(a) She faints.
(b) She asks them what took so long.
(c) She warmly embraces them.
(d) She ignores them.
13. What does Martin compare the life of a gondolier to?
(a) A priest.
(b) A doge.
(c) A dog.
(d) A sheep.
14. Candide and Martin are walking to dinner one night. What does Cacambo accosts Candide to tell him?
(a) That Cunégonde is dead.
(b) To ready himself to leave Venice.
(c) To make plans to go to Bordeaux.
(d) That he has captured Cunégonde.
15. How does Senator Pococurante treat his female servants?
(a) He makes them perform dances for him.
(b) He forces them to share a bed with him.
(c) He whips them.
(d) He ignores them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cunégonde's arms look like?
2. What game are the children in the village playing?
3. How much does Candide pay the Dutch captain?
4. Cacambo gets permission from his master for Candide and Martin to join them on their ship. Where are they going?
5. In what city do Martin and Candide land in England?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)