|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Candide think it was lucky he killed the Baron?
(a) Otherwise he would have had to marry Cunégonde.
(b) Otherwise he would have been eaten.
(c) Otherwise he would have had to leave South America.
(d) Otherwise he would have had to become the tribal king.
2. Why are each of the men at Candide's and Martin's table in Venice?
(a) To select a bride.
(b) To visit the Pope.
(c) To take in the carnival.
(d) To find an embezzler.
3. How does Pangloss wake up after being hanged?
(a) When a surgeon dissecting him begins to cut.
(b) When he is being buried.
(c) When holy water is sprinkled on him.
(d) He never wakes up after being hanged.
4. Where do Candide and Martin first see the girl and the monk?
(a) On their ship.
(b) In church.
(c) At their inn.
(d) St. Mark's Square.
5. Why doesn't Cunégonde know she has become ugly?
(a) She doesn't own a mirror.
(b) No one has told her.
(c) She knows, but is in denial.
(d) She is blind.
6. To which destination does Martin agree to continue with Candide in Chapter 21?
(c) Buenos Aires.
7. What language do the people in the village speak?
8. What does Martin suggest Cacambo has done after they don't hear from him for while in Venice?
(a) Settled down in Buenos Aires.
(b) Drowned at sea.
(c) kept the jewels, bought a kingdom, and married Cunegonde.
(d) Returned to stay in Eldorado.
9. Pococurante says that his collections of sonnets aren't worth one page of who?
10. How much money does Candide lose at the dinner when he is playing cards?
(a) Fifty diamonds.
(b) One thousand francs.
(c) Twelve francs.
(d) Fifty thousand francs.
11. What are Cunegonde and the old woman by Chapter 27?
(a) Dancers in a theate.
(b) Slaves of an Aga.
(c) Workers in a brothel.
(d) Servants for a prince.
12. What is Candide's reaction to the execution he sees in England?
(a) He is horrified.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is sad.
13. What is Cunegonde unaware of, regarding Cunegonde in Chapter 29?
(a) That one of the men is her brother.
(b) that she has turned ugly.
(c) That Candide has bought her.
(d) That Candide has been looking for her.
14. Why does Candide apologize to Cunegonde's brother in Chapter 28?
(a) For not recognizing him.
(b) For wanting to marry his sister.
(c) For trying to kill him.
(d) for leaving him in Peru.
15. Upon seeing the strange sight running across a field in Chapter 16, what does Candide do?
(a) Falls down laughing hysterically.
(b) Shoots the monkeys.
(c) Challenges the sword fighters.
(d) Shoots the girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martin's opinion of the people who inhabit France?
2. Why is Candide still optimistic after meeting Senator Pococurante?
3. Which of the following characteristics describes Senator Pococurante?
4. The land of Eldorado is the ancient kingdom of whom?
5. What happens to Cacambo and Candide's horses?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)