|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to Cunegonde by Chapter 29?
(a) She has turned dark from exposure to the sun.
(b) She has turned gray haired.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She has become ugly.
2. With what are the children playing in the schoolyard of the village in the mountains?
3. What is the philosophy that Martin claims to follow?
4. In Chapter 30, why does Pangloss feel unfulfilled?
(a) He has lost his intelligence and cannot hold a conversation.
(b) He is tired of working so hard.
(c) He is going deaf.
(d) He does not hold a position where he could expand and teach his philosophies.
5. What does Candide ask Martin when the shore of France comes into sight from their ship?
(a) If Martin has ever seen France.
(b) If Martin would like to find some French women.
(c) If Martin will be leaving him in France.
(d) If Martin likes to eat French food.
6. According to Cacambo, where is Cunégonde?
7. What language do the people in the village speak?
8. Which group of people captures Candide and Cacambo, binds them, and threatens to eat them?
(a) The Bulgarians.
(b) The Jesuits.
(c) The Oreillons.
(d) The Inquisitors.
9. How does Martin propose to prove a happy looking couple in Chapter 24 is not happy at all?
(a) by following them home.
(b) By introducing them to some courtiers.
(c) By inviting them to dinner.
(d) By paying them to tell their stories.
10. According to Martin, for what purpose is the earth formed?
(a) To give men hope.
(b) To provide sustenance.
(c) To achieve men's dreams.
(d) To drive men mad.
11. Back from the party at the French lady's house, why does Candide feel guilty?
(a) For losing so much money.
(b) For giving the lady only one diamond.
(c) For cheating on his Cunegonde.
(d) For not taking Martin to the party.
12. Who discovers that Pangloss was still alive after the auto-da-fé?
(a) The surgeon.
(b) The Baron.
(c) The Grand Inquisitor.
13. What happens after Candide stabs Cunégonde's brother?
(a) He bleeds to death.
(b) Candide feels guilty and revives him.
(c) He is buried alive before his servant realizes he is still breathing.
(d) One of the Baron's servants finds him and he is healed.
14. What does the philosopher say the King never worries about when he sends a ship to Egypt?
(a) What the weather is like.
(b) If a doctor is on board or not.
(c) Whether or not the mice are comfortable.
(d) What the women on board look like.
15. What does Martin compare the life of a gondolier to?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A doge.
(c) A priest.
(d) A dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the custom in Eldorado when someone meets the king?
2. What do Candide and Cacambo see when they rest in a field to eat during Chapter 16?
3. Where do Candide and Martin first see the girl and the monk?
4. Why are each of the men at Candide's and Martin's table in Venice?
5. How could the apartment of the old man in Chapter 18 be described?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)