|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing that Candide tells Martin is better than Eldorado?
(c) French wine.
2. Candide and Martin have dinner with guests the night after Cacambo accosts them. What do the guests complain about?
(a) That their last plunder was unsuccessful.
(b) That Cacambo is a lousy slave.
(c) That they have not been given grandchildren.
(d) Being wronged and stripped of their birthright.
3. What happens when Candide goes to the court to report the captain who stole his sheep and riches?
(a) Candide is rewarded.
(b) The captain is arrested.
(c) Candide is arrested.
(d) Candide is fined.
4. What are Cunégonde and the old woman doing when Candide finds them on the banks of Propontis?
(a) Taking a nap.
(b) Having a picnic.
(c) Doing laundry.
(d) Washing dishes.
5. What kind of ship are Candide and Martin passengers on?
(a) An Arab ship.
(b) A Spanish ship.
(c) A pirate ship.
(d) A Dutch ship.
6. What is it that Martin does not have in Chapter 21?
(a) A very good opinion of the French people.
(b) A place to stay in France.
(c) Any experience in France.
(d) An ear for the French language.
7. What do Cunégonde's arms look like?
(a) They look pale and virginal.
(b) They are red and scaly.
(c) They are covered with scars from getting whipped.
(d) They are tanned from the sun.
8. Who relieved Cacambo of all his wealth after he buys back Cunegonde?
(a) A bad judge.
(b) A pirate.
(c) A ship's captain.
(d) A military captain.
9. How does Candide finally get out of the country in Chapter 19?
(a) On an Italian ship bound for Milan.
(b) On a German ship bound for England.
(c) On a Russian ship bound for Africa.
(d) On a French ship leaving for Bordeaux.
10. What does Candide wonder about because of Cacambo's impoverished condition?
(a) Why he seems so happy.
(b) What kind of master he has.
(c) The six million worth of diamonds when they last parted.
(d) How did he find Cunegonde while he was a slave.
11. What does Candide want to purchase with the riches he has gathered in Eldorado?
(a) A slave and a house.
(b) A concubine and Westphalia.
(c) Cunégonde and Buenos Aires.
(d) Cunégonde and Westphalia.
12. Running away from the scene of the murder, where do Cacambo and Candide stop to rest and eat in Chapter 16?
(a) Near a small mountain.
(b) Across the border into Peru.
(c) In a small village.
(d) In a field near a stream.
13. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
(a) Martin and Cacambo.
(b) The governor and the Grand Inquisitor.
(c) Mr. Issachar and Cacambo.
(d) Dr. Pangloss and Cunégonde's brother.
14. What positive point does a spectator say executions have in England?
(a) To keep the guillotine sharp.
(b) To keep a positive morale.
(c) To serve as entertainment purposes.
(d) To keep leaders motivated.
15. What happens to the man on the deck of the naval vessel?
(a) He is shot in the head.
(b) He is hanged.
(c) He is given money.
(d) He is given a commendation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Candide now feel about Cunegonde in Chapter 29?
2. What is the country with gold streets called?
3. According to Cacambo, where is Cunégonde?
4. Where do Candide and Martin end up after Paris?
5. When Candide and Martin arrive in a new country after Paris, whose execution dot they observe?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)