|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Candide goes to the court to report the captain who stole his sheep and riches?
(a) Candide is fined.
(b) The captain is arrested.
(c) Candide is rewarded.
(d) Candide is arrested.
2. How does Martin describe Paris?
3. What is Cunégonde's job?
(a) A barmaid.
(b) A publisher.
(c) A dishwasher.
(d) A dancer.
4. What does Candide give the French lady for taking him to bed?
(a) All of his jewels.
(b) A small bag of gold dust.
(c) the diamond ring that is on his finger.
(d) Several diamonds and rubies.
5. What are the children playing with when Candide and Cacambo come to a village in Chapter 17?
(a) Tound pieces that look like colored jewels.
(b) Diamond, ruby, and emerald building blocks.
(c) Long snakes that coil and hiss.
(d) spinning tops made of gold.
6. What skill does Paquette develop?
(a) Writing poems.
(b) Doing embroidery.
7. Falling ill in Paris, why does Candide get a lot of medical attention?
(a) Because he is rich.
(b) Because he is from Westphalia.
(c) Because he has a rare disease.
(d) Because he is handsome.
8. Who does the local tribe think Candide and Cacambo are?
(a) Spanish soldiers.
9. After Candide buys back Cunegonde and the old woman, where do they all go to live?
(a) The castle in Westphalia.
(b) On a farm Candide buys.
(c) In Paris.
(d) In a villa on the South of France.
10. What effect does the execution in Chapter 23 have on Candide?
(a) He is horrified and pays a Dutch captain to take him to Venice.
(b) He recalls the brutality of the Bulgarians.
(c) He stays in England to see another one.
(d) He is amused by the ignorance of the English.
11. Who does Candide donate his sheep to?
(a) The Church.
(b) A rich widow.
(c) The Bordeaux Academy of Science.
(d) A beggar.
12. Who is Candide's new traveling partner on the way to Bordeaux?
(a) An old scholar named Martin.
(b) A barber named Francisco.
(c) A black soldier missing a hand and a leg.
(d) A man blind in one eye named Karl.
13. How could the apartment of the old man in Chapter 18 be described?
(a) too large for only one old man.
(b) A cave in a diamond mine.
(c) Gilded and encrusted in rubies.
(d) plain white granite walls and floors.
14. In what city do Martin and Candide land in England?
15. What is still going on in Germany in Chapter 17?
(a) The search for Candide and Pangloss.
(b) The Bulgarian reign of terror.
(c) The war between the Bulgarians and the Avares.
(d) The hangings and floggings of Westphalians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Candide and Martin land at the end of the chapter?
2. How is it proven that Candide is not a Jesuit?
3. Why is Candide told the individual in Chapter 23 was being executed?
4. What problem arises between Candide and the Baron in Chapter 30?
5. Why do the foreigners at the inn come to Venice?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)