|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What positive point does a spectator say executions have in England?
(a) To keep the guillotine sharp.
(b) To keep leaders motivated.
(c) To serve as entertainment purposes.
(d) To keep a positive morale.
2. What is Candide's reaction to the execution he sees in England?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He is horrified.
3. What is it that Martin does not have in Chapter 21?
(a) Any experience in France.
(b) A place to stay in France.
(c) A very good opinion of the French people.
(d) An ear for the French language.
4. What does Candide give the French lady for taking him to bed?
(a) A small bag of gold dust.
(b) Several diamonds and rubies.
(c) the diamond ring that is on his finger.
(d) All of his jewels.
5. What caused Pangloss to be enslaved?
(a) Trying to propose to a Muslim woman.
(b) Touching a woman he was not related to by blood.
(c) Peeking into the women's bath house.
(d) taking too long helping a woman in a mosque.
6. According to Martin, for what purpose is the earth formed?
(a) To achieve men's dreams.
(b) To provide sustenance.
(c) To drive men mad.
(d) To give men hope.
7. What happens in Chapter 19 as a result of the ship captain's greed?
(a) Candide's sheep are loaded on the ship and it sails away.
(b) Candide is knocked out and all his money stolen.
(c) Candide pays four times what a passage should cost.
(d) Candide is thrown overboard and his sheep are killed.
8. Who does Candide bribe to escape prison in Paris?
(a) The abbé.
(b) The governor.
(c) The inquisitor.
(d) The police.
9. What do Candide and Martin see swimming in the water and rescue?
(d) Candide's sheep.
10. What are Cunégonde and the old woman doing when Candide finds them on the banks of Propontis?
(a) Taking a nap.
(b) Washing dishes.
(c) Having a picnic.
(d) Doing laundry.
11. After a hundred days, how many of the sheep are left carrying gold and jewels?
12. With what are the roads paved in the village at which Candide and Cacambo arrive in the rocky mountains?
13. Cacambo gets permission from his master for Candide and Martin to join them on their ship. Where are they going?
(a) Buenos Aires.
14. Why does Martin agree to continue on with Candide to Venice?
(a) He has a brother living there.
(b) He plans to rob Candide.
(c) he wants to go on to Rome after he gets to Venice.
(d) He has heard good things about Venice.
15. What happens when Candide and Cacambo try to pay for their lunch with the jewels they have found?
(a) The other patrons beg for their help to escape Eldorado.
(b) The server graciously accepts their generous gift.
(c) The townspeople begin to surround them and demand they hand over the jewels.
(d) They are laughed at because jewels are not seen as currency.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Candide believe he has an advantage over Martin?
2. What does the man of the couple in Chapter 24, Friar Giroflee, say about his happiness?
3. What does Martin suggest Cacambo has done after they don't hear from him for while in Venice?
4. Why does Candide decide to go to Venice?
5. Why does Candide decide to purchase a farm?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)