|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What correspondence does Candide receive the morning after the party at the French lady's house in Chapter 22?
(a) A second invitation from the French lady.
(b) A summons to go to court.
(c) A threatening note telling him to leave Paris.
(d) a letter signed by Cunegonde, telling him she is in Paris.
2. What job does Martin get in Paris?
3. Where does the scene in the play Candide attends take place?
4. Why are each of the men at Candide's and Martin's table in Venice?
(a) To select a bride.
(b) To find an embezzler.
(c) To visit the Pope.
(d) To take in the carnival.
5. How many others are in the galley with Pangloss and the Baron?
6. What are the children playing with when Candide and Cacambo come to a village in Chapter 17?
(a) Diamond, ruby, and emerald building blocks.
(b) spinning tops made of gold.
(c) Long snakes that coil and hiss.
(d) Tound pieces that look like colored jewels.
7. How could the apartment of the old man in Chapter 18 be described?
(a) Gilded and encrusted in rubies.
(b) too large for only one old man.
(c) plain white granite walls and floors.
(d) A cave in a diamond mine.
8. What tribe lives in the area where Candide and Cacambo rest?
(a) The Avars.
(b) The Turks.
(c) The Bulgars.
(d) The Oreillons.
9. Who do the two slaves on the ship to Contantinople turn out to be?
(a) Dr. Pangloss and Cunegonde's brother.
(b) Students of Dr. Pangloss in Westphalia.
(c) Servants who escaped from Westphalia.
(d) Soldiers from the Bulgarian army.
10. What does Martin suggest Cacambo has done after they don't hear from him for while in Venice?
(a) Settled down in Buenos Aires.
(b) kept the jewels, bought a kingdom, and married Cunegonde.
(c) Returned to stay in Eldorado.
(d) Drowned at sea.
11. What do all the characters at the farm end up deciding to do at the end of the book?
(a) Work the farm.
(b) Go their separate ways.
(c) Celebrate Cunégonde's baby.
(d) Kill Candide.
12. What happens to the man on the deck of the naval vessel?
(a) He is given a commendation.
(b) He is hanged.
(c) He is shot in the head.
(d) He is given money.
13. Who are the two convicts Candide sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
(a) Martin and Cacambo.
(b) Dr. Pangloss and Cunégonde's brother.
(c) The governor and the Grand Inquisitor.
(d) Mr. Issachar and Cacambo.
14. Pococurante says that his collections of sonnets aren't worth one page of who?
15. After 100 days, how many sheep do Candide and Cacambo still have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime had landed the young Baron as a galley slave?
2. After Candide buys back Cunegonde and the old woman, where do they all go to live?
3. What happens to Paquette after Candide leaves Westphalia?
4. What do all of the foreigners that Candide dines with have in common?
5. At a stream they come to in Chapter 17, what do Candide and Cacambo discover?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)