|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Candide wonder about because of Cacambo's impoverished condition?
(a) What kind of master he has.
(b) How did he find Cunegonde while he was a slave.
(c) The six million worth of diamonds when they last parted.
(d) Why he seems so happy.
2. Why is Candide distressed after Cacambo accosts him?
(a) Because Cunégonde is dead.
(b) Because Cacambo is a slave.
(c) Because Cunégonde is ugly.
(d) Because Cacambo is alive.
3. Why does Candide decide not to go to Germany in Chapter 17?
(a) To avoid being hanged for killing the Grand Inquisitor.
(b) To avoid the war between the Bulgarians and the Abares.
(c) To avoid being burned for killing Cunégonde's brother.
(d) To avoid being eaten by the Oreillons.
4. Why are the guests, with whom Candide and Martin have dinner the night after Cacambo accosts them, in Venice?
(a) For the wedding of one of their children.
(b) To get revenge.
(c) To experience Carnival.
(d) To reunite with old friends.
5. On which of the following things does Candide not complement Senator Pococurante?
(a) His women.
(b) His music.
(c) His artwork.
(d) His poetry.
6. What is the cause of the gunfire that Candide and Martin hear while they are on the ship?
(a) Two sailors fighting.
(b) A rifle accident by the captain.
(c) Two ships fighting.
(d) A gunpowder explosion in the berth.
7. What are the inhabitants of Eldorado prohibited from doing?
(a) Having children.
8. What does the old woman think is worse than all of the torments that she has suffered?
(a) Doing nothing.
(b) Going hungry.
(c) Being unloved.
(d) Being poor.
9. What happens to Paquette after Candide leaves Westphalia?
(a) She is initiated into a cannabilistic tribe.
(b) She also gets kicked out of Westphalia.
(c) She marries Pangloss.
(d) She is raped by the Bulgarians.
10. Why is Cunégonde's brother arrested in Constantinople?
(a) For bathing with the Sultan's page.
(b) For stealing a loaf of bread.
(c) For praying in a mosque.
(d) For preaching Christian doctrine.
11. After Candide witnesses Pangloss being hanged, what happens?
(a) It starts to rain, putting out the fire that was burning Pangloss.
(b) A fellow prisoner rescues Pangloss.
(c) The rope breaks and Pangloss falls.
(d) Pangloss dies.
12. How is the problem of the Baron solved in Chapter 30?
(a) He is turned over to the Bulgarians.
(b) He is sent back to Westphalia.
(c) He is locked in a room.
(d) He is sold back to be a galley slave.
13. What does the old man that Candide, Martin, and Pangloss meet tell them is the secret to his happiness?
(a) Knowing that he will be rewarded in the next life.
(b) Hope for a better life for his children.
(c) Being content with his home and cultivating his farm.
(d) Traveling around the world to see beautiful new lands.
14. Where is the house of the Prince of Transylvania?
(a) In England.
(b) In Constantinople.
(c) On the Sea of Marmora.
(d) In Venice.
15. Who is fighting a war with France?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Candide pay for the release of Pangloss and the Baron?
2. To whom does Candide give the sheep in Bordeaux?
3. How much is the diamond worth that Candide pawns?
4. What does the Baron fear for any children that Candide and Cunégonde might have?
5. What does Candide consider the only thing he has really lost?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)