|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Martin arrested in Paris?
(b) Impersonating a priest.
(d) Accosting a woman.
2. Running away from the scene of the murder, where do Cacambo and Candide stop to rest and eat in Chapter 16?
(a) In a small village.
(b) Across the border into Peru.
(c) Near a small mountain.
(d) In a field near a stream.
3. How many serene highnesses show up at the inn?
4. With what are the children playing in the schoolyard of the village in the mountains?
5. What happens to Cacambo and Candide's horses?
(a) They run away.
(b) They are stolen.
(c) They die of plague.
(d) They die of fatigue.
6. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in Eldorado?
(a) Five days.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) A month.
7. What has happened to Cunegonde by Chapter 29?
(a) She has turned gray haired.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She has become ugly.
(d) She has turned dark from exposure to the sun.
8. When are foreigners given a good reception in Venice, according to Martin?
(a) When they are handsome.
(b) When they are pious.
(c) When they are rich.
(d) When they are virtuous.
9. What do Manichaeans believe?
(a) God has grown blind to the evil of mankind.
(b) God is allowing evil to enjoy the trials of men.
(c) God has forsaken Earth, which is controlled by something evil.
(d) God is ready to destroy the Earth again, this time by fire.
10. What does Cacambo explain to Candide about what happens in Chapter 16?
(a) Monkeys are sacred to the natives here.
(b) Candide has killed the girls' lovers.
(c) The girls were raised by monkeys.
(d) The girls are mutant monkeys.
11. According to Martin, for what purpose is the earth formed?
(a) To give men hope.
(b) To drive men mad.
(c) To achieve men's dreams.
(d) To provide sustenance.
12. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) Two months.
13. Back from the party at the French lady's house, why does Candide feel guilty?
(a) For losing so much money.
(b) For cheating on his Cunegonde.
(c) For giving the lady only one diamond.
(d) For not taking Martin to the party.
14. In Bordeaux, what does Candide do with the red sheep?
(a) He sells their unusual red wool and then eats them.
(b) He barbecues them.
(c) He gives the sheep to the Academy of Sciences to study.
(d) He gives them to the church.
15. How is it proven that Candide is not a Jesuit?
(a) The captors quiz him on his early childhood.
(b) The captors threaten to eat him and see whether Candide prays.
(c) The captors ask him to repeat a Catholic prayer.
(d) The captors take Candide's robe and ask villagers to whom it belonged.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Candide told the individual in Chapter 23 was being executed?
2. After drifting downstream in Chapter 17, how does Candide's and Cacambo's ride end?
3. How does Cunégonde react to Candide and her brother on the banks of Propontis?
4. What happens after Candide stabs Cunégonde's brother?
5. Why does Candide decide not to go to Germany in Chapter 17?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)