|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Candide pay for the release of Pangloss and the Baron?
(a) 200,000 sequins.
(b) 100 sequins.
(c) 20 sequins.
(d) 50,000 sequins.
2. What does Candide do to pass the time while he convalesces?
(a) He writes letters to Cunégonde.
(b) He reads books.
(c) He gambles.
(d) He goes to church.
3. How many sheep are left one hundred days after Candide and Cacambo leave Eldorado?
(c) One hundred.
4. How does Martin propose to prove a happy looking couple in Chapter 24 is not happy at all?
(a) by following them home.
(b) By paying them to tell their stories.
(c) By inviting them to dinner.
(d) By introducing them to some courtiers.
5. When Cacambo accosts Candide before quickly leaving to serve his master, where does he say Cunégonde is?
6. Where is Cunégonde's brother first taken prisoner?
(a) Buenos Aires.
7. Why doesn't Cunégonde know she has become ugly?
(a) She doesn't own a mirror.
(b) She is blind.
(c) She knows, but is in denial.
(d) No one has told her.
8. How many serene highnesses show up at the inn?
9. What does Candide want to experience with a traveling companion?
(d) Good conversation.
10. What does Cacambo tell Candide to do when he finally shows up in Chapter 26?
(a) To give him money for information about Cunegonde.
(b) To wait in his hotel room.
(c) To watch out for the police.
(d) To ready himself to leave Venice.
11. What problem arises between Candide and the Baron in Chapter 30?
(a) The Baron demands a large allowence.
(b) The Baron wants Cunegonde's dowery.
(c) The Baron is still opposed to Candide marrying his sister.
(d) The Baron demands to marry before his sister does.
12. Who could answer Candide's questions about the golden country?
(a) The country's oracle.
(b) The oldest man in the country.
(c) The army general.
(d) The local wizard.
13. What is the Senator's attitude toward his vast book collection in Chapter 25?
(a) The same as his attitude toward his art and music.
(b) Excited to find someone who understands literature.
(c) very proud that he ownes so many books
(d) daunted at having to read so much.
14. Why does Candide decide not to go to Germany in Chapter 17?
(a) To avoid the war between the Bulgarians and the Abares.
(b) To avoid being eaten by the Oreillons.
(c) To avoid being hanged for killing the Grand Inquisitor.
(d) To avoid being burned for killing Cunégonde's brother.
15. Who does Pococurante prefer to Virgil?
(b) The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brother Giroflée tempted to run off and do?
2. What does Candide have that makes him still a rich man in Chapter 20?
3. Why are the guests, with whom Candide and Martin have dinner the night after Cacambo accosts them, in Venice?
4. How many times is the Baron beaten on the soles of his feet for his crime?
5. Who does the local tribe think Candide and Cacambo are?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)