|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Martin's opinion of the people who inhabit France?
(a) He prefers Parisians to other French people.
(b) He likes their food but not the people.
(c) He has a low opinion of them.
(d) He loves French people.
2. How much money does Cacambo give to the Governor of Buenos Aires?
(a) Five million.
(b) Two million.
(d) One million.
3. Why are each of the men at Candide's and Martin's table in Venice?
(a) To take in the carnival.
(b) To find an embezzler.
(c) To visit the Pope.
(d) To select a bride.
4. How does Pangloss wake up after being hanged?
(a) When a surgeon dissecting him begins to cut.
(b) When he is being buried.
(c) When holy water is sprinkled on him.
(d) He never wakes up after being hanged.
5. When Candide and his traveling partner to Bordeaux finally reach the shore in Chapter 21, what country do they see?
6. Why does Candide become more and more unhappy in Chapter 30?
(a) He cannot see the farm as the best of all possible worlds.
(b) He has lost all his fortune and Cunegonde becomes disagreeable.
(c) He hates himself because he cannot look at Cunnegonde.
(d) There are too many people living on his farm and in his house.
7. What does Candide do for the men who he sees who are repeatedly whipped for not rowing well enough?
(a) He pays for their freedom.
(b) He steals them.
(c) He whips them more.
(d) He stabs them in the heart.
8. On which of the following things does Candide not complement Senator Pococurante?
(a) His artwork.
(b) His women.
(c) His poetry.
(d) His music.
9. Why does Candide believe he has an advantage over Martin?
(a) He is more realistic about the future.
(b) He still has reason to be optimistic towards his future because of Cunégonde.
(c) He has more education than Martin.
(d) He doesn't think he has an advantage over Martin.
10. How does Cacambo describe Cunégonde's appearance as she has gotten older?
(a) She is ugly.
(b) She is more beautiful than ever.
(c) She is pretty.
(d) She is plainer than before.
11. What does Candide ask Martin when the shore of France comes into sight from their ship?
(a) If Martin has ever seen France.
(b) If Martin would like to find some French women.
(c) If Martin likes to eat French food.
(d) If Martin will be leaving him in France.
12. What is the old man's door made of?
13. Why does Candide decide not to go to Germany in Chapter 17?
(a) To avoid being eaten by the Oreillons.
(b) To avoid being burned for killing Cunégonde's brother.
(c) To avoid the war between the Bulgarians and the Abares.
(d) To avoid being hanged for killing the Grand Inquisitor.
14. What kind of ship are Candide and Martin passengers on?
(a) A Dutch ship.
(b) A Spanish ship.
(c) A pirate ship.
(d) An Arab ship.
15. How old is Pococurante?
(d) In his early 60s.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is still going on in Germany in Chapter 17?
2. To whom does Candide give the sheep in Bordeaux?
3. After Candide witnesses Pangloss being hanged, what happens?
4. What happens when Candide and Cacambo try to pay for their lunch with the jewels they have found?
5. Why do the people who captured and bound Candide and Cacambo suspect that Candide is a Jesuit?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)