|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of ship are Candide and Martin passengers on?
(a) An Arab ship.
(b) A pirate ship.
(c) A Spanish ship.
(d) A Dutch ship.
2. Why are the guests, with whom Candide and Martin have dinner the night after Cacambo accosts them, in Venice?
(a) For the wedding of one of their children.
(b) To get revenge.
(c) To experience Carnival.
(d) To reunite with old friends.
3. Where does Candide learn Cunégonde is?
4. As he is coming back from a party, what does Candide tell the abbé?
(a) He has fallen in love with a young woman.
(b) He feels guilty for cheating on his Cunégonde.
(c) He is sad that he has lost money playing cards.
(d) He feels guilty for drinking too much wine.
5. Candide and Martin are walking to dinner one night. What does Cacambo accosts Candide to tell him?
(a) To make plans to go to Bordeaux.
(b) That Cunégonde is dead.
(c) To ready himself to leave Venice.
(d) That he has captured Cunégonde.
6. Why is Candide curious about the country with gold streets?
(a) Because he has always heard about it.
(b) because it is not on any maps.
(c) Because he wants to become wealthy.
(d) Because it is so much better than Westphalia.
7. What is the custom in Eldorado when someone meets the king?
(a) Cover one's face so the king cannot see you.
(b) Bow down to show respect for the king.
(c) Prostrate oneself flat on the ground.
(d) Embrace the king and kiss both his cheeks.
8. What has happened to Cunegonde by Chapter 29?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She has turned gray haired.
(c) She has turned dark from exposure to the sun.
(d) She has become ugly.
9. What game are the children in the village playing?
10. What is Brother Giroflée tempted to run off and do?
(a) Become an Inquisitor.
(b) Become a philosopher.
(c) Marry Paquette.
(d) Become a Turk.
11. Candide and his new traveling companion, Martin, leave on a ship bound for where in Chapter 20?
12. Who could answer Candide's questions about the golden country?
(a) The army general.
(b) The local wizard.
(c) The country's oracle.
(d) The oldest man in the country.
13. Who relieved Cacambo of all his wealth after he buys back Cunegonde?
(a) A bad judge.
(b) A ship's captain.
(c) A pirate.
(d) A military captain.
14. Who does the local tribe think Candide and Cacambo are?
(d) Spanish soldiers.
15. Which group of people captures Candide and Cacambo, binds them, and threatens to eat them?
(a) The Inquisitors.
(b) The Bulgarians.
(c) The Jesuits.
(d) The Oreillons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martin say is in Paris?
2. What do Manichaeans believe?
3. How could the apartment of the old man in Chapter 18 be described?
4. How much did Cacambo give to the Governor of Buenos Aires to buy Cunégonde?
5. How do Candide and Martin find Senator Pococurante's character?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)