|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is Candide fined by the judge?
(a) 10,000 piasters.
(b) 20,000 piasters.
(c) 50,000 piasters.
(d) 100,000 piasters.
2. Where do Candide, Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, and the Baron find Cunegonde and the old woman?
(a) On the banks of Propontis.
(b) On a slave block.
(c) In a laundry.
(d) In a kitchen.
3. The land of Eldorado is the ancient kingdom of whom?
(a) The Egyptians.
(b) The Cherokee.
(c) The Mayans.
(d) The Incans.
4. Falling ill in Paris, why does Candide get a lot of medical attention?
(a) Because he is from Westphalia.
(b) Because he has a rare disease.
(c) Because he is rich.
(d) Because he is handsome.
5. What happens when Candide and Martin are discussing philosophy?
(a) They see the captain of their ship fall overboard.
(b) They see a ship attacked by pirates.
(c) They see a seaman lift a young boy to see over the edge of the ship.
(d) They see a young maiden cry for help as a man attacks her.
6. What does Candide ask Martin when the shore of France comes into sight from their ship?
(a) If Martin would like to find some French women.
(b) If Martin has ever seen France.
(c) If Martin will be leaving him in France.
(d) If Martin likes to eat French food.
7. What does Martin claim to be?
(a) A Muslim.
(b) An Epicurean.
(c) An Aristotlean.
(d) A Manichean.
8. At the end of the novel, what is the only thing that Candide decide is necessary for happiness?
(a) Remaining virtuous.
(b) Tending his garden.
(c) Finding a true love.
(d) Having money.
9. Why must Cacambo go to Buenos Aires?
(a) To sink the Spanish ship.
(b) To offer to buy Cunegonde.
(c) To kill the governor.
(d) To find the old woman.
10. What do Candide and Martin see swimming in the water and rescue?
(d) Candide's sheep.
11. What is Cunegonde unaware of, regarding Cunegonde in Chapter 29?
(a) That one of the men is her brother.
(b) That Candide has bought her.
(c) That Candide has been looking for her.
(d) that she has turned ugly.
12. After drifting downstream in Chapter 17, how does Candide's and Cacambo's ride end?
(a) Their canoe runs aground and is ruined on the reefs.
(b) The are captured by jungle natives.
(c) They come to a small village.
(d) The canoe falls apart and they swim to shore.
13. What had happened to the young Baron after he recovered from the stab wound?
(a) He was captured at sea.
(b) He was tossed out of the Jesuits.
(c) He was taken prisoner in Buenos Aires.
(d) He was taken prisoner in Eldorado.
14. What do Cunégonde's arms look like?
(a) They look pale and virginal.
(b) They are tanned from the sun.
(c) They are covered with scars from getting whipped.
(d) They are red and scaly.
15. What kind of ship are Candide and Martin passengers on?
(a) A pirate ship.
(b) A Dutch ship.
(c) A Spanish ship.
(d) An Arab ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Martin arrested in Paris?
2. Who does Brother Giroflée wish was at the bottom of the sea?
3. What does Candide wonder about because of Cacambo's impoverished condition?
4. Where is the ship that Candide eventually gets on headed?
5. Who could answer Candide's questions about the golden country?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)