|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Candide finally get out of the country in Chapter 19?
(a) On a German ship bound for England.
(b) On an Italian ship bound for Milan.
(c) On a Russian ship bound for Africa.
(d) On a French ship leaving for Bordeaux.
2. Who is known as the best philosopher in the area?
(b) A local dervish.
3. How long do Candide and Cacambo stay in the palace?
(a) Two months.
(b) One year.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) One month.
4. What does Cunegonde remind Candide about in Chapter 29?
(a) What they did behind the screen.
(b) his promise to marry her.
(c) where she hid her diamonds.
(d) How he left her in Buenos aires.
5. Which of the following is not a reason that Candide kills the two monkeys who are chasing the girls?
(a) To absolve the murder of The Grand Inquisitor.
(b) To protect the women.
(c) To absolve the murder of Mr. Issachar.
(d) To absolve the murder of Cunégonde's brother.
6. In Chapter 30, why does Pangloss feel unfulfilled?
(a) He has lost his intelligence and cannot hold a conversation.
(b) He does not hold a position where he could expand and teach his philosophies.
(c) He is tired of working so hard.
(d) He is going deaf.
7. With what are the children playing in the schoolyard of the village in the mountains?
8. Who is the captain of the sunken ship?
(b) The Governor of Buenos Aires.
(c) The Dutch captain who swindled Candide.
(d) A Jesuit.
9. In Chapter 19, where does Candide plan to go to wait for Cacambo and Cunegonde?
10. Pococurante says that his collections of sonnets aren't worth one page of who?
11. What does Candide ask Martin when the shore of France comes into sight from their ship?
(a) If Martin likes to eat French food.
(b) If Martin has ever seen France.
(c) If Martin will be leaving him in France.
(d) If Martin would like to find some French women.
12. What are Cunégonde and the old woman doing when Candide first sees them again?
(c) Hanging towels to dry.
13. In Bordeaux, what does Candide do with the red sheep?
(a) He gives them to the church.
(b) He gives the sheep to the Academy of Sciences to study.
(c) He sells their unusual red wool and then eats them.
(d) He barbecues them.
14. What is the fate of the Baron, Cunégonde's brother?
(a) He is thrown into the sea.
(b) He is stabbed through the neck.
(c) He is sold back to the captain of the ship to work in the galleys.
(d) He lives happily with Candide and Cunégonde.
15. Who once owned the kingdom of Eldorado?
(a) The Incas.
(b) The Aztecs.
(c) The Turks.
(d) The Dutch.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cacambo describe Cunégonde's appearance as she has gotten older?
2. What does Martin suggest Cacambo has done after they don't hear from him for while in Venice?
3. Who discovers that Pangloss was still alive after the auto-da-fé?
4. Where is Cunégonde's brother first taken prisoner?
5. What does Cacambo tell the tribe to take to prove who they really are?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)