|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Candide and Martin end up after Paris?
(b) Portsmouth, England.
(d) Madrid, Spain.
2. How many times is the Baron beaten on the soles of his feet for his crime?
(a) 50 times.
(b) 100 times.
(c) 1,000 times.
(d) 16 times.
3. According to Martin, for what purpose is the earth formed?
(a) To give men hope.
(b) To drive men mad.
(c) To achieve men's dreams.
(d) To provide sustenance.
4. What strange sight do Cacambo and Candide witness running across the field in Chapter 16?
(a) naked soldiers sword fighting with two monkeys.
(b) two naked girls chased by monkeys biting at their buttocks.
(c) two girls having their clothes ripped off by monkeys.
(d) Two naked girls pulling monkeys' tails.
5. How does Candide react when Cunégonde reminds him of his promise to marry her?
(a) He enthusiastically proposes.
(b) He says she is too old to marry.
(c) He agrees to marry even though he doesn't want to anymore.
(d) He says that he is too sick to marry.
6. What do Candide and Cacambo see when they rest in a field to eat during Chapter 16?
(a) Five men roasting a body in a cauldron.
(b) Two monkeys chasing two naked girls through the field.
(c) A parrot eating some berries and talking.
(d) A mouse who has build a tiny house.
7. What happens to two slaves on the ship going to Constantinople?
(a) They are fed only bread and water.
(b) They are repeatedly whipped.
(c) They are thrown overboard.
(d) They are forced to row all night.
8. How do Candide and Martin find Senator Pococurante's character?
(a) Neither kind nor cruel.
(b) Overbearing and anxious.
(c) Very fat and ill.
(d) Very kind and generous.
9. What has happened to Cunegonde by Chapter 29?
(a) She has become ugly.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She has turned dark from exposure to the sun.
(d) She has turned gray haired.
10. What do all the characters at the farm end up deciding to do at the end of the book?
(a) Kill Candide.
(b) Celebrate Cunégonde's baby.
(c) Go their separate ways.
(d) Work the farm.
11. What is it that Candide does not have in Chapter 21?
(a) Enough money to stay over in France.
(b) Any knowledge of the French language.
(c) Any interest in seeing France.
(d) Clothes suitable for visiting France.
12. What does Candide want to experience with a traveling companion?
(c) Good conversation.
13. What skill does Paquette develop?
(a) Doing embroidery.
(d) Writing poems.
14. After Candide buys back Cunegonde and the old woman, where do they all go to live?
(a) The castle in Westphalia.
(b) On a farm Candide buys.
(c) In Paris.
(d) In a villa on the South of France.
15. What language do the people in the village speak?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the two slaves on the ship to Contantinople turn out to be?
2. Pococurante says that his collections of sonnets aren't worth one page of who?
3. What do all of the foreigners that Candide dines with have in common?
4. What does Pangloss say it isn't proper for a philosopher to do?
5. What happens when Candide first arrives in Paris?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)