|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the man in black an officer for?
(a) The Navy.
(b) The King of France.
(c) The Bulgar Army.
(d) The Inquisition.
2. In Chapter 7, who rescues and takes care of Candide?
(a) An old man.
(b) The Baron's son.
(c) Dr. Pangloss.
(d) An old woman.
3. The old woman and her mother were brought to Morocco for what purpose?
(a) To be married.
(b) To be killed.
(c) To be educated.
(d) To be slaves.
4. Which of the following is something Candide does not experience in Chapter 5?
(a) Being stoned.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) Witnessing death.
(d) A storm.
5. Where does the sergeant say the Reverend Father Provincial has gone?
(a) To his mother's home.
(b) To Buenos Aires.
(c) To the parade ground.
(d) To visit his lover.
6. In Chapter 4, where does the Anabaptist take Candide and Pangloss?
7. To whom does the captain sell Cunégonde?
(a) The Grand Inquisitor.
(b) Mr. Issachar.
(c) Mr. Cadiz.
8. How much of Lisbon is destroyed by the earthquake?
(a) Three quarters of it.
(b) Half of it.
(c) One quarter of it.
(d) All of it.
9. When does the old woman share her name with Candide?
(a) After he wakes up.
(b) When she first meets him.
(c) After she feeds him for three days.
10. Where does the Princess of Palestrina collapse after she escapes from the Moors?
(a) Under an orange tree.
(b) In a barn.
(c) On the Emperor's bed.
(d) In a river.
11. To what lot was the old woman born?
(a) She was born a slave.
(b) She was born a princess.
(c) She was born a maid.
(d) She was born a baroness.
12. What happens in the evening of the third day after Candide is rescued?
(a) The soldiers give up looking for him.
(b) The old man hits him in the head and ties him up.
(c) The old woman does not return with his supper.
(d) The old woman returns and asks that he follow her.
13. In the old woman's story about her past, what indignity did the old woman and her mother suffer after the ship was seized?
(a) They were taken to Spain and sold as slaves.
(b) They were raped and thrown overboard.
(c) The were stripped naked and given rectal exams.
(d) They were made to work as sailors.
14. What is Candide given after his rescue in Chapter 7?
(a) A serious lecture about false teaching.
(b) A job as a dishwasher at an inn.
(c) Ointment, food and drink, clothes, and a bed.
(d) Another flogging.
15. In Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff, who offers Candide food and drink?
(a) Dr. Pangloss.
(b) Two men.
(c) A charwoman.
(d) A priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the beggar say is the reason for his affliction?
2. To whom does Candide give the two coins someone gave him in Chapter 3?
3. How many people are being punished in the auto-da-fé?
4. Where does Cunégonde see Candide for the first time after their separation?
5. Why does the captain kill the Bulgarian who is attacking Cunégonde?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)