|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following weapons is not used by the Bulgarians during their battles?
2. What does Cunegonde talk about on the way to Buenos Aires?
(a) Her hardships.
(b) Her fortune.
(c) The future.
(d) Her luck.
3. Whose murder did Cunégonde's brother witness?
(a) His brother's.
(b) His parents'.
(c) His sister's.
(d) His uncle's.
4. Who is the last person for whom the old woman worked?
(a) Mr. Issachar.
(b) The Prince of Palestrina.
(c) The Grand Inquisitor.
(d) A man in Moscow.
5. When Pangloss and Candide walk around in Lisbon, what catastrophe strikes?
(a) A hail storm.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) An invasion.
(d) An outbreak of the plague.
6. Who does the old woman say her parents were?
(a) Pope Urban X and the Princess of Palestrina.
(b) Tsar Nicholas I and an English duchess.
(c) Baron Rothschild and the Princess of Monrovia.
(d) Archduke Ferdinand and his scullery maid.
7. Who is Cacambo?
(a) The man Candide was given to act as his assistant.
(b) The governor's son.
(c) Candide's best friend from childhood.
(d) The slave of the governor.
8. Where does Cunégonde's brother reside in Chapter 15?
9. Fleeing the Spanish who are looking for the murderer of the Grand Inquisitor, where do Candide and Cacambo head in Chapter 14?
10. How long does it take Candide's wounds to heal?
(a) A year.
(b) Six months.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) A month.
11. How many times does Candide make it through the gauntlet?
12. How does Jacques act on the ship?
(a) He helps the crew.
(b) He reads the whole time.
(c) He tries to get the sailors lost.
(d) He sulks.
13. Why does Cunégonde decide to stay with the governor?
(a) Because he is rich.
(b) Because he is young.
(c) Because he is strong.
(d) Because he is attractive.
14. When does the old woman share her name with Candide?
(b) When she first meets him.
(c) After he wakes up.
(d) After she feeds him for three days.
15. What is the result of Candide and Cunegonde getting caught behind the screen in Chapter 1?
(a) Dr. Pangloss is fired.
(b) Candide and Cunegonde run away together.
(c) Cunegonde is forced to marry Candide.
(d) Candide is kicked out of the castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Candide a chance to escape the Bulgarians?
2. Who arranged the auto-da-fé, which results in the hanging of Pangloss?
3. In Chapter 4, where does the Anabaptist take Candide and Pangloss?
4. What does Candide's tutor teach the children?
5. Which of the following characters does not live with the Baron?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)