|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Cunégonde tell Candide has not survived the attack on the castle?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her brother.
(d) All answers are correct.
2. How does Candide escape?
(a) Dressed as a chambermaid.
(b) On a boat.
(c) Hidden in a horse-drawn cart.
(d) On an Andalusian horse.
3. What does the Governor have a "furious lust" for?
4. Who does Pangloss ultimately blame for his current condition?
(a) The Baron.
(b) Christopher Columbus.
5. What happens at the inn where Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman are staying in Chapter 10?
(a) Someone steals Cunegonde's diamonds and money.
(b) Cunegonde is raped again.
(c) Someone kidnaps Cunegonde.
(d) The police come looking for Candide.
6. How is the Princess of Palestrina's betrothed killed?
(a) He is burned in an auto-do-fé.
(b) He is stabbed.
(c) He is drowned.
(d) He is poisoned.
7. What happens the morning after Candide's rescue?
(a) The old woman sells him as a galley slave.
(b) The old woman returns and brings him breakfast and another ointment.
(c) He runs away again, headed for Spain.
(d) Lisbon soldiers come looking for him.
8. Where does the old woman suggest Candide and Cunegonde go in Chapter 9?
9. Who does the beggar tell Candide he is?
(a) The Baron.
(b) A Bulgarian.
(c) A prince.
10. Who does Cunégonde see Pangloss with in the bushes?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) The chambermaid.
11. What does Jacques do when Candide asks him for charity?
(a) Jacques turns Candide over to the Bulgarians.
(b) Jacques tells him to go away.
(c) Jacques offers him food, coins, a place to stay, and a job.
(d) Jacques tries to kill Candide.
12. What is the solution which is developed to prevent further earthquakes?
(a) Building away from fault lines.
(b) The placement of secure structures where the earthquake struck.
(c) A ceremony in which people are burned to death.
(d) The sacrifice of twenty virgins.
13. Which of the following characters does not live with the Baron?
(a) His wife.
(b) His sister.
14. For whose side does Cacambo encourage Candide to fight?
(a) The Bulgarians.
(b) The Jesuits.
(c) The Spaniards.
(d) The Portuguese.
15. What town do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman reach before anyone realizes Mr. Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor are dead?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Commandant forbid?
2. Who survives the shipwreck?
3. What is Candide forced to do after the murder of Issachar is discovered?
4. In the war when thousands of men are killed, what does it cause Candide to do?
5. What happens when the old woman, Candide, and Cunégonde stop at the inn?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)