|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Cunegonde tell Candide had happened to her?
(a) She hid in the castle cellar and escaped.
(b) She fainted, and when she woke up everyone was dead.
(c) She was stabbed and raped.
(d) She was protected by a Bulgarian captain.
2. Where does Candide go, leaving Cunegonde with the governor of Buenos Aires?
(a) to inspect his infantry.
(b) To buy a house.
(c) To shop for new clothes.
(d) To call on the police.
3. To whom does Candide give the two coins someone gave him in Chapter 3?
(a) A beggar.
(b) A soldier with one leg.
(c) A hungry child.
(d) A fruit vender.
4. What happened to Cunegonde after she was taken prisoner by the captain?
(a) The Bulgarian sends her away.
(b) The Bulgarian is killed and she escapes.
(c) The Bulgarian sells her to a Jewish man.
(d) The Bulgarian marries her.
5. When did the man who found the old woman and spoke her language first meet her?
(a) Before she was six.
(b) After her father died.
(c) When she was eighteen.
(d) Under the orange tree.
6. What is the country to which Candide walks after leaving Bulgaria?
7. Who heals Cunégonde's brother after he is left for dead at the castle?
(a) A Jesuit.
(b) A Bulgarian.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A Spaniard.
8. What does the Commandant forbid?
(a) The Spaniards to speak.
(b) Writing in Portuguese.
(c) Eating on Mondays.
(d) Riding horses.
9. What happens when Candide hears that Cunegonde is dead?
(a) He faints.
(b) He cries.
(c) He curses.
(d) He argues.
10. What does Candide wear during his escape?
(a) An Oreillon costume.
(b) Women's clothes.
(c) A suit of armor.
(d) A Jesuit robe.
11. How does Jacques die?
(a) He contracts syphilis.
(b) He is poisoned.
(c) He is stabbed.
(d) He drowns.
12. Where is the castle where Candide is raised?
(a) South America.
13. What happens to Candide immediately after he leaves the castle?
(a) He wanders around and falls asleep in the snow.
(b) He is beat up by some Bulgarians.
(c) He finds a beautiful bride.
(d) He is taken in by his long lost aunt.
14. On the ship leaving Cadiz in Chapter 10, where are Candide and company headed?
(d) Buenos Aires.
15. Who is on the arriving Spanish ship in Chapter 13?
(a) The Grand Inquisitor's brother.
(b) The young castrati who sold the old woman.
(c) the monk who stole Cunegonde's money and diamonds.
(d) A Bulgarian captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the war when thousands of men are killed, what does it cause Candide to do?
2. What happens to the main who arrives on the ship that pulls into the harbor while Cunégonde and the governor are speaking?
3. Fleeing the Spanish who are looking for the murderer of the Grand Inquisitor, where do Candide and Cacambo head in Chapter 14?
4. How does Candide escape?
5. How do the survivors in Lisbon wet their bread?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)