|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Cunegonde's brother learn Cunegonde is in Chapter 15?
(a) In prison awaiting her return to Lisbon.
(b) Hundreds of miles away in Brazil.
(c) On a ship headed back to Spain.
(d) The city which they mean to attack.
2. Where is the castle where Candide is raised?
(b) South America.
3. Who does Pangloss ultimately blame for his current condition?
(b) The Baron.
(c) Christopher Columbus.
4. What does the Governor order Candide to do in order to get rid of him?
(a) Make him dinner.
(b) Buy a horse.
(c) Go back to Europe.
(d) Inspect the troops.
5. Where does Candide take the beggar to feed him?
(a) The Bulgarians' house.
(b) The bar.
(c) His apartment.
(d) Jacques's stable.
6. Which of the following characters does not live with the Baron?
(a) His sister.
(b) His wife.
7. What did the young man from the old woman's recollection in Chapter 12 promise the captive princess?
(a) He would find an Italian nobleman to rescue her
(b) He would see her safely back to Italy.
(c) He would help her get away to Cairo.
(d) He would keep her hidden in his house in Morocco.
8. What happens when Candide discovers that Cunegonde is the young girl under the veil?
(a) They both faint.
(b) The old woman faints.
(c) Cunegonde faints.
(d) Candide faints.
9. What is Cunégonde wearing when she meets Candide again?
(b) Heavy blankets.
(c) A suit of armor.
(d) A san benito.
10. In Chapter 2, after running away, Candide is caught and given what choice?
(a) Carrying baggage for the regiment or wearing a dress.
(b) Returning to the army or being torn apart by a bear.
(c) Death by hanging or 10 lashes every day for a year.
(d) Twelve bullets to the brain or 36 lashes by the regiment.
11. Who is on the ship that has been spotted in the Buenos Aires harbor?
(a) The Pope.
(b) Candide's mother.
(c) A magistrate and police officers.
(d) The Grand Inquisitor.
12. What does Jacques do when Candide asks him for charity?
(a) Jacques tells him to go away.
(b) Jacques offers him food, coins, a place to stay, and a job.
(c) Jacques tries to kill Candide.
(d) Jacques turns Candide over to the Bulgarians.
13. In Chapter 4, where does the Anabaptist take Candide and Pangloss?
14. What happens to Candide and Pangloss in the auto-da-fe?
(a) Candide and Pangloss are exiled.
(b) Candide is flogged, and Pangloss is hanged.
(c) Candide is sold, but Pangloss is flogged.
(d) Candide is freed, but Pangloss is burned.
15. Who discovers Cunegonde and Candide behind the screen attempting Dr. Pangloss' experiment?
(b) Dr. Pangloss.
(c) The Baron's son.
(d) The Baron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Candide gives away his coins in Chapter 4?
2. Who does the old woman say her parents were?
3. Why does Cunégonde's brother not approve of Candide's plan to marry his sister?
4. Who do Candide and Cacambo plan to join?
5. What does the old woman reveal about her past in Chapter 10?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)