|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the old woman not marry the person to whom she was engaged?
(a) He rejected her.
(b) He died of syphilis.
(c) He ran off with his mistress.
(d) He was poisoned.
2. What characteristic do Jacques and Candide share?
3. In the old woman's story about her past, what indignity did the old woman and her mother suffer after the ship was seized?
(a) They were raped and thrown overboard.
(b) The were stripped naked and given rectal exams.
(c) They were taken to Spain and sold as slaves.
(d) They were made to work as sailors.
4. In Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff, who offers Candide food and drink?
(a) Dr. Pangloss.
(b) A priest.
(c) A charwoman.
(d) Two men.
5. Why is Candide allowed to speak to the Commandant of the Jesuit military?
(a) He is wearing a captain's uniform.
(b) He is German and not Spanish.
(c) He looks familiar to the Commandant.
(d) He is also a Jesuit.
6. How does Jacques act on the ship?
(a) He tries to get the sailors lost.
(b) He reads the whole time.
(c) He helps the crew.
(d) He sulks.
7. What is the result of Candide and Cunegonde getting caught behind the screen in Chapter 1?
(a) Candide is kicked out of the castle.
(b) Candide and Cunegonde run away together.
(c) Cunegonde is forced to marry Candide.
(d) Dr. Pangloss is fired.
8. When Cunégonde's brother's troops attack the village in which Cunégonde lives, what is his intention?
(a) To persuade Cunégonde to kill the governor.
(b) To kill Cunégonde.
(c) To rob Cunégonde.
(d) To capture Cunégonde.
9. When the old woman and her mother were in route to Gaeta, what did the soldiers aboard the ship do when they were attacked by pirates?
(a) Jumped to their deaths.
(b) Hid behind the women.
(d) Killed the pirates.
10. What condition does Cunégonde place on sharing the story of the Bulgarian attack with Candide?
(a) She says he must marry her.
(b) She says he must kiss her.
(c) She says he must tell her his story first.
(d) She says he must pay her.
11. What had happened to a young man in Italy whom the old woman had met?
(a) He had run away at the age of 18.
(b) He had taken care of her until she was six.
(c) He had been castrated to preserve his beautiful voice.
(d) He had been beaten daily.
12. What position does the Baron attain in the Jesuit military?
13. Where is the man who finds the Princess born?
14. What happens to Candide and Pangloss in the auto-da-fe?
(a) Candide and Pangloss are exiled.
(b) Candide is freed, but Pangloss is burned.
(c) Candide is sold, but Pangloss is flogged.
(d) Candide is flogged, and Pangloss is hanged.
15. How does Candide get in trouble with the Bulgarians?
(a) He kisses one of their wives.
(b) He fails to learn how to fight.
(c) He writes a letter to Cunégonde.
(d) He goes for a walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is something Candide does not experience in Chapter 5?
2. What happens when Candide hears that Cunegonde is dead?
3. Why is Candide put in charge of the Cadiz soldiers?
4. When Cunegonde was taken prisoner by the captain, what did she become?
5. Why does Candide kill the Grand Inquisitor?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)