|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Biscayan arrested in Chapter 6?
(a) For selling bacon.
(b) For spouting philosophy.
(c) For getting the maid pregnant.
(d) For marrying his godmother.
2. To where do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman flee?
3. Why are Candide and Pangloss arrested in Portugal?
(a) For drowning Jacques.
(b) For killing a Bulgarian.
(c) For spouting philosophy.
(d) For throwing away bacon.
4. How do the survivors in Lisbon wet their bread?
(a) With milk.
(b) With wine.
(c) With their blood.
(d) With their tears.
5. What happens in Lima, Peru?
(a) There has been an earthquake there.
(b) Cunégonde has been found there.
(c) There is a fire.
(d) There is a revolution.
6. When Pangloss and Candide walk around in Lisbon, what catastrophe strikes?
(a) An outbreak of the plague.
(b) An invasion.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A hail storm.
7. How does Jacques act on the ship?
(a) He helps the crew.
(b) He sulks.
(c) He tries to get the sailors lost.
(d) He reads the whole time.
8. Who noticed Cunegonde at church?
(a) The altar boys.
(b) The parish priest.
(c) The Grand Inquisitor.
(d) The mayor.
9. What does Cunegonde talk about on the way to Buenos Aires?
(a) Her fortune.
(b) Her luck.
(c) The future.
(d) Her hardships.
10. How many people are being punished in the auto-da-fé?
11. How much does the Baroness weigh?
(a) 150 pounds.
(b) 90 pounds.
(c) 350 pounds.
(d) 100 pounds.
12. What natural event destroys the city of Lisbon?
(a) A tornado.
(b) A volcano.
(c) A tidal wave.
(d) An earthquake.
13. What is the first village to which Candide goes immediately after he escapes from the Bulgarians?
14. Whose health do the soldiers make Candide drink to?
(a) The Baron.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The King of the Bulgars.
(d) The King of the Avars.
15. What does Candide see in the villages that the Bulgarians and their enemies have raided?
(a) He sees that women have been spared by the Bulgarians.
(b) He sees dead bodies in villages only raided by the Bulgarians.
(c) He sees surgeons rescuing the attacked from dying.
(d) He sees dead and dying bodies in the villages raided by both sides.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Candide kill Don Issachar?
2. Which of the following does the old woman not provide to Candide while he is staying in her shack?
3. What choice is Candide given for his punishment by the Bulgarians?
4. On the ship leaving Cadiz in Chapter 10, where are Candide and company headed?
5. How much of Lisbon is destroyed by the earthquake?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)