|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Candide forced to do after the murder of Issachar is discovered?
(a) Kill the cook.
(b) Kill the Grand Inquisitor.
(c) Kill the old woman.
(d) Kill the stable boy.
2. How is the Princess of Palestrina's betrothed killed?
(a) He is poisoned.
(b) He is stabbed.
(c) He is burned in an auto-do-fé.
(d) He is drowned.
3. After seeing the Bulgarian destruction in Avare, what does Candide see next?
(a) Cunegonde walking down the road.
(b) Pangloss teaching Bulgarina soldiers.
(c) The moon rise over the Abarian mountains.
(d) The Abarian destruction of a Bulgarian village.
4. What natural event destroys the city of Lisbon?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A tornado.
(c) A tidal wave.
(d) A volcano.
5. Who does the old lady pray to for Candide's health?
(a) Saint James of Compostella.
(b) Saint Anthony of Padua.
(c) Our Lady of Atocha.
(d) All answers are correct.
6. What happens after Candide gives away his coins in Chapter 4?
(a) The soldier curses him.
(b) The beggar gives him a hug.
(c) The hungry child kicks him.
(d) The fruit vender cheats him.
7. Which of the following weapons is not used by the Bulgarians during their battles?
8. How many priests has Candide killed?
9. When Pangloss and Candide walk around in Lisbon, what catastrophe strikes?
(a) An invasion.
(b) An outbreak of the plague.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A hail storm.
10. What happened the man who found the old woman and spoke her language when he was a child?
(a) He was castrated.
(b) He was taught to fight.
(c) He was beaten.
(d) He was taught English.
11. What did the Janizaries do to the old woman when she was young and had been captured by them?
(a) They made her the camp prostitute.
(b) They cut off and ate one of her buttocks.
(c) They beat her every day and made her carry water.
(d) They made her eat pig food.
12. How is Pangloss punished by the auto-da-fé?
(a) He is flogged.
(b) He is burned.
(c) He is hung.
(d) He is drawn and quartered.
13. Whose health do the soldiers make Candide drink to?
(a) The Baron.
(b) The King of the Bulgars.
(c) The King of the Avars.
(d) The Pope.
14. What does Candide see in the villages that the Bulgarians and their enemies have raided?
(a) He sees surgeons rescuing the attacked from dying.
(b) He sees dead bodies in villages only raided by the Bulgarians.
(c) He sees dead and dying bodies in the villages raided by both sides.
(d) He sees that women have been spared by the Bulgarians.
15. What do the Janissaries eat when they are under attack?
(a) Two eunuchs and two buttocks.
(b) Two slaves.
(c) Bread and cheese.
(d) Eggs and bacon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man who finds the Princess born?
2. Why does Cunégonde decide to stay with the governor?
3. Where does Cacambo once work as a servant?
4. Who offers Candide food, two coins, a place to stay, and a job in Chapter 3?
5. What is the topic of the sermon that Candide hears the man give?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)