|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jacques die?
(a) He is poisoned.
(b) He contracts syphilis.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He is stabbed.
2. How do the Janizaries try to stave off their hunger?
(a) By eating the eunuchs.
(b) By stealing food.
(c) By eating sticks.
(d) By killing squirrels.
3. What happens to the Bicayan and the two Portuguese in the auto-da-fe that follows in Chapter 6?
(a) They are flogged.
(b) They are hanged.
(c) They are burned.
(d) They are beheaded.
4. Where has the sailor been four times?
5. Where do Candide and Cacambo go after leaving the governor's place?
(c) Buenos Aires.
6. Why is Candide beaten by the Bulgarians?
(a) So he can learn to be a soldier.
(b) So he will learn the Bulgarian dances.
(c) So he won't divulge their secrets.
(d) So he won't run away again.
7. Where does the sergeant say the Reverend Father Provincial has gone?
(a) To the parade ground.
(b) To his mother's home.
(c) To visit his lover.
(d) To Buenos Aires.
8. Who saves Candide from being killed by the Bulgarians?
(a) The two men he met in the Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff.
(c) The Baron of Thunder-ten-tronckh.
(d) The King of the Bulgarians.
9. When Cunégonde's brother's troops attack the village in which Cunégonde lives, what is his intention?
(a) To rob Cunégonde.
(b) To kill Cunégonde.
(c) To capture Cunégonde.
(d) To persuade Cunégonde to kill the governor.
10. Why is the Biscayan arrested in Chapter 6?
(a) For marrying his godmother.
(b) For spouting philosophy.
(c) For selling bacon.
(d) For getting the maid pregnant.
11. How is Pangloss punished by the auto-da-fé?
(a) He is drawn and quartered.
(b) He is burned.
(c) He is flogged.
(d) He is hung.
12. What did the Janizaries do to the old woman when she was young and had been captured by them?
(a) They cut off and ate one of her buttocks.
(b) They beat her every day and made her carry water.
(c) They made her eat pig food.
(d) They made her the camp prostitute.
13. Where is the man who finds the Princess born?
14. Why does Cacambo believe that Candide will be welcomed by the priests?
(a) Because he is wealthy.
(b) Because he is so pious.
(c) Because he can sing many hymns.
(d) Because he knows Bulgar military drills.
15. What happens to Candide immediately after he leaves the castle?
(a) He is taken in by his long lost aunt.
(b) He is beat up by some Bulgarians.
(c) He wanders around and falls asleep in the snow.
(d) He finds a beautiful bride.
Short Answer Questions
1. The old woman and her mother were brought to Morocco for what purpose?
2. How are Candide and Pangloss paid for helping restore the city in Chapter 5?
3. Who returns to the house to find Mr. Issachar dead?
4. Why does the old lady say she is being kind to Candide?
5. In Chapter 4, where does the Anabaptist take Candide and Pangloss?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)