|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is on the ship that has been spotted in the Buenos Aires harbor?
(a) Candide's mother.
(b) The Grand Inquisitor.
(c) A magistrate and police officers.
(d) The Pope.
2. Where do Candide and Cacambo go after leaving the governor's place?
(a) Buenos Aires.
3. Why is Candide put in charge of the Cadiz soldiers?
(a) Because the leader always gets killed.
(b) Because of his Bulgarian military training.
(c) Because he is taller than the soldiers.
(d) Because they are holding Cunegonde hostage.
4. Which of the following does Pangloss say to a survivor of the natural disaster in Lisbon?
(a) Everything happens for a reason.
(b) Good things come to those who wait.
(c) Happiness is what you make of it.
(d) Life is a blessing.
5. What does Cunégonde say happened to her when the Bulgarians attacked?
(a) She says that mercifully nothing happened to her.
(b) She says she was given food and shelter.
(c) She says she was forced to watch her mother's rape.
(d) She says she was raped and cut open.
6. What is Cunégonde wearing when she meets Candide again?
(a) A san benito.
(c) A suit of armor.
(d) Heavy blankets.
7. What faith is Jacques?
8. How much money does Jacques give Candide?
(a) 50 florins.
(b) 100 florins.
(c) Two florins.
(d) Twenty florins.
9. Who is the man in black an officer for?
(a) The King of France.
(b) The Inquisition.
(c) The Navy.
(d) The Bulgar Army.
10. How is Candide punished as a prisoner in Lisbon?
(a) He is flogged.
(b) He is put on a rack.
(c) He is hung by his arms.
(d) He is hung by his feet.
11. How many times is Candide beaten on his first day of military service?
12. Who is the Commandant?
(a) The old woman's son.
(b) Candide's father.
(c) Cacambo's uncle.
(d) Cunégonde's brother.
13. What happens to the Anabaptist in Chapter 5?
(a) His throat is cut.
(b) He dies of the plague.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He is sold as a slave.
14. What happens in Lima, Peru?
(a) There is a fire.
(b) There has been an earthquake there.
(c) Cunégonde has been found there.
(d) There is a revolution.
15. What do the Janissaries eat when they are under attack?
(a) Bread and cheese.
(b) Two eunuchs and two buttocks.
(c) Two slaves.
(d) Eggs and bacon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural event destroys the city of Lisbon?
2. Who does the Bulgar captain sell Cunégonde to?
3. What does Candide do after the Baron hits him with his sword?
4. In the war when thousands of men are killed, what does it cause Candide to do?
5. What weather condition happens during the Anabaptists, Candide, and Pangloss' travel in Chapter 5?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)