|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the man's occupation?
(a) He was a shoemaker.
(b) He was a publisher.
(c) He was a musician.
(d) He was a merchant.
2. To whom does Candide give the two coins someone gave him in Chapter 3?
(a) A hungry child.
(b) A fruit vender.
(c) A soldier with one leg.
(d) A beggar.
3. How do the Janizaries try to stave off their hunger?
(a) By stealing food.
(b) By eating sticks.
(c) By eating the eunuchs.
(d) By killing squirrels.
4. What happens to the Bicayan and the two Portuguese in the auto-da-fe that follows in Chapter 6?
(a) They are flogged.
(b) They are beheaded.
(c) They are burned.
(d) They are hanged.
5. Where does Pangloss say his disease is making the most "progress"?
(a) Among the Dutch.
(b) Among the clergy.
(c) In the armies.
(d) Among the French.
6. Who does the Commandant of the Jesuit military turn out to be?
(a) Cunegonde's brother.
(b) Dr. Pangloss.
(c) Jacques, the Anabaptist.
(d) The Bulgarian captain.
7. What are the people of Cadiz doing in Chapter 10?
(a) Putting together an army.
(b) Having a religious service.
(c) Building new houses.
(d) Having a fiesta.
8. What is stolen from Cunégonde?
(a) Her Bible.
(b) Her money and diamonds.
(c) Her shoes.
(d) Her clothes.
9. Why does Candide not know anything about his protector in Chapter 7?
(a) The old woman will not answer his questions.
(b) The soldiers take his protector away.
(c) He is too polite to ask personal questions.
(d) The old man cannot hear or speak.
10. How many horses does the old woman tell Candide and Cunégonde are in the stable?
11. Where is the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh located?
12. How many generations of nobility does Cunégonde count in her family?
13. Who does the old woman say her parents were?
(a) Baron Rothschild and the Princess of Monrovia.
(b) Tsar Nicholas I and an English duchess.
(c) Pope Urban X and the Princess of Palestrina.
(d) Archduke Ferdinand and his scullery maid.
14. What happens in Lima, Peru?
(a) There has been an earthquake there.
(b) There is a revolution.
(c) Cunégonde has been found there.
(d) There is a fire.
15. Who survives the shipwreck?
(a) All answers are correct.
(c) The sailor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Candide and Pangloss paid for helping restore the city in Chapter 5?
2. Where is the Baron taken to be buried with his parents?
3. What does the old woman reveal about her past in Chapter 10?
4. What reaction do Candide and Cunégonde have when they reunite?
5. Who does the Bulgar captain sell Cunégonde to?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)