|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the old woman never marry her true love, the Prince of Massa-Carrara?
(a) A former mistress of his poisoned him.
(b) He left her standing alone at the altar.
(c) His father forbade the marriage.
(d) Her father went to war with the prince's father.
2. What reaction do Candide and Cunégonde have when they reunite?
(a) They run away from each other.
(b) Cunégonde faints and Candide catches her.
(c) They embrace and kiss.
(d) They both faint.
3. What color are the soldiers that Candide meets wearing?
4. Why are the two Portuguese arrested in Chapter 6?
(a) For throwing away bacon.
(b) For eating a cat.
(c) For hoarding food.
(d) For selling rotten bananas.
5. What weather condition happens during the Anabaptists, Candide, and Pangloss' travel in Chapter 5?
(a) A storm.
(b) A snowfall.
(c) A heat wave.
(d) A tornado.
6. Who does the beggar tell Candide he is?
(a) A Bulgarian.
(b) The Baron.
(d) A prince.
7. What happens to Candide in the auto-da-fé?
(a) He is flogged.
(b) He is hung.
(c) He is burned.
(d) He is drawn and quartered.
8. On whose death does the beggar report?
(a) The Bulgarian army.
(b) Cunégonde, the Baron, Baroness, and Baron's son.
(c) The Baroness and her sister.
9. Where does the Princess of Palestrina collapse after she escapes from the Moors?
(a) In a barn.
(b) Under an orange tree.
(c) On the Emperor's bed.
(d) In a river.
10. How many times does Candide make it through the gauntlet?
11. Which of the following is not a reason the old woman tells Cunégonde she should stay with the governor?
(a) He will treat her well.
(b) She is his equal.
(c) She is not guilty of murder.
(d) He is rich.
12. How are Candide and Pangloss paid for helping restore the city in Chapter 5?
(a) With meals.
(b) A diamond each.
(c) A place to stay.
(d) A coin every day.
13. Why is the Biscayan arrested in Chapter 6?
(a) For marrying his godmother.
(b) For spouting philosophy.
(c) For selling bacon.
(d) For getting the maid pregnant.
14. How much money does Candide give to the beggar?
(a) Five florins.
(b) Fifty florins.
(c) Twenty florins.
(d) Two florins.
15. Where is the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh located?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Commandant forbid?
2. What does Jacques do when Candide asks him for charity?
3. Which of the following characters does not live with the Baron?
4. How are Candide and Pangloss rewarded for helping rebuild Lisbon?
5. How much of Lisbon is destroyed by the earthquake?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)