|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Biscayan arrested in Chapter 6?
(a) For marrying his godmother.
(b) For getting the maid pregnant.
(c) For selling bacon.
(d) For spouting philosophy.
2. Who is this Grand Inquisitor?
(a) The man who ordered the attack on the Baron's castle.
(b) The man who once gave Candide a meal.
(c) The man who helped Candide get to Holland.
(d) The man who arranged the auto-da-fe in Lisbon.
3. How does Candide find the sea as compared to his journey to Lisbon?
(d) More peaceful.
4. Why does Cacambo believe that Candide will be welcomed by the priests?
(a) Because he knows Bulgar military drills.
(b) Because he can sing many hymns.
(c) Because he is so pious.
(d) Because he is wealthy.
5. What happens at the inn where Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman are staying in Chapter 10?
(a) Someone kidnaps Cunegonde.
(b) Cunegonde is raped again.
(c) The police come looking for Candide.
(d) Someone steals Cunegonde's diamonds and money.
6. What does the Baroness do to Cunégonde after Candide is expelled from the castle?
(a) She slaps her.
(b) She puts her in a dungeon.
(c) She apologizes to her.
(d) She sends her away.
7. In Chapter 2, after running away, Candide is caught and given what choice?
(a) Returning to the army or being torn apart by a bear.
(b) Carrying baggage for the regiment or wearing a dress.
(c) Death by hanging or 10 lashes every day for a year.
(d) Twelve bullets to the brain or 36 lashes by the regiment.
8. Where does Cacambo once work as a servant?
(a) At the College of the Assumption.
(b) At the Vatican.
(c) At the Grand Inquisitor's palace.
(d) At the Baron's palace.
9. Who is the Commandant?
(a) Candide's father.
(b) Cunégonde's brother.
(c) The old woman's son.
(d) Cacambo's uncle.
10. What happens after Candide gives away his coins in Chapter 4?
(a) The hungry child kicks him.
(b) The beggar gives him a hug.
(c) The fruit vender cheats him.
(d) The soldier curses him.
11. Which two men share a house and Cunégonde, although she will not let either man touch her?
(a) Mr. Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor.
(b) Candide and the Grand Inquisitor.
(c) The Baron and the Grand Inquisitor.
(d) Mr. Issachar and Candide.
12. What do Candide and Cunegonde's brother do for a long time in Chapter 14?
(a) Make a marriage pact for Candide and Cunegonde.
(b) argue about Candide's treatment in Westphalia.
(c) have a conversation.
(d) Plan how to defeat the Spanish.
13. How much of Lisbon is destroyed by the earthquake?
(a) Half of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) One quarter of it.
(d) Three quarters of it.
14. What does Candide do when Cunegonde's brother strikes him?
(a) refuses to tell him exactly where his sister is.
(b) stabs him in the belly with his sword.
(c) Gets up and walks out.
(d) Challenges him to a duel.
15. What happens when the old woman, Candide, and Cunégonde stop at the inn?
(a) Someone steals Cunégonde's diamond and pistols.
(b) Candide is robbed and beaten.
(c) The old woman is kidnapped.
(d) Cunégonde is raped and left for dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the young man from the old woman's recollection in Chapter 12 promise the captive princess?
2. Who does the Bulgar captain sell Cunégonde to?
3. What does Candide give the beggar when he sees him on the street?
4. Who does the beggar tell Candide he is?
5. In the old woman's story about her past, what indignity did the old woman and her mother suffer after the ship was seized?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)