|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Candide give the beggar when he sees him on the street?
(a) A slap in the face.
(b) The two coins Jacques gave him.
(c) A job.
(d) A piece of bread.
2. Who does the old woman suspect is the thief?
(a) A Franciscan priest.
(c) A soldier.
(d) The innkeeper.
3. What happens to the main who arrives on the ship that pulls into the harbor while Cunégonde and the governor are speaking?
(a) He is granted immunity.
(b) He is made a captain.
(c) He is flogged.
(d) He is hanged.
4. Over what does Cunégonde shed tears?
(a) Her fate.
(b) The murder of her family.
(c) The deaths of Pangloss and Jacques.
(d) Candide and his misfortunes.
5. Why is Candide beaten by the Bulgarians?
(a) So he can learn to be a soldier.
(b) So he won't run away again.
(c) So he will learn the Bulgarian dances.
(d) So he won't divulge their secrets.
6. Who does the beggar tell Candide he is?
(b) A prince.
(c) A Bulgarian.
(d) The Baron.
7. Where do Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman land in Chapter 13?
(c) Buenos Aires.
8. Where does Pangloss say his disease is making the most "progress"?
(a) Among the Dutch.
(b) In the armies.
(c) Among the French.
(d) Among the clergy.
9. What choice is Candide given for his punishment by the Bulgarians?
(a) Ten bullets or hanging.
(b) Thirty-six bullets or twelve lashes.
(c) Twelve bullets or thirty-six lashes.
(d) Thirty-six lashes or hanging.
10. Why does Cunégonde's brother not approve of Candide's plan to marry his sister?
(a) He does not think Candide has enough money or importance to marry her.
(b) He thinks that Cunégonde does not love Candide.
(c) He thinks Cunégonde is not worthy of Candide's attention.
(d) He thinks Candide will try to kill Cunégonde.
11. Where does Cunégonde see Candide before being reunited with him by the old woman?
(a) At the auto-da-fé.
(b) At the gardens.
(c) At the plaza real.
(d) At the mercado.
12. Why does Candide not act on his crush on Cunégonde?
(a) He is too shy.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) He does not have a crush on her.
(d) He is too young.
13. What does Candide tell Don Fernando about Cunegonde?
(a) That she is about to be his wife.
(b) That she is a nun.
(c) thet she is married to him.
(d) That she is a carrier of the plague.
14. To where do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman flee?
15. To whom does the captain sell Cunégonde?
(a) The Grand Inquisitor.
(c) Mr. Cadiz.
(d) Mr. Issachar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Candide punished as a prisoner in Lisbon?
2. What does the beggar say is the reason for his affliction?
3. What is Candide's destination?
4. How is Pangloss punished by the auto-da-fé?
5. How did Cunegonde react to Don Issachar?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)