|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Candide's wounds to heal?
(a) Six months.
(b) A month.
(c) A year.
(d) 3 weeks.
2. Who heals the women after the Russians attack the Janissaries?
(a) The Janissaries.
(b) The French.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The Spaniards.
3. How much money does Jacques give Candide?
(a) 50 florins.
(b) Twenty florins.
(c) Two florins.
(d) 100 florins.
4. What does Pangloss call the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh?
(a) The castle of many mysteries.
(b) The richest castle in the world.
(c) The only castle in Bulgaria.
(d) The best of all possible castles.
5. As Captain, who is assigned to be Candide's assistant?
(b) T Bulgarian prisoner of war.
(c) A Moroccan pirate.
(d) Cunegonde's long lost brother.
6. Who is this Grand Inquisitor?
(a) The man who helped Candide get to Holland.
(b) The man who arranged the auto-da-fe in Lisbon.
(c) The man who ordered the attack on the Baron's castle.
(d) The man who once gave Candide a meal.
7. How does Cunegonde's brother say he escaped?
(a) After being buried alive, he clawed his way out and was helped by a priest.
(b) He took the Bulgarian uniform off a corps and was not discovered.
(c) Salty holy water sprinkled on his eyes let the priest know he was alive.
(d) He got to the secret tunnel that led out of the castle and got away.
8. Where do Candide and Cacambo go after leaving the governor's place?
(d) Buenos Aires.
9. For what position does Jacques hire the beggar?
(b) Stable boy.
10. What weather condition happens during the Anabaptists, Candide, and Pangloss' travel in Chapter 5?
(a) A heat wave.
(b) A tornado.
(c) A snowfall.
(d) A storm.
11. What does Candide give the beggar when he sees him on the street?
(a) The two coins Jacques gave him.
(b) A slap in the face.
(c) A job.
(d) A piece of bread.
12. What does the old woman reveal about her past in Chapter 10?
(a) She was born a princess but now has to work as a maid.
(b) She was once married to the King of Spain.
(c) She was once the mistress of the Grand Inquisitor.
(d) She was once a Russian Tsarina.
13. What is Candide wearing when he and Cacambo escape after Candide kills Cunégonde's brother?
(a) His normal clothes.
(c) The Commandant's robe.
(d) A necklace from Cunégonde.
14. What is Cunégonde wearing when she meets Candide again?
(a) A suit of armor.
(b) Heavy blankets.
(c) A san benito.
15. Which of the following does the old woman not provide to Candide while he is staying in her shack?
(c) A bed.
(d) A concubine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fleeing the Spanish who are looking for the murderer of the Grand Inquisitor, where do Candide and Cacambo head in Chapter 14?
2. In the old woman's story about her past, what indignity did the old woman and her mother suffer after the ship was seized?
3. Why is Candide allowed to speak to the Commandant of the Jesuit military?
4. What does the Baroness do to Cunégonde after Candide is expelled from the castle?
5. When the old woman and her mother had been on board a ship belonging to the Pope, what event occurred?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)