|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Cunegonde react to Don Issachar?
(a) She allowed him to sleep with her.
(b) She did not let him touch her.
(c) She hated him.
(d) She feared him.
2. How does Candide kill Mr. Issachar?
(a) With a gun.
(b) With a knife.
(c) With a sword.
(d) With his hands.
3. What does Pangloss call the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh?
(a) The richest castle in the world.
(b) The castle of many mysteries.
(c) The only castle in Bulgaria.
(d) The best of all possible castles.
4. Who is Candide's mother?
(a) The Baron's sister.
(b) The Baron's wife.
(c) The Baron's aunt.
(d) The Baron's mother.
5. Where does Candide walk the street and ask for charity after visiting the villages that have been pummeled?
6. To what lot was the old woman born?
(a) She was born a slave.
(b) She was born a baroness.
(c) She was born a princess.
(d) She was born a maid.
7. What is Candide wearing when he and Cacambo escape after Candide kills Cunégonde's brother?
(b) The Commandant's robe.
(c) His normal clothes.
(d) A necklace from Cunégonde.
8. What is Candide told after he drinks to the health of the king of Bulgaria?
(a) That he is now a defender of Bulgarians.
(b) That he must become a Bulgarian citizen.
(c) That he will be put into prison.
(d) That he has just become a Bulgarian slave.
9. How many people are being punished in the auto-da-fé?
10. What is Candide forced to do after the murder of Issachar is discovered?
(a) Kill the Grand Inquisitor.
(b) Kill the stable boy.
(c) Kill the old woman.
(d) Kill the cook.
11. Whose health do the soldiers make Candide drink to?
(a) The King of the Bulgars.
(b) The King of the Avars.
(c) The Baron.
(d) The Pope.
12. Where does the sergeant say the Reverend Father Provincial has gone?
(a) To his mother's home.
(b) To Buenos Aires.
(c) To the parade ground.
(d) To visit his lover.
13. Who does the old woman say her parents were?
(a) Baron Rothschild and the Princess of Monrovia.
(b) Archduke Ferdinand and his scullery maid.
(c) Pope Urban X and the Princess of Palestrina.
(d) Tsar Nicholas I and an English duchess.
14. What happens to the Bicayan and the two Portuguese in the auto-da-fe that follows in Chapter 6?
(a) They are flogged.
(b) They are hanged.
(c) They are beheaded.
(d) They are burned.
15. When did the man who found the old woman and spoke her language first meet her?
(a) After her father died.
(b) When she was eighteen.
(c) Under the orange tree.
(d) Before she was six.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pangloss and Candide walk around in Lisbon, what catastrophe strikes?
2. In the old woman's story about her past, what did the soldiers of the Pope do when the ship was attacked?
3. After leaving the castle, where does Candide fall asleep?
4. How does Cunegonde's brother say he escaped?
5. Which of the following is not part of the name of the governor who becomes infatuated with Cunégonde?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)