|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, where does the Anabaptist take Candide and Pangloss?
2. What does Candide say about Cunégonde's scar?
(a) He hopes he can see it.
(b) He thinks it is beautiful.
(c) He thinks it is ugly.
(d) He wishes he could make it disappear.
3. What faith is Jacques?
4. Who does Cunégonde see Pangloss with in the bushes?
(a) Her sister.
(b) The chambermaid.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her mother.
5. In Chapter 7, who rescues and takes care of Candide?
(a) Dr. Pangloss.
(b) An old man.
(c) The Baron's son.
(d) An old woman.
6. Why does Candide ask to be shot in the head?
(a) There are 2,000 men in the regiment to give 36 lashes each.
(b) He says it as a joke not believing they will do it.
(c) He saw someone hanged and does not want that.
(d) There is no hope for him to escape the army.
7. Where is the castle where Candide is raised?
(c) South America.
8. How do the men help train Candide to be a stronger soldier?
(a) They beat him with a stick.
(b) They have him run long distances.
(c) They give him special weapons training.
(d) They make him do push ups.
9. What is Cunegonde's brother's position now in Paraguay?
(a) A colonel and priest.
(b) A colonel and the governor.
(c) A Papal envoy to the Jesuits.
(d) A governor and priest.
10. When did the man who found the old woman and spoke her language first meet her?
(a) Under the orange tree.
(b) When she was eighteen.
(c) After her father died.
(d) Before she was six.
11. Which of the following weapons is not used by the Bulgarians during their battles?
12. What is the country to which Candide walks after leaving Bulgaria?
13. What does Candide's tutor teach the children?
(a) The meek will inherit the earth.
(b) Love is patient.
(c) There is no effect without a cause.
(d) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
14. What happens the morning after Candide's rescue?
(a) Lisbon soldiers come looking for him.
(b) The old woman returns and brings him breakfast and another ointment.
(c) The old woman sells him as a galley slave.
(d) He runs away again, headed for Spain.
15. In Holland, who is Candide happy to meet up with again?
(b) The Baron's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Candide and Cacambo plan to join?
2. What is the result of Candide and Cunegonde getting caught behind the screen in Chapter 1?
3. Who is the court's banker?
4. What happens to Candide immediately after he leaves the castle?
5. Where is the fleet of ships that Candide, Cunégonde and the old woman join headed?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)