|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the beggar say is the reason for his affliction?
(a) A disease brought by the Bulgarians.
(b) Something that he ate.
(c) Intimate relations with the maid.
(d) Intimate relations with Cunégonde.
2. Why does the captain kill the Bulgarian who is attacking Cunégonde?
(a) The captain is angry that the rapist did not kill Cunégonde.
(b) The captain does not kill the Bulgarian.
(c) The captain is angry that he didn't get Cunégonde first.
(d) The captain is angry that the rapist did not stop to show respect for the captain.
3. What news does Candide give the Commandant of the Jesuit military?
(a) His sister is alive and well.
(b) That Cunegonde is now his wife.
(c) That Westphalia no longer exists.
(d) That the Bulgarians are coming.
4. What does Candide give the beggar when he sees him on the street?
(a) A job.
(b) The two coins Jacques gave him.
(c) A slap in the face.
(d) A piece of bread.
5. Who is the last person for whom the old woman worked?
(a) A man in Moscow.
(b) The Prince of Palestrina.
(c) Mr. Issachar.
(d) The Grand Inquisitor.
6. What faith is Jacques?
7. What is Candide's destination?
8. What natural event destroys the city of Lisbon?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A tidal wave.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A volcano.
9. What happens when Mr. Issachar attacks Candide?
(a) Candide kills Mr. Issachar.
(b) Candide tells the Grand Inquisitor.
(c) Cunnegonde kills Mr. Issachar.
(d) Candide is seriously injured.
10. Why does Candide ask to be shot in the head?
(a) He says it as a joke not believing they will do it.
(b) There are 2,000 men in the regiment to give 36 lashes each.
(c) There is no hope for him to escape the army.
(d) He saw someone hanged and does not want that.
11. On the ship leaving Cadiz in Chapter 10, where are Candide and company headed?
(b) Buenos Aires.
12. How are Candide and Pangloss paid for helping restore the city in Chapter 5?
(a) With meals.
(b) A diamond each.
(c) A coin every day.
(d) A place to stay.
13. What is Candide told after he drinks to the health of the king of Bulgaria?
(a) That he must become a Bulgarian citizen.
(b) That he is now a defender of Bulgarians.
(c) That he has just become a Bulgarian slave.
(d) That he will be put into prison.
14. Which of the following is something Candide does not experience in Chapter 5?
(a) Being stoned.
(b) Witnessing death.
(c) A storm.
(d) An earthquake.
15. Who were the old woman's parents?
(a) The Baron and Baroness of Palestrina.
(b) Pope Urban X and the Princess of Palestrina.
(c) The Baron of Palestrina and the Princess of Westphalia.
(d) The Baron of Urbania and the Princess of Palestrina.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cunegonde's brother learn Cunegonde is in Chapter 15?
2. How tall is Candide?
3. What does Candide say about Cunégonde's scar?
4. What is the result of Candide and Cunegonde getting caught behind the screen in Chapter 1?
5. How did Cunegonde react to Don Issachar?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)