|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Candide do after the Baron hits him with his sword?
(a) He slaps him back.
(b) He stabs the Baron.
(c) He calls for help.
(d) He runs away.
2. What does Cunegonde talk about on the way to Buenos Aires?
(a) Her fortune.
(b) Her hardships.
(c) The future.
(d) Her luck.
3. What did the Janizaries do to the old woman when she was young and had been captured by them?
(a) They cut off and ate one of her buttocks.
(b) They made her the camp prostitute.
(c) They beat her every day and made her carry water.
(d) They made her eat pig food.
4. Whose health do the soldiers make Candide drink to?
(a) The King of the Bulgars.
(b) The King of the Avars.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The Baron.
5. After leaving the castle, where does Candide fall asleep?
(a) In a church.
(b) In a shop doorway.
(c) In a snow-covered field.
(d) Under a haystack.
6. Who does Candide kiss behind a screen?
(a) The Baron's mother.
(b) The chambermaid.
(d) The Baroness.
7. Where is the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh located?
8. Why are Candide and Pangloss arrested in Portugal?
(a) For killing a Bulgarian.
(b) For throwing away bacon.
(c) For drowning Jacques.
(d) For spouting philosophy.
9. How does Cunegonde's brother react to Candide's plan to marry Cunegonde?
(a) He is not pleased with the idea.
(b) He is indifferent because of his priestly position.
(c) He is delighted that she will marry someone from Westphalia.
(d) He is surprised Candide will marry damaged goods.
10. How does Jacques die?
(a) He is poisoned.
(b) He contracts syphilis.
(c) He is stabbed.
(d) He drowns.
11. How many people are being punished in the auto-da-fé?
12. What happens when Candide discovers that Cunegonde is the young girl under the veil?
(a) Cunegonde faints.
(b) Candide faints.
(c) The old woman faints.
(d) They both faint.
13. What reaction do Candide and Cunégonde have when they reunite?
(a) They embrace and kiss.
(b) They run away from each other.
(c) They both faint.
(d) Cunégonde faints and Candide catches her.
14. In Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff, who offers Candide food and drink?
(a) A priest.
(b) Two men.
(c) Dr. Pangloss.
(d) A charwoman.
15. How did Cunegonde react to Don Issachar?
(a) She hated him.
(b) She feared him.
(c) She did not let him touch her.
(d) She allowed him to sleep with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the old woman and her mother had been on board a ship belonging to the Pope, what event occurred?
2. What country does Candide go to after the war?
3. How many times does Candide make it through the gauntlet?
4. How does Cunegonde's brother say he escaped?
5. What gives Candide a chance to escape the Bulgarians?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)