|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Candide not act on his crush on Cunégonde?
(a) He does not have a crush on her.
(b) He is too young.
(c) He is too shy.
(d) None of these answers is correct.
2. What does the old woman suggest should be done to make money?
(a) Sell off Cunégonde.
(b) Sell one of the horses.
(c) Work as hired help at the inn.
(d) Steal from the other guests.
3. What happens on the same day as the auto-da-fé?
(a) An eclipse.
(b) Another eartquake.
(c) A fire.
(d) A revolt by the people.
4. Why is Candide beaten by the Bulgarians?
(a) So he will learn the Bulgarian dances.
(b) So he won't run away again.
(c) So he can learn to be a soldier.
(d) So he won't divulge their secrets.
5. Who is the court's banker?
(a) Cunégonde's uncle.
(b) The Grand Inquisitor's illegitimate son.
(c) Don Issachar.
(d) The old lady's husband.
6. What does Candide tell Don Fernando about Cunegonde?
(a) thet she is married to him.
(b) That she is a carrier of the plague.
(c) That she is about to be his wife.
(d) That she is a nun.
7. How tall is Candide?
(b) Five feet tall.
(d) Six feet tall.
8. Which of the following is not part of the name of the governor who becomes infatuated with Cunégonde?
9. The old woman and her mother were brought to Morocco for what purpose?
(a) To be educated.
(b) To be slaves.
(c) To be married.
(d) To be killed.
10. Where does Cunégonde's brother reside in Chapter 15?
11. Where does the Princess of Palestrina collapse after she escapes from the Moors?
(a) In a river.
(b) On the Emperor's bed.
(c) In a barn.
(d) Under an orange tree.
12. Fleeing the Spanish who are looking for the murderer of the Grand Inquisitor, where do Candide and Cacambo head in Chapter 14?
13. What natural event destroys the city of Lisbon?
(a) A tidal wave.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A volcano.
14. Why does Candide not know anything about his protector in Chapter 7?
(a) The old woman will not answer his questions.
(b) The old man cannot hear or speak.
(c) He is too polite to ask personal questions.
(d) The soldiers take his protector away.
15. Which of the following is something Candide does not experience in Chapter 5?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A storm.
(c) Being stoned.
(d) Witnessing death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the old woman not provide to Candide while he is staying in her shack?
2. Which of the following characters does not live with the Baron?
3. Who is the man in black an officer for?
4. What happens to the main who arrives on the ship that pulls into the harbor while Cunégonde and the governor are speaking?
5. Where does the old woman suggest Candide and Cunegonde go in Chapter 9?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)