|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pays for Pangloss' cure?
(c) The Baron.
2. In Chapter 7, who rescues and takes care of Candide?
(a) An old man.
(b) An old woman.
(c) Dr. Pangloss.
(d) The Baron's son.
3. Why does the old lady say she is being kind to Candide?
(a) She is his mother.
(b) She is Paquette.
(c) She doesn't tell him.
(d) She is his aunt.
4. Who is the Princess of Palestrina's father?
(a) The Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh.
(b) Pope Urban X.
(c) Candide's father.
(d) The Grand Inquisitor.
5. What did the young man from the old woman's recollection in Chapter 12 promise the captive princess?
(a) He would see her safely back to Italy.
(b) He would find an Italian nobleman to rescue her
(c) He would keep her hidden in his house in Morocco.
(d) He would help her get away to Cairo.
6. Where does Candide go, leaving Cunegonde with the governor of Buenos Aires?
(a) To call on the police.
(b) To shop for new clothes.
(c) to inspect his infantry.
(d) To buy a house.
7. Why does Candide kill the Grand Inquisitor?
(a) He wants to impress Cunégonde with his power.
(b) He wants to have Cunégonde for his own slave.
(c) He believes the Grand Inquisitor will have him burned.
(d) He thinks the Grand Inquisitor has raped Cunégonde.
8. Which of the following characters does not live with the Baron?
(b) His sister.
(c) His wife.
9. What does Jacques say mankind has become like?
10. Who does the old lady pray to for Candide's health?
(a) Saint Anthony of Padua.
(b) Saint James of Compostella.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Our Lady of Atocha.
11. Whose health do the soldiers make Candide drink to?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Baron.
(c) The King of the Bulgars.
(d) The King of the Avars.
12. What position does the Baron attain in the Jesuit military?
13. Who is the court's banker?
(a) The Grand Inquisitor's illegitimate son.
(b) Don Issachar.
(c) Cunégonde's uncle.
(d) The old lady's husband.
14. When does the old woman share her name with Candide?
(a) When she first meets him.
(b) After he wakes up.
(c) After she feeds him for three days.
15. What happens at the inn where Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman are staying in Chapter 10?
(a) The police come looking for Candide.
(b) Someone kidnaps Cunegonde.
(c) Someone steals Cunegonde's diamonds and money.
(d) Cunegonde is raped again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in the evening of the third day after Candide is rescued?
2. To whom did the old woman tell her story of captivity by the pirates?
3. Who arrives on the ship that pulls into the harbor while Cunégonde and the governor are speaking?
4. How is the Princess of Palestrina's betrothed killed?
5. Where is the Baron taken to be buried with his parents?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)