|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jacques die?
(a) He drowns.
(b) He contracts syphilis.
(c) He is poisoned.
(d) He is stabbed.
2. Why is Candide beaten by the Bulgarians?
(a) So he can learn to be a soldier.
(b) So he will learn the Bulgarian dances.
(c) So he won't divulge their secrets.
(d) So he won't run away again.
3. What does Cunegonde talk about on the way to Buenos Aires?
(a) Her hardships.
(b) Her fortune.
(c) The future.
(d) Her luck.
4. Who saves Candide from being killed by the Bulgarians?
(a) The Baron of Thunder-ten-tronckh.
(b) The two men he met in the Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff.
(d) The King of the Bulgarians.
5. In Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff, who offers Candide food and drink?
(a) Two men.
(b) A charwoman.
(c) A priest.
(d) Dr. Pangloss.
6. Who heals Cunégonde's brother after he is left for dead at the castle?
(a) A Jesuit.
(b) A philosopher.
(c) A Bulgarian.
(d) A Spaniard.
7. For what position does Jacques hire the beggar?
(c) Stable boy.
8. How does the old woman describe the location where she was raised?
(a) Much grander than that in Westphalia.
(b) Like a fortress with a wide moat around it.
(c) As grand as the King's palace.
(d) Perched high on a mountaintop.
9. How does Cunegonde's brother react to Candide's plan to marry Cunegonde?
(a) He is delighted that she will marry someone from Westphalia.
(b) He is indifferent because of his priestly position.
(c) He is surprised Candide will marry damaged goods.
(d) He is not pleased with the idea.
10. What does Candide give the beggar when he sees him on the street?
(a) A piece of bread.
(b) A slap in the face.
(c) The two coins Jacques gave him.
(d) A job.
11. What offer does Don Fernando make to Cunegonde?
(a) To marry him if she so desires.
(b) To move into his palace.
(c) To become his mistress.
(d) to have him eliminate Candide.
12. Why are Candide and Pangloss arrested in Portugal?
(a) For spouting philosophy.
(b) For throwing away bacon.
(c) For drowning Jacques.
(d) For killing a Bulgarian.
13. What is Candide's destination?
14. To what lot was the old woman born?
(a) She was born a slave.
(b) She was born a baroness.
(c) She was born a maid.
(d) She was born a princess.
15. Who is on the arriving Spanish ship in Chapter 13?
(a) A Bulgarian captain.
(b) the monk who stole Cunegonde's money and diamonds.
(c) The Grand Inquisitor's brother.
(d) The young castrati who sold the old woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Candide make it through the gauntlet?
2. Who is the Commandant?
3. Who pays for Pangloss' cure?
4. What does Candide say about Cunégonde's scar?
5. How much of Lisbon is destroyed by the earthquake?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)