|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Cunégonde been stabbed?
(a) In her back.
(b) On her left side.
(c) On her leg.
(d) On her arm.
2. How are Candide and Pangloss paid for helping restore the city in Chapter 5?
(a) A diamond each.
(b) With meals.
(c) A coin every day.
(d) A place to stay.
3. Who heals Cunégonde's brother after he is left for dead at the castle?
(a) A philosopher.
(b) A Bulgarian.
(c) A Jesuit.
(d) A Spaniard.
4. What is the horror Cunegonde's brother relates to Candide in Chapter 15?
(a) He was raped by the Bulgarian regiment.
(b) He was enslaved for many years.
(c) He was forced to kill his mother.
(d) He witnessed his sister's rape and the murder of his parents.
5. When did the man who found the old woman and spoke her language first meet her?
(a) After her father died.
(b) Under the orange tree.
(c) When she was eighteen.
(d) Before she was six.
6. What does Pangloss call the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh?
(a) The best of all possible castles.
(b) The castle of many mysteries.
(c) The richest castle in the world.
(d) The only castle in Bulgaria.
7. Who saves Candide from being killed by the Bulgarians?
(a) The Baron of Thunder-ten-tronckh.
(c) The King of the Bulgarians.
(d) The two men he met in the Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff.
8. How do the Anabaptists, Candide, and Pangloss travel to their destination in Chapter 5?
(a) By foot.
(b) By raft.
(c) By horse.
(d) By boat.
9. What town do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman reach before anyone realizes Mr. Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor are dead?
10. What happens the morning after Candide's rescue?
(a) The old woman sells him as a galley slave.
(b) He runs away again, headed for Spain.
(c) Lisbon soldiers come looking for him.
(d) The old woman returns and brings him breakfast and another ointment.
11. Who does the Commandant of the Jesuit military turn out to be?
(a) The Bulgarian captain.
(b) Cunegonde's brother.
(c) Jacques, the Anabaptist.
(d) Dr. Pangloss.
12. What does everyone who meets the Governor of Buenos Aires for the first time want to do to him?
(a) Hit him.
(b) Kiss him.
(c) Pray for him.
(d) Give him money.
13. In Chapter 2, after running away, Candide is caught and given what choice?
(a) Carrying baggage for the regiment or wearing a dress.
(b) Twelve bullets to the brain or 36 lashes by the regiment.
(c) Returning to the army or being torn apart by a bear.
(d) Death by hanging or 10 lashes every day for a year.
14. Who heals the women after the Russians attack the Janissaries?
(a) The Spaniards.
(b) The Russians.
(c) The Janissaries.
(d) The French.
15. Why does Candide not know anything about his protector in Chapter 7?
(a) He is too polite to ask personal questions.
(b) The old man cannot hear or speak.
(c) The old woman will not answer his questions.
(d) The soldiers take his protector away.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Candide give the two coins someone gave him in Chapter 3?
2. What did the Janizaries do to the old woman when she was young and had been captured by them?
3. Why did the old woman not marry the person to whom she was engaged?
4. In Chapter 8, what are Candide and Cunégonde doing when Mr. Issachar arrives?
5. How many people die in the war between the Bulgars and the Avars?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)