|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who survives the shipwreck?
(b) All answers are correct.
(d) The sailor.
2. What is the horror Cunegonde's brother relates to Candide in Chapter 15?
(a) He was raped by the Bulgarian regiment.
(b) He witnessed his sister's rape and the murder of his parents.
(c) He was enslaved for many years.
(d) He was forced to kill his mother.
3. Why does Cunégonde decide to stay with the governor?
(a) Because he is attractive.
(b) Because he is strong.
(c) Because he is young.
(d) Because he is rich.
4. Where do Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman land in Chapter 13?
(d) Buenos Aires.
5. How does Candide get in trouble with the Bulgarians?
(a) He writes a letter to Cunégonde.
(b) He kisses one of their wives.
(c) He goes for a walk.
(d) He fails to learn how to fight.
6. How does Candide justify the murders he committed?
(a) He believes otherwise Cunégonde would have been harmed.
(b) He believes otherwise Mr. Issachar would have killed the Grand Inquisitor.
(c) He believes otherwise he would have been taken into slavery.
(d) He believes otherwise the old woman would have been killed.
7. What does the beggar say is the reason for his affliction?
(a) Intimate relations with the maid.
(b) Something that he ate.
(c) Intimate relations with Cunégonde.
(d) A disease brought by the Bulgarians.
8. How do the people at the University of Coimbre decide a future earthquake can be prevented?
(a) By moving the city to a better location.
(b) By building stronger buildings.
(c) By holding a week long religious ceremony.
(d) By burning people alive.
9. When does the old woman share her name with Candide?
(a) After he wakes up.
(c) When she first meets him.
(d) After she feeds him for three days.
10. In Chapter 8, what are Candide and Cunégonde doing when Mr. Issachar arrives?
(a) Sitting on the couch.
(b) Eating dinner.
(d) Having coffee.
11. Who does the Bulgar captain sell Cunégonde to?
(a) The Grand Inquisitor.
(b) Don Issachar.
(c) A Muslim.
(d) An Anabaptist.
12. What offer does Don Fernando make to Cunegonde?
(a) To marry him if she so desires.
(b) To move into his palace.
(c) to have him eliminate Candide.
(d) To become his mistress.
13. What does Candide do when Cunegonde's brother strikes him?
(a) Gets up and walks out.
(b) refuses to tell him exactly where his sister is.
(c) stabs him in the belly with his sword.
(d) Challenges him to a duel.
14. Who were the old woman's parents?
(a) Pope Urban X and the Princess of Palestrina.
(b) The Baron and Baroness of Palestrina.
(c) The Baron of Palestrina and the Princess of Westphalia.
(d) The Baron of Urbania and the Princess of Palestrina.
15. How does Candide kill Don Issachar?
(a) He hits him over the head.
(b) He shoots him.
(c) With a sword.
(d) By strangling him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Candide told after he drinks to the health of the king of Bulgaria?
2. What happens to the Bicayan and the two Portuguese in the auto-da-fe that follows in Chapter 6?
3. What does Cunegonde witness in the park in Chapter 1?
4. Why is Candide allowed to speak to the Commandant of the Jesuit military?
5. What did the young man from the old woman's recollection in Chapter 12 promise the captive princess?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)