|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What faith is Jacques?
2. What does the old woman suggest should be done to make money?
(a) Work as hired help at the inn.
(b) Sell one of the horses.
(c) Sell off Cunégonde.
(d) Steal from the other guests.
3. What does Cunegonde talk about on the way to Buenos Aires?
(a) Her luck.
(b) Her fortune.
(c) Her hardships.
(d) The future.
4. What does the Anabaptist do for the crew of the boat?
(a) He pays them double.
(b) He helps them.
(c) He ignores them.
(d) He feeds them.
5. What does Candide say about Cunégonde's scar?
(a) He wishes he could make it disappear.
(b) He thinks it is beautiful.
(c) He hopes he can see it.
(d) He thinks it is ugly.
6. What reaction do Candide and Cunégonde have when they reunite?
(a) Cunégonde faints and Candide catches her.
(b) They run away from each other.
(c) They embrace and kiss.
(d) They both faint.
7. Where do Candide and Cacambo go after leaving the governor's place?
(c) Buenos Aires.
8. What happens to Candide immediately after he leaves the castle?
(a) He is beat up by some Bulgarians.
(b) He wanders around and falls asleep in the snow.
(c) He is taken in by his long lost aunt.
(d) He finds a beautiful bride.
9. Where do Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman land in Chapter 13?
(c) Buenos Aires.
10. How are Candide and Cunégonde reunited?
(a) Candide is visited by a nurse who ends up being Cunégonde.
(b) Cunégonde is a prostitute who Candide visits.
(c) The old woman brings Cunégonde to Candide.
(d) Cunégonde has become a beggar and Candide gives her coins.
11. What does Candide give the beggar when he sees him on the street?
(a) A slap in the face.
(b) A job.
(c) The two coins Jacques gave him.
(d) A piece of bread.
12. Which of the following does Pangloss say to a survivor of the natural disaster in Lisbon?
(a) Life is a blessing.
(b) Happiness is what you make of it.
(c) Everything happens for a reason.
(d) Good things come to those who wait.
13. Who heals the women after the Russians attack the Janissaries?
(a) The Janissaries.
(b) The French.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The Spaniards.
14. When did the man who found the old woman and spoke her language first meet her?
(a) When she was eighteen.
(b) After her father died.
(c) Under the orange tree.
(d) Before she was six.
15. Who does Pangloss ultimately blame for his current condition?
(a) The Baron.
(b) Christopher Columbus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the old woman say her parents were?
2. Which of the following characters does not live with the Baron?
3. What happens when Candide learns that the Baron, his wife, and his son were murdered?
4. Who does the beggar tell Candide he is?
5. Where does Cunégonde see Candide for the first time after their separation?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)