|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What natural event destroys the city of Lisbon?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A tornado.
(c) A tidal wave.
(d) An earthquake.
2. What happens to Candide in the auto-da-fé?
(a) He is flogged.
(b) He is hung.
(c) He is drawn and quartered.
(d) He is burned.
3. What is Candide's destination?
4. Where is the Baron taken to be buried with his parents?
(a) In the castle.
(b) At the nearest cathedral.
(c) A Jesuit chapel.
(d) To the garbage dump.
5. How does Cunegonde's brother react to Candide's plan to marry Cunegonde?
(a) He is surprised Candide will marry damaged goods.
(b) He is indifferent because of his priestly position.
(c) He is not pleased with the idea.
(d) He is delighted that she will marry someone from Westphalia.
6. Who does the old woman say her parents were?
(a) Baron Rothschild and the Princess of Monrovia.
(b) Pope Urban X and the Princess of Palestrina.
(c) Tsar Nicholas I and an English duchess.
(d) Archduke Ferdinand and his scullery maid.
7. What does the Anabaptist do for the crew of the boat?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He pays them double.
(c) He helps them.
(d) He feeds them.
8. How tall is Candide?
(c) Five feet tall.
(d) Six feet tall.
9. Who does the beggar tell Candide he is?
(a) A Bulgarian.
(c) The Baron.
(d) A prince.
10. For what position does Jacques hire the beggar?
(c) Stable boy.
11. What news does Candide give the Commandant of the Jesuit military?
(a) That Westphalia no longer exists.
(b) That the Bulgarians are coming.
(c) His sister is alive and well.
(d) That Cunegonde is now his wife.
12. How does Candide get in trouble with the Bulgarians?
(a) He kisses one of their wives.
(b) He fails to learn how to fight.
(c) He goes for a walk.
(d) He writes a letter to Cunégonde.
13. How much does the Baroness weigh?
(a) 150 pounds.
(b) 350 pounds.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 90 pounds.
14. Over what does Cunégonde shed tears?
(a) Candide and his misfortunes.
(b) Her fate.
(c) The deaths of Pangloss and Jacques.
(d) The murder of her family.
15. Fleeing the Spanish who are looking for the murderer of the Grand Inquisitor, where do Candide and Cacambo head in Chapter 14?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the old woman's recollection in Chapter 12, what did the young man do the next day (after making a promise to the captive princess)?
2. What is the man's occupation?
3. How many people die in the war between the Bulgars and the Avars?
4. What does Candide give the beggar when he sees him on the street?
5. In Chapter 8, what does Cunegonde tell Candide had happened to her?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)