|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are the soldiers that Candide meets wearing?
2. Where has Cunégonde been stabbed?
(a) On her arm.
(b) In her back.
(c) On her leg.
(d) On her left side.
3. How does Jacques act on the ship?
(a) He helps the crew.
(b) He tries to get the sailors lost.
(c) He reads the whole time.
(d) He sulks.
4. What does Candide's tutor teach the children?
(a) The meek will inherit the earth.
(b) There is no effect without a cause.
(c) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
(d) Love is patient.
5. Who is on the arriving Spanish ship in Chapter 13?
(a) the monk who stole Cunegonde's money and diamonds.
(b) The young castrati who sold the old woman.
(c) The Grand Inquisitor's brother.
(d) A Bulgarian captain.
6. Where does Candide travel with Cunégonde, the old woman, and two servants?
(d) Buenos Aires.
7. What did the Janizaries do to the old woman when she was young and had been captured by them?
(a) They cut off and ate one of her buttocks.
(b) They made her the camp prostitute.
(c) They made her eat pig food.
(d) They beat her every day and made her carry water.
8. After seeing the Bulgarian destruction in Avare, what does Candide see next?
(a) Pangloss teaching Bulgarina soldiers.
(b) The Abarian destruction of a Bulgarian village.
(c) Cunegonde walking down the road.
(d) The moon rise over the Abarian mountains.
9. Who develops a solution to prevent further earthquakes?
(a) The University of Westphalia.
(d) The University of Coimbre.
10. Cacambo is what percent Spanish?
(a) Three quarters.
(b) One sixteenth.
(c) One half.
(d) One quarter.
11. How did Cunegonde react to Don Issachar?
(a) She feared him.
(b) She allowed him to sleep with her.
(c) She hated him.
(d) She did not let him touch her.
12. Who does Cunégonde see Pangloss with in the bushes?
(a) The chambermaid.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her aunt.
13. What does Candide sell on the old woman's advice?
(a) A sword.
(b) A horse.
14. How is Candide punished as a prisoner in Lisbon?
(a) He is put on a rack.
(b) He is hung by his arms.
(c) He is hung by his feet.
(d) He is flogged.
15. Whose health do the soldiers make Candide drink to?
(a) The Baron.
(b) The King of the Avars.
(c) The King of the Bulgars.
(d) The Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did the old woman tell her story of captivity by the pirates?
2. What is the solution which is developed to prevent further earthquakes?
3. How long has the agreement between Don Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor been in effect?
4. Where does Candide go, leaving Cunegonde with the governor of Buenos Aires?
5. Where is the man who finds the Princess born?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)