|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who heals Cunégonde's brother after he is left for dead at the castle?
(a) A Spaniard.
(b) A Jesuit.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A Bulgarian.
2. When Pangloss and Candide walk around in Lisbon, what catastrophe strikes?
(a) An outbreak of the plague.
(b) An invasion.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A hail storm.
3. Who is the Commandant?
(a) Cacambo's uncle.
(b) Candide's father.
(c) The old woman's son.
(d) Cunégonde's brother.
4. What does Pangloss call the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh?
(a) The richest castle in the world.
(b) The castle of many mysteries.
(c) The only castle in Bulgaria.
(d) The best of all possible castles.
5. What characteristic do Jacques and Candide share?
6. Who does the old woman say her parents were?
(a) Baron Rothschild and the Princess of Monrovia.
(b) Pope Urban X and the Princess of Palestrina.
(c) Archduke Ferdinand and his scullery maid.
(d) Tsar Nicholas I and an English duchess.
7. What is the man's occupation?
(a) He was a musician.
(b) He was a publisher.
(c) He was a merchant.
(d) He was a shoemaker.
8. In Chapter 8, what are Candide and Cunégonde doing when Mr. Issachar arrives?
(a) Sitting on the couch.
(b) Having coffee.
(c) Eating dinner.
9. What does Candide tell the Commandant?
(a) That the Commandant's sister is live and well.
(b) That he killed the Grand Inquisitor.
(c) That he hates all Jesuits.
(d) That he raped Cunégonde.
10. On the ship leaving Cadiz in Chapter 10, where are Candide and company headed?
(d) Buenos Aires.
11. In Holland, who is Candide happy to meet up with again?
(a) The Baron's son.
12. Why is the Biscayan arrested in Chapter 6?
(a) For spouting philosophy.
(b) For selling bacon.
(c) For marrying his godmother.
(d) For getting the maid pregnant.
13. Where does the old woman suggest Candide and Cunegonde go in Chapter 9?
14. Where has Cunégonde been stabbed?
(a) On her leg.
(b) On her left side.
(c) On her arm.
(d) In her back.
15. What happens in Lisbon after the shipwreck?
(a) There is a tidal wave.
(b) There is an eclipse.
(c) There is an earthquake.
(d) There is a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the solution which is developed to prevent further earthquakes?
2. What happens to Candide and Pangloss in the auto-da-fe?
3. Candide meets two men in the town of Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff. To whom do they drink?
4. Where is the man who finds the Princess born?
5. How many horses does the old woman tell Candide and Cunégonde are in the stable?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)