|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Candide's reaction to the execution he sees in England?
(a) He is horrified.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He is sad.
2. Where do Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman land in Chapter 13?
(c) Buenos Aires.
3. What does Candide's tutor teach the children?
(a) Love is patient.
(b) There is no effect without a cause.
(c) The meek will inherit the earth.
(d) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
4. What does Candide do after seeing Cunégonde and the old woman?
(a) He sells them.
(b) He leaves them.
(c) He beats them.
(d) He buys their freedom.
5. Where does the Princess of Palestrina collapse after she escapes from the Moors?
(a) On the Emperor's bed.
(b) Under an orange tree.
(c) In a river.
(d) In a barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Candide and Martin do immediately upon arriving in Venice in Chapter 24?
2. Who is the Princess of Palestrina's father?
3. What does the Governor have a "furious lust" for?
4. What is the first village to which Candide goes immediately after he escapes from the Bulgarians?
5. What information does Pococurante think would be useful in scientific academy volumes?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)