|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many soldiers surround Cacambo and Candide at the border post?
2. Who does Pangloss ultimately blame for his current condition?
(a) Christopher Columbus.
(d) The Baron.
3. In Chapter 25, when does Candide say he will be the only happy man in the world?
(a) When he gets his diamonds back.
(b) When he is reunited with his Cunegonde.
(c) When he becomes a philosopher like Pangloss.
(d) When he can return to Westphalia.
4. How does Cunegonde's brother react to Candide's plan to marry Cunegonde?
(a) He is delighted that she will marry someone from Westphalia.
(b) He is surprised Candide will marry damaged goods.
(c) He is indifferent because of his priestly position.
(d) He is not pleased with the idea.
5. What does Cacambo explain to Candide about what happens in Chapter 16?
(a) Monkeys are sacred to the natives here.
(b) Candide has killed the girls' lovers.
(c) The girls were raised by monkeys.
(d) The girls are mutant monkeys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange sight do Cacambo and Candide witness running across the field in Chapter 16?
2. How does the man who found the old woman and spoke her language treat her?
3. Who survives the shipwreck?
4. What gives Candide a chance to escape the Bulgarians?
5. What are Cunégonde and the old woman doing when Candide first sees them again?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)