|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Candide and Martin are discussing philosophy?
(a) They see a seaman lift a young boy to see over the edge of the ship.
(b) They see a young maiden cry for help as a man attacks her.
(c) They see a ship attacked by pirates.
(d) They see the captain of their ship fall overboard.
2. What does Candide's new traveling partner to Bordeaux profess to be?
(a) A Protestant.
(b) An atheist.
(c) A Manichaean.
(d) A Jesuit.
3. What news does Candide give the Commandant of the Jesuit military?
(a) That Westphalia no longer exists.
(b) That the Bulgarians are coming.
(c) That Cunegonde is now his wife.
(d) His sister is alive and well.
4. In Chapter 2, after running away, Candide is caught and given what choice?
(a) Carrying baggage for the regiment or wearing a dress.
(b) Returning to the army or being torn apart by a bear.
(c) Death by hanging or 10 lashes every day for a year.
(d) Twelve bullets to the brain or 36 lashes by the regiment.
5. How do the survivors in Lisbon wet their bread?
(a) With their blood.
(b) With their tears.
(c) With wine.
(d) With milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the castle where Candide is raised?
2. Who does Cunégonde tell Candide has not survived the attack on the castle?
3. Why does Candide not want to tour France?
4. After leaving the castle, where does Candide fall asleep?
5. Where do Candide and Cacambo decide to go after they rule out going back to Cunégonde, going to Germany, and staying near the Oreillons?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)