|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Candide have that makes him still a rich man in Chapter 20?
(a) Diamonds and jewels in his pockets.
(b) Gold dust in his shoes.
(c) Letters of credit from Buenos Aires.
(d) A diamond as big as his fist.
2. Who does Candide kiss behind a screen?
(a) The chambermaid.
(b) The Baron's mother.
(d) The Baroness.
3. What is the man's occupation?
(a) He was a shoemaker.
(b) He was a musician.
(c) He was a merchant.
(d) He was a publisher.
4. Where does Candide take the beggar to feed him?
(a) The Bulgarians' house.
(b) His apartment.
(c) The bar.
(d) Jacques's stable.
5. Who does the old woman say her parents were?
(a) Archduke Ferdinand and his scullery maid.
(b) Baron Rothschild and the Princess of Monrovia.
(c) Pope Urban X and the Princess of Palestrina.
(d) Tsar Nicholas I and an English duchess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cunégonde's appearance when Candide finds her on the banks of Propontis?
2. Why does Cunégonde's brother not approve of Candide's plan to marry his sister?
3. Why is Candide put in charge of the Cadiz soldiers?
4. Why do the foreigners at the inn come to Venice?
5. Who is the second person Candide kills?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)