|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had happened to the young Baron after he recovered from the stab wound?
(a) He was taken prisoner in Buenos Aires.
(b) He was captured at sea.
(c) He was tossed out of the Jesuits.
(d) He was taken prisoner in Eldorado.
2. Why does Candide initially think Senator Pococurante is a happy man before Martin persuades him otherwise?
(a) The Senator is pleasant throughout their visit.
(b) The Senator is jovial and pours large glasses of wine.
(c) The Senator has art, music, and women.
(d) The Senator appears to gain pleasure in critiquing and criticizing art.
3. Who survives the shipwreck?
(a) All answers are correct.
(d) The sailor.
4. Why do the people who captured and bound Candide and Cacambo suspect that Candide is a Jesuit?
(a) Because he begins to pray when he is captured.
(b) Because he speaks the language of the Jesuits.
(c) Because he is still wearing the Commandant's robe.
(d) Because he has a necklace with a cross.
5. To whom does Candide give the two coins someone gave him in Chapter 3?
(a) A beggar.
(b) A hungry child.
(c) A fruit vender.
(d) A soldier with one leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the old woman and her mother had been on board a ship belonging to the Pope, what event occurred?
2. Why does the Spanish captain refuse to take Candide and Cacambo to Buenos Aires?
3. Who discovers Cunegonde and Candide behind the screen attempting Dr. Pangloss' experiment?
4. What happens to the Bicayan and the two Portuguese in the auto-da-fe that follows in Chapter 6?
5. What happens after Candide stabs Cunégonde's brother?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)