|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the war that France is fighting?
(a) In Constantinople.
(b) In Portugal.
(c) On the edge of Canada.
(d) In Paraguay.
2. As he is coming back from a party, what does Candide tell the abbé?
(a) He is sad that he has lost money playing cards.
(b) He feels guilty for cheating on his Cunégonde.
(c) He feels guilty for drinking too much wine.
(d) He has fallen in love with a young woman.
3. What angers the Baron when talking to Candide?
(a) Candide says he wishes the Baron were dead.
(b) Candide says he is going to marry Cunégonde.
(c) Candide calls him a bad name.
(d) Candide says he doesn't believe in God.
4. What is the cause of the gunfire that Candide and Martin hear while they are on the ship?
(a) Two sailors fighting.
(b) A gunpowder explosion in the berth.
(c) A rifle accident by the captain.
(d) Two ships fighting.
5. How does Cunegonde's brother react to Candide's plan to marry Cunegonde?
(a) He is delighted that she will marry someone from Westphalia.
(b) He is not pleased with the idea.
(c) He is surprised Candide will marry damaged goods.
(d) He is indifferent because of his priestly position.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the old woman's recollection in Chapter 12, what did the young man do the next day (after making a promise to the captive princess)?
2. What is Candide wearing when he and Cacambo escape after Candide kills Cunégonde's brother?
3. How much does Candide pay the Dutch captain?
4. What happens when Candide goes to court to complain about the ship's captain?
5. What does Candide tell the Commandant?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)