|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Candide do when Cunegonde's brother strikes him?
(a) Challenges him to a duel.
(b) refuses to tell him exactly where his sister is.
(c) Gets up and walks out.
(d) stabs him in the belly with his sword.
2. In Chapter 2, after running away, Candide is caught and given what choice?
(a) Twelve bullets to the brain or 36 lashes by the regiment.
(b) Returning to the army or being torn apart by a bear.
(c) Death by hanging or 10 lashes every day for a year.
(d) Carrying baggage for the regiment or wearing a dress.
3. What do Candide and Cacambo see when they rest in a field to eat during Chapter 16?
(a) A mouse who has build a tiny house.
(b) Two monkeys chasing two naked girls through the field.
(c) A parrot eating some berries and talking.
(d) Five men roasting a body in a cauldron.
4. Why does the Spanish captain refuse to take Candide and Cacambo to Buenos Aires?
(a) Because Cunégonde is the governor's favorite mistress.
(b) Because he thinks that Candide is a liar.
(c) Because he believes Candide will kill him.
(d) Because Candide does not have enough money.
5. Why is Candide kicked out of the castle?
(a) He is not succeeding at his studies.
(b) He is caught kissing Cunégonde..
(c) He is making advances on the maid.
(d) His mother has arrived and is unwelcome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Don Fernando d'Ibaraa y Figueora y Mascarenes y Lampourdos y Souza?
2. What does the local tribe want to do with Candide and Cacambo?
3. Who does the Bulgar captain sell Cunégonde to?
4. With what are the roads paved in the village at which Candide and Cacambo arrive in the rocky mountains?
5. How does Candide find the sea as compared to his journey to Lisbon?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)