|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bizarre action follows Candide's response to what he saw running across a field in Chapter 16?
(a) The girls are cradling the dead monkeys and crying.
(b) Local villagers run at Candide and Cacambo with sticks and pitchforks.
(c) The girls throw stones at the monkey's bodies.
(d) The girls run and fall down at Candide's feet.
2. Where do Candide and Martin land at the end of the chapter?
3. Of whom has Candide heard that is said to have never had a bad day in his life?
(a) Baron Bulgaria.
(b) Governor Westphalia.
(c) Senator Pococurante.
(d) The Grand Inquisitor.
4. Why does Candide decide to go to Venice?
(a) To wait while Cacambo retrieves Cunégonde.
(b) To meet new friends and find a new companion.
(c) To see more places in the world.
(d) To bring the riches of Eldorado to Venice.
5. What happens when the old woman, Candide, and Cunégonde stop at the inn?
(a) Someone steals Cunégonde's diamond and pistols.
(b) Cunégonde is raped and left for dead.
(c) Candide is robbed and beaten.
(d) The old woman is kidnapped.
Short Answer Questions
1. While working for the Boyar in Russia, what job does the Princess do?
2. What trade does Jacques teach Candide?
3. How does Candide finally get out of the country in Chapter 19?
4. What offer does Don Fernando make to Cunegonde?
5. Who arrives on the ship that pulls into the harbor while Cunégonde and the governor are speaking?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)