|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old woman tell Candide and Cunegonde in Chapter 9?
(a) That the police are coming.
(b) That she will take the balme for the murders.
(c) That they must burn down the house.
(d) That there are three horses in the stable.
2. What is the philosophy that Martin claims to follow?
3. How does Cunegonde's brother react to Candide's plan to marry Cunegonde?
(a) He is indifferent because of his priestly position.
(b) He is not pleased with the idea.
(c) He is delighted that she will marry someone from Westphalia.
(d) He is surprised Candide will marry damaged goods.
4. Why is Candide curious about the country with gold streets?
(a) Because he wants to become wealthy.
(b) Because it is so much better than Westphalia.
(c) because it is not on any maps.
(d) Because he has always heard about it.
5. Who does Candide kiss behind a screen?
(a) The chambermaid.
(b) The Baroness.
(d) The Baron's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Pangloss say to a survivor of the natural disaster in Lisbon?
2. Where do Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman land in Chapter 13?
3. Why is Candide beaten by the Bulgarians?
4. What do Candide and Cacambo find that takes them to the village in the mountains?
5. Why is Candide put in charge of the Cadiz soldiers?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)