|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Anabaptist in Chapter 5?
(a) He dies of the plague.
(b) He drowns.
(c) His throat is cut.
(d) He is sold as a slave.
2. In Chapter 8, what are Candide and Cunégonde doing when Mr. Issachar arrives?
(a) Having coffee.
(b) Eating dinner.
(d) Sitting on the couch.
3. What are the evils Candide's new traveling partner to Bordeaux says he has observed in the world?
(a) Murder, rape, and plunder.
(b) Lust, persecution, and slavery.
(c) Sickness, famine, and war.
(d) war, greed, and desire.
4. What does the King of Eldorado provide for Candide and Cacambo as they leave?
(a) An escort of 30 Eldorado soldiers to prevent robbery.
(b) Red sheep to ride on and 20 red sheep each to carry treasure.
(c) A large raft to carry them down the river.
(d) A flying carpet to carry them over the mountains.
5. What does Cunégonde say happened to her when the Bulgarians attacked?
(a) She says she was given food and shelter.
(b) She says she was forced to watch her mother's rape.
(c) She says she was raped and cut open.
(d) She says that mercifully nothing happened to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old woman reveal about her past in Chapter 10?
2. How much money does Jacques give Candide?
3. Who does Cunégonde see Pangloss with in the bushes?
4. How many times is Candide beaten on his first day of military service?
5. How are Candide and Pangloss rewarded for helping rebuild Lisbon?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)