|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the sole survivor of the sunken ship?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A treasure chest.
(c) One of Candide's red sheep.
(d) The captain.
2. What weather condition happens during the Anabaptists, Candide, and Pangloss' travel in Chapter 5?
(a) A heat wave.
(b) A storm.
(c) A snowfall.
(d) A tornado.
3. Why does Candide kill the Grand Inquisitor?
(a) He thinks the Grand Inquisitor has raped Cunégonde.
(b) He wants to have Cunégonde for his own slave.
(c) He wants to impress Cunégonde with his power.
(d) He believes the Grand Inquisitor will have him burned.
4. Running away from the scene of the murder, where do Cacambo and Candide stop to rest and eat in Chapter 16?
(a) In a field near a stream.
(b) Near a small mountain.
(c) In a small village.
(d) Across the border into Peru.
5. What happens to the Anabaptist in Chapter 5?
(a) He drowns.
(b) His throat is cut.
(c) He dies of the plague.
(d) He is sold as a slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is it proven that Candide is not a Jesuit?
2. Who is Don Fernando d'Ibaraa y Figueora y Mascarenes y Lampourdos y Souza?
3. Which group of people captures Candide and Cacambo, binds them, and threatens to eat them?
4. When the old woman and her mother had been on board a ship belonging to the Pope, what event occurred?
5. What does Candide tell Don Fernando about Cunegonde?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)