|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a reason that Candide kills the two monkeys who are chasing the girls?
(a) To absolve the murder of Cunégonde's brother.
(b) To absolve the murder of The Grand Inquisitor.
(c) To protect the women.
(d) To absolve the murder of Mr. Issachar.
2. Where does the sergeant say the Reverend Father Provincial has gone?
(a) To Buenos Aires.
(b) To visit his lover.
(c) To his mother's home.
(d) To the parade ground.
3. How many times is Candide beaten on his first day of military service?
4. How does the old woman describe the location where she was raised?
(a) Perched high on a mountaintop.
(b) As grand as the King's palace.
(c) Like a fortress with a wide moat around it.
(d) Much grander than that in Westphalia.
5. Why does Candide ask to be shot in the head?
(a) He saw someone hanged and does not want that.
(b) He says it as a joke not believing they will do it.
(c) There are 2,000 men in the regiment to give 36 lashes each.
(d) There is no hope for him to escape the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman flee?
2. Who heals Cunégonde's brother after he is left for dead at the castle?
3. How do the Anabaptists, Candide, and Pangloss travel to their destination in Chapter 5?
4. Who is the captain of the sunken ship?
5. What is Candide told after he drinks to the health of the king of Bulgaria?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)