|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the old woman's recollection in Chapter 12, what did the young man do the next day (after making a promise to the captive princess)?
(a) He was arrested and sent to prison.
(b) He left with the girl but was captured.
(c) He sold the girl as a slave.
(d) He caught the plague and died.
2. Who does the old lady pray to for Candide's health?
(a) Saint Anthony of Padua.
(b) Saint James of Compostella.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Our Lady of Atocha.
3. What happens to Candide immediately after he leaves the castle?
(a) He is taken in by his long lost aunt.
(b) He is beat up by some Bulgarians.
(c) He finds a beautiful bride.
(d) He wanders around and falls asleep in the snow.
4. What does Cunegonde talk about on the way to Buenos Aires?
(a) Her hardships.
(b) The future.
(c) Her luck.
(d) Her fortune.
5. What does Candide sell on the old woman's advice?
(a) A horse.
(b) A sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Candide walk the street and ask for charity after visiting the villages that have been pummeled?
2. Why is Candide beaten by the Bulgarians?
3. Why did the old woman never marry her true love, the Prince of Massa-Carrara?
4. Who does Pangloss ultimately blame for his current condition?
5. What does Candide see in the villages that the Bulgarians and their enemies have raided?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)