|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was going on in Africa at the time of the enslavement of the princess in Chapter 12?
(a) A civil war.
(b) A plague.
(c) The discovery of gold.
(d) Preparation to invade Spain.
2. Why did the old woman never marry her true love, the Prince of Massa-Carrara?
(a) His father forbade the marriage.
(b) A former mistress of his poisoned him.
(c) Her father went to war with the prince's father.
(d) He left her standing alone at the altar.
3. What happens after Candide gives away his coins in Chapter 4?
(a) The soldier curses him.
(b) The fruit vender cheats him.
(c) The hungry child kicks him.
(d) The beggar gives him a hug.
4. What does everyone who meets the Governor of Buenos Aires for the first time want to do to him?
(a) Pray for him.
(b) Hit him.
(c) Kiss him.
(d) Give him money.
5. Where are Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman when the bodies of Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor are found?
(a) About two miles from the house.
(b) The town of Avecena.
(c) Far out to sea.
(d) Saddling the horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trade does Jacques teach Candide?
2. What happens to Candide immediately after he leaves the castle?
3. What does the old woman reveal about her past in Chapter 10?
4. Who heals the women after the Russians attack the Janissaries?
5. Why does the captain kill the Bulgarian who is attacking Cunégonde?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)