|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How tall is Candide?
(a) Six feet tall.
(c) Five feet tall.
2. What is the result of Candide and Cunegonde getting caught behind the screen in Chapter 1?
(a) Candide and Cunegonde run away together.
(b) Dr. Pangloss is fired.
(c) Candide is kicked out of the castle.
(d) Cunegonde is forced to marry Candide.
3. Who does the Bulgar captain sell Cunégonde to?
(a) Don Issachar.
(b) An Anabaptist.
(c) A Muslim.
(d) The Grand Inquisitor.
4. In Chapter 2, after running away, Candide is caught and given what choice?
(a) Carrying baggage for the regiment or wearing a dress.
(b) Twelve bullets to the brain or 36 lashes by the regiment.
(c) Returning to the army or being torn apart by a bear.
(d) Death by hanging or 10 lashes every day for a year.
5. Who does the beggar tell Candide he is?
(a) A Bulgarian.
(b) The Baron.
(c) A prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of the first chapter?
2. What did the Janizaries do to the old woman when she was young and had been captured by them?
3. Why did the old woman never marry her true love, the Prince of Massa-Carrara?
4. How are Candide and Cunégonde reunited?
5. How are Candide and Pangloss paid for helping restore the city in Chapter 5?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)