|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pangloss and Candide walk around in Lisbon, what catastrophe strikes?
(a) An outbreak of the plague.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A hail storm.
(d) An invasion.
2. What happens to the Bicayan and the two Portuguese in the auto-da-fe that follows in Chapter 6?
(a) They are burned.
(b) They are hanged.
(c) They are beheaded.
(d) They are flogged.
3. The old woman says she once resembled who?
(b) The Venus de Medici.
4. In the old woman's story about her past, what indignity did the old woman and her mother suffer after the ship was seized?
(a) The were stripped naked and given rectal exams.
(b) They were raped and thrown overboard.
(c) They were taken to Spain and sold as slaves.
(d) They were made to work as sailors.
5. How is Candide punished as a prisoner in Lisbon?
(a) He is hung by his feet.
(b) He is flogged.
(c) He is hung by his arms.
(d) He is put on a rack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the old woman suspect is the thief?
2. What does the Anabaptist do for the crew of the boat?
3. Where is the fleet of ships that Candide, Cunégonde and the old woman join headed?
4. What happens when Candide learns that the Baron, his wife, and his son were murdered?
5. What is the setting of the first chapter?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)