|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the castle where Candide is raised?
(b) South America.
2. What does the old woman tell Candide and Cunegonde in Chapter 9?
(a) That the police are coming.
(b) That there are three horses in the stable.
(c) That they must burn down the house.
(d) That she will take the balme for the murders.
3. What happens when Candide hears that Cunegonde is dead?
(a) He faints.
(b) He cries.
(c) He argues.
(d) He curses.
4. Which of the following does Pangloss say to a survivor of the natural disaster in Lisbon?
(a) Life is a blessing.
(b) Happiness is what you make of it.
(c) Good things come to those who wait.
(d) Everything happens for a reason.
5. How does Candide kill Don Issachar?
(a) With a sword.
(b) He shoots him.
(c) By strangling him.
(d) He hits him over the head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Candide not know anything about his protector in Chapter 7?
2. Who noticed Cunegonde at church?
3. How do the survivors in Lisbon wet their bread?
4. What is the setting of the first chapter?
5. What has the old lady set out for Candide?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)