|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the captain kill the Bulgarian who is attacking Cunégonde?
(a) The captain is angry that the rapist did not kill Cunégonde.
(b) The captain is angry that the rapist did not stop to show respect for the captain.
(c) The captain does not kill the Bulgarian.
(d) The captain is angry that he didn't get Cunégonde first.
2. How many times does Candide make it through the gauntlet?
3. What does Pangloss lose after his treatment?
(a) Both ears.
(b) His nose.
(c) An eye and an ear.
(d) His chin.
4. What does the Baroness do to Cunégonde after Candide is expelled from the castle?
(a) She slaps her.
(b) She puts her in a dungeon.
(c) She sends her away.
(d) She apologizes to her.
5. What does Jacques do when Candide asks him for charity?
(a) Jacques tries to kill Candide.
(b) Jacques offers him food, coins, a place to stay, and a job.
(c) Jacques turns Candide over to the Bulgarians.
(d) Jacques tells him to go away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Candide's mother?
2. Who does the beggar tell Candide he is?
3. What does the old woman suggest should be done to make money?
4. What happened to Cunegonde after she was taken prisoner by the captain?
5. What does the beggar say is the reason for his affliction?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)