|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Candide not know anything about his protector in Chapter 7?
(a) The old man cannot hear or speak.
(b) The soldiers take his protector away.
(c) The old woman will not answer his questions.
(d) He is too polite to ask personal questions.
2. Why is Candide beaten by the Bulgarians?
(a) So he will learn the Bulgarian dances.
(b) So he won't run away again.
(c) So he won't divulge their secrets.
(d) So he can learn to be a soldier.
3. Why is Candide put in charge of the Cadiz soldiers?
(a) Because they are holding Cunegonde hostage.
(b) Because he is taller than the soldiers.
(c) Because the leader always gets killed.
(d) Because of his Bulgarian military training.
4. What is the country to which Candide walks after leaving Bulgaria?
5. After leaving the castle, where does Candide fall asleep?
(a) Under a haystack.
(b) In a snow-covered field.
(c) In a church.
(d) In a shop doorway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural event destroys the city of Lisbon?
2. Why does Candide ask to be shot in the head?
3. What town do Candide, Cunégonde, and the old woman reach before anyone realizes Mr. Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor are dead?
4. Where does Pangloss say his disease is making the most "progress"?
5. Why did the old woman never marry her true love, the Prince of Massa-Carrara?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)