|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Candide kill the Grand Inquisitor?
(a) He believes the Grand Inquisitor will have him burned.
(b) He wants to have Cunégonde for his own slave.
(c) He wants to impress Cunégonde with his power.
(d) He thinks the Grand Inquisitor has raped Cunégonde.
2. What is the name of Candide's tutor?
3. Who were the old woman's parents?
(a) Pope Urban X and the Princess of Palestrina.
(b) The Baron of Urbania and the Princess of Palestrina.
(c) The Baron of Palestrina and the Princess of Westphalia.
(d) The Baron and Baroness of Palestrina.
4. Who decides that the city needs an auto-da-fé?
(a) The sailor.
(d) The University of Coimbra.
5. Who discovers Cunegonde and Candide behind the screen attempting Dr. Pangloss' experiment?
(b) The Baron's son.
(c) The Baron.
(d) Dr. Pangloss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Candide forced to do after the murder of Issachar is discovered?
2. What happens to Candide immediately after he leaves the castle?
3. Who arranged the auto-da-fé, which results in the hanging of Pangloss?
4. Which of the following is something Candide does not experience in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Candide not act on his crush on Cunégonde?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)