|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Candide ask to be shot in the head?
(a) He says it as a joke not believing they will do it.
(b) He saw someone hanged and does not want that.
(c) There is no hope for him to escape the army.
(d) There are 2,000 men in the regiment to give 36 lashes each.
2. What does Candide see in the villages that the Bulgarians and their enemies have raided?
(a) He sees surgeons rescuing the attacked from dying.
(b) He sees dead and dying bodies in the villages raided by both sides.
(c) He sees that women have been spared by the Bulgarians.
(d) He sees dead bodies in villages only raided by the Bulgarians.
3. Which of the following does the old woman not provide to Candide while he is staying in her shack?
(a) A bed.
(d) A concubine.
4. What reaction do Candide and Cunégonde have when they reunite?
(a) Cunégonde faints and Candide catches her.
(b) They both faint.
(c) They embrace and kiss.
(d) They run away from each other.
5. How does Candide get in trouble with the Bulgarians?
(a) He goes for a walk.
(b) He fails to learn how to fight.
(c) He kisses one of their wives.
(d) He writes a letter to Cunégonde.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jacques act on the ship?
2. Why are Candide and Pangloss arrested in Portugal?
3. How much money does Jacques give Candide?
4. Why does the old lady say she is being kind to Candide?
5. Why are the two Portuguese arrested in Chapter 6?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)