|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the old lady say she is being kind to Candide?
(a) She is his aunt.
(b) She is Paquette.
(c) She is his mother.
(d) She doesn't tell him.
2. What does Jacques do when Candide asks him for charity?
(a) Jacques tells him to go away.
(b) Jacques tries to kill Candide.
(c) Jacques offers him food, coins, a place to stay, and a job.
(d) Jacques turns Candide over to the Bulgarians.
3. What is the solution which is developed to prevent further earthquakes?
(a) The sacrifice of twenty virgins.
(b) A ceremony in which people are burned to death.
(c) Building away from fault lines.
(d) The placement of secure structures where the earthquake struck.
4. What happens in Lima, Peru?
(a) There has been an earthquake there.
(b) There is a revolution.
(c) There is a fire.
(d) Cunégonde has been found there.
5. How much of Lisbon is destroyed by the earthquake?
(a) One quarter of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) Half of it.
(d) Three quarters of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What choice is Candide given for his punishment by the Bulgarians?
2. Why are Candide and Pangloss arrested in Portugal?
3. In Chapter 4, where does the Anabaptist take Candide and Pangloss?
4. What faith is Jacques?
5. What happens to the Anabaptist in Chapter 5?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)