|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Candide punished as a prisoner in Lisbon?
(a) He is flogged.
(b) He is hung by his arms.
(c) He is hung by his feet.
(d) He is put on a rack.
2. What does Jacques do when Candide asks him for charity?
(a) Jacques tells him to go away.
(b) Jacques offers him food, coins, a place to stay, and a job.
(c) Jacques turns Candide over to the Bulgarians.
(d) Jacques tries to kill Candide.
3. What condition does Cunégonde place on sharing the story of the Bulgarian attack with Candide?
(a) She says he must marry her.
(b) She says he must kiss her.
(c) She says he must pay her.
(d) She says he must tell her his story first.
4. What is the setting of the first chapter?
(a) The Castle of King Thunder-ten.
(b) The Castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh.
(c) The Village of Thuder-ten-trunk.
(d) The shack of Candide.
5. How does Jacques die?
(a) He contracts syphilis.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He is stabbed.
(d) He is poisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cunégonde see Pangloss with in the bushes?
2. Why does Candide ask to be shot in the head?
3. What has the old lady set out for Candide?
4. How many people are being punished in the auto-da-fé?
5. Where is the castle where Candide is raised?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)