|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Candide and Pangloss paid for helping restore the city in Chapter 5?
(a) A coin every day.
(b) With meals.
(c) A place to stay.
(d) A diamond each.
2. How does Candide get in trouble with the Bulgarians?
(a) He goes for a walk.
(b) He kisses one of their wives.
(c) He fails to learn how to fight.
(d) He writes a letter to Cunégonde.
3. Where does Pangloss say his disease is making the most "progress"?
(a) Among the French.
(b) Among the clergy.
(c) Among the Dutch.
(d) In the armies.
4. Where is the castle where Candide is raised?
(d) South America.
5. What gives Candide a chance to escape the Bulgarians?
(a) A snow storm.
(b) The chaos of war.
(c) A monk's habit he finds.
(d) A very dark night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pays for Pangloss' cure?
2. How many people die in the war between the Bulgars and the Avars?
3. Why is Candide beaten by the Bulgarians?
4. Who saves Candide from being killed by the Bulgarians?
5. In the war when thousands of men are killed, what does it cause Candide to do?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)