|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Candide get in trouble with the Bulgarians?
(a) He fails to learn how to fight.
(b) He goes for a walk.
(c) He kisses one of their wives.
(d) He writes a letter to Cunégonde.
2. What is the country to which Candide walks after leaving Bulgaria?
3. What is the setting of the first chapter?
(a) The Village of Thuder-ten-trunk.
(b) The Castle of King Thunder-ten.
(c) The shack of Candide.
(d) The Castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh.
4. Who offers Candide food, two coins, a place to stay, and a job in Chapter 3?
(a) An Anabaptist, named James.
(b) A Lutheran named Martin.
(c) A Rabbi named Isaac.
(d) A priest named Ignatius.
5. Where does Candide take the beggar to feed him?
(a) His apartment.
(b) The bar.
(c) The Bulgarians' house.
(d) Jacques's stable.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the castle, where does Candide fall asleep?
2. Which of the following is something Candide does not experience in Chapter 5?
3. How long does it take Candide's wounds to heal?
4. Why does Candide not act on his crush on Cunégonde?
5. How do the survivors in Lisbon wet their bread?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)