|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers Candide food, two coins, a place to stay, and a job in Chapter 3?
(a) A Rabbi named Isaac.
(b) A priest named Ignatius.
(c) A Lutheran named Martin.
(d) An Anabaptist, named James.
2. Who discovers Cunegonde and Candide behind the screen attempting Dr. Pangloss' experiment?
(a) The Baron's son.
(c) Dr. Pangloss.
(d) The Baron.
3. What does Pangloss lose after his treatment?
(a) His nose.
(b) An eye and an ear.
(c) His chin.
(d) Both ears.
4. What is Candide told after he drinks to the health of the king of Bulgaria?
(a) That he will be put into prison.
(b) That he is now a defender of Bulgarians.
(c) That he must become a Bulgarian citizen.
(d) That he has just become a Bulgarian slave.
5. What does Candide give the beggar when he sees him on the street?
(a) A piece of bread.
(b) A job.
(c) A slap in the face.
(d) The two coins Jacques gave him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Candide and Pangloss paid for helping restore the city in Chapter 5?
2. What is the result of Candide and Cunegonde getting caught behind the screen in Chapter 1?
3. After leaving the castle, where does Candide fall asleep?
4. What happens to Candide immediately after he leaves the castle?
5. How do the men help train Candide to be a stronger soldier?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)