|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Candide initially think Senator Pococurante is a happy man before Martin persuades him otherwise?
(a) The Senator is jovial and pours large glasses of wine.
(b) The Senator is pleasant throughout their visit.
(c) The Senator has art, music, and women.
(d) The Senator appears to gain pleasure in critiquing and criticizing art.
2. How long do Candide and Martin argue while on board the ship?
(a) Six months.
(b) Four years.
(c) One day.
(d) Two weeks.
3. What does Martin suggest Cacambo has done after they don't hear from him for while in Venice?
(a) kept the jewels, bought a kingdom, and married Cunegonde.
(b) Drowned at sea.
(c) Settled down in Buenos Aires.
(d) Returned to stay in Eldorado.
4. What happens when Candide goes to the court to report the captain who stole his sheep and riches?
(a) The captain is arrested.
(b) Candide is rewarded.
(c) Candide is fined.
(d) Candide is arrested.
5. When did the man who found the old woman and spoke her language first meet her?
(a) When she was eighteen.
(b) Under the orange tree.
(c) Before she was six.
(d) After her father died.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whose death does the beggar report?
2. What is Candide's destination?
3. What happens the morning after Candide's rescue?
4. Who is the second person Candide kills?
5. What is the Senator's attitude toward his vast book collection in Chapter 25?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)