|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the man who found the old woman and spoke her language first meet her?
(a) After her father died.
(b) When she was eighteen.
(c) Under the orange tree.
(d) Before she was six.
2. Why does Candide ask to be shot in the head?
(a) There are 2,000 men in the regiment to give 36 lashes each.
(b) He saw someone hanged and does not want that.
(c) He says it as a joke not believing they will do it.
(d) There is no hope for him to escape the army.
3. What is the horror Cunegonde's brother relates to Candide in Chapter 15?
(a) He was enslaved for many years.
(b) He witnessed his sister's rape and the murder of his parents.
(c) He was raped by the Bulgarian regiment.
(d) He was forced to kill his mother.
4. Why is Candide still optimistic after meeting Senator Pococurante?
(a) He believes that happiness comes through prayer.
(b) He thinks that Senator Pococurante's criticism is an act.
(c) He believes he will be the only happy man when he marries Cunégonde.
(d) He thinks that Martin and he can find another happy man.
5. To what lot was the old woman born?
(a) She was born a baroness.
(b) She was born a maid.
(c) She was born a slave.
(d) She was born a princess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sole survivor of the sunken ship?
2. What happens to Candide immediately after he leaves the castle?
3. Which character believes "God has forsaken Earth and it is instead controlled by something more evil"?
4. Where do Candide and Cacambo decide to go after they rule out going back to Cunégonde, going to Germany, and staying near the Oreillons?
5. What does Pangloss lose after his treatment?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)