|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Candide told after he drinks to the health of the king of Bulgaria?
(a) That he is now a defender of Bulgarians.
(b) That he has just become a Bulgarian slave.
(c) That he will be put into prison.
(d) That he must become a Bulgarian citizen.
2. Why does the Spanish captain refuse to take Candide and Cacambo to Buenos Aires?
(a) Because he thinks that Candide is a liar.
(b) Because he believes Candide will kill him.
(c) Because Candide does not have enough money.
(d) Because Cunégonde is the governor's favorite mistress.
3. What do Candide and Martin do when they first get to Venice?
(a) Eat a huge dinner.
(b) Meet up with Cunégonde.
(c) Send word for Cacambo.
(d) Buy a boat.
4. What do the Janissaries eat when they are under attack?
(a) Two eunuchs and two buttocks.
(b) Bread and cheese.
(c) Eggs and bacon.
(d) Two slaves.
5. Who does Candide bribe to escape prison in Paris?
(a) The police.
(b) The inquisitor.
(c) The governor.
(d) The abbé.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened the man who found the old woman and spoke her language when he was a child?
2. How much money does Candide give to the beggar?
3. What is unusual about the roads Candide and Cacambo find as they climb into the mountains in Chapter 17?
4. What does Candide's new traveling partner to Bordeaux profess to be?
5. How long do Candide and Martin wait in Venice without word of Cacambo?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)