|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Candide ask to be shot in the head?
(a) There are 2,000 men in the regiment to give 36 lashes each.
(b) He says it as a joke not believing they will do it.
(c) He saw someone hanged and does not want that.
(d) There is no hope for him to escape the army.
2. How does Jacques act on the ship?
(a) He tries to get the sailors lost.
(b) He reads the whole time.
(c) He helps the crew.
(d) He sulks.
3. Who survives the shipwreck?
(a) All answers are correct.
(d) The sailor.
4. Whose health do the soldiers make Candide drink to?
(a) The Baron.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The King of the Avars.
(d) The King of the Bulgars.
5. How does Jacques die?
(a) He is poisoned.
(b) He is stabbed.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He contracts syphilis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacques say mankind has become like?
2. Who does Pangloss ultimately blame for his current condition?
3. How are Candide and Cunégonde reunited?
4. How does Candide escape?
5. On whose death does the beggar report?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)