|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Cunégonde tell Candide has not survived the attack on the castle?
(a) Her mother.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
2. Where does Pangloss say his disease is making the most "progress"?
(a) Among the clergy.
(b) Among the French.
(c) Among the Dutch.
(d) In the armies.
3. How are Candide and Pangloss paid for helping restore the city in Chapter 5?
(a) A diamond each.
(b) With meals.
(c) A coin every day.
(d) A place to stay.
4. What happens in Lisbon after the shipwreck?
(a) There is a tidal wave.
(b) There is an eclipse.
(c) There is a fire.
(d) There is an earthquake.
5. What does the beggar say is the reason for his affliction?
(a) Intimate relations with Cunégonde.
(b) Intimate relations with the maid.
(c) A disease brought by the Bulgarians.
(d) Something that he ate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the inn where Candide stops located?
2. What happens after Candide gives away his coins in Chapter 4?
3. What happens in the evening of the third day after Candide is rescued?
4. Where does the old woman suggest Candide and Cunegonde go in Chapter 9?
5. What natural event destroys the city of Lisbon?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)