|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Pangloss say to a survivor of the natural disaster in Lisbon?
(a) Happiness is what you make of it.
(b) Life is a blessing.
(c) Good things come to those who wait.
(d) Everything happens for a reason.
2. How does Candide justify the murders he committed?
(a) He believes otherwise Cunégonde would have been harmed.
(b) He believes otherwise he would have been taken into slavery.
(c) He believes otherwise the old woman would have been killed.
(d) He believes otherwise Mr. Issachar would have killed the Grand Inquisitor.
3. Why does the old lady say she is being kind to Candide?
(a) She is his mother.
(b) She is his aunt.
(c) She is Paquette.
(d) She doesn't tell him.
4. On whose death does the beggar report?
(a) The Bulgarian army.
(b) Cunégonde, the Baron, Baroness, and Baron's son.
(c) The Baroness and her sister.
5. Who is the second person Candide kills?
(b) The Grand Inquisitor.
(c) The old lady.
(d) A beggar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cunégonde say happened to her when the Bulgarians attacked?
2. Where is the inn where Candide stops located?
3. Where are Candide, Cunegonde, and the old woman when the bodies of Issachar and the Grand Inquisitor are found?
4. How does Jacques die?
5. What does Jacques say mankind has become like?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)