|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Candide and Pangloss paid for helping restore the city in Chapter 5?
(a) A coin every day.
(b) A place to stay.
(c) A diamond each.
(d) With meals.
2. How does Candide kill Don Issachar?
(a) With a sword.
(b) He shoots him.
(c) He hits him over the head.
(d) By strangling him.
3. What condition does Cunégonde place on sharing the story of the Bulgarian attack with Candide?
(a) She says he must tell her his story first.
(b) She says he must marry her.
(c) She says he must kiss her.
(d) She says he must pay her.
4. Why does Candide not know anything about his protector in Chapter 7?
(a) The soldiers take his protector away.
(b) The old woman will not answer his questions.
(c) He is too polite to ask personal questions.
(d) The old man cannot hear or speak.
5. What happens in Lisbon after the shipwreck?
(a) There is a fire.
(b) There is an eclipse.
(c) There is a tidal wave.
(d) There is an earthquake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns to the house to find Mr. Issachar dead?
2. What color are the soldiers that Candide meets wearing?
3. Who saves Candide from being killed by the Bulgarians?
4. How does Candide justify the murders he committed?
5. How does Candide escape?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)