|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the castle, where does Candide fall asleep?
(a) Under a haystack.
(b) In a church.
(c) In a snow-covered field.
(d) In a shop doorway.
2. How does Jacques die?
(a) He is poisoned.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He is stabbed.
(d) He contracts syphilis.
3. What is Cunégonde wearing when she meets Candide again?
(a) A suit of armor.
(b) A san benito.
(d) Heavy blankets.
4. Why does Candide not know anything about his protector in Chapter 7?
(a) The soldiers take his protector away.
(b) The old woman will not answer his questions.
(c) He is too polite to ask personal questions.
(d) The old man cannot hear or speak.
5. In Chapter 2, after running away, Candide is caught and given what choice?
(a) Returning to the army or being torn apart by a bear.
(b) Death by hanging or 10 lashes every day for a year.
(c) Twelve bullets to the brain or 36 lashes by the regiment.
(d) Carrying baggage for the regiment or wearing a dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacques say mankind has become like?
2. What does the old woman tell Candide and Cunegonde in Chapter 9?
3. For what position does Jacques hire the beggar?
4. How does Candide kill Don Issachar?
5. How much money does Candide give to the beggar?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)