|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Candide and Martin are discussing philosophy?
(a) They see the captain of their ship fall overboard.
(b) They see a ship attacked by pirates.
(c) They see a young maiden cry for help as a man attacks her.
(d) They see a seaman lift a young boy to see over the edge of the ship.
2. In Waldberghofftrarbk-dikdorff, who offers Candide food and drink?
(a) Two men.
(b) A priest.
(c) A charwoman.
(d) Dr. Pangloss.
3. What do Candide and Cunegonde's brother do for a long time in Chapter 14?
(a) have a conversation.
(b) Make a marriage pact for Candide and Cunegonde.
(c) argue about Candide's treatment in Westphalia.
(d) Plan how to defeat the Spanish.
4. How does Martin further Candide's depression after they land in Venice?
(a) He tells him that Cunégonde is seriously disfigured.
(b) He tells him that Cunégonde is dead.
(c) He tells him that he should not have trusted Cacambo, a half-breed, to go off and fetch his love.
(d) He says that Cacambo must have died of a horrible disease.
5. Who returns to the house to find Mr. Issachar dead?
(a) The old woman.
(b) The Grand Inquisitor.
(c) The Bulgarian soldier.
(d) The Baron's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacques say mankind has become like?
2. How do the survivors in Lisbon wet their bread?
3. What do Candide and Martin do immediately upon arriving in Venice in Chapter 24?
4. What is finally revealed about Senator Pococurante in Chapter 25?
5. What condition does Cunégonde place on sharing the story of the Bulgarian attack with Candide?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)