|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cunégonde say happened to her when the Bulgarians attacked?
(a) She says that mercifully nothing happened to her.
(b) She says she was raped and cut open.
(c) She says she was given food and shelter.
(d) She says she was forced to watch her mother's rape.
2. After leaving the castle, where does Candide fall asleep?
(a) Under a haystack.
(b) In a church.
(c) In a shop doorway.
(d) In a snow-covered field.
3. What happens to the Anabaptist in Chapter 5?
(a) He dies of the plague.
(b) His throat is cut.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He is sold as a slave.
4. What reaction do Candide and Cunégonde have when they reunite?
(a) They run away from each other.
(b) They both faint.
(c) They embrace and kiss.
(d) Cunégonde faints and Candide catches her.
5. What happens after Candide gives away his coins in Chapter 4?
(a) The soldier curses him.
(b) The beggar gives him a hug.
(c) The fruit vender cheats him.
(d) The hungry child kicks him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times is Candide beaten on his first day of military service?
2. How many times does Candide make it through the gauntlet?
3. Who returns to the house to find Mr. Issachar dead?
4. What does the old woman tell Candide and Cunegonde in Chapter 9?
5. How does Candide get in trouble with the Bulgarians?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)