|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Candide find the sea as compared to his journey to Lisbon?
(d) More peaceful.
2. On whose death does the beggar report?
(b) Cunégonde, the Baron, Baroness, and Baron's son.
(c) The Baroness and her sister.
(d) The Bulgarian army.
3. What happens when Candide and Cacambo try to pay for their lunch with the jewels they have found?
(a) The townspeople begin to surround them and demand they hand over the jewels.
(b) They are laughed at because jewels are not seen as currency.
(c) The server graciously accepts their generous gift.
(d) The other patrons beg for their help to escape Eldorado.
4. What does Candide do after being put in charge of the Cadiz soldiers?
(a) He leaves with Cunegonde, the old woman, and two servants.
(b) He demands a salary they cannot afford in Cadiz.
(c) He buys a large house for Cunegonde and him to live in.
(d) He arranges for a marriage to Cunegonde.
5. For whose side does Cacambo encourage Candide to fight?
(a) The Portuguese.
(b) The Spaniards.
(c) The Jesuits.
(d) The Bulgarians.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the old woman share her name with Candide?
2. Who is the Commandant?
3. Why do Candide and Cacambo decide not to stay in that area where they narrowly escaped being cooked and eaten?
4. Why does Candide decide not to go to Germany in Chapter 17?
5. What happens when Candide learns that the Baron, his wife, and his son were murdered?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)