|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in the evening of the third day after Candide is rescued?
(a) The old woman does not return with his supper.
(b) The old man hits him in the head and ties him up.
(c) The old woman returns and asks that he follow her.
(d) The soldiers give up looking for him.
2. What are the people of Cadiz doing in Chapter 10?
(a) Putting together an army.
(b) Building new houses.
(c) Having a religious service.
(d) Having a fiesta.
3. What does Cunégonde say happened to her when the Bulgarians attacked?
(a) She says she was given food and shelter.
(b) She says she was forced to watch her mother's rape.
(c) She says that mercifully nothing happened to her.
(d) She says she was raped and cut open.
4. Why does Candide decide not to go to Germany in Chapter 17?
(a) To avoid being hanged for killing the Grand Inquisitor.
(b) To avoid the war between the Bulgarians and the Abares.
(c) To avoid being eaten by the Oreillons.
(d) To avoid being burned for killing Cunégonde's brother.
5. With what are the roads paved in the village at which Candide and Cacambo arrive in the rocky mountains?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Candide and Cacambo decide not to stay in that area where they narrowly escaped being cooked and eaten?
2. What condition does Cunégonde place on sharing the story of the Bulgarian attack with Candide?
3. Who is Cacambo?
4. What does Candide sell on the old woman's advice?
5. Fleeing the Spanish who are looking for the murderer of the Grand Inquisitor, where do Candide and Cacambo head in Chapter 14?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)