|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Cunegonde tell Candide had happened to her?
(a) She was stabbed and raped.
(b) She was protected by a Bulgarian captain.
(c) She fainted, and when she woke up everyone was dead.
(d) She hid in the castle cellar and escaped.
2. What does Candide wear during his escape?
(a) Women's clothes.
(b) A Jesuit robe.
(c) A suit of armor.
(d) An Oreillon costume.
3. Why does Cunégonde's brother not approve of Candide's plan to marry his sister?
(a) He does not think Candide has enough money or importance to marry her.
(b) He thinks that Cunégonde does not love Candide.
(c) He thinks Cunégonde is not worthy of Candide's attention.
(d) He thinks Candide will try to kill Cunégonde.
4. Why is Candide told the individual in Chapter 23 was being executed?
(a) Because he was a French spy.
(b) because he did not kill enough Frenchmen.
(c) Because he was too old to go back to sea.
(d) because he accidentally sank a British ship.
5. In Chapter 8, what are Candide and Cunégonde doing when Mr. Issachar arrives?
(a) Having coffee.
(b) Sitting on the couch.
(c) Eating dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ship are Candide and Martin passengers on?
2. What do the English think about killing an admiral every once in a while?
3. What is the horror Cunegonde's brother relates to Candide in Chapter 15?
4. Why was the man executed in England?
5. What angers the Baron when talking to Candide?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)