|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What positive point does a spectator say executions have in England?
(a) To keep leaders motivated.
(b) To serve as entertainment purposes.
(c) To keep the guillotine sharp.
(d) To keep a positive morale.
2. Where do Candide and Martin end up after Paris?
(b) Portsmouth, England.
(d) Madrid, Spain.
3. What happened to Cunegonde after she was taken prisoner by the captain?
(a) The Bulgarian sells her to a Jewish man.
(b) The Bulgarian marries her.
(c) The Bulgarian is killed and she escapes.
(d) The Bulgarian sends her away.
4. How does Cunegonde's brother react to Candide's plan to marry Cunegonde?
(a) He is surprised Candide will marry damaged goods.
(b) He is delighted that she will marry someone from Westphalia.
(c) He is indifferent because of his priestly position.
(d) He is not pleased with the idea.
5. Why does Cunégonde's brother not approve of Candide's plan to marry his sister?
(a) He does not think Candide has enough money or importance to marry her.
(b) He thinks Cunégonde is not worthy of Candide's attention.
(c) He thinks Candide will try to kill Cunégonde.
(d) He thinks that Cunégonde does not love Candide.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many priests has Candide killed?
2. Where does Cunégonde see Candide for the first time after their separation?
3. What is Candide's reaction to the execution he sees in England?
4. Who heals Cunégonde's brother after he is left for dead at the castle?
5. Why was the man executed in England?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)