|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the ________ was exiled as well and lost her daughter in the process.
2. How old is the doctor whose house Donstova visits at the start of this section?
3. The idea of _______ socialism is something that Shulubin promotes when he is talking with Oleg about his past and the future.
4. Who believes the purpose of the rounds is to help cheer the patients up during their stay?
5. Who is the surgeon that operates on Dyomka's back during the story, according to the text?
Essay Topic 1
Oleg seems to be a bit of a playboy on the ward, falling in love with several women.
Part 1: Do you think a cancer ward is the best place for a person to find love?
Part 2: How do you think a person could create a healthy relationship in a hospital?
Part 3: Do you think patients should strike up relationships with their health care workers?
Essay Topic 2
Dontsova has a thesis in progress, but she does not have the time to work on it because of her work in the cancer ward.
Part 1: Do you think that a thesis is something that should be more important than work?
Part 2: How do you think Dontsova might improve her work as a doctor if she were to be able to finish her thesis?
Part 3: Why do you think Dontsova doesn't have the time to complete it?
Essay Topic 3
Zoya knows that she wants to have a better life than the one that her family has had.
Part 1: Do you think that all people want to have a better life than those who came before them?
Part 2: How do you think you could improve your life right now?
Part 3: Is it possible to always create a new life, one that is different from one's parents?
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)