|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pavel hints at the fact that Shulubin is not a _________, to which Shulubin responds 'on the contrary.'
2. What are doctors expecting Pavel to develop at any moment of his current treatment program?
3. Oleg protests with the transfusion he is about to be given because he believes the blood is _________.
4. What is the phrase that Aviette believes is improper to use when she is talking with her father?
5. Who walks the halls because he cannot sleep in his bed before he is released?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Kadmins, friends of Oleg, exiled from their home as well in the past?
2. What does Dontsova tell Vera to do when Oleg is given permission to go home?
3. What is supposed to be all the rage in Moscow, according to the surgeon?
4. What does Dyomka make Oleg promise to do when he is released from the ward?
5. What are physicians and nurses not allowed to do with the patients, according to the text?
6. What does Lev tell Oleg about women and how they affect men in their lives?
7. What does Dyomka's surgeon have to do immediately after the surgery at the start of this section?
8. What happens because Dontsova is a doctor who is seeking medical testing and evaluation?
9. What have Pavel and Oleg decided to do at this point of the story instead of argue with each other?
10. Why does the zoo end up depressing Oleg when he is finally able to go there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oleg gives a series of lectures to the other patients in the ward, which helps to inform them of different treatments.
Part 1: Why do you think Oleg decides to spend his energy on giving lectures?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients are benefited by the lectures, aside from the information?
Part 3: Do you think it strange that a patient would be giving lectures on health?
Essay Topic 2
Vadim has an important discovery to share with the world, so he makes it his life mission to use every moment he has.
Part 1: Do you think that everyone has something important to contribute to the world?
Part 2: How do you think that Vadim's cancer is impacting his work?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to value every moment in one's life?
Essay Topic 3
Zoya knows that she wants to have a better life than the one that her family has had.
Part 1: Do you think that all people want to have a better life than those who came before them?
Part 2: How do you think you could improve your life right now?
Part 3: Is it possible to always create a new life, one that is different from one's parents?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)