|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the surgeon that operates on Dyomka's back during the story, according to the text?
2. Out of the five doctors who are receiving pay, how many of them are capable of operating on patients?
3. What department does Dontsova turn over to Vera when she travels away from the hospital?
4. Who tells Oleg it would have been better to be in the prison camp than to be one who acted as a witness against those going to prison camps?
5. What has Aviette brought for her father that were approved by the state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the opinion that Dontsova has of socialized medicine about which the other doctor realizes he cannot sway her?
2. What does Dyomka's surgeon have to do immediately after the surgery at the start of this section?
3. What does Oleg want to know about the hormone therapy that he is taking?
4. What happens as soon as Dontsova goes into the house of Dr. Oreshchenkov?
5. What is the current health status of Vadim at the beginning of this section when Dyomka moves?
6. What have Pavel and Oleg decided to do at this point of the story instead of argue with each other?
7. Why has Dr. Oreshchenkov been jailed and punished many times during his medical career?
8. What is happening with the treatment for Vadim according to the text in this chapter?
9. What does Oleg believe of exile in general, according to his own admission in this section?
10. What is the worry of Dontsova as Pavel continues to have injections in his treatment plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dontsova is committed to the healing of her patients, using up her energy and her time to help them before helping herself.
Part 1: Why do you think some doctors are committed to their patients and others are not?
Part 2: How do you think a patient might be able to find a helpful doctor?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be as concerned about their patients as Dontsova?
Essay Topic 2
Oleg gives a series of lectures to the other patients in the ward, which helps to inform them of different treatments.
Part 1: Why do you think Oleg decides to spend his energy on giving lectures?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients are benefited by the lectures, aside from the information?
Part 3: Do you think it strange that a patient would be giving lectures on health?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel and his wife claim to love people, but they do not want to be too close to them.
Part 1: Can you love a person without being close to them?
Part 2: How do you think Pavel and his wife define the idea of love in relation to others?
Part 3: Do you think that you can love people without wanting to be close to them?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)