|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dontsova believes that ________ medicine is always the better option for those who need health care.
2. Many had to simply agree with the _______ in order to protect themselves and their families.
3. Who does Oleg recognize in the crowd at the train station so he makes sure he gets on the train last?
4. Dr. Oreshchenkov is a doctor who has been jailed a number of times because he wanted to have a _______________.
5. Oleg becomes depressed when he realizes that he cannot ________ anything that he wants.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened during the amnesty time to the person who led to the exile of the Kadmins?
2. What does Dyomka make Oleg promise to do when he is released from the ward?
3. What is the current health status of Vadim at the beginning of this section when Dyomka moves?
4. What happens when Oleg goes to visit Vera at her home once he is released?
5. What happens as soon as Dontsova goes into the house of Dr. Oreshchenkov?
6. What is supposed to be all the rage in Moscow, according to the surgeon?
7. What is the situation of the orderly with whom Oleg talks in the halls when he cannot sleep?
8. What happens because Dontsova is a doctor who is seeking medical testing and evaluation?
9. What does Lev tell Oleg about women and how they affect men in their lives?
10. What is happening with the treatment for Vadim according to the text in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vadim has an important discovery to share with the world, so he makes it his life mission to use every moment he has.
Part 1: Do you think that everyone has something important to contribute to the world?
Part 2: How do you think that Vadim's cancer is impacting his work?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to value every moment in one's life?
Essay Topic 2
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
Essay Topic 3
The doctors and nurses have a no-nonsense attitude toward Pavel and his outbursts about how he is being treated.
Part 1: Why do you think Pavel wanted to report the care of the doctors and nurses?
Part 2: Do you think that Pavel has a case against the doctors and nurses? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a doctor and nurse should treat a patient who might be dying?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)