|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not agree that justice was done in terms of the truck driver situation?
2. What color is Dyomka when he gets out of surgery for his back?
3. What are doctors expecting Pavel to develop at any moment of his current treatment program?
4. Who is the new neighbor of Pavel beside him in the hospital room?
5. Dontsova believes that ________ medicine is always the better option for those who need health care.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oleg want to know about the hormone therapy that he is taking?
2. What does Oleg believe of exile in general, according to his own admission in this section?
3. How did Dr. Oreshchenkov finally begin to have his private practice?
4. Why does the zoo end up depressing Oleg when he is finally able to go there?
5. What does Dyomka make Oleg promise to do when he is released from the ward?
6. What is the opinion that Dontsova has of socialized medicine about which the other doctor realizes he cannot sway her?
7. What happened during the amnesty time to the person who led to the exile of the Kadmins?
8. What have Pavel and Oleg decided to do at this point of the story instead of argue with each other?
9. What does Lev believe the purpose of the rounds are, so he makes sure to act accordingly?
10. What happens during a smoke break in a private room after the rounds are completed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dontsova has a thesis in progress, but she does not have the time to work on it because of her work in the cancer ward.
Part 1: Do you think that a thesis is something that should be more important than work?
Part 2: How do you think Dontsova might improve her work as a doctor if she were to be able to finish her thesis?
Part 3: Why do you think Dontsova doesn't have the time to complete it?
Essay Topic 2
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
Essay Topic 3
Oleg seems to be a bit of a playboy on the ward, falling in love with several women.
Part 1: Do you think a cancer ward is the best place for a person to find love?
Part 2: How do you think a person could create a healthy relationship in a hospital?
Part 3: Do you think patients should strike up relationships with their health care workers?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)