|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who disagrees with Aviette when she is talking with her father?
2. What are doctors expecting Pavel to develop at any moment of his current treatment program?
3. Oleg becomes depressed when he realizes that he cannot ________ anything that he wants.
4. Whose mother has found the special treatment for his cancer, and she is sending it through channels?
5. Who begins to make preparations for a card game with Pavel and the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening with the treatment for Vadim according to the text in this chapter?
2. What happens during a smoke break in a private room after the rounds are completed?
3. What does Lev tell Oleg about women and how they affect men in their lives?
4. What does Dyomka make Oleg promise to do when he is released from the ward?
5. What happened when Oleg was assigned to the new place, exiled to live there forever by the government?
6. How did Dr. Oreshchenkov finally begin to have his private practice?
7. What is the situation of the orderly with whom Oleg talks in the halls when he cannot sleep?
8. What does Oleg want to know about the hormone therapy that he is taking?
9. Why has Dr. Oreshchenkov been jailed and punished many times during his medical career?
10. What happens because Dontsova is a doctor who is seeking medical testing and evaluation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vadim has an important discovery to share with the world, so he makes it his life mission to use every moment he has.
Part 1: Do you think that everyone has something important to contribute to the world?
Part 2: How do you think that Vadim's cancer is impacting his work?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to value every moment in one's life?
Essay Topic 2
Oleg gives a series of lectures to the other patients in the ward, which helps to inform them of different treatments.
Part 1: Why do you think Oleg decides to spend his energy on giving lectures?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients are benefited by the lectures, aside from the information?
Part 3: Do you think it strange that a patient would be giving lectures on health?
Essay Topic 3
Dontsova is committed to the healing of her patients, using up her energy and her time to help them before helping herself.
Part 1: Why do you think some doctors are committed to their patients and others are not?
Part 2: How do you think a patient might be able to find a helpful doctor?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be as concerned about their patients as Dontsova?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)