|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor decide he wants to do for Dontsova after listening to her symptoms?
2. What does the woman from #138 want from Dyomka after she learns about her breast?
3. Who goes with the doctors on the rounds to see the patients during the day?
4. What are doctors expecting Pavel to develop at any moment of his current treatment program?
5. When ________ comes back, Oleg decides to have the transfusion anyway since he trusts this person more.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Dr. Oreshchenkov finally begin to have his private practice?
2. Why has Dr. Oreshchenkov been jailed and punished many times during his medical career?
3. What is the current health status of Vadim at the beginning of this section when Dyomka moves?
4. What happens when Oleg goes to visit Vera at her home once he is released?
5. What does Dyomka make Oleg promise to do when he is released from the ward?
6. What is the worry of Dontsova as Pavel continues to have injections in his treatment plan?
7. What is happening with the treatment for Vadim according to the text in this chapter?
8. What happens during a smoke break in a private room after the rounds are completed?
9. What does Dontsova tell Vera to do when Oleg is given permission to go home?
10. What happened during the amnesty time to the person who led to the exile of the Kadmins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
Essay Topic 2
Oleg seems to be a bit of a playboy on the ward, falling in love with several women.
Part 1: Do you think a cancer ward is the best place for a person to find love?
Part 2: How do you think a person could create a healthy relationship in a hospital?
Part 3: Do you think patients should strike up relationships with their health care workers?
Essay Topic 3
In his cancer treatment, Pavel is able to wear different things that the other patients, as well as to use a private room.
Part 1: Do you think that cancer can be treated more easily when a patient has certain creature comforts?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients felt about Pavel having the extra attention and perks?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel felt that he needed to have better treatment than the other patients?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)