|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the surgeon that operates on Dyomka's back during the story, according to the text?
2. ___________ is told to go to Moscow in order to get her testing done because she is one of the doctors.
3. Which animal was removed from the cage when a visitor harmed them?
4. Vera finds out that Oleg gets a ________ from Zoya every morning.
5. What does Chaly offer to give to Pavel if Pavel gives him his phone number?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Oleg goes to visit Vera at her home once he is released?
2. What does Dyomka's surgeon have to do immediately after the surgery at the start of this section?
3. What is the opinion that Dontsova has of socialized medicine about which the other doctor realizes he cannot sway her?
4. Why is Dyomka moved out of the cancer ward at the beginning of this section?
5. What happened when Oleg was assigned to the new place, exiled to live there forever by the government?
6. What does Oleg believe of exile in general, according to his own admission in this section?
7. What does Dontsova tell Vera to do when Oleg is given permission to go home?
8. What are physicians and nurses not allowed to do with the patients, according to the text?
9. What happens because Dontsova is a doctor who is seeking medical testing and evaluation?
10. What is happening with the treatment for Vadim according to the text in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctors and nurses are unable to tell the patients that they are dying, even if that information is in their medical records.
Part 1: Why do you think telling patients about their health is not allowed?
Part 2: Would you want to know if you were dying? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think not telling the patients they are dying helps those on the cancer ward?
Essay Topic 2
Vadim has an important discovery to share with the world, so he makes it his life mission to use every moment he has.
Part 1: Do you think that everyone has something important to contribute to the world?
Part 2: How do you think that Vadim's cancer is impacting his work?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to value every moment in one's life?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel and his wife claim to love people, but they do not want to be too close to them.
Part 1: Can you love a person without being close to them?
Part 2: How do you think Pavel and his wife define the idea of love in relation to others?
Part 3: Do you think that you can love people without wanting to be close to them?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)