|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides that Oleg should not see Vera so he is told that she is not there?
2. Who tells Oleg it would have been better to be in the prison camp than to be one who acted as a witness against those going to prison camps?
3. Oleg protests with the transfusion he is about to be given because he believes the blood is _________.
4. What color is Dyomka when he gets out of surgery for his back?
5. What does the doctor decide he wants to do for Dontsova after listening to her symptoms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation of the orderly with whom Oleg talks in the halls when he cannot sleep?
2. What happens when Oleg goes to visit Vera at her home once he is released?
3. What does Dyomka's surgeon have to do immediately after the surgery at the start of this section?
4. Why does the zoo end up depressing Oleg when he is finally able to go there?
5. What happens because Dontsova is a doctor who is seeking medical testing and evaluation?
6. What have Pavel and Oleg decided to do at this point of the story instead of argue with each other?
7. What does Lev believe the purpose of the rounds are, so he makes sure to act accordingly?
8. What is the worry of Dontsova as Pavel continues to have injections in his treatment plan?
9. What does Oleg want to know about the hormone therapy that he is taking?
10. What does Pavel want to do now that he thinks he has been completely cured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dontsova is committed to the healing of her patients, using up her energy and her time to help them before helping herself.
Part 1: Why do you think some doctors are committed to their patients and others are not?
Part 2: How do you think a patient might be able to find a helpful doctor?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be as concerned about their patients as Dontsova?
Essay Topic 2
Pavel and his wife claim to love people, but they do not want to be too close to them.
Part 1: Can you love a person without being close to them?
Part 2: How do you think Pavel and his wife define the idea of love in relation to others?
Part 3: Do you think that you can love people without wanting to be close to them?
Essay Topic 3
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)