|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Dyomka when he gets out of surgery for his back?
2. Vera finds out that Oleg gets a ________ from Zoya every morning.
3. The doctor talks about how the present _________ has robbed children of their trusted family doctor.
4. Who has become one of Oleg's adversaries at this point of the story?
5. What does Chaly offer to give to Pavel if Pavel gives him his phone number?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dyomka make Oleg promise to do when he is released from the ward?
2. Why has Dr. Oreshchenkov been jailed and punished many times during his medical career?
3. Why were the Kadmins, friends of Oleg, exiled from their home as well in the past?
4. What does Lev believe the purpose of the rounds are, so he makes sure to act accordingly?
5. What happens during a smoke break in a private room after the rounds are completed?
6. What are physicians and nurses not allowed to do with the patients, according to the text?
7. What have Pavel and Oleg decided to do at this point of the story instead of argue with each other?
8. What does Dontsova tell Vera to do when Oleg is given permission to go home?
9. What is the situation of the orderly with whom Oleg talks in the halls when he cannot sleep?
10. What is supposed to be all the rage in Moscow, according to the surgeon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oleg seems to be a bit of a playboy on the ward, falling in love with several women.
Part 1: Do you think a cancer ward is the best place for a person to find love?
Part 2: How do you think a person could create a healthy relationship in a hospital?
Part 3: Do you think patients should strike up relationships with their health care workers?
Essay Topic 2
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
Essay Topic 3
The doctors and nurses have a no-nonsense attitude toward Pavel and his outbursts about how he is being treated.
Part 1: Why do you think Pavel wanted to report the care of the doctors and nurses?
Part 2: Do you think that Pavel has a case against the doctors and nurses? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a doctor and nurse should treat a patient who might be dying?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)