|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who disagrees with Aviette when she is talking with her father?
2. While it is the second anniversary of _______ death, there is only a small article in the paper about this event, which disappoints Pavel.
3. The Kadmins, Oleg remembers, only found _______ in everything that happened to them.
4. Many had to simply agree with the _______ in order to protect themselves and their families.
5. At the start of this section, who is walking the grounds of the hospital, remembering where he used to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Oleg was assigned to the new place, exiled to live there forever by the government?
2. What does Oleg do when he is finally released from the hospital?
3. What is the opinion that Dontsova has of socialized medicine about which the other doctor realizes he cannot sway her?
4. What happened during the amnesty time to the person who led to the exile of the Kadmins?
5. What does Lev tell Oleg about women and how they affect men in their lives?
6. Why does the zoo end up depressing Oleg when he is finally able to go there?
7. What happens when Oleg goes to visit Vera at her home once he is released?
8. What is happening with the treatment for Vadim according to the text in this chapter?
9. What is supposed to be all the rage in Moscow, according to the surgeon?
10. What is the current health status of Vadim at the beginning of this section when Dyomka moves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dontsova is committed to the healing of her patients, using up her energy and her time to help them before helping herself.
Part 1: Why do you think some doctors are committed to their patients and others are not?
Part 2: How do you think a patient might be able to find a helpful doctor?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be as concerned about their patients as Dontsova?
Essay Topic 2
Pavel is concerned about his daughter becoming a writer, thinking that she might be better off doing something else.
Part 1: Why do you think that Pavel is concerned about his child becoming a writer?
Part 2: How do you think Aviette's life would change if she became a writer?
Part 3: Why do you think parents have troubles with not being able to control the actions of their children?
Essay Topic 3
It is very difficult to get admitted to the cancer ward, according to the patients.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so difficult to get admitted to the cancer ward?
Part 2: What might you do if you were unable to get admitted to a cancer ward?
Part 3: Do you think that all patients should be admitted for cancer treatment?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)