|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oleg begin to study in order to ensure he is healthy for when he is with Zoya?
2. Vera tells Pavel that he can have a(n) _________ at 11:30am that day or he can choose to check out.
3. Which of the patients is announced to have died during this portion of the story?
4. It is revealed that Pavel is a(n) _____________ supervisor and was instrumental in having many people removed from the town.
5. Dontsova tells Oleg that he should stay in the ward because she wants to _______ him, even though he is feeling better now.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the physical symptom that Dontsova is experiencing though she does not tell anyone about it?
2. What does Zoya learn about the status of Oleg when they are talking in the doctor's lounge?
3. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
4. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
5. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
6. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
7. What does Pavel learn from his doctor when he asks about his health condition?
8. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
9. What does the orderly do though she has only completed a part of her job?
10. What does Kapa try to give to the nurse, though the nurse says that she cannot accept this from her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vadim has an important discovery to share with the world, so he makes it his life mission to use every moment he has.
Part 1: Do you think that everyone has something important to contribute to the world?
Part 2: How do you think that Vadim's cancer is impacting his work?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to value every moment in one's life?
Essay Topic 2
Pavel is concerned about his daughter becoming a writer, thinking that she might be better off doing something else.
Part 1: Why do you think that Pavel is concerned about his child becoming a writer?
Part 2: How do you think Aviette's life would change if she became a writer?
Part 3: Why do you think parents have troubles with not being able to control the actions of their children?
Essay Topic 3
The senior surgeon, Yevgenia Ustinovna, smokes constantly and even uses two fingers to raise her lips.
Part 1: Do you think that a doctor should smoke?
Part 2: Would you want to be under the care of a physician who is always smoking?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be examples for their patients, in terms of healthy habits?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)