|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Oleg and Zoya filling up in the supply room when they suddenly begin kissing each other?
2. Dontsova is concerned about patients who have experienced ____________, even as they were treated in other parts of their bodies.
3. Where is Pavel during his long and strange dream that he has during his treatment?
4. Oleg tells Dontsova that he came to the hospital in order to have his ________ alleviated, according to his description of his history.
5. What is the number of the ward that Pavel is directed to when he arrives at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
2. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
3. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
4. What is the title of the story that most intrigues Yefrem in the collection of stories he is reading?
5. What does Pavel learn from his doctor when he asks about his health condition?
6. What is another way that Pavel decides to categorize the other patients in the ward with him, aside from the answer to #5?
7. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
8. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
9. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
10. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pavel Rusanov is an important man in the Soviet Union and he expects to be treated as such, no matter where he is.
Part 1: Do you think that importance is something that should be valued in society?
Part 2: Does it seem possible for a person to always be treated as if they are the most important person in the room?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel is a person who expects to be important wherever he goes?
Essay Topic 2
Oleg gives a series of lectures to the other patients in the ward, which helps to inform them of different treatments.
Part 1: Why do you think Oleg decides to spend his energy on giving lectures?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients are benefited by the lectures, aside from the information?
Part 3: Do you think it strange that a patient would be giving lectures on health?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel is concerned about his daughter becoming a writer, thinking that she might be better off doing something else.
Part 1: Why do you think that Pavel is concerned about his child becoming a writer?
Part 2: How do you think Aviette's life would change if she became a writer?
Part 3: Why do you think parents have troubles with not being able to control the actions of their children?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)