|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pavel and his wife make in order to try to bypass the normal treatment regimens in the hospital?
2. What are Oleg and Zoya filling up in the supply room when they suddenly begin kissing each other?
3. Where is the cancer that Sibgator has, causing him to be in extreme pain most of the time?
4. Pavel and his wife claim to ______ people, but they do not want to be too close to them at the same time.
5. What does Oleg reveal to be his status in the country when he is speaking with Zoya after she gets off work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
2. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
3. What does the new man say that life is for when Yefrem joins the conversation?
4. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
5. What does Pavel learn from his doctor when he asks about his health condition?
6. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
7. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
8. Why is the administrative assistant Olympiada going to be away from the hospital for a few days?
9. What does Oleg know about Vera, even though this does not stop him from being attracted to her?
10. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
Essay Topic 2
Oleg gives a series of lectures to the other patients in the ward, which helps to inform them of different treatments.
Part 1: Why do you think Oleg decides to spend his energy on giving lectures?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients are benefited by the lectures, aside from the information?
Part 3: Do you think it strange that a patient would be giving lectures on health?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel is concerned about his daughter becoming a writer, thinking that she might be better off doing something else.
Part 1: Why do you think that Pavel is concerned about his child becoming a writer?
Part 2: How do you think Aviette's life would change if she became a writer?
Part 3: Why do you think parents have troubles with not being able to control the actions of their children?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)