|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ is a very strong man, a construction worker who travels all over the Soviet Union to do the hardest work.
2. The nurse says there is no one to whom she could give the ________, even if she could take it from Pavel.
3. What does Kapa attempt to give the nurse in order to help Pavel get better treatment than others?
4. What does Dontsova decide to grab on her way home from the hospital?
5. Where does Sibgator decide to stay in order to keep himself comfortable when he is staying at the cancer ward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
2. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
3. What does Zoya learn about the status of Oleg when they are talking in the doctor's lounge?
4. What is the physical symptom that Dontsova is experiencing though she does not tell anyone about it?
5. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
6. Why was Oleg never told about the original biopsies of his primary tumor?
7. What is another way that Pavel decides to categorize the other patients in the ward with him, aside from the answer to #5?
8. When the new man and Dyomka are talking in the ward, what does one of the men say it is better to do than to die?
9. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
10. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
Essay Topic 2
The senior surgeon, Yevgenia Ustinovna, smokes constantly and even uses two fingers to raise her lips.
Part 1: Do you think that a doctor should smoke?
Part 2: Would you want to be under the care of a physician who is always smoking?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be examples for their patients, in terms of healthy habits?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel knows that he has manipulated many people in order to get the things he has, but cancer will not respond in the same way.
Part 1: Do you think there is ever a good reason to manipulate someone else?
Part 2: How do you think manipulation can work in your favor?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel feels that manipulation is the best way to get what he wants?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)