|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zoya like to do when she is not actively helping patients on the ward or studying for school?
2. What does Dontsova decide to grab on her way home from the hospital?
3. The other patients make fun of Pavel as they ask him why he is on the ___________ if he does not have cancer.
4. Who is the author of the short stories that Yefrem is reading, which causes Pavel to laugh?
5. Who is the night nurse trying to get her work done, but there is too much work for her to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vera tell Pavel when he begins to get upset with the others in the room?
2. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
3. Why does the head man want to throw Oleg out of the hospital during the inspection?
4. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
5. What does Pavel almost forget to tell his wife during their Sunday visit at the hospital?
6. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
7. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
8. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
9. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
10. What does Oleg know about Vera, even though this does not stop him from being attracted to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dontsova is committed to the healing of her patients, using up her energy and her time to help them before helping herself.
Part 1: Why do you think some doctors are committed to their patients and others are not?
Part 2: How do you think a patient might be able to find a helpful doctor?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be as concerned about their patients as Dontsova?
Essay Topic 2
Pavel and his wife claim to love people, but they do not want to be too close to them.
Part 1: Can you love a person without being close to them?
Part 2: How do you think Pavel and his wife define the idea of love in relation to others?
Part 3: Do you think that you can love people without wanting to be close to them?
Essay Topic 3
It is very difficult to get admitted to the cancer ward, according to the patients.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so difficult to get admitted to the cancer ward?
Part 2: What might you do if you were unable to get admitted to a cancer ward?
Part 3: Do you think that all patients should be admitted for cancer treatment?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)