|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nurse tells Kapa that there is no possibility for ___________ in the hospital, even though they might be more important than others.
2. What does Oleg believe Zoya looks like when she takes off her nurse's cap?
3. Dontsova is compared to a(n)on _________ which is overworked and overused, according to the text in the book.
4. Where is Pavel told to go to when he answers the phone as a part of his dream?
5. In the dream, Pavel is told by a woman that he is the man who made her husband ________ over the years.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
2. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
3. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
4. What does the new man say that life is for when Yefrem joins the conversation?
5. What does Kapa try to give to the nurse, though the nurse says that she cannot accept this from her?
6. What does Pavel learn from his doctor when he asks about his health condition?
7. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
8. Why did Oleg come to the hospital in the first place, according to his conversation with others?
9. When the new man and Dyomka are talking in the ward, what does one of the men say it is better to do than to die?
10. What does Yefrem consider to be a personal goal of his when he is in the cancer ward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oleg loved being in Ush-Terek when he was exiled before coming to the cancer ward.
Part 1: Why do you think that Oleg was happy with being in exile?
Part 2: How do you think being in exile might impact a person's mental health?
Part 3: Do you think you would enjoy being in exile away from family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
Zoya knows that she wants to have a better life than the one that her family has had.
Part 1: Do you think that all people want to have a better life than those who came before them?
Part 2: How do you think you could improve your life right now?
Part 3: Is it possible to always create a new life, one that is different from one's parents?
Essay Topic 3
In his cancer treatment, Pavel is able to wear different things that the other patients, as well as to use a private room.
Part 1: Do you think that cancer can be treated more easily when a patient has certain creature comforts?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients felt about Pavel having the extra attention and perks?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel felt that he needed to have better treatment than the other patients?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)