|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to get the political trip canceled several times, but is unsuccessful in doing so?
2. The surgeon tells Proshka that she will explain his _________ to him before his discharge from the cancer ward.
3. What is Pavel allowed to wear, which is the only concession in his stay at the hospital?
4. Dontsova and Vera work for hours every day without any __________ for their efforts.
5. What is Dontsova also trying to complete, though she doesn't seem to have the time for this assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the new man and Dyomka are talking in the ward, what does one of the men say it is better to do than to die?
2. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
3. What is the title of the story that most intrigues Yefrem in the collection of stories he is reading?
4. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
5. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
6. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
7. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
8. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
9. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
10. What is the only concession that Pavel is allowed when he is entered into the cancer ward along with the other patients?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oleg gives a series of lectures to the other patients in the ward, which helps to inform them of different treatments.
Part 1: Why do you think Oleg decides to spend his energy on giving lectures?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients are benefited by the lectures, aside from the information?
Part 3: Do you think it strange that a patient would be giving lectures on health?
Essay Topic 2
The doctors and nurses have a no-nonsense attitude toward Pavel and his outbursts about how he is being treated.
Part 1: Why do you think Pavel wanted to report the care of the doctors and nurses?
Part 2: Do you think that Pavel has a case against the doctors and nurses? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a doctor and nurse should treat a patient who might be dying?
Essay Topic 3
The senior surgeon, Yevgenia Ustinovna, smokes constantly and even uses two fingers to raise her lips.
Part 1: Do you think that a doctor should smoke?
Part 2: Would you want to be under the care of a physician who is always smoking?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be examples for their patients, in terms of healthy habits?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)