|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kostoglotov ask to borrow from Zoya when they are flirting together at the nurses station?
2. Vera learns there will be an ________ the next day so the hospital staff needs to put away anything that was not a part of what was issued to the hospital.
3. Vera remembers another patient just like Pavel who had accused her of trying to __________ him when he was in the ward.
4. What does Yefrem decide he needs to tell all of the patients on the ward as a part of his life's mission?
5. What is Dontsova also trying to complete, though she doesn't seem to have the time for this assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
2. What is the current health status of Vadim at the beginning of this section when Dyomka moves?
3. What are physicians and nurses not allowed to do with the patients, according to the text?
4. What happens as soon as Dontsova goes into the house of Dr. Oreshchenkov?
5. Why were the Kadmins, friends of Oleg, exiled from their home as well in the past?
6. Why does the zoo end up depressing Oleg when he is finally able to go there?
7. What does Dyomka's surgeon have to do immediately after the surgery at the start of this section?
8. Why is Dyomka moved out of the cancer ward at the beginning of this section?
9. What is the opinion that Dontsova has of socialized medicine about which the other doctor realizes he cannot sway her?
10. What does Oleg know about Vera, even though this does not stop him from being attracted to her?
Essay Topic 1
Pavel Rusanov is an important man in the Soviet Union and he expects to be treated as such, no matter where he is.
Part 1: Do you think that importance is something that should be valued in society?
Part 2: Does it seem possible for a person to always be treated as if they are the most important person in the room?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel is a person who expects to be important wherever he goes?
Essay Topic 2
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel is concerned about his daughter becoming a writer, thinking that she might be better off doing something else.
Part 1: Why do you think that Pavel is concerned about his child becoming a writer?
Part 2: How do you think Aviette's life would change if she became a writer?
Part 3: Why do you think parents have troubles with not being able to control the actions of their children?
This section contains 1,974 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)