|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pavel learns that Rodichev has been ________ and that he is now returning to the town.
2. What does Yefrem decide the answer to the question of what do men live by is?
3. Pavel refers to some of the other patients by their _________, as in the patients he calls Uz Becks.
4. Which patient tells the surgeon that he is tired of the cutting and wants to be released?
5. What is Dontsova's excuse for not being able to finish a project on which she has been working for a long time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sibgator decide that he wants to stand in the hallway instead of having a bed like everyone else in the ward?
2. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
3. What is the physical symptom that Dontsova is experiencing though she does not tell anyone about it?
4. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
5. What does Vera tell Pavel when he begins to get upset with the others in the room?
6. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
7. What is the situation of the orderly with whom Oleg talks in the halls when he cannot sleep?
8. What is supposed to be all the rage in Moscow, according to the surgeon?
9. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
10. What does Dyomka make Oleg promise to do when he is released from the ward?
Essay Topic 1
Oleg gives a series of lectures to the other patients in the ward, which helps to inform them of different treatments.
Part 1: Why do you think Oleg decides to spend his energy on giving lectures?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients are benefited by the lectures, aside from the information?
Part 3: Do you think it strange that a patient would be giving lectures on health?
Essay Topic 2
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
Essay Topic 3
The senior surgeon, Yevgenia Ustinovna, smokes constantly and even uses two fingers to raise her lips.
Part 1: Do you think that a doctor should smoke?
Part 2: Would you want to be under the care of a physician who is always smoking?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be examples for their patients, in terms of healthy habits?
This section contains 1,978 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)