|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nellya is a(n) _________ who only does a part of her job, choosing instead to take a nap in the middle of her shift.
2. What does the nurse bring to the ward that Pavel wants to see before anyone else?
3. To whom does Pavel say he will report the woman physicians because he is angry with his treatment?
4. What is the form of government that is in place at the time of the Soviet Union in the story?
5. Who does Zoya enlist to help her with the administrative duties she needs to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
2. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
3. What does the new man say that life is for when Yefrem joins the conversation?
4. What does Kapa try to give to the nurse, though the nurse says that she cannot accept this from her?
5. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
6. What does the orderly do though she has only completed a part of her job?
7. What does Pavel learn from his doctor when he asks about his health condition?
8. What is the title of the story that most intrigues Yefrem in the collection of stories he is reading?
9. Why did Oleg come to the hospital in the first place, according to his conversation with others?
10. When the new man and Dyomka are talking in the ward, what does one of the men say it is better to do than to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zoya knows that she wants to have a better life than the one that her family has had.
Part 1: Do you think that all people want to have a better life than those who came before them?
Part 2: How do you think you could improve your life right now?
Part 3: Is it possible to always create a new life, one that is different from one's parents?
Essay Topic 2
The doctors and nurses are unable to tell the patients that they are dying, even if that information is in their medical records.
Part 1: Why do you think telling patients about their health is not allowed?
Part 2: Would you want to know if you were dying? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think not telling the patients they are dying helps those on the cancer ward?
Essay Topic 3
Yefrem knows that he is fighting death and that he needs to do all he can while he is still alive.
Part 1: What is the value of life?
Part 2: How do you think you might react if you were given a short period to live?
Part 3: Why do you think people tend to create more personal goals as they come closer to death?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)