|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dontsova tells Oleg that he should stay in the ward because she wants to _______ him, even though he is feeling better now.
2. Who did Pavel put into a school as a result of sending away the child of the woman in the dream?
3. How many other patients are assigned to the ward that Pavel is assigned to, though he does not care to know them?
4. Pavel learns that Rodichev has been ________ and that he is now returning to the town.
5. What does Kapa attempt to give the nurse in order to help Pavel get better treatment than others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only concession that Pavel is allowed when he is entered into the cancer ward along with the other patients?
2. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
3. What does Yefrem consider to be a personal goal of his when he is in the cancer ward?
4. What does Pavel almost forget to tell his wife during their Sunday visit at the hospital?
5. Why was Oleg never told about the original biopsies of his primary tumor?
6. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
7. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
8. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
9. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
10. What is the physical symptom that Dontsova is experiencing though she does not tell anyone about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
Essay Topic 2
Yefrem knows that he is fighting death and that he needs to do all he can while he is still alive.
Part 1: What is the value of life?
Part 2: How do you think you might react if you were given a short period to live?
Part 3: Why do you think people tend to create more personal goals as they come closer to death?
Essay Topic 3
Oleg gives a series of lectures to the other patients in the ward, which helps to inform them of different treatments.
Part 1: Why do you think Oleg decides to spend his energy on giving lectures?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients are benefited by the lectures, aside from the information?
Part 3: Do you think it strange that a patient would be giving lectures on health?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)