|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many other patients are assigned to the ward that Pavel is assigned to, though he does not care to know them?
2. What does the patient in #56 realize that the surgeon's answer probably means for his case?
3. Oleg tells Dontsova that he came to the hospital in order to have his ________ alleviated, according to his description of his history.
4. In the dream, Pavel is told by a woman that he is the man who made her husband ________ over the years.
5. Pavel learns that Rodichev has been ________ and that he is now returning to the town.
Short Essay Questions
1. When the new man and Dyomka are talking in the ward, what does one of the men say it is better to do than to die?
2. What does the orderly do though she has only completed a part of her job?
3. Why does Sibgator decide that he wants to stand in the hallway instead of having a bed like everyone else in the ward?
4. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
5. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
6. Why is the administrative assistant Olympiada going to be away from the hospital for a few days?
7. What does Oleg know about Vera, even though this does not stop him from being attracted to her?
8. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
9. What is another way that Pavel decides to categorize the other patients in the ward with him, aside from the answer to #5?
10. What is the only concession that Pavel is allowed when he is entered into the cancer ward along with the other patients?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctors and nurses have a no-nonsense attitude toward Pavel and his outbursts about how he is being treated.
Part 1: Why do you think Pavel wanted to report the care of the doctors and nurses?
Part 2: Do you think that Pavel has a case against the doctors and nurses? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a doctor and nurse should treat a patient who might be dying?
Essay Topic 2
Vadim has an important discovery to share with the world, so he makes it his life mission to use every moment he has.
Part 1: Do you think that everyone has something important to contribute to the world?
Part 2: How do you think that Vadim's cancer is impacting his work?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to value every moment in one's life?
Essay Topic 3
Dontsova is committed to the healing of her patients, using up her energy and her time to help them before helping herself.
Part 1: Why do you think some doctors are committed to their patients and others are not?
Part 2: How do you think a patient might be able to find a helpful doctor?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be as concerned about their patients as Dontsova?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)