Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pavel want his wife to research when she goes back home from the hospital?
2. Someone wanted to throw Oleg out of the hospital because he was not from ________, according to his recollection.
3. Which of the patients is announced to have died during this portion of the story?
4. Who looks at the patients with contempt and refuses to learn more about them?
5. How does Zoya get to her job at the hospital ward, according to the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have Pavel and Oleg decided to do at this point of the story instead of argue with each other?
2. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
3. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
4. What does Vera find in Oleg's cabinet before an inspection of the ward?
5. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
6. What is supposed to be all the rage in Moscow, according to the surgeon?
7. What is the situation of the orderly with whom Oleg talks in the halls when he cannot sleep?
8. What does Dyomka's surgeon have to do immediately after the surgery at the start of this section?
9. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
10. What is the physical symptom that Dontsova is experiencing though she does not tell anyone about it?
Pavel and his wife claim to love people, but they do not want to be too close to them.
Part 1: Can you love a person without being close to them?
Part 2: How do you think Pavel and his wife define the idea of love in relation to others?
Part 3: Do you think that you can love people without wanting to be close to them?
Pavel knows that he has manipulated many people in order to get the things he has, but cancer will not respond in the same way.
Part 1: Do you think there is ever a good reason to manipulate someone else?
Part 2: How do you think manipulation can work in your favor?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel feels that manipulation is the best way to get what he wants?
The senior surgeon, Yevgenia Ustinovna, smokes constantly and even uses two fingers to raise her lips.
Part 1: Do you think that a doctor should smoke?
Part 2: Would you want to be under the care of a physician who is always smoking?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be examples for their patients, in terms of healthy habits?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)