|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the patients is announced to have died during this portion of the story?
2. Where does Sibgator decide to stay in order to keep himself comfortable when he is staying at the cancer ward?
3. Vera remembers another patient just like Pavel who had accused her of trying to __________ him when he was in the ward.
4. Nellya is a(n) _________ who only does a part of her job, choosing instead to take a nap in the middle of her shift.
5. What does the nurse bring to the ward that Pavel wants to see before anyone else?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Oleg never told about the original biopsies of his primary tumor?
2. Why does the head man want to throw Oleg out of the hospital during the inspection?
3. What does Yefrem consider to be a personal goal of his when he is in the cancer ward?
4. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
5. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
6. What does Zoya learn about the status of Oleg when they are talking in the doctor's lounge?
7. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
8. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
9. When the new man and Dyomka are talking in the ward, what does one of the men say it is better to do than to die?
10. What is another way that Pavel decides to categorize the other patients in the ward with him, aside from the answer to #5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pavel is concerned about his daughter becoming a writer, thinking that she might be better off doing something else.
Part 1: Why do you think that Pavel is concerned about his child becoming a writer?
Part 2: How do you think Aviette's life would change if she became a writer?
Part 3: Why do you think parents have troubles with not being able to control the actions of their children?
Essay Topic 2
Pavel knows that he has manipulated many people in order to get the things he has, but cancer will not respond in the same way.
Part 1: Do you think there is ever a good reason to manipulate someone else?
Part 2: How do you think manipulation can work in your favor?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel feels that manipulation is the best way to get what he wants?
Essay Topic 3
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)