|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes with Kapa to drop Pavel off at the hospital when he is admitted to the cancer ward?
2. Pavel assigns ________ to the other patients on the ward after they begin to make fun of him for thinking he doesn't have cancer.
3. What is the number of the ward that Pavel is directed to when he arrives at the hospital?
4. The surgeon tells Proshka that she will explain his _________ to him before his discharge from the cancer ward.
5. Dyomka and the new man are talking about _________ when this particular chapter begins.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is another way that Pavel decides to categorize the other patients in the ward with him, aside from the answer to #5?
2. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
3. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
4. What does the new man say that life is for when Yefrem joins the conversation?
5. Why has Dr. Oreshchenkov been jailed and punished many times during his medical career?
6. What does Dyomka make Oleg promise to do when he is released from the ward?
7. What is supposed to be all the rage in Moscow, according to the surgeon?
8. What does Oleg know about Vera, even though this does not stop him from being attracted to her?
9. What does Oleg want to know about the hormone therapy that he is taking?
10. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The senior surgeon, Yevgenia Ustinovna, smokes constantly and even uses two fingers to raise her lips.
Part 1: Do you think that a doctor should smoke?
Part 2: Would you want to be under the care of a physician who is always smoking?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be examples for their patients, in terms of healthy habits?
Essay Topic 2
Pavel believes he's the only one who understands what's going on in the world.
Part 1: Why do you think Pavel thinks so little of everyone else?
Part 2: Do you think that Pavel is reasonable in the way that he judges others?
Part 3: How are Pavel's judgments affecting his life and his health?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel and his wife claim to love people, but they do not want to be too close to them.
Part 1: Can you love a person without being close to them?
Part 2: How do you think Pavel and his wife define the idea of love in relation to others?
Part 3: Do you think that you can love people without wanting to be close to them?
This section contains 1,984 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)