Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pavel want his wife to research when she goes back home from the hospital?
2. Someone wanted to throw Oleg out of the hospital because he was not from ________, according to his recollection.
3. Which of the patients is announced to have died during this portion of the story?
4. Who looks at the patients with contempt and refuses to learn more about them?
5. How does Zoya get to her job at the hospital ward, according to the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have Pavel and Oleg decided to do at this point of the story instead of argue with each other?
2. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
3. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
4. What does Vera find in Oleg's cabinet before an inspection of the ward?
5. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
6. What is supposed to be all the rage in Moscow, according to the surgeon?
7. What is the situation of the orderly with whom Oleg talks in the halls when he cannot sleep?
8. What does Dyomka's surgeon have to do immediately after the surgery at the start of this section?
9. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
10. What is the physical symptom that Dontsova is experiencing though she does not tell anyone about it?
Essay Topic 1
Dontsova has a thesis in progress, but she does not have the time to work on it because of her work in the cancer ward.
Part 1: Do you think that a thesis is something that should be more important than work?
Part 2: How do you think Dontsova might improve her work as a doctor if she were to be able to finish her thesis?
Part 3: Why do you think Dontsova doesn't have the time to complete it?
Essay Topic 2
Pavel believes he's the only one who understands what's going on in the world.
Part 1: Why do you think Pavel thinks so little of everyone else?
Part 2: Do you think that Pavel is reasonable in the way that he judges others?
Part 3: How are Pavel's judgments affecting his life and his health?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel Rusanov is an important man in the Soviet Union and he expects to be treated as such, no matter where he is.
Part 1: Do you think that importance is something that should be valued in society?
Part 2: Does it seem possible for a person to always be treated as if they are the most important person in the room?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel is a person who expects to be important wherever he goes?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)