|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dontsova's excuse for not being able to finish a project on which she has been working for a long time?
2. Yefrem doesn't listen to Pavel because he is thinking more about his _________ than anything else.
3. What are Oleg and Zoya filling up in the supply room when they suddenly begin kissing each other?
4. What is the treatment that Vadim receives when he is first admitted to the cancer ward?
5. Oleg tells Dontsova that he came to the hospital in order to have his ________ alleviated, according to his description of his history.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sibgator decide that he wants to stand in the hallway instead of having a bed like everyone else in the ward?
2. What does the new man say that life is for when Yefrem joins the conversation?
3. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
4. What does Zoya learn about the status of Oleg when they are talking in the doctor's lounge?
5. Why does the head man want to throw Oleg out of the hospital during the inspection?
6. What does Vera tell Pavel when he begins to get upset with the others in the room?
7. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
8. What does Yefrem consider to be a personal goal of his when he is in the cancer ward?
9. What is another way that Pavel decides to categorize the other patients in the ward with him, aside from the answer to #5?
10. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zoya knows that she wants to have a better life than the one that her family has had.
Part 1: Do you think that all people want to have a better life than those who came before them?
Part 2: How do you think you could improve your life right now?
Part 3: Is it possible to always create a new life, one that is different from one's parents?
Essay Topic 2
The doctors and nurses have a no-nonsense attitude toward Pavel and his outbursts about how he is being treated.
Part 1: Why do you think Pavel wanted to report the care of the doctors and nurses?
Part 2: Do you think that Pavel has a case against the doctors and nurses? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a doctor and nurse should treat a patient who might be dying?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel Rusanov is an important man in the Soviet Union and he expects to be treated as such, no matter where he is.
Part 1: Do you think that importance is something that should be valued in society?
Part 2: Does it seem possible for a person to always be treated as if they are the most important person in the room?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel is a person who expects to be important wherever he goes?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)