|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Someone wanted to throw Oleg out of the hospital because he was not from ________, according to his recollection.
2. Dontsova and Vera work for hours every day without any __________ for their efforts.
3. Who is the author of the short stories that Yefrem is reading, which causes Pavel to laugh?
4. Where was Oleg first when he was diagnosed with cancer, though he was not told of his test results?
5. What is the form of government that is in place at the time of the Soviet Union in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only concession that Pavel is allowed when he is entered into the cancer ward along with the other patients?
2. When the new man and Dyomka are talking in the ward, what does one of the men say it is better to do than to die?
3. Why did Oleg come to the hospital in the first place, according to his conversation with others?
4. Why does the head man want to throw Oleg out of the hospital during the inspection?
5. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
6. What does Vera find in Oleg's cabinet before an inspection of the ward?
7. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
8. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
9. What does Vera tell Pavel when he begins to get upset with the others in the room?
10. What does the orderly do though she has only completed a part of her job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pavel is concerned about his daughter becoming a writer, thinking that she might be better off doing something else.
Part 1: Why do you think that Pavel is concerned about his child becoming a writer?
Part 2: How do you think Aviette's life would change if she became a writer?
Part 3: Why do you think parents have troubles with not being able to control the actions of their children?
Essay Topic 2
It is very difficult to get admitted to the cancer ward, according to the patients.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so difficult to get admitted to the cancer ward?
Part 2: What might you do if you were unable to get admitted to a cancer ward?
Part 3: Do you think that all patients should be admitted for cancer treatment?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel Rusanov is an important man in the Soviet Union and he expects to be treated as such, no matter where he is.
Part 1: Do you think that importance is something that should be valued in society?
Part 2: Does it seem possible for a person to always be treated as if they are the most important person in the room?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel is a person who expects to be important wherever he goes?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)