|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Pavel during his long and strange dream that he has during his treatment?
2. Pavel is an important man in the Soviet Union and he has a tumor on his _______ when he comes to the ward.
3. What does Kapa attempt to give the nurse in order to help Pavel get better treatment than others?
4. Whose magic root needs to be poured out in order to avoid being found by the authorities?
5. Kapa tells Pavel she has received a letter from his ________ which brings Pavel bad news about the town.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
2. What happens during a smoke break in a private room after the rounds are completed?
3. What does Lev tell Oleg about women and how they affect men in their lives?
4. What is the current health status of Vadim at the beginning of this section when Dyomka moves?
5. What does Pavel want to do now that he thinks he has been completely cured?
6. What does Dyomka's surgeon have to do immediately after the surgery at the start of this section?
7. What does Dyomka make Oleg promise to do when he is released from the ward?
8. What is the worry of Dontsova as Pavel continues to have injections in his treatment plan?
9. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
10. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
Essay Topic 1
In his cancer treatment, Pavel is able to wear different things that the other patients, as well as to use a private room.
Part 1: Do you think that cancer can be treated more easily when a patient has certain creature comforts?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients felt about Pavel having the extra attention and perks?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel felt that he needed to have better treatment than the other patients?
Essay Topic 2
The doctors and nurses are unable to tell the patients that they are dying, even if that information is in their medical records.
Part 1: Why do you think telling patients about their health is not allowed?
Part 2: Would you want to know if you were dying? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think not telling the patients they are dying helps those on the cancer ward?
Essay Topic 3
Zoya knows that she wants to have a better life than the one that her family has had.
Part 1: Do you think that all people want to have a better life than those who came before them?
Part 2: How do you think you could improve your life right now?
Part 3: Is it possible to always create a new life, one that is different from one's parents?
This section contains 1,945 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)