|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kapa tells Pavel she has received a letter from his ________ which brings Pavel bad news about the town.
2. How old is Vadim when he comes to the ward, knowing that he only has months to live?
3. Dyomka and the new man are talking about _________ when this particular chapter begins.
4. How many other patients are assigned to the ward that Pavel is assigned to, though he does not care to know them?
5. During his dream, Pavel's _______ hurts, but he can not remember why this hurts at all.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
2. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
3. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
4. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
5. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
6. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
7. What does Oleg know about Vera, even though this does not stop him from being attracted to her?
8. What does Zoya learn about the status of Oleg when they are talking in the doctor's lounge?
9. What does Vera find in Oleg's cabinet before an inspection of the ward?
10. When the new man and Dyomka are talking in the ward, what does one of the men say it is better to do than to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zoya is a nurse who has too many patients and not enough support to help them all as much as they need to be helped.
Part 1: Why do you think a hospital would employ fewer nurses than they need?
Part 2: How do you think the care of patients is affected by not having enough nurses available?
Part 3: Do you think that Zoya and other nurses are working as hard as they could to cover the extra patients?
Essay Topic 2
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
Essay Topic 3
Dontsova is committed to the healing of her patients, using up her energy and her time to help them before helping herself.
Part 1: Why do you think some doctors are committed to their patients and others are not?
Part 2: How do you think a patient might be able to find a helpful doctor?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be as concerned about their patients as Dontsova?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)