|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Oleg and Zoya filling up in the supply room when they suddenly begin kissing each other?
2. What does Zoya like to do when she is not actively helping patients on the ward or studying for school?
3. Which patient tells the surgeon that he is tired of the cutting and wants to be released?
4. What does the nurse give to Pavel when he wakes up from his injection?
5. On what day of the week does Pavel's wife come to see him in the cancer ward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
2. What does Oleg know about Vera, even though this does not stop him from being attracted to her?
3. What does Pavel almost forget to tell his wife during their Sunday visit at the hospital?
4. What does the new man say that life is for when Yefrem joins the conversation?
5. What is the title of the story that most intrigues Yefrem in the collection of stories he is reading?
6. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
7. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
8. What does Vera find in Oleg's cabinet before an inspection of the ward?
9. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
10. What does the orderly do though she has only completed a part of her job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yefrem knows that he is fighting death and that he needs to do all he can while he is still alive.
Part 1: What is the value of life?
Part 2: How do you think you might react if you were given a short period to live?
Part 3: Why do you think people tend to create more personal goals as they come closer to death?
Essay Topic 2
Pavel is concerned about his daughter becoming a writer, thinking that she might be better off doing something else.
Part 1: Why do you think that Pavel is concerned about his child becoming a writer?
Part 2: How do you think Aviette's life would change if she became a writer?
Part 3: Why do you think parents have troubles with not being able to control the actions of their children?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel and his wife claim to love people, but they do not want to be too close to them.
Part 1: Can you love a person without being close to them?
Part 2: How do you think Pavel and his wife define the idea of love in relation to others?
Part 3: Do you think that you can love people without wanting to be close to them?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)