|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the form of government that is in place at the time of the Soviet Union in the story?
2. What is Dontsova's excuse for not being able to finish a project on which she has been working for a long time?
3. In the dream, Pavel is told by a woman that he is the man who made her husband ________ over the years.
4. How many other patients are assigned to the ward that Pavel is assigned to, though he does not care to know them?
5. Vera tells Pavel that he can have a(n) _________ at 11:30am that day or he can choose to check out.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
2. What does Pavel almost forget to tell his wife during their Sunday visit at the hospital?
3. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
4. Why did Oleg come to the hospital in the first place, according to his conversation with others?
5. What does Pavel learn from his doctor when he asks about his health condition?
6. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
7. What happened during the amnesty time to the person who led to the exile of the Kadmins?
8. What does Vera tell Pavel when he begins to get upset with the others in the room?
9. What does Oleg know about Vera, even though this does not stop him from being attracted to her?
10. Why does Sibgator decide that he wants to stand in the hallway instead of having a bed like everyone else in the ward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dontsova is committed to the healing of her patients, using up her energy and her time to help them before helping herself.
Part 1: Why do you think some doctors are committed to their patients and others are not?
Part 2: How do you think a patient might be able to find a helpful doctor?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be as concerned about their patients as Dontsova?
Essay Topic 2
It is very difficult to get admitted to the cancer ward, according to the patients.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so difficult to get admitted to the cancer ward?
Part 2: What might you do if you were unable to get admitted to a cancer ward?
Part 3: Do you think that all patients should be admitted for cancer treatment?
Essay Topic 3
The doctors and nurses are unable to tell the patients that they are dying, even if that information is in their medical records.
Part 1: Why do you think telling patients about their health is not allowed?
Part 2: Would you want to know if you were dying? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think not telling the patients they are dying helps those on the cancer ward?
This section contains 1,999 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)