|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vera remembers another patient just like Pavel who had accused her of trying to __________ him when he was in the ward.
2. What is the treatment that Vadim receives when he is first admitted to the cancer ward?
3. The other patients make fun of Pavel as they ask him why he is on the ___________ if he does not have cancer.
4. Pavel and his wife claim to ______ people, but they do not want to be too close to them at the same time.
5. Dyomka and the new man are talking about _________ when this particular chapter begins.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
2. What does Yefrem consider to be a personal goal of his when he is in the cancer ward?
3. What does Zoya learn about the status of Oleg when they are talking in the doctor's lounge?
4. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
5. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
6. Why is the administrative assistant Olympiada going to be away from the hospital for a few days?
7. What does Pavel almost forget to tell his wife during their Sunday visit at the hospital?
8. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
9. Why does the head man want to throw Oleg out of the hospital during the inspection?
10. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pavel Rusanov is an important man in the Soviet Union and he expects to be treated as such, no matter where he is.
Part 1: Do you think that importance is something that should be valued in society?
Part 2: Does it seem possible for a person to always be treated as if they are the most important person in the room?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel is a person who expects to be important wherever he goes?
Essay Topic 2
Pavel is concerned about his daughter becoming a writer, thinking that she might be better off doing something else.
Part 1: Why do you think that Pavel is concerned about his child becoming a writer?
Part 2: How do you think Aviette's life would change if she became a writer?
Part 3: Why do you think parents have troubles with not being able to control the actions of their children?
Essay Topic 3
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)