Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pavel want his wife to research when she goes back home from the hospital?
2. Someone wanted to throw Oleg out of the hospital because he was not from ________, according to his recollection.
3. Which of the patients is announced to have died during this portion of the story?
4. Who looks at the patients with contempt and refuses to learn more about them?
5. How does Zoya get to her job at the hospital ward, according to the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have Pavel and Oleg decided to do at this point of the story instead of argue with each other?
2. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
3. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
4. What does Vera find in Oleg's cabinet before an inspection of the ward?
5. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
6. What is supposed to be all the rage in Moscow, according to the surgeon?
7. What is the situation of the orderly with whom Oleg talks in the halls when he cannot sleep?
8. What does Dyomka's surgeon have to do immediately after the surgery at the start of this section?
9. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
10. What is the physical symptom that Dontsova is experiencing though she does not tell anyone about it?
Essay Topic 1
Dontsova is committed to the healing of her patients, using up her energy and her time to help them before helping herself.
Part 1: Why do you think some doctors are committed to their patients and others are not?
Part 2: How do you think a patient might be able to find a helpful doctor?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be as concerned about their patients as Dontsova?
Essay Topic 2
Oleg gives a series of lectures to the other patients in the ward, which helps to inform them of different treatments.
Part 1: Why do you think Oleg decides to spend his energy on giving lectures?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients are benefited by the lectures, aside from the information?
Part 3: Do you think it strange that a patient would be giving lectures on health?
Essay Topic 3
The doctors and nurses have a no-nonsense attitude toward Pavel and his outbursts about how he is being treated.
Part 1: Why do you think Pavel wanted to report the care of the doctors and nurses?
Part 2: Do you think that Pavel has a case against the doctors and nurses? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a doctor and nurse should treat a patient who might be dying?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)