|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pavel is an important man in the Soviet Union and he has a tumor on his _______ when he comes to the ward.
2. To whom does Pavel say he will report the woman physicians because he is angry with his treatment?
3. How does Dontsova travel to and from the hospital?
4. Pavel and his wife claim to ______ people, but they do not want to be too close to them at the same time.
5. What does Yefrem decide he needs to tell all of the patients on the ward as a part of his life's mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
2. Why was Oleg never told about the original biopsies of his primary tumor?
3. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
4. What is the only concession that Pavel is allowed when he is entered into the cancer ward along with the other patients?
5. What is another way that Pavel decides to categorize the other patients in the ward with him, aside from the answer to #5?
6. What does Pavel almost forget to tell his wife during their Sunday visit at the hospital?
7. What does Yefrem consider to be a personal goal of his when he is in the cancer ward?
8. What does the new man say that life is for when Yefrem joins the conversation?
9. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
10. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his cancer treatment, Pavel is able to wear different things that the other patients, as well as to use a private room.
Part 1: Do you think that cancer can be treated more easily when a patient has certain creature comforts?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients felt about Pavel having the extra attention and perks?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel felt that he needed to have better treatment than the other patients?
Essay Topic 2
The senior surgeon, Yevgenia Ustinovna, smokes constantly and even uses two fingers to raise her lips.
Part 1: Do you think that a doctor should smoke?
Part 2: Would you want to be under the care of a physician who is always smoking?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be examples for their patients, in terms of healthy habits?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel Rusanov is an important man in the Soviet Union and he expects to be treated as such, no matter where he is.
Part 1: Do you think that importance is something that should be valued in society?
Part 2: Does it seem possible for a person to always be treated as if they are the most important person in the room?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel is a person who expects to be important wherever he goes?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)