|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pavel is ________ of his wife and of his station in life and is appalled by his treatment in the hospital.
2. Where was Oleg first when he was diagnosed with cancer, though he was not told of his test results?
3. Pavel refers to some of the other patients by their _________, as in the patients he calls Uz Becks.
4. What is Pavel allowed to wear, which is the only concession in his stay at the hospital?
5. What does Zoya tell Oleg not to take so that he can be able to maintain his virility when they have a chance to be together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
2. What does Pavel learn from his doctor when he asks about his health condition?
3. What does Zoya learn about the status of Oleg when they are talking in the doctor's lounge?
4. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
5. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
6. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
7. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
8. What is another way that Pavel decides to categorize the other patients in the ward with him, aside from the answer to #5?
9. What is the title of the story that most intrigues Yefrem in the collection of stories he is reading?
10. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dontsova is committed to the healing of her patients, using up her energy and her time to help them before helping herself.
Part 1: Why do you think some doctors are committed to their patients and others are not?
Part 2: How do you think a patient might be able to find a helpful doctor?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be as concerned about their patients as Dontsova?
Essay Topic 2
Oleg loved being in Ush-Terek when he was exiled before coming to the cancer ward.
Part 1: Why do you think that Oleg was happy with being in exile?
Part 2: How do you think being in exile might impact a person's mental health?
Part 3: Do you think you would enjoy being in exile away from family and friends?
Essay Topic 3
The doctors and nurses have a no-nonsense attitude toward Pavel and his outbursts about how he is being treated.
Part 1: Why do you think Pavel wanted to report the care of the doctors and nurses?
Part 2: Do you think that Pavel has a case against the doctors and nurses? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a doctor and nurse should treat a patient who might be dying?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)