|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zoya invite Oleg to sit with her when she is on a break during her shift?
2. How does Zoya get to her job at the hospital ward, according to the story?
3. The men constantly think about how difficult it was for them to get ___________ to the cancer ward.
4. Pavel is ________ of his wife and of his station in life and is appalled by his treatment in the hospital.
5. What does Vadim feel he has to contribute to the world during his short time on the planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sibgator decide that he wants to stand in the hallway instead of having a bed like everyone else in the ward?
2. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
3. What does Vera tell Pavel when he begins to get upset with the others in the room?
4. What does Oleg know about Vera, even though this does not stop him from being attracted to her?
5. What does Pavel learn from his doctor when he asks about his health condition?
6. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
7. What does Kapa try to give to the nurse, though the nurse says that she cannot accept this from her?
8. What does the orderly do though she has only completed a part of her job?
9. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
10. What does Vera find in Oleg's cabinet before an inspection of the ward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his cancer treatment, Pavel is able to wear different things that the other patients, as well as to use a private room.
Part 1: Do you think that cancer can be treated more easily when a patient has certain creature comforts?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients felt about Pavel having the extra attention and perks?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel felt that he needed to have better treatment than the other patients?
Essay Topic 2
Oleg seems to be a bit of a playboy on the ward, falling in love with several women.
Part 1: Do you think a cancer ward is the best place for a person to find love?
Part 2: How do you think a person could create a healthy relationship in a hospital?
Part 3: Do you think patients should strike up relationships with their health care workers?
Essay Topic 3
Pavel knows that he has manipulated many people in order to get the things he has, but cancer will not respond in the same way.
Part 1: Do you think there is ever a good reason to manipulate someone else?
Part 2: How do you think manipulation can work in your favor?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel feels that manipulation is the best way to get what he wants?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)