|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose magic root needs to be poured out in order to avoid being found by the authorities?
2. Vera is more concerned about ________, so she decides to spend more time with him than usual.
3. Nellya is a(n) _________ who only does a part of her job, choosing instead to take a nap in the middle of her shift.
4. Someone wanted to throw Oleg out of the hospital because he was not from ________, according to his recollection.
5. Pavel is an important man in the Soviet Union and he has a tumor on his _______ when he comes to the ward.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
2. What does the new man say that life is for when Yefrem joins the conversation?
3. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
4. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
5. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
6. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
7. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
8. What is the only concession that Pavel is allowed when he is entered into the cancer ward along with the other patients?
9. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
10. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vadim has an important discovery to share with the world, so he makes it his life mission to use every moment he has.
Part 1: Do you think that everyone has something important to contribute to the world?
Part 2: How do you think that Vadim's cancer is impacting his work?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to value every moment in one's life?
Essay Topic 2
Oleg gives a series of lectures to the other patients in the ward, which helps to inform them of different treatments.
Part 1: Why do you think Oleg decides to spend his energy on giving lectures?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients are benefited by the lectures, aside from the information?
Part 3: Do you think it strange that a patient would be giving lectures on health?
Essay Topic 3
Zoya is a nurse who has too many patients and not enough support to help them all as much as they need to be helped.
Part 1: Why do you think a hospital would employ fewer nurses than they need?
Part 2: How do you think the care of patients is affected by not having enough nurses available?
Part 3: Do you think that Zoya and other nurses are working as hard as they could to cover the extra patients?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)