|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dontsova tell Oleg about his treatment, which is why he cannot leave just yet?
2. Vera allows people to assume she has a _________ since she feels it would be embarrassing to admit otherwise.
3. Oleg tells Zoya she should move to the ________ of Kazakhstan when she gets her medical license.
4. Who is the author of the short stories that Yefrem is reading, which causes Pavel to laugh?
5. Zoya just wants a ________ to be her husband so that she can have a better life than her parents did.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zoya learn about the status of Oleg when they are talking in the doctor's lounge?
2. What is the title of the story that most intrigues Yefrem in the collection of stories he is reading?
3. What does Vera find in Oleg's cabinet before an inspection of the ward?
4. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
5. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
6. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
7. Why was Oleg never told about the original biopsies of his primary tumor?
8. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
9. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
10. What does Yefrem consider to be a personal goal of his when he is in the cancer ward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctors and nurses are unable to tell the patients that they are dying, even if that information is in their medical records.
Part 1: Why do you think telling patients about their health is not allowed?
Part 2: Would you want to know if you were dying? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think not telling the patients they are dying helps those on the cancer ward?
Essay Topic 2
Dontsova has a thesis in progress, but she does not have the time to work on it because of her work in the cancer ward.
Part 1: Do you think that a thesis is something that should be more important than work?
Part 2: How do you think Dontsova might improve her work as a doctor if she were to be able to finish her thesis?
Part 3: Why do you think Dontsova doesn't have the time to complete it?
Essay Topic 3
Oleg gives a series of lectures to the other patients in the ward, which helps to inform them of different treatments.
Part 1: Why do you think Oleg decides to spend his energy on giving lectures?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients are benefited by the lectures, aside from the information?
Part 3: Do you think it strange that a patient would be giving lectures on health?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)