|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chief surgeon in the cancer ward do which causes some to think she is not setting a good example?
2. How old is Vadim when he comes to the ward, knowing that he only has months to live?
3. Dontsova tells Oleg that he should stay in the ward because she wants to _______ him, even though he is feeling better now.
4. What does Dontsova decide to grab on her way home from the hospital?
5. Dontsova is compared to a(n)on _________ which is overworked and overused, according to the text in the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pavel learn from his doctor when he asks about his health condition?
2. Why does the head man want to throw Oleg out of the hospital during the inspection?
3. Why is the administrative assistant Olympiada going to be away from the hospital for a few days?
4. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
5. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
6. Why does Sibgator decide that he wants to stand in the hallway instead of having a bed like everyone else in the ward?
7. What is the title of the story that most intrigues Yefrem in the collection of stories he is reading?
8. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
9. What does Pavel almost forget to tell his wife during their Sunday visit at the hospital?
10. What does Vera tell Pavel when he begins to get upset with the others in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pavel knows that he has manipulated many people in order to get the things he has, but cancer will not respond in the same way.
Part 1: Do you think there is ever a good reason to manipulate someone else?
Part 2: How do you think manipulation can work in your favor?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel feels that manipulation is the best way to get what he wants?
Essay Topic 2
Pavel and his wife claim to love people, but they do not want to be too close to them.
Part 1: Can you love a person without being close to them?
Part 2: How do you think Pavel and his wife define the idea of love in relation to others?
Part 3: Do you think that you can love people without wanting to be close to them?
Essay Topic 3
The doctors and nurses have a no-nonsense attitude toward Pavel and his outbursts about how he is being treated.
Part 1: Why do you think Pavel wanted to report the care of the doctors and nurses?
Part 2: Do you think that Pavel has a case against the doctors and nurses? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a doctor and nurse should treat a patient who might be dying?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)