|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the patients is announced to have died during this portion of the story?
2. Pavel and his wife claim to ______ people, but they do not want to be too close to them at the same time.
3. Which patient tells the surgeon that he is tired of the cutting and wants to be released?
4. Dyomka and the new man are talking about _________ when this particular chapter begins.
5. What are Oleg and Zoya filling up in the supply room when they suddenly begin kissing each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
2. What is the physical symptom that Dontsova is experiencing though she does not tell anyone about it?
3. What does Zoya learn about the status of Oleg when they are talking in the doctor's lounge?
4. What does Pavel almost forget to tell his wife during their Sunday visit at the hospital?
5. What does Vera find in Oleg's cabinet before an inspection of the ward?
6. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
7. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
8. What does Kapa try to give to the nurse, though the nurse says that she cannot accept this from her?
9. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
10. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yefrem knows that he is fighting death and that he needs to do all he can while he is still alive.
Part 1: What is the value of life?
Part 2: How do you think you might react if you were given a short period to live?
Part 3: Why do you think people tend to create more personal goals as they come closer to death?
Essay Topic 2
In his cancer treatment, Pavel is able to wear different things that the other patients, as well as to use a private room.
Part 1: Do you think that cancer can be treated more easily when a patient has certain creature comforts?
Part 2: How do you think the other patients felt about Pavel having the extra attention and perks?
Part 3: Why do you think Pavel felt that he needed to have better treatment than the other patients?
Essay Topic 3
There weren't tracking devices for measuring how much radiation a person has gotten in their lives, causing people like Dontsova to get radiation sickness.
Part 1: Why do you think tracking devices weren't used to track one's exposure to radiation?
Part 2: Do you think that radiation tracking devices were available during the time period of the book?
Part 3: How do you think current hospitals might track the radiation that a person receives?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)