|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zoya like to do when she is not actively helping patients on the ward or studying for school?
2. What is the number of the ward that Pavel is directed to when he arrives at the hospital?
3. What does Pavel receive after he has had a chance to read the paper after Oleg reads it?
4. Who did Pavel put into a school as a result of sending away the child of the woman in the dream?
5. How old is Vadim when he comes to the ward, knowing that he only has months to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
2. What does Yefrem consider to be a personal goal of his when he is in the cancer ward?
3. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
4. When the new man and Dyomka are talking in the ward, what does one of the men say it is better to do than to die?
5. What does Vera find in Oleg's cabinet before an inspection of the ward?
6. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
7. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
8. Why was Oleg never told about the original biopsies of his primary tumor?
9. What does the orderly do though she has only completed a part of her job?
10. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dontsova has a thesis in progress, but she does not have the time to work on it because of her work in the cancer ward.
Part 1: Do you think that a thesis is something that should be more important than work?
Part 2: How do you think Dontsova might improve her work as a doctor if she were to be able to finish her thesis?
Part 3: Why do you think Dontsova doesn't have the time to complete it?
Essay Topic 2
Vadim has an important discovery to share with the world, so he makes it his life mission to use every moment he has.
Part 1: Do you think that everyone has something important to contribute to the world?
Part 2: How do you think that Vadim's cancer is impacting his work?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to value every moment in one's life?
Essay Topic 3
The senior surgeon, Yevgenia Ustinovna, smokes constantly and even uses two fingers to raise her lips.
Part 1: Do you think that a doctor should smoke?
Part 2: Would you want to be under the care of a physician who is always smoking?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be examples for their patients, in terms of healthy habits?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)