|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The tumor that Pavel has prevents him from being able to ____________, which causes him to change the way he interacts with others.
2. What is Pavel allowed to wear, which is the only concession in his stay at the hospital?
3. What is the treatment that Vadim receives when he is first admitted to the cancer ward?
4. Pavel assigns ________ to the other patients on the ward after they begin to make fun of him for thinking he doesn't have cancer.
5. Where is Pavel during his long and strange dream that he has during his treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sibgator decide that he wants to stand in the hallway instead of having a bed like everyone else in the ward?
2. What does the new man say that life is for when Yefrem joins the conversation?
3. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
4. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
5. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
6. What is the physical symptom that Dontsova is experiencing though she does not tell anyone about it?
7. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
8. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
9. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
10. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is very difficult to get admitted to the cancer ward, according to the patients.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so difficult to get admitted to the cancer ward?
Part 2: What might you do if you were unable to get admitted to a cancer ward?
Part 3: Do you think that all patients should be admitted for cancer treatment?
Essay Topic 2
The senior surgeon, Yevgenia Ustinovna, smokes constantly and even uses two fingers to raise her lips.
Part 1: Do you think that a doctor should smoke?
Part 2: Would you want to be under the care of a physician who is always smoking?
Part 3: Do you think that all doctors should be examples for their patients, in terms of healthy habits?
Essay Topic 3
The doctors and nurses are unable to tell the patients that they are dying, even if that information is in their medical records.
Part 1: Why do you think telling patients about their health is not allowed?
Part 2: Would you want to know if you were dying? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think not telling the patients they are dying helps those on the cancer ward?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)