|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The nurse says there is no one to whom she could give the ________, even if she could take it from Pavel.
2. What does Pavel want his wife to research when she goes back home from the hospital?
(a) Radiation sickness.
(b) His government position.
(c) Vera and Dontsova.
(d) Birch tree fungus.
3. How does Zoya get to her job at the hospital ward, according to the story?
(b) A friend drives her.
(c) By foot.
(d) Her car.
4. In the dream, Pavel is told by a woman that he is the man who made her husband ________ over the years.
(a) Be promoted.
5. Vera allows people to assume she has a _________ since she feels it would be embarrassing to admit otherwise.
(b) Medical degree.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his dream, Pavel's _______ hurts, but he can not remember why this hurts at all.
2. Kapa tells Pavel she has received a letter from his ________ which brings Pavel bad news about the town.
3. Who comes with Kapa to drop Pavel off at the hospital when he is admitted to the cancer ward?
4. What does the chief surgeon in the cancer ward do which causes some to think she is not setting a good example?
5. Pavel is an important man in the Soviet Union and he has a tumor on his _______ when he comes to the ward.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kapa try to give to the nurse, though the nurse says that she cannot accept this from her?
2. What does Vera tell Pavel when he begins to get upset with the others in the room?
3. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
4. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
5. What is another way that Pavel decides to categorize the other patients in the ward with him, aside from the answer to #5?
6. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
7. Why is the administrative assistant Olympiada going to be away from the hospital for a few days?
8. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
9. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
10. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)