|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pavel is an important man in the Soviet Union and he has a tumor on his _______ when he comes to the ward.
2. It is revealed that Pavel is a(n) _____________ supervisor and was instrumental in having many people removed from the town.
(d) Personnel records.
3. Where was Oleg first when he was diagnosed with cancer, though he was not told of his test results?
(a) A school.
(b) Field hospital.
(d) Boarding school.
4. Who comes with Kapa to drop Pavel off at the hospital when he is admitted to the cancer ward?
(b) No one.
(d) An armed guard.
5. Vera learns there will be an ________ the next day so the hospital staff needs to put away anything that was not a part of what was issued to the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zoya just wants a ________ to be her husband so that she can have a better life than her parents did.
2. What does Oleg reveal to be his status in the country when he is speaking with Zoya after she gets off work?
3. Dontsova and Vera work for hours every day without any __________ for their efforts.
4. In the dream, Pavel is told by a woman that he is the man who made her husband ________ over the years.
5. What is the main physical symptom that Dontsova is suffering herself and that she knows is a sign of a serious problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
2. What is the title of the story that most intrigues Yefrem in the collection of stories he is reading?
3. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
4. What does the orderly do though she has only completed a part of her job?
5. Why has Zoya decided to wear a particular dress on the day that starts out this section of the book?
6. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
7. What does the new man say that life is for when Yefrem joins the conversation?
8. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
9. What is the physical symptom that Dontsova is experiencing though she does not tell anyone about it?
10. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)