|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yefrem doesn't listen to Pavel because he is thinking more about his _________ than anything else.
2. Where was Oleg first when he was diagnosed with cancer, though he was not told of his test results?
(a) Field hospital.
(b) A school.
(d) Boarding school.
3. Where is the cancer that Sibgator has, causing him to be in extreme pain most of the time?
(a) His back.
(b) His stomach.
(c) His neck.
(d) His arm.
4. What is Zoya studying in the book when she is talking with the other patients?
5. Pavel refers to some of the other patients by their _________, as in the patients he calls Uz Becks.
(d) Regional heritage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yefrem believes the men should be talking about what a man's ________ is for, instead of talking about other nonsense.
2. Which of the patients is announced to have died during this portion of the story?
3. What is the nickname that is assigned to Kostoglotov by Pavel when Pavel first meets this person?
4. What does Pavel want his wife to research when she goes back home from the hospital?
5. Who looks at the patients with contempt and refuses to learn more about them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oleg know about Vera, even though this does not stop him from being attracted to her?
2. Why is Pavel furious when Oleg takes the paper when it is delivered by a nurse?
3. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
4. Why does the head man want to throw Oleg out of the hospital during the inspection?
5. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
6. What does Vera tell Pavel when he begins to get upset with the others in the room?
7. Why did Oleg come to the hospital in the first place, according to his conversation with others?
8. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
9. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
10. What does Pavel learn from his doctor when he asks about his health condition?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)