|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dontsova is compared to a(n)on _________ which is overworked and overused, according to the text in the book.
(d) X-ray machine.
2. How many other patients are assigned to the ward that Pavel is assigned to, though he does not care to know them?
3. What does Oleg reveal to be his status in the country when he is speaking with Zoya after she gets off work?
(a) Criminal exile.
(c) Administrative exile.
(d) Political exile.
4. Which of the patients is announced to have died during this portion of the story?
5. Yefrem doesn't listen to Pavel because he is thinking more about his _________ than anything else.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is revealed that Pavel is a(n) _____________ supervisor and was instrumental in having many people removed from the town.
2. Nellya is a(n) _________ who only does a part of her job, choosing instead to take a nap in the middle of her shift.
3. What is the treatment that Vadim receives when he is first admitted to the cancer ward?
4. What is the main physical symptom that Dontsova is suffering herself and that she knows is a sign of a serious problem?
5. Dontsova has had far more exposure to _________ than is healthy, which is why she is becoming ill herself.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
2. What does Yefrem consider to be a personal goal of his when he is in the cancer ward?
3. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
4. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
5. What does Pavel do with the other patients in the ward since he does not want to learn their names when he sees them?
6. What does Pavel learn from his doctor when he asks about his health condition?
7. When the new man and Dyomka are talking in the ward, what does one of the men say it is better to do than to die?
8. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
9. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
10. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)