|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nellya is a(n) _________ who only does a part of her job, choosing instead to take a nap in the middle of her shift.
2. What did Pavel and his wife make in order to try to bypass the normal treatment regimens in the hospital?
(c) Car rides.
3. On what day of the week does Pavel's wife come to see him in the cancer ward?
4. What does Kostoglotov ask to borrow from Zoya when they are flirting together at the nurses station?
(b) Medical textbook.
(d) A bottle of water.
5. Yefrem is described as feeling his _______ receding as a part of the disease he is faced with in the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dontsova is concerned about patients who have experienced ____________, even as they were treated in other parts of their bodies.
2. Who does Vera remember as being difficult even when he first started to stay in the cancer ward?
3. What is the form of government that is in place at the time of the Soviet Union in the story?
4. How old is Vadim when he comes to the ward, knowing that he only has months to live?
5. Whose magic root needs to be poured out in order to avoid being found by the authorities?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what does Zoya ask Oleg to help her when she arrives at the hospital for her shift?
2. What is the advice that Oleg gives to Zoya when they are talking at the nurses station?
3. What does Kapa try to give to the nurse, though the nurse says that she cannot accept this from her?
4. What does Ustinovna do when she is not smoking a cigarette, which shows that she is a heavy smoker?
5. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
6. What does the orderly do though she has only completed a part of her job?
7. Why does Zoya have trouble getting her work done when she is on shift at the hospital?
8. What does Pavel find out in the paper when he finally gets a chance to read it after Oleg is done?
9. What does Oleg know about Vera, even though this does not stop him from being attracted to her?
10. What is the secret that Vera has been keeping, one that others assume is not the truth and she does not correct them?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)