|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The surgeon tells Proshka that she will explain his _________ to him before his discharge from the cancer ward.
(c) Home life.
2. Who is the author of the short stories that Yefrem is reading, which causes Pavel to laugh?
3. Oleg tells Dontsova that he came to the hospital in order to have his ________ alleviated, according to his description of his history.
4. Dontsova is compared to a(n)on _________ which is overworked and overused, according to the text in the book.
(b) X-ray machine.
5. Vera remembers another patient just like Pavel who had accused her of trying to __________ him when he was in the ward.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dontsova and Vera work for hours every day without any __________ for their efforts.
2. What does the nurse bring to the ward that Pavel wants to see before anyone else?
3. Pavel is an important man in the Soviet Union and he has a tumor on his _______ when he comes to the ward.
4. Pavel refers to some of the other patients by their _________, as in the patients he calls Uz Becks.
5. What did Pavel and his wife make in order to try to bypass the normal treatment regimens in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of Pavel and his wife making a number of calls before Pavel is admitted to the cancer ward?
2. What does Vera tell Pavel when he begins to get upset with the others in the room?
3. How does Zoya break the rules with the other patients in the ward after Kostoglotov asks to see her books?
4. Why does Sibgator decide that he wants to stand in the hallway instead of having a bed like everyone else in the ward?
5. Why does Dontsova have far more radiation in her body than is healthy for a person to have?
6. What does Zoya learn about the status of Oleg when they are talking in the doctor's lounge?
7. Why was Oleg never told about the original biopsies of his primary tumor?
8. Why is the administrative assistant Olympiada going to be away from the hospital for a few days?
9. What is the only concession that Pavel is allowed when he is entered into the cancer ward along with the other patients?
10. When the new man and Dyomka are talking in the ward, what does one of the men say it is better to do than to die?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)