|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reaction of the two women who were given the punishment they were given by Yuri for stealing?
2. When ________ comes back, Oleg decides to have the transfusion anyway since he trusts this person more.
3. What does Chaly offer to Pavel before they begin to talk about their lives in more detail?
(c) Birch bark fungus.
4. Vera says that she must write a _________ of Oleg's illness before he can be discharged from the hospital.
5. What does Oleg decide to buy for Vera when he begins to go to her house to see her?
6. How many injections has Pavel had at this point of the story, though they are helping his tumor shrink?
7. The doctor talks about how the present _________ has robbed children of their trusted family doctor.
(a) Road system.
(b) Cancer ward.
(c) Medical school.
(d) Soviet society.
8. Oleg was in a situation where the _______________ were used only for the privileged in society.
(a) Government programs.
(b) Housing projects.
(c) Prison camps.
9. Out of the five doctors who are receiving pay, how many of them are capable of operating on patients?
(a) All of them.
10. What did Oleg feel he needed to wait to do when he was living in the wild land?
(a) Talk to his family.
(b) Get treatment.
11. What was missing from the truck when the truck driver returned from a blizzard?
(d) Case of macaroni.
12. Where does Oleg go in order to go back to Ush-Terek?
(a) The hospital.
(b) Exile office.
(c) Vera's house.
(d) Train station.
13. Who is the surgeon that operates on Dyomka's back during the story, according to the text?
14. Whose mother has found the special treatment for his cancer, and she is sending it through channels?
15. To what does Dyomka finally agree in order to be moved out of the ward?
(b) To being cured.
(c) To having more injections.
(d) To no more treatments.
Short Answer Questions
1. While it is the second anniversary of _______ death, there is only a small article in the paper about this event, which disappoints Pavel.
2. At what Soviet university was Shulubin a professor before he came to the cancer ward to be treated?
3. What are doctors expecting Pavel to develop at any moment of his current treatment program?
4. Who believes the purpose of the rounds is to help cheer the patients up during their stay?
5. Who does Pavel now lay beside since he is in too much pain to fight or to argue?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)