|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oleg was in a situation where the _______________ were used only for the privileged in society.
(a) Prison camps.
(b) Housing projects.
(d) Government programs.
2. Who is the surgeon that operates on Dyomka's back during the story, according to the text?
3. Chaly admits that he has _________ when he comes back into the room with the other patients.
(a) A boyfriend.
(b) Two wives.
(c) Upset the government.
4. __________ wants to get healthy, return to his village, marry, and have children, according to his plans.
5. Who believes the purpose of the rounds is to help cheer the patients up during their stay?
6. What does Oleg learn about Lev during this section of the story? Lev has been __________.
(a) Trained in holistic medicine.
(b) A government man.
(c) In prison camp.
(d) To the United States.
7. At the start of this section, who is walking the grounds of the hospital, remembering where he used to live?
8. What does Oleg realize about Vera when she comes with Zoya to examine him while on rounds?
(a) She is angry with him.
(b) She is bored.
(c) She is scared.
(d) She knows about Zoya.
9. What will Dontsova not read because she doesn't want to know what they say about her?
(b) Lab reports.
(d) Progress notes.
10. How many years in prison was the truck driver's sentence when the loss in the truck was discovered?
(a) 5 years.
(b) He didn't get into trouble.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 4 years.
11. On what day of the week is Oleg discharged from the hospital, free to go back to Ush-Terek?
12. The deserter was released during ____________ time, but this did not mean the Kadmins were free to go.
(b) Cold war.
13. Who does Pavel now lay beside since he is in too much pain to fight or to argue?
14. Who decides that Oleg should not see Vera so he is told that she is not there?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her roommates.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her brother.
15. In the case of the women who were accused of stealing, what was their punishment?
(a) Jail time.
(b) Community service.
(c) Capital punishment.
(d) Pay back what they stole.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oleg protests with the transfusion he is about to be given because he believes the blood is _________.
2. One of the ________ was exiled as well and lost her daughter in the process.
3. The idea of _______ socialism is something that Shulubin promotes when he is talking with Oleg about his past and the future.
4. Who walks the halls because he cannot sleep in his bed before he is released?
5. What does the doctor decide he wants to do for Dontsova after listening to her symptoms?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)