|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Pavel during his long and strange dream that he has during his treatment?
(a) His home.
(b) A lake.
(c) Long tube.
(d) A hospital.
2. Whose magic root needs to be poured out in order to avoid being found by the authorities?
(b) No one's.
3. What is the treatment that Vadim receives when he is first admitted to the cancer ward?
(b) Birch bark fungus.
4. How old is Vadim when he comes to the ward, knowing that he only has months to live?
5. What is the main physical symptom that Dontsova is suffering herself and that she knows is a sign of a serious problem?
(a) Leg pain.
(b) Stomach pain.
(c) Head pain.
(d) Arm pain.
6. What does Oleg reveal to be his status in the country when he is speaking with Zoya after she gets off work?
(b) Administrative exile.
(c) Political exile.
(d) Criminal exile.
7. Pavel refers to some of the other patients by their _________, as in the patients he calls Uz Becks.
(c) Regional heritage.
8. Pavel is an important man in the Soviet Union and he has a tumor on his _______ when he comes to the ward.
9. What does Zoya like to do when she is not actively helping patients on the ward or studying for school?
(a) Read romance novels.
(b) Watch TV.
10. The tumor that Pavel has prevents him from being able to ____________, which causes him to change the way he interacts with others.
(b) Turn from side to side.
(c) Move his body.
(d) Lift his arm.
11. Pavel and his wife claim to ______ people, but they do not want to be too close to them at the same time.
12. What does Yefrem decide he needs to tell all of the patients on the ward as a part of his life's mission?
(a) They are going to die.
(b) They are all a part of the system.
(c) He is going to die.
(d) They are being told lies.
13. What is Dontsova also trying to complete, though she doesn't seem to have the time for this assignment?
(d) Case study.
14. Who looks at the patients with contempt and refuses to learn more about them?
15. Vera remembers another patient just like Pavel who had accused her of trying to __________ him when he was in the ward.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yefrem decide the answer to the question of what do men live by is?
2. Who is supposed to be absent from the ward for ten days in order to attend a political rally?
3. Oleg tells Zoya she should move to the ________ of Kazakhstan when she gets her medical license.
4. How does Dontsova travel to and from the hospital?
5. What did Pavel and his wife make in order to try to bypass the normal treatment regimens in the hospital?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)