|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zoya get to her job at the hospital ward, according to the story?
(a) A friend drives her.
(b) Her car.
(d) By foot.
2. Pavel refers to some of the other patients by their _________, as in the patients he calls Uz Becks.
(a) Regional heritage.
3. Who comes with Kapa to drop Pavel off at the hospital when he is admitted to the cancer ward?
(b) No one.
(d) An armed guard.
4. Who is the night nurse trying to get her work done, but there is too much work for her to do?
5. What does Pavel receive after he has had a chance to read the paper after Oleg reads it?
6. Dontsova is a person who is committed to _______ her patients and to being everything she can be to everyone in her life.
7. Vera remembers another patient just like Pavel who had accused her of trying to __________ him when he was in the ward.
8. How does Dontsova travel to and from the hospital?
(b) By foot.
9. Where is the cancer that Sibgator has, causing him to be in extreme pain most of the time?
(a) His arm.
(b) His stomach.
(c) His back.
(d) His neck.
10. __________ is miserable and in pain when they are at the hospital for their treatment.
11. Which patient tells the surgeon that he is tired of the cutting and wants to be released?
12. What is the number of the ward that Pavel is directed to when he arrives at the hospital?
13. What does the chief surgeon in the cancer ward do which causes some to think she is not setting a good example?
(a) Ignore patients.
(b) Sleep on the job.
(c) Chain smoke.
(d) Reveal the diagnoses of patients.
14. Dyomka and the new man are talking about _________ when this particular chapter begins.
(a) Their military records.
(b) Past lives.
(c) Their wives.
15. What is the form of government that is in place at the time of the Soviet Union in the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zoya tell Oleg not to take so that he can be able to maintain his virility when they have a chance to be together?
2. What does Sibgator not have as a result of his condition, though other patients have one of these?
3. Pavel is ________ of his wife and of his station in life and is appalled by his treatment in the hospital.
4. Who can read a little Latin, which allows him to decipher that one patient has an untreatable tumor?
5. Which of the patients is announced to have died during this portion of the story?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)