|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________ is a very strong man, a construction worker who travels all over the Soviet Union to do the hardest work.
2. To whom does Pavel say he will report the woman physicians because he is angry with his treatment?
(a) The authorities.
(b) His wife.
(c) The president.
(d) His son.
3. Who is the night nurse trying to get her work done, but there is too much work for her to do?
4. What is the treatment that Vadim receives when he is first admitted to the cancer ward?
(b) Birch bark fungus.
5. What does the nurse give to Pavel when he wakes up from his injection?
6. What does the chief surgeon in the cancer ward do which causes some to think she is not setting a good example?
(a) Reveal the diagnoses of patients.
(b) Ignore patients.
(c) Sleep on the job.
(d) Chain smoke.
7. How does Dontsova travel to and from the hospital?
(c) By foot.
8. How does Zoya get to her job at the hospital ward, according to the story?
(a) By foot.
(c) A friend drives her.
(d) Her car.
9. The men constantly think about how difficult it was for them to get ___________ to the cancer ward.
(a) Money to go.
10. What is the main physical symptom that Dontsova is suffering herself and that she knows is a sign of a serious problem?
(a) Head pain.
(b) Leg pain.
(c) Stomach pain.
(d) Arm pain.
11. Vera tells Pavel that he can have a(n) _________ at 11:30am that day or he can choose to check out.
12. Where is Pavel during his long and strange dream that he has during his treatment?
(a) A hospital.
(b) His home.
(c) Long tube.
(d) A lake.
13. What does Dontsova tell Oleg about his treatment, which is why he cannot leave just yet?
(a) It's incomplete.
(b) It hasn't started.
(c) He isn't ready to go home.
(d) It doesn't work.
14. Zoya just wants a ________ to be her husband so that she can have a better life than her parents did.
(a) Strong man.
(b) Rich man.
(c) Powerful man.
(d) Good man.
15. Pavel is an important man in the Soviet Union and he has a tumor on his _______ when he comes to the ward.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pavel talks to his doctor about his condition, his doctor tells him that he does not have ___________.
2. Vera is more concerned about ________, so she decides to spend more time with him than usual.
3. What is Dontsova's excuse for not being able to finish a project on which she has been working for a long time?
4. __________ is miserable and in pain when they are at the hospital for their treatment.
5. Dyomka and the new man are talking about _________ when this particular chapter begins.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)