|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dontsova travel to and from the hospital?
(c) By foot.
2. Who is the night nurse trying to get her work done, but there is too much work for her to do?
3. What does Oleg begin to study in order to ensure he is healthy for when he is with Zoya?
(b) His body.
(c) Patient charts.
(d) Medical textbooks.
4. Yefrem is described as feeling his _______ receding as a part of the disease he is faced with in the story.
5. What does the chief surgeon in the cancer ward do which causes some to think she is not setting a good example?
(a) Ignore patients.
(b) Sleep on the job.
(c) Chain smoke.
(d) Reveal the diagnoses of patients.
6. What does Vadim feel he has to contribute to the world during his short time on the planet?
(a) His smile.
(c) A scientific discovery.
(d) His laugh.
7. Vera allows people to assume she has a _________ since she feels it would be embarrassing to admit otherwise.
(c) Medical degree.
8. Who tells the women physicians that he is ready to go home, as he often tells them during his time on the ward?
9. What does Oleg reveal to be his status in the country when he is speaking with Zoya after she gets off work?
(a) Administrative exile.
(c) Political exile.
(d) Criminal exile.
10. Which of the patients is announced to have died during this portion of the story?
11. During his dream, Pavel's _______ hurts, but he can not remember why this hurts at all.
12. Where is Pavel during his long and strange dream that he has during his treatment?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A lake.
(c) Long tube.
(d) His home.
13. Who can read a little Latin, which allows him to decipher that one patient has an untreatable tumor?
14. Pavel refers to some of the other patients by their _________, as in the patients he calls Uz Becks.
(c) Regional heritage.
15. What does Yefrem decide the answer to the question of what do men live by is?
Short Answer Questions
1. Pavel assigns ________ to the other patients on the ward after they begin to make fun of him for thinking he doesn't have cancer.
2. Dontsova is compared to a(n)on _________ which is overworked and overused, according to the text in the book.
3. The nurse says there is no one to whom she could give the ________, even if she could take it from Pavel.
4. On what day of the week does Pavel's wife come to see him in the cancer ward?
5. Vera is more concerned about ________, so she decides to spend more time with him than usual.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)