|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day of the week does Pavel's wife come to see him in the cancer ward?
2. What is the nickname that is assigned to Kostoglotov by Pavel when Pavel first meets this person?
(a) Demon man.
(b) Bone crusher.
(c) Mad hatter.
(d) Dark hunter.
3. What is Pavel allowed to wear, which is the only concession in his stay at the hospital?
(a) A hat.
(c) Special badge.
(d) His socks from home.
4. What is the form of government that is in place at the time of the Soviet Union in the story?
5. Where is Pavel told to go to when he answers the phone as a part of his dream?
(a) Cancer ward.
(d) Supreme Court.
6. Pavel is an important man in the Soviet Union and he has a tumor on his _______ when he comes to the ward.
7. During his dream, Pavel's _______ hurts, but he can not remember why this hurts at all.
8. What does Yefrem decide he needs to tell all of the patients on the ward as a part of his life's mission?
(a) They are all a part of the system.
(b) He is going to die.
(c) They are being told lies.
(d) They are going to die.
9. What does Oleg believe Zoya looks like when she takes off her nurse's cap?
(a) His mother.
(b) An angel.
(d) Teddy bear.
10. What does Vadim feel he has to contribute to the world during his short time on the planet?
(a) A scientific discovery.
(b) His laugh.
(c) His smile.
11. Dontsova tells Oleg that he should stay in the ward because she wants to _______ him, even though he is feeling better now.
(a) Get to know.
12. Where does Zoya invite Oleg to sit with her when she is on a break during her shift?
(a) Doctor's lounge.
(b) The courtyard.
(c) The womens bathroom.
(d) Nurses lounge.
13. Dontsova has had far more exposure to _________ than is healthy, which is why she is becoming ill herself.
(d) Cleaning products.
14. Vera allows people to assume she has a _________ since she feels it would be embarrassing to admit otherwise.
(c) Medical degree.
15. Pavel and his wife claim to ______ people, but they do not want to be too close to them at the same time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pavel learns that Rodichev has been ________ and that he is now returning to the town.
2. Which of the patients is announced to have died during this portion of the story?
3. What does Dontsova decide to grab on her way home from the hospital?
4. Dontsova is concerned about patients who have experienced ____________, even as they were treated in other parts of their bodies.
5. Zoya just wants a ________ to be her husband so that she can have a better life than her parents did.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)