|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yefrem believes the men should be talking about what a man's ________ is for, instead of talking about other nonsense.
2. Who did Pavel put into a school as a result of sending away the child of the woman in the dream?
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her son.
3. Dyomka and the new man are talking about _________ when this particular chapter begins.
(a) Their military records.
(b) Their wives.
(d) Past lives.
4. Oleg tells Zoya she should move to the ________ of Kazakhstan when she gets her medical license.
5. What does Yefrem decide he needs to tell all of the patients on the ward as a part of his life's mission?
(a) They are all a part of the system.
(b) They are being told lies.
(c) They are going to die.
(d) He is going to die.
6. Dontsova is compared to a(n)on _________ which is overworked and overused, according to the text in the book.
(c) X-ray machine.
7. What is the number of the ward that Pavel is directed to when he arrives at the hospital?
8. When Pavel talks to his doctor about his condition, his doctor tells him that he does not have ___________.
(b) A chance.
(d) To worry about medication.
9. Who looks at the patients with contempt and refuses to learn more about them?
10. Kapa tells Pavel she has received a letter from his ________ which brings Pavel bad news about the town.
11. What is the main physical symptom that Dontsova is suffering herself and that she knows is a sign of a serious problem?
(a) Arm pain.
(b) Leg pain.
(c) Head pain.
(d) Stomach pain.
12. Pavel is an important man in the Soviet Union and he has a tumor on his _______ when he comes to the ward.
13. Vera allows people to assume she has a _________ since she feels it would be embarrassing to admit otherwise.
(c) Medical degree.
14. Nellya is a(n) _________ who only does a part of her job, choosing instead to take a nap in the middle of her shift.
15. What is Dontsova's excuse for not being able to finish a project on which she has been working for a long time?
(a) No energy.
(b) She doesn't care about it anymore.
(c) No time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vera learns there will be an ________ the next day so the hospital staff needs to put away anything that was not a part of what was issued to the hospital.
2. Vera is more concerned about ________, so she decides to spend more time with him than usual.
3. What does Kapa attempt to give the nurse in order to help Pavel get better treatment than others?
4. _________ is a very strong man, a construction worker who travels all over the Soviet Union to do the hardest work.
5. What does Pavel receive after he has had a chance to read the paper after Oleg reads it?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)