|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of things does Buck remember at night after he has become the leader?
2. How is the team acting while Buck and Spitz are fighting?
3. How does Buck view John?
4. What is Francois ordered to do when they reach their destination?
5. How is Dave killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Dave after running the same trail too many times?
2. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
3. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
4. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
5. What does Buck do to cement his role as the leader under his new owners?
6. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
7. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
8. What happens on the morning Dave is killed?
9. How do John's dogs react to Buck being included into John's house?
10. Why does Buck refuse to take another step with Hal and Charles when they are about to cross the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal was a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Each of the dogs had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the dogs, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)