|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Buck view John?
2. Why does the new owner think the dogs are unable to move his sled?
3. What is Perrault ordered to do when they reach their destination?
4. How many dogs belonging to the inexperienced owners die on the trail?
5. What does John do when Buck tries to obey the crazy order?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the men and the dogs not able to rest when they return to Skaguay from Dawson?
2. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
3. How does Buck feel when he begins the journey with his new and inexperienced owners?
4. What does Buck like to do at night while he is on the trail?
5. What happens when the dogs try to pull the overloaded sled of the inexperienced men?
6. What happens on the morning Dave is killed?
7. What does Buck do to cement his role as the leader under his new owners?
8. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
9. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
10. What crazy command does John ask of Buck one day that Buck heedlessly tries to follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Buck and John show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)