|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is John left by the river when he is injured?
2. What do the owners do to the dogs that refuse to pull the sled any longer?
3. How does Buck perform after Spitz is killed?
4. What does Buck do to cement his place as a leader under the new driver?
5. How does Buck feel about getting a new owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buck do to cement his role as the leader under his new owners?
2. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
3. Why is John left at the river?
4. What happens when the dogs try to pull the overloaded sled of the inexperienced men?
5. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
6. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
7. What does Buck do to other men that he does not do to John?
8. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
9. What does Buck like to do at night while he is on the trail?
10. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal was a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 3
Dave was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)