|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Buck want to be harnessed when he returns to camp after killing Spitz?
2. What kind of reputation does Buck have after killing Spitz?
3. What are most of the dogs on the team doing when they return to Skaguay?
4. Who haunts Buck at John's fireside?
5. How does Buck view John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the morning Dave is killed?
2. What does Buck like to do at night while he is on the trail?
3. What happens to Dave after running the same trail too many times?
4. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
5. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
6. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
7. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
8. What does Buck do to cement his role as the leader under his new owners?
9. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
10. What crazy command does John ask of Buck one day that Buck heedlessly tries to follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between the dogs on the dog team change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
Mercy and Justice were two themes that played a huge role in this book. Where are these themes present, and which characters are most affected by them?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)