|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the dogs need most, and are denied, by the new and inexperienced owners?
2. What crazy thing does John order Buck to do one day?
3. What is Buck so good at after Spitz is dead?
4. How is the team acting while Buck and Spitz are fighting?
5. Why does Buck refuse to go with the inexperienced men?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
2. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
3. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
4. What does Buck do to cement his role as the leader under his new owners?
5. What happens to Dave after running the same trail too many times?
6. How do John's dogs react to Buck being included into John's house?
7. Why is John left at the river?
8. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
9. Why does Buck refuse to take another step with Hal and Charles when they are about to cross the river?
10. What happens when the men take Mercedes off of the sled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Dave was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)