|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John do to the man beating Buck?
2. How does Buck show his care for John?
3. What does Buck see that lets him know his new owners are clueless?
4. Why does the new owner think the dogs are unable to move his sled?
5. Why does Buck refuse to go with the inexperienced men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
2. How does John treat his dogs?
3. What happens when the dogs try to pull the overloaded sled of the inexperienced men?
4. How do John's dogs react to Buck being included into John's house?
5. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
6. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
7. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
8. What happens when the men take Mercedes off of the sled?
9. Why does Buck refuse to take another step with Hal and Charles when they are about to cross the river?
10. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mercy and Justice were two themes that played a huge role in this book. Where are these themes present, and which characters are most affected by them?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 3
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)