|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do John's dogs react when John takes on Buck's care as well?
2. Why is John left by the river when he is injured?
3. How long does it take for the team to return to Skaguay?
4. How does Buck perform after Spitz is killed?
5. What do the people do when Francois and Perrault deliver their mail in record time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
2. What does Buck like to do at night while he is on the trail?
3. What happens to Dave after running the same trail too many times?
4. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
5. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
6. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
7. Why does Buck refuse to take another step with Hal and Charles when they are about to cross the river?
8. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
9. Why is John left at the river?
10. What happens when the dogs try to pull the overloaded sled of the inexperienced men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Dave was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Buck and Spitz were both very dynamic leaders in this book with strong followings. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their followers, and their role in the plot?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)