|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buck never ask John for?
2. Where is John Thornton's camp?
3. What does John do when Buck tries to obey the crazy order?
4. What is Francois ordered to do when they reach their destination?
5. What season is it when John finds Buck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Buck feel when he begins the journey with his new and inexperienced owners?
2. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
3. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
4. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
5. What happens when the men take Mercedes off of the sled?
6. What happens to Dave after running the same trail too many times?
7. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
8. Why are the men and the dogs not able to rest when they return to Skaguay from Dawson?
9. How do John's dogs react to Buck being included into John's house?
10. What does Buck do to other men that he does not do to John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Buck and Spitz were both very dynamic leaders in this book with strong followings. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their followers, and their role in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What happens at the Lost Cabin, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)