|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave refuse to do when he falls ill?
2. What does John say to all the offers to buy Buck from him?
3. How is Dave killed?
4. Which dog develops an internal injury on the trail?
5. How many dogs comprise the team of the new and inexperienced owner of Buck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do John's dogs react to Buck being included into John's house?
2. Why are the men and the dogs not able to rest when they return to Skaguay from Dawson?
3. What happens on the morning Dave is killed?
4. What happens when the men take Mercedes off of the sled?
5. How does Buck feel when he begins the journey with his new and inexperienced owners?
6. What happens to Dave after running the same trail too many times?
7. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
8. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
9. How does John treat his dogs?
10. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Each of the dogs had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the dogs, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)