|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far does the team average every day after Spitz is killed?
2. What does John call the inexperienced men when they brag about making it to the camp?
3. What does Buck see that lets him know his new owners are clueless?
4. Who leaves John by the river when he is injured?
5. What are most of the dogs on the team doing when they return to Skaguay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the men take Mercedes off of the sled?
2. How does John treat his dogs?
3. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
4. What happens to Dave after running the same trail too many times?
5. What happens on the morning Dave is killed?
6. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
7. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
8. How does Buck feel when he begins the journey with his new and inexperienced owners?
9. Why does Buck refuse to take another step with Hal and Charles when they are about to cross the river?
10. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the ways Buck and John show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who were involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What happens at the Lost Cabin, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)