|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of memories does Buck most enjoy thinking about at night after he has become the leader?
2. What do the people do when Francois and Perrault deliver their mail in record time?
3. What does Buck do that loses him the respect of his team?
4. Where is Buck placed when Spitz is killed?
5. What emotion does Buck feel for the first time with John?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Buck feel when he begins the journey with his new and inexperienced owners?
2. How does John treat his dogs?
3. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
4. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
5. Why does Buck refuse to take another step with Hal and Charles when they are about to cross the river?
6. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
7. What does Buck like to do at night while he is on the trail?
8. What does Buck do to other men that he does not do to John?
9. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
10. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the Lost Cabin, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)