|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buck do to other men that he refuses to do to John?
2. What injury does John get the year before he finds Buck?
3. How many dogs comprise the team of the new and inexperienced owner of Buck?
4. How far does the team average every day after Spitz is killed?
5. What is the first mistake the new owners make towards their dogs on the trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
2. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
3. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
4. What crazy command does John ask of Buck one day that Buck heedlessly tries to follow?
5. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
6. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
7. What happens when the dogs try to pull the overloaded sled of the inexperienced men?
8. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
9. What does Buck like to do at night while he is on the trail?
10. How do John's dogs react to Buck being included into John's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between the dogs on the dog team change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
Dave was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What happens at the Lost Cabin, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)