|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inexperienced man threaten John with?
2. What are most of the dogs on the team doing when they return to Skaguay?
3. How heavy is the load that Buck pulls for John?
4. Who haunts Buck at John's fireside?
5. How many dogs comprise the team of the new and inexperienced owner of Buck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do John's dogs react to Buck being included into John's house?
2. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
3. Why does Buck refuse to take another step with Hal and Charles when they are about to cross the river?
4. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
5. What happens when the dogs try to pull the overloaded sled of the inexperienced men?
6. How does Buck feel when he begins the journey with his new and inexperienced owners?
7. What does Buck do to other men that he does not do to John?
8. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
9. How does John treat his dogs?
10. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Dave was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)