|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the inexperienced man's partner?
2. What does Buck never ask John for?
3. What kinds of things does Buck remember at night after he has become the leader?
4. How is Dave killed?
5. What emotion does Buck feel for the first time with John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
2. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
3. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
4. What does Buck do to cement his role as the leader under his new owners?
5. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
6. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
7. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
8. Why is John left at the river?
9. Why are the men and the dogs not able to rest when they return to Skaguay from Dawson?
10. What happens when the men take Mercedes off of the sled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Jack London have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Each of the dogs had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the dogs, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)