|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buck never ask John for?
2. What does Buck NOT want to be with other dogs?
3. What does John call the inexperienced men when they brag about making it to the camp?
4. Why does the new owner think the dogs are unable to move his sled?
5. What does Buck do to cement his place as a leader under the new driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
2. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
3. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
4. What happens when the men take Mercedes off of the sled?
5. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
6. What happens on the morning Dave is killed?
7. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
8. Why are the men and the dogs not able to rest when they return to Skaguay from Dawson?
9. What does Buck do to cement his role as the leader under his new owners?
10. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who were involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)