|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John treat his dogs?
2. Who haunts Buck at John's fireside?
3. What kind of reputation does Buck have after killing Spitz?
4. What is the name of the dog that tries to nurse Buck to health?
5. What does John do when Buck tries to obey the crazy order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buck do to other men that he does not do to John?
2. What happens on the morning Dave is killed?
3. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
4. What happens when the dogs try to pull the overloaded sled of the inexperienced men?
5. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
6. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
7. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
8. Why are the men and the dogs not able to rest when they return to Skaguay from Dawson?
9. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
10. What happens to Dave after running the same trail too many times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the Lost Cabin, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)