|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say to all the offers to buy Buck from him?
2. What does John call the inexperienced men when they brag about making it to the camp?
3. What does John tell the inexperienced men not to do?
4. What does Buck do to other men that he refuses to do to John?
5. Who leaves John by the river when he is injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
2. What happens when the men take Mercedes off of the sled?
3. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
4. Why is John left at the river?
5. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
6. How do John's dogs react to Buck being included into John's house?
7. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
8. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
9. What happens when the dogs try to pull the overloaded sled of the inexperienced men?
10. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between the dogs on the dog team change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Buck and John show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)