|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is it when John finds Buck?
2. What is the name of the inexperienced man's partner?
3. How do the inexperienced men die?
4. How is the team acting while Buck and Spitz are fighting?
5. What do the dogs need most, and are denied, by the new and inexperienced owners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
2. What happens when the dogs try to pull the overloaded sled of the inexperienced men?
3. What happens to Dave after running the same trail too many times?
4. How does John treat his dogs?
5. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
6. Why does Buck refuse to take another step with Hal and Charles when they are about to cross the river?
7. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
8. What does Buck do to cement his role as the leader under his new owners?
9. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
10. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
There were many different symbols present in this book. What are these symbols, and how does their presence alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)