|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Buck feel about getting a new owner?
2. What does Buck NOT want to be with other dogs?
3. What is the name of the wife of the man who purchases Buck after he returns to Skaguay?
4. How does Buck show his care for John?
5. What does Buck hear in the forest that stimulates old instincts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
2. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
3. What happens to Dave after running the same trail too many times?
4. How does Buck feel when he begins the journey with his new and inexperienced owners?
5. How do John's dogs react to Buck being included into John's house?
6. What does Buck like to do at night while he is on the trail?
7. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
8. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
9. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
10. What crazy command does John ask of Buck one day that Buck heedlessly tries to follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who were involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Buck and John show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)