|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buck do to cement his place as a leader under the new driver?
2. What kinds of things does Buck remember at night after he has become the leader?
3. What is John able to put on Buck's back that no one else can?
4. How does Buck perform after Spitz is killed?
5. Who leaves John by the river when he is injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Buck refuse to take another step with Hal and Charles when they are about to cross the river?
2. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
3. Why is John left at the river?
4. How do John's dogs react to Buck being included into John's house?
5. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
6. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
7. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
8. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
9. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
10. What happens on the morning Dave is killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 2
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who were involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)