|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John do after Buck pulls the load for him?
2. What crazy thing does John order Buck to do one day?
3. What injury does John get the year before he finds Buck?
4. What is Perrault ordered to do when they reach their destination?
5. How does Buck perform after Spitz is killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the men take Mercedes off of the sled?
2. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
3. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
4. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
5. How does John treat his dogs?
6. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
7. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
8. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
9. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
10. What does Buck like to do at night while he is on the trail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Buck and Spitz were both very dynamic leaders in this book with strong followings. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their followers, and their role in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Dave was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)