|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves John by the river when he is injured?
2. What is the name of the wife of the man who purchases Buck after he returns to Skaguay?
3. Where is Buck placed when Spitz is killed?
4. What does John do when Buck tries to obey the crazy order?
5. Where does Buck want to be harnessed when he returns to camp after killing Spitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is John left at the river?
2. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
3. What does Buck like to do at night while he is on the trail?
4. What does Buck do to other men that he does not do to John?
5. What happens when the men take Mercedes off of the sled?
6. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
7. What happens on the morning Dave is killed?
8. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
9. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
10. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Each of the dogs had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the dogs, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)