|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the man with the whip train Buck in the harness?
2. What is Spitz's full name?
3. What does Spitz do to anger Buck in Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of the man with the whip's partner?
5. What does Buck take great pride in on the trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Billee and Joe received by the other dogs on the team?
2. What does Buck do when he gets hungry on the trail?
3. What happens that leads Buck to initiate the first fight with Spitz?
4. How is Spitz killed?
5. Who is Manuel, and why does Manuel sell Buck?
6. What is Buck forced to realize when he gets off the ship at Dyea?
7. How do the dogs react when they begin the work of pulling the sled?
8. What happens when Pike refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
9. How is Curly killed?
10. How is Buck's life described at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between the dogs on the dog team change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)