|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manuel need money for?
2. What does Buck take great pride in on the trail?
3. What is the occupation of most of the men at the first campsite?
4. What is the name of the dog who teaches Buck to steal?
5. Who laughs about the death that Buck witnesses after getting off the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buck do when he gets hungry on the trail?
2. How is Curly killed?
3. What does Dolly do when she shows the madness she contracted?
4. How is Spitz killed?
5. How does Buck stay warm in the snow on his first night at Dyea?
6. What does Spitz do when he becomes threatened by Buck?
7. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
8. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
9. Where in the harness line is Buck placed, and why?
10. How do the dogs react when they begin the work of pulling the sled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Dave was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)