|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buck hunt in the woods?
2. What does Buck do one night that links him to his ancestors?
3. What happens to the dog who will not stop attacking the man who unloads the dogs?
4. Which dog refuses to get out of his sleeping hole the day after Buck is chased by the mad dog?
5. What is the name of the dog who teaches Buck to steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
2. What happens when Buck approaches the wolf he heard howling in the forest?
3. What does Dolly do when she shows the madness she contracted?
4. What happens when Pike refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
5. Who is Manuel, and why does Manuel sell Buck?
6. Where does Buck find John's body, and how does he react to this?
7. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
8. Why is John left at the river?
9. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
10. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 3
Each of the dogs had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the dogs, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)