|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Buck to attack Spitz in Chapter 3?
2. What is the first thing that Buck's new owner does to him?
3. What does Buck do to get the water he needs?
4. Who commits the kill that Buck watches after getting off the ship?
5. What is the name of the man with the whip's partner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What damage is done when the camp is attacked by a pack of wild dogs?
2. What does Buck do that causes Sol-leks to attack him?
3. How are Billee and Joe received by the other dogs on the team?
4. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
5. Where in the harness line is Buck placed, and why?
6. What happens when Buck awakens after he takes his first beating?
7. How is Curly killed?
8. What does Buck do when he gets hungry on the trail?
9. What does Francois use to train Buck on the harness, and how does Buck feel about it?
10. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)