|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buck steal from his masters when he gets hungry?
2. What does the man who unloads Buck do when Buck growls ferociously?
3. Who helps the man with the whip train Buck in the harness?
4. Who attacks Buck after he has had an exhausting chase from the mad dog?
5. Who is the first dog on the team to go mad after the strange attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that leads Buck to initiate the first fight with Spitz?
2. Where in the harness line is Buck placed, and why?
3. How is Spitz killed?
4. What does the man who buys Buck from Manuel do to him?
5. How do the dogs react when they begin the work of pulling the sled?
6. How is Curly killed?
7. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
8. How is Buck's life described at the beginning of the book?
9. What is Buck forced to realize when he gets off the ship at Dyea?
10. What does Dolly do when she shows the madness she contracted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)