|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Buck to attack Spitz in Chapter 3?
2. Who is the first dog on the team to go mad after the strange attack?
3. Where is the man from who buys Buck from the cruel man?
4. Why does Buck steal from his masters?
5. Who does Buck think will savagely attack him when he gets off the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where in the harness line is Buck placed, and why?
2. How does Buck feel during the hunt for the rabbit?
3. How is Curly killed?
4. What happens when Pike refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
5. What does Buck do that causes Sol-leks to attack him?
6. Who is Manuel, and why does Manuel sell Buck?
7. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
8. How does the man in the red sweater react to Buck's anger and ferocity?
9. What does Buck do when he gets hungry on the trail?
10. What does Dolly do when she shows the madness she contracted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Jack London have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)