|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buck promise himself when the rope is taken off his neck after he is sold by Manuel?
2. How does Spitz greet Billee and Joe?
3. What does the man who unloads Buck do when Buck growls ferociously?
4. What is the name of the dog who teaches Buck to steal?
5. What kind of dog is bought with Buck from the cruel man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
2. What happens when Pike refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
3. How does Buck join the wolf pack?
4. What happens when the team is being prepared to run after Spitz has been killed?
5. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
6. Why are the men and the dogs not able to rest when they return to Skaguay from Dawson?
7. What happens on the morning Dave is killed?
8. What is the legend told about Buck at the end of the book?
9. What does Buck see for the first time when he gets off the ship, and how does he react to it?
10. What crazy command does John ask of Buck one day that Buck heedlessly tries to follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 1,419 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)