|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Manuel sell Buck to?
2. Who laughs about the death that Buck witnesses after getting off the ship?
3. What kind of dog is Spitz?
4. Who does Buck think will savagely attack him when he gets off the ship?
5. What does Francois do when he sees how hard the trail is on Buck's feet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Curly killed?
2. What happens that leads Buck to initiate the first fight with Spitz?
3. What does Spitz do that makes Buck hate him?
4. What does the man who buys Buck from Manuel do to him?
5. What does Dolly do when she shows the madness she contracted?
6. Who buys Buck from the man in the red sweater?
7. Where in the harness line is Buck placed, and why?
8. Who is Manuel, and why does Manuel sell Buck?
9. What is Buck forced to realize when he gets off the ship at Dyea?
10. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of the dogs had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the dogs, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)