|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intervenes with the intended punishment to the dog who refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
2. How many times does Buck charge at the man who finally unloads him?
3. What is the occupation of most of the men at the first campsite?
4. Where does the man hit Buck that causes the most pain?
5. What is the name of the man with the whip's partner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Buck forced to realize when he gets off the ship at Dyea?
2. Who is Manuel, and why does Manuel sell Buck?
3. What does the man who buys Buck from Manuel do to him?
4. What happens when Pike refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
5. What happens when Buck awakens after he takes his first beating?
6. What happens that leads Buck to initiate the first fight with Spitz?
7. What does Dolly do when she shows the madness she contracted?
8. What does Spitz do that makes Buck hate him?
9. How is Buck's life described at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Buck do that causes Sol-leks to attack him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mercy and Justice were two themes that played a huge role in this book. Where are these themes present, and which characters are most affected by them?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between the dogs on the dog team change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)