|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves Buck from the dog who attacks him after his exhausting chase from the mad dog?
2. What happens to the dog who will not stop attacking the man who unloads the dogs?
3. Who kills the animal the dogs are hunting in the woods?
4. Who does Manuel sell Buck to?
5. How is Buck transferred after being sold by the cruel man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Billee and Joe received by the other dogs on the team?
2. How does the man in the red sweater react to Buck's anger and ferocity?
3. What damage is done when the camp is attacked by a pack of wild dogs?
4. What happens that leads Buck to initiate the first fight with Spitz?
5. How is Spitz killed?
6. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
7. How does Buck stay warm in the snow on his first night at Dyea?
8. How is Buck's life described at the beginning of the book?
9. What does Buck see for the first time when he gets off the ship, and how does he react to it?
10. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many different symbols present in this book. What are these symbols, and how does their presence alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal was a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)