|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first dog on the team to go mad after the strange attack?
2. How many of Spitz's legs does Buck break before he is killed?
3. Who kills Spitz?
4. What is the man wearing that Buck sees when he is finally unloaded?
5. How much money is Buck sold for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the legend told about Buck at the end of the book?
2. How does Buck first know that his new owners are not experienced?
3. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
4. How does Buck kill his first moose?
5. What does Francois do when Buck's feet show the strain of the heavy work?
6. How is Spitz killed?
7. How do the dogs react when they begin the work of pulling the sled?
8. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
9. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
10. How is Curly killed?
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Mercy and Justice were two themes that played a huge role in this book. Where are these themes present, and which characters are most affected by them?
Essay Topic 3
There were many different symbols present in this book. What are these symbols, and how does their presence alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)