|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Buck steal from his masters?
2. What does the man hit Buck with when he is finally unloaded?
3. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
4. How does Buck describe his first few days after getting off the ship?
5. Where has Buck seen harnesses like the ones that are put on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buck do when he gets hungry on the trail?
2. How do the dogs react when they begin the work of pulling the sled?
3. What does Francois do when Buck's feet show the strain of the heavy work?
4. How does the man in the red sweater react to Buck's anger and ferocity?
5. What happens when Pike refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
6. Who is Manuel, and why does Manuel sell Buck?
7. What does Spitz do that makes Buck hate him?
8. How is Spitz killed?
9. What does Francois use to train Buck on the harness, and how does Buck feel about it?
10. What is Buck forced to realize when he gets off the ship at Dyea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between the dogs on the dog team change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
Buck and Spitz were both very dynamic leaders in this book with strong followings. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their followers, and their role in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)