|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are men mining in the Yukon at the time of this book?
2. How much food is Buck given every day on the trail?
3. How is Buck transported after Manuel sells him?
4. What does Buck hunt in the woods?
5. What is the man wearing that Buck sees when he is finally unloaded?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where in the harness line is Buck placed, and why?
2. How do the dogs react when they begin the work of pulling the sled?
3. What happens when Buck awakens after he takes his first beating?
4. Who is Manuel, and why does Manuel sell Buck?
5. Who buys Buck from the man in the red sweater?
6. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
7. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
8. What does Buck see for the first time when he gets off the ship, and how does he react to it?
9. What does Francois use to train Buck on the harness, and how does Buck feel about it?
10. What damage is done when the camp is attacked by a pack of wild dogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between the dogs on the dog team change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the ways Buck and John show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal was a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)