|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Spitz's full name?
2. What happens to the dog who will not stop attacking the man who unloads the dogs?
3. Who goads Buck into fights in Chapter 3?
4. Where has Buck seen harnesses like the ones that are put on him?
5. Who does Buck watch get killed after getting off the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that leads Buck to initiate the first fight with Spitz?
2. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
3. What does Buck see for the first time when he gets off the ship, and how does he react to it?
4. What does Spitz do when he becomes threatened by Buck?
5. What does Dolly do when she shows the madness she contracted?
6. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
7. How are Billee and Joe received by the other dogs on the team?
8. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
9. Where in the harness line is Buck placed, and why?
10. How does Buck feel during the hunt for the rabbit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Jack London have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Buck and John show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)