|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are men mining in the Yukon at the time of this book?
2. Who intervenes with the intended punishment to the dog who refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
3. Who tries to punish the dog who refuses to get out of his sleeping hole the day after Buck is chased by the mad dog?
4. How many times does Buck charge at the man who finally unloads him?
5. How much food is Buck given every day on the trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Buck kill his first moose?
2. What does Buck do to other men that he does not do to John?
3. Where in the harness line is Buck placed, and why?
4. What does Dolly do when she shows the madness she contracted?
5. What does Spitz do that makes Buck hate him?
6. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
7. What does Buck see in his prehistoric visions?
8. What happens that leads Buck to initiate the first fight with Spitz?
9. What is the legend told about Buck at the end of the book?
10. How does Buck stay warm in the snow on his first night at Dyea?
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Mercy and Justice were two themes that played a huge role in this book. Where are these themes present, and which characters are most affected by them?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)