|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
2. How is the first dog on the team to go mad killed?
3. What does Buck steal from his masters when he gets hungry?
4. What does Francois worry about most after the attackers have left the campsite?
5. Which of the following is NOT something eaten by the group that attacks the campsite after Buck takes his stand with Spitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
2. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
3. How does the man in the red sweater react to Buck's anger and ferocity?
4. Where in the harness line is Buck placed, and why?
5. What damage is done when the camp is attacked by a pack of wild dogs?
6. How are Billee and Joe received by the other dogs on the team?
7. What happens that leads Buck to initiate the first fight with Spitz?
8. How is Curly killed?
9. How does Buck stay warm in the snow on his first night at Dyea?
10. How do the dogs react when they begin the work of pulling the sled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Buck and Spitz were both very dynamic leaders in this book with strong followings. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their followers, and their role in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Each of the dogs had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the dogs, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Dave was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)