|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Buck to attack Spitz in Chapter 3?
2. How many times does Buck charge at the man who finally unloads him?
3. What kind of disability does Sol-leks have?
4. Where does the man hit Buck that causes the most pain?
5. What does Manuel need money for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Buck forced to realize when he gets off the ship at Dyea?
2. How is Buck's life described at the beginning of the book?
3. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Francois do when Buck's feet show the strain of the heavy work?
5. How are Billee and Joe received by the other dogs on the team?
6. What does Francois use to train Buck on the harness, and how does Buck feel about it?
7. What does Buck see for the first time when he gets off the ship, and how does he react to it?
8. What does Spitz do that makes Buck hate him?
9. What happens when Pike refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
10. How does the man in the red sweater react to Buck's anger and ferocity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who were involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)