|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intervenes with the intended punishment to the dog who refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
2. What is the occupation of most of the men at the first campsite?
3. What does Buck promise himself when the rope is taken off his neck after he is sold by Manuel?
4. What kind of disability does Sol-leks have?
5. How does Buck describe his first few days after getting off the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the dogs react when they begin the work of pulling the sled?
2. What does Spitz do when he becomes threatened by Buck?
3. How is Buck's life described at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Buck do that causes Sol-leks to attack him?
5. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
6. What happens when Pike refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
7. How is Spitz killed?
8. How is Curly killed?
9. What damage is done when the camp is attacked by a pack of wild dogs?
10. What does Dolly do when she shows the madness she contracted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal was a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Dave was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)