|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Buck steal from his masters?
2. Who kills Spitz?
3. How does Buck stay warm his first night in the snow?
4. Who saves Buck from the dog who attacks him after his exhausting chase from the mad dog?
5. Who does Manuel sell Buck to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buck see for the first time when he gets off the ship, and how does he react to it?
2. How is Curly killed?
3. How does the man in the red sweater react to Buck's anger and ferocity?
4. What does John get after Buck pulls the load for him?
5. How does Buck kill his first moose?
6. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
7. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
8. How are Billee and Joe received by the other dogs on the team?
9. How does Buck feel when he begins the journey with his new and inexperienced owners?
10. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Buck endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)