|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks Buck after he has had an exhausting chase from the mad dog?
2. What is Manuel's occupation?
3. How is Buck transferred after being sold by the cruel man?
4. How many dogs does the man who buys Buck from the cruel man already have?
5. How is Buck transported after Manuel sells him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buck see for the first time when he gets off the ship, and how does he react to it?
2. What is Buck forced to realize when he gets off the ship at Dyea?
3. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Dolly do when she shows the madness she contracted?
5. How do the dogs react when they begin the work of pulling the sled?
6. How are Billee and Joe received by the other dogs on the team?
7. What does Spitz do when he becomes threatened by Buck?
8. How is Buck's life described at the beginning of the book?
9. Where in the harness line is Buck placed, and why?
10. Who buys Buck from the man in the red sweater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Jack London have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)