|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Spitz greet Billee and Joe?
2. What is the man wearing that Buck sees when he is finally unloaded?
3. What does Buck take great pride in on the trail?
4. How many dogs does the man who buys Buck from the cruel man already have?
5. What does the man do to Buck when he wakes up after beating him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Francois do when Buck's feet show the strain of the heavy work?
2. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
3. How does Buck stay warm in the snow on his first night at Dyea?
4. What happens when Buck awakens after he takes his first beating?
5. What does Buck do that causes Sol-leks to attack him?
6. How is Spitz killed?
7. Who buys Buck from the man in the red sweater?
8. How does the man in the red sweater react to Buck's anger and ferocity?
9. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
10. How are Billee and Joe received by the other dogs on the team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the Lost Cabin, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)