|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the dog who teaches Buck to steal?
2. Who does Buck think will savagely attack him when he gets off the ship?
3. Where has Buck seen harnesses like the ones that are put on him?
4. How many times does Buck charge at the man who finally unloads him?
5. Who commits the kill that Buck watches after getting off the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Buck do when he gets hungry on the trail?
3. How does the man in the red sweater react to Buck's anger and ferocity?
4. How is Spitz killed?
5. What does Francois use to train Buck on the harness, and how does Buck feel about it?
6. What does Buck see for the first time when he gets off the ship, and how does he react to it?
7. How does Buck feel during the hunt for the rabbit?
8. How are Billee and Joe received by the other dogs on the team?
9. What does Spitz do that makes Buck hate him?
10. Who is Manuel, and why does Manuel sell Buck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the ways Buck and John show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who were involved in those scenes?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)