|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Buck stay warm his first night in the snow?
2. How many dogs are involved in the hunt in the woods?
3. Who does Manuel sell Buck to?
4. What kind of dog is Spitz?
5. What are men mining in the Yukon at the time of this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Buck forced to realize when he gets off the ship at Dyea?
2. Who is Manuel, and why does Manuel sell Buck?
3. What happens that leads Buck to initiate the first fight with Spitz?
4. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
5. How does Buck stay warm in the snow on his first night at Dyea?
6. How do the dogs react when they begin the work of pulling the sled?
7. How does the man in the red sweater react to Buck's anger and ferocity?
8. What does Buck see for the first time when he gets off the ship, and how does he react to it?
9. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
10. What does Francois do when Buck's feet show the strain of the heavy work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the Lost Cabin, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)