|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Buck watch get killed after getting off the ship?
2. Who encourages Buck to attack Spitz in Chapter 3?
3. What does Buck do to stay in shape at the beginning of the book?
4. How cold is it when the team breaks through ice in the river?
5. Who tries to punish the dog who refuses to get out of his sleeping hole the day after Buck is chased by the mad dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pike refuses to get out of his sleeping hole?
2. What does Buck do when he gets hungry on the trail?
3. How does Buck stay warm in the snow on his first night at Dyea?
4. Who is Manuel, and why does Manuel sell Buck?
5. How is Curly killed?
6. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
7. What happens when Buck awakens after he takes his first beating?
8. What is Buck forced to realize when he gets off the ship at Dyea?
9. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
10. What happens that leads Buck to initiate the first fight with Spitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the Lost Cabin, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Buck and John show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)