|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Spitz threatened by Buck?
2. How far do the dogs travel in the 6 days after the attack on the camp?
3. What does Francois do when he sees how hard the trail is on Buck's feet?
4. What kind of food is Buck given on the trail?
5. What does Buck hunt in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Francois do when Buck's feet show the strain of the heavy work?
2. What damage is done when the camp is attacked by a pack of wild dogs?
3. What does Spitz do when he becomes threatened by Buck?
4. What does Buck do that causes Sol-leks to attack him?
5. How does Buck stay warm in the snow on his first night at Dyea?
6. What does the man who buys Buck from Manuel do to him?
7. How is Buck's life described at the beginning of the book?
8. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
9. How is Curly killed?
10. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the Lost Cabin, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Mercy and Justice were two themes that played a huge role in this book. Where are these themes present, and which characters are most affected by them?
Essay Topic 3
Each of the dogs had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the dogs, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)