|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Buck charge at the man who finally unloads him?
2. What is the name of the dog who teaches Buck to steal?
3. What does Buck do to get the water he needs?
4. Who does Buck watch get killed after getting off the ship?
5. How does Buck feel about humans at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Billee and Joe received by the other dogs on the team?
2. How does Buck feel during the hunt for the rabbit?
3. Who buys Buck from the man in the red sweater?
4. How does Buck stay warm in the snow on his first night at Dyea?
5. How is Buck described at the beginning of the book?
6. What damage is done when the camp is attacked by a pack of wild dogs?
7. How is Buck's life described at the beginning of the book?
8. What does Spitz do when he becomes threatened by Buck?
9. How is Buck changed when he is released from his rope by the men who unload him from the train?
10. How does the man in the red sweater react to Buck's anger and ferocity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of the dogs had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the dogs, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What happens at the Lost Cabin, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)