|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Buck refuse to go with the inexperienced men?
(a) He likes John.
(b) He has a sense of impending doom.
(c) He is physically unable to rise.
(d) He hates the men.
2. What does John tell the inexperienced men not to do?
(a) Cross the river.
(b) Anger Buck.
(c) Continue without rest.
(d) Beat their dogs.
3. What is the name of the wife of the man who purchases Buck after he returns to Skaguay?
4. What do the owners do to the dogs that refuse to pull the sled any longer?
(a) They are beaten to death.
(b) They are left to freeze.
(c) They are buried in the snow as if they are dead.
(d) They are shot.
5. What time of day is it when Francois realizes what has happened to Spitz?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave refuse to do when he falls ill?
2. Who do John's dogs remind Buck of?
3. How far is the journey the dogs take to return to Skaguay?
4. What does Buck like to do at night after becoming the leader?
5. What is the first mistake the new owners make towards their dogs on the trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
2. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
3. What does Buck feel for the first time when he is with John and how does he show this?
4. What crazy command does John ask of Buck one day that Buck heedlessly tries to follow?
5. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
6. What does Buck do to other men that he does not do to John?
7. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
8. What are Francois and Perrault ordered to do after getting to Skaguay in record time?
9. What happens when the dogs try to pull the overloaded sled of the inexperienced men?
10. What does Buck do to cement his role as the leader under his new owners?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)