|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John do when Buck tries to obey the crazy order?
(a) Orders him to stop.
(b) Jumps in front of Buck.
(c) Lets it happen.
(d) Jumps in and saves him.
2. What does Buck NOT want to be with other dogs?
(a) The leader.
(b) The protector.
(c) The follower.
(d) The father.
3. Who do John's dogs remind Buck of?
(a) The dogs in the kennel on the ship.
(c) Judge Miller's sons.
(d) Francois and Perrault.
4. What is Francois ordered to do when they reach their destination?
(a) Make the trip back in record time.
(b) Take some of his leave time.
(c) Sell the dogs.
5. How does Buck show his care for John?
(a) He brings him presents.
(b) He protects him.
(c) He nibbles on his hand.
(d) He never leaves his side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buck do that loses him the respect of his team?
2. What is John able to put on Buck's back that no one else can?
3. What does Buck like to do at night after becoming the leader?
4. What is Perrault ordered to do when they reach their destination?
5. What does Buck do to cement his place as a leader under the new driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John treat his dogs?
2. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
3. What changes when Buck is allowed to lead after Spitz is killed?
4. What happens when the dogs try to pull the overloaded sled of the inexperienced men?
5. Why are the men and the dogs not able to rest when they return to Skaguay from Dawson?
6. What does Buck do to other men that he does not do to John?
7. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
8. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
9. What does John do when he sees the men beating Buck before they cross the river?
10. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)