|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Buck hear in the forest that stimulates old instincts?
(a) A thunderstorm.
(d) A growl.
2. What time of day is it when Francois realizes what has happened to Spitz?
3. Why does the new owner think the dogs are unable to move his sled?
(a) They are all too weak.
(b) They need to be whipped harder.
(c) It is overloaded.
(d) The woman is riding it.
4. What does the inexperienced man threaten John with?
(a) An axe.
(b) A knife.
(c) A gun.
(d) A whip.
5. How do the inexperienced men die?
(a) They fall into the river.
(b) They starve.
(c) They freeze to death.
(d) The dogs turn on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buck want to be with other dogs?
2. What are the men happy about after Spitz is dead?
3. What does John do when Buck tries to obey the crazy order?
4. How is the team acting while Buck and Spitz are fighting?
5. What do the dogs need most, and are denied, by the new and inexperienced owners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Dave after running the same trail too many times?
2. What do Hal and Charles brag about to John Thornton, and how does John respond?
3. How does Buck feel about his new masters and his new job?
4. What does Buck like to do at night while he is on the trail?
5. What crazy command does John ask of Buck one day that Buck heedlessly tries to follow?
6. Why does Buck refuse to take another step with Hal and Charles when they are about to cross the river?
7. Why is John left at the river?
8. What does Buck do to cement his role as the leader under his new owners?
9. What is Buck reminded of as he spends time recuperating with John and his dogs?
10. What bet does Buck win for John one day and how does Thornton react to this?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)