|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Buck do to cement his place as a leader under the new driver?
(a) Protects the weaker dogs.
(b) Displays his strength.
(c) Leads well.
(d) Wins fights.
2. Why is Francois hesitant about placing Buck in the place he wants to be after Spitz is killed?
(a) He is too tired to shift the harness spacings.
(b) He thinks Spitz will come to camp soon.
(c) He wants Buck to be trained in a new position.
(d) Buck is not as experienced.
3. What is the name of the man who purchases Buck after he returns to Skaguay?
4. What is the first mistake the new owners make towards their dogs on the trail?
(a) They overfeed them.
(b) They run them too hard and too long.
(c) They cover them at night.
(d) They let them sleep in the tent.
5. Who do John's dogs remind Buck of?
(a) Judge Miller's sons.
(b) The dogs in the kennel on the ship.
(d) Francois and Perrault.
6. What kinds of things does Buck remember at night after he has become the leader?
(a) Perrault and Francois.
(b) His time with the judge.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) His time with the man in the red sweater.
7. What does Buck want to be with other dogs?
(a) The father.
(b) The follower.
(c) The protector.
(d) The leader.
8. How does John treat his dogs?
(a) Like they are his children.
(b) Like friends.
(c) Like slaves.
(d) Like his possessions.
9. What do the owners do to the dogs that refuse to pull the sled any longer?
(a) They are buried in the snow as if they are dead.
(b) They are left to freeze.
(c) They are shot.
(d) They are beaten to death.
10. What is the name of the dog that tries to nurse Buck to health?
11. Which dog develops an internal injury on the trail?
12. What kind of reputation does Buck have after killing Spitz?
(a) Wild dog.
(c) Fierce fighter.
(d) Great leader.
13. How many dogs does John have when he finds Buck?
14. How far does the team average every day after Spitz is killed?
(a) 50 miles.
(b) 60 miles.
(c) 30 miles.
(d) 40 miles.
15. What does Buck like to do at night after becoming the leader?
(a) Sleep near the tent.
(c) Stare into the fire.
(d) Howl at the moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John do to the man beating Buck?
2. Why are the dogs unable to move the sled of their new owners?
3. What do the people do when Francois and Perrault deliver their mail in record time?
4. How far is the journey the dogs take to return to Skaguay?
5. What do the inexperienced owners do to get the dogs to move faster?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)