|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John do after Buck pulls the load for him?
(a) Embraces Buck.
2. How heavy is the load that Buck pulls for John?
(a) 900 pounds.
(b) 800 pounds.
(c) 500 pounds.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
3. What does Buck do that loses him the respect of his team?
(a) He eats a dead dog.
(b) He chews out of his harness.
(c) He bites the owner.
(d) He falls in his harness.
4. What do the dogs need most, and are denied, by the new and inexperienced owners?
5. How does Buck show his care for John?
(a) He brings him presents.
(b) He nibbles on his hand.
(c) He never leaves his side.
(d) He protects him.
6. How far is the journey the dogs take to return to Skaguay?
(a) 1,000 miles.
(b) 1,500 miles.
(c) 1,200 miles.
(d) 800 miles.
7. What does Buck hear in the forest that stimulates old instincts?
(a) A growl.
(b) A thunderstorm.
8. Why is Francois hesitant about placing Buck in the place he wants to be after Spitz is killed?
(a) Buck is not as experienced.
(b) He wants Buck to be trained in a new position.
(c) He is too tired to shift the harness spacings.
(d) He thinks Spitz will come to camp soon.
9. How many dogs does John have when he finds Buck?
10. What kind of memories does Buck most enjoy thinking about at night after he has become the leader?
(a) Perrault and Francois.
(b) His time with the man in the red sweater.
(c) His time with the judge.
(d) Memories from his ancestors.
11. How is Dave killed?
(a) He freezes to death.
(b) The driver shoots him.
(c) He is killed by another dog.
(d) He is worked too hard on the trail.
12. What does Buck want to be with other dogs?
(a) The leader.
(b) The follower.
(c) The protector.
(d) The father.
13. What does Buck see that lets him know his new owners are clueless?
(a) They have strange and light clothing.
(b) Their camp is disorganized.
(c) They are eating too much.
(d) The dogs they buy are all weak.
14. Where does Buck want to be harnessed when he returns to camp after killing Spitz?
(a) Spitz's spot.
(b) Sol-leck's spot.
(c) The lead-dog spot.
(d) His old spot.
15. What does John tell the inexperienced men not to do?
(a) Beat their dogs.
(b) Anger Buck.
(c) Continue without rest.
(d) Cross the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the inexperienced man's partner?
2. What are most of the dogs on the team doing when they return to Skaguay?
3. What does Francois think has happened when Buck returns to camp alone after the hunt?
4. How does Buck view John?
5. What kinds of things does Buck remember at night after he has become the leader?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)