|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the dog that tries to nurse Buck to health?
2. Why is Francois hesitant about placing Buck in the place he wants to be after Spitz is killed?
(a) Buck is not as experienced.
(b) He wants Buck to be trained in a new position.
(c) He thinks Spitz will come to camp soon.
(d) He is too tired to shift the harness spacings.
3. What do the inexperienced owners do to get the dogs to move faster?
(a) Dump things off their sled.
(b) Feed them.
(c) Break the trail for them.
(d) Beat them.
4. Why does the new owner think the dogs are unable to move his sled?
(a) They are all too weak.
(b) The woman is riding it.
(c) It is overloaded.
(d) They need to be whipped harder.
5. Why is John left by the river when he is injured?
(a) To wait for another group to join.
(b) To keep from slowing down the group.
(c) To wait for help.
(d) To recuperate.
6. How far does the team average every day after Spitz is killed?
(a) 60 miles.
(b) 40 miles.
(c) 50 miles.
(d) 30 miles.
7. What do the owners do to the dogs that refuse to pull the sled any longer?
(a) They are left to freeze.
(b) They are buried in the snow as if they are dead.
(c) They are shot.
(d) They are beaten to death.
8. What are the men happy about after Spitz is dead?
(a) Spitz won't bite them anymore.
(b) They have a happier team to lead.
(c) They are traveling at record speed.
(d) There is one less mouth to feed.
9. What does John do after Buck pulls the load for him?
(a) Embraces Buck.
10. How is Dave killed?
(a) He is worked too hard on the trail.
(b) The driver shoots him.
(c) He freezes to death.
(d) He is killed by another dog.
11. What does Buck hear in the forest that stimulates old instincts?
(b) A growl.
(c) A thunderstorm.
12. How many dogs belonging to the inexperienced owners die on the trail?
13. Why does Buck refuse to go with the inexperienced men?
(a) He is physically unable to rise.
(b) He has a sense of impending doom.
(c) He likes John.
(d) He hates the men.
14. What does John do when Buck tries to obey the crazy order?
(a) Lets it happen.
(b) Jumps in front of Buck.
(c) Orders him to stop.
(d) Jumps in and saves him.
15. What is Francois ordered to do when they reach their destination?
(b) Take some of his leave time.
(c) Sell the dogs.
(d) Make the trip back in record time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many dogs comprise the team of the new and inexperienced owner of Buck?
2. What kinds of things does Buck remember at night after he has become the leader?
3. What does John call the inexperienced men when they brag about making it to the camp?
4. What does the inexperienced man threaten John with?
5. What does Buck want to be with other dogs?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)