|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who haunts Buck at John's fireside?
(a) His ancestors.
2. What do the owners do to the dogs that refuse to pull the sled any longer?
(a) They are shot.
(b) They are beaten to death.
(c) They are left to freeze.
(d) They are buried in the snow as if they are dead.
3. What is Francois ordered to do when they reach their destination?
(a) Make the trip back in record time.
(b) Sell the dogs.
(c) Take some of his leave time.
4. What does Buck NOT want to be with other dogs?
(a) The leader.
(b) The father.
(c) The follower.
(d) The protector.
5. What does the inexperienced man threaten John with?
(a) A knife.
(b) An axe.
(c) A whip.
(d) A gun.
6. What is Buck so good at after Spitz is dead?
(a) Getting the dogs to follow the rules.
(b) Raising morale in the pack.
(c) Playing with the other dogs.
(d) Leading the pack.
7. How does Buck feel about getting a new owner?
(a) He does not care.
(b) He does not like it.
(c) He likes the change.
(d) He does not notice.
8. How do the inexperienced men die?
(a) They starve.
(b) They fall into the river.
(c) The dogs turn on them.
(d) They freeze to death.
9. How far does the team average every day after Spitz is killed?
(a) 60 miles.
(b) 30 miles.
(c) 40 miles.
(d) 50 miles.
10. What emotion does Buck feel for the first time with John?
11. Why are the dogs unable to move the sled of their new owners?
(a) They need to be whipped harder.
(b) They are all too weak.
(c) It is overloaded.
(d) The woman is riding it.
12. Where is John Thornton's camp?
(a) By the Green Lake.
(b) In the Black Woods.
(c) On the White River.
(d) In the Red City.
13. What are the men happy about after Spitz is dead?
(a) They are traveling at record speed.
(b) Spitz won't bite them anymore.
(c) There is one less mouth to feed.
(d) They have a happier team to lead.
14. What does Buck do to cement his place as a leader under the new driver?
(a) Leads well.
(b) Protects the weaker dogs.
(c) Wins fights.
(d) Displays his strength.
15. How does John treat his dogs?
(a) Like slaves.
(b) Like his possessions.
(c) Like friends.
(d) Like they are his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the dog that tries to nurse Buck to health?
2. How heavy is the load that Buck pulls for John?
3. What does John do after Buck pulls the load for him?
4. How long does it take for the team to return to Skaguay?
5. What kinds of things does Buck remember at night after he has become the leader?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)