|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Buck want to be with other dogs?
(a) The follower.
(b) The leader.
(c) The protector.
(d) The father.
2. What is the name of the dog that tries to nurse Buck to health?
3. What does Buck hear in the forest that stimulates old instincts?
(a) A thunderstorm.
(d) A growl.
4. What does Buck like to do at night after becoming the leader?
(a) Howl at the moon.
(b) Sleep near the tent.
(d) Stare into the fire.
5. What is Francois ordered to do when they reach their destination?
(a) Make the trip back in record time.
(b) Take some of his leave time.
(c) Sell the dogs.
6. What does John tell the inexperienced men not to do?
(a) Anger Buck.
(b) Beat their dogs.
(c) Continue without rest.
(d) Cross the river.
7. Why is Francois hesitant about placing Buck in the place he wants to be after Spitz is killed?
(a) He wants Buck to be trained in a new position.
(b) He is too tired to shift the harness spacings.
(c) He thinks Spitz will come to camp soon.
(d) Buck is not as experienced.
8. What is John able to put on Buck's back that no one else can?
(a) A pack.
(b) A jug of water.
(c) A human's coat.
(d) A child.
9. What are most of the dogs on the team doing when they return to Skaguay?
10. How many dogs does John have when he finds Buck?
11. What does Buck do to other men that he refuses to do to John?
(a) Sleep next to him.
(b) Steal from him.
(c) Bring food to him.
(d) Beg from him.
12. How does John treat his dogs?
(a) Like slaves.
(b) Like they are his children.
(c) Like friends.
(d) Like his possessions.
13. What does Buck see that lets him know his new owners are clueless?
(a) They are eating too much.
(b) The dogs they buy are all weak.
(c) Their camp is disorganized.
(d) They have strange and light clothing.
14. What is the first mistake the new owners make towards their dogs on the trail?
(a) They run them too hard and too long.
(b) They let them sleep in the tent.
(c) They cover them at night.
(d) They overfeed them.
15. How does Buck feel about getting a new owner?
(a) He does not notice.
(b) He does not care.
(c) He does not like it.
(d) He likes the change.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is John left by the river when he is injured?
2. What is Perrault ordered to do when they reach their destination?
3. How do John's dogs react when John takes on Buck's care as well?
4. Where is John Thornton's camp?
5. What do the owners do to the dogs that refuse to pull the sled any longer?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)