|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many dogs does John have when he finds Buck?
2. What is John able to put on Buck's back that no one else can?
(a) A jug of water.
(b) A pack.
(c) A child.
(d) A human's coat.
3. What emotion does Buck feel for the first time with John?
4. How far is the journey the dogs take to return to Skaguay?
(a) 1,000 miles.
(b) 1,500 miles.
(c) 1,200 miles.
(d) 800 miles.
5. How does Buck feel about getting a new owner?
(a) He does not notice.
(b) He does not care.
(c) He does not like it.
(d) He likes the change.
6. What does Buck never ask John for?
7. Why does the new owner think the dogs are unable to move his sled?
(a) They are all too weak.
(b) It is overloaded.
(c) They need to be whipped harder.
(d) The woman is riding it.
8. What does John call the inexperienced men when they brag about making it to the camp?
9. What kind of memories does Buck most enjoy thinking about at night after he has become the leader?
(a) Perrault and Francois.
(b) His time with the man in the red sweater.
(c) Memories from his ancestors.
(d) His time with the judge.
10. Who leaves John by the river when he is injured?
(a) His boss.
(b) His wife.
(c) His son.
(d) His partner.
11. What do the dogs need most, and are denied, by the new and inexperienced owners?
12. What does Buck want to be with other dogs?
(a) The leader.
(b) The protector.
(c) The follower.
(d) The father.
13. Why is John left by the river when he is injured?
(a) To wait for another group to join.
(b) To wait for help.
(c) To keep from slowing down the group.
(d) To recuperate.
14. What does John say to all the offers to buy Buck from him?
(a) He laughs in their faces.
(b) He flatly refuses.
(c) He threatens to kill them.
(d) He keeps raising the price.
15. How does John treat his dogs?
(a) Like his possessions.
(b) Like slaves.
(c) Like they are his children.
(d) Like friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Francois hesitant about placing Buck in the place he wants to be after Spitz is killed?
2. What injury does John get the year before he finds Buck?
3. What does Buck hear in the forest that stimulates old instincts?
4. What does Buck NOT want to be with other dogs?
5. Where is Buck placed when Spitz is killed?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)