|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is John Thornton's camp?
(a) In the Black Woods.
(b) By the Green Lake.
(c) In the Red City.
(d) On the White River.
2. How heavy is the load that Buck pulls for John?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) 500 pounds.
(c) 800 pounds.
(d) 900 pounds.
3. What is Perrault ordered to do when they reach their destination?
(a) Make the trip back in record time.
(b) Take some of his leave time.
(d) Sell the dogs.
4. What injury does John get the year before he finds Buck?
(a) He froze his feet.
(b) He sprained his knee.
(c) He lost an eye.
(d) He broke his leg.
5. What is John able to put on Buck's back that no one else can?
(a) A human's coat.
(b) A pack.
(c) A child.
(d) A jug of water.
6. What does Buck never ask John for?
7. What is the name of the inexperienced man's partner?
8. How is the team acting while Buck and Spitz are fighting?
(a) They were inefficient.
(b) They were distracted.
(c) They got very lazy.
(d) Their loyalties were split.
9. What is Buck so good at after Spitz is dead?
(a) Leading the pack.
(b) Playing with the other dogs.
(c) Raising morale in the pack.
(d) Getting the dogs to follow the rules.
10. What is the first mistake the new owners make towards their dogs on the trail?
(a) They overfeed them.
(b) They cover them at night.
(c) They let them sleep in the tent.
(d) They run them too hard and too long.
11. What kind of memories does Buck most enjoy thinking about at night after he has become the leader?
(a) Perrault and Francois.
(b) His time with the judge.
(c) Memories from his ancestors.
(d) His time with the man in the red sweater.
12. What does Buck do that loses him the respect of his team?
(a) He bites the owner.
(b) He eats a dead dog.
(c) He chews out of his harness.
(d) He falls in his harness.
13. How many dogs belonging to the inexperienced owners die on the trail?
14. What crazy thing does John order Buck to do one day?
(a) Jump into a wildly rushing river.
(b) Kill another dog.
(c) Jump off a cliff.
(d) Lay down and die.
15. How does Buck view John?
(a) As his father.
(b) As his enemy.
(c) As his master.
(d) As his equal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is John left by the river when he is injured?
2. Who do John's dogs remind Buck of?
3. How do the inexperienced men die?
4. What does Francois think has happened when Buck returns to camp alone after the hunt?
5. What does Buck NOT want to be with other dogs?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)