|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the inexperienced owners do to get the dogs to move faster?
(a) Beat them.
(b) Dump things off their sled.
(c) Feed them.
(d) Break the trail for them.
2. What does Buck want to be with other dogs?
(a) The leader.
(b) The father.
(c) The protector.
(d) The follower.
3. What crazy thing does John order Buck to do one day?
(a) Kill another dog.
(b) Jump off a cliff.
(c) Lay down and die.
(d) Jump into a wildly rushing river.
4. What is the first mistake the new owners make towards their dogs on the trail?
(a) They overfeed them.
(b) They run them too hard and too long.
(c) They cover them at night.
(d) They let them sleep in the tent.
5. How far does the team average every day after Spitz is killed?
(a) 60 miles.
(b) 50 miles.
(c) 40 miles.
(d) 30 miles.
6. Why does the new owner think the dogs are unable to move his sled?
(a) They need to be whipped harder.
(b) They are all too weak.
(c) It is overloaded.
(d) The woman is riding it.
7. Who haunts Buck at John's fireside?
(a) His ancestors.
8. How is Dave killed?
(a) He is worked too hard on the trail.
(b) The driver shoots him.
(c) He is killed by another dog.
(d) He freezes to death.
9. What are the men happy about after Spitz is dead?
(a) They have a happier team to lead.
(b) Spitz won't bite them anymore.
(c) There is one less mouth to feed.
(d) They are traveling at record speed.
10. What does John say to all the offers to buy Buck from him?
(a) He laughs in their faces.
(b) He threatens to kill them.
(c) He keeps raising the price.
(d) He flatly refuses.
11. What are most of the dogs on the team doing when they return to Skaguay?
12. What kind of memories does Buck most enjoy thinking about at night after he has become the leader?
(a) Memories from his ancestors.
(b) His time with the man in the red sweater.
(c) His time with the judge.
(d) Perrault and Francois.
13. What does Buck see that lets him know his new owners are clueless?
(a) They have strange and light clothing.
(b) The dogs they buy are all weak.
(c) They are eating too much.
(d) Their camp is disorganized.
14. What is John able to put on Buck's back that no one else can?
(a) A human's coat.
(b) A jug of water.
(c) A pack.
(d) A child.
15. How do the inexperienced men die?
(a) They freeze to death.
(b) They fall into the river.
(c) They starve.
(d) The dogs turn on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of reputation does Buck have after killing Spitz?
2. How does Buck perform after Spitz is killed?
3. What do the dogs need most, and are denied, by the new and inexperienced owners?
4. What does Buck NOT want to be with other dogs?
5. How does Buck feel about getting a new owner?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)