|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, what does Elio feel after the spends the night with Oliver?
2. In Part 2, after Elio spends the night in Oliver's room, the next evening what sweater is Oliver wearing?
3. In Part 3, how long will Oliver and Elio be alone in Rome?
4. How does Elio decide to spend his day while he waits to see Oliver in Part 2 after Oliver's response to his note?
5. In Part 2, where will Oliver be going when he returns to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 2, what does Elio tell Oliver about the day they thought he drowned?
2. What does Elio see when he arrives at the bookstore?
3. In Part 2, before Elio meets Oliver at midnight, how are the couple from Chicago described?
4. Who does Oliver arrive with to the bookstore?
5. In Part 2, what is lunch like after Elio receives Oliver's note?
6. In Part 2, before Elio meets Oliver at midnight, who joins his family for dinner?
7. In Part 2, after Elio receives Oliver's note, what do he and Marzia do?
8. In Part 3, why does Elio want to take a bus to the hotel and why does he change his mind?
9. What human statue do Oliver and Elio see on their way to the publisher's party?
10. In Part 2, how do Elio's feelings vacillate after being with Oliver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elio is very comfortable with the atmosphere at the bookstore during the poetry reading in Rome. How does the bookstore symbolize the way that Elio learns to connect his thoughts to the world and people around him?
Essay Topic 2
During the course of their relationship, Oliver and Elio call one another by each other’s name. What does it mean for them to call each other by the other’s name? What does it mean when Oliver no long calls Elio by his name by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Lucia calls Elio dissolute. Why does Elio wish that he was dissolute? What does his wish indicate about friendship and the things that he believes are missing in his life?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)