|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, where does Elio say that for the past few summers he likes to go during the day?
2. What type of cigarettes does Oliver smoke in Part 2?
3. In Part 2, after Elio blends fruit in a blender and goes to the beach, what are his friends playing?
4. What type of footwear is Oscar wearing when he arrives in Part 1?
5. In Part 1, other than summer when does Elio's family come to B?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, why do Elio's parents take in summer guests and what do the guests do in return?
2. In Part 2, when Oliver and Elio go to town for the second time during his visit, what does Elio do and see as he waits for Oliver to get some papers?
3. What spot does Elio show Oliver in Part 2 after he confesses his feelings to Oliver?
4. Where do Elio and Oliver spend their days in Part 1?
5. What does Oliver say that Anchise did for him in Part 2?
6. How does Elio feel when he sees Chiara with Oliver?
7. How is the room described where Elio spends the six weeks that the summer guests are at his home?
8. In Part 2, how does Elio describe the flower shop in B.?
9. Why does Mafalda often ask Oscar his opinion about cooking in Part 1?
10. Who is Vimini and what is she struggling with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elio is very comfortable with the atmosphere at the bookstore during the poetry reading in Rome. How does the bookstore symbolize the way that Elio learns to connect his thoughts to the world and people around him?
Essay Topic 2
Parts 1-3 of the novel take place over a six-week time frame. Part 4 covers many years. How do the jumps in time impact the storyline? What do they reveal about characters?
Essay Topic 3
Vimini is a young girl who is dying of cancer. What role does Vimini play in Elio’s life? How does his relationship with her help him grow and mature?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)