|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Duke begin to use after her marriage to Harry Falk?
2. Who begged Duke to check herself into Westwood Psychiatric Hospital again in Chapter 25?
3. What did Duke want to do with the Emmy she won in 1970?
4. Why did Duke and John Astin begin their five-year stint as touring stage actors?
5. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
2. How did Duke get along with Judy Garland?
3. Why did Duke have so much trouble in her relationship with Desi Arnaz, Jr.?
4. While the children were very bothersome to Duke, John Astin seemed to have no trouble with them. Why was this?
5. Why did Duke have people, especially her manager, so concerned about her after her acceptance of the Emmy Award for "My Sweet Charlie"?
6. How believable is Duke's story of her relationship with Frank Sinatra?
7. Why might Duke have been so uncomfortable with Joanna Barnes, Harry Falk's friend?
8. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
9. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
10. Why did Duke and her new husband, Harry Falk, find collecting Duke's money from the county clerk's office to be a painful event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke's mother was characterized as a very weak person. Examine and detail the ways in which one can easily come to this conclusion. Were there any examples of Mrs. Duke showing strength in character? How did the Rosses treat her?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities of John and Ethel Ross.
Essay Topic 3
Duke relays two instances when John Ross (and Ethel in one instance) attempted to molest her. Explain how these instances color her feelings towards the Rosses. Examine why Duke would continue to live with them and not reach out for help at the time.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)