|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which now-famous actor played a small role the film, Me, Natalie?
2. How did Duke meet her second husband, Michael Tell?
3. What was Duke drinking during a lunch break on the set of Me, Natalie that upset Fred Coe so much?
4. Where did Duke's mother go on the day of Duke's wedding to Harry Falk?
5. Where had Harry Falk been while Duke was desperately trying to contact him in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Duke have so much trouble in her relationship with Desi Arnaz, Jr.?
2. Why did Duke have people, especially her manager, so concerned about her after her acceptance of the Emmy Award for "My Sweet Charlie"?
3. How did Duke get along with Judy Garland?
4. How did Duke compensate, in school, for being one of the shortest students there?
5. Why might Duke have been so uncomfortable with Joanna Barnes, Harry Falk's friend?
6. Why was Duke's so-called formal education an embarrassment to her?
7. What made Duke's suicide attempt in Chapter 23 more serious that her previous tries?
8. Why was The Patty Duke Show canceled in 1966?
9. Why did Duke's pregnancy in Chapter 27 become such a media frenzy?
10. Why did Duke decide to adopt John Astin's children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke married Michael Tell, a man she did not even know. What does the photograph of the two of them show about her mindset at the time? How, according to Duke, could she marry a complete stranger, and why?
Essay Topic 2
One of Duke's most important triumphs was her role as Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker, both on stage on in film. Explore Duke's relationship with co-star Anne Bancroft. How did Duke feel about Bancroft? What did Bancroft represent? How did the relationship affect her?
Essay Topic 3
Duke's mother was characterized as a very weak person. Examine and detail the ways in which one can easily come to this conclusion. Were there any examples of Mrs. Duke showing strength in character? How did the Rosses treat her?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)