|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
2. What arrangements did Duke forget to make for the morning of her wedding in Chapter 18?
3. How did Duke like the house she and John Astin lived in with their five kids?
4. What are the Doheny Towers?
5. Where did Duke and the other stars of Valley of the Dolls promote the film?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Judy Garland react when she was fired from The Valley of the Dolls?
2. According to Duke in Chapter 19, what is anorexia?
3. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
4. How did Duke get along with Judy Garland?
5. Why did Duke decide to adopt John Astin's children?
6. What caused Duke to suddenly take up smoking and swearing?
7. What do you think took Duke so long to realize that her husband, Harry Falk, was seeing another woman in California?
8. Why, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, did Duke become so hysterical, even losing some control over herself?
9. How did Duke feel when she heard that John Ross had died?
10. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the various ways in which the Rosses stole Duke's youth from her. How did this affect Duke later in life?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the many ways Duke uses the word "miracle" as a theme throughout her book. What is miraculous about her life? Why is that particular word such an important one to Duke?
Essay Topic 3
When Duke left the Rosses to live alone and began to date Harry Falk, her behavior changed. In what ways did Duke behave when she was more or less on her own? Why did she behave in this fashion?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)