|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Duke and John Astin begin their five-year stint as touring stage actors?
2. What precipitated Duke's last argument with the Rosses, leading her to walk out on them?
3. When did Duke have trouble with Al Freeman, Jr. while doing "My Sweet Charlie"?
4. What is one of the first things Duke did after marrying Harry Falk?
5. What did Duke discover about herself when she brought her mother into town to attend the Emmy Awards in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Duke have people, especially her manager, so concerned about her after her acceptance of the Emmy Award for "My Sweet Charlie"?
2. Why did Duke want to make the film, Me, Natalie?
3. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
4. According to Duke in Chapter 19, what is anorexia?
5. Why did Duke decide to adopt John Astin's children?
6. Why did Duke have so much trouble in her relationship with Desi Arnaz, Jr.?
7. Why did Duke's pregnancy in Chapter 27 become such a media frenzy?
8. What helped cause Duke to have her first major manic episode?
9. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
10. How did Duke compensate, in school, for being one of the shortest students there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ethel Ross's mother died, Duke was devastated. How did "Gramma" have a direct effect upon Duke's relationship with the Rosses? How did her death become the impetus for a break between Duke and the Rosses?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities of John and Ethel Ross.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ethel and John Ross's treatment of Duke while they had control over her. Use anecdotes from the book to make your essay clear.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)