|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Duke when she tried to commit suicide by taking about thirty sleeping pills?
2. What was the gist of Duke's letter to Ethel Ross that her new manager told her not to send?
3. What happened to Duke in Chapter 31 while singing the words to a song she did not know?
4. Where is Port Bolivar, the place where "My Sweet Charlie" was filmed?
5. What is one of the first things Duke did after marrying Harry Falk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was The Patty Duke Show canceled in 1966?
2. What made Duke's suicide attempt in Chapter 23 more serious that her previous tries?
3. According to Duke in Chapter 19, what is anorexia?
4. Why was Duke's so-called formal education an embarrassment to her?
5. How did Judy Garland react when she was fired from The Valley of the Dolls?
6. Why did Duke's pregnancy in Chapter 27 become such a media frenzy?
7. Why did Duke have people, especially her manager, so concerned about her after her acceptance of the Emmy Award for "My Sweet Charlie"?
8. How did Duke happen to fall in love with Harry Falk?
9. How believable is Duke's story of her relationship with Frank Sinatra?
10. What caused Duke to suddenly take up smoking and swearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke relays two instances when John Ross (and Ethel in one instance) attempted to molest her. Explain how these instances color her feelings towards the Rosses. Examine why Duke would continue to live with them and not reach out for help at the time.
Essay Topic 2
Duke's mother was characterized as a very weak person. Examine and detail the ways in which one can easily come to this conclusion. Were there any examples of Mrs. Duke showing strength in character? How did the Rosses treat her?
Essay Topic 3
Duke married Michael Tell, a man she did not even know. What does the photograph of the two of them show about her mindset at the time? How, according to Duke, could she marry a complete stranger, and why?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)