|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Doheny Towers?
2. Why did John Ross go to Newark, New Jersey in Chapter 15?
3. What name did Duke begin to use after her marriage to Harry Falk?
4. What was Duke tutored in to make the movie musical "Billie" in 1964?
5. What reputation did Duke have with the people at Universal Studios after "My Sweet Charlie" was made in Port Bolivar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Duke have so much trouble in her relationship with Desi Arnaz, Jr.?
2. Why did Duke and her new husband, Harry Falk, find collecting Duke's money from the county clerk's office to be a painful event?
3. How did Duke compensate, in school, for being one of the shortest students there?
4. What caused Duke to suddenly take up smoking and swearing?
5. Why did Duke have people, especially her manager, so concerned about her after her acceptance of the Emmy Award for "My Sweet Charlie"?
6. How did Judy Garland react when she was fired from The Valley of the Dolls?
7. Why was The Patty Duke Show canceled in 1966?
8. What made Duke's suicide attempt in Chapter 23 more serious that her previous tries?
9. How did Duke decide to change her appearance once she became attracted to Harry Falk?
10. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of death throughout Duke's book. What evidence does Duke give that death is an important element throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Duke's mother's attitudes toward her home, her children and her husband. How was her mother a driving force in shaping Duke's attitudes toward life?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the meaning that the death of John Ross held for Duke. How does Duke feel toward Ethel Ross at this time?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)