|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Duke to curse at the Rosses for the first time ever?
2. Where was Duke when she tried to commit suicide by taking about thirty sleeping pills?
3. What was Harry Falk hiding from Duke in Los Angeles?
4. Who begged Duke to check herself into Westwood Psychiatric Hospital again in Chapter 25?
5. Who was the character, Neely, from The Valley of the Dolls based upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Duke's so-called formal education an embarrassment to her?
2. Why, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, did Duke become so hysterical, even losing some control over herself?
3. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
4. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
5. How did Duke compensate, in school, for being one of the shortest students there?
6. Why did Duke and her new husband, Harry Falk, find collecting Duke's money from the county clerk's office to be a painful event?
7. What helped cause Duke to have her first major manic episode?
8. Why might Duke have been so uncomfortable with Joanna Barnes, Harry Falk's friend?
9. How did Judy Garland react when she was fired from The Valley of the Dolls?
10. Why did Duke have so much trouble in her relationship with Desi Arnaz, Jr.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke relays two instances when John Ross (and Ethel in one instance) attempted to molest her. Explain how these instances color her feelings towards the Rosses. Examine why Duke would continue to live with them and not reach out for help at the time.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the first half of the book, Duke tells of the horrible ways the Rosses treated her. Much of the writing exhibits a tone of bitterness and anger, while at the same time there is an aura of forgiveness. Examine Duke's tone in her writing style when discussing how the Rosses treated her.
Essay Topic 3
Duke often felt, as a young girl, that even if she did something right, she had still done wrong. Give examples of times when she might have felt this way and explain why. Examine how the Rosses had a hand in Duke having these feelings of confusion.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)