|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did John Ross go to Newark, New Jersey in Chapter 15?
2. What happened to disrupt Duke's and her husband's first day driving to work together in Chapter 18?
3. Why did Duke dislike her television characters' clothing?
4. What precipitated Duke's last argument with the Rosses, leading her to walk out on them?
5. What did the inside of Harry Falk's coffee cup say in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Duke happen to fall in love with Harry Falk?
2. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
3. Why might Duke have been so uncomfortable with Joanna Barnes, Harry Falk's friend?
4. How did Duke compensate, in school, for being one of the shortest students there?
5. Why, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, did Duke become so hysterical, even losing some control over herself?
6. How did Duke get along with Judy Garland?
7. What helped cause Duke to have her first major manic episode?
8. Why did Duke's pregnancy in Chapter 27 become such a media frenzy?
9. What caused Duke to suddenly take up smoking and swearing?
10. How believable is Duke's story of her relationship with Frank Sinatra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the many ways Duke uses the word "miracle" as a theme throughout her book. What is miraculous about her life? Why is that particular word such an important one to Duke?
Essay Topic 2
Duke attempted suicide a number of times throughout her life. Describe the usual underlying reason for her suicidal thoughts. Explain why she was always saved in the end. Why did she finally decide that life is worth living?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death throughout Duke's book. What evidence does Duke give that death is an important element throughout her life?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)