|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Rosses begin to send Mr. Duke money every month?
2. Where did Duke and the other stars of Valley of the Dolls promote the film?
3. What does Duke think of her in-laws (John Astin's parents)?
4. How did Duke like the house she and John Astin lived in with their five kids?
5. Who sent Duke flowers with a note that Harry Falk found in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
2. Why, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, did Duke become so hysterical, even losing some control over herself?
3. According to Duke in Chapter 19, what is anorexia?
4. Why did Duke and her new husband, Harry Falk, find collecting Duke's money from the county clerk's office to be a painful event?
5. Why did Duke decide to adopt John Astin's children?
6. What caused Duke to suddenly take up smoking and swearing?
7. Why was The Patty Duke Show canceled in 1966?
8. Why did Duke's pregnancy in Chapter 27 become such a media frenzy?
9. How did Duke decide to change her appearance once she became attracted to Harry Falk?
10. How did Duke get along with Judy Garland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ethel Ross's mother died, Duke was devastated. How did "Gramma" have a direct effect upon Duke's relationship with the Rosses? How did her death become the impetus for a break between Duke and the Rosses?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities of John and Ethel Ross.
Essay Topic 3
Duke married Michael Tell, a man she did not even know. What does the photograph of the two of them show about her mindset at the time? How, according to Duke, could she marry a complete stranger, and why?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)