|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Duke in Chapter 31 while singing the words to a song she did not know?
2. Who did Duke end up living with for weeks in Los Angeles, in Chapter 22?
3. What board game did Michael Tell and Duke play at her apartment in the Sierra Towers?
4. Why did Duke have an urge to punch an old lady in Chapter 30?
5. What was found in Duke's closet in Port Bolivar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Duke's pregnancy in Chapter 27 become such a media frenzy?
2. How did Duke decide to change her appearance once she became attracted to Harry Falk?
3. What caused Duke to suddenly take up smoking and swearing?
4. Why was Duke's so-called formal education an embarrassment to her?
5. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
6. Why did Duke want to make the film, Me, Natalie?
7. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
8. What do you think took Duke so long to realize that her husband, Harry Falk, was seeing another woman in California?
9. Why did Duke have people, especially her manager, so concerned about her after her acceptance of the Emmy Award for "My Sweet Charlie"?
10. Why, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, did Duke become so hysterical, even losing some control over herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ethel Ross's mother died, Duke was devastated. How did "Gramma" have a direct effect upon Duke's relationship with the Rosses? How did her death become the impetus for a break between Duke and the Rosses?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the meaning that the death of John Ross held for Duke. How does Duke feel toward Ethel Ross at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the various ways in which the Rosses stole Duke's youth from her. How did this affect Duke later in life?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)