|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What precipitated Duke's last argument with the Rosses, leading her to walk out on them?
2. What was found in Duke's closet in Port Bolivar?
3. In 1974, what did John Astin's children from his first marriage want Duke to do?
4. What did Liza Minnelli lend to Duke during her Academy Awards rehearsal?
5. Where is Port Bolivar, the place where "My Sweet Charlie" was filmed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Duke have people, especially her manager, so concerned about her after her acceptance of the Emmy Award for "My Sweet Charlie"?
2. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
3. Why, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, did Duke become so hysterical, even losing some control over herself?
4. Why did Duke have so much trouble in her relationship with Desi Arnaz, Jr.?
5. Why was The Patty Duke Show canceled in 1966?
6. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
7. What made Duke's suicide attempt in Chapter 23 more serious that her previous tries?
8. How did Judy Garland react when she was fired from The Valley of the Dolls?
9. How did Duke compensate, in school, for being one of the shortest students there?
10. What helped cause Duke to have her first major manic episode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Duke's most important triumphs was her role as Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker, both on stage on in film. Explore Duke's relationship with co-star Anne Bancroft. How did Duke feel about Bancroft? What did Bancroft represent? How did the relationship affect her?
Essay Topic 2
Duke relays two instances when John Ross (and Ethel in one instance) attempted to molest her. Explain how these instances color her feelings towards the Rosses. Examine why Duke would continue to live with them and not reach out for help at the time.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the first half of the book, Duke tells of the horrible ways the Rosses treated her. Much of the writing exhibits a tone of bitterness and anger, while at the same time there is an aura of forgiveness. Examine Duke's tone in her writing style when discussing how the Rosses treated her.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)