|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Rosses take a vacation with Duke, bringing along Harry Falk?
2. What did Duke want to do with the Emmy she won in 1970?
3. What was Harry Falk hiding from Duke in Los Angeles?
4. What precipitated Duke's last argument with the Rosses, leading her to walk out on them?
5. What did John Ross apologize about in a letter to Duke in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
2. Why did Duke and her new husband, Harry Falk, find collecting Duke's money from the county clerk's office to be a painful event?
3. How did Duke happen to fall in love with Harry Falk?
4. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
5. Why did Duke decide to adopt John Astin's children?
6. Why did Duke have people, especially her manager, so concerned about her after her acceptance of the Emmy Award for "My Sweet Charlie"?
7. Why, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, did Duke become so hysterical, even losing some control over herself?
8. What made Duke's suicide attempt in Chapter 23 more serious that her previous tries?
9. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
10. Why might Duke have been so uncomfortable with Joanna Barnes, Harry Falk's friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke often felt, as a young girl, that even if she did something right, she had still done wrong. Give examples of times when she might have felt this way and explain why. Examine how the Rosses had a hand in Duke having these feelings of confusion.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ethel and John Ross's treatment of Duke while they had control over her. Use anecdotes from the book to make your essay clear.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the first half of the book, Duke tells of the horrible ways the Rosses treated her. Much of the writing exhibits a tone of bitterness and anger, while at the same time there is an aura of forgiveness. Examine Duke's tone in her writing style when discussing how the Rosses treated her.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)