|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Joanna Barnes?
2. Who is Suzanne, in Chapter 29?
3. What did Duke discover about herself when she brought her mother into town to attend the Emmy Awards in Chapter 25?
4. Why did Duke and John Astin begin their five-year stint as touring stage actors?
5. What was Duke on the brink of doing when she escaped the Westwood in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Duke have so much trouble in her relationship with Desi Arnaz, Jr.?
2. According to Duke in Chapter 19, what is anorexia?
3. How did Duke decide to change her appearance once she became attracted to Harry Falk?
4. Why might Duke have been so uncomfortable with Joanna Barnes, Harry Falk's friend?
5. What made Duke's suicide attempt in Chapter 23 more serious that her previous tries?
6. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
7. How did Judy Garland react when she was fired from The Valley of the Dolls?
8. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
9. What do you think took Duke so long to realize that her husband, Harry Falk, was seeing another woman in California?
10. Why was The Patty Duke Show canceled in 1966?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Duke's relationship (or lack thereof) with her father when she was a child. Include a description of his personality, how it affected the relationship and why Duke feels her book was written to set the record straight regarding him.
Essay Topic 2
Duke attempted suicide a number of times throughout her life. Describe the usual underlying reason for her suicidal thoughts. Explain why she was always saved in the end. Why did she finally decide that life is worth living?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities of John and Ethel Ross.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)