|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Duke when she tried to commit suicide by taking about thirty sleeping pills?
2. What did Duke tell second assistant director, Harry Falk, on the set of The Patty Duke Show?
3. What precipitated Duke's last argument with the Rosses, leading her to walk out on them?
4. What was Duke drinking during a lunch break on the set of Me, Natalie that upset Fred Coe so much?
5. Where did Duke spend her last two years of elementary school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What helped cause Duke to have her first major manic episode?
2. Why was Duke's so-called formal education an embarrassment to her?
3. What caused Duke to suddenly take up smoking and swearing?
4. Why did Duke have so much trouble in her relationship with Desi Arnaz, Jr.?
5. How did Duke get along with Judy Garland?
6. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
7. What made Duke's suicide attempt in Chapter 23 more serious that her previous tries?
8. How did Duke decide to change her appearance once she became attracted to Harry Falk?
9. Why did Duke decide to adopt John Astin's children?
10. Why was The Patty Duke Show canceled in 1966?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the first half of the book, Duke tells of the horrible ways the Rosses treated her. Much of the writing exhibits a tone of bitterness and anger, while at the same time there is an aura of forgiveness. Examine Duke's tone in her writing style when discussing how the Rosses treated her.
Essay Topic 2
Duke often felt, as a young girl, that even if she did something right, she had still done wrong. Give examples of times when she might have felt this way and explain why. Examine how the Rosses had a hand in Duke having these feelings of confusion.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ethel and John Ross's treatment of Duke while they had control over her. Use anecdotes from the book to make your essay clear.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)