|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Duke think of her in-laws (John Astin's parents)?
2. What is one of the first things Duke did after marrying Harry Falk?
3. Whose primary campaign for the Presidency was Duke involved with during the filming of Me, Natalie?
4. In Chapter 29, what would John Astin's teen son, David, do sometimes at two in the morning?
5. What was Duke tutored in to make the movie musical "Billie" in 1964?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Duke to suddenly take up smoking and swearing?
2. Why did Duke have so much trouble in her relationship with Desi Arnaz, Jr.?
3. Why was Duke's so-called formal education an embarrassment to her?
4. Why, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, did Duke become so hysterical, even losing some control over herself?
5. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
6. Why did Duke have people, especially her manager, so concerned about her after her acceptance of the Emmy Award for "My Sweet Charlie"?
7. How believable is Duke's story of her relationship with Frank Sinatra?
8. How did Duke happen to fall in love with Harry Falk?
9. Why did Duke want to make the film, Me, Natalie?
10. Why was The Patty Duke Show canceled in 1966?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Duke's mother's attitudes toward her home, her children and her husband. How was her mother a driving force in shaping Duke's attitudes toward life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Duke's relationship (or lack thereof) with her father when she was a child. Include a description of his personality, how it affected the relationship and why Duke feels her book was written to set the record straight regarding him.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death throughout Duke's book. What evidence does Duke give that death is an important element throughout her life?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)