|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Duke's mother's hand when the family lived on East 31st Street?
2. Who was Mrs. Duke most worried about during Duke's near-accidental drowning in Chapter 11?
3. What neighborhood did Duke's family live in when she was a child?
4. What habit did Duke develop to cover the sound of her screams at night in Chapter 4?
5. What did Duke have nightmares about in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
2. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
3. Why would Shirley Bernstein get nervous when asking Duke four questions?
4. Why did Duke feel so close to Jean Byron, the actress who played Duke's mother on The Patty Duke Show?
5. What job did Duke have to do as a child that involved going to a bar?
6. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
7. When filming for The Miracle Worker movie began, why was Duke thrilled to be able to travel to the set on her own?
8. What were some of the things about her parts in the play, The Miracle Worker, that Duke liked best?
9. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
10. Why did John Ross change his name from John Valentine Rossi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke married assistant director Harry Falk and escaped the grips of the Rosses at last. Explore the relationship between Duke and Harry Falk. Why did she marry this particular man? What was the trajectory of their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Duke's relationship (or lack thereof) with her father when she was a child. Include a description of his personality, how it affected the relationship and why Duke feels her book was written to set the record straight regarding him.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the meaning that the death of John Ross held for Duke. How does Duke feel toward Ethel Ross at this time?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)