|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Duke's family's Christmas tree nearly every year when she was a child?
2. In which year did Duke make headlines in the New York Times?
3. What writer did Duke have a crush on in Chapter 8?
4. What happened to Duke's hair when she got too old to wear braids?
5. Who lived in an old mansion on 74th Street in Manhattan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of lies would the Rosses make up in order to get acting work for Duke?
2. During the run of The Miracle Worker on Broadway, what one part of the temper tantrums in Act 2 did Duke find the most horrible to deal with?
3. How did Duke's mother use the city bus as a form of recreation?
4. While onstage during The Miracle Worker in Chapter 9, what did actor Thorin Thatcher do when he forgot his lines?
5. How was it that Duke did not see the movies she appeared in until many years later?
6. When did Duke realize that the Rosses had attempted to molest her?
7. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
8. Why did Duke have to appear before the House Special Subcommittee on Legislative Oversight in 1959?
9. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
10. What job did Duke have to do as a child that involved going to a bar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the meaning that the death of John Ross held for Duke. How does Duke feel toward Ethel Ross at this time?
Essay Topic 2
When Duke left the Rosses to live alone and began to date Harry Falk, her behavior changed. In what ways did Duke behave when she was more or less on her own? Why did she behave in this fashion?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Duke's mother's attitudes toward her home, her children and her husband. How was her mother a driving force in shaping Duke's attitudes toward life?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)