|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which play did rehearsals begin in August of 1959?
2. What has Ray not done ever since his father died?
3. What was the next stage role the Rosses found for Duke after The Miracle Worker?
4. Who did Duke have her most memorable meeting with during the run of The Miracle Worker?
5. Why did Duke's mother spend time on the roof of their building?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did John Ross change his name from John Valentine Rossi?
2. When filming for The Miracle Worker movie began, why was Duke thrilled to be able to travel to the set on her own?
3. What was Duke most anxious about, causing her to go into psychotherapy for years?
4. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
5. Why would Shirley Bernstein get nervous when asking Duke four questions?
6. How did the Rosses ease The Miracle Worker's producers' fears that Duke would grow tall too quickly to fit into the role for long?
7. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
8. Why did Duke have to appear before the House Special Subcommittee on Legislative Oversight in 1959?
9. When did Duke realize that the Rosses had attempted to molest her?
10. Why was the last day of shooting of The Miracle Worker something Duke had long been dreading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke often felt, as a young girl, that even if she did something right, she had still done wrong. Give examples of times when she might have felt this way and explain why. Examine how the Rosses had a hand in Duke having these feelings of confusion.
Essay Topic 2
Duke relays two instances when John Ross (and Ethel in one instance) attempted to molest her. Explain how these instances color her feelings towards the Rosses. Examine why Duke would continue to live with them and not reach out for help at the time.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death throughout Duke's book. What evidence does Duke give that death is an important element throughout her life?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)