|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what illness was Duke diagnosed in 1982?
2. What was Duke's father's main problem in life?
3. Where did Duke's father take her on Sundays after church?
4. Who lived at 316 East 31st Street?
5. One of Duke's biggest career disappointments was not being cast in which film?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Duke believe she was well trained by the Rosses?
2. How did Duke act at Annie Bancraft's final performance in The Miracle Worker?
3. What was Duke most anxious about, causing her to go into psychotherapy for years?
4. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
5. What did the Rosses do for Duke if she even seemed to be getting sick?
6. In Chapter 14, what was one of the worst stage experiences Duke ever had?
7. How did Duke's mother use the city bus as a form of recreation?
8. Why did Duke feel so close to Jean Byron, the actress who played Duke's mother on The Patty Duke Show?
9. How did Duke come to meet the Rosses?
10. How did the Rosses ease The Miracle Worker's producers' fears that Duke would grow tall too quickly to fit into the role for long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the various ways in which the Rosses stole Duke's youth from her. How did this affect Duke later in life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ethel and John Ross's treatment of Duke while they had control over her. Use anecdotes from the book to make your essay clear.
Essay Topic 3
Duke often felt, as a young girl, that even if she did something right, she had still done wrong. Give examples of times when she might have felt this way and explain why. Examine how the Rosses had a hand in Duke having these feelings of confusion.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)