|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lived at 316 East 31st Street?
2. What did the Rosses have Duke do from her very first audition?
3. Why did Duke's mother spend time on the roof of their building?
4. What was the main reason that the Rosses were willing to let Duke leave The Miracle Worker play?
5. Who was Sidney Sheldon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Duke's mother use the city bus as a form of recreation?
2. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
3. What were some of the things about her parts in the play, The Miracle Worker, that Duke liked best?
4. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
5. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
6. When did Duke realize that the Rosses had attempted to molest her?
7. What philosophical approach, suggested by Astin, does Duke follow today?
8. What did Duke find herself praying for in Chapter 6?
9. How was it that, as detailed in Chapter 5, Duke was more afraid of the Rosses than she was of God?
10. In what way does Duke believe she was well trained by the Rosses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the meaning that the death of John Ross held for Duke. How does Duke feel toward Ethel Ross at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the many ways Duke uses the word "miracle" as a theme throughout her book. What is miraculous about her life? Why is that particular word such an important one to Duke?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Duke's relationship (or lack thereof) with her father when she was a child. Include a description of his personality, how it affected the relationship and why Duke feels her book was written to set the record straight regarding him.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)