|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what illness was Duke diagnosed in 1982?
2. Who was the principal earner in the Ross household?
3. What were there a lot of in the isolation booths of The $64,000 Challenge?
4. What did Duke get to say to Annie during The MIracle Worker play, without the audience knowing it was her speaking?
5. What night of the year was it when Duke's sister went out with a man and her mother attacked herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did John Ross change his name from John Valentine Rossi?
2. How did Duke come to meet the Rosses?
3. How was the Ross's dog, Bambi, treated?
4. How did the Rosses ease The Miracle Worker's producers' fears that Duke would grow tall too quickly to fit into the role for long?
5. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
6. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
7. Why did Duke feel so close to Jean Byron, the actress who played Duke's mother on The Patty Duke Show?
8. Why was the last day of shooting of The Miracle Worker something Duke had long been dreading?
9. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
10. How was it that, as detailed in Chapter 5, Duke was more afraid of the Rosses than she was of God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ethel and John Ross's treatment of Duke while they had control over her. Use anecdotes from the book to make your essay clear.
Essay Topic 2
Duke often felt, as a young girl, that even if she did something right, she had still done wrong. Give examples of times when she might have felt this way and explain why. Examine how the Rosses had a hand in Duke having these feelings of confusion.
Essay Topic 3
Duke married Michael Tell, a man she did not even know. What does the photograph of the two of them show about her mindset at the time? How, according to Duke, could she marry a complete stranger, and why?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)