|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writer did Duke have a crush on in Chapter 8?
2. What has Duke never been able to deal with successfully?
3. What happened to Duke just before rehearsals as the result of an accident in Chapter 9?
4. What, cinematically, was there a lack of in The Miracle Worker film?
5. What habit did Duke develop to cover the sound of her screams at night in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What helped cause Duke to have her first major manic episode?
2. What job did Duke have to do as a child that involved going to a bar?
3. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
4. In Chapter 14, what was one of the worst stage experiences Duke ever had?
5. While the children were very bothersome to Duke, John Astin seemed to have no trouble with them. Why was this?
6. What sort of lies would the Rosses make up in order to get acting work for Duke?
7. How did Duke act at Annie Bancraft's final performance in The Miracle Worker?
8. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
9. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
10. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the first half of the book, Duke tells of the horrible ways the Rosses treated her. Much of the writing exhibits a tone of bitterness and anger, while at the same time there is an aura of forgiveness. Examine Duke's tone in her writing style when discussing how the Rosses treated her.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Duke's behavior as a child TV star living with the Rosses and her behavior as an adult.
Essay Topic 3
Duke often felt, as a young girl, that even if she did something right, she had still done wrong. Give examples of times when she might have felt this way and explain why. Examine how the Rosses had a hand in Duke having these feelings of confusion.
This section contains 1,668 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)