|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which scene in the movie was the most exhausting for everyone to film?
2. What, cinematically, was there a lack of in The Miracle Worker film?
3. What had Ethel Ross once done for a living?
4. What was John Ross's attitude towards Duke when he drank too much in Chapter 13?
5. What was Duke's real name, that the Rosses wanted to change?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
2. What were some of the things about her parts in the play, The Miracle Worker, that Duke liked best?
3. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
4. How was the Ross's dog, Bambi, treated?
5. In Chapter 14, what was one of the worst stage experiences Duke ever had?
6. During the run of The Miracle Worker on Broadway, what one part of the temper tantrums in Act 2 did Duke find the most horrible to deal with?
7. What did Duke find herself praying for in Chapter 6?
8. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
9. How did Duke's mother use the city bus as a form of recreation?
10. How did Duke come to meet the Rosses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke relays two instances when John Ross (and Ethel in one instance) attempted to molest her. Explain how these instances color her feelings towards the Rosses. Examine why Duke would continue to live with them and not reach out for help at the time.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the many ways Duke uses the word "miracle" as a theme throughout her book. What is miraculous about her life? Why is that particular word such an important one to Duke?
Essay Topic 3
Duke married assistant director Harry Falk and escaped the grips of the Rosses at last. Explore the relationship between Duke and Harry Falk. Why did she marry this particular man? What was the trajectory of their relationship?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)