|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the main reason that the Rosses were willing to let Duke leave The Miracle Worker play?
2. Why was The Patty Duke Show so exciting for Duke to do?
3. What did Duke do to her understudy on a matinee day in Chapter 10?
4. Why did the Rosses let Duke leave the apartment on her own to begin filming in Chapter 12?
5. In Chapter 12, what were the black woman's cats referred to as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
2. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
3. Why would Shirley Bernstein get nervous when asking Duke four questions?
4. When did Duke realize that the Rosses had attempted to molest her?
5. While onstage during The Miracle Worker in Chapter 9, what did actor Thorin Thatcher do when he forgot his lines?
6. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
7. What did Duke find herself praying for in Chapter 6?
8. How was it that Duke did not see the movies she appeared in until many years later?
9. How did Duke come to meet the Rosses?
10. Why did Duke have to appear before the House Special Subcommittee on Legislative Oversight in 1959?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ethel and John Ross's treatment of Duke while they had control over her. Use anecdotes from the book to make your essay clear.
Essay Topic 2
Duke often felt, as a young girl, that even if she did something right, she had still done wrong. Give examples of times when she might have felt this way and explain why. Examine how the Rosses had a hand in Duke having these feelings of confusion.
Essay Topic 3
One of Duke's most important triumphs was her role as Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker, both on stage on in film. Explore Duke's relationship with co-star Anne Bancroft. How did Duke feel about Bancroft? What did Bancroft represent? How did the relationship affect her?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)