|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Ross's standard positive phrase to Duke, as told in Chapter 13?
2. Who did Duke get to meet through her work with the Muscular Dystrophy Association in Chapter 14?
3. What were there a lot of in the isolation booths of The $64,000 Challenge?
4. Who lived at 316 East 31st Street?
5. Why did Duke sometimes purposely make mistakes during rehearsals of The Miracle Worker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job did Duke have to do as a child that involved going to a bar?
2. Why would Shirley Bernstein get nervous when asking Duke four questions?
3. Why did Duke feel so close to Jean Byron, the actress who played Duke's mother on The Patty Duke Show?
4. In Chapter 14, what was one of the worst stage experiences Duke ever had?
5. In Chapter 3, how did Duke use her dog, Skippy, to help her cry on New Year's Eve?
6. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
7. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
8. What were some of the things about her parts in the play, The Miracle Worker, that Duke liked best?
9. How was it that, as detailed in Chapter 5, Duke was more afraid of the Rosses than she was of God?
10. What did Duke find herself praying for in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ethel Ross's mother died, Duke was devastated. How did "Gramma" have a direct effect upon Duke's relationship with the Rosses? How did her death become the impetus for a break between Duke and the Rosses?
Essay Topic 2
Duke attempted suicide a number of times throughout her life. Describe the usual underlying reason for her suicidal thoughts. Explain why she was always saved in the end. Why did she finally decide that life is worth living?
Essay Topic 3
When Duke left the Rosses to live alone and began to date Harry Falk, her behavior changed. In what ways did Duke behave when she was more or less on her own? Why did she behave in this fashion?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)