|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Rosses and Duke go on their one vacation during The Miracle Worker's run?
2. What did the Rosses prep Duke for, with John Ross quizzing her on every possible topic or approach?
3. What neighborhood did Duke's family live in when she was a child?
4. In which play did Duke win a major role in Chapter 8?
5. What does Duke associate the smells of Old Spice and alcohol with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Duke's suicide attempt in Chapter 23 more serious that her previous tries?
2. During the run of The Miracle Worker on Broadway, what one part of the temper tantrums in Act 2 did Duke find the most horrible to deal with?
3. Why was Duke's so-called formal education an embarrassment to her?
4. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
5. Why did John Ross change his name from John Valentine Rossi?
6. What did the Rosses do for Duke if she even seemed to be getting sick?
7. What philosophical approach, suggested by Astin, does Duke follow today?
8. Why did Duke have to appear before the House Special Subcommittee on Legislative Oversight in 1959?
9. When did Duke realize that the Rosses had attempted to molest her?
10. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ethel and John Ross's treatment of Duke while they had control over her. Use anecdotes from the book to make your essay clear.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Duke's behavior as a child TV star living with the Rosses and her behavior as an adult.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities of John and Ethel Ross.
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)