|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Duke associate the smells of Old Spice and alcohol with?
2. What was John Ross's attitude towards Duke when he drank too much in Chapter 13?
3. What was the next stage role the Rosses found for Duke after The Miracle Worker?
4. What did the Rosses have a doctor give Duke a shot of whenever she was ill in Chapter 11?
5. What kind of accent did Duke have that the Rosses wanted to change?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Duke most anxious about, causing her to go into psychotherapy for years?
2. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
3. While onstage during The Miracle Worker in Chapter 9, what did actor Thorin Thatcher do when he forgot his lines?
4. In Chapter 14, what was one of the worst stage experiences Duke ever had?
5. What sort of lies would the Rosses make up in order to get acting work for Duke?
6. During the run of The Miracle Worker on Broadway, what one part of the temper tantrums in Act 2 did Duke find the most horrible to deal with?
7. Why did Duke feel so close to Jean Byron, the actress who played Duke's mother on The Patty Duke Show?
8. What did the Rosses do for Duke if she even seemed to be getting sick?
9. When filming for The Miracle Worker movie began, why was Duke thrilled to be able to travel to the set on her own?
10. In Chapter 3, how did Duke use her dog, Skippy, to help her cry on New Year's Eve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Duke's most important triumphs was her role as Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker, both on stage on in film. Explore Duke's relationship with co-star Anne Bancroft. How did Duke feel about Bancroft? What did Bancroft represent? How did the relationship affect her?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Duke's mother's attitudes toward her home, her children and her husband. How was her mother a driving force in shaping Duke's attitudes toward life?
Essay Topic 3
Duke often felt, as a young girl, that even if she did something right, she had still done wrong. Give examples of times when she might have felt this way and explain why. Examine how the Rosses had a hand in Duke having these feelings of confusion.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)