|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Rosses let Duke leave the apartment on her own to begin filming in Chapter 12?
2. What does Duke associate the smells of Old Spice and alcohol with?
3. In which year did Duke make headlines in the New York Times?
4. What role-playing game did Duke play with her childhood friend, Margie?
5. Why did Duke go through basic training at Fort Benning, Georgia, in 1985?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
2. What contributed to Duke's difficulty with keeping control of and monitoring her son, Sean, on the set of "Please Don't Hit Me, Mom"?
3. What do you think took Duke so long to realize that her husband, Harry Falk, was seeing another woman in California?
4. While onstage during The Miracle Worker in Chapter 9, what did actor Thorin Thatcher do when he forgot his lines?
5. How did Duke happen to fall in love with Harry Falk?
6. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
7. How did Duke act at Annie Bancraft's final performance in The Miracle Worker?
8. How did the Rosses ease The Miracle Worker's producers' fears that Duke would grow tall too quickly to fit into the role for long?
9. Why might Duke have been so uncomfortable with Joanna Barnes, Harry Falk's friend?
10. Why did Duke and her new husband, Harry Falk, find collecting Duke's money from the county clerk's office to be a painful event?
Essay Topic 1
Duke relays two instances when John Ross (and Ethel in one instance) attempted to molest her. Explain how these instances color her feelings towards the Rosses. Examine why Duke would continue to live with them and not reach out for help at the time.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ethel and John Ross's treatment of Duke while they had control over her. Use anecdotes from the book to make your essay clear.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death throughout Duke's book. What evidence does Duke give that death is an important element throughout her life?
This section contains 1,753 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)