|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name does Duke refer to the Rosses in Chapter 12?
2. What was John Ross's attitude towards Duke when he drank too much in Chapter 13?
3. For which play did rehearsals begin in August of 1959?
4. What religion did Ethel Ross tell Duke she now was, in Chapter 9?
5. What was the fictional name of Duke's boyfriend on The Patty Duke Show?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Duke come to meet the Rosses?
2. What philosophical approach, suggested by Astin, does Duke follow today?
3. What was Duke most anxious about, causing her to go into psychotherapy for years?
4. How did Duke's mother use the city bus as a form of recreation?
5. In Chapter 3, how did Duke use her dog, Skippy, to help her cry on New Year's Eve?
6. During the run of The Miracle Worker on Broadway, what one part of the temper tantrums in Act 2 did Duke find the most horrible to deal with?
7. Why did Duke feel so close to Jean Byron, the actress who played Duke's mother on The Patty Duke Show?
8. When filming for The Miracle Worker movie began, why was Duke thrilled to be able to travel to the set on her own?
9. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
10. How was it that, as detailed in Chapter 5, Duke was more afraid of the Rosses than she was of God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Duke and John Astin. What did Duke realize in the end that she found most attractive about Astin? What was the chemistry between the two?
Essay Topic 2
Duke often felt, as a young girl, that even if she did something right, she had still done wrong. Give examples of times when she might have felt this way and explain why. Examine how the Rosses had a hand in Duke having these feelings of confusion.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the first half of the book, Duke tells of the horrible ways the Rosses treated her. Much of the writing exhibits a tone of bitterness and anger, while at the same time there is an aura of forgiveness. Examine Duke's tone in her writing style when discussing how the Rosses treated her.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)