|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Duke get to meet through her work with the Muscular Dystrophy Association in Chapter 14?
2. What, cinematically, was there a lack of in The Miracle Worker film?
3. What was the main reason that the Rosses were willing to let Duke leave The Miracle Worker play?
4. Where did the Rosses and Duke go on their one vacation during The Miracle Worker's run?
5. What did the Rosses prep Duke for, with John Ross quizzing her on every possible topic or approach?
Short Essay Questions
1. While onstage during The Miracle Worker in Chapter 9, what did actor Thorin Thatcher do when he forgot his lines?
2. In what way does Duke believe she was well trained by the Rosses?
3. How did Duke act at Annie Bancraft's final performance in The Miracle Worker?
4. In Chapter 3, how did Duke use her dog, Skippy, to help her cry on New Year's Eve?
5. Why did Duke have to appear before the House Special Subcommittee on Legislative Oversight in 1959?
6. What did the Rosses do for Duke if she even seemed to be getting sick?
7. How was the Ross's dog, Bambi, treated?
8. What did Duke find herself praying for in Chapter 6?
9. What were some of the things about her parts in the play, The Miracle Worker, that Duke liked best?
10. What job did Duke have to do as a child that involved going to a bar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke married assistant director Harry Falk and escaped the grips of the Rosses at last. Explore the relationship between Duke and Harry Falk. Why did she marry this particular man? What was the trajectory of their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Duke's relationship (or lack thereof) with her father when she was a child. Include a description of his personality, how it affected the relationship and why Duke feels her book was written to set the record straight regarding him.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Duke's mother's attitudes toward her home, her children and her husband. How was her mother a driving force in shaping Duke's attitudes toward life?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)