|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As told in Chapter 10, what did Duke have to hide from other people, even after knowing how well The Miracle Worker was doing?
2. What night of the year was it when Duke's sister went out with a man and her mother attacked herself?
3. Why did the Rosses have Stanley Praeger fired in Chapter 14?
4. What did Duke have to walk to a bar to get as a child?
5. What color was John Ross's hair when Duke met him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
2. What was Duke most anxious about, causing her to go into psychotherapy for years?
3. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
4. What did the Rosses do for Duke if she even seemed to be getting sick?
5. How was it that, as detailed in Chapter 5, Duke was more afraid of the Rosses than she was of God?
6. What sort of lies would the Rosses make up in order to get acting work for Duke?
7. What philosophical approach, suggested by Astin, does Duke follow today?
8. What did Duke find herself praying for in Chapter 6?
9. How was the Ross's dog, Bambi, treated?
10. How did Duke act at Annie Bancraft's final performance in The Miracle Worker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ethel Ross's mother died, Duke was devastated. How did "Gramma" have a direct effect upon Duke's relationship with the Rosses? How did her death become the impetus for a break between Duke and the Rosses?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ethel and John Ross's treatment of Duke while they had control over her. Use anecdotes from the book to make your essay clear.
Essay Topic 3
One of Duke's most important triumphs was her role as Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker, both on stage on in film. Explore Duke's relationship with co-star Anne Bancroft. How did Duke feel about Bancroft? What did Bancroft represent? How did the relationship affect her?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)