|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were there a lot of in the isolation booths of The $64,000 Challenge?
2. Why did the Rosses let Duke leave the apartment on her own to begin filming in Chapter 12?
3. With what illness was Duke diagnosed in 1982?
4. What did Duke get to say to Annie during The MIracle Worker play, without the audience knowing it was her speaking?
5. What was Duke's real name, that the Rosses wanted to change?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Duke believe she was well trained by the Rosses?
2. How was it that, as detailed in Chapter 5, Duke was more afraid of the Rosses than she was of God?
3. What sort of lies would the Rosses make up in order to get acting work for Duke?
4. What did Duke find herself praying for in Chapter 6?
5. What did the Rosses do for Duke if she even seemed to be getting sick?
6. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
7. How did Duke act at Annie Bancraft's final performance in The Miracle Worker?
8. How was it that Duke did not see the movies she appeared in until many years later?
9. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
10. How did Duke's mother use the city bus as a form of recreation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the many ways Duke uses the word "miracle" as a theme throughout her book. What is miraculous about her life? Why is that particular word such an important one to Duke?
Essay Topic 2
When Ethel Ross's mother died, Duke was devastated. How did "Gramma" have a direct effect upon Duke's relationship with the Rosses? How did her death become the impetus for a break between Duke and the Rosses?
Essay Topic 3
Duke married Michael Tell, a man she did not even know. What does the photograph of the two of them show about her mindset at the time? How, according to Duke, could she marry a complete stranger, and why?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)