|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which play did Duke win a major role in Chapter 8?
2. In which year did Duke make headlines in the New York Times?
3. Which summer stock play production did Duke fail to win a part in?
4. What did the Rosses prep Duke for, with John Ross quizzing her on every possible topic or approach?
5. What word did the Rosses use to tell Duke about the way she looked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the things about her parts in the play, The Miracle Worker, that Duke liked best?
2. How did Duke come to meet the Rosses?
3. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
4. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
5. When filming for The Miracle Worker movie began, why was Duke thrilled to be able to travel to the set on her own?
6. Why did Duke feel so close to Jean Byron, the actress who played Duke's mother on The Patty Duke Show?
7. When did Duke realize that the Rosses had attempted to molest her?
8. What did the Rosses do for Duke if she even seemed to be getting sick?
9. Why was the last day of shooting of The Miracle Worker something Duke had long been dreading?
10. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ethel Ross's mother died, Duke was devastated. How did "Gramma" have a direct effect upon Duke's relationship with the Rosses? How did her death become the impetus for a break between Duke and the Rosses?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the various ways in which the Rosses stole Duke's youth from her. How did this affect Duke later in life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Duke's relationship (or lack thereof) with her father when she was a child. Include a description of his personality, how it affected the relationship and why Duke feels her book was written to set the record straight regarding him.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)