|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Duke sometimes purposely make mistakes during rehearsals of The Miracle Worker?
2. How many children did Ethel and John Ross have of their own?
3. In which year did Duke make headlines in the New York Times?
4. What habit did Duke develop to cover the sound of her screams at night in Chapter 4?
5. What did the Rosses prep Duke for, with John Ross quizzing her on every possible topic or approach?
Short Essay Questions
1. When filming for The Miracle Worker movie began, why was Duke thrilled to be able to travel to the set on her own?
2. Why did Duke have to appear before the House Special Subcommittee on Legislative Oversight in 1959?
3. Why was the last day of shooting of The Miracle Worker something Duke had long been dreading?
4. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
5. What were some of the things about her parts in the play, The Miracle Worker, that Duke liked best?
6. What job did Duke have to do as a child that involved going to a bar?
7. During the run of The Miracle Worker on Broadway, what one part of the temper tantrums in Act 2 did Duke find the most horrible to deal with?
8. What was Duke most anxious about, causing her to go into psychotherapy for years?
9. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
10. Why did John Ross change his name from John Valentine Rossi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the meaning that the death of John Ross held for Duke. How does Duke feel toward Ethel Ross at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Duke relays two instances when John Ross (and Ethel in one instance) attempted to molest her. Explain how these instances color her feelings towards the Rosses. Examine why Duke would continue to live with them and not reach out for help at the time.
Essay Topic 3
Duke's mother was characterized as a very weak person. Examine and detail the ways in which one can easily come to this conclusion. Were there any examples of Mrs. Duke showing strength in character? How did the Rosses treat her?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)