|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the principal earner in the Ross household?
2. Where did Duke's father take her on Sundays after church?
3. Which summer stock play production did Duke fail to win a part in?
4. What commercial was Joey Trent, the other child the Rosses coached, famous for?
5. For which play did rehearsals begin in August of 1959?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
2. What was Duke most anxious about, causing her to go into psychotherapy for years?
3. What did the Rosses do for Duke if she even seemed to be getting sick?
4. Why did Duke have to appear before the House Special Subcommittee on Legislative Oversight in 1959?
5. What sort of lies would the Rosses make up in order to get acting work for Duke?
6. When filming for The Miracle Worker movie began, why was Duke thrilled to be able to travel to the set on her own?
7. How did Duke's mother use the city bus as a form of recreation?
8. What philosophical approach, suggested by Astin, does Duke follow today?
9. Why would Shirley Bernstein get nervous when asking Duke four questions?
10. How was it that, as detailed in Chapter 5, Duke was more afraid of the Rosses than she was of God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ethel Ross's mother died, Duke was devastated. How did "Gramma" have a direct effect upon Duke's relationship with the Rosses? How did her death become the impetus for a break between Duke and the Rosses?
Essay Topic 2
One of Duke's most important triumphs was her role as Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker, both on stage on in film. Explore Duke's relationship with co-star Anne Bancroft. How did Duke feel about Bancroft? What did Bancroft represent? How did the relationship affect her?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the first half of the book, Duke tells of the horrible ways the Rosses treated her. Much of the writing exhibits a tone of bitterness and anger, while at the same time there is an aura of forgiveness. Examine Duke's tone in her writing style when discussing how the Rosses treated her.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)