|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Rosses and Duke go on their one vacation during The Miracle Worker's run?
2. Why did Duke sometimes purposely make mistakes during rehearsals of The Miracle Worker?
3. In Chapter 4, it is noted that Mrs. Duke lived in a basement apartment in:
4. What did Duke have nightmares about in Chapter 6?
5. What has Duke never been able to deal with successfully?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
2. What do you think took Duke so long to realize that her husband, Harry Falk, was seeing another woman in California?
3. What did the Rosses do for Duke if she even seemed to be getting sick?
4. What caused Duke to suddenly take up smoking and swearing?
5. What job did Duke have to do as a child that involved going to a bar?
6. While onstage during The Miracle Worker in Chapter 9, what did actor Thorin Thatcher do when he forgot his lines?
7. What got Duke interested in being involved with union work?
8. What helped cause Duke to have her first major manic episode?
9. How did Duke come to meet the Rosses?
10. Why was the last day of shooting of The Miracle Worker something Duke had long been dreading?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the first half of the book, Duke tells of the horrible ways the Rosses treated her. Much of the writing exhibits a tone of bitterness and anger, while at the same time there is an aura of forgiveness. Examine Duke's tone in her writing style when discussing how the Rosses treated her.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the various ways in which the Rosses stole Duke's youth from her. How did this affect Duke later in life?
Essay Topic 3
Duke's mother was characterized as a very weak person. Examine and detail the ways in which one can easily come to this conclusion. Were there any examples of Mrs. Duke showing strength in character? How did the Rosses treat her?
This section contains 1,575 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)