|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the science fiction film that Duke was in from 1959?
2. What religion did Ethel Ross tell Duke she now was, in Chapter 9?
3. Why did Duke go through basic training at Fort Benning, Georgia, in 1985?
4. What was the next stage role the Rosses found for Duke after The Miracle Worker?
5. What event took place for Duke on March 7, 1960?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
2. What did the Rosses do for Duke if she even seemed to be getting sick?
3. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
4. Why did Duke have to appear before the House Special Subcommittee on Legislative Oversight in 1959?
5. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
6. When filming for The Miracle Worker movie began, why was Duke thrilled to be able to travel to the set on her own?
7. How was the Ross's dog, Bambi, treated?
8. While onstage during The Miracle Worker in Chapter 9, what did actor Thorin Thatcher do when he forgot his lines?
9. What were some of the things about her parts in the play, The Miracle Worker, that Duke liked best?
10. What philosophical approach, suggested by Astin, does Duke follow today?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Duke's most important triumphs was her role as Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker, both on stage on in film. Explore Duke's relationship with co-star Anne Bancroft. How did Duke feel about Bancroft? What did Bancroft represent? How did the relationship affect her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Duke's relationship (or lack thereof) with her father when she was a child. Include a description of his personality, how it affected the relationship and why Duke feels her book was written to set the record straight regarding him.
Essay Topic 3
Duke married Michael Tell, a man she did not even know. What does the photograph of the two of them show about her mindset at the time? How, according to Duke, could she marry a complete stranger, and why?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)