|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lived in an old mansion on 74th Street in Manhattan?
2. What does Duke associate the smells of Old Spice and alcohol with?
3. What was John Ross's attitude towards Duke when he drank too much in Chapter 13?
4. When Duke introduced her then-husband, John Astin, to Sir Laurence Olivier, why couldn't Olivier shake hands?
5. What was the fictional name of Duke's boyfriend on The Patty Duke Show?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Duke to suddenly take up smoking and swearing?
2. What sort of lies would the Rosses make up in order to get acting work for Duke?
3. In what way does Duke believe she was well trained by the Rosses?
4. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
5. What made Duke's suicide attempt in Chapter 23 more serious that her previous tries?
6. According to Duke in Chapter 19, what is anorexia?
7. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
8. When did Duke realize that the Rosses had attempted to molest her?
9. Why did John Ross change his name from John Valentine Rossi?
10. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke relays two instances when John Ross (and Ethel in one instance) attempted to molest her. Explain how these instances color her feelings towards the Rosses. Examine why Duke would continue to live with them and not reach out for help at the time.
Essay Topic 2
One of Duke's most important triumphs was her role as Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker, both on stage on in film. Explore Duke's relationship with co-star Anne Bancroft. How did Duke feel about Bancroft? What did Bancroft represent? How did the relationship affect her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between Duke and John Astin. What did Duke realize in the end that she found most attractive about Astin? What was the chemistry between the two?
This section contains 1,539 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)