|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which play did rehearsals begin in August of 1959?
2. Why did the Rosses have Stanley Praeger fired in Chapter 14?
3. What role-playing game did Duke play with her childhood friend, Margie?
4. What happened to Duke's hair when she got too old to wear braids?
5. Who was Sidney Sheldon?
Short Essay Questions
1. While onstage during The Miracle Worker in Chapter 9, what did actor Thorin Thatcher do when he forgot his lines?
2. How did Duke come to meet the Rosses?
3. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
4. What sort of lies would the Rosses make up in order to get acting work for Duke?
5. Why did John Ross change his name from John Valentine Rossi?
6. When did Duke realize that the Rosses had attempted to molest her?
7. In Chapter 14, what was one of the worst stage experiences Duke ever had?
8. In Chapter 3, how did Duke use her dog, Skippy, to help her cry on New Year's Eve?
9. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
10. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke married Michael Tell, a man she did not even know. What does the photograph of the two of them show about her mindset at the time? How, according to Duke, could she marry a complete stranger, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of death throughout Duke's book. What evidence does Duke give that death is an important element throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
When Ethel Ross's mother died, Duke was devastated. How did "Gramma" have a direct effect upon Duke's relationship with the Rosses? How did her death become the impetus for a break between Duke and the Rosses?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)