|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was The Patty Duke Show so exciting for Duke to do?
2. What does Duke associate the smells of Old Spice and alcohol with?
3. What did Duke get to say to Annie during The MIracle Worker play, without the audience knowing it was her speaking?
4. Why did Duke's mother spend time on the roof of their building?
5. What religion did Ethel Ross tell Duke she now was, in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. When filming for The Miracle Worker movie began, why was Duke thrilled to be able to travel to the set on her own?
2. Why did Duke feel so close to Jean Byron, the actress who played Duke's mother on The Patty Duke Show?
3. Why did John Ross change his name from John Valentine Rossi?
4. Why was the last day of shooting of The Miracle Worker something Duke had long been dreading?
5. Why would Shirley Bernstein get nervous when asking Duke four questions?
6. What were some of the things about her parts in the play, The Miracle Worker, that Duke liked best?
7. In Chapter 3, how did Duke use her dog, Skippy, to help her cry on New Year's Eve?
8. How was it that, as detailed in Chapter 5, Duke was more afraid of the Rosses than she was of God?
9. What philosophical approach, suggested by Astin, does Duke follow today?
10. How did Duke's mother use the city bus as a form of recreation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duke married Michael Tell, a man she did not even know. What does the photograph of the two of them show about her mindset at the time? How, according to Duke, could she marry a complete stranger, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Duke married assistant director Harry Falk and escaped the grips of the Rosses at last. Explore the relationship between Duke and Harry Falk. Why did she marry this particular man? What was the trajectory of their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
When Duke left the Rosses to live alone and began to date Harry Falk, her behavior changed. In what ways did Duke behave when she was more or less on her own? Why did she behave in this fashion?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)