|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role-playing game did Duke play with her childhood friend, Margie?
2. What did Bill Schallert very often pretend to be around Duke?
3. What religion did Ethel Ross tell Duke she now was, in Chapter 9?
4. What did Duke do to her understudy on a matinee day in Chapter 10?
5. Where did Duke's brother Ray have to fly home from to identify their father's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Duke realize that the Rosses had attempted to molest her?
2. While onstage during The Miracle Worker in Chapter 9, what did actor Thorin Thatcher do when he forgot his lines?
3. How was the Ross's dog, Bambi, treated?
4. In Chapter 3, how did Duke use her dog, Skippy, to help her cry on New Year's Eve?
5. What philosophical approach, suggested by Astin, does Duke follow today?
6. What job did Duke have to do as a child that involved going to a bar?
7. Why was it that Duke was not able to see her close-up in the film, The Miracle Worker, when she made a good and bad girl face?
8. What were some of the things about her parts in the play, The Miracle Worker, that Duke liked best?
9. What was Duke most anxious about, causing her to go into psychotherapy for years?
10. How was it that, as detailed in Chapter 5, Duke was more afraid of the Rosses than she was of God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the meaning that the death of John Ross held for Duke. How does Duke feel toward Ethel Ross at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Duke's behavior as a child TV star living with the Rosses and her behavior as an adult.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death throughout Duke's book. What evidence does Duke give that death is an important element throughout her life?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)