|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what did a woman in the supermarket say to Duke in 1979, which led her to lose forty pounds?
2. What was the title of Helen Keller's autobiography that John Ross made Duke read parts of?
3. What commercial was Joey Trent, the other child the Rosses coached, famous for?
4. What television show was Duke guest-starring in when she was called to Sid Sheinberg's office?
5. What kind of accent did Duke have that the Rosses wanted to change?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the run of The Miracle Worker on Broadway, what one part of the temper tantrums in Act 2 did Duke find the most horrible to deal with?
2. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
3. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
4. How was it that Duke did not see the movies she appeared in until many years later?
5. How did Duke act at Annie Bancraft's final performance in The Miracle Worker?
6. What sort of lies would the Rosses make up in order to get acting work for Duke?
7. Why was the last day of shooting of The Miracle Worker something Duke had long been dreading?
8. What did the Rosses do for Duke if she even seemed to be getting sick?
9. What did Duke find herself praying for in Chapter 6?
10. How was it that, as detailed in Chapter 5, Duke was more afraid of the Rosses than she was of God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the first half of the book, Duke tells of the horrible ways the Rosses treated her. Much of the writing exhibits a tone of bitterness and anger, while at the same time there is an aura of forgiveness. Examine Duke's tone in her writing style when discussing how the Rosses treated her.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the many ways Duke uses the word "miracle" as a theme throughout her book. What is miraculous about her life? Why is that particular word such an important one to Duke?
Essay Topic 3
When Ethel Ross's mother died, Duke was devastated. How did "Gramma" have a direct effect upon Duke's relationship with the Rosses? How did her death become the impetus for a break between Duke and the Rosses?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)