|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Rosses have a doctor give Duke a shot of whenever she was ill in Chapter 11?
2. What writer did Duke have a crush on in Chapter 8?
3. By what name does Duke refer to the Rosses in Chapter 12?
4. Why did the Rosses let Duke leave the apartment on her own to begin filming in Chapter 12?
5. What was Duke's father's main problem in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what was one of the worst stage experiences Duke ever had?
2. What job did Duke have to do as a child that involved going to a bar?
3. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
4. Why would Shirley Bernstein get nervous when asking Duke four questions?
5. How did Duke's mother use the city bus as a form of recreation?
6. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
7. What was Duke most anxious about, causing her to go into psychotherapy for years?
8. In Chapter 3, how did Duke use her dog, Skippy, to help her cry on New Year's Eve?
9. Why was the last day of shooting of The Miracle Worker something Duke had long been dreading?
10. Why did John Ross change his name from John Valentine Rossi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Duke and John Astin. What did Duke realize in the end that she found most attractive about Astin? What was the chemistry between the two?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Duke's mother's attitudes toward her home, her children and her husband. How was her mother a driving force in shaping Duke's attitudes toward life?
Essay Topic 3
Duke married assistant director Harry Falk and escaped the grips of the Rosses at last. Explore the relationship between Duke and Harry Falk. Why did she marry this particular man? What was the trajectory of their relationship?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)