|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Duke have an urge to punch an old lady in Chapter 30?
(a) She spilled her tea on Duke.
(b) She did not recognize Duke and John Astin.
(c) She sided with John Astin against ear-piercing.
(d) The woman was eavesdropping.
2. Where did Duke and Harry Falk go to honeymoon?
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
3. What happened to disrupt Duke's and her husband's first day driving to work together in Chapter 18?
(a) Duke was late getting dressed.
(b) They were in a car accident.
(c) The car broke down.
(d) Coffee spilled on Harry Falk's clothing.
4. What happened to Duke in Chapter 31 while singing the words to a song she did not know?
(a) She had an out-of-body experience.
(b) She was admitted to a pyschiatric hospital again.
(c) She slipped in the shower.
(d) Her singing had been recorded.
5. What did Duke do for Gene Kirkland in Chapter 22?
(a) Co-signed a car lease.
(b) Found him a job.
(c) Bought him a television.
(d) Married him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Doheny Towers?
2. What was Harry Falk hiding from Duke in Los Angeles?
3. What reputation did Duke have with the people at Universal Studios after "My Sweet Charlie" was made in Port Bolivar?
4. What did Duke's managers, Irwin and Stich, do in Chapter 30?
5. Where did Duke and the other stars of Valley of the Dolls promote the film?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
2. How believable is Duke's story of her relationship with Frank Sinatra?
3. What do you think took Duke so long to realize that her husband, Harry Falk, was seeing another woman in California?
4. Why was Duke's so-called formal education an embarrassment to her?
5. Why, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, did Duke become so hysterical, even losing some control over herself?
6. How did Judy Garland react when she was fired from The Valley of the Dolls?
7. How did Duke feel when she heard that John Ross had died?
8. Why might Duke have been so uncomfortable with Joanna Barnes, Harry Falk's friend?
9. What helped cause Duke to have her first major manic episode?
10. While Astin and Duke were touring during summer stock in Chapter 30, what was one of the worst parts of it?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)