|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Duke have an urge to punch an old lady in Chapter 30?
(a) She spilled her tea on Duke.
(b) She did not recognize Duke and John Astin.
(c) She sided with John Astin against ear-piercing.
(d) The woman was eavesdropping.
2. What emotionally significant occurrence happened for Duke in the summer of 1963?
(a) John Ross was in a hospital.
(b) Gramma Howe died.
(c) Her father died.
(d) She attempted suicide.
3. Who did Duke end up living with for weeks in Los Angeles, in Chapter 22?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Harry Falk.
(c) Frank Sinatra.
(d) Sandy Smith.
4. What did Duke want to do with the Emmy she won in 1970?
(a) Give it to Al Freeman, jr.
(b) Give it back.
(c) Donate it to charity.
(d) Encase it in glass.
5. What happened to Duke right after The Patty Duke Show series ended in Chapter 19?
(a) She went into a major depression.
(b) She became catatonic.
(c) She got pregnant.
(d) She enrolled in an acting school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Duke rejected for a role in "Monday After the Miracle"?
2. Why did the Rosses begin to send Mr. Duke money every month?
3. What was Harry Falk hiding from Duke in Los Angeles?
4. How old was Desi Arnaz, Jr. when Duke met him?
5. Where did the Rosses take a vacation with Duke, bringing along Harry Falk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Duke have been so uncomfortable with Joanna Barnes, Harry Falk's friend?
2. What made Duke's suicide attempt in Chapter 23 more serious that her previous tries?
3. How did Duke feel when she heard that John Ross had died?
4. How did Duke compensate, in school, for being one of the shortest students there?
5. What do you think took Duke so long to realize that her husband, Harry Falk, was seeing another woman in California?
6. How did Duke decide to change her appearance once she became attracted to Harry Falk?
7. Why did Duke have people, especially her manager, so concerned about her after her acceptance of the Emmy Award for "My Sweet Charlie"?
8. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
9. Why, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, did Duke become so hysterical, even losing some control over herself?
10. While the children were very bothersome to Duke, John Astin seemed to have no trouble with them. Why was this?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)