|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Duke want to do with the Emmy she won in 1970?
(a) Give it back.
(b) Give it to Al Freeman, jr.
(c) Encase it in glass.
(d) Donate it to charity.
2. What did Harry Falk promise Duke about Mount Sinai hospital when he wanted her to go there?
(a) Her mother was also there.
(b) It was just like a regular hospital.
(c) She would be fine in a week.
(d) He would be in there with her.
3. Who sent Duke flowers with a note that Harry Falk found in Chapter 21?
(a) Frank Sinatra, Jr.
(b) John Astin.
(c) Sandy Smith.
(d) Lucky Lewis.
4. What was the gist of Duke's letter to Ethel Ross that her new manager told her not to send?
(a) She wanted to bury the hatchet.
(b) She told Ethel Ross off, fiercely.
(c) She intended to sue her.
(d) She wanted to send the woman money.
5. Who begged Duke to check herself into Westwood Psychiatric Hospital again in Chapter 25?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Ethel Ross.
(c) Her manager.
(d) John Astin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What film, after The Miracle Worker, did Duke make with director Fred Coe?
2. Where did Duke get her first kiss?
3. Where did Duke and Harry Falk go to honeymoon?
4. Why did John Ross go to Newark, New Jersey in Chapter 15?
5. What does Duke think of her in-laws (John Astin's parents)?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, when Bobby Kennedy was shot, did Duke become so hysterical, even losing some control over herself?
2. Why did Duke decide to adopt John Astin's children?
3. What caused Duke to suddenly take up smoking and swearing?
4. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
5. Why did Duke have people, especially her manager, so concerned about her after her acceptance of the Emmy Award for "My Sweet Charlie"?
6. How did Judy Garland react when she was fired from The Valley of the Dolls?
7. While the children were very bothersome to Duke, John Astin seemed to have no trouble with them. Why was this?
8. According to Duke in Chapter 19, what is anorexia?
9. What do you think took Duke so long to realize that her husband, Harry Falk, was seeing another woman in California?
10. How did Duke feel when she heard that John Ross had died?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)