|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what did a woman in the supermarket say to Duke in 1979, which led her to lose forty pounds?
(a) She called her too fat for the aisles.
(b) She asked when Duke's baby was due.
(c) She told Duke she could not see past her.
(d) She asked if Duke needed help walking.
2. What did Duke do to her understudy on a matinee day in Chapter 10?
(a) Ripped her clothes off.
(b) Let her go on.
(c) Made her sick.
(d) Tripped her onstage.
3. What did Duke get to say to Annie during The MIracle Worker play, without the audience knowing it was her speaking?
(a) Please, in a whisper.
(b) Ma-ma, the voice of a doll.
(c) Help me.
4. Who did Duke get to meet through her work with the Muscular Dystrophy Association in Chapter 14?
(a) Lyndon Johnson.
(b) Helen Keller.
(c) President Kennedy.
(d) Roman Polanski.
5. What, cinematically, was there a lack of in The Miracle Worker film?
(c) Color film.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the next stage role the Rosses found for Duke after The Miracle Worker?
2. What happened to Duke's mother's hand when the family lived on East 31st Street?
3. Who did Duke appear with in the television production of "One Red Rose for Christmas"?
4. What was John Ross's attitude towards Duke when he drank too much in Chapter 13?
5. What was young Billy McNally doing when the Rosses discovered him?
Short Essay Questions
1. While onstage during The Miracle Worker in Chapter 9, what did actor Thorin Thatcher do when he forgot his lines?
2. When filming for The Miracle Worker movie began, why was Duke thrilled to be able to travel to the set on her own?
3. What job did Duke have to do as a child that involved going to a bar?
4. How was it that, as detailed in Chapter 5, Duke was more afraid of the Rosses than she was of God?
5. What was Duke most anxious about, causing her to go into psychotherapy for years?
6. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
7. Why did John Ross change his name from John Valentine Rossi?
8. Why did Duke have to appear before the House Special Subcommittee on Legislative Oversight in 1959?
9. Why did Duke walk off the set of the Matt Lincoln, M.D. show in 1970?
10. How was the Ross's dog, Bambi, treated?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)