|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lived at 316 East 31st Street?
(a) The Ross's.
(b) Duke's family.
(c) John Astin.
(d) Duke's grandfather.
2. What event took place for Duke on March 7, 1960?
(a) Duke was given star billing on the theater's marquee.
(b) The Booth Theater closed down.
(c) Duke was fired from The Miracle Worker.
(d) The Rosses left Duke as managers.
3. What was John Ross's attitude towards Duke when he drank too much in Chapter 13?
(c) Inappropriately sexual.
(d) Extemely funny.
4. Where did Duke's father take her on Sundays after church?
(a) To a playground.
(c) To Grandpa's bar.
(d) To the bakery.
5. In Chapter 11, what did a woman in the supermarket say to Duke in 1979, which led her to lose forty pounds?
(a) She told Duke she could not see past her.
(b) She asked when Duke's baby was due.
(c) She asked if Duke needed help walking.
(d) She called her too fat for the aisles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Duke's hair when she got too old to wear braids?
2. What role-playing game did Duke play with her childhood friend, Margie?
3. What, cinematically, was there a lack of in The Miracle Worker film?
4. Who did the Rosses hope to create a duplicate of, by way of Duke?
5. In Chapter 4, it is noted that Mrs. Duke lived in a basement apartment in:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Duke have to appear before the House Special Subcommittee on Legislative Oversight in 1959?
2. How did John Ross make Duke prepare for The Miracle Worker audition?
3. How did Duke get along with Judy Garland?
4. What got Duke interested in being involved with union work?
5. According to Duke in Chapter 19, what is anorexia?
6. What do you think took Duke so long to realize that her husband, Harry Falk, was seeing another woman in California?
7. How did the Rosses make a good working couple, as recognized by Duke in Chapter 31?
8. How believable is Duke's story of her relationship with Frank Sinatra?
9. When did Duke realize that the Rosses had attempted to molest her?
10. What did Duke find herself praying for in Chapter 6?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)