|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Duke have nightmares about in Chapter 6?
(a) LIving with the Rosses.
(b) Working with Ray.
(c) Making commercials.
(d) Losing her mother.
2. Who did Duke have her most memorable meeting with during the run of The Miracle Worker?
(a) Elizabeth Taylor.
(b) Cary Grant.
(c) Helen Keller.
(d) Katharine Cornell.
3. What was Duke's father's main problem in life?
(a) He wasn't very tall.
(b) He hadn't gone to high school.
(c) He had no skills.
(d) He was an alcoholic.
4. What kind of accent did Duke have that the Rosses wanted to change?
(a) New Yorkese.
5. When Duke introduced her then-husband, John Astin, to Sir Laurence Olivier, why couldn't Olivier shake hands?
(a) He feared germs.
(b) Astin disgusted him.
(c) He had arthritis.
(d) He had a broken arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What television show was Duke guest-starring in when she was called to Sid Sheinberg's office?
2. Why did Duke sometimes purposely make mistakes during rehearsals of The Miracle Worker?
3. What happened to Duke's family's Christmas tree nearly every year when she was a child?
4. How many children did Ethel and John Ross have of their own?
5. Why did the Rosses have Stanley Praeger fired in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Shirley Bernstein get nervous when asking Duke four questions?
2. What were some of the things about her parts in the play, The Miracle Worker, that Duke liked best?
3. Why did Duke feel so close to Jean Byron, the actress who played Duke's mother on The Patty Duke Show?
4. Where did Duke's passion for acting begin?
5. How was it that Duke did not see the movies she appeared in until many years later?
6. When did Duke realize that the Rosses had attempted to molest her?
7. How did the Rosses ease The Miracle Worker's producers' fears that Duke would grow tall too quickly to fit into the role for long?
8. Why was the last day of shooting of The Miracle Worker something Duke had long been dreading?
9. How did Duke's mother use the city bus as a form of recreation?
10. During the run of The Miracle Worker on Broadway, what one part of the temper tantrums in Act 2 did Duke find the most horrible to deal with?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)