|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Liza Minnelli lend to Duke during her Academy Awards rehearsal?
(a) A wrap.
2. Why did Irwin try to convince Duke in Chapter 30 that John Astin was a problem in her life?
(a) Irwin had a crush on Duke.
(b) Because Astin was a big problem for Duke.
(c) Astin was questioning Irwin's financial prowess.
(d) Irwin was jealous that he did not have Astin's business, too.
3. What arrangements did Duke forget to make for the morning of her wedding in Chapter 18?
(a) A reception.
(b) To be driven to the ceremony.
(c) Flowers for the ceremony.
(d) Music for the reception.
4. What precipitated Duke's last argument with the Rosses, leading her to walk out on them?
(a) Duke had purchased a plane ticket.
(b) They separated her from Harry Falk.
(c) Ethel brought up her husband's suicide attempt.
(d) They locked away her clothing.
5. In 1974, what did John Astin's children from his first marriage want Duke to do?
(a) Leave their father.
(b) Quit acting.
(c) Stay home more.
(d) Adopt them.
6. What was the gist of Duke's letter to Ethel Ross that her new manager told her not to send?
(a) She told Ethel Ross off, fiercely.
(b) She wanted to bury the hatchet.
(c) She intended to sue her.
(d) She wanted to send the woman money.
7. What emotionally significant occurrence happened for Duke in the summer of 1963?
(a) Gramma Howe died.
(b) John Ross was in a hospital.
(c) She attempted suicide.
(d) Her father died.
8. What did Duke call Ethel Ross's mother?
(a) Mrs. Ross.
(c) Ethel Senior.
(d) Gramma Howe.
9. What reputation did Duke have with the people at Universal Studios after "My Sweet Charlie" was made in Port Bolivar?
(a) A doper.
(d) Nasty to everyone.
10. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
(a) The man was wealthy.
(b) Perhaps because she was pregnant.
(c) She was in love.
(d) To spite John Astin.
11. Who was the character, Neely, from The Valley of the Dolls based upon?
(a) Liza Minnelli.
(b) Sharon Tate.
(c) Patty Duke.
(d) Judy Garland.
12. What did Harry Falk promise Duke about Mount Sinai hospital when he wanted her to go there?
(a) Her mother was also there.
(b) She would be fine in a week.
(c) He would be in there with her.
(d) It was just like a regular hospital.
13. What did Duke do for Gene Kirkland in Chapter 22?
(a) Found him a job.
(b) Co-signed a car lease.
(c) Married him.
(d) Bought him a television.
14. What book was Harry Falk reading on Fire Island in Chapter 19?
(a) To Sir With Love.
(c) In Cold Blood.
(d) Gone With the Wind.
15. Why did Duke dislike her television characters' clothing?
(a) They were too tight.
(b) They were not sophisticated.
(c) They never fit right.
(d) They were very colorful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Duke and John Astin begin their five-year stint as touring stage actors?
2. Where is Port Bolivar, the place where "My Sweet Charlie" was filmed?
3. What happened on February 2, 1963, in Chapter 15?
4. What did Duke discover about herself when she brought her mother into town to attend the Emmy Awards in Chapter 25?
5. What was Harry Falk hiding from Duke in Los Angeles?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)