|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book was Harry Falk reading on Fire Island in Chapter 19?
(b) To Sir With Love.
(c) In Cold Blood.
(d) Gone With the Wind.
2. What are the Doheny Towers?
(a) The TV studio in Los Angeles.
(b) Duke's mother's apartment house.
(c) The place Harry Falk lived in on Fire Island.
(d) The apartment building Duke moved into.
3. What happened to Duke in Chapter 31 while singing the words to a song she did not know?
(a) She slipped in the shower.
(b) Her singing had been recorded.
(c) She was admitted to a pyschiatric hospital again.
(d) She had an out-of-body experience.
4. Where did Duke and the other stars of Valley of the Dolls promote the film?
(a) In Hollywood.
(b) At Macy's department store.
(c) On a cruise ship.
(d) In a New York hotel.
5. Who was Joanna Barnes?
(a) An artist.
(b) An art gallery dealer.
(c) A real estate agent.
(d) A friend of Harry Falk.
6. What was Duke tutored in to make the movie musical "Billie" in 1964?
(b) Track and field.
(d) Playing guitar.
7. What was The Westwood?
(a) An apartment building.
(b) A movie studio.
(c) A funeral home.
(d) A psychiatric hospital.
8. Who called Duke one night to tell her John Ross had died?
(a) Arthur Penn.
(b) Joey Trent.
(c) Patricia Neal.
(d) Harry Falk.
9. What is one of the first things Duke did after marrying Harry Falk?
(a) Have an anxiety attack.
(b) Go for a drink in her father's neighborhood bar.
(c) She went to work.
(d) Collect her savings bond money.
10. Where did Duke get her first kiss?
(a) In the Ross's bathroom.
(b) In the closet at school.
(c) On a bus with a young actor.
(d) On the set of her show.
11. What reputation did Duke have with the people at Universal Studios after "My Sweet Charlie" was made in Port Bolivar?
(a) Nasty to everyone.
(d) A doper.
12. What emotionally significant occurrence happened for Duke in the summer of 1963?
(a) John Ross was in a hospital.
(b) Gramma Howe died.
(c) Her father died.
(d) She attempted suicide.
13. Why did Duke and John Astin begin their five-year stint as touring stage actors?
(a) They wanted to travel.
(b) They needed the money.
(c) They were both too old for film.
(d) They loved the theater so much.
14. Why did Duke marry Michael Tell?
(a) Perhaps because she was pregnant.
(b) She was in love.
(c) The man was wealthy.
(d) To spite John Astin.
15. What was Harry Falk hiding from Duke in Los Angeles?
(a) Another acting role.
(b) Her money from the Rosses.
(c) Commitment papers.
(d) Another woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was found in Duke's closet in Port Bolivar?
2. In Chapter 29, what would John Astin's teen son, David, do sometimes at two in the morning?
3. What did the inside of Harry Falk's coffee cup say in Chapter 18?
4. Where did Duke spend her last two years of elementary school?
5. What did Duke discover about herself when she brought her mother into town to attend the Emmy Awards in Chapter 25?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)