|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the title of Helen Keller's autobiography that John Ross made Duke read parts of?
(a) The Story of My Life.
(b) The Land of Little Rain.
(c) In the Seven Woods.
(d) Helen Keller's Life.
2. What habit did Duke develop to cover the sound of her screams at night in Chapter 4?
(a) Jumping out of bed.
(b) Washing her face.
(d) Clearing her throat.
3. What show had Eddie Hodges, the boy she competed with on The $64,000 Challenge, been in?
(a) Annie Get Your Gun.
(b) Fiddler on the Roof.
(c) The Music Man.
(d) Bye Bye Birdie.
4. What did the Rosses prep Duke for, with John Ross quizzing her on every possible topic or approach?
(a) Acting roles.
(b) Academic tests.
(c) Media interviews.
5. What is the title of the science fiction film that Duke was in from 1959?
(a) They Came From Outer Space.
(b) The Blob.
(c) The 4-D Man.
(d) The Atomic Kid.
6. What was John Ross's real last name?
7. Why did the Rosses let Duke leave the apartment on her own to begin filming in Chapter 12?
(a) They had someone follow Duke.
(b) They felt she was independent enough.
(c) They were ready to let her branch off on her own.
(d) They did not want to get up that early.
8. When Duke introduced her then-husband, John Astin, to Sir Laurence Olivier, why couldn't Olivier shake hands?
(a) He feared germs.
(b) He had a broken arm.
(c) Astin disgusted him.
(d) He had arthritis.
9. What did the Rosses have a doctor give Duke a shot of whenever she was ill in Chapter 11?
(a) Allergy medicine.
10. How many children did Ethel and John Ross have of their own?
11. Why did Duke's mother spend time on the roof of their building?
(a) To smoke cigarettes.
(b) To see what her kids were doing in the streets.
(c) She considered jumping.
(d) To make sure their ceiling did not leak.
12. What night of the year was it when Duke's sister went out with a man and her mother attacked herself?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) The Fourth of July.
(c) Easter Sunday.
(d) New Year's Eve.
13. What was Duke's father's main problem in life?
(a) He had no skills.
(b) He hadn't gone to high school.
(c) He was an alcoholic.
(d) He wasn't very tall.
14. Where did Duke's brother Ray have to fly home from to identify their father's body?
15. When Duke was eight-years-old, Ethel Ross made her wear clothing for a child of what age?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of television show was The $64,000 Challenge?
2. What word did the Rosses use to tell Duke about the way she looked?
3. Which scene in the movie was the most exhausting for everyone to film?
4. What did Duke do to her understudy on a matinee day in Chapter 10?
5. What happened to Duke's hair when she got too old to wear braids?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)