|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Duke's mother's hand when the family lived on East 31st Street?
(a) It got stuck in the washing machine.
(b) She sprained it hitting Patty.
(c) Scroungy bit it.
(d) It got caught in the door.
2. Where did Duke's father take her on Sundays after church?
(b) To the bakery.
(c) To a playground.
(d) To Grandpa's bar.
3. Why did Duke sometimes purposely make mistakes during rehearsals of The Miracle Worker?
(a) To get Arthur Penn to talk to her.
(b) She was very tired.
(c) She felt underpaid.
(d) To disturb the Rosses.
4. Where did the Rosses and Duke go on their one vacation during The Miracle Worker's run?
(a) Puerto Rico.
(d) The Virgin Islands.
5. Who did the Rosses hope to create a duplicate of, by way of Duke?
(a) Grace Kelly.
(b) Lana Turner.
(c) Audrey Hepburn.
(d) Marilyn Monroe.
6. Why did the Rosses have Stanley Praeger fired in Chapter 14?
(a) He abused Duke.
(b) He was always late to the set.
(c) He was not a good director.
(d) He was getting too close to Duke.
7. What has Duke never been able to deal with successfully?
(a) The loss of her father.
(b) Drinking alcohol.
(c) Her fame.
(d) Taking drugs.
8. What is the title of the science fiction film that Duke was in from 1959?
(a) The Blob.
(b) They Came From Outer Space.
(c) The Atomic Kid.
(d) The 4-D Man.
9. What habit did Duke develop to cover the sound of her screams at night in Chapter 4?
(b) Washing her face.
(c) Clearing her throat.
(d) Jumping out of bed.
10. What was John Ross's real last name?
11. Who did Duke get to meet through her work with the Muscular Dystrophy Association in Chapter 14?
(a) Lyndon Johnson.
(b) President Kennedy.
(c) Roman Polanski.
(d) Helen Keller.
12. What happened to Duke's hair when she got too old to wear braids?
(a) The Rosses gave her a body wave.
(b) She wore it down.
(c) She dyed it blond.
(d) The Rosses cut it.
13. Who stood in the back of the theater to watch Duke perform in The Miracle Worker without her finding out about it until much later?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Sir Laurence Olivier.
(c) Her father.
(d) John Astin.
14. What religion did Ethel Ross tell Duke she now was, in Chapter 9?
(b) Christian Scientist.
15. Why did Duke go through basic training at Fort Benning, Georgia, in 1985?
(a) To prepare for a TV movie.
(b) Her son was in the army.
(c) She had joined the army.
(d) She was directing a film.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Duke associate the smells of Old Spice and alcohol with?
2. What television show was Duke guest-starring in when she was called to Sid Sheinberg's office?
3. In Chapter 7, what did Shirley Bernstein suggest that Duke read in preparation for The $64,000 Challenge?
4. In Chapter 4, it is noted that Mrs. Duke lived in a basement apartment in:
5. What night of the year was it when Duke's sister went out with a man and her mother attacked herself?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)