|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bill Schallert very often pretend to be around Duke?
(a) A monkey.
(b) Her father.
(c) A woman.
(d) Not very bright.
2. Why did the Rosses have Stanley Praeger fired in Chapter 14?
(a) He abused Duke.
(b) He was getting too close to Duke.
(c) He was not a good director.
(d) He was always late to the set.
3. Who was Bambi?
(a) Mrs. Duke's pet name for her daughter.
(b) The Ross's dog.
(c) A pet deer of Duke's.
(d) Duke's favorite doll.
4. For which play did rehearsals begin in August of 1959?
(a) The Glass Menagerie.
(b) The Miracle Worker.
(c) Our Town.
(d) The Bad Seed.
5. What happened to Duke just before rehearsals as the result of an accident in Chapter 9?
(a) She cut her forehead.
(b) She broke her arm.
(c) She broker her leg.
(d) She had a high fever.
6. What kind of accent did Duke have that the Rosses wanted to change?
(b) New Yorkese.
7. What commercial was Joey Trent, the other child the Rosses coached, famous for?
(b) Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
(d) Coca Cola.
8. What was the title of Helen Keller's autobiography that John Ross made Duke read parts of?
(a) In the Seven Woods.
(b) Helen Keller's Life.
(c) The Story of My Life.
(d) The Land of Little Rain.
9. Who was Sidney Sheldon?
(a) He was Duke's real father.
(b) He wrote the pilot for the Patty Duke Show.
(c) He was Duke's date at the Oscars.
(d) He played Duke's boyfriend on her TV show.
10. What neighborhood did Duke's family live in when she was a child?
(a) Hell's Kitchen.
(b) Sheepshead Bay.
(c) Kips Bay.
(d) Brooklyn Heights.
11. With what illness was Duke diagnosed in 1982?
(b) Social anxiety.
12. In Chapter 7, what did Shirley Bernstein suggest that Duke read in preparation for The $64,000 Challenge?
(a) Rolling Stone Magazine.
(b) The Bible.
(d) The New York Times.
13. When Duke introduced her then-husband, John Astin, to Sir Laurence Olivier, why couldn't Olivier shake hands?
(a) He feared germs.
(b) He had a broken arm.
(c) He had arthritis.
(d) Astin disgusted him.
14. What writer did Duke have a crush on in Chapter 8?
(a) Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
(b) John Mortimer.
(c) Arthur Penn.
(d) Walter Miller.
15. What did Duke have to do to Caswell Fairweather on stage in The Miracle Worker?
(a) Kiss him.
(b) Give him hugs.
(c) Push him off stage.
(d) Beat up on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Duke have nightmares about in Chapter 6?
2. What happened to Duke's mother's hand when the family lived on East 31st Street?
3. In Chapter 11, what did a woman in the supermarket say to Duke in 1979, which led her to lose forty pounds?
4. Who lived in an old mansion on 74th Street in Manhattan?
5. What was the main reason that the Rosses were willing to let Duke leave The Miracle Worker play?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)