|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of Duke's biggest career disappointments was not being cast in which film?
(a) Sleeping Beauty.
(b) The Sound of Music.
(d) The Bad Seed.
2. What has Duke descended from a very long line of?
(b) Truck drivers.
(d) Drug addicts.
3. Why did Duke go through basic training at Fort Benning, Georgia, in 1985?
(a) She had joined the army.
(b) To prepare for a TV movie.
(c) Her son was in the army.
(d) She was directing a film.
4. As told in Chapter 10, what did Duke have to hide from other people, even after knowing how well The Miracle Worker was doing?
(a) The money she was making.
(b) Her age.
(c) Her two-inch heels.
(d) Her pride in herself.
5. What became a major concern and source of anxiety to Duke because of something Ethel Ross said when she changed Duke's name?
(a) Braiding hair.
6. Who lived in an old mansion on 74th Street in Manhattan?
(a) The Rosses.
(b) Ben Gazzara.
(c) Huntz Hall.
(d) Ray Duke.
7. How many children did Ethel and John Ross have of their own?
8. What commercial was Joey Trent, the other child the Rosses coached, famous for?
(a) Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
(c) Coca Cola.
9. What had Ethel Ross once done for a living?
(a) She waited tables.
(b) She was an actress.
(c) She was a dancer.
(d) She sang.
10. Why did Duke's mother spend time on the roof of their building?
(a) She considered jumping.
(b) To make sure their ceiling did not leak.
(c) To smoke cigarettes.
(d) To see what her kids were doing in the streets.
11. In Chapter 4, it is noted that Mrs. Duke lived in a basement apartment in:
(a) The Upper West Side.
(c) The Bronx.
12. What did Duke have nightmares about in Chapter 6?
(a) Working with Ray.
(b) LIving with the Rosses.
(c) Making commercials.
(d) Losing her mother.
13. What did the Rosses prep Duke for, with John Ross quizzing her on every possible topic or approach?
(a) Media interviews.
(c) Acting roles.
(d) Academic tests.
14. Who was Sidney Sheldon?
(a) He was Duke's date at the Oscars.
(b) He was Duke's real father.
(c) He played Duke's boyfriend on her TV show.
(d) He wrote the pilot for the Patty Duke Show.
15. Who was Bambi?
(a) A pet deer of Duke's.
(b) The Ross's dog.
(c) Mrs. Duke's pet name for her daughter.
(d) Duke's favorite doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Duke associate the smells of Old Spice and alcohol with?
2. In which play did Duke win a major role in Chapter 8?
3. What was the main reason that the Rosses were willing to let Duke leave The Miracle Worker play?
4. What did Bill Schallert very often pretend to be around Duke?
5. Which of her very first acting jobs does Duke remember best?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)