|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, it is noted that Mrs. Duke lived in a basement apartment in:
(a) The Upper West Side.
(b) The Bronx.
2. Who stood in the back of the theater to watch Duke perform in The Miracle Worker without her finding out about it until much later?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) John Astin.
(d) Sir Laurence Olivier.
3. With what illness was Duke diagnosed in 1982?
(a) Social anxiety.
4. What did Duke throw at Sid Sheinberg, president of MCA, in 1970?
(a) Her Emmy award.
(b) Paper clips.
(c) Her lunch.
(d) His Mickey Mouse clock.
5. What did Bill Schallert very often pretend to be around Duke?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A woman.
(c) Not very bright.
(d) Her father.
6. Why was The Patty Duke Show so exciting for Duke to do?
(a) She had some freedom at last.
(b) She was in love with her boyfriend co-star.
(c) She simply loved television acting.
(d) The TV role was challenging for her to do.
7. What was the title of Helen Keller's autobiography that John Ross made Duke read parts of?
(a) The Story of My Life.
(b) In the Seven Woods.
(c) The Land of Little Rain.
(d) Helen Keller's Life.
8. Why did Duke's mother spend time on the roof of their building?
(a) She considered jumping.
(b) To make sure their ceiling did not leak.
(c) To smoke cigarettes.
(d) To see what her kids were doing in the streets.
9. For which play did rehearsals begin in August of 1959?
(a) The Bad Seed.
(b) The Miracle Worker.
(c) The Glass Menagerie.
(d) Our Town.
10. What habit did Duke develop to cover the sound of her screams at night in Chapter 4?
(a) Clearing her throat.
(b) Washing her face.
(d) Jumping out of bed.
11. Why did the Rosses have Stanley Praeger fired in Chapter 14?
(a) He was not a good director.
(b) He was always late to the set.
(c) He abused Duke.
(d) He was getting too close to Duke.
12. What did Duke have nightmares about in Chapter 6?
(a) Losing her mother.
(b) Working with Ray.
(c) Making commercials.
(d) LIving with the Rosses.
13. What commercial was Joey Trent, the other child the Rosses coached, famous for?
(a) Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
(c) Coca Cola.
14. In which play did Duke win a major role in Chapter 8?
(a) The Bad Seed.
(c) The Music Man.
(d) The Miracle Worker.
15. What did the Rosses have a doctor give Duke a shot of whenever she was ill in Chapter 11?
(b) Allergy medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Duke have to walk to a bar to get as a child?
2. What television show was Duke guest-starring in when she was called to Sid Sheinberg's office?
3. In which year did Duke make headlines in the New York Times?
4. What became a major concern and source of anxiety to Duke because of something Ethel Ross said when she changed Duke's name?
5. Who did Duke appear with in the television production of "One Red Rose for Christmas"?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)