|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What neighborhood did Duke's family live in when she was a child?
(a) Hell's Kitchen.
(b) Sheepshead Bay.
(c) Kips Bay.
(d) Brooklyn Heights.
2. Why did Duke's mother spend time on the roof of their building?
(a) To smoke cigarettes.
(b) To make sure their ceiling did not leak.
(c) To see what her kids were doing in the streets.
(d) She considered jumping.
3. Who did the Rosses hope to create a duplicate of, by way of Duke?
(a) Marilyn Monroe.
(b) Grace Kelly.
(c) Lana Turner.
(d) Audrey Hepburn.
4. What did Duke have to walk to a bar to get as a child?
(a) Money she would beg for from strangers.
(c) A hot meal for home.
(d) Money from her father.
5. Why did Duke sometimes purposely make mistakes during rehearsals of The Miracle Worker?
(a) To get Arthur Penn to talk to her.
(b) To disturb the Rosses.
(c) She felt underpaid.
(d) She was very tired.
6. What happened to Duke's mother's hand when the family lived on East 31st Street?
(a) It got caught in the door.
(b) It got stuck in the washing machine.
(c) She sprained it hitting Patty.
(d) Scroungy bit it.
7. Where did the Rosses and Duke go on their one vacation during The Miracle Worker's run?
(a) The Virgin Islands.
(d) Puerto Rico.
8. In Chapter 4, it is noted that Mrs. Duke lived in a basement apartment in:
(b) The Bronx.
(c) The Upper West Side.
9. Who lived in an old mansion on 74th Street in Manhattan?
(a) Ray Duke.
(b) Ben Gazzara.
(c) The Rosses.
(d) Huntz Hall.
10. What habit did Duke develop to cover the sound of her screams at night in Chapter 4?
(a) Clearing her throat.
(c) Jumping out of bed.
(d) Washing her face.
11. Why did the Rosses let Duke leave the apartment on her own to begin filming in Chapter 12?
(a) They had someone follow Duke.
(b) They did not want to get up that early.
(c) They felt she was independent enough.
(d) They were ready to let her branch off on her own.
12. What role-playing game did Duke play with her childhood friend, Margie?
(a) Being nuns.
(c) Acting as parents.
13. What had Ethel Ross once done for a living?
(a) She was a dancer.
(b) She sang.
(c) She waited tables.
(d) She was an actress.
14. What was the Ross's standard positive phrase to Duke, as told in Chapter 13?
(a) "You're the best."
(b) "Love ya!"
(c) "Great day!"
(d) "Good girl!"
15. What is the title of the science fiction film that Duke was in from 1959?
(a) The Blob.
(b) The Atomic Kid.
(c) They Came From Outer Space.
(d) The 4-D Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion did Ethel Ross tell Duke she now was, in Chapter 9?
2. As told in Chapter 10, what did Duke have to hide from other people, even after knowing how well The Miracle Worker was doing?
3. What was Duke's father's main problem in life?
4. What did the Rosses have Duke do from her very first audition?
5. With what illness was Duke diagnosed in 1982?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)