|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Bambi?
(a) Mrs. Duke's pet name for her daughter.
(b) A pet deer of Duke's.
(c) Duke's favorite doll.
(d) The Ross's dog.
2. What was the Ross's standard positive phrase to Duke, as told in Chapter 13?
(a) "Good girl!"
(b) "You're the best."
(c) "Love ya!"
(d) "Great day!"
3. What had Ethel Ross once done for a living?
(a) She sang.
(b) She waited tables.
(c) She was an actress.
(d) She was a dancer.
4. What color was John Ross's hair when Duke met him?
5. In which year did Duke make headlines in the New York Times?
6. What writer did Duke have a crush on in Chapter 8?
(a) Walter Miller.
(b) Arthur Penn.
(c) John Mortimer.
(d) Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
7. With what illness was Duke diagnosed in 1982?
(c) Social anxiety.
8. What did the Rosses have a doctor give Duke a shot of whenever she was ill in Chapter 11?
(a) Allergy medicine.
9. What did Duke have to walk to a bar to get as a child?
(a) Money from her father.
(b) Money she would beg for from strangers.
(d) A hot meal for home.
10. What did the Rosses have Duke do from her very first audition?
(a) Serve cookies.
11. What was Duke's father's main problem in life?
(a) He had no skills.
(b) He wasn't very tall.
(c) He was an alcoholic.
(d) He hadn't gone to high school.
12. What show had Eddie Hodges, the boy she competed with on The $64,000 Challenge, been in?
(a) Bye Bye Birdie.
(b) Annie Get Your Gun.
(c) Fiddler on the Roof.
(d) The Music Man.
13. What was the title of Helen Keller's autobiography that John Ross made Duke read parts of?
(a) Helen Keller's Life.
(b) In the Seven Woods.
(c) The Land of Little Rain.
(d) The Story of My Life.
14. Who stood in the back of the theater to watch Duke perform in The Miracle Worker without her finding out about it until much later?
(a) Sir Laurence Olivier.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) John Astin.
15. Who did Duke appear with in the television production of "One Red Rose for Christmas"?
(a) Anne Bancroft.
(b) Helen Hayes.
(c) Julie Harris.
(d) Laurence Olivier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Duke get to meet through her work with the Muscular Dystrophy Association in Chapter 14?
2. Which of her very first acting jobs does Duke remember best?
3. Who lived in an old mansion on 74th Street in Manhattan?
4. How many children did Ethel and John Ross have of their own?
5. As told in Chapter 10, what did Duke have to hide from other people, even after knowing how well The Miracle Worker was doing?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)