|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which year did Duke make headlines in the New York Times?
2. Who lived at 316 East 31st Street?
(a) The Ross's.
(b) John Astin.
(c) Duke's family.
(d) Duke's grandfather.
3. What neighborhood did Duke's family live in when she was a child?
(a) Sheepshead Bay.
(b) Kips Bay.
(c) Hell's Kitchen.
(d) Brooklyn Heights.
4. What was Duke's father's main problem in life?
(a) He was an alcoholic.
(b) He hadn't gone to high school.
(c) He had no skills.
(d) He wasn't very tall.
5. What part on The Patty Duke Show did Jean Byron play?
(a) Duke's mother.
(b) Duke's best friend.
(c) She had no role; she was the producer.
(d) Duke's twin cousin.
6. What did Bill Schallert very often pretend to be around Duke?
(a) Not very bright.
(b) Her father.
(c) A woman.
(d) A monkey.
7. In Chapter 11, what did a woman in the supermarket say to Duke in 1979, which led her to lose forty pounds?
(a) She called her too fat for the aisles.
(b) She asked when Duke's baby was due.
(c) She told Duke she could not see past her.
(d) She asked if Duke needed help walking.
8. What type of television show was The $64,000 Challenge?
(a) A soap opera.
(b) A comedy.
(c) A quiz show.
(d) A variety show.
9. What was the title of Helen Keller's autobiography that John Ross made Duke read parts of?
(a) Helen Keller's Life.
(b) The Story of My Life.
(c) The Land of Little Rain.
(d) In the Seven Woods.
10. What did Duke have nightmares about in Chapter 6?
(a) LIving with the Rosses.
(b) Making commercials.
(c) Working with Ray.
(d) Losing her mother.
11. What was the Ross's standard positive phrase to Duke, as told in Chapter 13?
(a) "Great day!"
(b) "You're the best."
(c) "Love ya!"
(d) "Good girl!"
12. For which play did rehearsals begin in August of 1959?
(a) The Glass Menagerie.
(b) Our Town.
(c) The Miracle Worker.
(d) The Bad Seed.
13. On which bridge in Chapter 4 was Duke traveling in a taxi cab when she got out and ran away, scared?
(a) The Triborough Bridge.
(b) The George Washington Bridge.
(c) The 59th Street Bridge.
(d) The Brooklyn Bridge.
14. What habit did Duke develop to cover the sound of her screams at night in Chapter 4?
(a) Jumping out of bed.
(b) Clearing her throat.
(c) Washing her face.
15. Who was Bambi?
(a) A pet deer of Duke's.
(b) Mrs. Duke's pet name for her daughter.
(c) Duke's favorite doll.
(d) The Ross's dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Duke throw at Sid Sheinberg, president of MCA, in 1970?
2. What was John Ross's attitude towards Duke when he drank too much in Chapter 13?
3. What was Duke's real name, that the Rosses wanted to change?
4. What was the next stage role the Rosses found for Duke after The Miracle Worker?
5. Which scene in the movie was the most exhausting for everyone to film?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)