|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what did Shirley Bernstein suggest that Duke read in preparation for The $64,000 Challenge?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Rolling Stone Magazine.
2. In which play did Duke win a major role in Chapter 8?
(a) The Music Man.
(b) The Bad Seed.
(c) The Miracle Worker.
3. Who, in Chapter 9, did Duke hero-worship and become very close to?
(a) Annie Sullivan.
(b) Annie Bancroft.
(c) Patricia Neal.
(d) Torin Thatcher.
4. What kind of accent did Duke have that the Rosses wanted to change?
(a) New Yorkese.
5. Which summer stock play production did Duke fail to win a part in?
(a) The Bad Seed.
(b) Mary Poppins.
(c) Fiddler on the Roof.
6. By what name does Duke refer to the Rosses in Chapter 12?
(a) The Billy-the-Kid gang.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Adolf Hitler.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Jack the Ripper.
(d) Bonnie and Clyde.
7. Why did Duke's mother spend time on the roof of their building?
(a) She considered jumping.
(b) To make sure their ceiling did not leak.
(c) To smoke cigarettes.
(d) To see what her kids were doing in the streets.
8. What did Bill Schallert very often pretend to be around Duke?
(a) A monkey.
(b) Not very bright.
(c) A woman.
(d) Her father.
9. Who was the principal earner in the Ross household?
(a) Mrs. Duke.
(b) John Ross.
(c) Ethel Ross.
10. What show had Eddie Hodges, the boy she competed with on The $64,000 Challenge, been in?
(a) Annie Get Your Gun.
(b) Fiddler on the Roof.
(c) Bye Bye Birdie.
(d) The Music Man.
11. Why did the Rosses let Duke leave the apartment on her own to begin filming in Chapter 12?
(a) They felt she was independent enough.
(b) They were ready to let her branch off on her own.
(c) They did not want to get up that early.
(d) They had someone follow Duke.
12. With what illness was Duke diagnosed in 1982?
(b) Social anxiety.
13. When Duke was eight-years-old, Ethel Ross made her wear clothing for a child of what age?
14. What role-playing game did Duke play with her childhood friend, Margie?
(a) Acting as parents.
(c) Being nuns.
15. What happened to Duke's family's Christmas tree nearly every year when she was a child?
(a) Someone would steal it.
(b) Her father threw it out the window.
(c) Her mother tipped it over.
(d) It would burn down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the fictional name of Duke's boyfriend on The Patty Duke Show?
2. What was John Ross's attitude towards Duke when he drank too much in Chapter 13?
3. What neighborhood did Duke's family live in when she was a child?
4. What has Duke descended from a very long line of?
5. What word did the Rosses use to tell Duke about the way she looked?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)