|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter "The Rail," what is David called on to do during cheder?
2. Who tries to stop Nathan from telling David's parents about what David and Leo did earlier in the day?
3. How does David feel about Leo's freedom?
4. How do Leo and David avoid being seen by Bertha?
5. Who finds out what is going on between Leo and Esther and threatens to tell Bertha?
Essay Topic 1
Why is the story of Isaiah and the coal relevant do David? What does it mean for him? Why does it interest him so much?
Essay Topic 2
The author never answers the question of whether or not David is truly Albert's son. Do you think Albert is David's biological father? Provide evidence from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What reasons for marriage are presented in Call It Sleep? What impression of marriage does this give? Are those reasons for marriage still valid today? In other words, do people still marry for some of those same reasons? Why or why not?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)