|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
2. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
3. In Book I, why is Albert fired from his job?
4. Who is Mrs. Mink?
5. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book IV, Chapters 5-6, when David meets a group of boys outside, what are the boys doing?
2. Why doesn't David's plan for the milk dipper work?
3. What happens when David tries to kick the milk dipper?
4. What is Genya's reaction to Albert's foul mood when she arrives in New York?
5. What does David find on the roof of his own building after listening to the boys' story of the canary chase?
6. Why doesn't David run away when the men terrorize him and steal the milk?
7. What does David find relaxing about the family's apartment in the Lower East Side?
8. While outside, David finds a metal milk dipper. What does he hope to do with it?
9. In Book I, why has Albert been fired from his job?
10. What Old Testament story does David take a particular interest in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the story of Isaiah and the coal relevant do David? What does it mean for him? Why does it interest him so much?
Essay Topic 2
Light is a major theme throughout the book. Describe how the author uses light in the story. What does it mean? Does it mean different things in different situations? Why does the author choose to use light in this manner?
Essay Topic 3
Why is this book titled Call It Sleep? What does the title mean?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)