|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
2. How old is David when the book begins?
3. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
4. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
5. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What Old Testament story does David take a particular interest in?
2. When Yussie and a group of boys taunt David in the streets about his father beating him, what does David do?
3. What is Albert's reaction to David when David and Genya arrive in New York?
4. Why does Bertha have some misgivings about marrying Nathan?
5. After moving to the Lower East Side, why does David have to be quiet or stay outside during the day?
6. Why is Albert in a foul mood when his wife and child arrive in New York?
7. When David returns home from his and Leo's visit to Bertha's daughters, what is David afraid his parents will find out?
8. What does Genya tell David she thinks God is like?
9. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
10. What is a chumitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cellar is one of the major symbols used in Call It Sleep. What does the cellar represent? What does David need to get past the cellar and into his apartment? What does this symbolize in terms of David's life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain David's hallucination following his electrocution. What does it mean? What aspects of his childhood are brought together in the hallucination?
Essay Topic 3
What does the picture Genya purchases mean to her? What does it remind her of? Why does it make her happy? Does the title of this section of the book, "The Picture," refer only to the picture Genya purchases? Why or why not?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)