|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Genya marry Albert?
2. Where is Bertha from?
3. How does Albert view Bertha?
4. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
5. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David begin to avoid Annie?
2. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
3. Why does David go outside again after returning home from cheder following the milk route incident?
4. While outside, David finds a metal milk dipper. What does he hope to do with it?
5. What happens to Albert before he has a chance to lash out at Luter at their workplace?
6. When he returns home from cheder after the milk route incident, why does David have to wait for Genya to open the door?
7. What does David hallucinate?
8. When David returns home from his and Leo's visit to Bertha's daughters, what is David afraid his parents will find out?
9. How does David create the flash on the trolley rail?
10. When David's parents argue after the rabbi tells them of David's lie, what does David learn about Albert's childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cellar is one of the major symbols used in Call It Sleep. What does the cellar represent? What does David need to get past the cellar and into his apartment? What does this symbolize in terms of David's life?
Essay Topic 2
David experiences a great deal of fear in his life. What are some of his fears? How do his fears affect him? Is he able to overcome those fears? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom or independence is one of the themes present in the book. Who in the book has freedom or independence? How does David feel about being independent? Who does not have independence? Why?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)