|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
2. Who is dousing all the small fires set to burn the chumitz?
3. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
4. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
5. When Luter finds out that Genya has never left the neighborhood, what does he give Albert and Genya?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leo say that his father died?
2. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
3. What happens while Albert is whipping David for lying to the rabbi?
4. How does David create the flash on the trolley rail?
5. In Book I, why has Albert been fired from his job?
6. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
7. When David's parents argue after the rabbi tells them of David's lie, what does David learn about Albert's childhood?
8. When Yussie and a group of boys taunt David in the streets about his father beating him, what does David do?
9. Why do the boys chase the canary?
10. Why do David and his mother come to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom or independence is one of the themes present in the book. Who in the book has freedom or independence? How does David feel about being independent? Who does not have independence? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain David's hallucination following his electrocution. What does it mean? What aspects of his childhood are brought together in the hallucination?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bertha and Genya. What makes them so different from one another despite their common past? What has happened to Genya that makes her the way she is?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)