|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book III, what does David begin to attend after school?
2. Who starts to take David to museums and landmarks?
3. What does Annie try to do to David when Yussie leaves to get bread?
4. How does David feel about Luter's frequent visits?
5. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bertha say she enjoys about Nathan?
2. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
3. While up on his own rooftop in Book IV, Chapters 7-14, what does David see on another rooftop?
4. Why does David begin to avoid Annie?
5. What is the reunion between Genya, David, and Albert like when Genya and David get to New York?
6. When Yussie and a group of boys taunt David in the streets about his father beating him, what does David do?
7. Why does David's family move to the Lower East Side?
8. What happens when David tries to kick the milk dipper?
9. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
10. How does David come to realize that there are some important things he does not know about his parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion and spirituality play a big role in Call It Sleep. How do David's family's religious beliefs affect him? Do you think David believes as his parents do, or does he seem to be finding his own way? What role does Christianity play in the book? How do the Christian characters affect David's life?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the story of Isaiah and the coal relevant do David? What does it mean for him? Why does it interest him so much?
Essay Topic 3
Why does David have a feeling of triumph at the end of the book when Albert is clearly upset by his son's near death? Why does he seem to believe he has achieved a victory?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)