|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David's mother purchase to place in their kitchen?
2. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
3. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
4. What was Genya's father's reaction to her affair?
5. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the trolley after David kicks the milk dipper?
2. In Book I, why has Albert been fired from his job?
3. Why does Luter want to find a wife that has money?
4. What does David find relaxing about the family's apartment in the Lower East Side?
5. Why does Albert take David along on his milk route?
6. When David returns home from his and Leo's visit to Bertha's daughters, what is David afraid his parents will find out?
7. Why does Leo want to go meet David's cousins, Esther and Polly?
8. Why does David go outside again after returning home from cheder following the milk route incident?
9. Why doesn't David's plan for the milk dipper work?
10. What lie does David tell the rabbis when he cries at cheder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David experiences a great deal of fear in his life. What are some of his fears? How do his fears affect him? Is he able to overcome those fears? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss David's journey through the book. Does he undergo some changes? If so, what are the changes? What causes the changes?
Essay Topic 3
Why does David have a feeling of triumph at the end of the book when Albert is clearly upset by his son's near death? Why does he seem to believe he has achieved a victory?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)