|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Bertha from?
2. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
3. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
4. How old is David in Book I?
5. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Albert's reaction when he learns what has happened to David at the rails?
2. Why is David disconcerted by the story the boys tell about what they saw from a rooftop?
3. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
4. What Old Testament story does David take a particular interest in?
5. Why didn't Genya run away with her lover when she was younger?
6. What does David find on the roof of his own building after listening to the boys' story of the canary chase?
7. What is the reunion between Genya, David, and Albert like when Genya and David get to New York?
8. What is Albert's reaction to David when David and Genya arrive in New York?
9. When he returns home from cheder after the milk route incident, why does David have to wait for Genya to open the door?
10. Why does Leo want to go meet David's cousins, Esther and Polly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David is placed into several situations where sex or sexuality are involved. What are those situations? How do they affect David? What role does David play in the situations?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the setting of Call It Sleep important? What is New York like at the time? How does the physical and historical setting affect David?
Essay Topic 3
Albert and David are both manipulated by people they consider friends. Albert is manipulated by Luter and David is manipulated by Leo. Compare and contrast the relationships between each of these pairs. How are Albert and David manipulated? Why do they allow themselves to be manipulated?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)