|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genya make Albert promise never to do again after David kicks Yussie?
2. Where do David and his family move to after Albert gets a job as a milkman?
3. How does David feel about Luter's frequent visits?
4. What does Annie try to do to David when Yussie leaves to get bread?
5. What story does David read from a blue book after the incident with the group of boys at the trolley rails?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the woman the group of boys spy on while chasing the canary doing?
2. Why is David disconcerted by the story the boys tell about what they saw from a rooftop?
3. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
4. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
5. When David returns home from his and Leo's visit to Bertha's daughters, what is David afraid his parents will find out?
6. In Book I, why has Albert been fired from his job?
7. What is Genya's reaction to Albert's foul mood when she arrives in New York?
8. After Albert beats David for lying to the rabbi, what does Genya tell David to do?
9. What does David find relaxing about the family's apartment in the Lower East Side?
10. How does David create the flash on the trolley rail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does David have a visionary experience at the river? What does his vision mean? Is it truly a vision or just a memory?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss David's journey through the book. Does he undergo some changes? If so, what are the changes? What causes the changes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bertha and Genya. What makes them so different from one another despite their common past? What has happened to Genya that makes her the way she is?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)