|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
2. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
3. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
4. What does David's mother purchase to place in their kitchen?
5. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David create the flash on the trolley rail?
2. What is a chumitz?
3. Why is David afraid of Albert when he first arrives in New York?
4. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
5. When Yussie and a group of boys taunt David in the streets about his father beating him, what does David do?
6. What does Bertha say she enjoys about Nathan?
7. After Albert beats David for lying to the rabbi, what does Genya tell David to do?
8. While outside, David finds a metal milk dipper. What does he hope to do with it?
9. Why is David disconcerted by the story the boys tell about what they saw from a rooftop?
10. When David's parents argue after the rabbi tells them of David's lie, what does David learn about Albert's childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the setting of Call It Sleep important? What is New York like at the time? How does the physical and historical setting affect David?
Essay Topic 2
David is placed into several situations where sex or sexuality are involved. What are those situations? How do they affect David? What role does David play in the situations?
Essay Topic 3
Why does David have a visionary experience at the river? What does his vision mean? Is it truly a vision or just a memory?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)