|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joe Luter?
2. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
3. Where is Bertha from?
4. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
5. Where is Luter from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the boys chase the canary?
2. What does Leo tell David he must get if he wants to travel to Leo's old neighborhood?
3. Who does David's mother fail to recognize?
4. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
5. While up on his own rooftop in Book IV, Chapters 7-14, what does David see on another rooftop?
6. What saves David after he kicks the milk dipper on the rails?
7. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
8. Genya warns Albert that he is becoming too close to Luter. Why is she concerned the relationship could cause trouble?
9. What is Genya's reaction to Albert's foul mood when she arrives in New York?
10. When the boys chase the canary to the roof, what do they discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the picture Genya purchases mean to her? What does it remind her of? Why does it make her happy? Does the title of this section of the book, "The Picture," refer only to the picture Genya purchases? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the setting of Call It Sleep important? What is New York like at the time? How does the physical and historical setting affect David?
Essay Topic 3
Why does David tell such an elaborate lie about his parents to the rabbis? What does his lie reveal about him?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)