|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
2. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
3. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
4. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
5. Where was David born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Albert do when he learns that milk has been stolen from his wagon?
2. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
3. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
4. Why is Albert in a foul mood when his wife and child arrive in New York?
5. How does David come to realize that there are some important things he does not know about his parents?
6. Why does Leo want to go meet David's cousins, Esther and Polly?
7. Why does David begin to avoid Annie?
8. Why is 1907 an important year for Ellis Island?
9. In Book III, what mesmerizes David as he returns to the docks?
10. What happens when David tries to kick the milk dipper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain David's hallucination following his electrocution. What does it mean? What aspects of his childhood are brought together in the hallucination?
Essay Topic 2
Why does David have a feeling of triumph at the end of the book when Albert is clearly upset by his son's near death? Why does he seem to believe he has achieved a victory?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom or independence is one of the themes present in the book. Who in the book has freedom or independence? How does David feel about being independent? Who does not have independence? Why?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)