|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rabbi Yidel teach David?
2. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
3. What does Rabbi Yidel give David for reading an entire passage in Hebrew?
4. Where do David and his family move to after Albert gets a job as a milkman?
5. Who is Joe Luter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David's family move to the Lower East Side?
2. How does David get home after he gets lost in Book I?
3. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
4. Why didn't Genya run away with her lover when she was younger?
5. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
6. What Old Testament story does David take a particular interest in?
7. What does Genya tell David she thinks God is like?
8. What does David find on the roof of his own building after listening to the boys' story of the canary chase?
9. What is Albert's reaction when he learns what has happened to David at the rails?
10. Why do the boys chase the canary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David experiences a great deal of fear in his life. What are some of his fears? How do his fears affect him? Is he able to overcome those fears? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
What reasons for marriage are presented in Call It Sleep? What impression of marriage does this give? Are those reasons for marriage still valid today? In other words, do people still marry for some of those same reasons? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does David have a visionary experience at the river? What does his vision mean? Is it truly a vision or just a memory?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)