Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is dousing all the small fires set to burn the chumitz?
2. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
3. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
4. What time of the day does Albert work as a milkman?
5. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Albert's reaction when he learns what has happened to David at the rails?
2. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
3. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
4. What saves David after he kicks the milk dipper on the rails?
5. How does David come to realize that there are some important things he does not know about his parents?
6. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
7. What does Genya tell David she thinks God is like?
8. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
9. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
10. Why doesn't David run away when the men terrorize him and steal the milk?
Essay Topic 1
David is placed into several situations where sex or sexuality are involved. What are those situations? How do they affect David? What role does David play in the situations?
Essay Topic 2
Why does David tell such an elaborate lie about his parents to the rabbis? What does his lie reveal about him?
Essay Topic 3
What does the picture Genya purchases mean to her? What does it remind her of? Why does it make her happy? Does the title of this section of the book, "The Picture," refer only to the picture Genya purchases? Why or why not?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)