|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
2. Where does David put the calendar pages he tears from the calendar every day?
3. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
4. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
5. Where does Albert get a job after he is fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leo want to go meet David's cousins, Esther and Polly?
2. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
3. After moving to the Lower East Side, why does David have to be quiet or stay outside during the day?
4. Why do David and his mother come to New York?
5. How does David create the flash on the trolley rail?
6. Why didn't Genya run away with her lover when she was younger?
7. Why is David afraid of Albert when he first arrives in New York?
8. When David returns home from his and Leo's visit to Bertha's daughters, what is David afraid his parents will find out?
9. What is the reunion between Genya, David, and Albert like when Genya and David get to New York?
10. What does David hallucinate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does David have a visionary experience at the river? What does his vision mean? Is it truly a vision or just a memory?
Essay Topic 2
David is placed into several situations where sex or sexuality are involved. What are those situations? How do they affect David? What role does David play in the situations?
Essay Topic 3
Why does David have a feeling of triumph at the end of the book when Albert is clearly upset by his son's near death? Why does he seem to believe he has achieved a victory?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)