|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
2. In Book III, what does David begin to attend after school?
3. What does Rabbi Yidel teach David?
4. Who dominates the dinner conversation when Nathan comes to dinner?
5. How old is David when the book begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens while Albert is whipping David for lying to the rabbi?
2. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
3. In Book I, why has Albert been fired from his job?
4. Why does David begin to avoid Annie?
5. What does Leo tell David he must get if he wants to travel to Leo's old neighborhood?
6. Why is 1907 an important year for Ellis Island?
7. Who does David's mother fail to recognize?
8. Why doesn't David run away when the men terrorize him and steal the milk?
9. Why is David disconcerted by the story the boys tell about what they saw from a rooftop?
10. When David's parents argue after the rabbi tells them of David's lie, what does David learn about Albert's childhood?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Bertha and Genya. What makes them so different from one another despite their common past? What has happened to Genya that makes her the way she is?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the story of Isaiah and the coal relevant do David? What does it mean for him? Why does it interest him so much?
Essay Topic 3
Religion and spirituality play a big role in Call It Sleep. How do David's family's religious beliefs affect him? Do you think David believes as his parents do, or does he seem to be finding his own way? What role does Christianity play in the book? How do the Christian characters affect David's life?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)