Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is dousing all the small fires set to burn the chumitz?
2. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
3. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
4. What time of the day does Albert work as a milkman?
5. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Albert's reaction when he learns what has happened to David at the rails?
2. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
3. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
4. What saves David after he kicks the milk dipper on the rails?
5. How does David come to realize that there are some important things he does not know about his parents?
6. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
7. What does Genya tell David she thinks God is like?
8. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
9. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
10. Why doesn't David run away when the men terrorize him and steal the milk?
Essay Topic 1
What does the picture Genya purchases mean to her? What does it remind her of? Why does it make her happy? Does the title of this section of the book, "The Picture," refer only to the picture Genya purchases? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Albert and David are both manipulated by people they consider friends. Albert is manipulated by Luter and David is manipulated by Leo. Compare and contrast the relationships between each of these pairs. How are Albert and David manipulated? Why do they allow themselves to be manipulated?
Essay Topic 3
Why does David have a feeling of triumph at the end of the book when Albert is clearly upset by his son's near death? Why does he seem to believe he has achieved a victory?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)