|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is dousing all the small fires set to burn the chumitz?
2. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
3. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
4. What time of the day does Albert work as a milkman?
5. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Albert's reaction when he learns what has happened to David at the rails?
2. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
3. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
4. What saves David after he kicks the milk dipper on the rails?
5. How does David come to realize that there are some important things he does not know about his parents?
6. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
7. What does Genya tell David she thinks God is like?
8. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
9. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
10. Why doesn't David run away when the men terrorize him and steal the milk?
Essay Topic 1
The cellar is one of the major symbols used in Call It Sleep. What does the cellar represent? What does David need to get past the cellar and into his apartment? What does this symbolize in terms of David's life?
Essay Topic 2
Why does David tell such an elaborate lie about his parents to the rabbis? What does his lie reveal about him?
Essay Topic 3
Although they grew up in different times and places, Albert and David have distinct similarities in their childhoods. Compare and contrast their childhood situations. How have Albert's childhood experiences influenced David's childhood experiences?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)