|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
2. What do the boys want to cause with the trolley rail?
3. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
4. In Book I, why is Albert fired from his job?
5. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David's family move to the Lower East Side?
2. What saves David after he kicks the milk dipper on the rails?
3. In Book IV, Chapters 5-6, when David meets a group of boys outside, what are the boys doing?
4. While up on his own rooftop in Book IV, Chapters 7-14, what does David see on another rooftop?
5. Why doesn't David's plan for the milk dipper work?
6. Why does David go outside again after returning home from cheder following the milk route incident?
7. What is the woman the group of boys spy on while chasing the canary doing?
8. Why is David afraid of Albert when he first arrives in New York?
9. How does David create the flash on the trolley rail?
10. What happens to Albert before he has a chance to lash out at Luter at their workplace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion and spirituality play a big role in Call It Sleep. How do David's family's religious beliefs affect him? Do you think David believes as his parents do, or does he seem to be finding his own way? What role does Christianity play in the book? How do the Christian characters affect David's life?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom or independence is one of the themes present in the book. Who in the book has freedom or independence? How does David feel about being independent? Who does not have independence? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why does David have a visionary experience at the river? What does his vision mean? Is it truly a vision or just a memory?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)