|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
2. What does Rabbi Yidel give David for reading an entire passage in Hebrew?
3. What do the boys want to cause with the trolley rail?
4. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
5. What does David think the coal used to cleanse Isaiah's mouth might be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leo say that his father died?
2. Why is David afraid of Albert when he first arrives in New York?
3. In Book IV, Chapters 5-6, when David meets a group of boys outside, what are the boys doing?
4. What does David hallucinate?
5. Why does David's family move to the Lower East Side?
6. What is Albert's reaction to David when David and Genya arrive in New York?
7. Why didn't Genya run away with her lover when she was younger?
8. What is the woman the group of boys spy on while chasing the canary doing?
9. How does David get home after he gets lost in Book I?
10. What Old Testament story does David take a particular interest in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does David have a visionary experience at the river? What does his vision mean? Is it truly a vision or just a memory?
Essay Topic 2
Albert and David are both manipulated by people they consider friends. Albert is manipulated by Luter and David is manipulated by Leo. Compare and contrast the relationships between each of these pairs. How are Albert and David manipulated? Why do they allow themselves to be manipulated?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bertha and Genya. What makes them so different from one another despite their common past? What has happened to Genya that makes her the way she is?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)