|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
2. Where does David put the calendar pages he tears from the calendar every day?
3. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
4. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
5. How does Albert view Bertha?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David get home after he gets lost in Book I?
2. When David's parents argue after the rabbi tells them of David's lie, what does David learn about Albert's childhood?
3. Why does Bertha have some misgivings about marrying Nathan?
4. What does David hallucinate?
5. What is the woman the group of boys spy on while chasing the canary doing?
6. Why does David go outside again after returning home from cheder following the milk route incident?
7. What does Bertha say she enjoys about Nathan?
8. Why do David and his mother come to New York?
9. Why does David's family move to the Lower East Side?
10. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does David tell such an elaborate lie about his parents to the rabbis? What does his lie reveal about him?
Essay Topic 2
Albert and David are both manipulated by people they consider friends. Albert is manipulated by Luter and David is manipulated by Leo. Compare and contrast the relationships between each of these pairs. How are Albert and David manipulated? Why do they allow themselves to be manipulated?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bertha and Genya. What makes them so different from one another despite their common past? What has happened to Genya that makes her the way she is?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)