|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
2. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
3. Where is Luter from?
4. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
5. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does David tell the rabbis when he cries at cheder?
2. After Albert beats David for lying to the rabbi, what does Genya tell David to do?
3. After moving to the Lower East Side, why does David have to be quiet or stay outside during the day?
4. What is the woman the group of boys spy on while chasing the canary doing?
5. Why does Leo want to go meet David's cousins, Esther and Polly?
6. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
7. In Book I, why has Albert been fired from his job?
8. While outside, David finds a metal milk dipper. What does he hope to do with it?
9. What happens to Albert before he has a chance to lash out at Luter at their workplace?
10. Why is 1907 an important year for Ellis Island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cellar is one of the major symbols used in Call It Sleep. What does the cellar represent? What does David need to get past the cellar and into his apartment? What does this symbolize in terms of David's life?
Essay Topic 2
David is placed into several situations where sex or sexuality are involved. What are those situations? How do they affect David? What role does David play in the situations?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the story of Isaiah and the coal relevant do David? What does it mean for him? Why does it interest him so much?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)