|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to David's mother, who is brighter than the brightest day?
2. How does Albert view Bertha?
3. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
4. How does David feel about Luter's frequent visits?
5. What story does David read from a blue book after the incident with the group of boys at the trolley rails?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a chumitz?
2. Why does Leo want to go meet David's cousins, Esther and Polly?
3. How does Leo say that his father died?
4. When David's parents argue after the rabbi tells them of David's lie, what does David learn about Albert's childhood?
5. In Book III, what mesmerizes David as he returns to the docks?
6. What does Leo tell David he must get if he wants to travel to Leo's old neighborhood?
7. After Albert beats David for lying to the rabbi, what does Genya tell David to do?
8. Why does David go outside again after returning home from cheder following the milk route incident?
9. How does David create the flash on the trolley rail?
10. Why is David disconcerted by the story the boys tell about what they saw from a rooftop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cellar is one of the major symbols used in Call It Sleep. What does the cellar represent? What does David need to get past the cellar and into his apartment? What does this symbolize in terms of David's life?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the story of Isaiah and the coal relevant do David? What does it mean for him? Why does it interest him so much?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bertha and Genya. What makes them so different from one another despite their common past? What has happened to Genya that makes her the way she is?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)