|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What signal reminds David to return home at the end of the day when he is playing outside?
2. What does Albert vow to do after being sent home from Dolman's Press?
3. Where is Luter from?
4. How does David feel about Luter's frequent visits?
5. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
2. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
3. What happens to Albert before he has a chance to lash out at Luter at their workplace?
4. Genya warns Albert that he is becoming too close to Luter. Why is she concerned the relationship could cause trouble?
5. While outside, David finds a metal milk dipper. What does he hope to do with it?
6. Who does David's mother fail to recognize?
7. What is the woman the group of boys spy on while chasing the canary doing?
8. What does Bertha say she enjoys about Nathan?
9. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
10. When David returns home from his and Leo's visit to Bertha's daughters, what is David afraid his parents will find out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain David's hallucination following his electrocution. What does it mean? What aspects of his childhood are brought together in the hallucination?
Essay Topic 2
What reasons for marriage are presented in Call It Sleep? What impression of marriage does this give? Are those reasons for marriage still valid today? In other words, do people still marry for some of those same reasons? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does David have a visionary experience at the river? What does his vision mean? Is it truly a vision or just a memory?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)