|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
2. What signal reminds David to return home at the end of the day when he is playing outside?
(a) A whistle signaling quitting time.
(b) The other children returning home.
(c) His mother calls him.
(d) His father arriving home.
3. What does Annie try to do to David when Yussie leaves to get bread?
(a) Get him to play tea party.
(b) Molest him.
(c) Hit him.
(d) Get him in trouble with his mother.
4. What kind of job does Albert look for after he leaves his job at Dolman's Press?
(b) His own store.
(c) One where he can be his own boss and work outside.
(d) One where he can boss other people around.
5. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
(a) A rabbi.
(b) A Buddhist.
(c) A rich Jewish man.
(d) A goy church organist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David do to earn a penny from an old woman?
2. Where do David and his family move to after Albert gets a job as a milkman?
3. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
4. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
5. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
Short Essay Questions
1. When he returns home from cheder after the milk route incident, why does David have to wait for Genya to open the door?
2. What saves David after he kicks the milk dipper on the rails?
3. How does David create the flash on the trolley rail?
4. What happens to Albert before he has a chance to lash out at Luter at their workplace?
5. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
6. What does Genya tell David she thinks God is like?
7. What does Leo tell David he must get if he wants to travel to Leo's old neighborhood?
8. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
9. While up on his own rooftop in Book IV, Chapters 7-14, what does David see on another rooftop?
10. Why does David begin to avoid Annie?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)