|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
(a) Yussie calls Genya ugly.
(b) Yussie kicks him first.
(c) Yussie hits him with a hanger.
(d) Yussie teases David about Annie.
2. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
(c) Ride horses.
3. Who is Mrs. Mink?
(a) Yussie's mother.
(b) David's teacher.
(c) Luter's fiancee.
(d) Leo's mother.
4. What kind of job does Albert look for after he leaves his job at Dolman's Press?
(a) One where he can boss other people around.
(c) His own store.
(d) One where he can be his own boss and work outside.
5. How does Albert treat Nathan when he came to dinner?
(a) He barely acknowledges Nathan.
(b) He insults Nathan openly.
(c) He is welcoming.
(d) He is very kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
2. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
3. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
4. Who used coal to cleanse Isaiah's mouth?
5. According to David's mother, who is brighter than the brightest day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leo say that his father died?
2. What is Albert's reaction when he learns what has happened to David at the rails?
3. Why doesn't David run away when the men terrorize him and steal the milk?
4. What is Genya's reaction to Albert's foul mood when she arrives in New York?
5. What lie does David tell the rabbis when he cries at cheder?
6. What Old Testament story does David take a particular interest in?
7. Why is David disconcerted by the story the boys tell about what they saw from a rooftop?
8. What is the reunion between Genya, David, and Albert like when Genya and David get to New York?
9. After Albert beats David for lying to the rabbi, what does Genya tell David to do?
10. Why is David afraid of Albert when he first arrives in New York?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)