|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joe Luter?
(a) Bertha's husband.
(b) Genya's uncle.
(c) Albert's cousin.
(d) Albert's foreman.
2. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
(a) A handsome man.
(b) An atheist.
(c) A Christian.
(d) A poor man.
3. What signal reminds David to return home at the end of the day when he is playing outside?
(a) His father arriving home.
(b) The other children returning home.
(c) A whistle signaling quitting time.
(d) His mother calls him.
4. What effect do the quiet and the water of the river have on David?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He goes swimming.
(c) They bore him.
(d) They mesmerizes him.
5. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
(a) The neighborhood.
(d) In stores.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Albert react to David when David first arrives in New York?
2. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
3. Where do David and his family move to after Albert gets a job as a milkman?
4. When David runs into a group of boys, what do they plan to drop on the trolley rail?
5. What is the coming of age celebration for Jewish boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the trolley after David kicks the milk dipper?
2. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
3. Why is 1907 an important year for Ellis Island?
4. In Book III, what mesmerizes David as he returns to the docks?
5. How does Leo say that his father died?
6. Why does David go outside again after returning home from cheder following the milk route incident?
7. When David's parents argue after the rabbi tells them of David's lie, what does David learn about Albert's childhood?
8. Why does David begin to avoid Annie?
9. Why does Bertha have some misgivings about marrying Nathan?
10. Why do the boys chase the canary?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)