|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
(a) The President gives a historic speech there.
(b) There is a bombing.
(c) The highest number of immigrants are processed there.
(d) There is an earthquake.
2. What kind of shop do Nathan and Bertha plan to open?
(a) A book shop.
(b) A shoe store.
(c) A candy shop.
(d) A newspaper stand.
3. What story does David read from a blue book after the incident with the group of boys at the trolley rails?
(b) Isaiah and the coal.
(c) David and Goliath.
(d) The Ten Commandments.
4. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
(a) Yussie teases David about Annie.
(b) Yussie hits him with a hanger.
(c) Yussie kicks him first.
(d) Yussie calls Genya ugly.
5. Where was David born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
2. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
3. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
4. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
5. What faith is the Schearl family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't David run away when the men terrorize him and steal the milk?
2. What does David find relaxing about the family's apartment in the Lower East Side?
3. What is the reunion between Genya, David, and Albert like when Genya and David get to New York?
4. When David goes to Aunt Bertha's candy shop to see if Bertha has what he needs to go to Leo's neighborhood, what does Bertha ask David to do?
5. While outside, David finds a metal milk dipper. What does he hope to do with it?
6. Why doesn't David's plan for the milk dipper work?
7. In Book III, what mesmerizes David as he returns to the docks?
8. What is the woman the group of boys spy on while chasing the canary doing?
9. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
10. What does David find on the roof of his own building after listening to the boys' story of the canary chase?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)