|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
(a) At church.
(b) At work.
(c) On the bus.
(d) At the dentist's office.
2. According to David's mother, who is brighter than the brightest day?
(a) The devil.
(d) An angel.
3. What does Albert vow to do after being sent home from Dolman's Press?
(a) Get Luter fired.
(b) Never return to Dolman's Press.
(c) Kill Luter.
(d) Become a millionaire.
4. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
(a) Being her own boss.
(b) Having employees to boss around.
(c) Choosing the candies.
(d) Being free to raise her children.
5. How old is David in Book I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Annie try to do to David when Yussie leaves to get bread?
3. What does David do to earn a penny from an old woman?
4. Where does David put the calendar pages he tears from the calendar every day?
5. How does David feel about Luter's frequent visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David get home after he gets lost in Book I?
2. Why is David disconcerted by the story the boys tell about what they saw from a rooftop?
3. What lie does David tell the rabbis when he cries at cheder?
4. What happens to Albert before he has a chance to lash out at Luter at their workplace?
5. Why is 1907 an important year for Ellis Island?
6. Who does David's mother fail to recognize?
7. In Book IV, Chapters 5-6, when David meets a group of boys outside, what are the boys doing?
8. Why doesn't David's plan for the milk dipper work?
9. While up on his own rooftop in Book IV, Chapters 7-14, what does David see on another rooftop?
10. What does Genya tell David she thinks God is like?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)