|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
2. How does Albert react to David when David first arrives in New York?
(a) Albert is overjoyed to see David.
(b) Albert ignores David.
(c) Albert hugs David.
(d) Albert criticizes David.
3. When David runs into a group of boys, what do they plan to drop on the trolley rail?
(a) A metal wire.
(b) A spike.
(c) A piece of pipe.
(d) A stick.
4. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
(a) A goy church organist.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) A rich Jewish man.
(d) A Buddhist.
5. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
(b) In stores.
(c) The neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
2. What language do Genya and Bertha talk in that David cannot understand?
3. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
4. What story does David read from a blue book after the incident with the group of boys at the trolley rails?
5. In Book I, why is Albert fired from his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is David afraid of Albert when he first arrives in New York?
2. Genya warns Albert that he is becoming too close to Luter. Why is she concerned the relationship could cause trouble?
3. How does David come to realize that there are some important things he does not know about his parents?
4. Why doesn't David's plan for the milk dipper work?
5. After moving to the Lower East Side, why does David have to be quiet or stay outside during the day?
6. Why does David's family move to the Lower East Side?
7. Why does David go outside again after returning home from cheder following the milk route incident?
8. What lie does David tell the rabbis when he cries at cheder?
9. Why does David begin to avoid Annie?
10. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)