|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
(a) A goy church organist.
(b) A rich Jewish man.
(c) A rabbi.
(d) A Buddhist.
2. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
(a) The neighborhood.
(c) In stores.
3. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
4. Where does Albert get a job after he is fired?
(a) Dolman's Press.
(b) Bertha's Candy Shop.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) Finniman's Press.
5. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book III, what does David begin to attend after school?
2. Where is Luter from?
3. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
4. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
5. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a chumitz?
2. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
3. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
4. Why didn't Genya run away with her lover when she was younger?
5. How does David get home after he gets lost in Book I?
6. What is Albert's reaction when he learns what has happened to David at the rails?
7. When Yussie and a group of boys taunt David in the streets about his father beating him, what does David do?
8. What is the woman the group of boys spy on while chasing the canary doing?
9. Why doesn't David's plan for the milk dipper work?
10. Why is 1907 an important year for Ellis Island?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)