|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
2. Where do David and his family move to after Albert gets a job as a milkman?
(a) The Lower East Side.
(b) New Jersey.
(c) Ellis Island.
3. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
(a) Polish and English.
(b) Spanish and German.
(c) Yiddish and English.
(d) Italian and German.
4. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
5. In Book I, why is Albert fired from his job?
(a) He missed too many days of work.
(b) He made too many errors in his work.
(c) He threatened his coworkers.
(d) He was caught drinking on the job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the chants and rhymes of the girls playing remind David of?
2. Who dominates the dinner conversation when Nathan comes to dinner?
3. What is on the bottom floor of the flat David and his family live in at the beginning of the book?
4. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
5. Why does Albert send David into his workplace alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when David tries to kick the milk dipper?
2. After Albert beats David for lying to the rabbi, what does Genya tell David to do?
3. How does Leo say that his father died?
4. Why does David's family move to the Lower East Side?
5. When the boys chase the canary to the roof, what do they discover?
6. What is a chumitz?
7. Who does David's mother fail to recognize?
8. What is Albert's reaction when he learns what has happened to David at the rails?
9. While outside, David finds a metal milk dipper. What does he hope to do with it?
10. When he returns home from cheder after the milk route incident, why does David have to wait for Genya to open the door?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)