|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is David when the book begins?
(a) A teenager.
(b) A school-aged boy.
(c) A toddler.
(d) A young man.
2. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
(b) David's grandmother.
3. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
(a) More submissive.
(b) Much prettier.
(c) The complete opposite.
(d) Very much alike.
4. Who babysits David while his parents go out in Book I?
(a) Mrs. Mink.
5. Who starts to take David to museums and landmarks?
(b) Mrs. Mink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shop do Nathan and Bertha plan to open?
2. What does David do to earn a penny from an old woman?
3. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
4. Where do David and his family move to after Albert gets a job as a milkman?
5. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leo want to go meet David's cousins, Esther and Polly?
2. What is the woman the group of boys spy on while chasing the canary doing?
3. Genya warns Albert that he is becoming too close to Luter. Why is she concerned the relationship could cause trouble?
4. What happens when David tries to kick the milk dipper?
5. Why is David disconcerted by the story the boys tell about what they saw from a rooftop?
6. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
7. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
8. What does Genya tell David she thinks God is like?
9. What does Albert do when he learns that milk has been stolen from his wagon?
10. Why didn't Genya run away with her lover when she was younger?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)