|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
(a) A goy church organist.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) A rich Jewish man.
(d) A Buddhist.
2. What is the coming of age celebration for Jewish boys?
(a) Bar Mitzvah.
3. How does Albert view Bertha?
(a) Mean but pretty.
(b) Beautiful and shy.
(c) Crude and uncivilized.
4. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
(a) Successful and together.
(c) Exactly like Genya.
(d) Disheveled and slovenly.
5. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
(a) Throwing rocks at pigeons.
(c) Urinating in the snow.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Albert react to David when David first arrives in New York?
2. Who used coal to cleanse Isaiah's mouth?
3. What does Annie try to do to David when Yussie leaves to get bread?
4. When Luter finds out that Genya has never left the neighborhood, what does he give Albert and Genya?
5. Why does Luter stop coming to the Shearl's for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a chumitz?
2. What does David find relaxing about the family's apartment in the Lower East Side?
3. Why didn't Genya run away with her lover when she was younger?
4. What is the woman the group of boys spy on while chasing the canary doing?
5. Why does Leo want to go meet David's cousins, Esther and Polly?
6. Why does David's family move to the Lower East Side?
7. What does Albert do when he learns that milk has been stolen from his wagon?
8. How does David get home after he gets lost in Book I?
9. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
10. Why is Albert in a foul mood when his wife and child arrive in New York?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)