|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
(b) Disheveled and slovenly.
(c) Exactly like Genya.
(d) Successful and together.
2. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
3. What does Rabbi Yidel teach David?
4. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
(a) On the bus.
(b) At the dentist's office.
(c) At church.
(d) At work.
5. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
(b) In stores.
(c) The neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Genya's father's reaction to her affair?
2. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
3. Where does Albert get a job after he is fired?
4. What do the boys want to cause with the trolley rail?
5. Who is Mrs. Mink?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book I, why has Albert been fired from his job?
2. Genya warns Albert that he is becoming too close to Luter. Why is she concerned the relationship could cause trouble?
3. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
4. What is Albert's reaction when he learns what has happened to David at the rails?
5. What is Albert's reaction to David when David and Genya arrive in New York?
6. After moving to the Lower East Side, why does David have to be quiet or stay outside during the day?
7. Why doesn't David run away when the men terrorize him and steal the milk?
8. Who does David's mother fail to recognize?
9. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
10. Why didn't Genya run away with her lover when she was younger?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)