|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new thing for David is included in dinner when Luter first comes to visit?
(b) Dinner rolls.
(c) Table manners.
2. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
3. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
(a) Yiddish and English.
(b) Polish and English.
(c) Italian and German.
(d) Spanish and German.
4. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
5. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
(a) He wanted her husband to take care of her.
(b) She was "ruined."
(c) He and his wife wanted to be alone.
(d) He wanted the best for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David do to anger his father when Luter comes for Friday Sabbath dinner?
2. Why did Genya marry Albert?
3. What does David ask Genya about after seeing a funeral procession?
4. Where does Albert get a job after he is fired?
5. Why does Luter stop coming to the Shearl's for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a chumitz?
2. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
3. Why does David go outside again after returning home from cheder following the milk route incident?
4. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
5. How does David get home after he gets lost in Book I?
6. Genya warns Albert that he is becoming too close to Luter. Why is she concerned the relationship could cause trouble?
7. Why does Albert take David along on his milk route?
8. What happens when David tries to kick the milk dipper?
9. Why is David disconcerted by the story the boys tell about what they saw from a rooftop?
10. What happens to Albert before he has a chance to lash out at Luter at their workplace?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)