|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was David born?
2. What happens to Albert that causes him to leave work before he can lash out at Luter?
(a) He is fired.
(b) Luter quits.
(c) He injurs his thumb.
(d) He is promoted.
3. How old is David in Book I?
4. Where does Albert get a job after he is fired?
(a) Finniman's Press.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Dolman's Press.
(d) Bertha's Candy Shop.
5. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
(d) David's grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used coal to cleanse Isaiah's mouth?
2. What does David do to anger his father when Luter comes for Friday Sabbath dinner?
3. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
4. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
5. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
Short Essay Questions
1. When David's parents argue after the rabbi tells them of David's lie, what does David learn about Albert's childhood?
2. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
3. What is the reunion between Genya, David, and Albert like when Genya and David get to New York?
4. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
5. What is a chumitz?
6. Why do the boys chase the canary?
7. Why is Albert in a foul mood when his wife and child arrive in New York?
8. Why didn't Genya run away with her lover when she was younger?
9. What lie does David tell the rabbis when he cries at cheder?
10. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)