|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the bottom floor of the flat David and his family live in at the beginning of the book?
(a) More apartments.
(b) A candy store.
(c) A bookstore.
(d) The cellar.
2. Who is Mrs. Mink?
(a) Yussie's mother.
(b) Luter's fiancee.
(c) David's teacher.
(d) Leo's mother.
3. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
(a) Candy factory.
(b) Garbage collection.
(c) Paper mill.
4. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
5. After the dinner with Nathan and the family becomes tense, what does Nathan suggest?
(a) That David leave the table.
(b) That he and Bertha go for a walk.
(c) That he and Albert step outside.
(d) That he leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
2. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
3. How does Rabbi Yidel feel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
4. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
5. Why does Albert send David into his workplace alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Genya warns Albert that he is becoming too close to Luter. Why is she concerned the relationship could cause trouble?
2. What does David find relaxing about the family's apartment in the Lower East Side?
3. What lie does David tell the rabbis when he cries at cheder?
4. While up on his own rooftop in Book IV, Chapters 7-14, what does David see on another rooftop?
5. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
6. What does Leo tell David he must get if he wants to travel to Leo's old neighborhood?
7. What does Albert do when he learns that milk has been stolen from his wagon?
8. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
9. What Old Testament story does David take a particular interest in?
10. What is Albert's reaction to David when David and Genya arrive in New York?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)