|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Albert that causes him to leave work before he can lash out at Luter?
(a) He is promoted.
(b) He is fired.
(c) Luter quits.
(d) He injurs his thumb.
2. What does Rabbi Yidel teach David?
3. What is David's reaction when he sees a funeral procession for the first time?
(a) David is excited.
(b) David is curious.
(c) David is frightened.
(d) David is sad.
4. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
(b) Ride horses.
5. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
(a) Paper mill.
(b) Garbage collection.
(d) Candy factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Albert view Bertha?
2. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
3. Where is Luter from?
4. What year is it when the book begins?
5. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Genya tell David she thinks God is like?
2. What happens when David tries to kick the milk dipper?
3. How does David create the flash on the trolley rail?
4. What saves David after he kicks the milk dipper on the rails?
5. What does Albert do when he learns that milk has been stolen from his wagon?
6. What is a chumitz?
7. What Old Testament story does David take a particular interest in?
8. What happens while Albert is whipping David for lying to the rabbi?
9. Why does David begin to avoid Annie?
10. While outside, David finds a metal milk dipper. What does he hope to do with it?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)