|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to David's mother, who is brighter than the brightest day?
(a) The devil.
(c) An angel.
2. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
(a) He wanted the best for her.
(b) She was "ruined."
(c) He wanted her husband to take care of her.
(d) He and his wife wanted to be alone.
3. Who babysits David while his parents go out in Book I?
(c) Mrs. Mink.
4. What do the chants and rhymes of the girls playing remind David of?
(a) Being teased.
(b) Rivers, roads, and trees.
(c) A sister that died.
(d) Sheep in a field.
5. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
2. In Book I, why is Albert fired from his job?
3. Where was David born?
4. What is David's reaction when he sees a funeral procession for the first time?
5. Who is Mrs. Mink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David find on the roof of his own building after listening to the boys' story of the canary chase?
2. Who does David's mother fail to recognize?
3. Why does David go outside again after returning home from cheder following the milk route incident?
4. Why does Bertha have some misgivings about marrying Nathan?
5. What does Leo tell David he must get if he wants to travel to Leo's old neighborhood?
6. What happens while Albert is whipping David for lying to the rabbi?
7. After Albert beats David for lying to the rabbi, what does Genya tell David to do?
8. In Book IV, Chapters 5-6, when David meets a group of boys outside, what are the boys doing?
9. Why do David and his mother come to New York?
10. What lie does David tell the rabbis when he cries at cheder?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)