|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Genya make Albert promise never to do again after David kicks Yussie?
(a) Leave David alone.
(b) Allow the boys to play together.
(c) Beat David.
(d) Speak to Yussie again.
2. Who babysits David while his parents go out in Book I?
(a) Mrs. Mink.
3. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
(a) Luter plans to kidnap David.
(b) Luter is lonely.
(c) Luter wants to have an affair with her.
(d) Luter is in love with Albert.
4. What time of the day does Albert work as a milkman?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) At night.
(c) Only in the early hours of the morning.
(d) During the day.
5. What was Genya's father's reaction to her affair?
(a) He verbally and physically abused her.
(b) He was quiet and sad.
(c) He didn't care.
(d) He was sorry it ended.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
2. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
3. What kind of shop do Nathan and Bertha plan to open?
4. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
5. How old is David when the book begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Albert's reaction to David when David and Genya arrive in New York?
2. Why doesn't David's plan for the milk dipper work?
3. What is Albert's reaction when he learns what has happened to David at the rails?
4. Why is David disconcerted by the story the boys tell about what they saw from a rooftop?
5. Why does David's family move to the Lower East Side?
6. What dismays Rabbi Yidel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
7. While up on his own rooftop in Book IV, Chapters 7-14, what does David see on another rooftop?
8. Why is Albert in a foul mood when his wife and child arrive in New York?
9. After Albert beats David for lying to the rabbi, what does Genya tell David to do?
10. What does Genya tell David she thinks God is like?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)