|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is dousing all the small fires set to burn the chumitz?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A fireman.
(c) A street cleaner.
(d) A mail man.
2. What is the coming of age celebration for Jewish boys?
(b) Bar Mitzvah.
3. Where was David born?
4. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
(a) The highest number of immigrants are processed there.
(b) The President gives a historic speech there.
(c) There is an earthquake.
(d) There is a bombing.
5. Why did Genya marry Albert?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) They had similar goals.
(c) She loves him.
(d) To escape her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
2. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
3. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
4. How does Albert treat Nathan when he came to dinner?
5. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the boys chase the canary?
2. What does Leo tell David he must get if he wants to travel to Leo's old neighborhood?
3. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
4. What does David find relaxing about the family's apartment in the Lower East Side?
5. What saves David after he kicks the milk dipper on the rails?
6. When Yussie and a group of boys taunt David in the streets about his father beating him, what does David do?
7. While outside, David finds a metal milk dipper. What does he hope to do with it?
8. What happens while Albert is whipping David for lying to the rabbi?
9. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
10. When he returns home from cheder after the milk route incident, why does David have to wait for Genya to open the door?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)