|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new thing for David is included in dinner when Luter first comes to visit?
(a) Table manners.
(d) Dinner rolls.
2. What does David ask Genya about after seeing a funeral procession?
(c) Her parents.
3. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
(a) His parents forbid it.
(b) He died.
(c) She didn't love him anymore.
(d) He married someone else.
4. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
(a) Spanish and German.
(b) Italian and German.
(c) Polish and English.
(d) Yiddish and English.
5. What does Annie try to do to David when Yussie leaves to get bread?
(a) Molest him.
(b) Get him to play tea party.
(c) Hit him.
(d) Get him in trouble with his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, why is Albert fired from his job?
2. What was Genya's father's reaction to her affair?
3. Who is Joe Luter?
4. When Luter finds out that Genya has never left the neighborhood, what does he give Albert and Genya?
5. What is David's reaction when he sees a funeral procession for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bertha have some misgivings about marrying Nathan?
2. When Yussie and a group of boys taunt David in the streets about his father beating him, what does David do?
3. Why does Leo want to go meet David's cousins, Esther and Polly?
4. In Book IV, Chapters 5-6, when David meets a group of boys outside, what are the boys doing?
5. What happens to the trolley after David kicks the milk dipper?
6. Why does David have some difficulty listening in on his mother's conversations with Bertha?
7. What happens to Albert before he has a chance to lash out at Luter at their workplace?
8. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
9. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
10. Why doesn't David's plan for the milk dipper work?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)