|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Genya's father's reaction to her affair?
(a) He didn't care.
(b) He was sorry it ended.
(c) He was quiet and sad.
(d) He verbally and physically abused her.
2. When David runs into a group of boys, what do they plan to drop on the trolley rail?
(a) A spike.
(b) A metal wire.
(c) A stick.
(d) A piece of pipe.
3. Where was David born?
4. Who babysits David while his parents go out in Book I?
(d) Mrs. Mink.
5. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
(a) Yiddish and English.
(b) Polish and English.
(c) Italian and German.
(d) Spanish and German.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
2. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
3. Who is Mrs. Mink?
4. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
5. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David begin to avoid Annie?
2. Why does David kick Yussie causing a bloody nose?
3. When Yussie and a group of boys taunt David in the streets about his father beating him, what does David do?
4. Why is David disconcerted by the story the boys tell about what they saw from a rooftop?
5. What religious event does Leo tell David about in Book IV: Chapters 7-14?
6. Why didn't Genya run away with her lover when she was younger?
7. Why does David's family move to the Lower East Side?
8. When David goes to Aunt Bertha's candy shop to see if Bertha has what he needs to go to Leo's neighborhood, what does Bertha ask David to do?
9. In Book I, why has Albert been fired from his job?
10. What is Genya's reaction to Albert's foul mood when she arrives in New York?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)