|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
(a) A candle.
(c) A bowl of oil.
(d) A wooden spoon.
2. What does David's mother purchase to place in their kitchen?
(a) A coffee maker.
(b) A picture.
(c) A tea pot.
(d) A vase.
3. What is on the bottom floor of the flat David and his family live in at the beginning of the book?
(a) The cellar.
(b) More apartments.
(c) A bookstore.
(d) A candy store.
4. Where is Bertha from?
5. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
(a) His home.
(b) A candy store.
(c) The elementry school.
(d) The cheder school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David do to earn a penny from an old woman?
2. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
3. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
4. How does Albert view Bertha?
5. What story does David read from a blue book after the incident with the group of boys at the trolley rails?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Albert do when he learns that milk has been stolen from his wagon?
2. What happens when David tries to kick the milk dipper?
3. Why do the boys chase the canary?
4. Genya warns Albert that he is becoming too close to Luter. Why is she concerned the relationship could cause trouble?
5. When David goes to Aunt Bertha's candy shop to see if Bertha has what he needs to go to Leo's neighborhood, what does Bertha ask David to do?
6. Why does David begin to avoid Annie?
7. In Book III, what mesmerizes David as he returns to the docks?
8. What does David find on the roof of his own building after listening to the boys' story of the canary chase?
9. What happens to the trolley after David kicks the milk dipper?
10. After moving to the Lower East Side, why does David have to be quiet or stay outside during the day?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)