|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language do Genya and Bertha talk in that David cannot understand?
2. Where do David and his family move to after Albert gets a job as a milkman?
(a) Ellis Island.
(b) The Lower East Side.
(d) New Jersey.
3. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
(b) Candy factory.
(c) Paper mill.
(d) Garbage collection.
4. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
(a) The boy speaks about Genya in a lewd manner.
(b) The boy calls him a dirty Jew.
(c) He runs into the boy during a game of catch.
(d) Yussie and the boys tease him about Albert beating him.
5. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
(a) Luter is in love with Albert.
(b) Luter is lonely.
(c) Luter wants to have an affair with her.
(d) Luter plans to kidnap David.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the coming of age celebration for Jewish boys?
2. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
3. Where does David go to burn the chumitz?
4. What kind of job does Albert look for after he leaves his job at Dolman's Press?
5. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
Short Essay Questions
1. While outside, David finds a metal milk dipper. What does he hope to do with it?
2. Why does David's family move to the Lower East Side?
3. What happens to the trolley after David kicks the milk dipper?
4. What does David find relaxing about the family's apartment in the Lower East Side?
5. After Albert beats David for lying to the rabbi, what does Genya tell David to do?
6. When he returns home from cheder after the milk route incident, why does David have to wait for Genya to open the door?
7. Why does David go outside again after returning home from cheder following the milk route incident?
8. How does David get home after he gets lost in Book I?
9. After going on the milk route with Albert, why is David unable to perform at cheder?
10. What happens when David tries to kick the milk dipper?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)