|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lie does David tell the rabbis about his mother?
(a) She is abusive.
(b) She is dying.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She is pregnant.
2. Where do Leo and Esther go to be alone?
(a) Behind the candy store.
(b) Leo's bedroom.
(c) Into the storage cellar.
(d) Esther's bedroom.
3. Who does Leo tell David killed Jesus?
4. Whose picture is on the wall in Leo's house?
(b) A famous actor.
(d) The president.
5. What does David find out about Albert's childhood?
(a) Albert's father was abusive.
(b) He is an orphan.
(c) It was very happy.
(d) His mother was killed.
6. How does David feel about the roof of his apartment building?
(a) He wishes he could bring all his friends there.
(b) He thinks it is ugly.
(c) It scares him.
(d) It brings him peace and solitude.
7. Why is the rabbi angry with David when he attends cheder after going on Albert's milk route?
(a) David isn't able to perform adequately.
(b) He reads the wrong passage.
(c) He is late.
(d) He knows what Albert did.
8. What does David realize about the story the boys who chase the bird tell him?
(a) The woman is his mother.
(b) The woman is his Aunt Bertha.
(c) It is all a lie.
(d) The boys actually killed the bird.
9. Who does Albert instruct David not to tell about the events during the milk route?
(a) The rabbi.
(b) David's mother.
(c) Albert's boss.
(d) The policemen.
10. Who urges David to run outside until Albert's anger subsides?
(a) The rabbi.
11. What do the boys who chased the bird begin to talk about on the roof?
(b) The woman's anatomy.
12. What does David plan to throw on the trolley rail after he is punished for lying and helping Leo make advances on Nathan's daughter?
(a) His belt.
(c) A metal dipper.
(d) A coin.
13. Who tries to stop Nathan from telling David's parents about what David and Leo did earlier in the day?
14. What religion is Leo?
15. Where does the rabbi send David from cheder in Book IV?
(a) The cellar.
(b) The store.
(c) The coat room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who looks after Leo during the day?
2. What does David do when he reaches the top of the stairs after returning home from cheder in Book IV, Chapters 1-4?
3. What kind of bird escapes from one of the flats?
4. How do Leo and David get to Bertha's?
5. Whose job is it to protect the wagon and the milk while the milk is being delivered?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)