|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is David moved to immediately after he is electrocuted?
(a) The cobbles.
(b) The rails.
(c) The hospital.
2. How do Leo and David get to Bertha's?
(b) In a car.
(c) On skates.
(d) On bikes.
3. What do the boys see through a window while chasing the bird?
(a) A woman bathing.
(b) A woman sleeping.
(c) The bird returning home.
(d) David being beaten.
4. Whose job is it to protect the wagon and the milk while the milk is being delivered?
(c) A policeman.
(d) A hired guard.
5. What lie does David tell the rabbis about his father?
(a) His father is dead.
(b) His father is Nathan.
(c) He never knew his father.
(d) His father is an organist in Europe.
6. What is Leo's last name?
7. Who does David tell the rabbis told him the truth about his parents?
8. The morning after he hears about the bird chase, what does David find on the adjacent roof?
(a) A cat.
(b) A boy flying a kite.
(c) The canary.
(d) A beautiful girl.
9. Who finds out what is going on between Leo and Esther and threatens to tell Bertha?
10. What lie does David tell the rabbis about his mother?
(a) She is dying.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is abusive.
(d) She is pregnant.
11. What does David give Albert to beat him with when Albert learns about the events at Bertha's?
(a) A paddle.
(b) A wooden spoon.
(c) A broken whip.
(d) A belt.
12. Who urges David to run outside until Albert's anger subsides?
(c) The rabbi.
13. What kind of bird escapes from one of the flats?
(a) A parakeet.
(b) A canary.
(c) A parrot.
(d) A robin..
14. What does David pray for in Book IV?
(a) That his father is not home.
(b) A dog.
(c) A job.
(d) That he can stay at Bertha's.
15. Where does David go after leaving the boys who chase the bird?
(b) Leo's house.
(c) The roof of his own building.
(d) The river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does David find the item he brings Albert to beat him with?
2. What does David sit on in front of a store while he waits for Albert to calm down after beating him?
3. What does Leo bribe David with to introduce him to his step cousins?
4. What accusation does Albert make against Genya in Book IV, Chapters 15-20?
5. Who tries to stop Nathan from telling David's parents about what David and Leo did earlier in the day?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)