|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does David see as his refuge?
(c) His mother.
2. The morning after he hears about the bird chase, what does David find on the adjacent roof?
(a) A boy flying a kite.
(b) A beautiful girl.
(c) A cat.
(d) The canary.
3. Why does David consider running away when the milk is stolen?
(a) He thinks he will be blamed for the theft.
(b) He will have to pay for the stolen milk.
(c) He is afraid of Albert's reaction.
(d) He is bored.
4. What religion is Leo?
5. Who chases after the milk thieves?
(b) A policeman.
(c) A store owner.
6. After leaving home following the milk route incident, when does David plan to return home?
(a) After Albert goes to bed.
(b) After sunset.
(d) At dinner time.
7. Where does Leo's mother work?
(a) In a factory.
(b) At the school.
(c) At a diner.
(d) In a bank as a custodian.
8. In the chapter "The Rail," what is David called on to do during cheder?
(a) Write a passage on the chalk board.
(b) Recite a passage.
(c) Serve the rabbi tea.
(d) Read before the rabbi's supervisor.
9. Who does David tell the rabbis is truly his aunt?
(a) He doesn't have an aunt.
(c) Mrs. Mink.
10. Where does the rabbi send David from cheder in Book IV?
(a) The cellar.
(c) The store.
(d) The coat room.
11. What does David realize about the story the boys who chase the bird tell him?
(a) The boys actually killed the bird.
(b) It is all a lie.
(c) The woman is his mother.
(d) The woman is his Aunt Bertha.
12. Who does David meet in Book IV, Chapters 5-6
(b) A group of girls.
(c) A group of boys.
13. What does David do when he reaches the top of the stairs after returning home from cheder in Book IV, Chapters 1-4?
(a) Bangs on the door.
(b) Falls asleep.
(c) Sits on the step and waits.
(d) Reads a book.
14. Where does David find the item he brings Albert to beat him with?
(a) Under the couch.
(b) Albert's dresser drawer.
(c) In the bathroom.
(d) The kitchen.
15. Why does Albert take part of another milkman's route?
(a) The other man is on vacation
(b) The other man quit.
(c) The other man is injured.
(d) The other man was fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does David tell the rabbis told him the truth about his parents?
2. What happens while Esther and Polly are fighting?
3. Whose job is it to protect the wagon and the milk while the milk is being delivered?
4. What does David give Albert to beat him with when Albert learns about the events at Bertha's?
5. Who urges David to run outside until Albert's anger subsides?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)