|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David realize about the story the boys who chase the bird tell him?
(a) The woman is his Aunt Bertha.
(b) The woman is his mother.
(c) The boys actually killed the bird.
(d) It is all a lie.
2. Why does Leo want to meet David's cousins?
(a) He would like a job at the candy store.
(b) He is lonely.
(c) He hopes to fondle them.
(d) He doesn't know any girls.
3. The morning after he hears about the bird chase, what does David find on the adjacent roof?
(a) A beautiful girl.
(b) A cat.
(c) The canary.
(d) A boy flying a kite.
4. Who tries to stop Nathan from telling David's parents about what David and Leo did earlier in the day?
5. How do Leo and David avoid being seen by Bertha?
(a) They duck.
(b) They hide under a bed.
(c) They go to the back of the house.
(d) They hide in a closet.
6. After leaving home following the milk route incident, when does David plan to return home?
(a) After sunset.
(c) At dinner time.
(d) After Albert goes to bed.
7. Where do Leo and Esther go to be alone?
(a) Esther's bedroom.
(b) Behind the candy store.
(c) Into the storage cellar.
(d) Leo's bedroom.
8. Who is punched into unconsciousness after the milk is stolen?
(a) One of the theives.
(c) A store owner.
9. What soothes David following the milk route incident?
(a) His mother's love.
(b) Looking out the skylight window.
(c) His blanket.
(d) Thinking about God.
10. Who looks after Leo during the day?
(a) His mother.
(d) Mrs. Mink.
11. What does David plan to throw on the trolley rail after he is punished for lying and helping Leo make advances on Nathan's daughter?
(a) His belt.
(b) A coin.
(c) A metal dipper.
12. Whose job is it to protect the wagon and the milk while the milk is being delivered?
(b) A hired guard.
(c) A policeman.
13. David runs from Bertha's to where?
(a) The roof.
(b) Leo's house.
(c) The river.
(d) The cheder school.
14. Why does David's mother take so long to open the door?
(a) She is bathing.
(b) She is cooking.
(c) She is asleep.
(d) She is doing the laundry.
15. Where does Leo often go to play?
(a) His old neighborhood.
(b) Behind the school.
(c) The cellar.
(d) To Bertha's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear that David had when he was younger returns in Book IV?
2. What does David give Albert to beat him with when Albert learns about the events at Bertha's?
3. How does David feel about the roof of his apartment building?
4. Where does the rabbi send David from cheder in Book IV?
5. Why do the boys began to chase the bird?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)