|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the rabbi send David from cheder in Book IV?
(a) The coat room.
(b) The cellar.
(d) The store.
2. As David returns home from Bertha's, who is he told is looking for him?
3. The morning after he hears about the bird chase, what does David find on the adjacent roof?
(a) A cat.
(b) A beautiful girl.
(c) The canary.
(d) A boy flying a kite.
4. Who does Albert instruct David not to tell about the events during the milk route?
(a) David's mother.
(b) The rabbi.
(c) Albert's boss.
(d) The policemen.
5. Why does David's mother take so long to open the door?
(a) She is bathing.
(b) She is cooking.
(c) She is asleep.
(d) She is doing the laundry.
6. Who does Bertha have David wake up?
(c) Her employee.
(d) Her stepdaughters.
7. Following the event with Leo and his cousin, what does David do during cheder?
(b) Yell at the rabbi.
(c) Get in a fight.
(d) Talk out of turn.
8. What does David convince himself of while he roams the streets after lying to the rabbis?
(a) That no one will find out about his lies.
(b) That he can tell his parents the rabbis are lying.
(c) That he can blame the incident at Bertha's on Leo and Esther.
(d) That no one will find out about Leo and Esther.
9. Who does David see as his refuge?
(d) His mother.
10. After leaving home following the milk route incident, when does David plan to return home?
(a) At dinner time.
(c) After Albert goes to bed.
(d) After sunset.
11. What kind of bird escapes from one of the flats?
(a) A parrot.
(b) A parakeet.
(c) A canary.
(d) A robin..
12. Whose job is it to protect the wagon and the milk while the milk is being delivered?
(b) A policeman.
(d) A hired guard.
13. After Albert drops David off from the milk route, where is he instructed to go?
(a) To cheder.
14. What soothes David following the milk route incident?
(a) Thinking about God.
(b) Looking out the skylight window.
(c) His mother's love.
(d) His blanket.
15. What does David find out about Albert's childhood?
(a) His mother was killed.
(b) Albert's father was abusive.
(c) It was very happy.
(d) He is an orphan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David pray for in Book IV?
2. Why does Leo want to meet David's cousins?
3. In the chapter "The Rail," what is David called on to do during cheder?
4. David runs from Bertha's to where?
5. Where does Leo often go to play?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)