|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Leo often go to play?
(a) His old neighborhood.
(b) The cellar.
(c) To Bertha's house.
(d) Behind the school.
2. Who chases after the milk thieves?
(a) A store owner.
(c) A policeman.
3. Where does David go to try to find a pair of roller skates?
(a) A skate shop.
(b) Bertha's candy store.
(c) The cellar.
(d) His mother's closet.
4. What kind of bird escapes from one of the flats?
(a) A parrot.
(b) A parakeet.
(c) A robin..
(d) A canary.
5. Who finds out what is going on between Leo and Esther and threatens to tell Bertha?
6. What does David plan to throw on the trolley rail after he is punished for lying and helping Leo make advances on Nathan's daughter?
(a) A metal dipper.
(b) His belt.
(c) A coin.
7. Where does the rabbi send David from cheder in Book IV?
(a) The store.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The coat room.
8. What does Leo help Esther with?
(b) Putting on her skates.
(c) Her dress.
(d) Tying a knot.
9. Who does Leo tell David killed Jesus?
10. Following the event with Leo and his cousin, what does David do during cheder?
(b) Talk out of turn.
(c) Yell at the rabbi.
(d) Get in a fight.
11. David runs from Bertha's to where?
(a) The cheder school.
(b) Leo's house.
(c) The roof.
(d) The river.
12. What does David give Albert to beat him with when Albert learns about the events at Bertha's?
(a) A broken whip.
(b) A belt.
(c) A paddle.
(d) A wooden spoon.
13. What does David find out about Albert's childhood?
(a) It was very happy.
(b) Albert's father was abusive.
(c) He is an orphan.
(d) His mother was killed.
14. What accusation does Albert make against Genya in Book IV, Chapters 15-20?
(a) She cheated on him.
(b) She killed someone.
(c) She stole money.
(d) David is really the Christian's son.
15. After the milk is stolen, what does Albert hit David with?
(a) The reins.
(b) A milk bottle.
(c) A club.
(d) A whip.
Short Answer Questions
1. During cheder, who insists that David tell what is bothering him?
2. Who tries to stop Nathan from telling David's parents about what David and Leo did earlier in the day?
3. Where does Leo's mother work?
4. When David arrives home after lying at cheder, who is there talking to his parents?
5. How do Leo and David avoid being seen by Bertha?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)