|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose job is it to protect the wagon and the milk while the milk is being delivered?
(a) A policeman.
(c) A hired guard.
2. Where does Leo's mother work?
(a) At a diner.
(b) At the school.
(c) In a bank as a custodian.
(d) In a factory.
3. In the chapter "The Rail," what is David called on to do during cheder?
(a) Serve the rabbi tea.
(b) Read before the rabbi's supervisor.
(c) Recite a passage.
(d) Write a passage on the chalk board.
4. What lie does David tell the rabbis about his father?
(a) His father is an organist in Europe.
(b) He never knew his father.
(c) His father is Nathan.
(d) His father is dead.
5. What falls from David's pocket as he is being beaten?
(a) A rosary.
(b) A phone number.
(c) A dirty picture.
6. Who is punched into unconsciousness after the milk is stolen?
(a) One of the theives.
(d) A store owner.
7. What does David pray for in Book IV?
(a) That he can stay at Bertha's.
(b) A job.
(c) That his father is not home.
(d) A dog.
8. What does David plan to throw on the trolley rail after he is punished for lying and helping Leo make advances on Nathan's daughter?
(a) A metal dipper.
(c) A coin.
(d) His belt.
9. What does David give Albert to beat him with when Albert learns about the events at Bertha's?
(a) A wooden spoon.
(b) A belt.
(c) A broken whip.
(d) A paddle.
10. What do the boys who chased the bird begin to talk about on the roof?
(b) The woman's anatomy.
11. After Albert drops David off from the milk route, where is he instructed to go?
(b) To cheder.
12. What lie does David tell the rabbis about his mother?
(a) She is dying.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is abusive.
(d) She is pregnant.
13. Why does Albert take part of another milkman's route?
(a) The other man quit.
(b) The other man is injured.
(c) The other man is on vacation
(d) The other man was fired.
14. Where do Leo and Esther go to be alone?
(a) Leo's bedroom.
(b) Into the storage cellar.
(c) Behind the candy store.
(d) Esther's bedroom.
15. Who forces David to go somewhere during his hallucination?
(c) An angel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear that David had when he was younger returns in Book IV?
2. Who chases after the milk thieves?
3. What do the boys see through a window while chasing the bird?
4. Where does Leo often go to play?
5. Why does David consider running away when the milk is stolen?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)