|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fear that David had when he was younger returns in Book IV?
(a) Dark hallways and cellars.
2. After Albert's father was gored by a bull, what did Albert do to help him?
(a) Ran for his mother.
(b) Chased the bull away.
(c) Called a doctor.
3. During cheder, who insists that David tell what is bothering him?
(a) Nathan and Bertha.
(b) Albert and Genya.
(c) Esther and Polly.
(d) The rabbis.
4. What does David plan to throw on the trolley rail after he is punished for lying and helping Leo make advances on Nathan's daughter?
(a) His belt.
(b) A metal dipper.
(c) A coin.
5. Where does David go to avoid his father's return when he gets home after going on the milk route with Albert?
(a) His room.
(b) Bertha's candy store.
(d) The cellar.
6. What does David give Albert to beat him with when Albert learns about the events at Bertha's?
(a) A wooden spoon.
(b) A paddle.
(c) A belt.
(d) A broken whip.
7. Who does David see as his refuge?
(d) His mother.
8. Where does Leo's mother work?
(a) At the school.
(b) In a factory.
(c) In a bank as a custodian.
(d) At a diner.
9. What religion is Leo?
10. What does David find out about Albert's childhood?
(a) He is an orphan.
(b) It was very happy.
(c) His mother was killed.
(d) Albert's father was abusive.
11. What kind of bird escapes from one of the flats?
(a) A canary.
(b) A parakeet.
(c) A robin..
(d) A parrot.
12. Who does David meet in Book IV, Chapters 5-6
(b) A group of girls.
(d) A group of boys.
13. What falls from David's pocket as he is being beaten?
(b) A rosary.
(c) A dirty picture.
(d) A phone number.
14. What happens while Esther and Polly are fighting?
(a) Esther accidently hits David.
(b) Bertha comes in.
(c) Their nightgowns fly up.
(d) Esther gives Polly a bloody nose.
15. Who urges David to run outside until Albert's anger subsides?
(b) The rabbi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys see through a window while chasing the bird?
2. Why does David consider running away when the milk is stolen?
3. Who finds out what is going on between Leo and Esther and threatens to tell Bertha?
4. What do the boys who chased the bird begin to talk about on the roof?
5. Who does David tell the rabbis told him the truth about his parents?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)