|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Leo's father?
(a) Leo's mother never married him.
(b) He was put in a mental institution.
(c) He divorced Leo's mother.
(d) He was killed.
2. What does David do when he reaches the top of the stairs after returning home from cheder in Book IV, Chapters 1-4?
(a) Falls asleep.
(b) Reads a book.
(c) Sits on the step and waits.
(d) Bangs on the door.
3. Who does Bertha have David wake up?
(a) Her stepdaughters.
(c) Her employee.
4. What fear that David had when he was younger returns in Book IV?
(b) Dark hallways and cellars.
5. Who urges David to run outside until Albert's anger subsides?
(c) The rabbi.
6. What does David plan to throw on the trolley rail after he is punished for lying and helping Leo make advances on Nathan's daughter?
(b) His belt.
(c) A metal dipper.
(d) A coin.
7. Where does Leo's mother work?
(a) In a factory.
(b) At the school.
(c) In a bank as a custodian.
(d) At a diner.
8. Why do the boys began to chase the bird?
(a) They want to keep the bird.
(b) To sell the bird.
(c) For the reward and the adventure.
(d) To give it to a cat.
9. When David arrives home after lying at cheder, who is there talking to his parents?
(a) The rabbis.
10. Where does David go to avoid his father's return when he gets home after going on the milk route with Albert?
(a) Bertha's candy store.
(c) His room.
(d) The cellar.
11. After the milk is stolen, what does Albert hit David with?
(a) A milk bottle.
(b) A whip.
(c) The reins.
(d) A club.
12. Whose picture is on the wall in Leo's house?
(b) The president.
(d) A famous actor.
13. What does David pray for in Book IV?
(a) That his father is not home.
(b) A job.
(c) A dog.
(d) That he can stay at Bertha's.
14. Who does Leo tell David killed Jesus?
15. What does David convince himself of while he roams the streets after lying to the rabbis?
(a) That he can blame the incident at Bertha's on Leo and Esther.
(b) That he can tell his parents the rabbis are lying.
(c) That no one will find out about Leo and Esther.
(d) That no one will find out about his lies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David consider running away when the milk is stolen?
2. Who does David meet in Book IV, Chapters 5-6
3. What is Leo doing when David finds him after returning from Bertha's?
4. David runs from Bertha's to where?
5. Where does the rabbi send David from cheder in Book IV?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)