|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When David arrives home after lying at cheder, who is there talking to his parents?
(d) The rabbis.
2. What do the boys who chased the bird begin to talk about on the roof?
(b) The woman's anatomy.
3. Who does David see as his refuge?
(d) His mother.
4. What does David realize about the story the boys who chase the bird tell him?
(a) The woman is his mother.
(b) It is all a lie.
(c) The woman is his Aunt Bertha.
(d) The boys actually killed the bird.
5. Who does David meet in Book IV, Chapters 5-6
(a) A group of boys.
(b) A group of girls.
6. Where does David go to avoid his father's return when he gets home after going on the milk route with Albert?
(a) Bertha's candy store.
(b) His room.
(d) The cellar.
7. What does David convince himself of while he roams the streets after lying to the rabbis?
(a) That no one will find out about Leo and Esther.
(b) That no one will find out about his lies.
(c) That he can tell his parents the rabbis are lying.
(d) That he can blame the incident at Bertha's on Leo and Esther.
8. What does David sit on in front of a store while he waits for Albert to calm down after beating him?
(a) A log.
(b) The step.
(c) Milk cans.
(d) A chair.
9. David runs from Bertha's to where?
(a) The river.
(b) The roof.
(c) Leo's house.
(d) The cheder school.
10. What happened to Leo's father?
(a) He divorced Leo's mother.
(b) He was killed.
(c) He was put in a mental institution.
(d) Leo's mother never married him.
11. Who does David tell the rabbis is truly his aunt?
(a) He doesn't have an aunt.
(b) Mrs. Mink.
12. Who urges David to run outside until Albert's anger subsides?
(c) The rabbi.
13. What does David find out about Albert's childhood?
(a) He is an orphan.
(b) Albert's father was abusive.
(c) His mother was killed.
(d) It was very happy.
14. What fear that David had when he was younger returns in Book IV?
(d) Dark hallways and cellars.
15. Whose job is it to protect the wagon and the milk while the milk is being delivered?
(b) A hired guard.
(c) A policeman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose picture is on the wall in Leo's house?
2. What is Leo's last name?
3. What lie does David tell the rabbis about his mother?
4. How does David feel about the roof of his apartment building?
5. Who chases after the milk thieves?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)