|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leo help Esther with?
(a) Tying a knot.
(b) Putting on her skates.
(d) Her dress.
2. Who does Albert instruct David not to tell about the events during the milk route?
(a) The rabbi.
(b) Albert's boss.
(c) The policemen.
(d) David's mother.
3. Who does David tell the rabbis told him the truth about his parents?
4. What does David do when he reaches the top of the stairs after returning home from cheder in Book IV, Chapters 1-4?
(a) Bangs on the door.
(b) Falls asleep.
(c) Reads a book.
(d) Sits on the step and waits.
5. The morning after he hears about the bird chase, what does David find on the adjacent roof?
(a) The canary.
(b) A boy flying a kite.
(c) A cat.
(d) A beautiful girl.
6. During cheder, who insists that David tell what is bothering him?
(a) Albert and Genya.
(b) The rabbis.
(c) Nathan and Bertha.
(d) Esther and Polly.
7. Who does Leo tell David killed Jesus?
8. Who does David meet in Book IV, Chapters 5-6
(a) A group of boys.
(d) A group of girls.
9. Whose picture is on the wall in Leo's house?
(b) The president.
(c) A famous actor.
10. What does David pray for in Book IV?
(a) That his father is not home.
(b) That he can stay at Bertha's.
(c) A job.
(d) A dog.
11. Who finds out what is going on between Leo and Esther and threatens to tell Bertha?
12. Who urges David to run outside until Albert's anger subsides?
(b) The rabbi.
13. As David returns home from Bertha's, who is he told is looking for him?
14. David runs from Bertha's to where?
(a) The roof.
(b) The cheder school.
(c) Leo's house.
(d) The river.
15. Why does David's mother take so long to open the door?
(a) She is doing the laundry.
(b) She is asleep.
(c) She is bathing.
(d) She is cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who forces David to go somewhere during his hallucination?
2. Who tries to stop Nathan from telling David's parents about what David and Leo did earlier in the day?
3. Following the event with Leo and his cousin, what does David do during cheder?
4. Where does David go to try to find a pair of roller skates?
5. Where does Leo's mother work?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)