|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David consider running away when the milk is stolen?
(a) He will have to pay for the stolen milk.
(b) He is bored.
(c) He is afraid of Albert's reaction.
(d) He thinks he will be blamed for the theft.
2. Who finds out what is going on between Leo and Esther and threatens to tell Bertha?
3. What does Leo help Esther with?
(a) Her dress.
(c) Putting on her skates.
(d) Tying a knot.
4. What does David do when he reaches the top of the stairs after returning home from cheder in Book IV, Chapters 1-4?
(a) Bangs on the door.
(b) Reads a book.
(c) Falls asleep.
(d) Sits on the step and waits.
5. Who tries to stop Nathan from telling David's parents about what David and Leo did earlier in the day?
6. What soothes David following the milk route incident?
(a) Thinking about God.
(b) Looking out the skylight window.
(c) His mother's love.
(d) His blanket.
7. What happened to Leo's father?
(a) He divorced Leo's mother.
(b) He was killed.
(c) Leo's mother never married him.
(d) He was put in a mental institution.
8. Who does David see as his refuge?
(d) His mother.
9. Whose picture is on the wall in Leo's house?
(a) The president.
(d) A famous actor.
10. What does David plan to throw on the trolley rail after he is punished for lying and helping Leo make advances on Nathan's daughter?
(a) A metal dipper.
(c) His belt.
(d) A coin.
11. What does Leo bribe David with to introduce him to his step cousins?
(a) A dirty picture.
(b) His skates.
(c) A broken rosary.
12. What lie does David tell the rabbis about his father?
(a) He never knew his father.
(b) His father is an organist in Europe.
(c) His father is dead.
(d) His father is Nathan.
13. What does David pray for in Book IV?
(a) A job.
(b) That his father is not home.
(c) That he can stay at Bertha's.
(d) A dog.
14. During cheder, who insists that David tell what is bothering him?
(a) Albert and Genya.
(b) Nathan and Bertha.
(c) The rabbis.
(d) Esther and Polly.
15. Where is David moved to immediately after he is electrocuted?
(a) The cobbles.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The rails.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys who chased the bird begin to talk about on the roof?
2. Where do Leo and Esther go to be alone?
3. How much milk is stolen from the wagon?
4. Where does Leo often go to play?
5. How old is Leo?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)