|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finds out what is going on between Leo and Esther and threatens to tell Bertha?
2. Where does the rabbi send David from cheder in Book IV?
(b) The store.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The coat room.
3. What does David convince himself of while he roams the streets after lying to the rabbis?
(a) That no one will find out about Leo and Esther.
(b) That no one will find out about his lies.
(c) That he can blame the incident at Bertha's on Leo and Esther.
(d) That he can tell his parents the rabbis are lying.
4. What lie does David tell the rabbis about his mother?
(a) She is abusive.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She is dying.
5. What does David realize about the story the boys who chase the bird tell him?
(a) The woman is his Aunt Bertha.
(b) It is all a lie.
(c) The woman is his mother.
(d) The boys actually killed the bird.
6. Who does David see as his refuge?
(a) His mother.
7. What religion is Leo?
8. What does David give Albert to beat him with when Albert learns about the events at Bertha's?
(a) A paddle.
(b) A wooden spoon.
(c) A belt.
(d) A broken whip.
9. Who does Leo tell David killed Jesus?
10. What kind of bird escapes from one of the flats?
(a) A parakeet.
(b) A parrot.
(c) A canary.
(d) A robin..
11. Who tries to stop Nathan from telling David's parents about what David and Leo did earlier in the day?
12. How does David feel about the roof of his apartment building?
(a) It scares him.
(b) He wishes he could bring all his friends there.
(c) It brings him peace and solitude.
(d) He thinks it is ugly.
13. During cheder, who insists that David tell what is bothering him?
(a) Nathan and Bertha.
(b) The rabbis.
(c) Albert and Genya.
(d) Esther and Polly.
14. What does David pray for in Book IV?
(a) That he can stay at Bertha's.
(b) That his father is not home.
(c) A job.
(d) A dog.
15. Where does David go after leaving the boys who chase the bird?
(b) The river.
(c) The roof of his own building.
(d) Leo's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is David moved to immediately after he is electrocuted?
2. What does Leo bribe David with to introduce him to his step cousins?
3. What lie does David tell the rabbis about his father?
4. Where do Leo and Esther go to be alone?
5. How old is Leo?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)