|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
2. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
(a) Being buried in the earth forever.
(b) Going to Hell.
(c) Not seeing his mother.
(d) Being cold.
3. Who is Mrs. Mink?
(a) Luter's fiancee.
(b) Leo's mother.
(c) David's teacher.
(d) Yussie's mother.
4. How does Albert treat Nathan when he came to dinner?
(a) He barely acknowledges Nathan.
(b) He insults Nathan openly.
(c) He is very kind.
(d) He is welcoming.
5. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
(d) Ride horses.
6. What do the chants and rhymes of the girls playing remind David of?
(a) Rivers, roads, and trees.
(b) Sheep in a field.
(c) A sister that died.
(d) Being teased.
7. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
8. Why does Luter often come over to the Shearl's house?
(a) To play with David.
(b) To fix things around the apartment.
(c) To drive Albert to work.
(d) For dinner.
9. How old is David when the book begins?
(a) A toddler.
(b) A young man.
(c) A school-aged boy.
(d) A teenager.
10. Who babysits David while his parents go out in Book I?
(a) Mrs. Mink.
11. How does David feel about Luter's frequent visits?
12. What kind of shop do Nathan and Bertha plan to open?
(a) A candy shop.
(b) A book shop.
(c) A newspaper stand.
(d) A shoe store.
13. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
14. Where is Bertha from?
15. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
(a) The cheder school.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The police station.
(d) Leo's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
2. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
3. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
4. Where was David born?
5. What kind of job does Albert look for after he leaves his job at Dolman's Press?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)