|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does David read from a blue book after the incident with the group of boys at the trolley rails?
(a) The Ten Commandments.
(b) Isaiah and the coal.
(d) David and Goliath.
2. How old is David when the book begins?
(a) A toddler.
(b) A young man.
(c) A teenager.
(d) A school-aged boy.
3. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
(a) His parents forbid it.
(b) He married someone else.
(c) He died.
(d) She didn't love him anymore.
4. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
5. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
(a) He wanted her husband to take care of her.
(b) He and his wife wanted to be alone.
(c) He wanted the best for her.
(d) She was "ruined."
6. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
(c) The neighborhood.
(d) In stores.
7. What kind of shop do Nathan and Bertha plan to open?
(a) A newspaper stand.
(b) A shoe store.
(c) A candy shop.
(d) A book shop.
8. What language do Genya and Bertha talk in that David cannot understand?
9. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
(a) Exactly like Genya.
(b) Successful and together.
(d) Disheveled and slovenly.
10. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
(c) Ride horses.
11. What faith is the Schearl family?
12. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
13. What do the chants and rhymes of the girls playing remind David of?
(a) Rivers, roads, and trees.
(b) Sheep in a field.
(c) A sister that died.
(d) Being teased.
14. What does David do to earn a penny from an old woman?
(a) Carry her bags up the stairs.
(b) Help her cross the street.
(c) Light a lamp.
(d) Go to the store for her.
15. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
(a) Much prettier.
(b) More submissive.
(c) The complete opposite.
(d) Very much alike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
2. Why does Albert send David into his workplace alone?
3. Why does Luter often come over to the Shearl's house?
4. What does Rabbi Yidel teach David?
5. What was Genya's father's reaction to her affair?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)