|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What faith is the Schearl family?
2. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
(a) He runs into the boy during a game of catch.
(b) The boy calls him a dirty Jew.
(c) Yussie and the boys tease him about Albert beating him.
(d) The boy speaks about Genya in a lewd manner.
3. When David runs into a group of boys, what do they plan to drop on the trolley rail?
(a) A metal wire.
(b) A spike.
(c) A stick.
(d) A piece of pipe.
4. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
(a) Being her own boss.
(b) Choosing the candies.
(c) Having employees to boss around.
(d) Being free to raise her children.
5. What do the boys want to cause with the trolley rail?
(a) An electric flash.
(b) A fire.
(c) An arch.
(d) A black out.
6. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
(b) Urinating in the snow.
(c) Throwing rocks at pigeons.
7. What story does David read from a blue book after the incident with the group of boys at the trolley rails?
(a) Isaiah and the coal.
(b) David and Goliath.
(c) The Ten Commandments.
8. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
9. What year is it when the book begins?
10. How does Albert treat Nathan when he came to dinner?
(a) He barely acknowledges Nathan.
(b) He is welcoming.
(c) He is very kind.
(d) He insults Nathan openly.
11. What is David's reaction when he sees a funeral procession for the first time?
(a) David is excited.
(b) David is curious.
(c) David is sad.
(d) David is frightened.
12. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
(a) The neighborhood.
(c) In stores.
13. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
(c) David's grandmother.
14. What does Rabbi Yidel give David for reading an entire passage in Hebrew?
(a) A nickel.
(b) A piece of candy.
(c) A penny.
(d) A dime.
15. Who starts to take David to museums and landmarks?
(a) Mrs. Mink.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is David in Book I?
2. Where is Bertha from?
3. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
4. What does David's mother purchase to place in their kitchen?
5. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)