|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
(a) Not seeing his mother.
(b) Being buried in the earth forever.
(c) Being cold.
(d) Going to Hell.
2. Who babysits David while his parents go out in Book I?
(b) Mrs. Mink.
3. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
(a) His bedroom.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The skylight window.
4. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
(a) At the dentist's office.
(b) On the bus.
(c) At church.
(d) At work.
5. Why does Albert send David into his workplace alone?
(a) To beg for Albert's job.
(b) To collect Albert's things and his final paycheck.
(c) To ask the boss for a job for Genya.
(d) To tell Albert's boss Albert is ill.
6. What does David think the coal used to cleanse Isaiah's mouth might be?
(c) White but not hot.
(d) Black and hot.
7. What was Genya's father's reaction to her affair?
(a) He didn't care.
(b) He was sorry it ended.
(c) He verbally and physically abused her.
(d) He was quiet and sad.
8. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
(a) The police station.
(b) Leo's house.
(c) The cheder school.
(d) The hospital.
9. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
(a) Very much alike.
(b) More submissive.
(c) The complete opposite.
(d) Much prettier.
10. What is on the bottom floor of the flat David and his family live in at the beginning of the book?
(a) A candy store.
(b) The cellar.
(c) More apartments.
(d) A bookstore.
11. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
(a) Yussie kicks him first.
(b) Yussie calls Genya ugly.
(c) Yussie hits him with a hanger.
(d) Yussie teases David about Annie.
12. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
(a) The cheder school.
(b) His home.
(c) A candy store.
(d) The elementry school.
13. In Book I, why is Albert fired from his job?
(a) He was caught drinking on the job.
(b) He made too many errors in his work.
(c) He threatened his coworkers.
(d) He missed too many days of work.
14. Where is Luter from?
15. What kind of shop do Nathan and Bertha plan to open?
(a) A newspaper stand.
(b) A book shop.
(c) A candy shop.
(d) A shoe store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
2. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
3. Who used coal to cleanse Isaiah's mouth?
4. Who starts to take David to museums and landmarks?
5. How old is David when the book begins?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)