|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who starts to take David to museums and landmarks?
(d) Mrs. Mink.
2. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
3. Why does Luter stop coming to the Shearl's for dinner?
(a) He overhears Genya calling him ugly.
(b) Genya slaps him.
(c) He has an argument with Albert.
(d) He is going to a marriage broker.
4. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
(a) Leo's house.
(b) The cheder school.
(c) The police station.
(d) The hospital.
5. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
(a) Polish and English.
(b) Spanish and German.
(c) Yiddish and English.
(d) Italian and German.
6. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
7. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
(a) At church.
(b) At work.
(c) At the dentist's office.
(d) On the bus.
8. What effect do the quiet and the water of the river have on David?
(a) He goes swimming.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) They bore him.
(d) They mesmerizes him.
9. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
(a) The highest number of immigrants are processed there.
(b) There is a bombing.
(c) The President gives a historic speech there.
(d) There is an earthquake.
10. What kind of shop do Nathan and Bertha plan to open?
(a) A shoe store.
(b) A book shop.
(c) A newspaper stand.
(d) A candy shop.
11. How does David feel about Luter's frequent visits?
12. Who dominates the dinner conversation when Nathan comes to dinner?
13. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
(a) In stores.
(b) The neighborhood.
14. After the dinner with Nathan and the family becomes tense, what does Nathan suggest?
(a) That David leave the table.
(b) That he and Bertha go for a walk.
(c) That he leave.
(d) That he and Albert step outside.
15. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
(d) David's grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Albert view Bertha?
2. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
3. What is David's reaction when he sees a funeral procession for the first time?
4. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
5. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)