|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who babysits David while his parents go out in Book I?
(b) Mrs. Mink.
2. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
(a) The cheder school.
(b) His home.
(c) A candy store.
(d) The elementry school.
3. What signal reminds David to return home at the end of the day when he is playing outside?
(a) His mother calls him.
(b) A whistle signaling quitting time.
(c) His father arriving home.
(d) The other children returning home.
4. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
(a) The neighborhood.
(b) In stores.
5. According to David's mother, who is brighter than the brightest day?
(b) The devil.
(d) An angel.
6. How does Rabbi Yidel feel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
7. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
8. Where does David go to burn the chumitz?
(a) The East River.
(b) The roof.
(c) The harbor.
(d) The ally.
9. What do the boys want to cause with the trolley rail?
(a) An arch.
(b) A fire.
(c) An electric flash.
(d) A black out.
10. When David runs into a group of boys, what do they plan to drop on the trolley rail?
(a) A piece of pipe.
(b) A metal wire.
(c) A spike.
(d) A stick.
11. Who dominates the dinner conversation when Nathan comes to dinner?
12. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
13. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
(a) A Buddhist.
(b) A goy church organist.
(c) A rich Jewish man.
(d) A rabbi.
14. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
(a) She was "ruined."
(b) He wanted her husband to take care of her.
(c) He and his wife wanted to be alone.
(d) He wanted the best for her.
15. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
(a) A candle.
(c) A wooden spoon.
(d) A bowl of oil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
2. How does Albert treat Nathan when he came to dinner?
3. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
4. Where is Luter from?
5. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)