|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
(c) Ride horses.
2. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
(a) There is a bombing.
(b) The President gives a historic speech there.
(c) There is an earthquake.
(d) The highest number of immigrants are processed there.
3. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
(a) On the bus.
(b) At work.
(c) At church.
(d) At the dentist's office.
4. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
(a) More submissive.
(b) Very much alike.
(c) Much prettier.
(d) The complete opposite.
5. What is the coming of age celebration for Jewish boys?
(c) Bar Mitzvah.
6. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
(a) He wanted the best for her.
(b) He wanted her husband to take care of her.
(c) He and his wife wanted to be alone.
(d) She was "ruined."
7. Where was David born?
8. What effect do the quiet and the water of the river have on David?
(a) They bore him.
(b) He goes swimming.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) They mesmerizes him.
9. How does Albert react to David when David first arrives in New York?
(a) Albert hugs David.
(b) Albert is overjoyed to see David.
(c) Albert criticizes David.
(d) Albert ignores David.
10. Who is dousing all the small fires set to burn the chumitz?
(a) A street cleaner.
(b) A fireman.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A mail man.
11. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
(b) Urinating in the snow.
(c) Throwing rocks at pigeons.
12. Who is Mrs. Mink?
(a) Yussie's mother.
(b) David's teacher.
(c) Leo's mother.
(d) Luter's fiancee.
13. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
(a) The cheder school.
(b) His home.
(c) The elementry school.
(d) A candy store.
14. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
(a) Leo's house.
(b) The police station.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The cheder school.
15. According to David's mother, who is brighter than the brightest day?
(a) The devil.
(b) An angel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
2. What does David do to anger his father when Luter comes for Friday Sabbath dinner?
3. What kind of job does Albert look for after he leaves his job at Dolman's Press?
4. After the dinner with Nathan and the family becomes tense, what does Nathan suggest?
5. Where do David and his family move to after Albert gets a job as a milkman?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)