|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Albert that causes him to leave work before he can lash out at Luter?
(a) Luter quits.
(b) He is fired.
(c) He is promoted.
(d) He injurs his thumb.
2. What is on the bottom floor of the flat David and his family live in at the beginning of the book?
(a) A candy store.
(b) A bookstore.
(c) The cellar.
(d) More apartments.
3. What does David do to anger his father when Luter comes for Friday Sabbath dinner?
(a) Talks out of turn.
(b) Fails to offer Luter wine.
(d) Spills soup.
4. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
(a) A newspaper.
5. Why does Luter often come over to the Shearl's house?
(a) To fix things around the apartment.
(b) To drive Albert to work.
(c) For dinner.
(d) To play with David.
6. Why does Luter stop coming to the Shearl's for dinner?
(a) He is going to a marriage broker.
(b) He has an argument with Albert.
(c) He overhears Genya calling him ugly.
(d) Genya slaps him.
7. What does Genya make Albert promise never to do again after David kicks Yussie?
(a) Beat David.
(b) Leave David alone.
(c) Speak to Yussie again.
(d) Allow the boys to play together.
8. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
(a) A goy church organist.
(b) A Buddhist.
(c) A rich Jewish man.
(d) A rabbi.
9. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
(b) Throwing rocks at pigeons.
(d) Urinating in the snow.
10. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
(a) Luter is in love with Albert.
(b) Luter plans to kidnap David.
(c) Luter wants to have an affair with her.
(d) Luter is lonely.
11. What new thing for David is included in dinner when Luter first comes to visit?
(a) Dinner rolls.
(c) Table manners.
12. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
(a) An atheist.
(b) A poor man.
(c) A Christian.
(d) A handsome man.
13. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
14. What kind of job does Albert look for after he leaves his job at Dolman's Press?
(a) His own store.
(b) One where he can boss other people around.
(d) One where he can be his own boss and work outside.
15. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
(b) The neighborhood.
(c) In stores.
Short Answer Questions
1. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
2. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
3. What does Rabbi Yidel give David for reading an entire passage in Hebrew?
4. What effect do the quiet and the water of the river have on David?
5. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)