|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
2. What language do Genya and Bertha talk in that David cannot understand?
3. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
(a) Minor sin.
(b) Great honor.
(c) A sign of luck.
(d) Major sin.
4. What is the coming of age celebration for Jewish boys?
(a) Bar Mitzvah.
5. When David runs into a group of boys, what do they plan to drop on the trolley rail?
(a) A piece of pipe.
(b) A metal wire.
(c) A stick.
(d) A spike.
6. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
(a) The boy calls him a dirty Jew.
(b) He runs into the boy during a game of catch.
(c) The boy speaks about Genya in a lewd manner.
(d) Yussie and the boys tease him about Albert beating him.
7. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
(a) He died.
(b) She didn't love him anymore.
(c) His parents forbid it.
(d) He married someone else.
8. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
(a) A rabbi.
(b) A Buddhist.
(c) A rich Jewish man.
(d) A goy church organist.
9. Where does David put the calendar pages he tears from the calendar every day?
(a) In a shoe box.
(b) In the garbage.
(c) In the fireplace.
(d) Under his bed.
10. What story does David read from a blue book after the incident with the group of boys at the trolley rails?
(a) The Ten Commandments.
(c) Isaiah and the coal.
(d) David and Goliath.
11. Why does Luter stop coming to the Shearl's for dinner?
(a) He overhears Genya calling him ugly.
(b) He is going to a marriage broker.
(c) Genya slaps him.
(d) He has an argument with Albert.
12. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
13. What effect do the quiet and the water of the river have on David?
(a) They mesmerizes him.
(b) They bore him.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He goes swimming.
14. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
15. What does David do to earn a penny from an old woman?
(a) Help her cross the street.
(b) Carry her bags up the stairs.
(c) Light a lamp.
(d) Go to the store for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
2. Who starts to take David to museums and landmarks?
3. Who is Joe Luter?
4. Where was David born?
5. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)