|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Albert react to David when David first arrives in New York?
(a) Albert is overjoyed to see David.
(b) Albert ignores David.
(c) Albert hugs David.
(d) Albert criticizes David.
2. Who dominates the dinner conversation when Nathan comes to dinner?
3. What faith is the Schearl family?
4. What kind of job does Albert look for after he leaves his job at Dolman's Press?
(a) One where he can boss other people around.
(b) His own store.
(d) One where he can be his own boss and work outside.
5. What does David do to anger his father when Luter comes for Friday Sabbath dinner?
(b) Fails to offer Luter wine.
(c) Spills soup.
(d) Talks out of turn.
6. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
(a) The cellar.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) His bedroom.
(d) The skylight window.
7. Where does Albert get a job after he is fired?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) Finniman's Press.
(c) Dolman's Press.
(d) Bertha's Candy Shop.
8. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
(a) On the bus.
(b) At church.
(c) At the dentist's office.
(d) At work.
9. Where was David born?
10. Who is Joe Luter?
(a) Bertha's husband.
(b) Albert's foreman.
(c) Albert's cousin.
(d) Genya's uncle.
11. What does Rabbi Yidel give David for reading an entire passage in Hebrew?
(a) A penny.
(b) A piece of candy.
(c) A dime.
(d) A nickel.
12. How old is David in Book I?
13. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
14. Where is Bertha from?
15. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
(a) Throwing rocks at pigeons.
(c) Urinating in the snow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Luter from?
2. What does David think the coal used to cleanse Isaiah's mouth might be?
3. After the dinner with Nathan and the family becomes tense, what does Nathan suggest?
4. What is the coming of age celebration for Jewish boys?
5. What does Rabbi Yidel teach David?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)