|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Albert vow to do after being sent home from Dolman's Press?
(a) Get Luter fired.
(b) Kill Luter.
(c) Never return to Dolman's Press.
(d) Become a millionaire.
2. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
(a) The police station.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The cheder school.
(d) Leo's house.
3. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
(a) Urinating in the snow.
(d) Throwing rocks at pigeons.
4. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
(a) Minor sin.
(b) Major sin.
(c) Great honor.
(d) A sign of luck.
5. What kind of shop do Nathan and Bertha plan to open?
(a) A shoe store.
(b) A newspaper stand.
(c) A book shop.
(d) A candy shop.
6. What is on the bottom floor of the flat David and his family live in at the beginning of the book?
(a) A candy store.
(b) More apartments.
(c) A bookstore.
(d) The cellar.
7. What was Genya's father's reaction to her affair?
(a) He was quiet and sad.
(b) He was sorry it ended.
(c) He verbally and physically abused her.
(d) He didn't care.
8. When Luter finds out that Genya has never left the neighborhood, what does he give Albert and Genya?
(a) His car.
(b) Theater tickets.
(c) A map.
(d) Subway tickets.
9. After the dinner with Nathan and the family becomes tense, what does Nathan suggest?
(a) That he and Albert step outside.
(b) That he and Bertha go for a walk.
(c) That David leave the table.
(d) That he leave.
10. What does David do to anger his father when Luter comes for Friday Sabbath dinner?
(a) Spills soup.
(b) Talks out of turn.
(d) Fails to offer Luter wine.
11. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
(a) Luter is in love with Albert.
(b) Luter is lonely.
(c) Luter wants to have an affair with her.
(d) Luter plans to kidnap David.
12. Where was David born?
13. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
14. What year is it when the book begins?
15. When David runs into a group of boys, what do they plan to drop on the trolley rail?
(a) A piece of pipe.
(b) A stick.
(c) A metal wire.
(d) A spike.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
2. What does Genya make Albert promise never to do again after David kicks Yussie?
3. What do the boys want to cause with the trolley rail?
4. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
5. What does David do to earn a penny from an old woman?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)