|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
(a) Being buried in the earth forever.
(b) Not seeing his mother.
(c) Going to Hell.
(d) Being cold.
2. What year is it when the book begins?
3. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
4. What does Albert vow to do after being sent home from Dolman's Press?
(a) Never return to Dolman's Press.
(b) Get Luter fired.
(c) Become a millionaire.
(d) Kill Luter.
5. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
(a) A newspaper.
6. What does David think the coal used to cleanse Isaiah's mouth might be?
(b) Black and hot.
(d) White but not hot.
7. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
(b) Throwing rocks at pigeons.
(c) Urinating in the snow.
8. After the dinner with Nathan and the family becomes tense, what does Nathan suggest?
(a) That he leave.
(b) That he and Albert step outside.
(c) That David leave the table.
(d) That he and Bertha go for a walk.
9. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
(a) Choosing the candies.
(b) Being free to raise her children.
(c) Having employees to boss around.
(d) Being her own boss.
10. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
11. How old is David in Book I?
12. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
13. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
(a) At the dentist's office.
(b) At church.
(c) On the bus.
(d) At work.
14. How old is David when the book begins?
(a) A teenager.
(b) A toddler.
(c) A young man.
(d) A school-aged boy.
15. How does Rabbi Yidel feel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luter stop coming to the Shearl's for dinner?
2. What does Rabbi Yidel give David for reading an entire passage in Hebrew?
3. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
4. What do the boys want to cause with the trolley rail?
5. When Luter finds out that Genya has never left the neighborhood, what does he give Albert and Genya?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)