|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A poor man.
(c) An atheist.
(d) A handsome man.
2. What effect do the quiet and the water of the river have on David?
(a) He goes swimming.
(b) They mesmerizes him.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) They bore him.
3. Why does Luter stop coming to the Shearl's for dinner?
(a) He has an argument with Albert.
(b) He is going to a marriage broker.
(c) Genya slaps him.
(d) He overhears Genya calling him ugly.
4. What does Rabbi Yidel teach David?
5. When Luter finds out that Genya has never left the neighborhood, what does he give Albert and Genya?
(a) A map.
(b) Theater tickets.
(c) Subway tickets.
(d) His car.
6. What is on the bottom floor of the flat David and his family live in at the beginning of the book?
(a) The cellar.
(b) A candy store.
(c) A bookstore.
(d) More apartments.
7. Where does Albert get a job after he is fired?
(a) Dolman's Press.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Bertha's Candy Shop.
(d) Finniman's Press.
8. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
(c) A newspaper.
9. What does Genya make Albert promise never to do again after David kicks Yussie?
(a) Leave David alone.
(b) Beat David.
(c) Speak to Yussie again.
(d) Allow the boys to play together.
10. What story does David read from a blue book after the incident with the group of boys at the trolley rails?
(a) The Ten Commandments.
(b) Isaiah and the coal.
(d) David and Goliath.
11. How does David feel about Luter's frequent visits?
12. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
(a) David's grandmother.
13. Who is Mrs. Mink?
(a) David's teacher.
(b) Yussie's mother.
(c) Leo's mother.
(d) Luter's fiancee.
14. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
(a) On the bus.
(b) At church.
(c) At work.
(d) At the dentist's office.
15. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Genya marry Albert?
2. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
3. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
4. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
5. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)