|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does David feel about Luter's frequent visits?
2. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
(a) He runs into the boy during a game of catch.
(b) The boy speaks about Genya in a lewd manner.
(c) The boy calls him a dirty Jew.
(d) Yussie and the boys tease him about Albert beating him.
3. What year is it when the book begins?
4. What kind of shop do Nathan and Bertha plan to open?
(a) A book shop.
(b) A candy shop.
(c) A shoe store.
(d) A newspaper stand.
5. What does Annie try to do to David when Yussie leaves to get bread?
(a) Molest him.
(b) Hit him.
(c) Get him in trouble with his mother.
(d) Get him to play tea party.
6. How does Albert view Bertha?
(a) Beautiful and shy.
(c) Mean but pretty.
(d) Crude and uncivilized.
7. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
(c) A newspaper.
8. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
(d) David's grandmother.
9. Who is dousing all the small fires set to burn the chumitz?
(a) A mail man.
(b) A fireman.
(c) A street cleaner.
(d) A policeman.
10. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
(a) Minor sin.
(b) Major sin.
(c) Great honor.
(d) A sign of luck.
11. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
(a) A Buddhist.
(b) A goy church organist.
(c) A rabbi.
(d) A rich Jewish man.
12. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
(a) Yussie kicks him first.
(b) Yussie calls Genya ugly.
(c) Yussie hits him with a hanger.
(d) Yussie teases David about Annie.
13. Who is Joe Luter?
(a) Genya's uncle.
(b) Albert's foreman.
(c) Albert's cousin.
(d) Bertha's husband.
14. How old is David when the book begins?
(a) A young man.
(b) A toddler.
(c) A school-aged boy.
(d) A teenager.
15. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
2. What does Genya make Albert promise never to do again after David kicks Yussie?
3. Where was David born?
4. Why does Albert send David into his workplace alone?
5. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)