|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
(a) Yussie and the boys tease him about Albert beating him.
(b) He runs into the boy during a game of catch.
(c) The boy speaks about Genya in a lewd manner.
(d) The boy calls him a dirty Jew.
2. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
(a) Having employees to boss around.
(b) Being her own boss.
(c) Choosing the candies.
(d) Being free to raise her children.
3. In Book III, what does David begin to attend after school?
(a) Choir lessons.
(b) Piano lessons.
(d) Christian church services.
4. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
(c) Ride horses.
5. What time of the day does Albert work as a milkman?
(a) During the day.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) Only in the early hours of the morning.
(d) At night.
6. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
(a) Yussie calls Genya ugly.
(b) Yussie hits him with a hanger.
(c) Yussie kicks him first.
(d) Yussie teases David about Annie.
7. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
(a) Major sin.
(b) A sign of luck.
(c) Great honor.
(d) Minor sin.
8. What kind of job does Albert look for after he leaves his job at Dolman's Press?
(a) His own store.
(b) One where he can be his own boss and work outside.
(d) One where he can boss other people around.
9. Who used coal to cleanse Isaiah's mouth?
(b) The devil.
(c) Isaiah's mother.
(d) An angel.
10. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
(a) A candy store.
(b) The elementry school.
(c) His home.
(d) The cheder school.
11. Where does David put the calendar pages he tears from the calendar every day?
(a) In a shoe box.
(b) Under his bed.
(c) In the fireplace.
(d) In the garbage.
12. How does Rabbi Yidel feel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
13. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
14. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
15. What story does David read from a blue book after the incident with the group of boys at the trolley rails?
(b) The Ten Commandments.
(c) David and Goliath.
(d) Isaiah and the coal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luter often come over to the Shearl's house?
2. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
3. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
4. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
5. In Book I, why is Albert fired from his job?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)