|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Luter finds out that Genya has never left the neighborhood, what does he give Albert and Genya?
(a) Theater tickets.
(b) A map.
(c) Subway tickets.
(d) His car.
2. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
3. What is the coming of age celebration for Jewish boys?
(a) Bar Mitzvah.
4. Where was David born?
5. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
6. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
(a) A candy store.
(b) The elementry school.
(c) His home.
(d) The cheder school.
7. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
(c) A newspaper.
8. Why does Albert send David into his workplace alone?
(a) To ask the boss for a job for Genya.
(b) To beg for Albert's job.
(c) To tell Albert's boss Albert is ill.
(d) To collect Albert's things and his final paycheck.
9. What does David do to anger his father when Luter comes for Friday Sabbath dinner?
(b) Fails to offer Luter wine.
(c) Spills soup.
(d) Talks out of turn.
10. How old is David in Book I?
11. In Book III, what does David begin to attend after school?
(a) Christian church services.
(b) Choir lessons.
(c) Piano lessons.
12. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
(a) He married someone else.
(b) She didn't love him anymore.
(c) He died.
(d) His parents forbid it.
13. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
(a) Luter is in love with Albert.
(b) Luter is lonely.
(c) Luter wants to have an affair with her.
(d) Luter plans to kidnap David.
14. Why did Genya marry Albert?
(a) They had similar goals.
(b) To escape her father.
(c) She loves him.
(d) He is handsome.
15. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
(a) Being free to raise her children.
(b) Being her own boss.
(c) Having employees to boss around.
(d) Choosing the candies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joe Luter?
2. According to David's mother, who is brighter than the brightest day?
3. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
4. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
5. Where do David and his family move to after Albert gets a job as a milkman?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)