Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is dousing all the small fires set to burn the chumitz?
(a) A street cleaner.
(b) A mail man.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A fireman.
2. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
3. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
4. What time of the day does Albert work as a milkman?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) At night.
(c) Only in the early hours of the morning.
(d) During the day.
5. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
(d) Ride horses.
6. What was Genya's father's reaction to her affair?
(a) He verbally and physically abused her.
(b) He was quiet and sad.
(c) He was sorry it ended.
(d) He didn't care.
7. What kind of job does Albert look for after he leaves his job at Dolman's Press?
(a) One where he can be his own boss and work outside.
(b) His own store.
(d) One where he can boss other people around.
8. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
(b) A bowl of oil.
(c) A wooden spoon.
(d) A candle.
9. What do the chants and rhymes of the girls playing remind David of?
(a) A sister that died.
(b) Sheep in a field.
(c) Rivers, roads, and trees.
(d) Being teased.
10. What does Annie try to do to David when Yussie leaves to get bread?
(a) Get him to play tea party.
(b) Molest him.
(c) Hit him.
(d) Get him in trouble with his mother.
11. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
(a) A candy store.
(b) The cheder school.
(c) The elementry school.
(d) His home.
12. What effect do the quiet and the water of the river have on David?
(a) They mesmerizes him.
(b) He goes swimming.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) They bore him.
13. What does Albert vow to do after being sent home from Dolman's Press?
(a) Get Luter fired.
(b) Become a millionaire.
(c) Never return to Dolman's Press.
(d) Kill Luter.
14. What does Genya make Albert promise never to do again after David kicks Yussie?
(a) Beat David.
(b) Speak to Yussie again.
(c) Allow the boys to play together.
(d) Leave David alone.
15. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
(d) David's grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
2. What language do Genya and Bertha talk in that David cannot understand?
3. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
4. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
5. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)