|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
(d) A newspaper.
2. What new thing for David is included in dinner when Luter first comes to visit?
(b) Dinner rolls.
(c) Table manners.
3. How does Rabbi Yidel feel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
4. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
(b) Paper mill.
(c) Garbage collection.
(d) Candy factory.
5. How old is David in Book I?
6. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
(a) There is an earthquake.
(b) There is a bombing.
(c) The highest number of immigrants are processed there.
(d) The President gives a historic speech there.
7. What year is it when the book begins?
8. When David runs into a group of boys, what do they plan to drop on the trolley rail?
(a) A piece of pipe.
(b) A spike.
(c) A stick.
(d) A metal wire.
9. Who is Joe Luter?
(a) Albert's cousin.
(b) Genya's uncle.
(c) Bertha's husband.
(d) Albert's foreman.
10. Why did Genya marry Albert?
(a) She loves him.
(b) To escape her father.
(c) They had similar goals.
(d) He is handsome.
11. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
(a) Minor sin.
(b) Major sin.
(c) Great honor.
(d) A sign of luck.
12. Where was David born?
13. How does Albert view Bertha?
(a) Beautiful and shy.
(c) Crude and uncivilized.
(d) Mean but pretty.
14. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
(d) David's grandmother.
15. Who starts to take David to museums and landmarks?
(c) Mrs. Mink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David think the coal used to cleanse Isaiah's mouth might be?
2. Who babysits David while his parents go out in Book I?
3. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
4. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
5. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)