|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the coming of age celebration for Jewish boys?
(c) Bar Mitzvah.
2. How does Albert react to David when David first arrives in New York?
(a) Albert hugs David.
(b) Albert ignores David.
(c) Albert criticizes David.
(d) Albert is overjoyed to see David.
3. Where does David go to burn the chumitz?
(a) The East River.
(b) The ally.
(c) The roof.
(d) The harbor.
4. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
(a) He died.
(b) His parents forbid it.
(c) He married someone else.
(d) She didn't love him anymore.
5. Where was David born?
6. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
(a) A candle.
(b) A wooden spoon.
(d) A bowl of oil.
7. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
8. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
(a) David's grandmother.
9. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
(a) Candy factory.
(c) Paper mill.
(d) Garbage collection.
10. How does Rabbi Yidel feel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
11. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
(a) A handsome man.
(b) A poor man.
(c) An atheist.
(d) A Christian.
12. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
13. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
14. Who dominates the dinner conversation when Nathan comes to dinner?
15. Why does Luter stop coming to the Shearl's for dinner?
(a) He has an argument with Albert.
(b) He is going to a marriage broker.
(c) Genya slaps him.
(d) He overhears Genya calling him ugly.
Short Answer Questions
1. When David runs into a group of boys, what do they plan to drop on the trolley rail?
2. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
3. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
4. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
5. Who used coal to cleanse Isaiah's mouth?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)