|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Luter from?
2. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
(a) Having employees to boss around.
(b) Being her own boss.
(c) Being free to raise her children.
(d) Choosing the candies.
3. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
(a) He and his wife wanted to be alone.
(b) He wanted her husband to take care of her.
(c) He wanted the best for her.
(d) She was "ruined."
4. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
(b) Ride horses.
5. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
(a) Luter is in love with Albert.
(b) Luter wants to have an affair with her.
(c) Luter is lonely.
(d) Luter plans to kidnap David.
6. Where is Bertha from?
7. Where do David and his family move to after Albert gets a job as a milkman?
(a) New Jersey.
(b) The Lower East Side.
(d) Ellis Island.
8. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
(a) Yussie teases David about Annie.
(b) Yussie calls Genya ugly.
(c) Yussie kicks him first.
(d) Yussie hits him with a hanger.
9. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
(a) The boy calls him a dirty Jew.
(b) The boy speaks about Genya in a lewd manner.
(c) Yussie and the boys tease him about Albert beating him.
(d) He runs into the boy during a game of catch.
10. What does Albert vow to do after being sent home from Dolman's Press?
(a) Get Luter fired.
(b) Become a millionaire.
(c) Never return to Dolman's Press.
(d) Kill Luter.
11. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
(a) The cheder school.
(b) The elementry school.
(c) His home.
(d) A candy store.
12. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
(a) Great honor.
(b) Minor sin.
(c) Major sin.
(d) A sign of luck.
13. What does Genya make Albert promise never to do again after David kicks Yussie?
(a) Leave David alone.
(b) Allow the boys to play together.
(c) Beat David.
(d) Speak to Yussie again.
14. What does Rabbi Yidel teach David?
15. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
(a) The cheder school.
(b) Leo's house.
(c) The police station.
(d) The hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used coal to cleanse Isaiah's mouth?
2. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
3. What effect do the quiet and the water of the river have on David?
4. Why does Albert send David into his workplace alone?
5. What does David do to anger his father when Luter comes for Friday Sabbath dinner?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)