|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David do to earn a penny from an old woman?
(a) Go to the store for her.
(b) Light a lamp.
(c) Carry her bags up the stairs.
(d) Help her cross the street.
2. Where does David go to burn the chumitz?
(a) The ally.
(b) The harbor.
(c) The roof.
(d) The East River.
3. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
(a) Throwing rocks at pigeons.
(b) Urinating in the snow.
4. How does Albert treat Nathan when he came to dinner?
(a) He insults Nathan openly.
(b) He is very kind.
(c) He barely acknowledges Nathan.
(d) He is welcoming.
5. Who dominates the dinner conversation when Nathan comes to dinner?
6. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
(a) He died.
(b) He married someone else.
(c) She didn't love him anymore.
(d) His parents forbid it.
7. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
8. When Luter comes over while Albert is away, what does Genya realize about Luter?
(a) Luter is in love with Albert.
(b) Luter is lonely.
(c) Luter wants to have an affair with her.
(d) Luter plans to kidnap David.
9. What faith is the Schearl family?
10. What signal reminds David to return home at the end of the day when he is playing outside?
(a) His mother calls him.
(b) His father arriving home.
(c) A whistle signaling quitting time.
(d) The other children returning home.
11. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The skylight window.
(d) His bedroom.
12. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
(a) Yussie hits him with a hanger.
(b) Yussie kicks him first.
(c) Yussie calls Genya ugly.
(d) Yussie teases David about Annie.
13. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
(a) Not seeing his mother.
(b) Being buried in the earth forever.
(c) Being cold.
(d) Going to Hell.
14. When Genya was young, who did she have an affair with?
(a) A rabbi.
(b) A goy church organist.
(c) A rich Jewish man.
(d) A Buddhist.
15. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
(b) The neighborhood.
(d) In stores.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joe Luter?
2. What new thing for David is included in dinner when Luter first comes to visit?
3. Where do David and his family move to after Albert gets a job as a milkman?
4. What does David's mother purchase to place in their kitchen?
5. What kind of shop do Nathan and Bertha plan to open?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)