|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of shop do Nathan and Bertha plan to open?
(a) A book shop.
(b) A candy shop.
(c) A newspaper stand.
(d) A shoe store.
2. What does David's mother purchase to place in their kitchen?
(a) A picture.
(b) A vase.
(c) A coffee maker.
(d) A tea pot.
3. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
(a) Very much alike.
(b) Much prettier.
(c) The complete opposite.
(d) More submissive.
4. What does Genya make Albert promise never to do again after David kicks Yussie?
(a) Speak to Yussie again.
(b) Allow the boys to play together.
(c) Beat David.
(d) Leave David alone.
5. What do the chants and rhymes of the girls playing remind David of?
(a) Rivers, roads, and trees.
(b) Being teased.
(c) Sheep in a field.
(d) A sister that died.
6. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
7. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
(a) A newspaper.
8. What does David do to earn a penny from an old woman?
(a) Carry her bags up the stairs.
(b) Go to the store for her.
(c) Help her cross the street.
(d) Light a lamp.
9. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
(a) The police station.
(b) Leo's house.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The cheder school.
10. Who babysits David while his parents go out in Book I?
(d) Mrs. Mink.
11. Where was David born?
12. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
13. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
14. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
15. What happens to Albert that causes him to leave work before he can lash out at Luter?
(a) He injurs his thumb.
(b) He is fired.
(c) Luter quits.
(d) He is promoted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Genya's father's reaction to her affair?
2. What kind of job does Albert look for after he leaves his job at Dolman's Press?
3. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
4. What year is it when the book begins?
5. What do the boys want to cause with the trolley rail?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)