|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Albert get a job after he is fired?
(a) Dolman's Press.
(b) Finniman's Press.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) Bertha's Candy Shop.
2. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
(b) Throwing rocks at pigeons.
(c) Urinating in the snow.
3. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
(b) Exactly like Genya.
(c) Disheveled and slovenly.
(d) Successful and together.
4. How many floors are in the flat that David and his family first live in?
5. Where is Bertha from?
6. How does Albert react to David when David first arrives in New York?
(a) Albert criticizes David.
(b) Albert is overjoyed to see David.
(c) Albert ignores David.
(d) Albert hugs David.
7. What does Annie try to do to David when Yussie leaves to get bread?
(a) Get him to play tea party.
(b) Molest him.
(c) Get him in trouble with his mother.
(d) Hit him.
8. What does David's mother purchase to place in their kitchen?
(a) A tea pot.
(b) A picture.
(c) A coffee maker.
(d) A vase.
9. Who is Joe Luter?
(a) Albert's cousin.
(b) Albert's foreman.
(c) Bertha's husband.
(d) Genya's uncle.
10. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
(a) Paper mill.
(b) Candy factory.
(c) Garbage collection.
11. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
(a) A candle.
(c) A bowl of oil.
(d) A wooden spoon.
12. How does Albert view Bertha?
(a) Crude and uncivilized.
(c) Beautiful and shy.
(d) Mean but pretty.
13. How does David feel about Luter's frequent visits?
14. Where does David put the calendar pages he tears from the calendar every day?
(a) In the fireplace.
(b) Under his bed.
(c) In a shoe box.
(d) In the garbage.
15. What new thing for David is included in dinner when Luter first comes to visit?
(b) Dinner rolls.
(c) Table manners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Genya's father's reaction to her affair?
2. What does Genya make Albert promise never to do again after David kicks Yussie?
3. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
4. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
5. What time of the day does Albert work as a milkman?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)