|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rabbi Yidel teach David?
2. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
(a) The elementry school.
(b) The cheder school.
(c) His home.
(d) A candy store.
3. What is the coming of age celebration for Jewish boys?
(a) Bar Mitzvah.
4. In Book I, why is Albert fired from his job?
(a) He missed too many days of work.
(b) He was caught drinking on the job.
(c) He threatened his coworkers.
(d) He made too many errors in his work.
5. How does Rabbi Yidel feel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
6. When David runs into a group of boys, what do they plan to drop on the trolley rail?
(a) A piece of pipe.
(b) A spike.
(c) A stick.
(d) A metal wire.
7. In Book III, what does David begin to attend after school?
(a) Choir lessons.
(b) Christian church services.
(d) Piano lessons.
8. What time of the day does Albert work as a milkman?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) Only in the early hours of the morning.
(c) At night.
(d) During the day.
9. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
(a) The neighborhood.
(c) In stores.
10. What signal reminds David to return home at the end of the day when he is playing outside?
(a) His father arriving home.
(b) A whistle signaling quitting time.
(c) His mother calls him.
(d) The other children returning home.
11. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
(a) Candy factory.
(b) Paper mill.
(c) Garbage collection.
12. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
13. What does David think the coal used to cleanse Isaiah's mouth might be?
(a) Black and hot.
(d) White but not hot.
14. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
(a) Successful and together.
(b) Disheveled and slovenly.
(d) Exactly like Genya.
15. Why did Genya marry Albert?
(a) She loves him.
(b) He is handsome.
(c) They had similar goals.
(d) To escape her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Albert that causes him to leave work before he can lash out at Luter?
2. What do the boys want to cause with the trolley rail?
3. What does Annie try to do to David when Yussie leaves to get bread?
4. What is David's reaction when he sees a funeral procession for the first time?
5. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)