|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
(a) She was "ruined."
(b) He wanted her husband to take care of her.
(c) He wanted the best for her.
(d) He and his wife wanted to be alone.
2. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
(a) An atheist.
(b) A poor man.
(c) A handsome man.
(d) A Christian.
3. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
(b) Successful and together.
(c) Disheveled and slovenly.
(d) Exactly like Genya.
4. What effect do the quiet and the water of the river have on David?
(a) They bore him.
(b) They mesmerizes him.
(c) He goes swimming.
(d) He falls asleep.
5. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
6. What faith is the Schearl family?
7. What does Rabbi Yidel teach David?
8. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
9. What year is it when the book begins?
10. When Luter finds out that Genya has never left the neighborhood, what does he give Albert and Genya?
(a) Theater tickets.
(b) A map.
(c) Subway tickets.
(d) His car.
11. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
(a) Yussie calls Genya ugly.
(b) Yussie teases David about Annie.
(c) Yussie kicks him first.
(d) Yussie hits him with a hanger.
12. Why did Genya marry Albert?
(a) She loves him.
(b) To escape her father.
(c) They had similar goals.
(d) He is handsome.
13. What language do Genya and Bertha talk in that David cannot understand?
14. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
(a) Throwing rocks at pigeons.
(c) Urinating in the snow.
15. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was David born?
2. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
3. How does Rabbi Yidel feel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
4. What does David think the coal used to cleanse Isaiah's mouth might be?
5. Where does David put the calendar pages he tears from the calendar every day?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)