|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joe Luter?
(a) Albert's cousin.
(b) Genya's uncle.
(c) Bertha's husband.
(d) Albert's foreman.
2. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
3. Why did Genya marry Albert?
(a) They had similar goals.
(b) To escape her father.
(c) She loves him.
(d) He is handsome.
4. How old is David in Book I?
5. What does David's mother purchase to place in their kitchen?
(a) A picture.
(b) A tea pot.
(c) A vase.
(d) A coffee maker.
6. How does Rabbi Yidel feel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
7. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The skylight window.
(c) His bedroom.
(d) The cellar.
8. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
(a) Yiddish and English.
(b) Spanish and German.
(c) Italian and German.
(d) Polish and English.
9. According to David's mother, who is brighter than the brightest day?
(b) The devil.
(d) An angel.
10. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
11. Who is dousing all the small fires set to burn the chumitz?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A fireman.
(c) A street cleaner.
(d) A mail man.
12. Who used coal to cleanse Isaiah's mouth?
(b) An angel.
(c) Isaiah's mother.
(d) The devil.
13. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
(a) Going to Hell.
(b) Not seeing his mother.
(c) Being buried in the earth forever.
(d) Being cold.
14. What time of the day does Albert work as a milkman?
(a) At night.
(b) During the day.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) Only in the early hours of the morning.
15. What is David's reaction when he sees a funeral procession for the first time?
(a) David is sad.
(b) David is frightened.
(c) David is excited.
(d) David is curious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David do to anger his father when Luter comes for Friday Sabbath dinner?
2. In Book III, what does David begin to attend after school?
3. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
4. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
5. What happens to Albert that causes him to leave work before he can lash out at Luter?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)