|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Albert send David into his workplace alone?
(a) To beg for Albert's job.
(b) To ask the boss for a job for Genya.
(c) To tell Albert's boss Albert is ill.
(d) To collect Albert's things and his final paycheck.
2. How does Albert view Bertha?
(a) Beautiful and shy.
(b) Crude and uncivilized.
(c) Mean but pretty.
3. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
(b) A candle.
(c) A bowl of oil.
(d) A wooden spoon.
4. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) His bedroom.
(c) The skylight window.
(d) The cellar.
5. What new thing for David is included in dinner when Luter first comes to visit?
(a) Dinner rolls.
(d) Table manners.
6. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
(a) The boy speaks about Genya in a lewd manner.
(b) Yussie and the boys tease him about Albert beating him.
(c) He runs into the boy during a game of catch.
(d) The boy calls him a dirty Jew.
7. According to David's mother, who is brighter than the brightest day?
(a) An angel.
(d) The devil.
8. Who is dousing all the small fires set to burn the chumitz?
(a) A mail man.
(b) A street cleaner.
(c) A fireman.
(d) A policeman.
9. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
(a) Being her own boss.
(b) Being free to raise her children.
(c) Having employees to boss around.
(d) Choosing the candies.
10. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
(a) On the bus.
(b) At the dentist's office.
(c) At work.
(d) At church.
11. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
(a) A poor man.
(b) A Christian.
(c) A handsome man.
(d) An atheist.
12. Why did Genya marry Albert?
(a) They had similar goals.
(b) To escape her father.
(c) She loves him.
(d) He is handsome.
13. Why does David kick Yussie and give him a bloody nose?
(a) Yussie kicks him first.
(b) Yussie teases David about Annie.
(c) Yussie calls Genya ugly.
(d) Yussie hits him with a hanger.
14. How old is David in Book I?
15. What signal reminds David to return home at the end of the day when he is playing outside?
(a) His mother calls him.
(b) The other children returning home.
(c) A whistle signaling quitting time.
(d) His father arriving home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the chants and rhymes of the girls playing remind David of?
2. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
3. What language do Genya and Bertha talk in that David cannot understand?
4. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
5. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)