|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to David's mother, who is brighter than the brightest day?
(b) An angel.
(c) The devil.
2. What does Albert vow to do after being sent home from Dolman's Press?
(a) Kill Luter.
(b) Never return to Dolman's Press.
(c) Get Luter fired.
(d) Become a millionaire.
3. How old is David when the book begins?
(a) A school-aged boy.
(b) A teenager.
(c) A young man.
(d) A toddler.
4. What year is it when the book begins?
5. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
6. Why does Luter stop coming to the Shearl's for dinner?
(a) He has an argument with Albert.
(b) He overhears Genya calling him ugly.
(c) Genya slaps him.
(d) He is going to a marriage broker.
7. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
8. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
(a) A candle.
(b) A bowl of oil.
(d) A wooden spoon.
9. Who is Joe Luter?
(a) Albert's cousin.
(b) Albert's foreman.
(c) Bertha's husband.
(d) Genya's uncle.
10. What idea does Bertha relish concerning running her own business?
(a) Being free to raise her children.
(b) Choosing the candies.
(c) Being her own boss.
(d) Having employees to boss around.
11. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
(a) Being cold.
(b) Not seeing his mother.
(c) Going to Hell.
(d) Being buried in the earth forever.
12. Who has never seen David before David arrives in New York?
(b) David's grandmother.
13. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
(d) A newspaper.
14. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
15. What does Rabbi Yidel teach David?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David do to earn a penny from an old woman?
2. How does David feel when he learns his father will be home all day while he changes jobs?
3. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
4. What do the boys want to cause with the trolley rail?
5. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)