|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Albert vow to do after being sent home from Dolman's Press?
(a) Get Luter fired.
(b) Become a millionaire.
(c) Never return to Dolman's Press.
(d) Kill Luter.
2. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
(a) Very much alike.
(b) The complete opposite.
(c) Much prettier.
(d) More submissive.
3. What does Genya make Albert promise never to do again after David kicks Yussie?
(a) Speak to Yussie again.
(b) Allow the boys to play together.
(c) Beat David.
(d) Leave David alone.
4. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
(a) Not seeing his mother.
(b) Going to Hell.
(c) Being buried in the earth forever.
(d) Being cold.
5. Who is Mrs. Mink?
(a) Leo's mother.
(b) David's teacher.
(c) Luter's fiancee.
(d) Yussie's mother.
6. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
(a) An atheist.
(b) A Christian.
(c) A poor man.
(d) A handsome man.
7. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
(d) Ride horses.
8. What signal reminds David to return home at the end of the day when he is playing outside?
(a) His father arriving home.
(b) His mother calls him.
(c) The other children returning home.
(d) A whistle signaling quitting time.
9. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
(a) He died.
(b) She didn't love him anymore.
(c) He married someone else.
(d) His parents forbid it.
10. Failing to burn a chumitz is a ____ in David's faith.
(a) Minor sin.
(b) A sign of luck.
(c) Great honor.
(d) Major sin.
11. Who dominates the dinner conversation when Nathan comes to dinner?
12. What is the coming of age celebration for Jewish boys?
(a) Bar Mitzvah.
13. What do the chants and rhymes of the girls playing remind David of?
(a) Sheep in a field.
(b) Rivers, roads, and trees.
(c) Being teased.
(d) A sister that died.
14. Why does Luter stop coming to the Shearl's for dinner?
(a) He has an argument with Albert.
(b) He is going to a marriage broker.
(c) He overhears Genya calling him ugly.
(d) Genya slaps him.
15. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
(a) His bedroom.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The skylight window.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the boys are taunting David in Book I, who comes to the Schearl's home?
2. What does David think the coal used to cleanse Isaiah's mouth might be?
3. What effect do the quiet and the water of the river have on David?
4. Why does Luter often come over to the Shearl's house?
5. Who used coal to cleanse Isaiah's mouth?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)