|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book III: The Coal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David do to anger his father when Luter comes for Friday Sabbath dinner?
(a) Spills soup.
(c) Talks out of turn.
(d) Fails to offer Luter wine.
2. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
(a) The boy calls him a dirty Jew.
(b) The boy speaks about Genya in a lewd manner.
(c) Yussie and the boys tease him about Albert beating him.
(d) He runs into the boy during a game of catch.
3. How does Rabbi Yidel feel about the younger generation of Jewish boys?
4. What language do Genya and Bertha talk in that David cannot understand?
5. Who dominates the dinner conversation when Nathan comes to dinner?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is David in Book I?
2. When David runs into a group of boys, what do they plan to drop on the trolley rail?
3. What frightens David most about the thought of death?
4. What does Rabbi Yidel give David for reading an entire passage in Hebrew?
5. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)