|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book III: The Coal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
(a) Urinating in the snow.
(c) Throwing rocks at pigeons.
2. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
(a) He runs into the boy during a game of catch.
(b) The boy calls him a dirty Jew.
(c) The boy speaks about Genya in a lewd manner.
(d) Yussie and the boys tease him about Albert beating him.
3. In Book III, David climbs through a window to get into what building?
(a) A candy store.
(b) The cheder school.
(c) The elementry school.
(d) His home.
4. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
(a) The President gives a historic speech there.
(b) The highest number of immigrants are processed there.
(c) There is an earthquake.
(d) There is a bombing.
5. What signal reminds David to return home at the end of the day when he is playing outside?
(a) The other children returning home.
(b) His father arriving home.
(c) A whistle signaling quitting time.
(d) His mother calls him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job does Albert look for after he leaves his job at Dolman's Press?
2. Why didn't Genya's lover run off with her?
3. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
4. In Book III, what does David begin to attend after school?
5. In Book I, why is Albert fired from his job?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)