|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book III: The Coal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in a foul mood as the Schearl family reunites?
2. Who used coal to cleanse Isaiah's mouth?
(b) The devil.
(c) Isaiah's mother.
(d) An angel.
3. Why was Genya's father determined to marry her off?
(a) He wanted the best for her.
(b) He and his wife wanted to be alone.
(c) She was "ruined."
(d) He wanted her husband to take care of her.
4. What does David think the coal used to cleanse Isaiah's mouth might be?
(a) White but not hot.
(c) Black and hot.
5. How old is David when the book begins?
(a) A teenager.
(b) A toddler.
(c) A school-aged boy.
(d) A young man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
2. "Goy" is a Jewish term for what?
3. How does Albert view Bertha?
4. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
5. What is Bertha like compared to Genya?
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)