|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book III: The Coal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
(a) Disheveled and slovenly.
(b) Successful and together.
(c) Exactly like Genya.
2. Where is Bertha from?
3. What part of the new apartment does David finds relaxing?
(a) The skylight window.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The cellar.
(d) His bedroom.
4. Who is Joe Luter?
(a) Albert's cousin.
(b) Albert's foreman.
(c) Bertha's husband.
(d) Genya's uncle.
5. What is on the bottom floor of the flat David and his family live in at the beginning of the book?
(a) The cellar.
(b) A bookstore.
(c) A candy store.
(d) More apartments.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
2. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
3. When David gets lost in the city, where does his mother come to pick him up?
4. How does Albert react to David when David first arrives in New York?
5. Where does David put the calendar pages he tears from the calendar every day?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)