|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book III: The Coal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Luter from?
2. What does David discover Genya liked to do as a girl?
(c) Ride horses.
3. A chumitz is a Passover tradition to burn what?
(a) A bowl of oil.
(c) A wooden spoon.
(d) A candle.
4. Where does Albert get a job after he is fired?
(a) Finniman's Press.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Bertha's Candy Shop.
(d) Dolman's Press.
5. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
(a) There is an earthquake.
(b) The President gives a historic speech there.
(c) The highest number of immigrants are processed there.
(d) There is a bombing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
2. On the day David sees the funeral procession, what kind of contest does he see boys participating in?
3. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
4. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
5. What languages do Genya and Bertha talk in that David can understand?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)