|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book III: The Coal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bertha look like when she arrives in America?
(a) Exactly like Genya.
(b) Successful and together.
(c) Disheveled and slovenly.
2. Where is Luter from?
3. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
(a) The boy calls him a dirty Jew.
(b) He runs into the boy during a game of catch.
(c) Yussie and the boys tease him about Albert beating him.
(d) The boy speaks about Genya in a lewd manner.
4. Where does Albert get a job after he is fired?
(a) Dolman's Press.
(b) Finniman's Press.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) Bertha's Candy Shop.
5. What does David do to earn a penny from an old woman?
(a) Light a lamp.
(b) Go to the store for her.
(c) Carry her bags up the stairs.
(d) Help her cross the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luter often come over to the Shearl's house?
2. What industry does Albert work in at the beginning of the book?
3. What time of the day does Albert work as a milkman?
4. Of the Schearl family, who arrives in America first?
5. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)