|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book III: The Coal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Genya's mood when the family reunites in New York?
2. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
(a) The President gives a historic speech there.
(b) The highest number of immigrants are processed there.
(c) There is a bombing.
(d) There is an earthquake.
3. What does David ask Genya about after seeing a funeral procession?
(d) Her parents.
4. In Book I, what does Albert send David out in the freezing rain to get?
(a) A newspaper.
5. Why does Luter often come over to the Shearl's house?
(a) To fix things around the apartment.
(b) To drive Albert to work.
(c) For dinner.
(d) To play with David.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, where does Albert complain that he is being treated badly?
2. What does Annie try to do to David when Yussie leaves to get bread?
3. What does David's mother purchase to place in their kitchen?
4. What happens to Albert that causes him to leave work before he can lash out at Luter?
5. Where does Bertha meet Nathan?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)