|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book IV: The Rail, Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Luter from?
2. Who used coal to cleanse Isaiah's mouth?
(b) An angel.
(c) Isaiah's mother.
(d) The devil.
3. Why does David's mother take so long to open the door?
(a) She is bathing.
(b) She is asleep.
(c) She is cooking.
(d) She is doing the laundry.
4. What is the name of David's playmate who lives in the flat above his in Book I?
5. In Book I, why does David knock a boy to the pavement?
(a) Yussie and the boys tease him about Albert beating him.
(b) The boy calls him a dirty Jew.
(c) The boy speaks about Genya in a lewd manner.
(d) He runs into the boy during a game of catch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at Ellis Island during the year in which this book begins?
2. Who chases after the milk thieves?
3. What do the chants and rhymes of the girls playing remind David of?
4. Who dominates the dinner conversation when Nathan comes to dinner?
5. What soothes David following the milk route incident?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)