|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he feel now that his knife is finished?
2. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
3. How does he feel after building a fire?
4. The next day, what does Mafatu begin to rebuild?
5. About what is Mafatu unsure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What wakes him the next morning?
2. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
3. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
4. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
5. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
6. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
7. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
8. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
9. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
10. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu goes through great change during his first day on the island.
Part 1) Describe this change. Why does this change occur?
Part 2) How does it affect the decisions he later makes?
Part 3) Predict how this change will affect him when he returns home.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu learned many skills when living in Hikueru.
Part 1) What skills does he have? How had he thought about these skills when he had been at home?
Part 2) What does he think of these skills now? Why?
Part 3) How do these skills help build Mafatu's self-esteem?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu spends much of his life in isolation.
Part 1) How has he been isolated up to the point his journey begins?
Part 2) How does this journey amplify his isolation?
Part 3) Will he be in isolation after his journey? Why or why not?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)