|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
2. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
3. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
4. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
5. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
2. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
3. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
4. How does Mafatu act like a child?
5. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
6. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
7. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
8. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
9. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
10. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu learns a lesson during the last chapter.
Part 1) What is this lesson? What events lead up to this lesson?
Part 2) How will this lesson help him through life?
Part 3) What can you learn from this lesson? How is it relevant to you?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu spends much of his life in isolation.
Part 1) How has he been isolated up to the point his journey begins?
Part 2) How does this journey amplify his isolation?
Part 3) Will he be in isolation after his journey? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu collapses at the end of the book.
Part 1) What might have happened?
Part 2) What is significant about this?
Part 3) How might various interpretations of this ending affect readers?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)