|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightens Mafatu?
2. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
3. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
4. How does Mafatu fell a tree?
5. What does he soon do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
2. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
3. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
4. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
5. How does Mafatu act like a child?
6. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
7. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
8. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
9. What does the spearhead symbolize?
10. What is his victory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu learned many skills when living in Hikueru.
Part 1) What skills does he have? How had he thought about these skills when he had been at home?
Part 2) What does he think of these skills now? Why?
Part 3) How do these skills help build Mafatu's self-esteem?
Essay Topic 2
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu is very self-sufficient.
Part 1) How is he self-sufficient? What can one learn about Mafatu's culture through his self-sufficiency?
Part 2) How does this new independence and knowledge both help and hurt him?
Part 3) Do you believe that people in our modern culture are self-sufficient? Why or why not?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)