|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he feel now that his knife is finished?
2. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
3. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
4. About what is Mafatu unsure?
5. What does he begin to think about killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the spearhead symbolize?
2. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
3. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
4. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
5. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
6. How does Mafatu act like a child?
7. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
8. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
9. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
10. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu finds time to act like a child during his journey.
Part 1) How does he act like a child? What does this say about his character?
Part 2) What do his childlike actions remind the reader about this character?
Part 3) Why might the author have made Mafatu act like a child on this island? What is his purpose?
Essay Topic 3
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)