|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy plan to wait until the next day to do?
2. What is he able to make?
3. How does he feel now that his knife is finished?
4. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
5. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
2. What wakes him the next morning?
3. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
4. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
5. What is his victory?
6. What does the spearhead symbolize?
7. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
8. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
9. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
10. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu chooses to leave before the others wake.
Part 1) Why does he do this? What does he wonder about his tribe?
Part 2) What do you think were the reactions of the tribe? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How would your family react if they woke up one morning and you were gone? Compare and contrast their reaction to what you believe might be Mafatu's tribe's reaction.
Essay Topic 3
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)