|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
2. About what is Mafatu unsure?
3. How does Mafatu fell a tree?
4. What does the boy plan to wait until the next day to do?
5. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
Essay Topic 1
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu has many voids in his life.
Part 1) What are these voids?
Part 2) What is the most important void? How has he been dealing with this void?
Part 3) How does this void lead him to adventure and ultimately to change, growth, and fulfillment?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu goes through great change during his first day on the island.
Part 1) Describe this change. Why does this change occur?
Part 2) How does it affect the decisions he later makes?
Part 3) Predict how this change will affect him when he returns home.
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)