|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. He hated doing these tasks back in Hikueru. How does he feel now?
2. What does he wonder about this island?
3. What does Mafatu discover lying on the beach?
4. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
5. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
2. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
3. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
4. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
5. How does Mafatu act like a child?
6. What is his victory?
7. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
8. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
9. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
10. What does the spearhead symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
Essay Topic 2
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu is very self-sufficient.
Part 1) How is he self-sufficient? What can one learn about Mafatu's culture through his self-sufficiency?
Part 2) How does this new independence and knowledge both help and hurt him?
Part 3) Do you believe that people in our modern culture are self-sufficient? Why or why not?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)