|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
2. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
3. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
4. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
5. To where does he head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
2. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
3. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
4. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
5. How does Mafatu act like a child?
6. What does the spearhead symbolize?
7. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
8. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
9. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
10. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu collapses at the end of the book.
Part 1) What might have happened?
Part 2) What is significant about this?
Part 3) How might various interpretations of this ending affect readers?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu is the main character.
Part 1) Why was he called "The Boy Who Was Afraid?" Who called him this? How does he change throughout the story?
Part 2) What changes him?
Part 3) How are you known to others? How does this affect your behavior?
Part 4) Would you like to change how others think of you? Why or why not?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)