|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
2. The next day, what does Mafatu begin to rebuild?
3. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
4. What does he wonder about this island?
5. How does he feel after the climb to the lookout?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
2. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
3. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
4. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
5. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
6. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
7. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
8. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
9. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
10. How does Mafatu act like a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu's story is timeless.
Part 1) Why is it timeless?
Part 2) What can various cultures around the world learn from this story?
Part 3) How is this story significant to you?
Essay Topic 3
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)