|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
2. What does he wonder about this island?
3. The next day, what does Mafatu begin to rebuild?
4. What does the boy plan to wait until the next day to do?
5. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
2. What is his victory?
3. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
4. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
5. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
6. What wakes him the next morning?
7. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
8. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
9. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
10. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu wants to make a boar's tooth necklace.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What makes him decide to do this?
Part 3) What is the reaction of his tribe when they see it? Why do they react this way?
Part 4) What in our culture would cause others to react in a similar way as Mafatu's tribe? Why?
Essay Topic 2
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 3
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)