|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
2. What happens when a large wave tips the raft at a severe angle?
3. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
4. What does Mafatu begin fashioning?
5. What frightens Mafatu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
2. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
3. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
4. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
5. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
6. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
7. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
8. How does Mafatu act like a child?
9. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
10. What does the spearhead symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu prays to the Goddess of the Fishermen.
Part 1) Who is this goddess? Why does he pray to this goddess?
Part 2) Does the goddess help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mafatu behavior in times of trouble and need to your behavior.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)