|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he use to pull himself up the slope?
2. What does Mafatu begin fashioning?
3. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
4. What is the pyramid topped by a massive figure?
5. What does he think about again?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
2. What wakes him the next morning?
3. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
4. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
5. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
6. What does the spearhead symbolize?
7. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
8. How does Mafatu act like a child?
9. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
10. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu wants to make a boar's tooth necklace.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What makes him decide to do this?
Part 3) What is the reaction of his tribe when they see it? Why do they react this way?
Part 4) What in our culture would cause others to react in a similar way as Mafatu's tribe? Why?
Essay Topic 2
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu prays to the Goddess of the Fishermen.
Part 1) Who is this goddess? Why does he pray to this goddess?
Part 2) Does the goddess help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mafatu behavior in times of trouble and need to your behavior.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)