|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
2. What does Mafatu need to fashion a new canoe?
3. What does Mafatu begin to take care of?
4. How does he move toward the idol?
5. What is he able to make?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
2. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
3. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
4. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
5. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
6. What does the spearhead symbolize?
7. How does Mafatu act like a child?
8. What is his victory?
9. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
10. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu learned many skills when living in Hikueru.
Part 1) What skills does he have? How had he thought about these skills when he had been at home?
Part 2) What does he think of these skills now? Why?
Part 3) How do these skills help build Mafatu's self-esteem?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)