|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he fashion a fish trap?
2. What does Mafatu sees after he slides down the lava slide?
3. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
4. What has always scared him away when he went out to the reef to set his traps?
5. The next day, what does Mafatu begin to rebuild?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
2. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
3. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
4. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
5. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
6. What does the spearhead symbolize?
7. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
8. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
9. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
10. What is his victory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu's story is timeless.
Part 1) Why is it timeless?
Part 2) What can various cultures around the world learn from this story?
Part 3) How is this story significant to you?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu spends much of his life in isolation.
Part 1) How has he been isolated up to the point his journey begins?
Part 2) How does this journey amplify his isolation?
Part 3) Will he be in isolation after his journey? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)