|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
2. What can he use to make a raft?
3. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
4. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
5. How does he fashion a fish trap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the spearhead symbolize?
2. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
3. How does Mafatu act like a child?
4. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
5. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
6. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
7. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
8. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
9. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
10. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu spends much of his life in isolation.
Part 1) How has he been isolated up to the point his journey begins?
Part 2) How does this journey amplify his isolation?
Part 3) Will he be in isolation after his journey? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu has many voids in his life.
Part 1) What are these voids?
Part 2) What is the most important void? How has he been dealing with this void?
Part 3) How does this void lead him to adventure and ultimately to change, growth, and fulfillment?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu is the main character.
Part 1) Why was he called "The Boy Who Was Afraid?" Who called him this? How does he change throughout the story?
Part 2) What changes him?
Part 3) How are you known to others? How does this affect your behavior?
Part 4) Would you like to change how others think of you? Why or why not?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)