|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
2. Who does he praise for bringing him safely to this island and for giving him courage?
3. What have been recently burned?
4. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
5. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
2. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
3. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
4. What is his victory?
5. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
6. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
7. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
8. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
9. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
10. What wakes him the next morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu prays to the Goddess of the Fishermen.
Part 1) Who is this goddess? Why does he pray to this goddess?
Part 2) Does the goddess help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mafatu behavior in times of trouble and need to your behavior.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu learns a lesson during the last chapter.
Part 1) What is this lesson? What events lead up to this lesson?
Part 2) How will this lesson help him through life?
Part 3) What can you learn from this lesson? How is it relevant to you?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu is very self-sufficient.
Part 1) How is he self-sufficient? What can one learn about Mafatu's culture through his self-sufficiency?
Part 2) How does this new independence and knowledge both help and hurt him?
Part 3) Do you believe that people in our modern culture are self-sufficient? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)