|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
2. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
3. What does he need to make a fishhook?
4. How does he feel as he heads out to the reef?
5. Why is he starting to think that perhaps his ending up on this spot was a cruel joke on the part of Moana, the Sea God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu learns a lesson during the last chapter.
Part 1) What is this lesson? What events lead up to this lesson?
Part 2) How will this lesson help him through life?
Part 3) What can you learn from this lesson? How is it relevant to you?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu's story is timeless.
Part 1) Why is it timeless?
Part 2) What can various cultures around the world learn from this story?
Part 3) How is this story significant to you?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu spends much of his life in isolation.
Part 1) How has he been isolated up to the point his journey begins?
Part 2) How does this journey amplify his isolation?
Part 3) Will he be in isolation after his journey? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)