|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
2. The next day, what does Mafatu begin to rebuild?
3. What happens when a large wave tips the raft at a severe angle?
4. To where does he head?
5. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is his victory?
2. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
3. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
4. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
5. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
6. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
7. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
8. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
9. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
10. How does Mafatu act like a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu's story is timeless.
Part 1) Why is it timeless?
Part 2) What can various cultures around the world learn from this story?
Part 3) How is this story significant to you?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu chooses to leave before the others wake.
Part 1) Why does he do this? What does he wonder about his tribe?
Part 2) What do you think were the reactions of the tribe? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How would your family react if they woke up one morning and you were gone? Compare and contrast their reaction to what you believe might be Mafatu's tribe's reaction.
Essay Topic 3
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)