|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is he able to make?
2. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
3. To where does he head?
4. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
5. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the spearhead symbolize?
2. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
3. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
4. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
5. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
6. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
7. What is his victory?
8. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
9. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
10. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu prays to the Goddess of the Fishermen.
Part 1) Who is this goddess? Why does he pray to this goddess?
Part 2) Does the goddess help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mafatu behavior in times of trouble and need to your behavior.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu's story is timeless.
Part 1) Why is it timeless?
Part 2) What can various cultures around the world learn from this story?
Part 3) How is this story significant to you?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)