|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
2. What does he need to make a fishhook?
3. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred spot?
4. What happens when Mafatu tries to catch his friend?
5. How does he fashion a fish trap?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
2. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
3. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
4. What is his victory?
5. How does Mafatu act like a child?
6. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
7. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
8. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
9. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
10. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu collapses at the end of the book.
Part 1) What might have happened?
Part 2) What is significant about this?
Part 3) How might various interpretations of this ending affect readers?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
While on the island, Mafatu becomes fearless.
Part 1) How? What does this fearlessness do to his sense of reason?
Part 2) What does this fearlessness keep him from doing? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Describe a time when you have felt fearless. How did it affect your decision-making? How did it affect your relationship with others?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)