|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is he able to make?
2. What can he use to make a raft?
3. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
4. What startles Mafatu?
5. How does he feel after building a fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
2. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
3. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
4. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
5. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
6. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
7. What is his victory?
8. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
9. What wakes him the next morning?
10. How does Mafatu act like a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu is the main character.
Part 1) Why was he called "The Boy Who Was Afraid?" Who called him this? How does he change throughout the story?
Part 2) What changes him?
Part 3) How are you known to others? How does this affect your behavior?
Part 4) Would you like to change how others think of you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu's story is timeless.
Part 1) Why is it timeless?
Part 2) What can various cultures around the world learn from this story?
Part 3) How is this story significant to you?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)