|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can he use to make a raft?
2. What does Mafatu now realize about himself?
3. What has rooted Mafatu to the ground?
4. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
5. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is his victory?
2. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
3. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
4. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
5. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
6. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
7. What wakes him the next morning?
8. What does the spearhead symbolize?
9. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
10. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While on the island, Mafatu becomes fearless.
Part 1) How? What does this fearlessness do to his sense of reason?
Part 2) What does this fearlessness keep him from doing? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Describe a time when you have felt fearless. How did it affect your decision-making? How did it affect your relationship with others?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu is very self-sufficient.
Part 1) How is he self-sufficient? What can one learn about Mafatu's culture through his self-sufficiency?
Part 2) How does this new independence and knowledge both help and hurt him?
Part 3) Do you believe that people in our modern culture are self-sufficient? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu spends much of his life in isolation.
Part 1) How has he been isolated up to the point his journey begins?
Part 2) How does this journey amplify his isolation?
Part 3) Will he be in isolation after his journey? Why or why not?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)