|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Mafatu tries to catch his friend?
2. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
3. What is the pyramid topped by a massive figure?
4. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
5. What frightens Mafatu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
2. What wakes him the next morning?
3. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
4. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
5. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
6. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
7. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
8. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
9. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
10. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu endures many struggles during his journey.
Part 1) How does he struggle on the canoe? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 2) How doe she struggle on the island? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 3) How do these trials and tribulations change his character?
Part 4) Could he have made these personal changes without going on this adventure? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu collapses at the end of the book.
Part 1) What might have happened?
Part 2) What is significant about this?
Part 3) How might various interpretations of this ending affect readers?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)