|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the following days find Mafatu?
2. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
3. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
4. What does Mafatu discover lying on the beach?
5. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
2. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
3. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
4. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
5. What is his victory?
6. What wakes him the next morning?
7. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
8. What does the spearhead symbolize?
9. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
10. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu wants to make a boar's tooth necklace.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What makes him decide to do this?
Part 3) What is the reaction of his tribe when they see it? Why do they react this way?
Part 4) What in our culture would cause others to react in a similar way as Mafatu's tribe? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu has many voids in his life.
Part 1) What are these voids?
Part 2) What is the most important void? How has he been dealing with this void?
Part 3) How does this void lead him to adventure and ultimately to change, growth, and fulfillment?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)