|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
2. How does he feel after the climb to the lookout?
3. How does he move toward the idol?
4. What does Mafatu discover lying on the beach?
5. Where are fish hooks made from bone, coconut-shell bowls, an extra clothing garment made waterproof for wet weather, and a coil of sennit found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
2. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
3. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
4. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
5. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
6. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
7. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
8. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
9. What does the spearhead symbolize?
10. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
While on the island, Mafatu becomes fearless.
Part 1) How? What does this fearlessness do to his sense of reason?
Part 2) What does this fearlessness keep him from doing? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Describe a time when you have felt fearless. How did it affect your decision-making? How did it affect your relationship with others?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)