|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he feel after the climb to the lookout?
2. To where does he head?
3. What startles Mafatu?
4. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
5. Who does he praise for bringing him safely to this island and for giving him courage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu act like a child?
2. What is his victory?
3. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
4. What does the spearhead symbolize?
5. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
6. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
7. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
8. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
9. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
10. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu goes through great change during his first day on the island.
Part 1) Describe this change. Why does this change occur?
Part 2) How does it affect the decisions he later makes?
Part 3) Predict how this change will affect him when he returns home.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu collapses at the end of the book.
Part 1) What might have happened?
Part 2) What is significant about this?
Part 3) How might various interpretations of this ending affect readers?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)