|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he feel after building a fire?
2. What does he wonder about this island?
3. What does he want from his town and his father?
4. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
5. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
2. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
3. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
4. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
5. What does the spearhead symbolize?
6. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
7. What is his victory?
8. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
9. How does Mafatu act like a child?
10. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu endures many struggles during his journey.
Part 1) How does he struggle on the canoe? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 2) How doe she struggle on the island? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 3) How do these trials and tribulations change his character?
Part 4) Could he have made these personal changes without going on this adventure? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 3
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)