|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
2. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
3. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
4. What would cause Mafatu to lose his spear or line?
5. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
2. What happens during the first major storm?
3. What does he see at the Sacred Place?
4. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
5. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
6. What wakes him the next morning?
7. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
8. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
9. Where does Mafatu head?
10. What is his victory?
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu goes through great change during his first day on the island.
Part 1) Describe this change. Why does this change occur?
Part 2) How does it affect the decisions he later makes?
Part 3) Predict how this change will affect him when he returns home.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu learns a lesson during the last chapter.
Part 1) What is this lesson? What events lead up to this lesson?
Part 2) How will this lesson help him through life?
Part 3) What can you learn from this lesson? How is it relevant to you?
Essay Topic 3
While on the island, Mafatu becomes fearless.
Part 1) How? What does this fearlessness do to his sense of reason?
Part 2) What does this fearlessness keep him from doing? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Describe a time when you have felt fearless. How did it affect your decision-making? How did it affect your relationship with others?
This section contains 1,864 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)