|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who treats Mafatu poorly?
2. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
3. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
4. What does Mafatu's mother decide to do?
5. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
2. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
3. How does Mafatu approach the cannibals?
4. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
5. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
6. What wakes him the next morning?
7. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
8. What gives Mafatu hope?
9. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
10. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu wants to make a boar's tooth necklace.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What makes him decide to do this?
Part 3) What is the reaction of his tribe when they see it? Why do they react this way?
Part 4) What in our culture would cause others to react in a similar way as Mafatu's tribe? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu endures many struggles during his journey.
Part 1) How does he struggle on the canoe? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 2) How doe she struggle on the island? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 3) How do these trials and tribulations change his character?
Part 4) Could he have made these personal changes without going on this adventure? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,837 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)