|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
2. What does Mafatu have to endure?
3. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
4. What is it time for the boys to do?
5. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
2. For what are the boys preparing?
3. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
4. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
5. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
6. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
7. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
8. How is Mafatu treated?
9. How does Chapter 2 end?
10. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu goes through great change during his first day on the island.
Part 1) Describe this change. Why does this change occur?
Part 2) How does it affect the decisions he later makes?
Part 3) Predict how this change will affect him when he returns home.
Essay Topic 2
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 3
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)