|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
2. What is Mafatu resolved to do?
3. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
4. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
5. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
2. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
3. How does Chapter 2 end?
4. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
5. What does Mafatu think about his father?
6. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
7. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
8. For what are the boys preparing?
9. What improves his mood?
10. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu prays to the Goddess of the Fishermen.
Part 1) Who is this goddess? Why does he pray to this goddess?
Part 2) Does the goddess help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mafatu behavior in times of trouble and need to your behavior.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu is the main character.
Part 1) Why was he called "The Boy Who Was Afraid?" Who called him this? How does he change throughout the story?
Part 2) What changes him?
Part 3) How are you known to others? How does this affect your behavior?
Part 4) Would you like to change how others think of you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)