|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
2. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
3. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
4. From what is Mafatu getting no relief?
5. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
2. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
3. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
4. Where does Mafatu head?
5. How is Mafatu treated?
6. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
7. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
8. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
9. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
10. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu learns a lesson during the last chapter.
Part 1) What is this lesson? What events lead up to this lesson?
Part 2) How will this lesson help him through life?
Part 3) What can you learn from this lesson? How is it relevant to you?
Essay Topic 2
While on the island, Mafatu becomes fearless.
Part 1) How? What does this fearlessness do to his sense of reason?
Part 2) What does this fearlessness keep him from doing? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Describe a time when you have felt fearless. How did it affect your decision-making? How did it affect your relationship with others?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu chooses to leave before the others wake.
Part 1) Why does he do this? What does he wonder about his tribe?
Part 2) What do you think were the reactions of the tribe? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How would your family react if they woke up one morning and you were gone? Compare and contrast their reaction to what you believe might be Mafatu's tribe's reaction.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)