|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mafatu resolved to do?
2. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
3. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
4. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
5. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
2. Where does Mafatu head?
3. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
4. For what are the boys preparing?
5. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
6. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
7. What does Mafatu think about his father?
8. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
9. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
10. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While on the island, Mafatu becomes fearless.
Part 1) How? What does this fearlessness do to his sense of reason?
Part 2) What does this fearlessness keep him from doing? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Describe a time when you have felt fearless. How did it affect your decision-making? How did it affect your relationship with others?
Essay Topic 2
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu wants to make a boar's tooth necklace.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What makes him decide to do this?
Part 3) What is the reaction of his tribe when they see it? Why do they react this way?
Part 4) What in our culture would cause others to react in a similar way as Mafatu's tribe? Why?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)