Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
2. What is coming their way?
3. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
4. Who might his father think had taken his son?
5. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
2. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
3. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
4. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
5. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
6. How is Mafatu treated?
7. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
8. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
9. What does the spearhead symbolize?
10. How does Mafatu get his canoe in the water, away from the warriors?
Mafatu finds time to act like a child during his journey.
Part 1) How does he act like a child? What does this say about his character?
Part 2) What do his childlike actions remind the reader about this character?
Part 3) Why might the author have made Mafatu act like a child on this island? What is his purpose?
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
Mafatu wants to make a boar's tooth necklace.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What makes him decide to do this?
Part 3) What is the reaction of his tribe when they see it? Why do they react this way?
Part 4) What in our culture would cause others to react in a similar way as Mafatu's tribe? Why?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)