|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The situation becomes very reminiscent of what?
2. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
3. What is coming their way?
4. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
5. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
2. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
3. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
4. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
5. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
6. For what are the boys preparing?
7. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
8. What does Mafatu think about his father?
9. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
10. What improves his mood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu's story is timeless.
Part 1) Why is it timeless?
Part 2) What can various cultures around the world learn from this story?
Part 3) How is this story significant to you?
Essay Topic 2
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)