|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
2. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
3. From what does Mafatu drink?
4. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
5. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the first major storm?
2. How is Mafatu treated?
3. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
4. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
5. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
6. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
7. For what are the boys preparing?
8. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
9. How does Chapter 2 end?
10. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)