|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the tiny canoe?
2. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
3. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
4. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
5. What happens just as suddenly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
2. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
3. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
4. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
5. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
6. How does Chapter 2 end?
7. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
8. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
9. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
10. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu finds time to act like a child during his journey.
Part 1) How does he act like a child? What does this say about his character?
Part 2) What do his childlike actions remind the reader about this character?
Part 3) Why might the author have made Mafatu act like a child on this island? What is his purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu spends much of his life in isolation.
Part 1) How has he been isolated up to the point his journey begins?
Part 2) How does this journey amplify his isolation?
Part 3) Will he be in isolation after his journey? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu prays to the Goddess of the Fishermen.
Part 1) Who is this goddess? Why does he pray to this goddess?
Part 2) Does the goddess help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mafatu behavior in times of trouble and need to your behavior.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)