|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Mafatu suddenly filled?
2. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
3. Soon, what comes?
4. What happens as the current gets quicker?
5. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
2. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
3. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
4. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
5. How does Chapter 2 end?
6. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
7. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
8. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
9. What improves his mood?
10. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a glimmer of Mafatu's moving toward self-sufficiency and independence.
Part 1) When does this first appear? How does his self-sufficiency and independence grow?
Part 2) How does his new sense of self guide him in the choices he makes?
Part 3) What does he learn about self-sufficiency and independence? Is it always good?
Part 4) Why or why not? How is this relevant in your own life?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu's story is timeless.
Part 1) Why is it timeless?
Part 2) What can various cultures around the world learn from this story?
Part 3) How is this story significant to you?
Essay Topic 3
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)