|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the tiny canoe?
2. The next day shows what?
3. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
4. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
5. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
2. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
3. What improves his mood?
4. What does Mafatu think about his father?
5. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
6. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
7. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
8. For what are the boys preparing?
9. How is Mafatu treated?
10. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu has many voids in his life.
Part 1) What are these voids?
Part 2) What is the most important void? How has he been dealing with this void?
Part 3) How does this void lead him to adventure and ultimately to change, growth, and fulfillment?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu chooses to leave before the others wake.
Part 1) Why does he do this? What does he wonder about his tribe?
Part 2) What do you think were the reactions of the tribe? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How would your family react if they woke up one morning and you were gone? Compare and contrast their reaction to what you believe might be Mafatu's tribe's reaction.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)