Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
2. What is coming their way?
3. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
4. Who might his father think had taken his son?
5. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
2. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
3. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
4. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
5. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
6. How is Mafatu treated?
7. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
8. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
9. What does the spearhead symbolize?
10. How does Mafatu get his canoe in the water, away from the warriors?
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu learns a lesson during the last chapter.
Part 1) What is this lesson? What events lead up to this lesson?
Part 2) How will this lesson help him through life?
Part 3) What can you learn from this lesson? How is it relevant to you?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu's story is timeless.
Part 1) Why is it timeless?
Part 2) What can various cultures around the world learn from this story?
Part 3) How is this story significant to you?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu collapses at the end of the book.
Part 1) What might have happened?
Part 2) What is significant about this?
Part 3) How might various interpretations of this ending affect readers?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)