|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as the current gets quicker?
2. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
3. What happens eventually and gradually?
4. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
5. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is his victory?
2. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
3. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
4. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
5. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
6. How is Mafatu treated?
7. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
8. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
9. Where does Mafatu head?
10. What happens during the night of the last leg of his journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu is the main character.
Part 1) Why was he called "The Boy Who Was Afraid?" Who called him this? How does he change throughout the story?
Part 2) What changes him?
Part 3) How are you known to others? How does this affect your behavior?
Part 4) Would you like to change how others think of you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu prays to the Goddess of the Fishermen.
Part 1) Who is this goddess? Why does he pray to this goddess?
Part 2) Does the goddess help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mafatu behavior in times of trouble and need to your behavior.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
This section contains 1,867 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)