Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
2. What is coming their way?
3. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
4. Who might his father think had taken his son?
5. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
2. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
3. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
4. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
5. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
6. How is Mafatu treated?
7. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
8. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
9. What does the spearhead symbolize?
10. How does Mafatu get his canoe in the water, away from the warriors?
Mafatu collapses at the end of the book.
Part 1) What might have happened?
Part 2) What is significant about this?
Part 3) How might various interpretations of this ending affect readers?
Mafatu endures many struggles during his journey.
Part 1) How does he struggle on the canoe? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 2) How doe she struggle on the island? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 3) How do these trials and tribulations change his character?
Part 4) Could he have made these personal changes without going on this adventure? Why or why not?
Mafatu is very self-sufficient.
Part 1) How is he self-sufficient? What can one learn about Mafatu's culture through his self-sufficiency?
Part 2) How does this new independence and knowledge both help and hurt him?
Part 3) Do you believe that people in our modern culture are self-sufficient? Why or why not?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)