|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
2. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
3. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
4. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
5. What does Mafatu have to endure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
2. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
3. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
4. What does Mafatu think about his father?
5. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
6. What happens during the first major storm?
7. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
8. How does Chapter 2 end?
9. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
10. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu finds time to act like a child during his journey.
Part 1) How does he act like a child? What does this say about his character?
Part 2) What do his childlike actions remind the reader about this character?
Part 3) Why might the author have made Mafatu act like a child on this island? What is his purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu learned many skills when living in Hikueru.
Part 1) What skills does he have? How had he thought about these skills when he had been at home?
Part 2) What does he think of these skills now? Why?
Part 3) How do these skills help build Mafatu's self-esteem?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)