|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
2. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
3. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
4. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
5. What no longer hangs around his neck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
2. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
3. How does Chapter 2 end?
4. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
5. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
6. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
7. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
8. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
9. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
10. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu chooses to leave before the others wake.
Part 1) Why does he do this? What does he wonder about his tribe?
Part 2) What do you think were the reactions of the tribe? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How would your family react if they woke up one morning and you were gone? Compare and contrast their reaction to what you believe might be Mafatu's tribe's reaction.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu is the main character.
Part 1) Why was he called "The Boy Who Was Afraid?" Who called him this? How does he change throughout the story?
Part 2) What changes him?
Part 3) How are you known to others? How does this affect your behavior?
Part 4) Would you like to change how others think of you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)