|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
2. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
3. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
4. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
5. Why can Mafatu stand up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
2. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
3. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
4. How does Chapter 2 end?
5. How is Mafatu treated?
6. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
7. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
8. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
9. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
10. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu goes through great change during his first day on the island.
Part 1) Describe this change. Why does this change occur?
Part 2) How does it affect the decisions he later makes?
Part 3) Predict how this change will affect him when he returns home.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu collapses at the end of the book.
Part 1) What might have happened?
Part 2) What is significant about this?
Part 3) How might various interpretations of this ending affect readers?
Essay Topic 3
While on the island, Mafatu becomes fearless.
Part 1) How? What does this fearlessness do to his sense of reason?
Part 2) What does this fearlessness keep him from doing? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Describe a time when you have felt fearless. How did it affect your decision-making? How did it affect your relationship with others?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)