|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
2. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
3. For what does Mafatu search?
4. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
5. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
2. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
3. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
4. What improves his mood?
5. What does Mafatu think about his father?
6. What happens during the first major storm?
7. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
8. How does Chapter 2 end?
9. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
10. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu endures many struggles during his journey.
Part 1) How does he struggle on the canoe? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 2) How doe she struggle on the island? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 3) How do these trials and tribulations change his character?
Part 4) Could he have made these personal changes without going on this adventure? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Seeing land is symbolic.
Part 1) When does he first see land on his journey? What does this symbolize?
Part 2) When looking at a neighboring island, what does he see? What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) Name two other times in history when seeing land has been significant. Explain the significance.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu collapses at the end of the book.
Part 1) What might have happened?
Part 2) What is significant about this?
Part 3) How might various interpretations of this ending affect readers?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)