|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
2. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
3. How long do they stay in the sea?
4. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
5. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
2. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
3. Of what is Mafatu acutely aware? How does this affect him?
4. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
5. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
6. Where does Mafatu head?
7. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
8. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
9. How is Mafatu treated?
10. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu spends much of his life in isolation.
Part 1) How has he been isolated up to the point his journey begins?
Part 2) How does this journey amplify his isolation?
Part 3) Will he be in isolation after his journey? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
This section contains 1,851 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)