|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kivi do after flying overhead?
2. What danger do they survive?
3. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
4. What happens eventually and gradually?
5. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
2. How does Chapter 2 end?
3. Why does Mafatu run to his canoe?
4. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
5. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
6. What gives Mafatu hope?
7. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
8. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
9. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
10. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu has many voids in his life.
Part 1) What are these voids?
Part 2) What is the most important void? How has he been dealing with this void?
Part 3) How does this void lead him to adventure and ultimately to change, growth, and fulfillment?
This section contains 1,824 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)