|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
2. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
3. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
4. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
5. Why can Mafatu stand up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
2. What happens during the first major storm?
3. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
4. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
5. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
6. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
7. How does Chapter 2 end?
8. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
9. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
10. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu chooses to leave before the others wake.
Part 1) Why does he do this? What does he wonder about his tribe?
Part 2) What do you think were the reactions of the tribe? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How would your family react if they woke up one morning and you were gone? Compare and contrast their reaction to what you believe might be Mafatu's tribe's reaction.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu spends much of his life in isolation.
Part 1) How has he been isolated up to the point his journey begins?
Part 2) How does this journey amplify his isolation?
Part 3) Will he be in isolation after his journey? Why or why not?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)