|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
2. The next day shows what?
3. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
4. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
5. What does the current do to their canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
2. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
3. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
4. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
5. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
6. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
7. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
8. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
9. What does Mafatu think about his father?
10. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu is very self-sufficient.
Part 1) How is he self-sufficient? What can one learn about Mafatu's culture through his self-sufficiency?
Part 2) How does this new independence and knowledge both help and hurt him?
Part 3) Do you believe that people in our modern culture are self-sufficient? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu endures many struggles during his journey.
Part 1) How does he struggle on the canoe? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 2) How doe she struggle on the island? How does he overcome these struggles?
Part 3) How do these trials and tribulations change his character?
Part 4) Could he have made these personal changes without going on this adventure? Why or why not?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)