|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are they end up in the churning sea?
2. What happens as the current gets quicker?
3. What does Mafatu's mother decide to do?
4. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
5. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the first major storm?
2. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
3. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
4. What does Mafatu think about his father?
5. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
6. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
7. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
8. How is Mafatu treated?
9. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
10. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu spends much of his life in isolation.
Part 1) How has he been isolated up to the point his journey begins?
Part 2) How does this journey amplify his isolation?
Part 3) Will he be in isolation after his journey? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu learns a lesson during the last chapter.
Part 1) What is this lesson? What events lead up to this lesson?
Part 2) How will this lesson help him through life?
Part 3) What can you learn from this lesson? How is it relevant to you?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu learned many skills when living in Hikueru.
Part 1) What skills does he have? How had he thought about these skills when he had been at home?
Part 2) What does he think of these skills now? Why?
Part 3) How do these skills help build Mafatu's self-esteem?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)