|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
2. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
3. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
4. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
5. What happens to the tiny canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Mafatu head?
2. What happens during the first major storm?
3. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
4. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
5. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
6. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
7. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
8. How is Mafatu treated?
9. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
10. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu is very self-sufficient.
Part 1) How is he self-sufficient? What can one learn about Mafatu's culture through his self-sufficiency?
Part 2) How does this new independence and knowledge both help and hurt him?
Part 3) Do you believe that people in our modern culture are self-sufficient? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu goes through great change during his first day on the island.
Part 1) Describe this change. Why does this change occur?
Part 2) How does it affect the decisions he later makes?
Part 3) Predict how this change will affect him when he returns home.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu prays to the Goddess of the Fishermen.
Part 1) Who is this goddess? Why does he pray to this goddess?
Part 2) Does the goddess help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mafatu behavior in times of trouble and need to your behavior.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)