|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
2. Who treats Mafatu poorly?
3. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
4. What does Kivi do after flying overhead?
5. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
2. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
3. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
4. What improves his mood?
5. Where does Mafatu head?
6. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
7. How does Chapter 2 end?
8. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
9. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
10. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu goes through great change during his first day on the island.
Part 1) Describe this change. Why does this change occur?
Part 2) How does it affect the decisions he later makes?
Part 3) Predict how this change will affect him when he returns home.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu learned many skills when living in Hikueru.
Part 1) What skills does he have? How had he thought about these skills when he had been at home?
Part 2) What does he think of these skills now? Why?
Part 3) How do these skills help build Mafatu's self-esteem?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)