|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would cause Mafatu to lose his spear or line?
2. What happens just as suddenly?
3. What does Mafatu's mother decide to do?
4. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
5. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
2. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
3. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
4. For what are the boys preparing?
5. Where does Mafatu head?
6. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
7. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
8. How does Chapter 2 end?
9. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
10. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu learned many skills when living in Hikueru.
Part 1) What skills does he have? How had he thought about these skills when he had been at home?
Part 2) What does he think of these skills now? Why?
Part 3) How do these skills help build Mafatu's self-esteem?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)