|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the current do to their canoe?
2. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
3. The next day shows what?
4. What does Uri do for Mafatu?
5. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
2. What happens during the first major storm?
3. For what are the boys preparing?
4. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
5. Where does Mafatu head?
6. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
7. How is Mafatu treated?
8. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
9. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
10. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu wants to make a boar's tooth necklace.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What makes him decide to do this?
Part 3) What is the reaction of his tribe when they see it? Why do they react this way?
Part 4) What in our culture would cause others to react in a similar way as Mafatu's tribe? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu has many voids in his life.
Part 1) What are these voids?
Part 2) What is the most important void? How has he been dealing with this void?
Part 3) How does this void lead him to adventure and ultimately to change, growth, and fulfillment?
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu spends much of his life in isolation.
Part 1) How has he been isolated up to the point his journey begins?
Part 2) How does this journey amplify his isolation?
Part 3) Will he be in isolation after his journey? Why or why not?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)