|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Mafatu pray?
2. The next day shows what?
3. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
4. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
5. What does the current do to their canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
2. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
3. What does Mafatu think about his father?
4. What improves his mood?
5. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
6. How is Mafatu treated?
7. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
8. How does Chapter 2 end?
9. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
10. What happens during the first major storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu is very self-sufficient.
Part 1) How is he self-sufficient? What can one learn about Mafatu's culture through his self-sufficiency?
Part 2) How does this new independence and knowledge both help and hurt him?
Part 3) Do you believe that people in our modern culture are self-sufficient? Why or why not?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)