|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it time for the boys to do?
2. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
3. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
4. What no longer hangs around his neck?
5. What is coming their way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
2. What happens during the first major storm?
3. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
4. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
5. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
6. How is Mafatu treated?
7. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
8. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
9. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
10. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu resolves to overcome his fears.
Part 1) How does his resolve show maturity? How does his resolve also show a childlike dependency?
Part 2) Does he overcome his fears? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What fears have you overcome? Compare and contrast your experience with that of Mafatu.
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu takes only the bare essentials on his adventure.
Part 1) What does he take with him? How is this symbolic?
Part 2) How does the training he has received in his culture prepare him find what he needs using these basic supplies?
Part 3) Are you prepared by your culture to survive independently? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)