|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
2. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
3. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
4. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
5. Who treats Mafatu poorly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
2. Where does Mafatu head?
3. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
4. For what are the boys preparing?
5. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
6. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
7. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
8. How is Mafatu treated?
9. What happens during the first major storm?
10. What does Mafatu think about his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mafatu is the main character.
Part 1) Why was he called "The Boy Who Was Afraid?" Who called him this? How does he change throughout the story?
Part 2) What changes him?
Part 3) How are you known to others? How does this affect your behavior?
Part 4) Would you like to change how others think of you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu chooses to leave before the others wake.
Part 1) Why does he do this? What does he wonder about his tribe?
Part 2) What do you think were the reactions of the tribe? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How would your family react if they woke up one morning and you were gone? Compare and contrast their reaction to what you believe might be Mafatu's tribe's reaction.
Essay Topic 3
Mafatu prays to the Goddess of the Fishermen.
Part 1) Who is this goddess? Why does he pray to this goddess?
Part 2) Does the goddess help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mafatu behavior in times of trouble and need to your behavior.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)