|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
2. The next day shows what?
3. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
4. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
5. To whom does Mafatu pray?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what are the boys preparing?
2. Where does Mafatu head?
3. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
4. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
5. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
6. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
7. What does Mafatu think about his father?
8. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
9. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
10. How does Chapter 2 end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a glimmer of Mafatu's moving toward self-sufficiency and independence.
Part 1) When does this first appear? How does his self-sufficiency and independence grow?
Part 2) How does his new sense of self guide him in the choices he makes?
Part 3) What does he learn about self-sufficiency and independence? Is it always good?
Part 4) Why or why not? How is this relevant in your own life?
Essay Topic 2
Mafatu is very self-sufficient.
Part 1) How is he self-sufficient? What can one learn about Mafatu's culture through his self-sufficiency?
Part 2) How does this new independence and knowledge both help and hurt him?
Part 3) Do you believe that people in our modern culture are self-sufficient? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
After arriving on the island, Mafatu finds a spearhead.
Part 1) Why does he take it? How is taking the spearhead a victory?
Part 2) What does the spearhead symbolize?
Part 3) To what does this victory lead? How does this one event change his life forever?
Part 4) Describe an event that had a large impact on your life.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)