|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he soon do?
(a) Climb to the top of the ladder.
(b) Reaches the summit of the hill.
(c) Climb to the top of a tree.
(d) Finds fresh water.
2. What has happened when he had taken an item from a sacred place?
(c) Lightning and thunder.
(d) A strong wind blew.
3. Why does Mafatu build up a large fire?
(a) He is cold.
(b) So others will see him.
(c) So that he can heat some stones.
(d) To burn his trash.
4. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
(a) He grabs him.
(b) He stabs him in the belly.
(c) He pushes on his gills.
(d) He taunts him.
5. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A lean-to.
(d) A plate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
2. What does Mafatu sees after he slides down the lava slide?
3. What does he want from his town and his father?
4. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
5. What does Mafatu need to fashion a new canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
2. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
3. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
4. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
5. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
6. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
7. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
8. What does the spearhead symbolize?
9. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
10. What wakes him the next morning?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)