|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has always scared him away when he went out to the reef to set his traps?
(a) The fish.
(b) The hammerhead shark.
(c) The current.
(d) The murky water.
2. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
3. What does Mafatu wake up the next morning and remember?
(a) That Kivi never returned.
(b) How his mother died.
(c) The crazy events that led him to the beach on which he now lays.
(d) That Uri was injured.
4. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
(b) A wave.
(d) The shark.
5. When does the tree fall to the ground?
(a) When it yields to Mafatu pulling on the rope.
(b) When the fire has burned through the trunk.
(c) When it yields to his weight.
(d) When a strong wind blows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbolizes the courage it took to approach the sacred idol and seize what he needed?
2. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred spot?
3. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
4. What does Mafatu now realize about himself?
5. What does he need to make a fishhook?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
2. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
3. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
4. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
5. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
6. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
7. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
8. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
9. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
10. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)