|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he wonder about this island?
(a) If there are animals on this island.
(b) If this is where they offered their sacrifices.
(c) If he will ever escape it.
(d) Where he should build his home.
2. What does the boy plan to wait until the next day to do?
(a) Look for cannibals.
(b) Continue the process.
(c) Think about his father.
(d) Hunt for food.
3. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(a) Full of his own confidence.
4. He hated doing these tasks back in Hikueru. How does he feel now?
(a) He wishes he were better at them.
(b) He wishes he had practiced them more at home.
(c) He still hates them.
(d) He is grateful for the skills now.
5. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
(c) Wild limes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the following days find Mafatu?
2. How does he feel as he heads out to the reef?
3. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
4. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
5. What does Mafatu need to fashion a new canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
2. How does Mafatu act like a child?
3. What does the spearhead symbolize?
4. What is his victory?
5. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
6. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
7. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
8. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
9. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
10. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)