|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
(a) He is afraid of the island.
(b) He does not know how to catch food.
(c) He is not yet strong enough to climb one of the many coconut trees on the island.
(d) He does not know where to look for food.
2. How does Mafatu fell a tree?
(a) By burning the base of the tree.
(b) With an axe.
(c) By climbing up it and leaning to the side.
(d) By tying a rope to it and pulling on it.
3. Who does he praise for bringing him safely to this island and for giving him courage?
(a) His mother.
4. What does Mafatu begin fashioning?
(a) A canoe.
(b) A spit.
(c) A lean-to.
(d) Weapons and other useful items.
5. How does he move toward the idol?
(a) He glides toward it.
(b) He runs toward it.
(c) He circles it.
(d) He inches toward it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
2. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
3. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
4. What does Mafatu sees after he slides down the lava slide?
5. What would he never again be called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
2. How does Mafatu act like a child?
3. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
4. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
5. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
6. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
7. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
8. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
9. What does the spearhead symbolize?
10. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)