|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
(a) Smoke rising from the trees.
(b) Canoes in the distance.
(c) A storm brewing.
(d) Kivi flying in the sky.
2. How does he move toward the idol?
(a) He circles it.
(b) He runs toward it.
(c) He inches toward it.
(d) He glides toward it.
3. What frightens Mafatu?
(a) To see the shark heading right for his dog.
(b) The dark water.
(c) The waves.
(d) The current.
4. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
(a) So he could have a home of his own.
(b) So she could speak with him.
(c) So he could practice his hunting skills.
(d) So he would be safe.
5. What does he soon do?
(a) Climb to the top of the ladder.
(b) Finds fresh water.
(c) Climb to the top of a tree.
(d) Reaches the summit of the hill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Mafatu tries to catch his friend?
2. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
3. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
4. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
5. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
2. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
3. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
4. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
5. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
6. What is his victory?
7. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
8. How does Mafatu act like a child?
9. What does the spearhead symbolize?
10. What wakes him the next morning?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)