|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would he never again be called?
(a) His father's son.
(b) An unskilled boy.
(d) A member of his tribe.
2. What has always scared him away when he went out to the reef to set his traps?
(a) The murky water.
(b) The current.
(c) The hammerhead shark.
(d) The fish.
3. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
(a) He grabs him.
(b) He taunts him.
(c) He stabs him in the belly.
(d) He pushes on his gills.
4. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
(a) He is afraid.
(b) It wasted too much of his time.
(c) He is too tired.
(d) It is scary.
5. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
(a) Glad that Uri had finally eaten.
(b) Furious at his hours of work gone down the drain.
(c) Upset with Kivi.
(d) Slightly irritated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
2. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
3. The next day, what does Mafatu begin to rebuild?
4. Why does Mafatu build up a large fire?
5. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
2. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
3. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
4. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
5. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
6. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
7. How does Mafatu act like a child?
8. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
9. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
10. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)