|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has always scared him away when he went out to the reef to set his traps?
(a) The murky water.
(b) The fish.
(c) The hammerhead shark.
(d) The current.
2. What does Mafatu need to fashion a new canoe?
(a) A tamanu tree.
(c) A palm tree.
(d) An oak tree.
3. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
(b) His mother.
(d) Children in Tahiti.
4. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(c) Full of his own confidence.
5. How does he feel after the climb to the lookout?
(a) His injured leg hurts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
2. What does he want from his town and his father?
3. What does Mafatu sees after he slides down the lava slide?
4. What is Mafatu's reaction when the water begins to get turbulent?
5. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
2. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
3. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
4. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
5. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
6. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
7. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
8. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
9. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
10. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)