|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu begin to take care of?
(a) Taking care of Uri.
(b) Building his canoe.
(c) The other myriad tasks that need doing.
(d) Finding food.
2. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
(a) He grabs him.
(b) He stabs him in the belly.
(c) He pushes on his gills.
(d) He taunts him.
3. What is he able to make?
(a) A gun.
(b) Nets, knives, sharkline and fishhooks.
(c) A flying machine.
(d) A hammock.
4. What is a moto tabu?
(a) A type of food.
(b) A prayer.
(c) His favorite phrase.
(d) A Forbidden Island.
5. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(c) Full of his own confidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
2. How does he feel after building a fire?
3. To where does he head?
4. What symbolizes the courage it took to approach the sacred idol and seize what he needed?
5. What happens when a large wave tips the raft at a severe angle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
2. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
3. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
4. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
5. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
6. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
7. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
8. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
9. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
10. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)