|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the following days find Mafatu?
(a) Busy all the time.
(d) More worried.
2. The next day, what does Mafatu begin to rebuild?
(a) His canoe.
(b) His friendships.
(c) His shelter.
(d) His life.
3. What is Mafatu's reaction when the water begins to get turbulent?
(a) He looks for Uri.
(b) He becomes frightened.
(c) He looks for sharks.
(d) He is not scared anymore.
4. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
(a) The shark.
(d) A wave.
5. What happens when Mafatu tries to catch his friend?
(a) He falls in too.
(b) He drops him.
(c) He is too late.
(d) He makes a net.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he want from his town and his father?
2. What happens when a large wave tips the raft at a severe angle?
3. He hated doing these tasks back in Hikueru. How does he feel now?
4. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
5. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
2. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
3. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
4. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
5. What does the spearhead symbolize?
6. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
7. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
8. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
9. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
10. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)