|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu wake up the next morning and remember?
(a) That Uri was injured.
(b) How his mother died.
(c) The crazy events that led him to the beach on which he now lays.
(d) That Kivi never returned.
2. What has always scared him away when he went out to the reef to set his traps?
(a) The murky water.
(b) The hammerhead shark.
(c) The current.
(d) The fish.
3. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
(a) Before he fells the tree.
(b) When the fire has almost burned through the trunk of the tree.
(c) After the tree has fallen.
(d) As the tree is falling.
4. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
(a) Furious at his hours of work gone down the drain.
(b) Slightly irritated.
(c) Glad that Uri had finally eaten.
(d) Upset with Kivi.
5. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
(a) It further complicates the situation.
(b) It makes him excited about the challenge.
(c) It irritates him.
(d) It worries him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he feel after building a fire?
2. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
3. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
4. About what is Mafatu unsure?
5. What does he use to pull himself up the slope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
2. What wakes him the next morning?
3. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
4. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
5. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
6. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
7. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
8. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
9. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
10. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)