|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
(c) The shark.
(d) A wave.
2. What does the boy plan to wait until the next day to do?
(a) Hunt for food.
(b) Think about his father.
(c) Continue the process.
(d) Look for cannibals.
3. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
(a) Excited to drop the craft in the water.
(d) Worn out.
4. What does Mafatu wake up the next morning and remember?
(a) That Uri was injured.
(b) That Kivi never returned.
(c) How his mother died.
(d) The crazy events that led him to the beach on which he now lays.
5. What happens when a large wave tips the raft at a severe angle?
(a) Kivi falls in the water.
(b) The fish traps fall in the water.
(c) Uri falls into the water.
(d) Mafatu falls in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he soon do?
2. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
3. What is a moto tabu?
4. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
5. How does he feel as he heads out to the reef?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
2. What is his victory?
3. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
4. What does the spearhead symbolize?
5. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
6. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
7. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
8. What wakes him the next morning?
9. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
10. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)