|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mafatu build up a large fire?
(a) He is cold.
(b) To burn his trash.
(c) So others will see him.
(d) So that he can heat some stones.
2. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
(a) Kivi flying in the sky.
(b) Canoes in the distance.
(c) A storm brewing.
(d) Smoke rising from the trees.
3. What is he able to make?
(a) Nets, knives, sharkline and fishhooks.
(b) A flying machine.
(c) A hammock.
(d) A gun.
4. What does he wonder about this island?
(a) If there are animals on this island.
(b) If he will ever escape it.
(c) Where he should build his home.
(d) If this is where they offered their sacrifices.
5. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
(a) He likes to kill.
(b) He killed a boar.
(c) He is strong.
(d) His bravery and hunting prowess.
Short Answer Questions
1. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
2. What does he think about again?
3. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
4. How does he feel when he moves a bone?
5. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what thoughts does the sighting of the wild boar lead?
2. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
3. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
4. How does Mafatu act like a child?
5. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
6. What wakes him the next morning?
7. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
8. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
9. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
10. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)