|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
(b) The dorsal fin of the shark poking through the water.
(c) A man.
2. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
(a) As the tree is falling.
(b) After the tree has fallen.
(c) Before he fells the tree.
(d) When the fire has almost burned through the trunk of the tree.
3. What does he use to pull himself up the slope?
(a) The hanging vines.
(b) A ladder.
(d) A tree.
4. What does he wonder about this island?
(a) If this is where they offered their sacrifices.
(b) Where he should build his home.
(c) If he will ever escape it.
(d) If there are animals on this island.
5. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(b) Full of his own confidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the tree fall to the ground?
2. What is Mafatu's reaction when the water begins to get turbulent?
3. How do the following days find Mafatu?
4. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
5. What has rooted Mafatu to the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
2. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
3. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
4. What does Mafatu resolve to do each day?
5. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
6. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
7. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
8. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
9. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
10. What does the spearhead symbolize?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)