|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu wake up the next morning and remember?
(a) That Kivi never returned.
(b) How his mother died.
(c) The crazy events that led him to the beach on which he now lays.
(d) That Uri was injured.
2. What does Mafatu discover lying on the beach?
(a) The skeleton of a whale.
(b) A shark.
(c) A man.
(d) A raft.
3. What does he think about again?
(a) How hungry he is.
(b) The island he had seen with the smoke rising above the trees.
(c) The island is dangerous.
(d) How alone he is.
4. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
(a) A shock.
(b) A gift.
(c) A surpise.
(d) It is a victory.
5. What does the boy plan to wait until the next day to do?
(a) Look for cannibals.
(b) Hunt for food.
(c) Think about his father.
(d) Continue the process.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened when he had taken an item from a sacred place?
2. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
3. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
4. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
5. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
2. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
3. How does Mafatu act like a child?
4. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
5. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
6. How does Mafatu go about making a raft? Why is the raft important?
7. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
8. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout?
9. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
10. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)