|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What frightens Mafatu?
(a) The dark water.
(b) The waves.
(c) The current.
(d) To see the shark heading right for his dog.
2. What have been recently burned?
(a) The trees around the clearing.
(b) Piles of wood.
(c) Piles of bones.
3. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
(a) A wave.
(d) The shark.
4. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
5. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
(a) Excited to drop the craft in the water.
(c) Worn out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mafatu's reaction when the water begins to get turbulent?
2. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
3. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
4. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
5. About what is Mafatu unsure?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
2. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
3. What happens when Mafatu and Uri are on the raft?
4. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
5. What is his victory?
6. How does Mafatu react when the water becomes turbulent? Why does he react this way?
7. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
8. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred platform? Why does he need it?
9. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
10. How does Mafatu prepare the pig?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)