|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mafatu feel?
2. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
(a) She wants the food for herself.
(b) She is full of fear.
(c) The food is hard to get to.
(d) She is incredibly weak from the long battle.
3. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
(a) He is perceived to be a bringer of bad luck.
(b) He is not skilled enough to fish.
(c) There are too many fishermen.
(d) His father worries about him.
4. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
(a) A cloudless sky.
(b) More birds.
(c) Fresh water.
(d) Land in the distance.
5. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
(a) Continue to fish.
(b) Send Mafatu with the other fishermen.
(c) Continue looking for sea urchins.
(d) Head back to shore.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
2. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
3. What happens as the current gets quicker?
4. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
5. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what are the boys preparing?
2. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
3. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
4. What improves his mood?
5. What happens during the first major storm?
6. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
7. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
8. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
9. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
10. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)