|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else taunts him?
(a) The fish.
(b) The sea.
(c) The tribal warriors.
(d) His mother, in his dreams.
2. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
(a) She heeds their warning.
(b) She changes her mind and follows them.
(c) She pays them no attention.
(d) She laughs at them.
3. How are they end up in the churning sea?
(a) When the boat collapses.
(b) When their boat capsizes.
(c) When Mafatu's mother jumps overboard.
(d) When the boat begins to leak.
4. What does Mafatu's mother decide to do?
(a) Join the other canoes.
(b) Send Mafatu with the other men.
(c) Find a new fishing spot.
(d) Brave the elements.
5. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
(a) If he does not know how to fish.
(b) If he is afraid to use weapons.
(c) If he is not strong enough.
(d) If he is afraid to venture past the water's edge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What no longer hangs around his neck?
2. What does the current do to their canoe?
3. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
4. How does Mafatu feel?
5. The next day shows what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
2. What must Mafatu fight the next morning?
3. Where does Mafatu head?
4. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
5. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
6. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
7. What is his victory?
8. What does Mafatu think about his father?
9. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
10. What will happen if he could kill the pig?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)