|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
(a) Why his mother stayed on the sea.
(b) When he will see his mother again.
(c) Where his mother has gone.
(d) How he is ever going to become a fisherman.
2. How long do they stay in the sea?
(a) Two days.
(b) For a few hours.
(c) One week.
(d) For the whole of the night.
3. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
(a) To get away from those who tease him.
(b) In order to prove his worth as a fisherman.
(c) To be more helpful.
(d) In order to have a better relationship with his father.
4. What is Mafatu resolved to do?
(a) Tell the boys what he thinks of their work.
(b) Never to return to Hikueru unless he is successful in his pursuit.
(c) Continue doing what he loves.
(d) Run away.
5. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
(a) If he does not know how to fish.
(b) If he is not strong enough.
(c) If he is afraid to venture past the water's edge.
(d) If he is afraid to use weapons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has a current formed?
2. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
3. What does Mafatu have to endure?
4. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
5. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what are the boys preparing?
2. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
3. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
4. What happens during the first major storm?
5. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
6. How does Chapter 2 end?
7. Where does Mafatu head?
8. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
9. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
10. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)