|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
(a) Unfulfilled and ashamed.
(b) Slightly embarrassed but eager to keep attempting.
(c) Anxious to try again.
(d) Nervous and shy.
2. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
(a) He is hungry.
(b) He wants to find Uri.
(c) He is driven by a will to live.
(d) The water is so cold.
3. What danger do they survive?
(d) The sharks circling around them.
4. What else taunts him?
(a) His mother, in his dreams.
(b) The sea.
(c) The fish.
(d) The tribal warriors.
5. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
(a) If he is afraid to venture past the water's edge.
(b) If he does not know how to fish.
(c) If he is afraid to use weapons.
(d) If he is not strong enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
2. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
3. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
4. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
5. What would cause Mafatu to lose his spear or line?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
2. Why does Mafatu become frightened?
3. What is his victory?
4. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
5. How is Mafatu treated?
6. What are the first steps in making a canoe in Mafatu's culture?
7. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
8. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
9. What does Mafatu remember and believe when he wakes up the next morning?
10. What gives Mafatu hope?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)