|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
(a) To look for sea urchins.
(b) To swim through the coral.
(c) To look for his father.
(d) To catch fish.
2. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) The storm lets up.
(b) The sun sets.
(c) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
(d) The storm picks up.
3. What does Uri do for Mafatu?
(a) He licks his face.
(b) His thumping tail provides comfort and reassurance.
(c) He catches fish.
(d) He steers the canoe.
4. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
(a) She wants the food for herself.
(b) She is full of fear.
(c) She is incredibly weak from the long battle.
(d) The food is hard to get to.
5. What happens just as suddenly?
(a) Uri climbs back in the canoe.
(b) Kivi leaves again.
(c) The canoe stops moving.
(d) The wind dies down and the sea is still again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
2. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
3. Soon, what comes?
4. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
5. Who might his father think had taken his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mafatu treated?
2. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
3. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
4. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
5. Where does Mafatu head?
6. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
7. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
8. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
9. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
10. For what are the boys preparing?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)