|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
(a) No whales were around him.
(b) The storm was not very strong.
(c) The hail lasted only a moment.
(d) He has survived.
2. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
(a) If he is afraid to use weapons.
(b) If he is afraid to venture past the water's edge.
(c) If he does not know how to fish.
(d) If he is not strong enough.
3. What no longer hangs around his neck?
(a) A symbol of the Sea God.
(b) His knife.
(c) A gift from his father.
(d) His canteen.
4. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(a) Slightly nervous.
(c) Relaxed for the first time.
(d) Gripped by terror.
5. With what is Mafatu suddenly filled?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Mafatu stand up?
2. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
3. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
4. Who might his father think had taken his son?
5. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
Short Essay Questions
1. What wakes him the next morning?
2. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
3. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
4. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
5. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
6. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
7. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
8. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
9. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
10. How does Mafatu realize there are humans nearby?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)