|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mafatu resolved to do?
(a) Run away.
(b) Tell the boys what he thinks of their work.
(c) Never to return to Hikueru unless he is successful in his pursuit.
(d) Continue doing what he loves.
2. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
(a) Learn a new skill.
(b) Tell his father how he feels.
(c) Shrug off his restraints and face his fear.
(d) Leave home.
3. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) The silence and disapproval of his father.
(b) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
(c) His inability to fight.
(d) His lack of a mother.
4. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
(a) The Sea God.
(b) A giant wave starts thundering toward the canoe.
(c) An underwater cave.
(d) A giant whale.
5. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
(a) Kivi is calling to him.
(b) Uri is nowhere to be found.
(c) Uri is choking for air, stuck under the bow.
(d) A shark is circling his canoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
2. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
3. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
4. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
5. Why can Mafatu stand up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
2. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
3. For what are the boys preparing?
4. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
5. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
6. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
7. What does Mafatu think about his father?
8. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
9. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
10. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)