|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(a) His father's canoe.
(c) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
(d) Uri's body.
2. What does the current do to their canoe?
(a) It pushes it towards the other canoes.
(b) It goes around it.
(c) It takes hold of it.
(d) It spins it around.
3. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
(a) A giant whale.
(b) A giant wave starts thundering toward the canoe.
(c) The Sea God.
(d) An underwater cave.
4. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) Maui is holding his hand.
(b) His mother's spirit stands him up.
(c) There is sand beneath his feet.
(d) Uri helps him.
5. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
(a) She changes her mind and follows them.
(b) She laughs at them.
(c) She pays them no attention.
(d) She heeds their warning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
2. Who might his father think had taken his son?
3. What no longer hangs around his neck?
4. How long do they stay in the sea?
5. The next day shows what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
2. What wakes him the next morning?
3. What does the spearhead symbolize?
4. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
5. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
6. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
7. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
8. How does Mafatu get his canoe in the water, away from the warriors?
9. Where does Mafatu head?
10. Why does Mafatu run to his canoe?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)