|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
(b) His lack of a mother.
(c) His inability to fight.
(d) The silence and disapproval of his father.
2. What does Uri do for Mafatu?
(a) He licks his face.
(b) His thumping tail provides comfort and reassurance.
(c) He catches fish.
(d) He steers the canoe.
3. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
(a) He screams.
(b) He hugs Uri.
(c) He cuts his arm.
(d) He buries his face in his arms, crying.
4. What does Mafatu's mother decide to do?
(a) Find a new fishing spot.
(b) Send Mafatu with the other men.
(c) Brave the elements.
(d) Join the other canoes.
5. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
(a) Uri and Kivi.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
2. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
3. Where has a current formed?
4. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
5. Who treats Mafatu poorly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
2. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
3. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
4. What improves his mood?
5. Where does Mafatu head?
6. How does Chapter 2 end?
7. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
8. What does Mafatu think about his father?
9. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
10. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)