|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
(a) Land in the distance.
(b) More birds.
(c) Fresh water.
(d) A cloudless sky.
2. What happens to the tiny canoe?
(a) It spins in a circle.
(b) It is lifted into the air and torn to splinters on the reef.
(c) It tips over.
(d) It speeds up.
3. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
(a) A miracle that occurred early in his childhood.
(b) A life-changing event that happened to him early in his childhood.
(c) When his father grew a heart.
(d) How he became a member of the tribe.
4. Soon, what comes?
(a) His father.
(b) Another night.
(d) Another storm.
5. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
(a) He does not have the skills to overcome his fear.
(b) He is only successful for a little while.
(c) He is overcome by the power of the sea to intimidate him.
(d) Everyone laughs at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
2. What does Kivi do after flying overhead?
3. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
4. What gives them relief from the heat?
5. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu push away thoughts of home and his father?
2. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
3. How does the story end?
4. For what are the boys preparing?
5. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
6. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
7. How does Mafatu escape the warriors?
8. What does Mafatu do when his canoe is complete?
9. What does he see at the Sacred Place?
10. What does Mafatu do when he sees the whale?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)