|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has a current formed?
(a) Around her canoe.
(b) By the shoulder of the reef passage.
(c) By the other canoes.
(d) On the other side of the reef.
2. With what is Mafatu suddenly filled?
3. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
(c) His father.
4. The next day shows what?
(a) More signs of stormy weather.
(b) No signs of the previous night's storm.
(c) Fish to catch.
(d) An island nearby.
5. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
(a) A shadow.
(c) Thunder and lightning.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
2. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
3. Soon, what comes?
4. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
5. From what does Mafatu drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
2. What does Mafatu think about his father?
3. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
4. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
5. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
6. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
7. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
8. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
9. How does Chapter 2 end?
10. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)