|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) His lack of a mother.
(b) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
(c) His inability to fight.
(d) The silence and disapproval of his father.
2. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
(a) A miracle that occurred early in his childhood.
(b) When his father grew a heart.
(c) A life-changing event that happened to him early in his childhood.
(d) How he became a member of the tribe.
3. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
(d) His father.
4. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
(b) His father.
(c) Uri and Kivi.
5. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
(a) If he does not know how to fish.
(b) If he is not strong enough.
(c) If he is afraid to use weapons.
(d) If he is afraid to venture past the water's edge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu's mother decide to do?
2. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
3. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
4. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
5. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 2 end?
2. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
3. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
4. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
5. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
6. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
7. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
8. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
9. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
10. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)