|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) The sharks are circling him.
(b) There is a storm coming.
(c) He can drink the water.
(d) There is a school of fish below him.
2. Soon, what comes?
(a) Another night.
(c) Another storm.
(d) His father.
3. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
(a) He screams.
(b) He buries his face in his arms, crying.
(c) He hugs Uri.
(d) He cuts his arm.
4. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
(a) If he would be upset, once he realizes his son is missing.
(b) If he will follow him.
(c) If he will be angry with him.
(d) It he will be relieved that his son has left.
5. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
(a) He is drowning.
(b) He cannot find his dog.
(c) He has hit his head.
(d) How far away from home he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has a current formed?
2. How long do they stay in the sea?
3. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
4. From what does Mafatu drink?
5. What does Mafatu have to endure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Mafatu head?
2. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
3. For what are the boys preparing?
4. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
5. What does Mafatu think about his father?
6. How does Chapter 2 end?
7. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
8. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
9. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
10. How is Mafatu treated?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)