|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What no longer hangs around his neck?
(a) A symbol of the Sea God.
(b) His knife.
(c) A gift from his father.
(d) His canteen.
2. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
(a) If he will be angry with him.
(b) If he will follow him.
(c) It he will be relieved that his son has left.
(d) If he would be upset, once he realizes his son is missing.
3. What else taunts him?
(a) The sea.
(b) The fish.
(c) The tribal warriors.
(d) His mother, in his dreams.
4. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
(a) His father.
(c) Uri and Kivi.
5. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(a) Slightly nervous.
(b) Gripped by terror.
(d) Relaxed for the first time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
2. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
3. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
4. What does Mafatu have to endure?
5. The next day shows what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
2. What does Mafatu describe at the beginning of the chapter?
3. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
4. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
5. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
6. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
7. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
8. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
9. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
10. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)