|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) There is a school of fish below him.
(b) The sharks are circling him.
(c) He can drink the water.
(d) There is a storm coming.
2. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
(a) A bag.
(b) A gourd.
(c) A canoe.
(d) A box.
3. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) The sun sets.
(b) The storm lets up.
(c) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
(d) The storm picks up.
4. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
(a) They find a new place to fish.
(b) They head for the safety of dry land.
(c) They slowly head back home.
(d) They count their catch.
5. What happens as the current gets quicker?
(a) The canoe moves faster.
(b) Kivi returns.
(c) The wind begins to pick up.
(d) Uri falls in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who might his father think had taken his son?
2. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
3. What happens to the tiny canoe?
4. What else taunts him?
5. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the storm? To what does Mafatu awaken?
2. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
3. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
4. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
5. How does Chapter 2 end?
6. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
7. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
8. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
9. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
10. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)