|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
(a) Uri has fallen in the water.
(b) His father's canoe is behind him.
(c) He sees his goddess.
(d) The sight of land spurring him onward.
2. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) Blame for his mother's death.
(b) Endless mocking and ridicule.
(c) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(d) The ridicule from a step-mother.
3. What would cause Mafatu to lose his spear or line?
(a) The rough seas.
(b) Bad memories would take over his hands.
(c) Other children.
(d) A large fish.
4. What else taunts him?
(a) The fish.
(b) His mother, in his dreams.
(c) The sea.
(d) The tribal warriors.
5. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
(a) He screams.
(b) He cuts his arm.
(c) He hugs Uri.
(d) He buries his face in his arms, crying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
2. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
3. How are they end up in the churning sea?
4. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
5. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mafatu treated?
2. What does Mafatu think about his father?
3. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
4. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
5. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
6. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
7. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
8. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
9. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
10. What improves his mood?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)