|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is coming their way?
(a) A storm.
(b) His father.
(c) A group of warriors.
(d) A tidal wave.
2. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) Blame for his mother's death.
(b) Endless mocking and ridicule.
(c) The ridicule from a step-mother.
(d) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
3. From what does Mafatu drink?
(a) One of the green drinking nuts.
(b) The sea.
(c) A canteen.
(d) A coconut.
4. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
(a) She heeds their warning.
(b) She changes her mind and follows them.
(c) She laughs at them.
(d) She pays them no attention.
5. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
(a) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who might his father think had taken his son?
2. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
3. What else taunts him?
4. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
5. What does the current do to their canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
2. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
3. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
4. How does Chapter 2 end?
5. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
6. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
7. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
8. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
9. For what are the boys preparing?
10. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)