|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has a current formed?
(a) Around her canoe.
(b) By the shoulder of the reef passage.
(c) On the other side of the reef.
(d) By the other canoes.
2. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
(a) If he is afraid to venture past the water's edge.
(b) If he does not know how to fish.
(c) If he is afraid to use weapons.
(d) If he is not strong enough.
3. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(a) Uri's body.
(b) His father's canoe.
(d) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
4. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
(a) She is full of fear.
(b) She is incredibly weak from the long battle.
(c) The food is hard to get to.
(d) She wants the food for herself.
5. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
(a) He is drowning.
(b) He cannot find his dog.
(c) He has hit his head.
(d) How far away from home he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
2. What is it time for the boys to do?
3. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
4. Soon, what comes?
5. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
2. How does Chapter 2 end?
3. What happens during the first major storm?
4. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
5. What does Mafatu think about his father?
6. Where does Mafatu head?
7. For what are the boys preparing?
8. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
9. How does Mafatu feel when he sees land in the distance?
10. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)