|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
(a) Nervous and shy.
(b) Anxious to try again.
(c) Slightly embarrassed but eager to keep attempting.
(d) Unfulfilled and ashamed.
2. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
(a) Catches a fish.
(b) Flies to him.
(c) Flies overhead.
(d) He flies away.
3. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) The storm picks up.
(b) The sun sets.
(c) The storm lets up.
(d) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
4. What is Mafatu resolved to do?
(a) Continue doing what he loves.
(b) Run away.
(c) Tell the boys what he thinks of their work.
(d) Never to return to Hikueru unless he is successful in his pursuit.
5. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
(a) To look for his father.
(b) To swim through the coral.
(c) To catch fish.
(d) To look for sea urchins.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does Mafatu drink?
2. What gives them relief from the heat?
3. What does the current do to their canoe?
4. With what is Mafatu suddenly filled?
5. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu struggle through the day?
2. What improves his mood?
3. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
4. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
5. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
6. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
7. What has happened when Mafatu has attempted to overcome his fear?
8. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
9. How does Chapter 2 end?
10. What happens that foreshadows a larger storm?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)