|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Mafatu search?
(a) Signs of land.
(b) Signs of fish.
(c) Signs of a storm.
(d) Signs of Kivi.
2. What does Uri do for Mafatu?
(a) He catches fish.
(b) His thumping tail provides comfort and reassurance.
(c) He steers the canoe.
(d) He licks his face.
3. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
(a) If he would be upset, once he realizes his son is missing.
(b) If he will be angry with him.
(c) If he will follow him.
(d) It he will be relieved that his son has left.
4. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
(a) A waste of time.
(c) Woman's work.
5. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
(a) The food is hard to get to.
(b) She is full of fear.
(c) She is incredibly weak from the long battle.
(d) She wants the food for herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens eventually and gradually?
2. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
3. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
4. How does Mafatu feel?
5. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mafatu and his mother end up in danger?
2. For what are the boys preparing?
3. What is Mafatu's most significant shame?
4. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
5. What does Mafatu realize that causes him to be gripped by terror? How does he react?
6. What happens during the first major storm?
7. What has resulted because of Mafatu's fear?
8. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
9. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
10. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)