|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
(a) The other fishermen save her.
(b) She dies.
(c) She loses conciousness.
(d) She drinks from the coconut.
2. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
(a) Uri's wimpering.
(c) A great thunderous noise.
(d) Kivi's call.
3. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) The sharks are circling him.
(b) There is a storm coming.
(c) He can drink the water.
(d) There is a school of fish below him.
4. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
(a) He fashions spears, nets, and sharkline for the other young boys to use.
(b) He prays to the goddess to help him.
(c) He cries.
(d) He sits and watches the other men.
5. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
(a) Anxious to try again.
(b) Unfulfilled and ashamed.
(c) Slightly embarrassed but eager to keep attempting.
(d) Nervous and shy.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what is Mafatu getting no relief?
2. What happens as the current gets quicker?
3. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
4. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
5. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what is Mafatu acutely aware? How does this affect him?
2. What does Mafatu realize after the storm has passed?
3. Why does Mafatu go after his knife?
4. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
5. Why does Mafatu run to his canoe?
6. What does Mafatu make for dinner?
7. How does Chapter 2 end?
8. What has Mafatu done by saving his dog?
9. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
10. What does Mafatu find in the clearing?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)