|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
(a) In order to prove his worth as a fisherman.
(b) To be more helpful.
(c) In order to have a better relationship with his father.
(d) To get away from those who tease him.
2. How does Mafatu feel?
3. What else taunts him?
(a) The sea.
(b) The fish.
(c) The tribal warriors.
(d) His mother, in his dreams.
4. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
(a) Continue looking for sea urchins.
(b) Head back to shore.
(c) Continue to fish.
(d) Send Mafatu with the other fishermen.
5. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
(a) No whales were around him.
(b) He has survived.
(c) The storm was not very strong.
(d) The hail lasted only a moment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has a current formed?
2. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
3. With what is Mafatu suddenly filled?
4. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
5. What would cause Mafatu to lose his spear or line?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Mafatu is thrown from the canoe?
2. What does Mafatu resolve to do this year?
3. What role does Kivi play in Mafatu's plans?
4. What does Mafatu think about his father?
5. How is Mafatu treated?
6. What happens after Mafatu and his mother are washed ashore?
7. What is Mafatu left wondering years later?
8. How does Chapter 2 end?
9. For what are the boys preparing?
10. What happens to Mafatu and his companions during the second major storm?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)