|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
(a) Before he fells the tree.
(b) When the fire has almost burned through the trunk of the tree.
(c) After the tree has fallen.
(d) As the tree is falling.
2. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
(a) Smoke from another island.
(b) The fruit is moldy.
(c) The fruit is missing.
(d) The fruit has been cut cleanly from the branch with a knife.
3. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
(b) Wild limes.
4. What is the pyramid topped by a massive figure?
(a) A school.
(b) A Sacred Place.
(c) A dwelling.
(d) A shelter.
5. What is a moto tabu?
(a) A type of food.
(b) His favorite phrase.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A Forbidden Island.
6. What frightens Mafatu?
(a) The waves.
(b) The current.
(c) The dark water.
(d) To see the shark heading right for his dog.
7. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred spot?
(a) A spearhead.
(b) A knife.
8. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
(a) The dorsal fin of the shark poking through the water.
(b) A man.
9. What does Mafatu begin to take care of?
(a) Finding food.
(b) Building his canoe.
(c) The other myriad tasks that need doing.
(d) Taking care of Uri.
10. What does Mafatu wake up the next morning and remember?
(a) How his mother died.
(b) The crazy events that led him to the beach on which he now lays.
(c) That Uri was injured.
(d) That Kivi never returned.
11. What does he think about again?
(a) How hungry he is.
(b) The island he had seen with the smoke rising above the trees.
(c) How alone he is.
(d) The island is dangerous.
12. What happens when Mafatu tries to catch his friend?
(a) He drops him.
(b) He falls in too.
(c) He is too late.
(d) He makes a net.
13. How does he move toward the idol?
(a) He runs toward it.
(b) He inches toward it.
(c) He circles it.
(d) He glides toward it.
14. What is Mafatu's reaction when the water begins to get turbulent?
(a) He becomes frightened.
(b) He is not scared anymore.
(c) He looks for Uri.
(d) He looks for sharks.
15. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(c) Full of his own confidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does he head?
2. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
3. How does he feel after the climb to the lookout?
4. What has rooted Mafatu to the ground?
5. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)