|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does he feel as he heads out to the reef?
(a) Hoping he can stab the shark.
(d) Secretly hoping he does not encounter the shark.
2. What does he wonder about this island?
(a) If there are animals on this island.
(b) Where he should build his home.
(c) If he will ever escape it.
(d) If this is where they offered their sacrifices.
3. What does he think about the skills he had acquired back home?
(a) They are proving useful now.
(b) They are a waste.
(c) They need to be improved.
(d) They help a little.
4. What does he soon do?
(a) Reaches the summit of the hill.
(b) Climb to the top of the ladder.
(c) Finds fresh water.
(d) Climb to the top of a tree.
5. What does Mafatu begin to take care of?
(a) Taking care of Uri.
(b) Finding food.
(c) Building his canoe.
(d) The other myriad tasks that need doing.
6. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
(a) A gift.
(b) A surpise.
(c) It is a victory.
(d) A shock.
7. What does Mafatu discover lying on the beach?
(a) A man.
(b) A raft.
(c) The skeleton of a whale.
(d) A shark.
8. How does he move toward the idol?
(a) He glides toward it.
(b) He inches toward it.
(c) He runs toward it.
(d) He circles it.
9. What does he begin to think about killing?
(a) The pig.
(b) Sea urchins.
(d) The cannibals.
10. How does he feel after the climb to the lookout?
(d) His injured leg hurts.
11. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
(c) A man.
(d) The dorsal fin of the shark poking through the water.
12. What is he able to make?
(a) Nets, knives, sharkline and fishhooks.
(b) A flying machine.
(c) A hammock.
(d) A gun.
13. What would he never again be called?
(a) An unskilled boy.
(b) His father's son.
(c) A member of his tribe.
14. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
(a) A stream.
(b) A trail of shells.
(c) Foot prints.
(d) The trail.
15. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
(a) Children in Tahiti.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
2. How does he feel now that his knife is finished?
3. What does Mafatu now realize about himself?
4. What has happened when he had taken an item from a sacred place?
5. How does he feel after building a fire?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)