|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he wonder about this island?
(a) If he will ever escape it.
(b) If this is where they offered their sacrifices.
(c) If there are animals on this island.
(d) Where he should build his home.
2. Why is he starting to think that perhaps his ending up on this spot was a cruel joke on the part of Moana, the Sea God?
(a) Perhaps Moana was upset for having been cheated.
(b) Moana wants him back in the sea.
(c) Moana will not allow him food.
(d) He will not be able to find shelter.
3. How does Mafatu fell a tree?
(a) With an axe.
(b) By burning the base of the tree.
(c) By climbing up it and leaning to the side.
(d) By tying a rope to it and pulling on it.
4. What would he never again be called?
(a) A member of his tribe.
(b) His father's son.
(c) An unskilled boy.
5. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
(a) He is strong.
(b) His bravery and hunting prowess.
(c) He likes to kill.
(d) He killed a boar.
6. What does he use to pull himself up the slope?
(b) A tree.
(c) A ladder.
(d) The hanging vines.
7. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
(a) A man.
(b) The dorsal fin of the shark poking through the water.
8. What does Mafatu now realize about himself?
(a) He misses his tribe.
(b) He is wounded.
(c) He is no longer afraid.
(d) He is afraid.
9. What does he think about the skills he had acquired back home?
(a) They help a little.
(b) They need to be improved.
(c) They are a waste.
(d) They are proving useful now.
10. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(a) A blanket.
(c) A plate.
(d) A lean-to.
11. How do the following days find Mafatu?
(b) Busy all the time.
(c) More worried.
12. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
(a) He is not yet strong enough to climb one of the many coconut trees on the island.
(b) He is afraid of the island.
(c) He does not know how to catch food.
(d) He does not know where to look for food.
13. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
(b) The shark.
(d) A wave.
14. What is he able to make?
(a) A hammock.
(b) Nets, knives, sharkline and fishhooks.
(c) A gun.
(d) A flying machine.
15. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
(a) He used a net.
(b) He jumped in the water.
(c) He killed the shark.
(d) He used a knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu discover lying on the beach?
2. What has happened when he had taken an item from a sacred place?
3. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
4. How does he feel when he moves a bone?
5. What has always scared him away when he went out to the reef to set his traps?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)