|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
(a) A man.
(b) The dorsal fin of the shark poking through the water.
2. Why does Mafatu build up a large fire?
(a) He is cold.
(b) So others will see him.
(c) To burn his trash.
(d) So that he can heat some stones.
3. How does he feel as he heads out to the reef?
(b) Secretly hoping he does not encounter the shark.
(c) Hoping he can stab the shark.
4. What does he soon do?
(a) Reaches the summit of the hill.
(b) Climb to the top of a tree.
(c) Climb to the top of the ladder.
(d) Finds fresh water.
5. How does he feel after building a fire?
(d) Content and worn out from the effort.
6. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
(a) His side of the island.
(b) The other side of this island.
(c) The beach.
(d) The sea.
7. What happens when a large wave tips the raft at a severe angle?
(a) Kivi falls in the water.
(b) Uri falls into the water.
(c) Mafatu falls in the water.
(d) The fish traps fall in the water.
8. What does he begin to think about killing?
(a) The cannibals.
(b) Sea urchins.
(c) The pig.
9. What does Mafatu now realize about himself?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He is no longer afraid.
(c) He misses his tribe.
(d) He is afraid.
10. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
(a) Upset with Kivi.
(b) Slightly irritated.
(c) Furious at his hours of work gone down the drain.
(d) Glad that Uri had finally eaten.
11. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
(a) Foot prints.
(b) A trail of shells.
(c) The trail.
(d) A stream.
12. Where are fish hooks made from bone, coconut-shell bowls, an extra clothing garment made waterproof for wet weather, and a coil of sennit found?
(a) Inside the house.
(b) Inside a bag.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In a hollow tree.
13. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
(a) He is strong.
(b) He likes to kill.
(c) His bravery and hunting prowess.
(d) He killed a boar.
14. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
(a) As the tree is falling.
(b) When the fire has almost burned through the trunk of the tree.
(c) After the tree has fallen.
(d) Before he fells the tree.
15. How does Mafatu fell a tree?
(a) By climbing up it and leaning to the side.
(b) With an axe.
(c) By burning the base of the tree.
(d) By tying a rope to it and pulling on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does he head?
2. What does Mafatu wake up the next morning and remember?
3. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
4. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
5. What startles Mafatu?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)