|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(a) A lean-to.
(c) A plate.
(d) A blanket.
2. What does he soon do?
(a) Reaches the summit of the hill.
(b) Finds fresh water.
(c) Climb to the top of a tree.
(d) Climb to the top of the ladder.
3. What does he think about the skills he had acquired back home?
(a) They are proving useful now.
(b) They need to be improved.
(c) They are a waste.
(d) They help a little.
4. What does he use to pull himself up the slope?
(a) A tree.
(b) The hanging vines.
(c) A ladder.
5. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
(a) He taunts him.
(b) He stabs him in the belly.
(c) He grabs him.
(d) He pushes on his gills.
6. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
(a) The fruit has been cut cleanly from the branch with a knife.
(b) Smoke from another island.
(c) The fruit is missing.
(d) The fruit is moldy.
7. How does he feel after building a fire?
(a) Content and worn out from the effort.
8. What happens when a large wave tips the raft at a severe angle?
(a) Mafatu falls in the water.
(b) Kivi falls in the water.
(c) The fish traps fall in the water.
(d) Uri falls into the water.
9. What does Mafatu sees after he slides down the lava slide?
(a) A school of fish.
(b) A whale in the water.
(c) A manmade path leading through the jungle.
(d) Fresh water.
10. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
(a) When the fire has almost burned through the trunk of the tree.
(b) As the tree is falling.
(c) After the tree has fallen.
(d) Before he fells the tree.
11. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
12. How do the following days find Mafatu?
(b) More worried.
(c) Busy all the time.
13. Why does Mafatu build up a large fire?
(a) So that he can heat some stones.
(b) He is cold.
(c) To burn his trash.
(d) So others will see him.
14. What does the boy plan to wait until the next day to do?
(a) Continue the process.
(b) Think about his father.
(c) Hunt for food.
(d) Look for cannibals.
15. What does he wonder about this island?
(a) If there are animals on this island.
(b) If this is where they offered their sacrifices.
(c) If he will ever escape it.
(d) Where he should build his home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he feel as he heads out to the reef?
2. What happens when Mafatu tries to catch his friend?
3. What would he never again be called?
4. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
5. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)