|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
(a) So he could practice his hunting skills.
(b) So he could have a home of his own.
(c) So she could speak with him.
(d) So he would be safe.
2. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
(a) The trail.
(b) Foot prints.
(c) A trail of shells.
(d) A stream.
3. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
(a) His mother.
(d) Children in Tahiti.
4. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(d) Full of his own confidence.
5. How does he feel as he heads out to the reef?
(b) Secretly hoping he does not encounter the shark.
(d) Hoping he can stab the shark.
6. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
(a) His bravery and hunting prowess.
(b) He likes to kill.
(c) He killed a boar.
(d) He is strong.
7. How does Mafatu fell a tree?
(a) By burning the base of the tree.
(b) By tying a rope to it and pulling on it.
(c) By climbing up it and leaning to the side.
(d) With an axe.
8. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
(a) He does not know how to catch food.
(b) He is not yet strong enough to climb one of the many coconut trees on the island.
(c) He is afraid of the island.
(d) He does not know where to look for food.
9. What does he think about the skills he had acquired back home?
(a) They are proving useful now.
(b) They are a waste.
(c) They need to be improved.
(d) They help a little.
10. What does he wonder about this island?
(a) Where he should build his home.
(b) If there are animals on this island.
(c) If this is where they offered their sacrifices.
(d) If he will ever escape it.
11. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
(a) He used a knife.
(b) He jumped in the water.
(c) He killed the shark.
(d) He used a net.
12. What is the pyramid topped by a massive figure?
(a) A dwelling.
(b) A Sacred Place.
(c) A shelter.
(d) A school.
13. How does he feel after building a fire?
(b) Content and worn out from the effort.
14. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
(d) Wild limes.
15. What does Mafatu begin to take care of?
(a) Taking care of Uri.
(b) Finding food.
(c) Building his canoe.
(d) The other myriad tasks that need doing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he want from his town and his father?
2. Where are fish hooks made from bone, coconut-shell bowls, an extra clothing garment made waterproof for wet weather, and a coil of sennit found?
3. What has rooted Mafatu to the ground?
4. What have been recently burned?
5. What would he never again be called?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)