|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
(a) He is not yet strong enough to climb one of the many coconut trees on the island.
(b) He does not know how to catch food.
(c) He is afraid of the island.
(d) He does not know where to look for food.
2. What does Mafatu need to fashion a new canoe?
(a) A palm tree.
(c) A tamanu tree.
(d) An oak tree.
3. What is Mafatu's reaction when the water begins to get turbulent?
(a) He becomes frightened.
(b) He is not scared anymore.
(c) He looks for Uri.
(d) He looks for sharks.
4. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
(a) Slightly irritated.
(b) Upset with Kivi.
(c) Glad that Uri had finally eaten.
(d) Furious at his hours of work gone down the drain.
5. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
(a) Smoke rising from the trees.
(b) Kivi flying in the sky.
(c) A storm brewing.
(d) Canoes in the distance.
6. What startles Mafatu?
(a) A wild boar crashing through the bushes.
(b) Kivi's call.
(c) Uri's barking.
(d) A drumming sound.
7. How does he feel when he moves a bone?
8. About what is Mafatu unsure?
(a) Where his friends have gone.
(b) Which island he is on.
(c) How to hunt.
(d) What food is safe to eat.
9. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A lean-to.
(c) A plate.
10. What does he soon do?
(a) Climb to the top of a tree.
(b) Reaches the summit of the hill.
(c) Finds fresh water.
(d) Climb to the top of the ladder.
11. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
(a) It irritates him.
(b) It makes him excited about the challenge.
(c) It worries him.
(d) It further complicates the situation.
12. What symbolizes the courage it took to approach the sacred idol and seize what he needed?
(a) The spearhead.
(b) The clearing.
(c) The banana tree.
(d) The vines.
13. What does Mafatu now realize about himself?
(a) He is no longer afraid.
(b) He is wounded.
(c) He misses his tribe.
(d) He is afraid.
14. What does he want from his town and his father?
(a) To find him.
(b) To be left alone.
(d) A job.
15. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
(a) The dorsal fin of the shark poking through the water.
(d) A man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can he use to make a raft?
2. How do the following days find Mafatu?
3. The next day, what does Mafatu begin to rebuild?
4. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
5. What is he able to make?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)