|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu discover lying on the beach?
(a) A raft.
(b) The skeleton of a whale.
(c) A shark.
(d) A man.
2. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred spot?
(c) A knife.
(d) A spearhead.
3. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
(b) His mother.
(d) Children in Tahiti.
4. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
(a) He killed a boar.
(b) He is strong.
(c) His bravery and hunting prowess.
(d) He likes to kill.
5. What startles Mafatu?
(a) A wild boar crashing through the bushes.
(b) Kivi's call.
(c) A drumming sound.
(d) Uri's barking.
6. What does Mafatu sees after he slides down the lava slide?
(a) Fresh water.
(b) A school of fish.
(c) A whale in the water.
(d) A manmade path leading through the jungle.
7. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
(a) It further complicates the situation.
(b) It worries him.
(c) It makes him excited about the challenge.
(d) It irritates him.
8. What does he soon do?
(a) Climb to the top of the ladder.
(b) Reaches the summit of the hill.
(c) Climb to the top of a tree.
(d) Finds fresh water.
9. What does Mafatu now realize about himself?
(a) He misses his tribe.
(b) He is no longer afraid.
(c) He is wounded.
(d) He is afraid.
10. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
(b) Worn out.
(d) Excited to drop the craft in the water.
11. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
(a) He stabs him in the belly.
(b) He pushes on his gills.
(c) He grabs him.
(d) He taunts him.
12. What has rooted Mafatu to the ground?
(a) Quick sand.
(b) A branch.
(c) Uri's growl.
13. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
(a) Kivi flying in the sky.
(b) Smoke rising from the trees.
(c) Canoes in the distance.
(d) A storm brewing.
14. What would he never again be called?
(a) His father's son.
(c) An unskilled boy.
(d) A member of his tribe.
15. How does Mafatu fell a tree?
(a) By tying a rope to it and pulling on it.
(b) By burning the base of the tree.
(c) By climbing up it and leaning to the side.
(d) With an axe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu need to fashion a new canoe?
2. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
3. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
4. What symbolizes the courage it took to approach the sacred idol and seize what he needed?
5. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)