|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does he feel now that his knife is finished?
(d) Not as brave as he had hoped.
2. What has rooted Mafatu to the ground?
(b) A branch.
(c) Uri's growl.
(d) Quick sand.
3. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
(a) It irritates him.
(b) It worries him.
(c) It makes him excited about the challenge.
(d) It further complicates the situation.
4. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
(a) After the tree has fallen.
(b) Before he fells the tree.
(c) As the tree is falling.
(d) When the fire has almost burned through the trunk of the tree.
5. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
(a) His side of the island.
(b) The sea.
(c) The beach.
(d) The other side of this island.
6. What does Mafatu need to fashion a new canoe?
(b) A tamanu tree.
(c) A palm tree.
(d) An oak tree.
7. What does he need to make a fishhook?
(b) Some bone.
(c) A shell.
(d) A rock.
8. What does Mafatu begin to take care of?
(a) Building his canoe.
(b) Taking care of Uri.
(c) Finding food.
(d) The other myriad tasks that need doing.
9. When does the tree fall to the ground?
(a) When it yields to Mafatu pulling on the rope.
(b) When the fire has burned through the trunk.
(c) When a strong wind blows.
(d) When it yields to his weight.
10. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
(a) So he could have a home of his own.
(b) So she could speak with him.
(c) So he would be safe.
(d) So he could practice his hunting skills.
11. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
(c) A man.
(d) The dorsal fin of the shark poking through the water.
12. Where are fish hooks made from bone, coconut-shell bowls, an extra clothing garment made waterproof for wet weather, and a coil of sennit found?
(a) Inside the house.
(b) In a hollow tree.
(c) Inside a bag.
(d) On the beach.
13. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
(a) He does not know where to look for food.
(b) He does not know how to catch food.
(c) He is not yet strong enough to climb one of the many coconut trees on the island.
(d) He is afraid of the island.
14. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(c) Full of his own confidence.
15. Why is he starting to think that perhaps his ending up on this spot was a cruel joke on the part of Moana, the Sea God?
(a) He will not be able to find shelter.
(b) Moana wants him back in the sea.
(c) Perhaps Moana was upset for having been cheated.
(d) Moana will not allow him food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is he able to make?
2. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
3. What is Mafatu's reaction when the water begins to get turbulent?
4. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
5. What does he think about the skills he had acquired back home?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)