|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
(a) Before he fells the tree.
(b) After the tree has fallen.
(c) As the tree is falling.
(d) When the fire has almost burned through the trunk of the tree.
2. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(a) A plate.
(b) A lean-to.
(c) A blanket.
3. How does Mafatu fell a tree?
(a) By burning the base of the tree.
(b) By tying a rope to it and pulling on it.
(c) By climbing up it and leaning to the side.
(d) With an axe.
4. What have been recently burned?
(a) Piles of bones.
(b) Piles of wood.
(d) The trees around the clearing.
5. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
(a) It makes him excited about the challenge.
(b) It further complicates the situation.
(c) It worries him.
(d) It irritates him.
6. What has always scared him away when he went out to the reef to set his traps?
(a) The hammerhead shark.
(b) The current.
(c) The murky water.
(d) The fish.
7. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(b) Full of his own confidence.
8. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
(a) The sea.
(b) The beach.
(c) His side of the island.
(d) The other side of this island.
9. What does he need to make a fishhook?
(a) Some bone.
(b) A rock.
(d) A shell.
10. He hated doing these tasks back in Hikueru. How does he feel now?
(a) He still hates them.
(b) He wishes he had practiced them more at home.
(c) He wishes he were better at them.
(d) He is grateful for the skills now.
11. What does he begin to think about killing?
(a) The cannibals.
(b) Sea urchins.
(d) The pig.
12. What would he never again be called?
(a) His father's son.
(b) A member of his tribe.
(d) An unskilled boy.
13. What does he think about the skills he had acquired back home?
(a) They need to be improved.
(b) They are proving useful now.
(c) They are a waste.
(d) They help a little.
14. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
(a) A stream.
(b) Foot prints.
(c) The trail.
(d) A trail of shells.
15. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
(a) The fruit is moldy.
(b) The fruit has been cut cleanly from the branch with a knife.
(c) The fruit is missing.
(d) Smoke from another island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
2. Where are fish hooks made from bone, coconut-shell bowls, an extra clothing garment made waterproof for wet weather, and a coil of sennit found?
3. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred spot?
4. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
5. What has happened when he had taken an item from a sacred place?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)