|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What frightens Mafatu?
(a) To see the shark heading right for his dog.
(b) The waves.
(c) The dark water.
(d) The current.
2. What can he use to make a raft?
(b) A tree.
3. What does Mafatu discover lying on the beach?
(a) A shark.
(b) A man.
(c) A raft.
(d) The skeleton of a whale.
4. The next day, what does Mafatu begin to rebuild?
(a) His shelter.
(b) His life.
(c) His canoe.
(d) His friendships.
5. Who does he praise for bringing him safely to this island and for giving him courage?
(b) His mother.
6. How does he feel when he moves a bone?
7. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
(a) The dorsal fin of the shark poking through the water.
(d) A man.
8. How do the following days find Mafatu?
(b) Busy all the time.
(c) More worried.
9. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
(a) Slightly irritated.
(b) Upset with Kivi.
(c) Glad that Uri had finally eaten.
(d) Furious at his hours of work gone down the drain.
10. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(d) Full of his own confidence.
11. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
(a) A trail of shells.
(b) A stream.
(c) Foot prints.
(d) The trail.
12. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(b) A plate.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A lean-to.
13. How does he feel after building a fire?
(c) Content and worn out from the effort.
14. What startles Mafatu?
(a) A wild boar crashing through the bushes.
(b) Uri's barking.
(c) Kivi's call.
(d) A drumming sound.
15. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
(b) A wave.
(d) The shark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he wonder about this island?
2. How does he fashion a fish trap?
3. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
4. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
5. What does he need to make a fishhook?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)