|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
(a) He killed a boar.
(b) He is strong.
(c) He likes to kill.
(d) His bravery and hunting prowess.
2. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
(a) The fruit has been cut cleanly from the branch with a knife.
(b) The fruit is moldy.
(c) The fruit is missing.
(d) Smoke from another island.
3. How does he feel after the climb to the lookout?
(d) His injured leg hurts.
4. When does the tree fall to the ground?
(a) When it yields to Mafatu pulling on the rope.
(b) When the fire has burned through the trunk.
(c) When a strong wind blows.
(d) When it yields to his weight.
5. What frightens Mafatu?
(a) The waves.
(b) To see the shark heading right for his dog.
(c) The dark water.
(d) The current.
6. How does he feel after building a fire?
(b) Content and worn out from the effort.
7. What has always scared him away when he went out to the reef to set his traps?
(a) The hammerhead shark.
(b) The current.
(c) The fish.
(d) The murky water.
8. What has rooted Mafatu to the ground?
(b) Quick sand.
(c) Uri's growl.
(d) A branch.
9. What does he wonder about this island?
(a) If he will ever escape it.
(b) If there are animals on this island.
(c) If this is where they offered their sacrifices.
(d) Where he should build his home.
10. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
(a) It is scary.
(b) He is too tired.
(c) It wasted too much of his time.
(d) He is afraid.
11. What does Mafatu begin fashioning?
(a) A lean-to.
(b) A canoe.
(c) A spit.
(d) Weapons and other useful items.
12. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
(a) A gift.
(b) A surpise.
(c) A shock.
(d) It is a victory.
13. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
(a) Children in Tahiti.
(d) His mother.
14. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
(a) He is not yet strong enough to climb one of the many coconut trees on the island.
(b) He does not know how to catch food.
(c) He does not know where to look for food.
(d) He is afraid of the island.
15. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
(a) So he could have a home of his own.
(b) So he could practice his hunting skills.
(c) So she could speak with him.
(d) So he would be safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. He hated doing these tasks back in Hikueru. How does he feel now?
2. What does Mafatu need to fashion a new canoe?
3. What symbolizes the courage it took to approach the sacred idol and seize what he needed?
4. What does he think about the skills he had acquired back home?
5. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)