|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he use to pull himself up the slope?
(b) A ladder.
(c) The hanging vines.
(d) A tree.
2. What has rooted Mafatu to the ground?
(a) Uri's growl.
(b) A branch.
(c) Quick sand.
3. What has happened when he had taken an item from a sacred place?
(a) A strong wind blew.
(b) Lightning and thunder.
4. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
(b) His mother.
(c) Children in Tahiti.
5. What happens when Mafatu tries to catch his friend?
(a) He drops him.
(b) He makes a net.
(c) He falls in too.
(d) He is too late.
6. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
(a) Smoke from another island.
(b) The fruit is moldy.
(c) The fruit has been cut cleanly from the branch with a knife.
(d) The fruit is missing.
7. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
(a) Excited to drop the craft in the water.
(b) Worn out.
8. What frightens Mafatu?
(a) To see the shark heading right for his dog.
(b) The waves.
(c) The current.
(d) The dark water.
9. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
(a) The dorsal fin of the shark poking through the water.
(b) A man.
10. What does he begin to think about killing?
(b) The cannibals.
(c) Sea urchins.
(d) The pig.
11. What does Mafatu begin fashioning?
(a) A canoe.
(b) A spit.
(c) Weapons and other useful items.
(d) A lean-to.
12. What is Mafatu's reaction when the water begins to get turbulent?
(a) He becomes frightened.
(b) He looks for sharks.
(c) He is not scared anymore.
(d) He looks for Uri.
13. What would he never again be called?
(a) A member of his tribe.
(b) His father's son.
(d) An unskilled boy.
14. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
(a) The beach.
(b) The sea.
(c) The other side of this island.
(d) His side of the island.
15. What does he soon do?
(a) Climb to the top of a tree.
(b) Reaches the summit of the hill.
(c) Finds fresh water.
(d) Climb to the top of the ladder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the pyramid topped by a massive figure?
2. What does he wonder about this island?
3. What does Mafatu now realize about himself?
4. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
5. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)