|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
(a) His bravery and hunting prowess.
(b) He likes to kill.
(c) He killed a boar.
(d) He is strong.
2. Why does Mafatu build up a large fire?
(a) So that he can heat some stones.
(b) To burn his trash.
(c) He is cold.
(d) So others will see him.
3. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
(b) His mother.
(c) Children in Tahiti.
4. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
(a) Upset with Kivi.
(b) Furious at his hours of work gone down the drain.
(c) Glad that Uri had finally eaten.
(d) Slightly irritated.
5. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
(a) He killed the shark.
(b) He jumped in the water.
(c) He used a net.
(d) He used a knife.
6. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
(a) The fruit is moldy.
(b) The fruit has been cut cleanly from the branch with a knife.
(c) Smoke from another island.
(d) The fruit is missing.
7. What can he use to make a raft?
(c) A tree.
8. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
(a) A man.
(c) The dorsal fin of the shark poking through the water.
9. What does Mafatu begin fashioning?
(a) A canoe.
(b) Weapons and other useful items.
(c) A lean-to.
(d) A spit.
10. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
(a) Smoke rising from the trees.
(b) A storm brewing.
(c) Kivi flying in the sky.
(d) Canoes in the distance.
11. How does Mafatu fell a tree?
(a) By climbing up it and leaning to the side.
(b) By burning the base of the tree.
(c) With an axe.
(d) By tying a rope to it and pulling on it.
12. What startles Mafatu?
(a) Uri's barking.
(b) Kivi's call.
(c) A drumming sound.
(d) A wild boar crashing through the bushes.
13. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(a) A plate.
(c) A lean-to.
(d) A blanket.
14. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
(a) It wasted too much of his time.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He is too tired.
(d) It is scary.
15. How does he feel after building a fire?
(d) Content and worn out from the effort.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
2. How does he move toward the idol?
3. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
4. How does he fashion a fish trap?
5. He hated doing these tasks back in Hikueru. How does he feel now?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)