|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the pyramid topped by a massive figure?
(a) A dwelling.
(b) A school.
(c) A Sacred Place.
(d) A shelter.
2. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
(c) A man.
(d) The dorsal fin of the shark poking through the water.
3. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
(a) It makes him excited about the challenge.
(b) It further complicates the situation.
(c) It worries him.
(d) It irritates him.
4. What is a moto tabu?
(a) His favorite phrase.
(b) A Forbidden Island.
(c) A type of food.
(d) A prayer.
5. What does he begin to think about killing?
(b) The cannibals.
(c) The pig.
(d) Sea urchins.
6. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(b) A plate.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A lean-to.
7. What does the boy plan to wait until the next day to do?
(a) Hunt for food.
(b) Think about his father.
(c) Look for cannibals.
(d) Continue the process.
8. About what is Mafatu unsure?
(a) Where his friends have gone.
(b) Which island he is on.
(c) What food is safe to eat.
(d) How to hunt.
9. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(a) Full of his own confidence.
10. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
(a) Worn out.
(d) Excited to drop the craft in the water.
11. What does he need to make a fishhook?
(a) Some bone.
(b) A rock.
(c) A shell.
12. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
(a) He stabs him in the belly.
(b) He grabs him.
(c) He pushes on his gills.
(d) He taunts him.
13. To where does he head?
(a) To the banana tree.
(b) To the other side of the island. Back to the idol.
(c) Back to the beach where he had landed earlier that day.
(d) To his canoe.
14. What happens when a large wave tips the raft at a severe angle?
(a) Mafatu falls in the water.
(b) Kivi falls in the water.
(c) The fish traps fall in the water.
(d) Uri falls into the water.
15. How does he fashion a fish trap?
(a) From bamboo.
(b) From a log.
(c) From a shell.
(d) From a piece of trash.
Short Answer Questions
1. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
2. What does he soon do?
3. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
4. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
5. What frightens Mafatu?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)