|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he think about the skills he had acquired back home?
(a) They need to be improved.
(b) They are a waste.
(c) They help a little.
(d) They are proving useful now.
2. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
(d) Wild limes.
3. How does he feel as he heads out to the reef?
(b) Hoping he can stab the shark.
(d) Secretly hoping he does not encounter the shark.
4. Why is he starting to think that perhaps his ending up on this spot was a cruel joke on the part of Moana, the Sea God?
(a) Perhaps Moana was upset for having been cheated.
(b) He will not be able to find shelter.
(c) Moana will not allow him food.
(d) Moana wants him back in the sea.
5. What is he able to make?
(a) A flying machine.
(b) Nets, knives, sharkline and fishhooks.
(c) A gun.
(d) A hammock.
6. What has always scared him away when he went out to the reef to set his traps?
(a) The fish.
(b) The murky water.
(c) The current.
(d) The hammerhead shark.
7. What does Mafatu need to fashion a new canoe?
(a) A palm tree.
(b) A tamanu tree.
(d) An oak tree.
8. How does he move toward the idol?
(a) He glides toward it.
(b) He circles it.
(c) He inches toward it.
(d) He runs toward it.
9. How does he fashion a fish trap?
(a) From a log.
(b) From a shell.
(c) From a piece of trash.
(d) From bamboo.
10. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
(a) As the tree is falling.
(b) When the fire has almost burned through the trunk of the tree.
(c) After the tree has fallen.
(d) Before he fells the tree.
11. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
(a) He used a net.
(b) He killed the shark.
(c) He jumped in the water.
(d) He used a knife.
12. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A plate.
(d) A lean-to.
13. What has rooted Mafatu to the ground?
(a) Uri's growl.
(b) A branch.
(c) Quick sand.
14. He hated doing these tasks back in Hikueru. How does he feel now?
(a) He is grateful for the skills now.
(b) He still hates them.
(c) He wishes he were better at them.
(d) He wishes he had practiced them more at home.
15. What have been recently burned?
(a) Piles of bones.
(b) Piles of wood.
(d) The trees around the clearing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
2. What frightens Mafatu?
3. How does he feel now that his knife is finished?
4. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
5. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)