|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
2. To where does he head?
(a) Back to the beach where he had landed earlier that day.
(b) To his canoe.
(c) To the other side of the island. Back to the idol.
(d) To the banana tree.
3. How do the following days find Mafatu?
(c) More worried.
(d) Busy all the time.
4. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
(a) The trail.
(b) A stream.
(c) Foot prints.
(d) A trail of shells.
5. What does he need to make a fishhook?
(b) A shell.
(c) Some bone.
(d) A rock.
6. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
(a) Excited to drop the craft in the water.
(b) Worn out.
7. The next day, what does Mafatu begin to rebuild?
(a) His friendships.
(b) His life.
(c) His shelter.
(d) His canoe.
8. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
(a) Furious at his hours of work gone down the drain.
(b) Glad that Uri had finally eaten.
(c) Slightly irritated.
(d) Upset with Kivi.
9. What does he begin to think about killing?
(a) Sea urchins.
(b) The cannibals.
(c) The pig.
10. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
(a) He pushes on his gills.
(b) He taunts him.
(c) He grabs him.
(d) He stabs him in the belly.
11. What does the boy plan to wait until the next day to do?
(a) Hunt for food.
(b) Look for cannibals.
(c) Think about his father.
(d) Continue the process.
12. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(a) Full of his own confidence.
13. How does he move toward the idol?
(a) He inches toward it.
(b) He circles it.
(c) He glides toward it.
(d) He runs toward it.
14. How does he feel when he moves a bone?
15. How does he feel after the climb to the lookout?
(c) His injured leg hurts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does he praise for bringing him safely to this island and for giving him courage?
2. What symbolizes the courage it took to approach the sacred idol and seize what he needed?
3. How does he feel after building a fire?
4. What frightens Mafatu?
5. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)