|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What startles Mafatu?
(a) Kivi's call.
(b) Uri's barking.
(c) A drumming sound.
(d) A wild boar crashing through the bushes.
2. How does he feel as he heads out to the reef?
(a) Hoping he can stab the shark.
(b) Secretly hoping he does not encounter the shark.
3. What does Mafatu wake up the next morning and remember?
(a) That Kivi never returned.
(b) That Uri was injured.
(c) The crazy events that led him to the beach on which he now lays.
(d) How his mother died.
4. Why is he starting to think that perhaps his ending up on this spot was a cruel joke on the part of Moana, the Sea God?
(a) Moana will not allow him food.
(b) Perhaps Moana was upset for having been cheated.
(c) Moana wants him back in the sea.
(d) He will not be able to find shelter.
5. What does Mafatu use to cauterize the wound on his leg?
(d) Wild limes.
6. What is the pyramid topped by a massive figure?
(a) A shelter.
(b) A dwelling.
(c) A Sacred Place.
(d) A school.
7. About what is Mafatu unsure?
(a) Where his friends have gone.
(b) Which island he is on.
(c) How to hunt.
(d) What food is safe to eat.
8. Who used to slide down a lava slide in banana leaves?
(b) His mother.
(d) Children in Tahiti.
9. How does he feel after the climb to the lookout?
(a) His injured leg hurts.
10. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
(a) When the fire has almost burned through the trunk of the tree.
(b) Before he fells the tree.
(c) As the tree is falling.
(d) After the tree has fallen.
11. What does Mafatu begin to take care of?
(a) Taking care of Uri.
(b) Finding food.
(c) The other myriad tasks that need doing.
(d) Building his canoe.
12. How does he fashion a fish trap?
(a) From a shell.
(b) From a piece of trash.
(c) From bamboo.
(d) From a log.
13. How does he feel when he moves a bone?
14. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
(a) It makes him excited about the challenge.
(b) It further complicates the situation.
(c) It irritates him.
(d) It worries him.
15. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
(a) So he would be safe.
(b) So he could have a home of his own.
(c) So she could speak with him.
(d) So he could practice his hunting skills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a moto tabu?
2. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
3. How does he feel after building a fire?
4. He hated doing these tasks back in Hikueru. How does he feel now?
5. What does he soon do?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)