|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
(a) He is not yet strong enough to climb one of the many coconut trees on the island.
(b) He does not know where to look for food.
(c) He does not know how to catch food.
(d) He is afraid of the island.
2. What frightens Mafatu?
(a) The waves.
(b) The current.
(c) The dark water.
(d) To see the shark heading right for his dog.
3. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(c) Full of his own confidence.
4. What symbolizes the courage it took to approach the sacred idol and seize what he needed?
(a) The vines.
(b) The banana tree.
(c) The clearing.
(d) The spearhead.
5. What does he use to pull himself up the slope?
(a) A ladder.
(b) A tree.
(c) The hanging vines.
6. How does Mafatu feel about the eaten fish?
(a) Upset with Kivi.
(b) Furious at his hours of work gone down the drain.
(c) Slightly irritated.
(d) Glad that Uri had finally eaten.
7. Why does Mafatu build up a large fire?
(a) He is cold.
(b) To burn his trash.
(c) So that he can heat some stones.
(d) So others will see him.
8. How do the following days find Mafatu?
(c) More worried.
(d) Busy all the time.
9. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
(a) The trail.
(b) A stream.
(c) A trail of shells.
(d) Foot prints.
10. What is a moto tabu?
(a) His favorite phrase.
(b) A Forbidden Island.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A type of food.
11. What does Mafatu wake up the next morning and remember?
(a) How his mother died.
(b) That Uri was injured.
(c) The crazy events that led him to the beach on which he now lays.
(d) That Kivi never returned.
12. Where are fish hooks made from bone, coconut-shell bowls, an extra clothing garment made waterproof for wet weather, and a coil of sennit found?
(a) Inside a bag.
(b) Inside the house.
(c) In a hollow tree.
(d) On the beach.
13. What is he able to make?
(a) A hammock.
(b) A gun.
(c) Nets, knives, sharkline and fishhooks.
(d) A flying machine.
14. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
(a) So he could practice his hunting skills.
(b) So he could have a home of his own.
(c) So she could speak with him.
(d) So he would be safe.
15. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
(a) It is a victory.
(b) A surpise.
(c) A shock.
(d) A gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
2. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
3. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
4. What does he want from his town and his father?
5. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)