|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu wake up the next morning and remember?
(a) The crazy events that led him to the beach on which he now lays.
(b) How his mother died.
(c) That Uri was injured.
(d) That Kivi never returned.
2. What is Mafatu's reaction when the water begins to get turbulent?
(a) He looks for sharks.
(b) He becomes frightened.
(c) He looks for Uri.
(d) He is not scared anymore.
3. What does the boy plan to wait until the next day to do?
(a) Think about his father.
(b) Continue the process.
(c) Hunt for food.
(d) Look for cannibals.
4. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
(a) His bravery and hunting prowess.
(b) He likes to kill.
(c) He is strong.
(d) He killed a boar.
5. How does he feel now that his knife is finished?
(c) Not as brave as he had hoped.
6. What symbolizes the courage it took to approach the sacred idol and seize what he needed?
(a) The clearing.
(b) The banana tree.
(c) The vines.
(d) The spearhead.
7. How does he move toward the idol?
(a) He runs toward it.
(b) He glides toward it.
(c) He inches toward it.
(d) He circles it.
8. What does Mafatu begin fashioning?
(a) Weapons and other useful items.
(b) A lean-to.
(c) A spit.
(d) A canoe.
9. What does he soon do?
(a) Climb to the top of a tree.
(b) Finds fresh water.
(c) Climb to the top of the ladder.
(d) Reaches the summit of the hill.
10. What does Mafatu need to fashion a new canoe?
(a) A palm tree.
(b) An oak tree.
(c) A tamanu tree.
11. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
(a) It wasted too much of his time.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) It is scary.
(d) He is too tired.
12. What does he begin to think about killing?
(a) The cannibals.
(b) The pig.
(c) Sea urchins.
13. About what is Mafatu unsure?
(a) Where his friends have gone.
(b) Which island he is on.
(c) How to hunt.
(d) What food is safe to eat.
14. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
(a) The fruit has been cut cleanly from the branch with a knife.
(b) The fruit is moldy.
(c) The fruit is missing.
(d) Smoke from another island.
15. How does Mafatu fell a tree?
(a) By climbing up it and leaning to the side.
(b) By burning the base of the tree.
(c) By tying a rope to it and pulling on it.
(d) With an axe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
2. What does he use to pull himself up the slope?
3. He hated doing these tasks back in Hikueru. How does he feel now?
4. He has faced a fear and come out unharmed. What is this?
5. What does Mafatu now realize about himself?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)