|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu spot at the sacred spot?
(b) A knife.
(c) A spearhead.
2. Why is he starting to think that perhaps his ending up on this spot was a cruel joke on the part of Moana, the Sea God?
(a) Perhaps Moana was upset for having been cheated.
(b) He will not be able to find shelter.
(c) Moana wants him back in the sea.
(d) Moana will not allow him food.
3. What symbolizes the courage it took to approach the sacred idol and seize what he needed?
(a) The spearhead.
(b) The vines.
(c) The clearing.
(d) The banana tree.
4. What does he need to make a fishhook?
(a) Some bone.
(b) A rock.
(d) A shell.
5. He hated doing these tasks back in Hikueru. How does he feel now?
(a) He wishes he were better at them.
(b) He wishes he had practiced them more at home.
(c) He still hates them.
(d) He is grateful for the skills now.
6. What startles Mafatu?
(a) Kivi's call.
(b) A drumming sound.
(c) A wild boar crashing through the bushes.
(d) Uri's barking.
7. About what is Mafatu unsure?
(a) What food is safe to eat.
(b) How to hunt.
(c) Which island he is on.
(d) Where his friends have gone.
8. What have been recently burned?
(a) Piles of bones.
(c) The trees around the clearing.
(d) Piles of wood.
9. What does Mafatu need to fashion a new canoe?
(a) An oak tree.
(c) A tamanu tree.
(d) A palm tree.
10. What has always scared him away when he went out to the reef to set his traps?
(a) The fish.
(b) The hammerhead shark.
(c) The murky water.
(d) The current.
11. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
(a) The trail.
(b) A stream.
(c) Foot prints.
(d) A trail of shells.
12. What happens when Mafatu tries to catch his friend?
(a) He makes a net.
(b) He is too late.
(c) He falls in too.
(d) He drops him.
13. How do the following days find Mafatu?
(a) Busy all the time.
(b) More worried.
14. Why does Mafatu build up a large fire?
(a) So that he can heat some stones.
(b) So others will see him.
(c) To burn his trash.
(d) He is cold.
15. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he soon do?
2. How does he feel as he heads out to the reef?
3. Why is Mafatu not ready to find food?
4. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
5. What can he use to make a raft?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)