|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What startles Mafatu?
(a) A wild boar crashing through the bushes.
(b) Kivi's call.
(c) A drumming sound.
(d) Uri's barking.
2. When does the tree fall to the ground?
(a) When it yields to his weight.
(b) When the fire has burned through the trunk.
(c) When a strong wind blows.
(d) When it yields to Mafatu pulling on the rope.
3. What does he think about again?
(a) The island is dangerous.
(b) The island he had seen with the smoke rising above the trees.
(c) How alone he is.
(d) How hungry he is.
4. How do the following days find Mafatu?
(a) Busy all the time.
(c) More worried.
5. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
(a) The shark.
(c) A wave.
6. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
(a) The other side of this island.
(b) The beach.
(c) The sea.
(d) His side of the island.
7. Why does Mafatu build up a large fire?
(a) So others will see him.
(b) So that he can heat some stones.
(c) To burn his trash.
(d) He is cold.
8. To where does he head?
(a) Back to the beach where he had landed earlier that day.
(b) To his canoe.
(c) To the banana tree.
(d) To the other side of the island. Back to the idol.
9. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
(a) He used a net.
(b) He used a knife.
(c) He jumped in the water.
(d) He killed the shark.
10. Who does he praise for bringing him safely to this island and for giving him courage?
(b) His mother.
11. Where are fish hooks made from bone, coconut-shell bowls, an extra clothing garment made waterproof for wet weather, and a coil of sennit found?
(a) Inside a bag.
(b) Inside the house.
(c) In a hollow tree.
(d) On the beach.
12. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
(a) It further complicates the situation.
(b) It irritates him.
(c) It worries him.
(d) It makes him excited about the challenge.
13. What symbolizes the courage it took to approach the sacred idol and seize what he needed?
(a) The vines.
(b) The clearing.
(c) The banana tree.
(d) The spearhead.
14. Why did he initially think that Maui had led him to this island?
(a) So he would be safe.
(b) So she could speak with him.
(c) So he could practice his hunting skills.
(d) So he could have a home of his own.
15. What is the pyramid topped by a massive figure?
(a) A shelter.
(b) A school.
(c) A Sacred Place.
(d) A dwelling.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
2. What does Mafatu sees after he slides down the lava slide?
3. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
4. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
5. What does Mafatu spot as he and Uri head toward the reef on the raft?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)