|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is he able to make?
(a) A flying machine.
(b) A gun.
(c) A hammock.
(d) Nets, knives, sharkline and fishhooks.
2. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
(a) It makes him excited about the challenge.
(b) It irritates him.
(c) It worries him.
(d) It further complicates the situation.
3. What has rooted Mafatu to the ground?
(a) A branch.
(b) Uri's growl.
(c) Quick sand.
4. What does he think about again?
(a) How alone he is.
(b) The island he had seen with the smoke rising above the trees.
(c) The island is dangerous.
(d) How hungry he is.
5. What does he think about the skills he had acquired back home?
(a) They need to be improved.
(b) They are proving useful now.
(c) They help a little.
(d) They are a waste.
6. What does Mafatu begin fashioning?
(a) Weapons and other useful items.
(b) A lean-to.
(c) A spit.
(d) A canoe.
7. What have been recently burned?
(a) The trees around the clearing.
(c) Piles of wood.
(d) Piles of bones.
8. What can he use to make a raft?
(b) A tree.
9. What happens when a large wave tips the raft at a severe angle?
(a) Kivi falls in the water.
(b) Mafatu falls in the water.
(c) Uri falls into the water.
(d) The fish traps fall in the water.
10. What does Mafatu now realize about himself?
(a) He misses his tribe.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He is wounded.
(d) He is no longer afraid.
11. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
(a) The fruit is moldy.
(b) The fruit has been cut cleanly from the branch with a knife.
(c) The fruit is missing.
(d) Smoke from another island.
12. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A plate.
(d) A lean-to.
13. How does he feel now that his knife is finished?
(a) Not as brave as he had hoped.
14. When does Mafatu climb up into the branches of the tree?
(a) As the tree is falling.
(b) Before he fells the tree.
(c) When the fire has almost burned through the trunk of the tree.
(d) After the tree has fallen.
15. As he is looking at another island, what is he astonished to see?
(a) Kivi flying in the sky.
(b) Smoke rising from the trees.
(c) A storm brewing.
(d) Canoes in the distance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Majatu conquered another fear when saving his dog?
2. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
3. What does Mafatu do to the shark?
4. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
5. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)