|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu begin fashioning?
(a) A lean-to.
(b) A spit.
(c) Weapons and other useful items.
(d) A canoe.
2. What does he wonder about this island?
(a) If this is where they offered their sacrifices.
(b) Where he should build his home.
(c) If he will ever escape it.
(d) If there are animals on this island.
3. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
(a) Full of his own confidence.
4. What does Mafatu now realize about himself?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He is no longer afraid.
(c) He misses his tribe.
(d) He is afraid.
5. What does he use to pull himself up the slope?
(a) The hanging vines.
(b) A tree.
(d) A ladder.
6. How do the following days find Mafatu?
(a) Busy all the time.
(b) More worried.
7. Why does Mafatu decide not to go to his lookout to check for the arrival of the eaters-of-men?
(a) He is afraid.
(b) It is scary.
(c) It wasted too much of his time.
(d) He is too tired.
8. He has the skill and resources to build a net but cannot get out to the "distant reef" to cast the net without his canoe. What does this do to him?
(a) It further complicates the situation.
(b) It irritates him.
(c) It worries him.
(d) It makes him excited about the challenge.
9. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A lean-to.
(d) A plate.
10. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
(a) The shark.
(d) A wave.
11. How does Mafatu feel when the construction of a new canoe is complete?
(a) Excited to drop the craft in the water.
(d) Worn out.
12. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
(a) A stream.
(b) Foot prints.
(c) A trail of shells.
(d) The trail.
13. What has always scared him away when he went out to the reef to set his traps?
(a) The fish.
(b) The current.
(c) The murky water.
(d) The hammerhead shark.
14. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
(a) His bravery and hunting prowess.
(b) He is strong.
(c) He killed a boar.
(d) He likes to kill.
15. What does Mafatu begin to take care of?
(a) The other myriad tasks that need doing.
(b) Taking care of Uri.
(c) Finding food.
(d) Building his canoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the tree fall to the ground?
2. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
3. What does he think about again?
4. How does he feel as he heads out to the reef?
5. What has rooted Mafatu to the ground?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)