|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are fish hooks made from bone, coconut-shell bowls, an extra clothing garment made waterproof for wet weather, and a coil of sennit found?
(a) In a hollow tree.
(b) On the beach.
(c) Inside the house.
(d) Inside a bag.
2. What has happened when he had taken an item from a sacred place?
(a) A strong wind blew.
(c) Lightning and thunder.
3. What swallows the fish Mafatu has caught?
(a) A wave.
(d) The shark.
4. What happens when Mafatu tries to catch his friend?
(a) He drops him.
(b) He makes a net.
(c) He is too late.
(d) He falls in too.
5. What is he able to make?
(a) A hammock.
(b) A flying machine.
(c) A gun.
(d) Nets, knives, sharkline and fishhooks.
6. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
(a) The sea.
(b) The other side of this island.
(c) The beach.
(d) His side of the island.
7. What frightens Mafatu?
(a) The current.
(b) The dark water.
(c) To see the shark heading right for his dog.
(d) The waves.
8. What does Mafatu begin to take care of?
(a) The other myriad tasks that need doing.
(b) Building his canoe.
(c) Finding food.
(d) Taking care of Uri.
9. Who does he praise for bringing him safely to this island and for giving him courage?
(d) His mother.
10. How does he fashion a fish trap?
(a) From a piece of trash.
(b) From a log.
(c) From a shell.
(d) From bamboo.
11. What does he need to make a fishhook?
(a) A rock.
(b) Some bone.
(c) A shell.
12. How does he feel now that his knife is finished?
(d) Not as brave as he had hoped.
13. What does Mafatu begin fashioning?
(a) A lean-to.
(b) Weapons and other useful items.
(c) A spit.
(d) A canoe.
14. What does Mafatu wake up the next morning and remember?
(a) The crazy events that led him to the beach on which he now lays.
(b) That Uri was injured.
(c) That Kivi never returned.
(d) How his mother died.
15. Who helps Mafatu drag the bones down the beach?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he move toward the idol?
2. He would be able to return home with a boar's tooth necklace as proof of what?
3. What can he use to make a raft?
4. How does Mafatu fall asleep?
5. To where does he head?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)