Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
(a) A great thunderous noise.
(b) Kivi's call.
(c) Uri's wimpering.
2. What is coming their way?
(a) A storm.
(b) A tidal wave.
(c) His father.
(d) A group of warriors.
3. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
(a) He flies away.
(b) Catches a fish.
(c) Flies overhead.
(d) Flies to him.
4. Who might his father think had taken his son?
(a) Moana, the Sea God.
(c) Maui, the Goddess of Fishermen.
(d) His mother's spirit.
5. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
(b) Thunder and lightning.
(d) A shadow.
6. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
(b) The sun sets.
(c) The storm lets up.
(d) The storm picks up.
7. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
(b) His father.
(d) Uri and Kivi.
8. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(a) Uri's body.
(b) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
(d) His father's canoe.
9. How long do they stay in the sea?
(a) For a few hours.
(b) For the whole of the night.
(c) One week.
(d) Two days.
10. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
(a) Nervous and shy.
(b) Slightly embarrassed but eager to keep attempting.
(c) Unfulfilled and ashamed.
(d) Anxious to try again.
11. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) His mother's spirit stands him up.
(b) Maui is holding his hand.
(c) There is sand beneath his feet.
(d) Uri helps him.
12. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) The sharks are circling him.
(b) He can drink the water.
(c) There is a storm coming.
(d) There is a school of fish below him.
13. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
(a) A canoe.
(b) A bag.
(c) A box.
(d) A gourd.
14. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
(a) Where his mother has gone.
(b) How he is ever going to become a fisherman.
(c) When he will see his mother again.
(d) Why his mother stayed on the sea.
15. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
(a) To swim through the coral.
(b) To look for his father.
(c) To look for sea urchins.
(d) To catch fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
2. The situation becomes very reminiscent of what?
3. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
4. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
5. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)