|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
(a) An underwater cave.
(b) A giant whale.
(c) The Sea God.
(d) A giant wave starts thundering toward the canoe.
2. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(b) Slightly nervous.
(c) Relaxed for the first time.
(d) Gripped by terror.
3. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
(b) Thunder and lightning.
(c) A shadow.
4. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
(a) Slightly embarrassed but eager to keep attempting.
(b) Nervous and shy.
(c) Anxious to try again.
(d) Unfulfilled and ashamed.
5. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
(a) She wants the food for herself.
(b) She is incredibly weak from the long battle.
(c) She is full of fear.
(d) The food is hard to get to.
6. From what does Mafatu drink?
(a) One of the green drinking nuts.
(b) A canteen.
(c) A coconut.
(d) The sea.
7. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) The sun sets.
(b) The storm picks up.
(c) The storm lets up.
(d) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
8. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
(a) Uri is nowhere to be found.
(b) A shark is circling his canoe.
(c) Uri is choking for air, stuck under the bow.
(d) Kivi is calling to him.
9. The situation becomes very reminiscent of what?
(a) The tragic day when Mafatu's mother died.
(c) Hurrican weather.
(d) The storms in his dreams.
10. The next day shows what?
(a) Fish to catch.
(b) An island nearby.
(c) No signs of the previous night's storm.
(d) More signs of stormy weather.
11. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
(a) His mother.
(b) His goddess.
(c) His father.
12. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
(a) His father.
13. What danger do they survive?
(c) The sharks circling around them.
14. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
(a) Fresh water.
(b) A cloudless sky.
(c) Land in the distance.
(d) More birds.
15. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
(a) Uri and Kivi.
(c) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Mafatu stand up?
2. What does Kivi do after flying overhead?
3. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
4. What else taunts him?
5. What no longer hangs around his neck?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)