|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
(a) His father.
2. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
(a) An underwater cave.
(b) The Sea God.
(c) A giant wave starts thundering toward the canoe.
(d) A giant whale.
3. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
(a) The hail lasted only a moment.
(b) He has survived.
(c) The storm was not very strong.
(d) No whales were around him.
4. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
(a) Leave home.
(b) Tell his father how he feels.
(c) Learn a new skill.
(d) Shrug off his restraints and face his fear.
5. What no longer hangs around his neck?
(a) His knife.
(b) A gift from his father.
(c) A symbol of the Sea God.
(d) His canteen.
6. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
(a) If he is afraid to use weapons.
(b) If he does not know how to fish.
(c) If he is not strong enough.
(d) If he is afraid to venture past the water's edge.
7. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(a) His father's canoe.
(c) Uri's body.
(d) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
8. The situation becomes very reminiscent of what?
(a) The tragic day when Mafatu's mother died.
(c) The storms in his dreams.
(d) Hurrican weather.
9. With what is Mafatu suddenly filled?
10. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
(a) He is hungry.
(b) The water is so cold.
(c) He wants to find Uri.
(d) He is driven by a will to live.
11. Where has a current formed?
(a) By the shoulder of the reef passage.
(b) Around her canoe.
(c) By the other canoes.
(d) On the other side of the reef.
12. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
(a) The other fishermen save her.
(b) She loses conciousness.
(c) She dies.
(d) She drinks from the coconut.
13. What is Mafatu resolved to do?
(a) Continue doing what he loves.
(b) Run away.
(c) Tell the boys what he thinks of their work.
(d) Never to return to Hikueru unless he is successful in his pursuit.
14. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
(a) He is perceived to be a bringer of bad luck.
(b) He is not skilled enough to fish.
(c) There are too many fishermen.
(d) His father worries about him.
15. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
(c) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens eventually and gradually?
2. Soon, what comes?
3. Who treats Mafatu poorly?
4. What danger do they survive?
5. The next day shows what?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)