|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has a current formed?
(a) By the other canoes.
(b) On the other side of the reef.
(c) Around her canoe.
(d) By the shoulder of the reef passage.
2. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
(a) She laughs at them.
(b) She pays them no attention.
(c) She heeds their warning.
(d) She changes her mind and follows them.
3. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
(b) His father.
4. What is coming their way?
(a) His father.
(b) A group of warriors.
(c) A storm.
(d) A tidal wave.
5. What does Uri do for Mafatu?
(a) He steers the canoe.
(b) He licks his face.
(c) He catches fish.
(d) His thumping tail provides comfort and reassurance.
6. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) There is sand beneath his feet.
(b) Uri helps him.
(c) Maui is holding his hand.
(d) His mother's spirit stands him up.
7. What is it time for the boys to do?
(a) Prepare for fishing.
(b) Say a prayer.
(c) Eat a meal.
(d) Go to bed.
8. What gives them relief from the heat?
(b) A cool breeze.
(d) Shade from Kivi.
9. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
(b) The storm lets up.
(c) The sun sets.
(d) The storm picks up.
10. The next day shows what?
(a) Fish to catch.
(b) More signs of stormy weather.
(c) No signs of the previous night's storm.
(d) An island nearby.
11. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) There is a storm coming.
(b) The sharks are circling him.
(c) He can drink the water.
(d) There is a school of fish below him.
12. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
13. To whom does Mafatu pray?
(a) Moana, the Sea God.
(b) His mother.
(c) Maui, Goddess of the Fisherman.
14. What does Kivi do after flying overhead?
(a) Calls to Mafatu.
(b) Turns and flies south, leading the way.
(c) Flies home.
(d) Lands on the canoe.
15. What would cause Mafatu to lose his spear or line?
(a) The rough seas.
(b) A large fish.
(c) Bad memories would take over his hands.
(d) Other children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens just as suddenly?
2. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
3. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
4. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
5. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)