|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does Mafatu drink?
(a) A coconut.
(b) One of the green drinking nuts.
(c) The sea.
(d) A canteen.
2. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
(b) His father.
3. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
(a) She laughs at them.
(b) She changes her mind and follows them.
(c) She pays them no attention.
(d) She heeds their warning.
4. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) His mother's spirit stands him up.
(b) There is sand beneath his feet.
(c) Uri helps him.
(d) Maui is holding his hand.
5. Where has a current formed?
(a) By the other canoes.
(b) Around her canoe.
(c) By the shoulder of the reef passage.
(d) On the other side of the reef.
6. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
(a) He is perceived to be a bringer of bad luck.
(b) He is not skilled enough to fish.
(c) His father worries about him.
(d) There are too many fishermen.
7. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) There is a storm coming.
(b) He can drink the water.
(c) The sharks are circling him.
(d) There is a school of fish below him.
8. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
(a) He does not have the skills to overcome his fear.
(b) Everyone laughs at him.
(c) He is only successful for a little while.
(d) He is overcome by the power of the sea to intimidate him.
9. How does Mafatu feel?
10. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
(a) When his father grew a heart.
(b) A miracle that occurred early in his childhood.
(c) A life-changing event that happened to him early in his childhood.
(d) How he became a member of the tribe.
11. What danger do they survive?
(a) The sharks circling around them.
12. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
(a) He is hungry.
(b) The water is so cold.
(c) He is driven by a will to live.
(d) He wants to find Uri.
13. From what is Mafatu getting no relief?
(a) The blistering sun and thirst.
(b) His fear.
(c) Uri's whining.
(d) His hunger.
14. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
(c) Uri and Kivi.
(d) His father.
15. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
(a) To get away from those who tease him.
(b) To be more helpful.
(c) In order to have a better relationship with his father.
(d) In order to prove his worth as a fisherman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
2. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
3. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
4. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
5. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)