|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
(a) Catches a fish.
(b) Flies overhead.
(c) Flies to him.
(d) He flies away.
2. What is it time for the boys to do?
(a) Eat a meal.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Prepare for fishing.
(d) Say a prayer.
3. To whom does Mafatu pray?
(a) Moana, the Sea God.
(b) His mother.
(d) Maui, Goddess of the Fisherman.
4. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
(a) To get away from those who tease him.
(b) In order to have a better relationship with his father.
(c) In order to prove his worth as a fisherman.
(d) To be more helpful.
5. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
(a) His father's canoe is behind him.
(b) He sees his goddess.
(c) The sight of land spurring him onward.
(d) Uri has fallen in the water.
6. What else taunts him?
(a) The fish.
(b) The tribal warriors.
(c) The sea.
(d) His mother, in his dreams.
7. Where has a current formed?
(a) By the other canoes.
(b) By the shoulder of the reef passage.
(c) Around her canoe.
(d) On the other side of the reef.
8. With what is Mafatu suddenly filled?
9. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) He can drink the water.
(b) There is a school of fish below him.
(c) There is a storm coming.
(d) The sharks are circling him.
10. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
(a) She drinks from the coconut.
(b) She loses conciousness.
(c) She dies.
(d) The other fishermen save her.
11. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(b) Endless mocking and ridicule.
(c) Blame for his mother's death.
(d) The ridicule from a step-mother.
12. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
(a) He is hungry.
(b) He wants to find Uri.
(c) He is driven by a will to live.
(d) The water is so cold.
13. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
(a) It he will be relieved that his son has left.
(b) If he will be angry with him.
(c) If he would be upset, once he realizes his son is missing.
(d) If he will follow him.
14. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
(b) His goddess.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
15. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) There is sand beneath his feet.
(b) His mother's spirit stands him up.
(c) Uri helps him.
(d) Maui is holding his hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
2. What happens just as suddenly?
3. What is coming their way?
4. From what does Mafatu drink?
5. What does the current do to their canoe?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)