|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what is Mafatu getting no relief?
(a) The blistering sun and thirst.
(b) Uri's whining.
(c) His fear.
(d) His hunger.
2. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
(a) How far away from home he is.
(b) He is drowning.
(c) He cannot find his dog.
(d) He has hit his head.
3. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(a) Slightly nervous.
(b) Relaxed for the first time.
(d) Gripped by terror.
4. What does Mafatu's mother decide to do?
(a) Send Mafatu with the other men.
(b) Join the other canoes.
(c) Brave the elements.
(d) Find a new fishing spot.
5. What else taunts him?
(a) The sea.
(b) The fish.
(c) The tribal warriors.
(d) His mother, in his dreams.
6. How long do they stay in the sea?
(a) Two days.
(b) One week.
(c) For the whole of the night.
(d) For a few hours.
7. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
(a) No whales were around him.
(b) The storm was not very strong.
(c) The hail lasted only a moment.
(d) He has survived.
8. What happens to the tiny canoe?
(a) It tips over.
(b) It is lifted into the air and torn to splinters on the reef.
(c) It spins in a circle.
(d) It speeds up.
9. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
(a) A miracle that occurred early in his childhood.
(b) How he became a member of the tribe.
(c) A life-changing event that happened to him early in his childhood.
(d) When his father grew a heart.
10. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
11. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
(a) When he will see his mother again.
(b) Why his mother stayed on the sea.
(c) How he is ever going to become a fisherman.
(d) Where his mother has gone.
12. Where has a current formed?
(a) On the other side of the reef.
(b) Around her canoe.
(c) By the shoulder of the reef passage.
(d) By the other canoes.
13. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) His mother's spirit stands him up.
(b) Uri helps him.
(c) Maui is holding his hand.
(d) There is sand beneath his feet.
14. What gives them relief from the heat?
(a) A cool breeze.
(d) Shade from Kivi.
15. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(a) His father's canoe.
(b) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
(c) Uri's body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
2. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
3. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
4. What does Mafatu have to endure?
5. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)