|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives them relief from the heat?
(a) A cool breeze.
(c) Shade from Kivi.
2. Who might his father think had taken his son?
(b) Moana, the Sea God.
(c) His mother's spirit.
(d) Maui, the Goddess of Fishermen.
3. How are they end up in the churning sea?
(a) When Mafatu's mother jumps overboard.
(b) When the boat collapses.
(c) When their boat capsizes.
(d) When the boat begins to leak.
4. What no longer hangs around his neck?
(a) His knife.
(b) A symbol of the Sea God.
(c) His canteen.
(d) A gift from his father.
5. What is Mafatu resolved to do?
(a) Continue doing what he loves.
(b) Never to return to Hikueru unless he is successful in his pursuit.
(c) Tell the boys what he thinks of their work.
(d) Run away.
6. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(a) Relaxed for the first time.
(c) Gripped by terror.
(d) Slightly nervous.
7. To whom does Mafatu pray?
(a) His mother.
(b) Maui, Goddess of the Fisherman.
(c) Moana, the Sea God.
8. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) There is sand beneath his feet.
(b) His mother's spirit stands him up.
(c) Uri helps him.
(d) Maui is holding his hand.
9. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
(a) Leave home.
(b) Shrug off his restraints and face his fear.
(c) Tell his father how he feels.
(d) Learn a new skill.
10. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
(a) If he will follow him.
(b) If he will be angry with him.
(c) It he will be relieved that his son has left.
(d) If he would be upset, once he realizes his son is missing.
11. Soon, what comes?
(a) Another storm.
(b) Another night.
(d) His father.
12. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
(d) His father.
13. From what does Mafatu drink?
(a) The sea.
(b) A canteen.
(c) A coconut.
(d) One of the green drinking nuts.
14. How does Mafatu feel?
15. What is it time for the boys to do?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Say a prayer.
(c) Prepare for fishing.
(d) Eat a meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uri do for Mafatu?
2. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
3. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
4. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
5. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)