|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the tiny canoe?
(a) It is lifted into the air and torn to splinters on the reef.
(b) It spins in a circle.
(c) It tips over.
(d) It speeds up.
2. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
(a) Flies to him.
(b) Catches a fish.
(c) He flies away.
(d) Flies overhead.
3. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
(a) Kivi's call.
(b) A great thunderous noise.
(c) Uri's wimpering.
4. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) Endless mocking and ridicule.
(b) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(c) Blame for his mother's death.
(d) The ridicule from a step-mother.
5. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
(b) His father.
6. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
(a) He is overcome by the power of the sea to intimidate him.
(b) Everyone laughs at him.
(c) He does not have the skills to overcome his fear.
(d) He is only successful for a little while.
7. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
(a) He prays to the goddess to help him.
(b) He cries.
(c) He sits and watches the other men.
(d) He fashions spears, nets, and sharkline for the other young boys to use.
8. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
(a) He has hit his head.
(b) He cannot find his dog.
(c) He is drowning.
(d) How far away from home he is.
9. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
(a) His father.
10. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
(a) How he became a member of the tribe.
(b) A miracle that occurred early in his childhood.
(c) When his father grew a heart.
(d) A life-changing event that happened to him early in his childhood.
11. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
(a) She laughs at them.
(b) She changes her mind and follows them.
(c) She heeds their warning.
(d) She pays them no attention.
12. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
(a) Woman's work.
(b) A waste of time.
13. What happens as the current gets quicker?
(a) The canoe moves faster.
(b) Kivi returns.
(c) The wind begins to pick up.
(d) Uri falls in the water.
14. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
(b) His inability to fight.
(c) The silence and disapproval of his father.
(d) His lack of a mother.
15. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
(a) A canoe.
(b) A box.
(c) A gourd.
(d) A bag.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
2. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
3. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
4. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
5. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)