|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
(a) The Sea God.
(b) A giant wave starts thundering toward the canoe.
(c) A giant whale.
(d) An underwater cave.
2. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) There is a storm coming.
(b) The sharks are circling him.
(c) There is a school of fish below him.
(d) He can drink the water.
3. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
(a) The hail lasted only a moment.
(b) No whales were around him.
(c) The storm was not very strong.
(d) He has survived.
4. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
(a) Everyone laughs at him.
(b) He is overcome by the power of the sea to intimidate him.
(c) He is only successful for a little while.
(d) He does not have the skills to overcome his fear.
5. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
(a) It he will be relieved that his son has left.
(b) If he would be upset, once he realizes his son is missing.
(c) If he will follow him.
(d) If he will be angry with him.
6. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
(a) Continue to fish.
(b) Continue looking for sea urchins.
(c) Send Mafatu with the other fishermen.
(d) Head back to shore.
7. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
(a) Kivi is calling to him.
(b) Uri is choking for air, stuck under the bow.
(c) Uri is nowhere to be found.
(d) A shark is circling his canoe.
8. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) The sun sets.
(b) The storm picks up.
(c) The storm lets up.
(d) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
9. What no longer hangs around his neck?
(a) His knife.
(b) A gift from his father.
(c) A symbol of the Sea God.
(d) His canteen.
10. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
(a) He wants to find Uri.
(b) The water is so cold.
(c) He is hungry.
(d) He is driven by a will to live.
11. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
(a) To look for sea urchins.
(b) To catch fish.
(c) To look for his father.
(d) To swim through the coral.
12. To whom does Mafatu pray?
(a) Maui, Goddess of the Fisherman.
(c) Moana, the Sea God.
(d) His mother.
13. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
(a) A waste of time.
(b) Woman's work.
14. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
(a) His father.
15. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
(a) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Mafatu stand up?
2. What happens just as suddenly?
3. What is it time for the boys to do?
4. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
5. What does Mafatu's mother decide to do?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)