|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(a) Slightly nervous.
(b) Relaxed for the first time.
(d) Gripped by terror.
2. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) He can drink the water.
(b) The sharks are circling him.
(c) There is a storm coming.
(d) There is a school of fish below him.
3. What happens just as suddenly?
(a) Kivi leaves again.
(b) Uri climbs back in the canoe.
(c) The canoe stops moving.
(d) The wind dies down and the sea is still again.
4. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) The sun sets.
(b) The storm lets up.
(c) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
(d) The storm picks up.
5. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
(a) The other fishermen save her.
(b) She dies.
(c) She loses conciousness.
(d) She drinks from the coconut.
6. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
(a) A great thunderous noise.
(b) Uri's wimpering.
(d) Kivi's call.
7. The next day shows what?
(a) More signs of stormy weather.
(b) An island nearby.
(c) No signs of the previous night's storm.
(d) Fish to catch.
8. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
(c) His father.
9. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
(a) Shrug off his restraints and face his fear.
(b) Learn a new skill.
(c) Leave home.
(d) Tell his father how he feels.
10. What happens as the current gets quicker?
(a) Uri falls in the water.
(b) The wind begins to pick up.
(c) The canoe moves faster.
(d) Kivi returns.
11. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
(a) He does not have the skills to overcome his fear.
(b) He is only successful for a little while.
(c) Everyone laughs at him.
(d) He is overcome by the power of the sea to intimidate him.
12. To whom does Mafatu pray?
(a) His mother.
(c) Maui, Goddess of the Fisherman.
(d) Moana, the Sea God.
13. What happens to the tiny canoe?
(a) It is lifted into the air and torn to splinters on the reef.
(b) It tips over.
(c) It spins in a circle.
(d) It speeds up.
14. Who might his father think had taken his son?
(a) Moana, the Sea God.
(b) Maui, the Goddess of Fishermen.
(c) His mother's spirit.
15. What does Kivi do after flying overhead?
(a) Flies home.
(b) Lands on the canoe.
(c) Turns and flies south, leading the way.
(d) Calls to Mafatu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
2. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
3. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
4. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
5. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)