|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
(a) He is drowning.
(b) He cannot find his dog.
(c) How far away from home he is.
(d) He has hit his head.
2. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
(a) To catch fish.
(b) To swim through the coral.
(c) To look for sea urchins.
(d) To look for his father.
3. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His goddess.
4. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
(a) Uri is nowhere to be found.
(b) A shark is circling his canoe.
(c) Kivi is calling to him.
(d) Uri is choking for air, stuck under the bow.
5. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(b) Relaxed for the first time.
(c) Gripped by terror.
(d) Slightly nervous.
6. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
(a) If he will follow him.
(b) If he would be upset, once he realizes his son is missing.
(c) It he will be relieved that his son has left.
(d) If he will be angry with him.
7. Soon, what comes?
(a) Another storm.
(c) Another night.
(d) His father.
8. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) The ridicule from a step-mother.
(b) Endless mocking and ridicule.
(c) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(d) Blame for his mother's death.
9. For what does Mafatu search?
(a) Signs of a storm.
(b) Signs of Kivi.
(c) Signs of fish.
(d) Signs of land.
10. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) The silence and disapproval of his father.
(b) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
(c) His lack of a mother.
(d) His inability to fight.
11. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
(a) She pays them no attention.
(b) She heeds their warning.
(c) She laughs at them.
(d) She changes her mind and follows them.
12. What no longer hangs around his neck?
(a) His knife.
(b) His canteen.
(c) A symbol of the Sea God.
(d) A gift from his father.
13. From what does Mafatu drink?
(a) The sea.
(b) A canteen.
(c) One of the green drinking nuts.
(d) A coconut.
14. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
(a) The sight of land spurring him onward.
(b) Uri has fallen in the water.
(c) He sees his goddess.
(d) His father's canoe is behind him.
15. How long do they stay in the sea?
(a) For the whole of the night.
(b) One week.
(c) For a few hours.
(d) Two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
2. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
3. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
4. What else taunts him?
5. Why can Mafatu stand up?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)