|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it time for the boys to do?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Eat a meal.
(c) Prepare for fishing.
(d) Say a prayer.
2. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
(b) His goddess.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
3. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
(b) Woman's work.
(c) A waste of time.
4. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
(a) Fishing at night.
(b) Fishing too close to the reef.
(c) Catching sea urchins.
(d) Staying out in the water.
5. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
(a) In order to have a better relationship with his father.
(b) To get away from those who tease him.
(c) To be more helpful.
(d) In order to prove his worth as a fisherman.
6. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
(a) Leave home.
(b) Tell his father how he feels.
(c) Learn a new skill.
(d) Shrug off his restraints and face his fear.
7. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
(a) He screams.
(b) He buries his face in his arms, crying.
(c) He cuts his arm.
(d) He hugs Uri.
8. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
(a) Anxious to try again.
(b) Unfulfilled and ashamed.
(c) Nervous and shy.
(d) Slightly embarrassed but eager to keep attempting.
9. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
(a) He wants to find Uri.
(b) He is hungry.
(c) The water is so cold.
(d) He is driven by a will to live.
10. With what is Mafatu suddenly filled?
11. To whom does Mafatu pray?
(a) His mother.
(c) Maui, Goddess of the Fisherman.
(d) Moana, the Sea God.
12. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
(c) Uri and Kivi.
(d) His father.
13. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) Uri helps him.
(b) His mother's spirit stands him up.
(c) Maui is holding his hand.
(d) There is sand beneath his feet.
14. What would cause Mafatu to lose his spear or line?
(a) A large fish.
(b) The rough seas.
(c) Bad memories would take over his hands.
(d) Other children.
15. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
(a) They count their catch.
(b) They slowly head back home.
(c) They head for the safety of dry land.
(d) They find a new place to fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
2. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
3. What does Uri do for Mafatu?
4. What happens as the current gets quicker?
5. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)