|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what is Mafatu getting no relief?
(a) His hunger.
(b) His fear.
(c) The blistering sun and thirst.
(d) Uri's whining.
2. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
(a) To be more helpful.
(b) In order to have a better relationship with his father.
(c) To get away from those who tease him.
(d) In order to prove his worth as a fisherman.
3. What happens as the current gets quicker?
(a) The wind begins to pick up.
(b) Kivi returns.
(c) Uri falls in the water.
(d) The canoe moves faster.
4. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
(a) An underwater cave.
(b) A giant wave starts thundering toward the canoe.
(c) The Sea God.
(d) A giant whale.
5. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(b) Endless mocking and ridicule.
(c) The ridicule from a step-mother.
(d) Blame for his mother's death.
6. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
(a) He prays to the goddess to help him.
(b) He cries.
(c) He sits and watches the other men.
(d) He fashions spears, nets, and sharkline for the other young boys to use.
7. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
(a) His father's canoe is behind him.
(b) Uri has fallen in the water.
(c) He sees his goddess.
(d) The sight of land spurring him onward.
8. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
(a) He flies away.
(b) Catches a fish.
(c) Flies overhead.
(d) Flies to him.
9. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
(a) He is only successful for a little while.
(b) He is overcome by the power of the sea to intimidate him.
(c) He does not have the skills to overcome his fear.
(d) Everyone laughs at him.
10. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
(a) If he is not strong enough.
(b) If he is afraid to venture past the water's edge.
(c) If he does not know how to fish.
(d) If he is afraid to use weapons.
11. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
(a) His goddess.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
12. To whom does Mafatu pray?
(a) Maui, Goddess of the Fisherman.
(c) Moana, the Sea God.
(d) His mother.
13. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(a) Uri's body.
(b) His father's canoe.
(d) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
14. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
(b) Thunder and lightning.
(c) A shadow.
15. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) There is a storm coming.
(b) The sharks are circling him.
(c) He can drink the water.
(d) There is a school of fish below him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
2. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
3. Soon, what comes?
4. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
5. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)