|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Mafatu pray?
(a) Moana, the Sea God.
(b) His mother.
(d) Maui, Goddess of the Fisherman.
2. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
(a) How far away from home he is.
(b) He is drowning.
(c) He cannot find his dog.
(d) He has hit his head.
3. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
(a) There are too many fishermen.
(b) He is not skilled enough to fish.
(c) His father worries about him.
(d) He is perceived to be a bringer of bad luck.
4. What does Uri do for Mafatu?
(a) He steers the canoe.
(b) He catches fish.
(c) His thumping tail provides comfort and reassurance.
(d) He licks his face.
5. The situation becomes very reminiscent of what?
(a) The storms in his dreams.
(b) Hurrican weather.
(d) The tragic day when Mafatu's mother died.
6. Where has a current formed?
(a) By the other canoes.
(b) On the other side of the reef.
(c) By the shoulder of the reef passage.
(d) Around her canoe.
7. What danger do they survive?
(d) The sharks circling around them.
8. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
9. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
(a) Fresh water.
(b) A cloudless sky.
(c) Land in the distance.
(d) More birds.
10. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
(a) A giant wave starts thundering toward the canoe.
(b) A giant whale.
(c) The Sea God.
(d) An underwater cave.
11. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
(a) To look for sea urchins.
(b) To catch fish.
(c) To swim through the coral.
(d) To look for his father.
12. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
(a) She is full of fear.
(b) The food is hard to get to.
(c) She wants the food for herself.
(d) She is incredibly weak from the long battle.
13. Who treats Mafatu poorly?
(a) The other children.
(b) His step-mother.
(c) His teachers.
(d) His father and the other children in the village.
14. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
(b) His father.
(c) Uri and Kivi.
15. What is Mafatu resolved to do?
(a) Never to return to Hikueru unless he is successful in his pursuit.
(b) Run away.
(c) Tell the boys what he thinks of their work.
(d) Continue doing what he loves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
2. What gives them relief from the heat?
3. What no longer hangs around his neck?
4. For what does Mafatu search?
5. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)