|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
(a) He is perceived to be a bringer of bad luck.
(b) His father worries about him.
(c) He is not skilled enough to fish.
(d) There are too many fishermen.
2. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
(a) Staying out in the water.
(b) Catching sea urchins.
(c) Fishing too close to the reef.
(d) Fishing at night.
3. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
(a) A miracle that occurred early in his childhood.
(b) When his father grew a heart.
(c) How he became a member of the tribe.
(d) A life-changing event that happened to him early in his childhood.
4. What would cause Mafatu to lose his spear or line?
(a) The rough seas.
(b) A large fish.
(c) Other children.
(d) Bad memories would take over his hands.
5. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(a) Gripped by terror.
(b) Slightly nervous.
(d) Relaxed for the first time.
6. Soon, what comes?
(a) Another storm.
(b) His father.
(d) Another night.
7. What does Kivi do after flying overhead?
(a) Turns and flies south, leading the way.
(b) Flies home.
(c) Calls to Mafatu.
(d) Lands on the canoe.
8. To whom does Mafatu pray?
(a) His mother.
(b) Moana, the Sea God.
(d) Maui, Goddess of the Fisherman.
9. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
(a) His father.
(b) His goddess.
(d) His mother.
10. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
(a) The sight of land spurring him onward.
(b) His father's canoe is behind him.
(c) Uri has fallen in the water.
(d) He sees his goddess.
11. What happens as the current gets quicker?
(a) The wind begins to pick up.
(b) Uri falls in the water.
(c) The canoe moves faster.
(d) Kivi returns.
12. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(b) Blame for his mother's death.
(c) The ridicule from a step-mother.
(d) Endless mocking and ridicule.
13. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
(a) Tell his father how he feels.
(b) Leave home.
(c) Learn a new skill.
(d) Shrug off his restraints and face his fear.
14. What does Mafatu's mother decide to do?
(a) Send Mafatu with the other men.
(b) Find a new fishing spot.
(c) Brave the elements.
(d) Join the other canoes.
15. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
(a) He does not have the skills to overcome his fear.
(b) Everyone laughs at him.
(c) He is only successful for a little while.
(d) He is overcome by the power of the sea to intimidate him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
2. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
3. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
4. What is coming their way?
5. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)