|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
(a) She drinks from the coconut.
(b) She dies.
(c) The other fishermen save her.
(d) She loses conciousness.
2. Soon, what comes?
(a) His father.
(c) Another storm.
(d) Another night.
3. What is it time for the boys to do?
(a) Prepare for fishing.
(b) Say a prayer.
(c) Go to bed.
(d) Eat a meal.
4. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
(a) Flies to him.
(b) Flies overhead.
(c) He flies away.
(d) Catches a fish.
5. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
(a) Uri and Kivi.
(b) His father.
6. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
(a) An underwater cave.
(b) The Sea God.
(c) A giant whale.
(d) A giant wave starts thundering toward the canoe.
7. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
(a) Slightly embarrassed but eager to keep attempting.
(b) Unfulfilled and ashamed.
(c) Nervous and shy.
(d) Anxious to try again.
8. How does Mafatu feel?
9. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
(a) If he does not know how to fish.
(b) If he is afraid to venture past the water's edge.
(c) If he is not strong enough.
(d) If he is afraid to use weapons.
10. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
(a) How he is ever going to become a fisherman.
(b) When he will see his mother again.
(c) Why his mother stayed on the sea.
(d) Where his mother has gone.
11. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
(d) His father.
12. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
(a) The storm was not very strong.
(b) The hail lasted only a moment.
(c) No whales were around him.
(d) He has survived.
13. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
(a) A bag.
(b) A gourd.
(c) A canoe.
(d) A box.
14. With what is Mafatu suddenly filled?
15. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
(a) He is drowning.
(b) He cannot find his dog.
(c) How far away from home he is.
(d) He has hit his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
2. What does the current do to their canoe?
3. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
4. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
5. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)