|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu's mother decide to do?
(a) Send Mafatu with the other men.
(b) Brave the elements.
(c) Join the other canoes.
(d) Find a new fishing spot.
2. Soon, what comes?
(a) Another night.
(c) Another storm.
(d) His father.
3. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
(a) Tell his father how he feels.
(b) Shrug off his restraints and face his fear.
(c) Leave home.
(d) Learn a new skill.
4. What no longer hangs around his neck?
(a) A symbol of the Sea God.
(b) His knife.
(c) A gift from his father.
(d) His canteen.
5. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
(b) A shadow.
(d) Thunder and lightning.
6. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
(a) He is driven by a will to live.
(b) He wants to find Uri.
(c) The water is so cold.
(d) He is hungry.
7. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
(b) A waste of time.
(d) Woman's work.
8. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
(a) He has hit his head.
(b) How far away from home he is.
(c) He cannot find his dog.
(d) He is drowning.
9. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
(a) They find a new place to fish.
(b) They slowly head back home.
(c) They head for the safety of dry land.
(d) They count their catch.
10. The situation becomes very reminiscent of what?
(a) The tragic day when Mafatu's mother died.
(b) The storms in his dreams.
(c) Hurrican weather.
11. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) His mother's spirit stands him up.
(b) There is sand beneath his feet.
(c) Maui is holding his hand.
(d) Uri helps him.
12. The next day shows what?
(a) An island nearby.
(b) Fish to catch.
(c) More signs of stormy weather.
(d) No signs of the previous night's storm.
13. How are they end up in the churning sea?
(a) When Mafatu's mother jumps overboard.
(b) When the boat begins to leak.
(c) When the boat collapses.
(d) When their boat capsizes.
14. What is it time for the boys to do?
(a) Prepare for fishing.
(b) Say a prayer.
(c) Go to bed.
(d) Eat a meal.
15. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(a) His father's canoe.
(b) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
(d) Uri's body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
2. What happens just as suddenly?
3. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
4. What would cause Mafatu to lose his spear or line?
5. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)