|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The next day shows what?
(a) Fish to catch.
(b) More signs of stormy weather.
(c) No signs of the previous night's storm.
(d) An island nearby.
2. What does the current do to their canoe?
(a) It takes hold of it.
(b) It spins it around.
(c) It pushes it towards the other canoes.
(d) It goes around it.
3. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
(a) More birds.
(b) Land in the distance.
(c) A cloudless sky.
(d) Fresh water.
4. What does Uri do for Mafatu?
(a) He licks his face.
(b) He steers the canoe.
(c) His thumping tail provides comfort and reassurance.
(d) He catches fish.
5. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
(b) His father.
6. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
(a) How he is ever going to become a fisherman.
(b) Where his mother has gone.
(c) Why his mother stayed on the sea.
(d) When he will see his mother again.
7. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
(a) To be more helpful.
(b) To get away from those who tease him.
(c) In order to have a better relationship with his father.
(d) In order to prove his worth as a fisherman.
8. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(a) Slightly nervous.
(b) Gripped by terror.
(d) Relaxed for the first time.
9. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
(a) His father's canoe is behind him.
(b) Uri has fallen in the water.
(c) The sight of land spurring him onward.
(d) He sees his goddess.
10. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
(a) Flies to him.
(b) Catches a fish.
(c) He flies away.
(d) Flies overhead.
11. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
(a) There are too many fishermen.
(b) His father worries about him.
(c) He is not skilled enough to fish.
(d) He is perceived to be a bringer of bad luck.
12. What happens just as suddenly?
(a) Uri climbs back in the canoe.
(b) Kivi leaves again.
(c) The canoe stops moving.
(d) The wind dies down and the sea is still again.
13. What is coming their way?
(a) A group of warriors.
(b) His father.
(c) A tidal wave.
(d) A storm.
14. To whom does Mafatu pray?
(b) Moana, the Sea God.
(c) His mother.
(d) Maui, Goddess of the Fisherman.
15. For what does Mafatu search?
(a) Signs of Kivi.
(b) Signs of a storm.
(c) Signs of fish.
(d) Signs of land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kivi do after flying overhead?
2. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
3. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
4. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
5. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)