|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what is Mafatu getting no relief?
(a) His fear.
(b) The blistering sun and thirst.
(c) Uri's whining.
(d) His hunger.
2. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
(a) If he will follow him.
(b) If he will be angry with him.
(c) If he would be upset, once he realizes his son is missing.
(d) It he will be relieved that his son has left.
3. Who treats Mafatu poorly?
(a) His teachers.
(b) His father and the other children in the village.
(c) His step-mother.
(d) The other children.
4. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) His lack of a mother.
(b) The silence and disapproval of his father.
(c) His inability to fight.
(d) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
5. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) There is a storm coming.
(b) There is a school of fish below him.
(c) The sharks are circling him.
(d) He can drink the water.
6. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
(a) They find a new place to fish.
(b) They head for the safety of dry land.
(c) They count their catch.
(d) They slowly head back home.
7. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(b) Blame for his mother's death.
(c) The ridicule from a step-mother.
(d) Endless mocking and ridicule.
8. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(b) Slightly nervous.
(c) Relaxed for the first time.
(d) Gripped by terror.
9. What is coming their way?
(a) A storm.
(b) His father.
(c) A group of warriors.
(d) A tidal wave.
10. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
11. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
(a) Catching sea urchins.
(b) Fishing at night.
(c) Staying out in the water.
(d) Fishing too close to the reef.
12. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) The sun sets.
(b) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
(c) The storm picks up.
(d) The storm lets up.
13. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
(b) A waste of time.
(c) Woman's work.
14. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
(a) Learn a new skill.
(b) Shrug off his restraints and face his fear.
(c) Tell his father how he feels.
(d) Leave home.
15. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
(a) He cannot find his dog.
(b) How far away from home he is.
(c) He is drowning.
(d) He has hit his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
2. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
3. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
4. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
5. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)