|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
(a) The food is hard to get to.
(b) She is full of fear.
(c) She is incredibly weak from the long battle.
(d) She wants the food for herself.
2. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) The sharks are circling him.
(b) There is a storm coming.
(c) He can drink the water.
(d) There is a school of fish below him.
3. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
(a) The other fishermen save her.
(b) She drinks from the coconut.
(c) She dies.
(d) She loses conciousness.
4. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
(a) He does not have the skills to overcome his fear.
(b) Everyone laughs at him.
(c) He is only successful for a little while.
(d) He is overcome by the power of the sea to intimidate him.
5. What happens to the tiny canoe?
(a) It speeds up.
(b) It spins in a circle.
(c) It tips over.
(d) It is lifted into the air and torn to splinters on the reef.
6. How long do they stay in the sea?
(a) For the whole of the night.
(b) One week.
(c) For a few hours.
(d) Two days.
7. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
8. The situation becomes very reminiscent of what?
(a) The storms in his dreams.
(b) Hurrican weather.
(c) The tragic day when Mafatu's mother died.
9. What danger do they survive?
(c) The sharks circling around them.
10. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
(a) A giant wave starts thundering toward the canoe.
(b) The Sea God.
(c) A giant whale.
(d) An underwater cave.
11. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(b) The ridicule from a step-mother.
(c) Endless mocking and ridicule.
(d) Blame for his mother's death.
12. What gives them relief from the heat?
(b) A cool breeze.
(c) Shade from Kivi.
13. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
(a) Land in the distance.
(b) More birds.
(c) A cloudless sky.
(d) Fresh water.
14. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) The sun sets.
(b) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
(c) The storm lets up.
(d) The storm picks up.
15. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
(a) If he would be upset, once he realizes his son is missing.
(b) If he will follow him.
(c) It he will be relieved that his son has left.
(d) If he will be angry with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
2. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
3. How are they end up in the churning sea?
4. The next day shows what?
5. What happens as the current gets quicker?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)