|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
2. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
(b) Uri and Kivi.
(c) His father.
3. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
(a) How he is ever going to become a fisherman.
(b) Why his mother stayed on the sea.
(c) Where his mother has gone.
(d) When he will see his mother again.
4. What else taunts him?
(a) The tribal warriors.
(b) The sea.
(c) His mother, in his dreams.
(d) The fish.
5. Who treats Mafatu poorly?
(a) The other children.
(b) His teachers.
(c) His step-mother.
(d) His father and the other children in the village.
6. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
(a) His father.
7. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
(a) He has survived.
(b) The hail lasted only a moment.
(c) The storm was not very strong.
(d) No whales were around him.
8. From what does Mafatu drink?
(a) One of the green drinking nuts.
(b) A coconut.
(c) The sea.
(d) A canteen.
9. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
(a) Staying out in the water.
(b) Fishing too close to the reef.
(c) Catching sea urchins.
(d) Fishing at night.
10. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
(a) A shark is circling his canoe.
(b) Kivi is calling to him.
(c) Uri is choking for air, stuck under the bow.
(d) Uri is nowhere to be found.
11. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) The ridicule from a step-mother.
(b) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(c) Endless mocking and ridicule.
(d) Blame for his mother's death.
12. What is coming their way?
(a) A storm.
(b) A tidal wave.
(c) A group of warriors.
(d) His father.
13. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
(a) Continue looking for sea urchins.
(b) Head back to shore.
(c) Continue to fish.
(d) Send Mafatu with the other fishermen.
14. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
(a) Thunder and lightning.
(c) A shadow.
15. The situation becomes very reminiscent of what?
(a) The storms in his dreams.
(b) Hurrican weather.
(d) The tragic day when Mafatu's mother died.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are they end up in the churning sea?
2. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
3. What does Kivi do after flying overhead?
4. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
5. To whom does Mafatu pray?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)