|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) His lack of a mother.
(b) His inability to fight.
(c) The silence and disapproval of his father.
(d) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
2. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
(a) They slowly head back home.
(b) They find a new place to fish.
(c) They count their catch.
(d) They head for the safety of dry land.
3. How long do they stay in the sea?
(a) Two days.
(b) For the whole of the night.
(c) For a few hours.
(d) One week.
4. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
(b) A waste of time.
(d) Woman's work.
5. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
(a) His goddess.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
6. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
(a) He cuts his arm.
(b) He buries his face in his arms, crying.
(c) He hugs Uri.
(d) He screams.
7. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
(a) How he became a member of the tribe.
(b) A life-changing event that happened to him early in his childhood.
(c) A miracle that occurred early in his childhood.
(d) When his father grew a heart.
8. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
(a) Uri is nowhere to be found.
(b) Uri is choking for air, stuck under the bow.
(c) A shark is circling his canoe.
(d) Kivi is calling to him.
9. What has Mafatu resolved to do this year?
(a) Learn a new skill.
(b) Leave home.
(c) Shrug off his restraints and face his fear.
(d) Tell his father how he feels.
10. Who treats Mafatu poorly?
(a) His teachers.
(b) His father and the other children in the village.
(c) The other children.
(d) His step-mother.
11. From what does Mafatu drink?
(a) The sea.
(b) A coconut.
(c) A canteen.
(d) One of the green drinking nuts.
12. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
(a) The hail lasted only a moment.
(b) He has survived.
(c) The storm was not very strong.
(d) No whales were around him.
13. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) Blame for his mother's death.
(b) The ridicule from a step-mother.
(c) Endless mocking and ridicule.
(d) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
14. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(a) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
(c) His father's canoe.
(d) Uri's body.
15. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
Short Answer Questions
1. The situation becomes very reminiscent of what?
2. Where has a current formed?
3. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
4. Why can Mafatu stand up?
5. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)