|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) Uri helps him.
(b) Maui is holding his hand.
(c) There is sand beneath his feet.
(d) His mother's spirit stands him up.
2. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
(a) He sees his goddess.
(b) Uri has fallen in the water.
(c) His father's canoe is behind him.
(d) The sight of land spurring him onward.
3. What wakes Mafatu at midnight?
(a) Uri's wimpering.
(b) A great thunderous noise.
(d) Kivi's call.
4. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
(a) Head back to shore.
(b) Continue to fish.
(c) Continue looking for sea urchins.
(d) Send Mafatu with the other fishermen.
5. How does Mafatu feel?
6. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
(b) Woman's work.
(c) A waste of time.
7. Years later, what is Mafatu left wondering?
(a) When he will see his mother again.
(b) Where his mother has gone.
(c) Why his mother stayed on the sea.
(d) How he is ever going to become a fisherman.
8. What no longer hangs around his neck?
(a) A gift from his father.
(b) His knife.
(c) A symbol of the Sea God.
(d) His canteen.
9. What does Mafatu wonder about his father, Tavana Nui?
(a) It he will be relieved that his son has left.
(b) If he would be upset, once he realizes his son is missing.
(c) If he will be angry with him.
(d) If he will follow him.
10. Who treats Mafatu poorly?
(a) The other children.
(b) His step-mother.
(c) His father and the other children in the village.
(d) His teachers.
11. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
(a) An underwater cave.
(b) A giant whale.
(c) A giant wave starts thundering toward the canoe.
(d) The Sea God.
12. What happens to the tiny canoe?
(a) It spins in a circle.
(b) It is lifted into the air and torn to splinters on the reef.
(c) It tips over.
(d) It speeds up.
13. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
(a) He does not have the skills to overcome his fear.
(b) Everyone laughs at him.
(c) He is overcome by the power of the sea to intimidate him.
(d) He is only successful for a little while.
14. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
15. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(b) His father's canoe.
(c) Uri's body.
(d) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
2. From what does Mafatu drink?
3. What is it time for the boys to do?
4. What danger do they survive?
5. What gives them relief from the heat?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)