|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
(a) Catching sea urchins.
(b) Fishing too close to the reef.
(c) Staying out in the water.
(d) Fishing at night.
2. With what is Mafatu suddenly filled?
3. Who emerges from the water, sopping wet?
(b) His father.
4. The situation becomes very reminiscent of what?
(b) The storms in his dreams.
(c) The tragic day when Mafatu's mother died.
(d) Hurrican weather.
5. What would cause Mafatu to lose his spear or line?
(a) The rough seas.
(b) A large fish.
(c) Bad memories would take over his hands.
(d) Other children.
6. From what does Mafatu drink?
(a) A canteen.
(b) One of the green drinking nuts.
(c) A coconut.
(d) The sea.
7. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
(a) Catches a fish.
(b) He flies away.
(c) Flies overhead.
(d) Flies to him.
8. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
(a) She is full of fear.
(b) The food is hard to get to.
(c) She wants the food for herself.
(d) She is incredibly weak from the long battle.
9. What happens to the tiny canoe?
(a) It is lifted into the air and torn to splinters on the reef.
(b) It tips over.
(c) It spins in a circle.
(d) It speeds up.
10. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
(a) A bag.
(b) A gourd.
(c) A box.
(d) A canoe.
11. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) The ridicule from a step-mother.
(b) Endless mocking and ridicule.
(c) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(d) Blame for his mother's death.
12. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) His inability to fight.
(b) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
(c) The silence and disapproval of his father.
(d) His lack of a mother.
13. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
(a) He buries his face in his arms, crying.
(b) He hugs Uri.
(c) He screams.
(d) He cuts his arm.
14. Why does Mafatu forget about being hungry and thirsty?
(a) He sees his goddess.
(b) The sight of land spurring him onward.
(c) His father's canoe is behind him.
(d) Uri has fallen in the water.
15. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
(a) Land in the distance.
(b) A cloudless sky.
(c) Fresh water.
(d) More birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
2. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
3. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
4. What happens just as suddenly?
5. What no longer hangs around his neck?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)