|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do they stay in the sea?
(a) For a few hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) For the whole of the night.
(d) One week.
2. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
(a) Thunder and lightning.
(b) A shadow.
3. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
(a) He fashions spears, nets, and sharkline for the other young boys to use.
(b) He prays to the goddess to help him.
(c) He cries.
(d) He sits and watches the other men.
4. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) There is a school of fish below him.
(b) There is a storm coming.
(c) He can drink the water.
(d) The sharks are circling him.
5. From what does Mafatu drink?
(a) A coconut.
(b) A canteen.
(c) One of the green drinking nuts.
(d) The sea.
6. What does Mafatu hear some of the other boys calling his crafty work?
(c) Woman's work.
(d) A waste of time.
7. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
(a) Fresh water.
(b) A cloudless sky.
(c) More birds.
(d) Land in the distance.
8. What no longer hangs around his neck?
(a) A symbol of the Sea God.
(b) His knife.
(c) A gift from his father.
(d) His canteen.
9. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
(a) A miracle that occurred early in his childhood.
(b) When his father grew a heart.
(c) How he became a member of the tribe.
(d) A life-changing event that happened to him early in his childhood.
10. What is it time for the boys to do?
(a) Eat a meal.
(b) Prepare for fishing.
(c) Say a prayer.
(d) Go to bed.
11. For what does Mafatu search?
(a) Signs of fish.
(b) Signs of Kivi.
(c) Signs of land.
(d) Signs of a storm.
12. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
(a) He screams.
(b) He buries his face in his arms, crying.
(c) He cuts his arm.
(d) He hugs Uri.
13. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(a) Relaxed for the first time.
(b) Slightly nervous.
(d) Gripped by terror.
14. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
(a) In order to have a better relationship with his father.
(b) In order to prove his worth as a fisherman.
(c) To be more helpful.
(d) To get away from those who tease him.
15. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) The silence and disapproval of his father.
(b) His lack of a mother.
(c) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
(d) His inability to fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has a current formed?
2. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
3. What happens eventually and gradually?
4. The next day shows what?
5. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)