|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do they stay in the sea?
(a) For a few hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) One week.
(d) For the whole of the night.
2. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
(a) He fashions spears, nets, and sharkline for the other young boys to use.
(b) He sits and watches the other men.
(c) He cries.
(d) He prays to the goddess to help him.
3. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
4. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
(c) A shadow.
(d) Thunder and lightning.
5. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(a) Uri's body.
(b) His father's canoe.
(c) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
6. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) There is sand beneath his feet.
(b) Uri helps him.
(c) Maui is holding his hand.
(d) His mother's spirit stands him up.
7. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
(a) When his father grew a heart.
(b) A life-changing event that happened to him early in his childhood.
(c) A miracle that occurred early in his childhood.
(d) How he became a member of the tribe.
8. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
(a) He cuts his arm.
(b) He hugs Uri.
(c) He screams.
(d) He buries his face in his arms, crying.
9. From what is Mafatu getting no relief?
(a) Uri's whining.
(b) His hunger.
(c) His fear.
(d) The blistering sun and thirst.
10. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
(a) His father.
11. Where has a current formed?
(a) By the other canoes.
(b) On the other side of the reef.
(c) By the shoulder of the reef passage.
(d) Around her canoe.
12. What does Uri do for Mafatu?
(a) He licks his face.
(b) He catches fish.
(c) He steers the canoe.
(d) His thumping tail provides comfort and reassurance.
13. What happens just as suddenly?
(a) The wind dies down and the sea is still again.
(b) Uri climbs back in the canoe.
(c) The canoe stops moving.
(d) Kivi leaves again.
14. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
(a) No whales were around him.
(b) He has survived.
(c) The storm was not very strong.
(d) The hail lasted only a moment.
15. The next day shows what?
(a) More signs of stormy weather.
(b) No signs of the previous night's storm.
(c) Fish to catch.
(d) An island nearby.
Short Answer Questions
1. When morning comes, who is with Mafatu?
2. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
3. What does Mafatu's mother decide to do?
4. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
5. How are they end up in the churning sea?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)