|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
2. What would cause Mafatu to lose his spear or line?
(a) A large fish.
(b) The rough seas.
(c) Bad memories would take over his hands.
(d) Other children.
3. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(a) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
(c) His father's canoe.
(d) Uri's body.
4. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
(a) Land in the distance.
(b) Fresh water.
(c) A cloudless sky.
(d) More birds.
5. The next day shows what?
(a) No signs of the previous night's storm.
(b) Fish to catch.
(c) More signs of stormy weather.
(d) An island nearby.
6. Who is the only person who has ever been nice to the outcast boy?
(a) His goddess.
(b) His mother.
(d) His father.
7. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
(a) If he is not strong enough.
(b) If he is afraid to use weapons.
(c) If he does not know how to fish.
(d) If he is afraid to venture past the water's edge.
8. Suddenly, what does the bird do?
(a) He flies away.
(b) Flies overhead.
(c) Flies to him.
(d) Catches a fish.
9. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
(a) In order to have a better relationship with his father.
(b) To be more helpful.
(c) In order to prove his worth as a fisherman.
(d) To get away from those who tease him.
10. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
(a) She laughs at them.
(b) She heeds their warning.
(c) She pays them no attention.
(d) She changes her mind and follows them.
11. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
(a) A canoe.
(b) A gourd.
(c) A bag.
(d) A box.
12. To whom does Mafatu pray?
(a) Maui, Goddess of the Fisherman.
(c) His mother.
(d) Moana, the Sea God.
13. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) His lack of a mother.
(b) The silence and disapproval of his father.
(c) His inability to fight.
(d) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
14. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
(a) Slightly embarrassed but eager to keep attempting.
(b) Unfulfilled and ashamed.
(c) Anxious to try again.
(d) Nervous and shy.
15. How does Mafatu feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kivi do after flying overhead?
2. What does Mafatu discover when he surveys the situation?
3. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
4. Where has a current formed?
5. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)