|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do they stay in the sea?
(a) For the whole of the night.
(b) One week.
(c) For a few hours.
(d) Two days.
2. From what does Mafatu drink?
(a) One of the green drinking nuts.
(b) A canteen.
(c) A coconut.
(d) The sea.
3. What is Mafatu amazed and relieved to discover?
(a) The hail lasted only a moment.
(b) He has survived.
(c) The storm was not very strong.
(d) No whales were around him.
4. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
(b) The storm picks up.
(c) The storm lets up.
(d) The sun sets.
5. The next day shows what?
(a) Fish to catch.
(b) No signs of the previous night's storm.
(c) An island nearby.
(d) More signs of stormy weather.
6. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
(a) In order to have a better relationship with his father.
(b) In order to prove his worth as a fisherman.
(c) To get away from those who tease him.
(d) To be more helpful.
7. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
(a) How far away from home he is.
(b) He cannot find his dog.
(c) He is drowning.
(d) He has hit his head.
8. What does the sky cast upon the tiny canoe?
(a) A shadow.
(c) Thunder and lightning.
9. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
(a) They count their catch.
(b) They find a new place to fish.
(c) They slowly head back home.
(d) They head for the safety of dry land.
10. The situation becomes very reminiscent of what?
(a) The tragic day when Mafatu's mother died.
(b) The storms in his dreams.
(c) Hurrican weather.
11. How are they end up in the churning sea?
(a) When Mafatu's mother jumps overboard.
(b) When their boat capsizes.
(c) When the boat begins to leak.
(d) When the boat collapses.
12. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
(a) When his father grew a heart.
(b) How he became a member of the tribe.
(c) A miracle that occurred early in his childhood.
(d) A life-changing event that happened to him early in his childhood.
13. Why does the sight of a shark swimming nearby not stop him?
(a) He is driven by a will to live.
(b) He is hungry.
(c) The water is so cold.
(d) He wants to find Uri.
14. What happens as the current gets quicker?
(a) The wind begins to pick up.
(b) Kivi returns.
(c) Uri falls in the water.
(d) The canoe moves faster.
15. Who does Mafatu begin to follow?
(a) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives them relief from the heat?
2. How does Mafatu feel?
3. How does Mafatu feel about his inability to conquer his fears?
4. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
5. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)