|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) The sharks are circling him.
(b) He can drink the water.
(c) There is a school of fish below him.
(d) There is a storm coming.
2. What happens eventually and gradually?
(a) The sun sets.
(b) The storm lets up.
(c) Mafatu becomes more nervous.
(d) The storm picks up.
3. With what is Mafatu suddenly filled?
4. Why can Mafatu stand up?
(a) There is sand beneath his feet.
(b) Uri helps him.
(c) His mother's spirit stands him up.
(d) Maui is holding his hand.
5. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
(a) She drinks from the coconut.
(b) She dies.
(c) The other fishermen save her.
(d) She loses conciousness.
6. What is Mafatu afraid will disappear, if he takes his eyes off of it?
(a) Uri's body.
(b) His father's canoe.
(c) The wedge of land rising out of the sea.
7. What does the current do to their canoe?
(a) It takes hold of it.
(b) It goes around it.
(c) It spins it around.
(d) It pushes it towards the other canoes.
8. What no longer hangs around his neck?
(a) A symbol of the Sea God.
(b) His knife.
(c) A gift from his father.
(d) His canteen.
9. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) Blame for his mother's death.
(b) Endless mocking and ridicule.
(c) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(d) The ridicule from a step-mother.
10. How does Mafatu feel?
11. How do the other fishermen feel about her decision?
12. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) The silence and disapproval of his father.
(b) His inability to fight.
(c) His lack of a mother.
(d) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
13. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
(a) He has hit his head.
(b) He is drowning.
(c) How far away from home he is.
(d) He cannot find his dog.
14. How does Mafatu react when he finally realizes how truly isolated he is?
(b) Slightly nervous.
(c) Relaxed for the first time.
(d) Gripped by terror.
15. What is Mafatu soon amazed to see?
(a) A cloudless sky.
(b) Fresh water.
(c) Land in the distance.
(d) More birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mafatu's mother finally decide to do?
2. What gives them relief from the heat?
3. What is coming their way?
4. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
5. Where has a current formed?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)