|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 The Island.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Mafatu search?
(a) Signs of Kivi.
(b) Signs of fish.
(c) Signs of land.
(d) Signs of a storm.
2. What makes Mafatu feel all but worthless?
(a) The silence and disapproval of his father.
(b) His lack of knowledge about fishing.
(c) His lack of a mother.
(d) His inability to fight.
3. What does Mafatu's experience with the sea tell him?
(a) There is a school of fish below him.
(b) There is a storm coming.
(c) He can drink the water.
(d) The sharks are circling him.
4. What does he use to pull himself up the slope?
(b) A ladder.
(c) The hanging vines.
(d) A tree.
5. What does he notice as he begins ripping leaves from a banana tree?
(a) Smoke from another island.
(b) The fruit is moldy.
(c) The fruit has been cut cleanly from the branch with a knife.
(d) The fruit is missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
2. What do the other fishermen do after turning their canoes around?
3. Why does Mafatu wonder how he could be a brave leader?
4. What does the boy do when he flings himself onto the floor of the canoe?
5. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)