|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 The Island.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
(a) He is overcome by the power of the sea to intimidate him.
(b) He is only successful for a little while.
(c) He does not have the skills to overcome his fear.
(d) Everyone laughs at him.
2. How does Mafatu feel?
3. The next day shows what?
(a) Fish to catch.
(b) An island nearby.
(c) More signs of stormy weather.
(d) No signs of the previous night's storm.
4. What does he make out of coconut-tree fronds?
(a) A lean-to.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A plate.
5. What leads toward the sea and to a large clearing?
(a) The trail.
(b) A trail of shells.
(c) A stream.
(d) Foot prints.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mafatu convinced will swallow him up?
2. What does Mafatu realize when he is shocked into full awareness by the cold water?
3. What does Mafatu decide to explore?
4. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
5. What symbolizes the courage it took to approach the sacred idol and seize what he needed?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)