|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1 Flight.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
(a) To catch fish.
(b) To swim through the coral.
(c) To look for his father.
(d) To look for sea urchins.
2. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
(a) His father worries about him.
(b) He is perceived to be a bringer of bad luck.
(c) He is not skilled enough to fish.
(d) There are too many fishermen.
3. What happens to Mafatu's mother after raising the coconut to her son's lips?
(a) She dies.
(b) She loses conciousness.
(c) The other fishermen save her.
(d) She drinks from the coconut.
4. Why does Mafatu's mother struggle to feed him?
(a) She is full of fear.
(b) She is incredibly weak from the long battle.
(c) She wants the food for herself.
(d) The food is hard to get to.
5. What does Mafatu do by the shoreline?
(a) He cries.
(b) He fashions spears, nets, and sharkline for the other young boys to use.
(c) He prays to the goddess to help him.
(d) He sits and watches the other men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else taunts him?
2. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
3. Why does Mafatu decide to do this?
4. How does Mafatu feel about the sea?
5. What does Mafatu recall for the reader?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)