|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1 Flight.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened when Mafatu attempts to overcome his fear?
(a) He is overcome by the power of the sea to intimidate him.
(b) He is only successful for a little while.
(c) Everyone laughs at him.
(d) He does not have the skills to overcome his fear.
2. Where has a current formed?
(a) By the shoulder of the reef passage.
(b) On the other side of the reef.
(c) Around her canoe.
(d) By the other canoes.
3. How does Mafatu's mother respond to the fishermen?
(a) She laughs at them.
(b) She heeds their warning.
(c) She changes her mind and follows them.
(d) She pays them no attention.
4. What else taunts him?
(a) His mother, in his dreams.
(b) The sea.
(c) The tribal warriors.
(d) The fish.
5. What does Mafatu have to endure?
(a) Sadness from the loss of his mother.
(b) Blame for his mother's death.
(c) The ridicule from a step-mother.
(d) Endless mocking and ridicule.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are they end up in the churning sea?
2. Why is Mafatu relegated to the shoreline?
3. Into what does he throw "half a dozen green drinking nuts and his fish spear?"
4. Why does Mafatu's mother take him out to the barrier reef?
5. Against what do the fishermen warn her?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)