|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who follows Marguerite to the grave when she finally has a chance to visit it?
2. What gift did Ethan Jordan bring to Abby Welles upon his return from Portsmouth?
3. What is it rumored Ethan paid for Abby's gift?
4. How does Aunt Hespa get across the channel to help treat Debby's burns?
5. What favorite memory of Christmas with the Sisters at the convent does Marguerite have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
2. What supplies have the Sargents run low on? Why?
3. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
4. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
5. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
6. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
7. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
8. Why does Ira take Marguerite on his first visit to see Abby Welles after the long winter? What does Abby give to Marguerite?
9. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
10. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Joel Sargent give Marguerite the opportunity to go to French Canada? Where will Marguerite go once she arrives there? Does she decide to go? Why or why not? How do the other members of the family feel about Marguerite's opportunity? Her choice? How does Caleb reveal his feelings to Marguerite? What does the ending of the novel imply about Marguerite's future with the Sargent family? Is this an optimistic ending?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Aunt Hespa? How does Marguerite come to meet her? What is their relationship like from the first meeting? What does Aunt Hespa have that Marguerite admires? What does Aunt Hespa show Marguerite on their first meeting? What does Aunt Hespa have to teach Marguerite? How many times does Marguerite visit Aunt Hespa to help with chores and projects? What quilt pattern does Aunt Hespa show Marguerite? What gift does Aunt Hespa make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the Sargents throw a party when they are ready to raise the roof of the house? What is special about this occasion? How many of the party goers are expected to help with the work? Why does Dolly not help Marguerite find something a little more appropriate to wear? Why is Marguerite put in charge of the children, including some of the neighbor's children? What animal does Marguerite see trying to eat the cold butter? What does she do about it? What does this say about her? Why do the neighbors think a child's spilled blood in the doorway of the new home is bad luck? Is it?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)