|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who follows Marguerite to the grave when she finally has a chance to visit it?
2. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
3. In part 3, what drink does Ira give the dog when it returns from its fight with the Indians?
4. What news did Seth Jordan bring the Welles that Hannah demands more details about?
5. In part 3, who expresses fear for Pumpkin the dog when the party at the Jordans' notice the smoke on Sargent's Point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
2. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
3. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
4. Why does Ira take Marguerite on his first visit to see Abby Welles after the long winter? What does Abby give to Marguerite?
5. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
6. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
7. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
8. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
9. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
10. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail as it appears in and impacts the plot of the novel, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, citing evidence from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Joel and Dolly
2) Joel and Ira
3) Marguerite and Caleb
4) Marguerite and Dolly
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)