|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
2. What is a jog?
3. What does Ira fashion to remove the sap from the sugar maple trees?
4. Which of the children begins to show the most ill effects from the harsh winter weather?
5. How does Marguerite keep going in the right direction during her attempts to retrieve Aunt Hespa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
2. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
3. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
4. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
5. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
6. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
7. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
8. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
9. What supplies have the Sargents run low on? Why?
10. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail as it appears in and impacts the plot of the novel, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Aunt Hespa? How does Marguerite come to meet her? What is their relationship like from the first meeting? What does Aunt Hespa have that Marguerite admires? What does Aunt Hespa show Marguerite on their first meeting? What does Aunt Hespa have to teach Marguerite? How many times does Marguerite visit Aunt Hespa to help with chores and projects? What quilt pattern does Aunt Hespa show Marguerite? What gift does Aunt Hespa make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)