|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 3, where does Marguerite put the children to sleep while the men investigate the fire on Sargent's Point?
2. At the end of part 3, what is the first word Debby clearly speaks?
3. What chore does Marguerite take over in Ira's absence?
4. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
5. How many Indians does Marguerite see in the cover and in the woods at the end of Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ira take Marguerite on his first visit to see Abby Welles after the long winter? What does Abby give to Marguerite?
2. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
3. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
4. What does Marguerite learn was the only thing the Sargents routinely do to celebrate Christmas?
5. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
6. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
7. What type of gathering do the Jordans have shortly after Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan return from Portsmouth?
8. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
9. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
10. What warning is stated in the final chorus of the song Aunt Hespa sings once more during the corn shelling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail as it appears in and impacts the plot of the novel, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
What is unusual about the winter weather the first winter the Sargents are on their farm? What does winter weather prevent? What change in sleeping habits does the cold weather force the family to make? How does Debby get burned? How does this impact the family? What does Marguerite do to try to save her? Does it work? How does Marguerite feel about Debby's injuries and subsequent death? How does Dolly react? What does this reaction say about Marguerite? About Dolly?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)