|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 3, what drink does Ira give the dog when it returns from its fight with the Indians?
2. What chore does Marguerite take over in Ira's absence?
3. Why does Marguerite tell the children people in France and England dance the Maypole?
4. What item does Marguerite wish she had at the beginning of part 3 so that she might pray for Ira Sargent and Abby Welles?
5. What are the guests at the Jordans' corn shelling expected to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
2. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
3. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
4. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
5. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
6. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
7. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
8. What does Marguerite learn was the only thing the Sargents routinely do to celebrate Christmas?
9. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
10. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Frontier life
Essay Topic 2
Who is Caleb? How does he treat Marguerite in the beginning of the novel? What does he think when Marguerite risks her life to help him save the animals during a storm? Does this change his perception of her? Why does Caleb lead Marguerite and the children into the woods and leave them alone? What happens when Marguerite tries to find her way home alone? How does Caleb feel about this? What do Caleb and Marguerite do together the night Debby is burned? How does this alter Caleb's opinion of Marguerite? How does Caleb feel when he learns that Marguerite might go to Canada to live in a convent? How does he react when she chooses to remain with the Sargents?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Joel Sargent? Why has he sold everything he owns for a farm on the coast of Maine? What does Joel hope he can do with a farm? Does he? What does Joel find when he arrives at the farm? Why does Joel not allow his neighbors to talk him out of living somewhere else, such as one of the empty islands in the channel? Why does Joel insist on working his own farm that he paid for? What does this say about his character? How does Joel treat his children? How does he treat Marguerite? Why does Joel offer to send Marguerite away at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)