Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dolly quickly insist on putting a splint on Joel's injured leg?
2. What is a trough?
3. In part 4, what do the twins draw straws to do?
4. Who does Marguerite think of when she and the Sargents indulge in the maple sugar?
5. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following in detail and how each impacts the development of the plot in the early sections of the novel:
1) The physical setting of the novel: Isabella B, the ship
2) The physical setting of the novel: Maine.
3) The time period of the novel: 1743
Essay Topic 2
Why does Joel Sargent give Marguerite the opportunity to go to French Canada? Where will Marguerite go once she arrives there? Does she decide to go? Why or why not? How do the other members of the family feel about Marguerite's opportunity? Her choice? How does Caleb reveal his feelings to Marguerite? What does the ending of the novel imply about Marguerite's future with the Sargent family? Is this an optimistic ending?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Frontier life
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)