|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is one of the ears of corn red?
2. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
3. What food does Patty expect to be served at the Jordans' corn shelling?
4. In part 3, what drink does Ira give the dog when it returns from its fight with the Indians?
5. What chore does Marguerite take over in Ira's absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
2. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
3. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
4. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
5. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
6. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
7. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
8. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
9. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
10. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ethan Jordan? Who has he been courting since before the arrival of the Sargents? How does the arrival of the Jordans change Ethan's romantic intentions? How does Ethan react to this change? What does this say about Ethan? About the time period in which the novel is set? Who is Seth Jordan? What warning does he give the Sargents upon their initial arrival in the channel? What does Seth think of their refusal to listen to his advice? What does Seth do to help or hinder the Sargents? Why does he do this?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)