|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marguerite call the button she presses into the Indian's hand before leaving him?
2. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
3. What does Caleb ask Marguerite to take care of in his absence?
4. Why did Marguerite not attend Debby's burial?
5. What is the response of the sailors when Caleb asks to go with them to Boston?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
2. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
3. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
4. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
5. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
6. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
7. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
8. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
9. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
10. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ira Sargent? Why has he come to help settle his brother's new farm? What does Ira hope to get out of the work on the farm? Who catches Ira's eye from nearly the beginning? Who else was courting this girl? When does Ira learn that this girl has chosen him? Why does Ira not marry her immediately? What does Ira want to do before he can marry? Why does Ira leave on a ship for a time int he middle of summer? How does this impact the work on the farm?
Essay Topic 2
What is a sugar maple? What does the Sargent family do with their sugar maple trees that brightens everyone's spirit in the aftermath of the winter? What other activities does the family begin to renew after the long winter? Why does Ira take Marguerite with him to visit Abby Welles? What does Abby give to Marguerite that makes her very happy? What does Marguerite later do with this item? Why does Marguerite sacrifice something that meant so much to her? What does this say about Marguerite's character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail as it appears in and impacts the plot of the novel, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)