|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ira take to the Welles on his first visit after the worst of the winter storms?
2. What news did Seth Jordan bring the Welles that Hannah demands more details about?
3. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
4. What chore are the children asked to work in order to prepare the soil for planting?
5. What does Joel do while in the throes of a fever in part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
2. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
3. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
4. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
5. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
6. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
7. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
8. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
9. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
10. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Marguerite saddened that the Sargents do not celebrate Christmas? Why don't they celebrate Christmas? How does Marguerite have her own private celebration? What does she do? Where does she do it? What does she think about as she celebrates? What gifts does she want to give to the children? Who does she run into during her private celebration? What does this person tell her? How does Marguerite feel about meeting this person? What does she give him? Why does she not tell anyone about this encounter?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Ira Sargent? Why has he come to help settle his brother's new farm? What does Ira hope to get out of the work on the farm? Who catches Ira's eye from nearly the beginning? Who else was courting this girl? When does Ira learn that this girl has chosen him? Why does Ira not marry her immediately? What does Ira want to do before he can marry? Why does Ira leave on a ship for a time int he middle of summer? How does this impact the work on the farm?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)