|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
2. In part 3, whose cruel comments have caused Marguerite to feel sad and old?
3. How does Aunt Hespa get across the channel to help treat Debby's burns?
4. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
5. Why is one of the ears of corn red?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
2. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
3. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
4. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
5. What type of gathering do the Jordans have shortly after Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan return from Portsmouth?
6. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
7. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
8. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
9. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
10. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
Essay Topic 2
What is a sugar maple? What does the Sargent family do with their sugar maple trees that brightens everyone's spirit in the aftermath of the winter? What other activities does the family begin to renew after the long winter? Why does Ira take Marguerite with him to visit Abby Welles? What does Abby give to Marguerite that makes her very happy? What does Marguerite later do with this item? Why does Marguerite sacrifice something that meant so much to her? What does this say about Marguerite's character?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)