|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the response of the sailors when Caleb asks to go with them to Boston?
2. What item does Marguerite wish she had at the beginning of part 3 so that she might pray for Ira Sargent and Abby Welles?
3. What sound does Marguerite hear in the fog that convinces her there are Indians surrounding her?
4. What chore are the children asked to work in order to prepare the soil for planting?
5. What news did Seth Jordan bring the Welles that Hannah demands more details about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
2. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
3. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
4. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
5. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
6. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
7. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
8. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
9. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
10. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Joel Sargent? Why has he sold everything he owns for a farm on the coast of Maine? What does Joel hope he can do with a farm? Does he? What does Joel find when he arrives at the farm? Why does Joel not allow his neighbors to talk him out of living somewhere else, such as one of the empty islands in the channel? Why does Joel insist on working his own farm that he paid for? What does this say about his character? How does Joel treat his children? How does he treat Marguerite? Why does Joel offer to send Marguerite away at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)