|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date does Ira Sargent tell Marguerite it will be the day after she has visited Debby's grave?
2. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
3. What does Ira fashion to remove the sap from the sugar maple trees?
4. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
5. What does Caleb ask Marguerite to take care of in his absence?
Essay Topic 1
What is a sugar maple? What does the Sargent family do with their sugar maple trees that brightens everyone's spirit in the aftermath of the winter? What other activities does the family begin to renew after the long winter? Why does Ira take Marguerite with him to visit Abby Welles? What does Abby give to Marguerite that makes her very happy? What does Marguerite later do with this item? Why does Marguerite sacrifice something that meant so much to her? What does this say about Marguerite's character?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail as it appears in and impacts the plot of the novel, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)