|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marguerite tell the children people in France and England dance the Maypole?
2. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
3. What is a trough?
4. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
5. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of gathering do the Jordans have shortly after Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan return from Portsmouth?
2. Why does Ira take Marguerite on his first visit to see Abby Welles after the long winter? What does Abby give to Marguerite?
3. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
4. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
5. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
6. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
7. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
8. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
9. What warning is stated in the final chorus of the song Aunt Hespa sings once more during the corn shelling?
10. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Joel Sargent give Marguerite the opportunity to go to French Canada? Where will Marguerite go once she arrives there? Does she decide to go? Why or why not? How do the other members of the family feel about Marguerite's opportunity? Her choice? How does Caleb reveal his feelings to Marguerite? What does the ending of the novel imply about Marguerite's future with the Sargent family? Is this an optimistic ending?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Ethan Jordan? Who has he been courting since before the arrival of the Sargents? How does the arrival of the Jordans change Ethan's romantic intentions? How does Ethan react to this change? What does this say about Ethan? About the time period in which the novel is set? Who is Seth Jordan? What warning does he give the Sargents upon their initial arrival in the channel? What does Seth think of their refusal to listen to his advice? What does Seth do to help or hinder the Sargents? Why does he do this?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)