|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Indians does Marguerite see in the cover and in the woods at the end of Part 4?
2. How does Aunt Hespa get across the channel to help treat Debby's burns?
3. What cargo does the Fortunate Star carry?
4. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
5. What about her own appearance does Marguerite become aware when sitting near Abby Welles?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
2. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
3. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
4. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
5. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
6. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
7. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
8. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
9. What does Marguerite learn was the only thing the Sargents routinely do to celebrate Christmas?
10. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Joel Sargent? Why has he sold everything he owns for a farm on the coast of Maine? What does Joel hope he can do with a farm? Does he? What does Joel find when he arrives at the farm? Why does Joel not allow his neighbors to talk him out of living somewhere else, such as one of the empty islands in the channel? Why does Joel insist on working his own farm that he paid for? What does this say about his character? How does Joel treat his children? How does he treat Marguerite? Why does Joel offer to send Marguerite away at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Joel Sargent give Marguerite the opportunity to go to French Canada? Where will Marguerite go once she arrives there? Does she decide to go? Why or why not? How do the other members of the family feel about Marguerite's opportunity? Her choice? How does Caleb reveal his feelings to Marguerite? What does the ending of the novel imply about Marguerite's future with the Sargent family? Is this an optimistic ending?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)