|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marguerite and Dolly get Joel back to the house after he is injured?
2. Who does Dolly blame for the baby's burns?
3. In part 4, what do the twins draw straws to do?
4. Who does Marguerite think of when she and the Sargents indulge in the maple sugar?
5. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
2. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
3. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
4. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
5. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
6. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
7. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
8. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
9. What supplies have the Sargents run low on? Why?
10. Why does Ira take Marguerite on his first visit to see Abby Welles after the long winter? What does Abby give to Marguerite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ira Sargent? Why has he come to help settle his brother's new farm? What does Ira hope to get out of the work on the farm? Who catches Ira's eye from nearly the beginning? Who else was courting this girl? When does Ira learn that this girl has chosen him? Why does Ira not marry her immediately? What does Ira want to do before he can marry? Why does Ira leave on a ship for a time int he middle of summer? How does this impact the work on the farm?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Marguerite saddened that the Sargents do not celebrate Christmas? Why don't they celebrate Christmas? How does Marguerite have her own private celebration? What does she do? Where does she do it? What does she think about as she celebrates? What gifts does she want to give to the children? Who does she run into during her private celebration? What does this person tell her? How does Marguerite feel about meeting this person? What does she give him? Why does she not tell anyone about this encounter?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)