|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dolly blame for the baby's burns?
2. What news did Seth Jordan bring the Welles that Hannah demands more details about?
3. Why does Marguerite tell the children people in France and England dance the Maypole?
4. How do Marguerite and Dolly get Joel back to the house after he is injured?
5. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
2. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
3. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
4. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
5. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
6. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
7. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
8. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
9. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
10. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Marguerite saddened that the Sargents do not celebrate Christmas? Why don't they celebrate Christmas? How does Marguerite have her own private celebration? What does she do? Where does she do it? What does she think about as she celebrates? What gifts does she want to give to the children? Who does she run into during her private celebration? What does this person tell her? How does Marguerite feel about meeting this person? What does she give him? Why does she not tell anyone about this encounter?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Joel Sargent? Why has he sold everything he owns for a farm on the coast of Maine? What does Joel hope he can do with a farm? Does he? What does Joel find when he arrives at the farm? Why does Joel not allow his neighbors to talk him out of living somewhere else, such as one of the empty islands in the channel? Why does Joel insist on working his own farm that he paid for? What does this say about his character? How does Joel treat his children? How does he treat Marguerite? Why does Joel offer to send Marguerite away at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)