|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
2. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
3. What do the Sargents do with the sap once they have drained it from the trees?
4. Who taught Marguerite to dance the pavane?
5. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
2. Why does Ira take Marguerite on his first visit to see Abby Welles after the long winter? What does Abby give to Marguerite?
3. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
4. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
5. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
6. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
7. What warning is stated in the final chorus of the song Aunt Hespa sings once more during the corn shelling?
8. What supplies have the Sargents run low on? Why?
9. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
10. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Caleb? How does he treat Marguerite in the beginning of the novel? What does he think when Marguerite risks her life to help him save the animals during a storm? Does this change his perception of her? Why does Caleb lead Marguerite and the children into the woods and leave them alone? What happens when Marguerite tries to find her way home alone? How does Caleb feel about this? What do Caleb and Marguerite do together the night Debby is burned? How does this alter Caleb's opinion of Marguerite? How does Caleb feel when he learns that Marguerite might go to Canada to live in a convent? How does he react when she chooses to remain with the Sargents?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, citing evidence from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Joel and Dolly
2) Joel and Ira
3) Marguerite and Caleb
4) Marguerite and Dolly
Essay Topic 3
Why do the Sargents stop in Falmouth after the storm? What do the children do when they leave the ship? What do they find? Who tells them about Indians? Why do these stories entertain the children but frighten the adults? What does Dolly Sargent think of these stories? How do these stories foreshadow trouble for the Sargent family? What do these stories say about the time period in which the novel is set? Do these stories follow what the reader should know about the history of this time period and this area of Maine? Explain.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)