|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food remains the staple of the Sargents' diet during the long, harsh winter?
2. Why does Dolly quickly insist on putting a splint on Joel's injured leg?
3. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
4. What does the Indian call the person who helped heal him in Quebec?
5. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
2. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
3. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
4. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
5. Why does Ira take Marguerite on his first visit to see Abby Welles after the long winter? What does Abby give to Marguerite?
6. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
7. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
8. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
9. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
10. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, citing evidence from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Joel and Dolly
2) Joel and Ira
3) Marguerite and Caleb
4) Marguerite and Dolly
Essay Topic 2
Why do the Sargents throw a party when they are ready to raise the roof of the house? What is special about this occasion? How many of the party goers are expected to help with the work? Why does Dolly not help Marguerite find something a little more appropriate to wear? Why is Marguerite put in charge of the children, including some of the neighbor's children? What animal does Marguerite see trying to eat the cold butter? What does she do about it? What does this say about her? Why do the neighbors think a child's spilled blood in the doorway of the new home is bad luck? Is it?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)