|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marguerite say over the grave when she first visits Debby's grave?
2. What does Ira take to the Welles on his first visit after the worst of the winter storms?
3. How does Aunt Hespa get across the channel to help treat Debby's burns?
4. In part 3, whose cruel comments have caused Marguerite to feel sad and old?
5. What favorite memory of Christmas with the Sisters at the convent does Marguerite have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
2. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
3. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
4. What warning is stated in the final chorus of the song Aunt Hespa sings once more during the corn shelling?
5. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
6. Why does Ira take Marguerite on his first visit to see Abby Welles after the long winter? What does Abby give to Marguerite?
7. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
8. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
9. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
10. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ethan Jordan? Who has he been courting since before the arrival of the Sargents? How does the arrival of the Jordans change Ethan's romantic intentions? How does Ethan react to this change? What does this say about Ethan? About the time period in which the novel is set? Who is Seth Jordan? What warning does he give the Sargents upon their initial arrival in the channel? What does Seth think of their refusal to listen to his advice? What does Seth do to help or hinder the Sargents? Why does he do this?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the Sargents throw a party when they are ready to raise the roof of the house? What is special about this occasion? How many of the party goers are expected to help with the work? Why does Dolly not help Marguerite find something a little more appropriate to wear? Why is Marguerite put in charge of the children, including some of the neighbor's children? What animal does Marguerite see trying to eat the cold butter? What does she do about it? What does this say about her? Why do the neighbors think a child's spilled blood in the doorway of the new home is bad luck? Is it?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Joel Sargent? Why has he sold everything he owns for a farm on the coast of Maine? What does Joel hope he can do with a farm? Does he? What does Joel find when he arrives at the farm? Why does Joel not allow his neighbors to talk him out of living somewhere else, such as one of the empty islands in the channel? Why does Joel insist on working his own farm that he paid for? What does this say about his character? How does Joel treat his children? How does he treat Marguerite? Why does Joel offer to send Marguerite away at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)