|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught Marguerite to dance the pavane?
2. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
3. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
4. In part 3, whose cruel comments have caused Marguerite to feel sad and old?
5. What sound does Marguerite hear in the fog that convinces her there are Indians surrounding her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
2. Why does Ira take Marguerite on his first visit to see Abby Welles after the long winter? What does Abby give to Marguerite?
3. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
4. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
5. What does Marguerite learn was the only thing the Sargents routinely do to celebrate Christmas?
6. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
7. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
8. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
9. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
10. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Frontier life
Essay Topic 2
What is a corn shelling party? Why do the Jordans throw one? What do these parties centered around work say about the time period? What type of dance does Marguerite do after the shelling is done? Why do some of the neighbors find it shocking? Why does Aunt Hespa express the opinion that it was a nice dance? What does this dance say about the differences between Marguerite and the people to whom she is bound?
Essay Topic 3
What is unusual about the winter weather the first winter the Sargents are on their farm? What does winter weather prevent? What change in sleeping habits does the cold weather force the family to make? How does Debby get burned? How does this impact the family? What does Marguerite do to try to save her? Does it work? How does Marguerite feel about Debby's injuries and subsequent death? How does Dolly react? What does this reaction say about Marguerite? About Dolly?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)