|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marguerite keep going in the right direction during her attempts to retrieve Aunt Hespa?
2. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
3. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
4. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
5. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
2. What supplies have the Sargents run low on? Why?
3. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
4. What type of gathering do the Jordans have shortly after Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan return from Portsmouth?
5. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
6. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
7. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
8. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
9. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
10. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the Sargents throw a party when they are ready to raise the roof of the house? What is special about this occasion? How many of the party goers are expected to help with the work? Why does Dolly not help Marguerite find something a little more appropriate to wear? Why is Marguerite put in charge of the children, including some of the neighbor's children? What animal does Marguerite see trying to eat the cold butter? What does she do about it? What does this say about her? Why do the neighbors think a child's spilled blood in the doorway of the new home is bad luck? Is it?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Marguerite saddened that the Sargents do not celebrate Christmas? Why don't they celebrate Christmas? How does Marguerite have her own private celebration? What does she do? Where does she do it? What does she think about as she celebrates? What gifts does she want to give to the children? Who does she run into during her private celebration? What does this person tell her? How does Marguerite feel about meeting this person? What does she give him? Why does she not tell anyone about this encounter?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
4) Point of view
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)