|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who follows Marguerite to the grave when she finally has a chance to visit it?
2. What type of dress that Abby is making does she show Marguerite on her visit in part 4?
3. At the end of part 3, what is the first word Debby clearly speaks?
4. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
5. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning is stated in the final chorus of the song Aunt Hespa sings once more during the corn shelling?
2. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
3. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
4. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
5. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
6. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
7. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
8. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
9. What supplies have the Sargents run low on? Why?
10. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail as it appears in and impacts the plot of the novel, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
What is a sugar maple? What does the Sargent family do with their sugar maple trees that brightens everyone's spirit in the aftermath of the winter? What other activities does the family begin to renew after the long winter? Why does Ira take Marguerite with him to visit Abby Welles? What does Abby give to Marguerite that makes her very happy? What does Marguerite later do with this item? Why does Marguerite sacrifice something that meant so much to her? What does this say about Marguerite's character?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the Sargents stop in Falmouth after the storm? What do the children do when they leave the ship? What do they find? Who tells them about Indians? Why do these stories entertain the children but frighten the adults? What does Dolly Sargent think of these stories? How do these stories foreshadow trouble for the Sargent family? What do these stories say about the time period in which the novel is set? Do these stories follow what the reader should know about the history of this time period and this area of Maine? Explain.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)