|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
2. How does Marguerite keep going in the right direction during her attempts to retrieve Aunt Hespa?
3. Who follows Marguerite to the grave when she finally has a chance to visit it?
4. How many Indians does Marguerite see in the cover and in the woods at the end of Part 4?
5. What is a reel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
2. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
3. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
4. What does Marguerite learn was the only thing the Sargents routinely do to celebrate Christmas?
5. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
6. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
7. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
8. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
9. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
10. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a sugar maple? What does the Sargent family do with their sugar maple trees that brightens everyone's spirit in the aftermath of the winter? What other activities does the family begin to renew after the long winter? Why does Ira take Marguerite with him to visit Abby Welles? What does Abby give to Marguerite that makes her very happy? What does Marguerite later do with this item? Why does Marguerite sacrifice something that meant so much to her? What does this say about Marguerite's character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following in detail and how each impacts the development of the plot in the early sections of the novel:
1) The physical setting of the novel: Isabella B, the ship
2) The physical setting of the novel: Maine.
3) The time period of the novel: 1743
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Frontier life
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)